Cuphead and Mugman in "Fate W...

Von HaleyBurns7

Taking place after my other story, "A Choice Between Two Worlds", it follows Cuphead and Mugman as the Devil... Mehr

The Aftermath...
Broken Promise
A Renewed Bond
Familiar Faces
I'm an Outsider...
A Failed Mission
Home
A Shadow Emerges
Problem Solving With Science
A Vision From Hell
Confidence vs. Fear
The Diagnosis
Training Begins...
Not Words But Actions
A Sinking Feeling
Punishment Falls On Deaf Ears
A Mutated Mishap
The Final Nightmare....?
Stealing the Spotlight
Teamwork or Solo Work?
The Midnight Duel
A Step In the Right Direction
You're So Busted!
New Goals
Who Are You?
Friend or Foe?
A Quick Detour
The Deed Must Be Done!
Battle at Mt. Inkwell
A Bad Omen
Interview with a Demon
A Splashing Revelation
Boys to the Rescue!
What I Wouldn't Do For A Smoke
Possessed Brawlers
A Suffocating Predicament
Spoonfred's Trial
The Secret Basement
A Confession
You Are Alone, Little Mug
He Knows Where We Live!
An Uninvited Guest
The Duel
Get Help!
A Change of Heart
Sheltered From the Past
The Kettle and the Faun
A Passed Burden
Exile
Terms of Agreement?
The Contract
Who's to Blame?
Is This Heaven?
Home Sweet Mess
The Story of Young Dice
The Plan
The New Monster
An Unexpected Ally
The Great Battle
I Can't Change It
I Can't Change It (Part 2)
Expelling the Demon
Domain of the Overlords
Friend Not Foe

Was This the Right Decision?

340 11 9
Von HaleyBurns7

Mugman woke up the following morning and rolled over in his bed. The sheets went with him, creating a cocoon around his body. A smile came to his face when he saw a body in Cuphead's bed. It took him a few seconds to remember that it wasn't actually his brother there. His smile quickly turned to a frown. How he longed to have his family back. Mug tried to put a smile back on his face when Spoonfred rolled over and began stirring. It was a weak one but still a smile nonetheless.

"Morning, Mugman. You feeling any better?" The young spoon groggily asked as he sat up and stretched out his arms.

"Yeah, actually!" He said with more enthusiasm than he meant.

"Oh?" The utensil finished rubbing his eye when the mug child's words hit him. "Really?" He beamed. "Perhaps we should have a look at your wound then?"

Mug nodded. He then began to lift up his shirt. Spoonfred assisted in peeling the wrappings off. Both boys tensed up in fear at how it would look. The spoon and mug stared at the wound that had faded to a mere scar like the others had the previous evening. All four of the puncture marks had sealed up and were returning to the natural color of his glass skin. Even the bright white pigmentation that surrounded the area had melted back to normal. No longer was that area enflamed or irritated. His body was saying that the Miracle Heal had done what it was supposed to do.

The young utensil looked up at him with an ever-growing joy.

"Well, what do you think, Mugman? Should we take it off for good?" He urged. The mug child smiled and gave a slow nod. Spoonfred carefully took the rest of the wrappings off his body and proceeded to throw them in the trash. Mug let his black shirt fall gently over his torso. He smiled as the spoon came charging back into the room. They stared at one another in silence for a moment. For Spoonfred wanted to ask him a question, but didn't know how the mug would react. Just last night his attitude seemed pretty negative about the subject of rescuing his family from the Devil. The sterling silver body shifted uncomfortably as his gaze swept to the floor. He pretended to kick an invisible pebble as he stuttered out some form of a question.

"So.....how are you feeling about-?"

But before the utensil could even finish his sentence, powerful gusts of wind sounded outside the house. A large crash to the ground rumbled the mug's piece of land as the wind ceased to whip around. The two boys gave a quick glance to one another. Neither one of them were sure what they would find outside the house. Mugman slowly slid out of his bed and cautiously approached the window. His gloved fingers apprehensively pushed the windowed doors outward. Creaks accompanied their movements. The air hung still in that moment. No breeze flowed through the opened windows. The boys tensed as they peered into the outside world.

"Do you see anything?" Spoonfred asked as he crept around Mug's bed. He then plastered himself to the wall and snuck up on the window. His little concave head cautiously leaned out and back in so fast that he barely caught a glimpse of anything other than the wooded area behind the mug's house.

