Bad [Harry Potter Fanfiction]...

By Emmalee_Sky

[Completed] (Fanfiction / Romance) Who's Bad? I'm Bad. * Five years ago, the Second War ended in the Wizardin... More

Bad
1 | A new case
2 | The Leaky Cauldron
3 | An answer to her prayers
4 | A break with friends
5 | New client
6 | Plagued by what ifs
7 | Pieces fall into place
8 | Today was the day
9 | Polyjuice Potion
10 | Not the Ministry
11 | A priceless token
13 | Anticipation
14 | Display of magic
15 | Fyrefox
16 | Do you understand?
17 | Whiplash
18 | The oddest feeling
19 | Another shot
20 | Parkinson Manor
21 | A few things to say.
22 | Priority
23 | Something has changed.
24 | Letters
Timing is everything.
25 | Dinner
26 | This was business.
27 | Cut out the competition
28 | We need a plan.
29 | Monkey Suit
30 | Promise me.
31 | Ready
32 | The Ball
33 | No man
34 | So much for exciting.
35 | The future together
36 | Handled
37 | Lure
38 | One option
39 | Aren't you forgetting something?
40 | Home
Epilogue | The future
Epilogue | It's time.
BAD Series
All in BAD Company
A Few BAD Men

12 | Perfect Opportunity

13.6K 320 92
By Emmalee_Sky

A shock shot through Harry. He set his jaw, hands clasped behind him as he searched the crowd. Fyrefox was here, he knew it. Just waiting for the right moment to strike. Harry's gaze rolled over the President and the Minister, standing by the pedestal.

His hand clenched the other behind his back. So many people were in the crowd, more than half were men. It could be any of them. Maybe the man to Harry's left by the lifts, or the man by the front in dark green trousers and white glasses. He bit the inside of his cheek as reporters from the Daily Prophet and a few other papers jumped over each other to ask questions and get statements. He'd never get used to it, not in a million years.

Any moment now, he thought, scanning the people. Movement caught his eye, but it was only the reporters getting a little out of hand. Sharp stepped away to settle it and returned a few minutes later.

Harry caught sight of Hermione in the corner, away from the prying eyes of the reporters and most of the crowd. Her gaze never left the President, but she spoke to a woman beside her.

Dark hair, eyes caught on the pedestal. She responded to Hermione every few minutes but she seemed miles away. The glint in her eyes...

He shook his head. You're working, Potter! He yelled at himself and returned back to the crowd.

There was Andromeda Tonks towards the center of the crowd. Aqua blue hair poked out through people. Warmth spread through him. Teddy. His godson. One of the only shining things in his life. Though guilt seeped through. He hadn't seen the boy in weeks. First this assignment and the last. At least they'd gotten a day in Diagon Alley. He'd been able to get away from his paperwork and spend the day with him. It'd been nice to push the world away and just be with Teddy. They needed to do it again. With Teddy, he could be himself.

"Anything?" Ron whispered.

Harry glances over at him before returning to the crowd. "No."

"Nothing out of the ordinary," Sharp added. "If he was going to act, it would've happened already."

"Why hasn't he?" Harry whispered.

"What're you talking about?" Jack asked from Sharp's other side.

Harry peeked at him from the corner of his eye, but didn't answer, back to searching. He was right. Firefox wanted the artifact. He knew it.

"A menace to society," Ron muttered.

"Huh." Jack watched the crowd. "Sounds like trouble." A few beats passed them he added, "Maybe you should clue me in, guys."

"Fyrefox is a thief," Sharp said softly. "We believe he's here to steal the President's gift."

"We're ready for him when he does," Ron spoke up from the other side of Harry. "Don't worry."

"Well, shit. Never a break in this line of work, is there?" Jack groaned. "Just one more thing." He exhaled, and Harry looked at him. The American's gaze was on the President, and Harry noticed the tip of his wand sticking out of his hand.

Damn, this wasn't what he wanted. He knew the Americans deserved to know, but he didn't want to affect this alliance or have them spook Fyrefox. Shite.

"Do you think he'll change his mind?" Jack asked. "There is additional security. Maybe the extra freaked him."

Harry shook his head. That'd be too easy. "He's targeting the Ministry. I don't think anything's going to scare him off." He watched a man in dark glasses and black cloak walk to the front of the crowd. The hairs on his body stood on end. Was this- Except the man took a camera from his pocket and took a picture.

Nope.

"Do you know why?"

"A threat," Harry said.

"A threat?" Jack's entire posture changed. "Potter, is the President in danger?"

"Fyrefox is a thief," Harry reminded him. "He's only interested in material items. He not interested in people. The President is safe. He's got his people and ours."

"He's more interested in causing trouble than hurting people," Sharp said softly.

