Running For Miles | ✓

By Gemma_Grace_

Eden Rivers is the new girl, she transferred from Pennsylvania in the middle of the year, on the run from an... More

Running For Miles
Characters
Prologue
01 ➳ Meeting Lila
02 ➳ New Girl
03 ➳ My Personal Bully
04 ➳ Your Fly's Undone
05 ➳ Tater Tots
06 ➳ Emotionless Player
07 ➳ Are You Stoned?
08 ➳ Few Screws Lose
09 ➳ You're All Pathetic
10 ➳ Loneliness And Anxiety
11 ➳ It's A Drug Thing
12 ➳ Lila Fucking Hayes
13 ➳ Jump Off Of A Cliff
14 ➳ I'm Just Fucked Up
15 ➳ Drugs Are Bad
16 ➳ Rich People
17 ➳ My Old Friend Molly
18 ➳ In A Friend Way
19 ➳ Lila's Almost Doppelganger
20 ➳ As In Lakyn Westbrook?
21 ➳ Option Two
22 ➳ The Comedown
23 ➳ The Party
24 ➳ The Rooftop
25 ➳ Arden Roson
26 ➳ Sorry Dad
27 ➳ New Haven
28 ➳ Pinky Promise
29 ➳ Trauma
30 ➳ I Love You Too
31 ➳ Hard, Meaningless, Sex
32 ➳ Kian Karrington
33 ➳ I Don't Do Relationships
34 ➳ This Taste's Like Shit
35 ➳ Feelings Are Overrated
36 ➳ Eden Likes Hale?
37 ➳ Until Lila Hayes
38 ➳ Baby Steps
39 ➳ You Looked Pretty Too
40 ➳ Until Miles Hale
41 ➳ Four Different Blood Types
42 ➳ Suck Him Off
43 ➳ Enemies With Benefits
44 ➳ I Love You
45 ➳ Lila's Story
46 ➳ Beautiful Ghost
47 ➳ Boys Can Cry Too
48 ➳ He's Broken
49 ➳ That Wasnt Sex
50 ➳ Bye Mom
51 ➳ Found You
52 ➳ Bit Fuckin' Weird
53 ➳ The Kian Thing
54 ➳ Forever And Always
55 ➳ I Would Punch Hale
56 ➳ Are You Two Fucking High?
57 ➳ Forever And Ever
58 ➳ Incest
59 ➳ Goodbye
60 ➳ Truman, Kian and Blaire
61 ➳ Lakyn or Boston
62 ➳ Let's Play A Game
63 ➳ I Killed Arden Rosen
64 ➳ They Will Never Find Him
65 ➳ Get Off Me
66 ➳ Blood, Tears, And Heartbreak
67 ➳ I Deserved Hale
69 ➳ Beautiful and Damaged
70 ➳ It's Just Us Now
Epilogue

68 ➳ What Did You Do?

5.7K 157 321
By Gemma_Grace_

RUNNING 

FOR MILES

Something that I have learned about people is that if they do something once, they'll without a doubt do it again, and again, and again. No matter how many times you yell for them to stop, no matter how many times you tell them how much it hurts you.

They will always manage to do it again.

For the second time in my lifetime, I have laid beneath Boston, only like the other time it wasn't because I wanted to. It was due to my arms being bound and the hurting pain in my lower body which was caused by him.

Again, I lay there, numb. 

Numb to the world. Numb to every painful thrust. Numb to his touch. Numb to the words he threw at me about how much he loved me and how good I felt to how much of a slut I was and that I will never escape him again.

I also felt so emotionless and drained. Mostly drained, drained of ever being able to feel a thing ever again, or until I am able to allow myself to heal properly but that could take years and years as this has got to be the worst thing he has ever done.

This is the last straw. I can't keep going through shit like this, I hate it and I hate this vile world. I just want to leave it and never ever come back to it ever again. Maybe I will, maybe it's time to free myself of all of this hurt.

Maybe it's time for me to just jump into the lake and hope to god that something pulls me down to the very bottom of the lake.

Making my final decision and deciding that my time is finally up and that I am going through with my plan to just go to the lake and jump into it.

Slowly I got up and started to put on my clothes, not before wiping a small patch of blood off of my leg. I then crept out of the room and ran down the stairs. Boston had left me to go clean himself up in the bathroom so it should give me some time to figure out how to get out of here.

"Eden?" a voice asked as they caught my wrist.

I looked into a pair of green eyes, Truman. Ignoring him I shoved him out of my way as I ran towards Nate's front door where I then slammed it closed behind me as I ran up his gravel driveway, hoping that Truman won't tell Boston, not until I find a way to get away from here.