Both the boys yelped in fright as a large green head thrust itself in as far as it could go. They both fell back onto Mugman's bed, curling up together to protect themselves. Mug and Spoonfred gave a sigh of relief when they realized it was only Grim. Did the reptile really have to make such an entrance and scare them to death? Both of them wondered this as the large head still lingered in the bedroom. His tan muzzle was nearly touching the young mug's bed as they started to uncurl themselves. For they half expected it to be someone – or something – much worse than their friend.

"Sorry to bother you boys so early," Said the green dragon. "But we have an issue on the east end of Inkwell."

"What kind of issue?" Mug probed and got up. His brown boots dropped down to the floor right in front of the dragon, forcing Grim to back off a little.

"I think it's better if you see it for yourself." The reptile said, flicking his small ears back against his head. Mugman looked back at Spoonfred. The utensil shrugged and motioned for the mug to make a decision.

"It's your call." He said.

"Let's go." The mug child replied. He then turned his head back to the dragon. "It may have something to do with my family." Grim's ears flicked back up straight at the boy's serious tone. For it seemed that the young mug had experienced a change of heart over the course of the night. Spoonfred noticed this change as well. It made the utensil happy to know that the little mug was returning to the person he had known a few days ago. The spoon happily followed his friend on the back of the dragon. There they found Hilda already situated between two of its spikes, ready to go. The two boys greeted the witch and settled themselves down in the spaces between spikes in front of her.

Once all of his passengers were ready to go, the mighty dragon took to the sky. It only took a few flaps of the wings to bring them well over the house and trees. Mugman and the others watched intently as they traveled quickly to the other side of the island.

Well, you seem much happier this morning. The demon pointed out. For a new passion of hope and strength was burning in the child's heart.

Yeah, I thought about what you said last night. Mug confessed. ....and you were right. I was acting like a total coward. Being scared is a natural response, but it shouldn't define who I am or what I do. I'm still scared, but I can't let it get in the way of saving Cuphead and Elder Kettle.

The parasitic creature just silently smiled at the return of the person it used to know.

And I want to thank you for being there for me. It meant a lot to hear that you think of me so highly.

Remember that I'm not the only one you can turn to, Mugman. It reminded him and made the child's mug turn around to see the two other friends sitting behind him. They both smiled up to him and waved a greeting. These people will listen and follow you without hesitation. It is a result of the power of friendship that you have taught me.

Mug smiled back and gave a nod of confidence. He then turned his attention back to the direction they were traveling.

Grim suddenly slowed as they neared the railroad tracks that separated the Devil's territory from the rest of Inkwell. His three passengers looked down to see a mob of residents creating an uproar as they surrounded someone. Mugman squinted to see whom that person might be. The child made out a purple suit and a cube head that tried to curl up and protect itself from those that closed in on him.

"King Dice?" He exclaimed.

"Yes. It seems that the casino manager has emerged from the Devil's lair." Grim explained to him. "However, he doesn't seem to be putting up a fight against anyone."

"Get us down there so we can find out what's going on." The mug child told the flying reptile.

"You got it, Mugman." It replied and went to land a reasonable distance away from the mob. As soon as it was safe to disembark, Mug slid down the creature's wing and ran toward the scene. He heard residents arguing over who should kill the die man.

"I should be the one to kill him!" Dr. Kahl argued, brandishing a metal pipe. "He forced me to play his incessant games and lose all my research funds!"

"Arrr! What about me?" Captain Brineybeard shouted back. "He ruined me treasure huntin' career! This land lubber deserves to walk the plank!" The pirate stumbled back and forth angrily on his two peg legs. His sword waved through the air madly.

"Stop!" Came Mugman's tiny voice over the sea of people. Not everyone heard him. Thankfully someone that was tall and had a much louder voice heard him though.

"Oh, thank goodness you're here, Mugman!" Cagney said loudly for everyone to hear. They all fell silent in unison and turned to the mug child that scampered his way to the carnation.

"What's going on, Cagney?"

"We were trying to find out which one of us deserves the honor of killing this miserable scoundrel." A leafy hand pointed to the fallen casino manager. For Kind Dice curled himself up on the ground to try to protect his already horribly beaten body. Mug looked to the die man that had been torn and bloodied all over. He noticed that the adult still clutched his one arm closely to his chest. For Mugman remembered that was the arm in which he had shattered the bone a couple evenings back. He seemed to have received even more injuries since their struggle the other evening. Blood seeped from the beaten body onto the grass, staining it a deep red. The king's green eyes fearfully looked around at those who surrounded him. They seemed to settle on the young mug that stared at him with conflicting thoughts.