"Not a dark wizard," Jack whispered, gaze on the President again.

Harry remembered reading in the papers about a cell of dark witches and wizards who'd tried to assassinate the President and the other leaders in MACUSA a little over a year ago. Then in a few memos Harry had been privy to, he'd learned the President spent some time in a hospital but they hadn't said for what.

"We'll keep him safe," Harry told him.

Jack turned, a grin on his lips. "So much for a peaceful trip."

Regardless of his words, Jack's shoulders hadn't relaxed and his wand was still subtly clenched in his hand.

The Minister steered the President back towards them.

"All done?" Sharp asked when the pair stopped in front of them.

"For now," Kingsley said, looking over his shoulder at the crowd. "A moment, Potter."

"Sure." He followed the man a few feet away. "Something wrong?"

"Did you pick up anything?" Kingsley asked, running his hands down his navy blue cloak. "It's hard to see much of anything with all the lights and noise and sea of faces." He shook his head. "I'd hate to say that becoming Minister has affected my Auror training but, we'll, the truth is the truth." He chuckled.

Harry smiled. "Your instincts and skills are fine. We're just here to back you up."

Kingsley grinned. "Thank you for lying." He sobered. "So, I gather no one stood out."

Exhaling, Harry shook his head. "Like you said, sea of faces, but no one screamed thief. I'm sorry."

"Don't worry. You'll catch him." Kingsley laid his hand on Harry's shoulder. "We have faith in you."

Too bad he didn't have much faith in himself at that moment. He followed Kingsley back to the group.

"I have paperwork to finish." Kingsley looked at his watch.

"I could use a break," President Quahog said, rubbing his neck. "I hate traveling."

"What an old man thing to say," Jack muttered.

The President's eyebrows rise. "Are you still upset? I apologized before we arrived, dammit."

And off they went, arguing softly, but Harry's gaze drifted back to the dwindling crowd, though most had left for the day.

It didn't make sense. He'd been so certain that Fyrefox would attack at the unveiling. This was the perfect opportunity. What had he missed?

"I'll be patrolling tomorrow night during the ball," Jack said, drawing his attention. "I never get to have fun at things like that. Maybe, though, after, I could have a dance-"

"Jack," the President said.

He scoffed. "After work is done, of course."

And it clicked. Security was ready, more than originally planned as Jack had said before. But the ball tomorrow? It would be harder to stay focused while the people danced and socialized.

"Damn," he whispered. He was a fool. He should've realized it sooner, but he'd been so caught up in the plan and the need to catch the thief. He got ahead of himself.

"Potter? What's wrong?" Kingsley asked.

Harry looked up to see the small group watching him. He cleared his throat, pushing his glasses up. Time to fess up. He explained.

No one spoke at first.

"Are you sure?" Ron asked, looking over Harry's shoulder at what remained of the crowd. "I mean, now seemed as good a time as any."

"The ball's better," Sharp added. "More people in an enclosed space."

Harry nodded.

"Let's discuss this in my office." Kingsley nodded towards the lifts.

The President waves at the smaller group and a few witches blushed, waving back and giggling. Harry caught Jack rolling his eyes.

"Let's go, Mr. President," the man said, lying a hand on his back and steering him away from the crowd.

"Don't be a spoilsport, Jack," the President told him.

That made Harry smile. Jack simply clicked his tongue but kept moving.

Once in the lift, the four of them stood in front of the Minister and President.

"Do you drink, Potter?" Jack asked.

"Jack," The President started.

"It's a simple question," Jack mumbles, crossing his arms.

"Why?" Harry asked, frowning. Sometimes the American said the oddest things.

"Drinking with someone can tell you a lot about them."

Harry eyebrows rose. Did it really?

"You don't drink?" Jack asked a moment later.

"Who doesn't?" Ron asked.

"We can meet in Potter's office later tonight," Sharp said as the doors opened, the floor announced. He stepped out, leading the Minister and the President. Ron followed. Harry and Jack flanked them.

"He doesn't say much, does he?" Jack whispered after a few minutes.

"Sharp?" Harry asked, grinning. "A man of a few words."

*               *               *

The three Aurors left the Minister's office, off to their work, leaving Jack with the President and the Minister. His gaze followed Jackson Sharp until he disappeared. Sighing, he shut the door and turned back to the office. The two men were talking, but his boss' eyes kept darting towards him every few minutes.

Time to go, he thought, running his hands down his trousers. "If you'll excuse me, I'm going to check on my Aurors. I'll be back. Let me know if you need me." He slipped out before either of them could reply. Once out in the hallway, he rubbed his hands together and looked both ways, trying to remember the map in his mind. A few people passed by, but none stopped to chat. Lovely. Okay, if he turned left, he was pretty sure it'd lead him to the lifts then from there he'd go to the second level.

