The Undecided Title Of Sara M...

由 Shylowdeath

"You need to know something," said Fili, taking her face in his large warm hands. "You will always have me. E... 更多

Chapter 1: The Door
Chapter 2: A Most Respectable Hobbit
Chapter 3: Home Invasion
Chapter 4: Quest
Chapter 5: Breakfast and a Bet
Chapter 6: Ink and Earmuffs
Chapter 7: Braids of a Difference Color
Chapter 8: Assumptions
Chapter 9: Swimming
Chapter 10: Kisses, Trolls, and an Argument
Chapter 11: Assessment
Chapter 12: Reconciliation
Chapter 13: On the Run.
Chapter 14: Flee For Your Lives
Chapter 15: Rest
Chapter 16: Heart Sister
Chapter 17: Not Water
Chapter 18: Visitor
Chapter 19: Wandering
Chapter 20: Diplomacy and Visions
Chapter 21: Council and Escape
Chapter 22: Into the Mountains
Chapter 23: Revilation
Chapter 24: Contemplation and Persuasion
Chapter 25: Rain, Rain, Rain
Chapter 26: Down and Out
Chapter 27: Captive
Chapter 28: Comfort and Secrets
Chapter 29: Awake
Chapter 30: Flight of the Dwarves
Chapter 31: Challenge Accepted
Chapter 32: Making Time
Chapter 33: Aftermath
Chapter 34: Teddy Bear Picnic
Chapter 35: Action
Chapter 36: Hidden Truths are Unspoken Lies
Chapter 37: Dark Inhabitants
Chapter 38: Lost and Found
Chapter 39: Pursuit
Chapter 40: Ill Met
Chapter 41: Unwilling Guests
Chapter 42: Stolen
Chapter 43: Arrival
Chapter 44: Reunion and Recuperation
Chapter 45: The Past
Chapter 46: Memories and Letters
Chapter 47: Feast of Starlight
Chapter 48: Manipulation
Chapter 49: Plots
Chapter 51: Under Attack
Chapter 52: Apologies
Chapter 53: Guests
Chapter 54: Unwilling
Chapter 55: Poison
Chapter 56: Compromising
Chapter 57: Statis Quo
Chapter 58: The Mark of Aule
Chapter 59: The Return
Chapter 60: Catching Up
Chapter 61: Crack in the Mountain
Chapter 62: Smaug the Magnificent
Chapter 63: Rescue and Revenge
Chapter 64: Home at Last
Chapter 65: The Madness of Preparation

Chapter 50: Foiled Escape

169 9 0
由 Shylowdeath

In which things do not go as planned.

Thorin paced his cell, kicking the door each time he passed. Where could they be? He had no way to tell time, but still he knew that it was well past the appointed hour. Different scenarios flashed through his mind, each one serving only to wind him tighter as the minutes passed with exaggerated slowness. He had tried to sleep but was too painfully aware of his own helplessness. He hated that the fate of the company rested with an elf and a hobbit. The best he had been able to achieve was a lite doze. He hoped the others were faring better. Oh confound it all, where could they be? Had the she elf betrayed them after all, only learning their plans to better thwart them? No sooner had this thought arisen then he felt a prick of shame imagining Sara's response to it. He desperately hoped Sara was okay. He was loath to leave here without her necklace for she would be devastated at its loss, but he was also sure that if given the choice she would flee without it rather than stay. Perhaps they would be able to find her family without it. He sighed resting his head against the bars of the cell. He knew that possibility was low.

He looked up at the sound of footsteps approaching rapidly, the light growing brighter by the second. The slapping of bare feet on stone assured him of who was coming and in a matter of seconds Bilbo was before him, his round face flushed in the flickering light of the torch in his hand.

"What kept you?" accused Thorin, reaching to take the torch as Bilbo fumbled with the single key, fitting it into the lock.

"We had some difficulty administering the pills," said the hobbit, pulling the cell door wide. "We had to be careful not to get caught. After all, we couldn't very well walk up to the guards and ask them to please take these pills. But we finally managed it."

"Where is the elf?"

"She is releasing the others," said Bilbo, locking the cell behind them. "We are behind schedule so we spit up."

"What time is it?" asked Thorin as they quickly climbed back up the path.

"It's near 4:30. We shall have to move quickly if we are to make it out of here with any sort of lead. Luckily Tauriel says the river is fast-moving so when the alarm is raised we should be some number of miles down river."

"Were you able to locate Sara?" They emerged back into the hallway and Thorin placed the torch in an empty bracket, leaning carefully over the two female guards who were slumped against the wall, fast asleep.

"We found her but were unable to get past the four guards guarding her, so she has no idea of our plans. But I have the key to her cell," said Bilbo holding up a tarnished key before stuffing it back in his jacket pocket. "We are to retrieve her before we meet the others and make our way down to the cellars."

They set off down the hall, silent as shadows. Nothing stirred in the early morning hours as they slunk from one hallway to the next, passing another guard who sat with his knees propped, head lolling on his crossed arms. There was soft snoring as they slipped past another guard and came to the corner where two halls intersected. Bilbo paused for a moment, looking to the right and then the left before darting across. In a matter of minutes they stood before another group of four elves asleep at their post. The one to the right sat slumped against the wall, on the left another lay on his side curled in a fetal position, and the last two were sprawled out, almost cuddling, in front of the doorway they guarded.

"Down that hall," breathed Bilbo, pointing to the doorway ahead.