"It should be Mugman!" Cagney beamed, seeming to have a eureka. His voice rang out so loud that it made the child flinch. The crowd gave a roar of agreement. Everyone held their weapons high in the air. Mug's heart began to beat fast under the pressure of his friends and neighbors. Were they really expecting a child to put an end to someone's life at this very second? The young mug looked around nervously at the now cheering crowd. Brineybeard stumbled himself up to the child.

"Here. Ye can borrow me sword." He said and shoved the weapon into Mugman's hand, who in turn just stared at the blade. The end of it dropped to the ground since it was heavy for a child to wield. It wasn't quite as heavy as the sword that he attempted to pick up in Kettle's secret basement, but it was still heavy enough to cause problems for a mug child to wield. It was a much slimmer blade than the thick and bulky one back at the house. With a heave, Mug picked it off the ground. His boots took a few steps forward to the die man.

"Do it!"

"Come on, Mugman!"

"Put it right through his heart!"

They all jeered. Every one of them had a reason to want the die man gone. But Mug looked from the blade to the shuddering casino manager before him. He had never seen King Dice so scared. The king would have pleaded for his life if he did not himself believe that he deserved this. And that was exactly what made him so scared. Because he knew they were all right. That he deserved to die by their hand. Each one of them had a reason to avenge something they lost because of him and the Devil. And they couldn't kill the Devil, so Dice would have to do instead.

Mugman stood there staring into the fearful green eyes of the die man. Under that rough and tough exterior, the child could sense that the king was still a person just like him. In fact, the man's posture made the young mug realize that he was doing just what he did when he was scared. For he was freezing up just like Mug would do and shake until his body could move no more. The fear he saw in Dice's eyes was that of a child. Mug knew that he himself felt just as scared as the die man looked.

Hilda and Spoonfred watched this in apprehension, ready to turn their heads away if the mug delivered a death blow to him. Among the vibes of anger from the crowd were two signals that said to the young mug that they disagreed. Mug could tell it was the spoon and witch. Both of whom knew his opinion of death had likely changed after last night.

After a good thirty seconds of trying to decide what was right, Mugman ultimately dropped the sword by his feet with a firm "No."

"Killing him is wrong." The child explained. At the back of the crowd, Hilda and Spoonfred gave a sigh of relief.

"You're right, Mugman." Cagney replied. "That would be letting him off the hook too easily. Letting him suffer with his wounds is much better!" The flower hooted. Everyone gave a holler in agreement.

I know that's not really what you mean. The demon commented. I just hope you're making the right choice about this.

"If you don't mind, I need to have a little chat with him now." Said Mugman, hoping that most of them would clear out.

"Sure thing, Mugman. Just be careful. He may still have a trick up his sleeve." Cagney warned before shooing off the rest of the crowd. The only people that remained in the area were the young mug, the beaten casino manager, Hilda, and Spoonfred. For the witch and utensil were going to stay until Mug specifically told them to leave. But the mug child allowed them to stay. For he trusted them to not do anything rash while he was having a talk with the king. His brown boots walked right up to the wounded man, leaving a few feet of space between them.

"What happened? Why have you come here?" Mugman asked the adult sternly.

"I got fired. What's it to ya, anyway?" Came the strained voice of the casino manager. It was clear that he was impaired to the point that it hurt to talk. The young mug knew exactly how that felt.

"Fired? Why did the Devil fire you?" Asked the child, sounding a bit more understanding than before.

"I ain't telling you nothin'!" Dice snapped back.

"You certainly don't have to talk. But you don't have anything left to lose either." Mug calmly replied. A green eye rolled away from the mug child as it contemplated what it was saying. It then shifted back after a few seconds of thought.

"He has a new right-hand man now." The die man said tersely. "No need for me anymore. Not when he has your brother to beat the shit out of everyone....including me."

"Cuphead did this to you?" Mugman asked with a gasp.

"Well, most of it." The king replied, letting his broken arm fall softly to the ground, staining a new patch of greenery. But then he remembered what the Devil had said. That he had killed the mug child "without much effort".

"Besides, I thought you were supposed to be dead."

"I nearly was." The young mug confessed. "What's he planning to do with Cup?"

"Total destruction. What else? It's not likely that he will leave the kettle out of it either."

"So he's got Elder Kettle too...." Mug trailed off as his gaze fell to the ground.

"Well, if you've got all the information you desire, then why don't you leave me the hell alone so I can die in peace!" The die man roared as best he could. "That's what you wanted, isn't it? To let me wallow in my pain?"

Mugman stood there unsure of what to do. Should he help the casino manager regain his strength? Leave him to suffer and eventually die?