He probably should've gone with the others. But he needed to make sure the President was safe and put. The bastard had a tendency to wander without Aurors. After the Trudon incident, one would think he'd be more caution. No. Not him.

Blood, God there was so much blood. Don't move, Sam. Stay with me. Hey, open your-

Stop!

He shook his head and continued walking. Focus on something else. The thief, what had they called him, Fyrefox? A thief interested in the Ministry of Magic. Maybe now wasn't the best time to be here. The President would never leave now. He'd want to help now. He fought a groan.

If it's only been him here, he'd be more than happy to help out with the thief. Maybe get to know Auror Sharp a bit better. He grinned. Damn, what a man. He sighed.

"Where are you going?"

Jackson Sharp stepped into the hallway, and Jack's grin grew. "I need to check in with my people at the Auror Headquarters."

With a nod, Sharp led him towards the lifts. "This way, Auror Times."

"Jack, please," he corrected. He never liked it when people called him that. There'd been an Auror Jack in every generation of his family going way back. Hearing it always made him feel like just another one of them. He preferred Jack. More personal. "But you can call me whatever you like," he added with a wicked grin.

One dark eyebrow rose. "Jack is fine."

Jack chuckled. "That'll do."

The lift doors opened and they stepped in. A few others followed, pushing them towards the back. And as the doors were closing, someone jumped in, knocking the woman in front of Sharp back. He cursed, bumping into Jack.

"Sorry," he said.

"Oh, you're fine. You could always get closer. It's pretty crowded in here." He smiled.

The tips of Sharp's lips twitched. "Are you always this forward?"

"It depends," Jack admitted, leaning back against the wall.

"On what?" Sharp asked, tilting his head.

Jack licked his lips and ran his eyes over the man beside him. All hard lines, hard gaze, hard build. "On who I'm talking to, of course."

Sharp smiled, and Jack's heart sped up. Oh man, when you smile at me like that-

The lift doors opened, the announcer calling out the floor. Sharp cut through the others, leaving Jack follow, and boy would he follow. He'd follow the man down to the deepest pits of Hell if he smiled at him like that again.

They passed people dressed in robes, cloaks, and no-man clothes. Talking loud, huddle in the corners, lugging around equipment.

"Here we are," Sharp said, holding the door open for him.

Jack stepped in and spotted his people. "Thanks, Sharp. I'll see you later." He winked and was off. He caught Sharp's bye just as he reached them. He looked back but the door was closing on him. He turned back. "Guys, I need a minute." He nodded towards and empty room. They followed and once inside, he shut the door behind them. "I think there's something we should prepare for."

"What's going on? Is the President okay?" Auror Tanner asked, brushing his brown goatee.

"He's fine. I left him in the Minister's office. I'll join him once we're done here," Jack said.

"Problems already?" Auror Gonzalez asked, her dirty-blond braid falling over her shoulders as she shook her head.

"Because of you?" Auror Dieguez asked. She shrugged her shoulders when Jack looked at her. "You're a troublesome jefe, what can I say?"

"Bite your tongue. I'm a great boss," Jack said, glaring at her.

Aurors Mejia, Garcia, Douglas, Michaels, Easter and Cable started arguing, but he interrupted them.

"Really? Can't I just talk?" he asked, shaking his head. When they quieted down, he started. "So, there's this thief, Fyrefox who..." and on he went, catching his team up.

*               *               *

"So, you think tomorrow's the big day?" Jack asked, taking another sip of his Ogden's Old Firewhiskey as he leaned back on the chair in front of Harry's desk. "The Alliance Ball or whatever it's called."

"It makes sense," Sharp said, running his fingers through his hair. He looked down at his empty glass on the desk. "The man's playful but not malicious. The Ministry's his next target, and the Golden Unicorn Horn is what he's going after."

"We'll catch him." Ron finished the remainder of his drink.

Harry nodded, finishing his own drink then grabbed his spelled decanter and refilled the four glasses. Each thanked him and took a sip.

"Aren't you worried you're overthinking this... maybe just a little?" Jack asked, crossing his ankles.

Harry watched him from above the rim of his glass. The American was relaxed, sipping from his third glass, his gaze drifting towards Sharp every few minutes.

"Overthinking? No, definitely not," Harry said. "He'll be at the ball. I know it." He took another sip.

"He has to know we'll be ready for him," Sharp said, shaking his head. "After announcing himself, there's no way he doesn't know." He held his glass on his thigh, tapping the rim with his index finger.

"And when you catch him?" Jack held the glass between his hands, look between the others. "He goes away to that fancy prison you have in the middle of nowhere?"

"You ask a lot of questions," Sharp said, tilting his head.

"I'm curious," Jack replied, shrugging. "Shoot me."

