Unseen: Mass Effect FanFiction

By RedzDragon

Unlike her famous Spectre brother, Captain Shepard has always preferred to work in the shadows and away from... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Epilogue

Chapter 10

243 3 0
By RedzDragon

Garrus waited patiently outside as Dr. Megan come in to see Aster. The doctor had been notified of the earlier incident with Dr. Chakwas and her family. It was duly noted that Dr. Megan was not pleased by the event. Aster's recovery depended on her getting rest and staying stress-free so that the implants could fully be integrated into her body. An argument wouldn't be beneficial for anyone.

To say the least, Garrus was shocked at how everything occurred. He thought that Aster would like to see her soon to be step-mother given the circumstance, he was wrong. He couldn't believe that Aster would lash out like that then again, he hadn't known Aster that long. He could still remember the shock he felt when he learned the truth about the so-called "Dr. Lang."

It happened right after they had docked on the Citadel and the "agent" had been taken straight to surgery. Four turians he hadn't seen before boarding the cruiser and took her away. Nihlus had the asari and himself follow him straight to the Council chambers. Nihlus would elaborate on why but Garrus was used to following orders without question.

There the file that Dr. Lang had given the asari was viewed, shedding light on the mission and Dr. Lang's real identity. The Council was shocked, to say the least. They never suspected that Alec was the Director of the Science Academy or that he had already built the A.I. No agent sent had ever been able to return with any useful information, well not until Aster was sent.

During the "trial" Alec revealed that he knew that Dr. Lang was sent undercover, he claimed to know everything about Dr. Lang and proceeded to tell the Councilor everything he knows about her including her real name. It took everything Garrus had to stay still, he never suspected anything. On top of that, he couldn't help but feel the guilt of not being able to help her seep in. To make matters worse, Alec said he used Aster to help him attached the A.I to a human. He wouldn't say who that human was but they would never suspect it. Councilor Tevos took action and Alec Ryder was persecuted without hesitation.

Now the search for the A.I was underway and Aster was their main suspect and intel. Councilor Sparatus had appointed Garrus as Aster's "personal guard", to keep her from harm was what he had said. Garrus knew that what he really meant was for him to keep an eye on her just in case she was a traitor and tried to flee. Even though Garrus didn't know Aster that well, he just knew that Aster would never turn her back on the Alliance or the Council. He felt it in his gut, as humans like to say.

                                                                                  ***POV Change***

Shepard was taking a nap when the sound of a knock on the door woke her up. She didn't answer and hoped they would go away. Lately, she had been feeling more tired than before and she didn't know why.

"Miss. Shepard," someone called out stepping into the room. "Are you awake?"

"I am now," Shepard replied turning her head toward the door. "It's Shepard, not miss anything."

A small frame turian walked in and wearing a lab coat.

"Can I help you?" Shepard asked trying to straighten up a bit.

"I'm Dr. Solana," she said in greeting. "I'm here to check your implants."

"Of course," Shepard said pealing the covers off and managing to swing her legs out of bed."

Dr. Solana set down the datapad and undid the back of the paper gown.

"If I may ask," Shepard said as the doctor did her work.

"What's that?" Doctor asked.

"Why are you checking my implants?"

"You landed on Palaven for emergency surgery," Dr. Solana replied. "The damage was extreme and we only had turian based implants. We were told by the Council to save you at any cost."

"Hence why I am being seen by yourself," Shepard finished.

"Everything looks fine," the doctor said straightening up and tying up the back of the gown. "Have you gotten much rest?"

"I feel a bit more tired than before," Shepard answered. "All I want to do is sleep."

"That's normal," Dr. Solana replied. "The implants are meant for turians, so the wear of them can take their toll on someone who doesn't have the same anatomy."

"That's good to know," Shepard mumbled scooting back.

"Do you need help, Shepard?" Dr. Solana asked seeing her struggle a bit.

"I can manage," Shepard replied. "No one is going to help me anyway. All everyone looks at is a broke soldier."

"They all have a pitied look on their face when they see me," Shepard continued. "The same look you had when you first saw me."

"Shepard, I didn't-" Dr. Solana began feeling distraught.

"Don't worry about it," Shepard answered getting back into bed. "I'm used to it already. I took a peep at what was left." Or rather SAM found a picture from her medical files of how the stump turned out; without the bandages. It wasn't pretty.

Dr. Solana stayed quiet and sat on the edge of the bed not saying a word. What could anyone say in that situation?

"Do you mind if I come by and visit?" Dr. Solana asked after some time. "I'll still come and do your checks but I mean afterward too."

"Sure," Shepard replied. "I figure I might have a lot more time in my hands soon enough."

Weeks went by before Shepard didn't feel as tired as she did before and it took that many weeks for Shepard to hear a word about meeting with the Council. Dr. Solana had stopped by earlier to check on her implants but promised to come later. Shepard was in the process of putting on her uniform when someone barged into the room.

"Captain Shepard," Garrus said barging in. "The Council is waiting for you."

"I am aware that they are," Shepard replied annoyed, she was having a hard time buttoning the buttons in the front.

"The meeting is taking place in ten minutes," Garrus explained.

"Well instead of panicking," Shepard said giving him a quick glance. "How about you help me with these buttons?"

Garrus came over and with a lot of misplaced touches to her breasts finally managed to button her coat. Both of them rushed to take the elevator up to the Presidium.

"Captain-," Garrus began but got interrupted by Shepard.

"I am a Captain now?" Shepard asked smartly. "So much for our arrangement."

"There will be no more arrangements," Garrus replied not looking at her. "I'm sure given the circumstance; I don't think it will work out."

'Ouch,' SAM replied. 'Was he your lover or something?'

'Only for a night,' Shepard replied annoyed. 'Good thing I never thought it could be more.'

"I agree," Shepard said indifferently. "I do hope you had a great dinner with your family and your special guest."

With that, the elevator door opened and Shepard rushed ahead leaving Garrus behind with a surprised look on his face.

"You're just in time," Ambassador Udina said seeing her walking up the steps.

Shepard followed Ambassador Udina up the steps and waited patiently for the Councilors to begin the meeting. Garrus stood on the other side of the room. While they waited, Captain Anderson and John hurriedly joined them as well. They didn't say anything to her and neither was she inclined to speak to them either.

"We'll get started," Councilor T said indicating for Shepard to stand before the Council.

"Captain," Councilor Valern began. "Would you like a chair?"

"I'm fine," Shepard replied coming to stand before them. "Thanks for the offer."

"Captain Shepard," Councilor Tevos began. "We are here because of the evidence that you've gathered against Alec Ryder and the allegations of the creation of an A.I."

"The evidence against Alec Ryder is irrefutable," she continued. "However, there are some concerns that have been brought up."

Shepard stayed silent; she knew what they were getting at. They thought she had something to do with the A.I being created.

'It's more than that,' SAM commented as the councilor continued speaking. 'I suggest you remain calm as much as possible. You are in for hours of questioning.'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

181 4 23
The galaxy is at war. As Commander Jane Shepard has been announcing for more than two years, the Reapers are a reality and their unstoppable advance...
364K 9.2K 111
Male Jedi reader insert #10 in Ahsoka #2 in starwarsfanfiction #1 in theclonewars #10 in starwars /// y/n and the clones finally loaded the crates. H...
28.8K 809 23
You are my last hope, My last chance of sanity, Can you save me? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ " Garrus, I'm a monster like no other. I have been consume...
183 0 28
Earthborn Akuze survivor Renessa Shepard's life has been nothing but choice after choice, sacrifice after sacrifice. When she reaches the end of the...