As I started to walk faster as tears rolled down my face, I was in pain and I just wanted it all to end, I'm so sick of shitty things like this happen to good people like me. I'm broken out of my slight thoughts and tears when I then hear car tyers crunching on the gravel behind me as the headlights shine through the dark driveway. 

"Need a lift?" Truman asked as he yelled through the car and out the window toward me.

At the end of the day, I needed a lift, no matter who it was from but Truman? It's risky as I know all too well that he has probably talked to Boston about me leaving. So, I don't think it's a wise idea to get into the car with him.

"He doesn't know." he said taking a breath, "But hell catch on soon if you don't make up your mind." he stated truthfully as he looked over his shoulder back toward the party.

Fuck it, I need to get out of here.

I nodded my head as I tried to stop my lip from quivering, "Yes please."

Instantly I took a step or two towards his car and hopped into the passenger side door where I put on my seatbelt. Truman smiled softly as he then pressed his foot onto the gas pedal and we started to move up and out of where Nate lived.

"I don't expect you to talk to me but where are you planning on going?" he asked after a minute or two of silence.

I sighed out as I wiped m cheeks of any stray tears that escaped my eyes, "Dayton Estate." It was all I had to say to him as he instantly stopped looking at me and kept his eyes fixed on the road in front of him.

My eyes darted to the clock on Truman's car which read 'twelve o'clock'. I was late to meeting Lila, Lakyn, and Hale, I hope that they stay for a while. If they don't, they are going to think that I am gone but I guess that wouldn't be too bad.

Being anything but positive is weird for me. 

That's something that I regret. I regret not trying to do what is best for me, no matter what it was, no matter who it might have hurt, I should have no matter what just done everything to better myself. I should have put myself first above everyone.

I guess I'm sorry, to myself.

I'm sorry that you tried so desperately to fix others when your own hands were shaking. I'm sorry that I didn't give you enough time to heal, that I let you seal the wounds of everyone else whilst your own were bleeding.

I'm sorry that there were days when smiling hurt but you forced yourself to laugh so that no one else had to worry about you. I'm sorry that you gave up all of your time and effort for people that didn't give the same amount in return. I'm sorry that there were nights where you cried yourself to sleep and no one bothered to understand why.

And lastly, I am so sorry that I did not love you when you deserved to be loved.

Within half an hour I've finally managed to arrive at my desired destination. I thanked Truman bluntly for bringing me here, which he only nodded in return before driving off and away from the highly expensive estate.

I put in the code for the front entrance gate. When it popped open, I instantly ran through it and ran down the road, when I came into view of my house, I got instantly excited as all I wanted was to run there and hug my father and brother, but sadly, there was no sign of life in the house.

After ripping my eyes off of my house, they then landed on the lake. I had no regrets about this, I was ready I've endured so much and I don't think I can take another hit from life as I am a glass object, I have a few scuffs and marks but I am so close to shattering into millions of sharp tiny pieces.

It's my time, I'm ready to die.

I once again started to run down the grass towards the doc, my lungs begged for air as I was so out of shape that it isn't funny, but the quicker I could get there the quicker all of my pain will be released and gone from my already aching body.

As I got closer and closer to the old wooden dock, I placed a foot onto the first plank but as soon as I looked out to the very end, I noticed something. There was someone there, there was someone standing at the very end of it.

All I could make out was the tall silhouette of the person. Instantly a face popped into my head, it was Hale's. Everything within me was telling me that it was hale and that he was waiting for me, he didn't give up on me and instead, he decided to wait for me in hopes that I hadn't been taken away by Boston.

Excitement rushed through me as I then started to run down the dock and towards Hale. My body felt as if it were a magnet, pulling me directly towards him as even though my knees felt as if they were about to buckle, I kept going.

Hale is the only person that has enough power within him to make me feel better, to un-numb me, and help me heal from Boston's cruel actions. He has the power to make me not want to end my life as he is the person that I want to live for, that I want to live my life with.

As I got closer and closer, I was getting ready to jump into his arms and never let go of him, but I stupid forever thinking that that could be a possible income.

I was only a few meters away from him when I instantly stopped, my eyes widened with tears already prickling within them as my hand flew to my mouth.

Right before me was something that I would have never expected, it was not in fact Hale who was standing at the very end of the doc, it was Boston and another person. But what had made things extremely worse was that Boston stood over a crouched down Hale...

With a knife to his throat.

Instantly I felt déjà vu. A few months ago, I had had this same dream, the only difference was that it didn't occur at the lake but instead it had taken place at mine and Hale's spot... the cliff which was on the outskirts of the city. 

"Hello, Darling." Boston grinned evilly over at me.