"Why would we shoot you?" Ron asked, eyebrows furrowed.

Jack laughed, slapping his leg. "It's a saying. It means... nevermind. You're expressions are hilarious."

"You're strange." Sharp shot him a look.

Jack grinned.

"Yes, he'll go to Azkaban," Harry spoke up. He took another sip, and it burned the whole way down.

"Don't you think that's a bit much?" Jack asked. "He's a thief, not some harden criminal. You still have Dementors guarding the prison?"

"No," Ron corrected, pointing at him with the same hand that held his glass. A few drops spilled over the edge. "Bloody hell. Oops. No, Aurors do it now."

"That's better." Jack nodded then took a sip.

"It is, but Fyrefox is still a criminal. He's robbed plenty of people, and if the Golden Unicorn Horn is stolen and the alliance falls apart.. it could ruin things between the President and the Minister," Harry explained. He couldn't let that happen. Not when the wizarding world was finally seeing good change.

Jack frowned. "I don't think the President would pull back because of something like that but I get what you're saying."

"So, we're expecting him to show himself tomorrow at the ball." He could picture it in his mind. "We'll have additional security in the ballroom, both in uniform and undercover. Both the President and Minister will be thoroughly protected at all times, of course." He nodded when Jack held up his glass to that. "And around the pedestal, there will be spells and enchantments. When Fyrefox goes for it, we'll be there," Harry said, looking into his glass, seeing his reflection in the liquid. He'd be right there when it was time.

"Is he always like this?" Jack whispered.

Harry blinked, looking up.

Jack was leaned towards Sharp, and the three of them stared at Harry.

"When he's on a case." Sharp nodded.

"Ever since I met him," Ron added.

"It's intense," Jack pointed out. "You'd give one of my people a run for their money. Tanner's so intense, all the time, it drives me up the wall." He grinned, and Harry knew he didn't mean a single word.

"You have no idea." Ron chuckled. He checked his watch and sighed. He got to his feet, and they looked at him.

"Where're you going?" Harry asked, righting his glasses.

"Don't tell me you're drunk already!" Jack laughed.

"No bloody way, mate," Ron told him.

"Bloody? Mate? I can't believe you actually say that. Do you say cheerio and-and cheers too?" Jack teased.

"Bugger off." Ron grabbed his cloak from the back of his chair. "Unlike the rest of you, I've got a wife. If I don't get home soon, I'll be stuck on the couch."

"Wife, shmife!" Jack laughed again, leaning back in his chair. "How boring! Go on. More for us." He waved Ron away.

"We'd better be going as well," Sharp said, getting to his feet. "Tomorrow's going to be a long day."

"Boo!" Jack groaned by finished the rest of his glass and put it on the desk.

Harry nodded, finishing the remainder of his own. He cleaned the glasses and slid them into his drawer with the flick of his wand. As he ushered them out of the office and headquarters, they headed off to the lifts. When they reached the atrium, Harry, Ron and Sharp turned left but Jack stopped, frowning.

"What's wrong?" Sharp stopped too.

"I'm staying at the hotel with the President. How do I... get... there?" he asked, looking both ways.

"Best if I take you. You'll get lost and walk into Merlin-only-knows what." Harry rubbed his temples. He stirrings of another headache were growing. Dammit, he needed to take a potion before he went to sleep. Something strong. He needed sleep. Sharp was right. Tomorrow was going to be a long day. He fought a yawn.

Sharp waved him off. "You get some rest. I'll show him the way. See you tomorrow, Potter, and Weasley, say hello to Hermione for me." With that said and a small wave from Jack, the two set off to the fireplaces while Harry and Ron walked over to the apparition area. With a bye, they disapparated. Ron to his lovely wife, and Harry to his empty, cold bed.

He removed the protection wards, replacing them after stepping through the door. He stumbled through the house and was asleep the second he hit the bed.

*
Oh my God! And that chapter is done! That was a long one. So, Fyrefox didn't strike! Hah, suckas!!!! Lmfao let's see what happens next. Also, what did you guys think about Jack's bit? I love him so much. He's such a fun character to write. Share your thoughts!! Anyway, as always, thank you so much for all your support! I really appreciate it <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

965 43 13
Harry returns for his final year of Hogwarts, much to his dismay. Ron and Hermione at his side, things have changed and not many people know how to d...
19.5K 620 23
Muggle Hinny Au "Stop being grumpy on the first day of the Senior year" "I was delighted until you showed up" "C'mon, you couldn't possibly hate me t...
80.5K 767 53
After the War there's cry, after the War there's pain, after the War there's distruction, but after the War there's also hope, there's love, there's...
89.5K 2K 42
GUYS!! This fic is currently having a rewrite. It was my first fic and I feel like I can do so much better. So if you have it in your reading list pl...