"Get away from me!" Dice hissed and tried to lash out with his good arm. Mug stumbled back out of reach of the man. He slowly turned around and proceeded to leave the scene.

"Come on, I think he needs a little time to himself." The mug child ushered his friends away from the person that was still bleeding out from his many wounds. They heard the die man give a sigh of defeat as they left the area.

"Did I really do the right thing back there?" Mug quietly asked when they were far enough from anyone else that might hear.

"Of course, Mugman!" Hilda said.

"Yeah, it's like when you saved me from drowning. You made a friend from an enemy." Spoonfred explained.

"But will that really work with him?" The young mug wondered as his gaze fell to the ground.

The cube face is certainly hard-headed and stubborn just like his boss, I'll give him that. Mug's parasitic creature chimed in.

"Hmm. Perhaps if you could talk to him and reach his personal life, maybe he would start to come around." The utensil child offered.

"That's.... a good idea, Spoonfred. And I think I know just how to go about it."

"Just be careful, Mugman." Hilda warned. "If you help him recover, he may very well use that against you and attack when you least suspect it."

The female makes a valid point. The demon said. We must use extreme caution when approaching the cube face.

"Okay, here's the plan." Mug began. "I'll need someone to distract Djimmi so I can get into his pyramid and get a Miracle Heal."

"I can do that no problem." The witch volunteered. Mugman confirmed with a nod.

"We want to do this in a stealthy manner because I don't think anyone else would approve of this plan of action. Everyone else just wants him dead."

"Where do I come in, Mugman?" Spoonfred questioned, wanting something of importance to do.

"You....um...." The mug child did not see any other job that was needed for the mission.

"Let me go in and get it for you! I can totally be stealthy!"

"Well, if you really think you can do it-"

"Yes! Yes, I can! I won't disappoint you, Mugman." The young utensil was bursting at the seams with excitement. He was thrilled at the thought of being trusted for such an important task.

"Okay. I'll meet you both back here in an hour. Good luck to both of you."

"You can count on us, Mugs!" Hilda called as they went off to do their jobs.

No! No! I veto this decision! The demon called out. We are not healing the very man that tried to kill us! I thought we were just to talk to him!

Calm down. We don't know if he'll even drink it. I'm sure he's got a pretty big ego that would not allow him to accept help from a child. At least not so easily. That's where the talking is going to come in.

I don't like this. The dark creature persisted. He's just going to use us to get what he wants. Nothing good will come from healing him.

Tell you what, if something goes wrong, then you can kill him without hesitation. But until then, we're going to try to make peace with him. Deal?

Very well. It grunted. I still think this is a bad idea though.

Exactly an hour later, Spoonfred and Hilda returned with the requested item. The young spoon handed it over to his friend.

"Any troubles?" Mug questioned.

"I did run into the kitty while I was in Djimmi's home." Spoonfred pointed out.

"Oh, shoot! I forgot about Kiki!" The mug child gasped and slapped himself on the head.

"No worries. She seemed to know that I was coming and led me straight for the Miracle Heal."

"Really? Phew. That's a relief." Mug sighed.

"Okay, let's go!" The young spoon beamed and went to head back to the casino manager.

"Hold up." Mugman caught him by the shirt. "I should go alone.

"Alone? Why?" Both the female and utensil child questioned in surprise.

"I don't think he'll talk unless he truly believes that it's just me around." Mugman explained. But they didn't seem convinced that letting the very child the casino manager had tried to kill go to a one-on-one chat with him. It just spelled disaster to them. Mug could sense this was what they were thinking. "Please! It's my best shot at making a friend of Dice!"

"Okay, but we'll be in earshot. All you have to do is holler the very moment you don't feel safe and we will do anything to keep you away from harm." Hilda said, nervously squirming her fingers around one another.

"Thanks, I appreciate it! Wish me luck!" Mugman called as he began to run off by himself.

"Be safe...." The witch said so quietly that only Spoonfred heard it. They huddled close together as they prayed for their friend's safety. 

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

22.9K 358 35
Art by me♡ Updated!! This OC X Devil Story was requested by @EmmaDreammur24 Plot: Mystic Artist Giddens (My OC) has moved with her parents in the bi...
5.8K 35 31
"Not every story has a happy the ending ...I would know since I've experienced it before...when a story does not end well, the only thing left to do...
97K 3.3K 52
After six years at a depressing, boring office job in California, Y/N decides one night, while incredibly drunk, I might add, to quit her job and mov...
244K 9.8K 200
Disclaimer,Please Read: This is a story that may contain possible triggers for people who are struggling with different issues in their life. There...