I tried to speak but I couldn't, no matter how hard I tried it was no use as not a single sound managed to escape my mouth. It felt as if Ursula, the evil sea witch from the little mermaid, herself had taken my voice from me. 

Tears started to prickle in my eyes as Hale looked so scared but I got the feeling that he was also somehow calm. He didn't move around or try to fight Boston, obviously, the guy has a knife to his throat but he didn't have tears in his eyes and his breathing remained steady.

If it were me in his place I would be gasping for air, my chest would be moving quicker than the speed of light and tears would be running down my eyes like a waterfall. 

"Please." I said as tears one by one ran down my cheeks as my lip quivered up and down, "Please don't hurt him Boston."

Boston laughed evilly, "Why shouldn't I hurt him?" he asked as he looked down at Hale with a cold and murderous glare, "He took the one thing I wanted most in this world." he sighed out, "Eden darling you're a smart girl, what did I say if anyone would get in my way?"

He'd hurt them.

I remember Boston saying that he would do whatever it takes to get me back if I had ever left him. He would never stop searching and that he would even risk people's lives if it meant he could get me back into his arms.

Even if that meant taking someone's life.

"I truly don't understand why you love him." Boston continued as he kept his eyes down on hale as he looked at him with confusion, "I am so much better than him."

I don't think that he will ever be able to understand why I love Hale and not him. I think it has something to do with Boston being somewhat unable to understand basic human emotions and empathize with people.

Boston has way too much of a temper when he is mad, Boston is too sick and twisted to ever be able to understand what real love is. He showed it to me for a small while when we first started dating but I now believe that it was all fake.

None of the love he had shown me was real, if it were real, then he would have treated me like Hale has treated me. He wouldn't have ever felt the need or allow himself to lay a hand onto me, instead, he would want to protect me from people like that.

"I've changed Boston." I sighed out the cold air, "The Eden that you loved is dead." I stated coldly as I looked straight into his brown eyes.

What I had said couldn't have been more.

These last few months, almost a year now, I have become an entirely different person than I was when I had first moved here. I used to be so shy, closed off, and damaged, all things that were caused by my ex-boyfriend. Instead, I am now finally happy, not afraid of speaking my mind, and free.

Up until now.

Boston eyed me for a second before he continued to speak his mind, "If that's true then I'm killing either him so that you will go back to being the old Eden I loved or I kill the both of us so that we can be together... forever." 

A silver blade pressed against Hale's once bronzed skin, though now it was pale. His large hand was wrapped around Boston's arm as he held the sharp knife to his neck with slightly more pressure than before. Hale looked mortified as thick, red blood began to trickle down the nape of his neck. 

If he applies anymore pressure, he will slit Hale's neck, and, god, I cannot handle the burden of knowing someone killed him because of me. I cannot let this happen and that's why I found myself speaking o well yelling.

"Let me kill him!" I blurted out as fear was now evident on Hale's perfect face.

Boston's eyes narrowed into slits towards me, "That has got to be some sort of trick." he stated skeptically as he kept his eyes on me but I noticed that he slowly took the pressure off of the knife on Hale's neck.

"It's not, I promise." I stated dryly as I stepped towards him with my hand out, getting ready to take the sharp hunter's knife from Boston, "If you want it to only ever be just us, allow me to kill him and we will go to Green Meadow, right now... just you and me."

Boston stood silently, it seemed to me that he was contemplating whether he trusted me or not. He took me by surprise when he took the knife away from Hale's neck and proceeded to hand the lethal object to me. 

Big mistake.

Quickly I jumped back a few steps away from Boston as he kept holding Hale in place on his knees. I held the knife up to my wrist, right where the large main vein is located, "Let him go Boston." I threatened as I touched the silver onto my skin, "Or I'll kill myself and Hale can tell them that it was you."

Boston's eyes went wide as for a minute he was caught completely off guard, "Don't Eden, come on please don't hurt yourself darling." 

"Oh, so now you care about me." I stated bluntly as a tear welled up in my eyes.

I don't understand why he cares now. Why does he care now when I hurt myself but he had never shown any form of emotion except for happiness when he would inflict large amounts of pain onto me when we used to live in Green Meadow.

I laughed dryly as I kept the knife to my wrist, "If I would have known that all I had to do was cut myself for you to care about me then I would have done just that years ago."

Within an instant I swiped the blade down my wrist, thick crimson blood started to slowly trickle down my slightly pale arm. I made sure not to fully slit the vein but I wanted the cut to at least pour out with blood. 

I don't care if what I did was a bit cringe or pathetic. I did it because I wanted Boston to genuinely hurt, I wanted him to feel the harsh pain that he had always managed to make me feel. I wanted him to open his eyes and realize how truly vile he is.

"Eden!" Hale yelled snapping me out of my thoughts.

My eyes snapped over onto the two boys, it was just as Hale had managed to find a whole heap of his strength to shove Boston, off of him. Boston still held onto Hale causing them to stumble back, almost falling off of the end of the dock and into the dark lake water.

I let out a scream as I bolted over to the two boys who continued to struggle and fight each other. They were so close to falling into the water that I knew I had to do something, I had to do something to save Hale from the dark depths of the lake.

Without think I held the sharp hunter's knife in my hand, I swiftly moved towards Boston who was trying to get his arms around Hales throat that had thankfully stopped bleeding. Once I was behind him, I stabbed the large blade into his shoulder.

Boston instantly let go of Hale and turned around to face me, his face had contorted into pain and sadness. But I didn't give him any sympathy, I wanted to but I didn't feel bad for doing it, he deserves to feel all types of pain.

He started to slowly move towards me as if he were going to try and hurt me or something but before he could Hale shoved him into the water. The massive splash wouldn't have been heard from the shore which I was grateful for as what I was going to do next is highly illegal.

"Help me!" he yelled as his head came out of the water as he started panicking, "I can't swim!"

Why should I save him when he's the one that never ever tried to save me.

All I could do was glare down at him, I bent down on the edge and put my hand out, but it wasn't to help him. As he grabbed onto my left arm which stung due to the cut, I quickly used my other hand to push his head underneath the water.

I kept the pressure on his head as tears started to run one by one down my face. Bubbles started to come up to the surface as he let out a scream but no one could hear him, only me and possibly Hale who stood on the dock behind me.

Both his hands tried to get my now two hands off of his head but it was no use as he grew tired from trying to tred the water, in hopes of keeping him but it didn't work. It takes only a few minutes to drown people as water pools up in their lungs, causing them to drown.

This is my payback and Boston's much-deserved karma, he deserves this. He deserves to die but even that feels too generous as he deserves a long and painful death, something like being slowly set on fire or being tortured almost to death but not quite, he doesn't deserve to die from drowning by the hand of his ex-girlfriend, ex-lover.

I watched as his hand slowly stopped gripping at mine, instead, he slowly sunk to the bottom as the long bits of kelp swallowed his legs, slowly pulling the rest of him down and into the forest where he would then disappear forever, I hope.

Instantly I stood up as I started to gasp for air but I soon calmed myself with deep breaths and the strong thought that I am now finally free. I am now finally free from Boston as he is never going to come back to hurt me.

He's dead and I killed him.

Realization took over me, I killed someone. I killed someone with a family. I killed someone that was only eighteen. I killed someone so young and that will never be able to full fill their life. I killed someone that deserved it. 

I felt someone behind me but I couldn't look at them as I was happy that Boston was dead but I can't believe that I had just killed someone. It's not in my nature to do something like that. I never thought that I would ever be able to kill someone but I guess things change.

"Eden." Lila said softly. "Where is he?" 

All I felt was numb, I couldn't speak and I could hardly breathe, I offered her the briefest of glances as I contemplated even showing her where he was what would she think of me? 

Not giving a shit as I could barely feel anything, I slowly turned to face the lake, I extended my arm out as I pointed downward, towards where Boston was still slowly sinking down into the forest of kelp and dark murky water.

"Eden. . ." Lila's voice shook as she stared at the side of my head. "What did you do?"

Hey Hi Hello!

As always I hope you enjoyed the chapter, this was crazy to write. most of you must be so happy just like me that Boston is dead but I'm sure you guys feel bad for Eden. what were your thoughts on the whole chapter?

The next chapter is going to be a small-time jump and some much deserved hale and eden time.

If you guys are ever in need to talk to someone, please please please send me a message on Instagram, Gemxwrites.

Please don't forget to vote, leave a comment, follow me on Instagram @gemxwrites and go read 'Loving Lakyn' by @sharnahespinosa

GemmaGrace

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 28.7K 30
Cordelia Holland had everything and then in one second she lost it all. She was the girl that everyone was jealous of but when her father gets impris...
1.4M 57.6K 39
Meet seventeen-year-old Amelia Stark and welcome to her tragic life. Unfortunate circumstances have brought her and her twin sister, Anna, to Califor...
230K 2.1K 67
"Why can't we be together?" "Because then i'll have to kill you." - Cassie lived with her big sister Ariene, She never really knew her parents, Cassi...
48.5K 971 28
Ella Stone is used to blending into the background. With her insanely athletic family and the fact she can barely run the mile. it's a pretty easy th...