Gingerly they approached. Thorin stepped wide over the two elves avoiding the tangle of legs and then motioned for Bilbo to follow. Unfortunately the hobbit's legs were not as long. Bilbo licked his lips nervously and moved to step over. Thorin extended a hand to stabilize him but froze. The key to Sara's cell was protruding from a hole in Bilbo's vest pocket, hanging by a loose thread. Before he could move or speak the heavy iron key slipped like a stray bead from a string and fell with a clatter to the polished stone floor. It landed between the elves heads, sounding for all the world like a hammer striking hot metal. Bilbo froze, eyes wide, his foot poised mid air. One of the guards groaned softly and rolled onto his side, his loosely curled fingers resting atop the key.

After several more petrifying moments Bilbo stepped over the elves at his feet. Thorin bent and gently pulled the key out from under the guards hand while Bilbo patted himself, quickly checking his other pockets for holes. Only after he had found all in order and pulled the little gold ring out to reassure himself did the hobbit's shoulders slump in relief. Thorin handed him the key and took a torch from the wall gesturing down the dark path. They pushed forward, the dark hall quickly morphing into a cavern similar to the one Thorin himself had been kept in as the narrow path led deeper into an enormous crevice of stone. They were less careful now, their steps echoing from wall to wall in the small space. Bilbo pressed close to the wall, clearly uncomfortable with the steep drop on their left, his fleshy cheek almost brushing the damp stone. At last they reached the end of the path and a cell door. Thorin held the torch high, the tongues of light flicking into the shadows or the cell revealing a figure huddled in the back.

"Sara?" he called. The figure raised its head wearily.

"Thorin?" came the answer. She stood shakily and came to the door. She looked exhausted, her face smeared with grime, her eyes red-rimmed and puppy. Her dress and hair were in disarray. Bilbo pushed by him and fitted the key into the lock. Thorn reached for her the moment the door groaned open and he pulled her to him. Her arms encircled him with a vice-like grip. She was shaking and when he tipped her face up to his, her lips trembled with cold.

"Are you well?" She looked down.

"Saruman took my necklace," she whispered.

"I know, I'm sorry," he said, squeezing her tightly with one arm, being careful to keep the torch away from her. "It's a hard thing to ask of you." She nodded mutely.

"At least no one will get hurt this way," she said looking over at Bilbo. Her forehead wrinkled in confusion. "How did you both manage to escape and find me?" Bilbo beamed and pulled the white bottle from his trouser pocket and offered it to her. She took it and the torpor that had gripped her before seemed to melt away, light returning to her dulled eyes, her spine straightening. She looked at Bilbo. "Your idea?" she asked.

"Mine," he admitted. "But it wouldn't have worked without Tauriel's help.

"Tauriel is helping us?"

"Yes," said Thorin. "She is currently releasing the others." Sara looked up at him a bit taken aback, but her surprise was quickly replaced with a mixture of pride and pleasure. She leaned forward and quickly brushed her lips against his. He looked down at her surprised. Perhaps including the elf captain had its merits. Bilbo cleared his throat a bit awkwardly.

"That was very clever Bilbo," she said, turning to the hobbit. She shook the bottle experimentally. "Just how many elves did your drug?"

"16"

"That's all?" asked Sara, sounding panicked. "This is a 100 tablet bottle and it's nearly empty. How many tablets did you give each of them?"

"Five if we could manage it," said Bilbo. "It wasn't exactly easy slipping them into their food and drinks. I could not have done it without Tauriel acting as a decoy. One of your guards took nine before he finally fell asleep."

"Nine?" squeaked Sara, quickly scanning the bottle in the dim light. "Crap!"

"What?" asked Thorin.

"I hope you haven't poisoned anyone."

"Poisoned?" stammered Bilbo.

"I thought your remedy was safe," said Thorin.

"It is," she insisted. "At least for a human in the proper amounts... but nine in one go..."

"I never meant to harm anyone," said Bilbo, wringing his hands. "But he wouldn't fall asleep and time was running out."

"No, of course you didn't," said Sara. "But still..."

"It is of little consequence now," said Thorin. "What's done is done and we must go. The others will be waiting." Without further delay the three of them made their way back dark towards the lighted hall. The elves had not moved but snored on. Carefully they stepped over them, but Thorin was only a few paces ahead when he noticed Sara's absence at his side. He glanced behind and then came to a halt.

"What are you doing?" he hissed. Sara was bent over one of the elves, her fingers pressed to his neck. "Sara?"

"I'm checking to see that his breathing and heart rate are normal. I'm worried about an overdose. Bilbo, which one took nine pills?" Apparently they need not have worried about waking the elves.

"Sara, leave them. We have little time and can do nothing for them. Bilbo, come." Bilbo glanced back at Sara and then Thorin weighing the choice.

"This one," said Bilbo returning to her side and indicating the guard on the right. He was slumped forward, his chin resting on his chest. "But please be careful not to wake him."

"I couldn't if I wanted to," said Sara, gripping the elf's shoulders and easing him onto his back. The elf did not so much as stir.

An uneasy feeling crept over Thorin, pricking his skin and writhing in his gut. As angry as he had been with Thranduil and his guards for their treatment, he had come to understand that the real culprit was the wizard. There was still hope to salvage the alliance before the upcoming battle if only Thranduil could be loosed from Saruman grip. But if they were responsible for the death of a guard... well, the diplomatic situation could become irredeemable. He watched Sara press her fingers to the elf's neck, muttering under her breath. He approached and crouched to better see.

"Will he recover?" he asked in a whisper. Sara did not look up.

"I don't know. I can hardly feel a pulse." She knelt over the elf and pressed her ear to his chest. Thorin lifted the guards limp hand and let it fall back to the floor with a flop. At least the elfs chest was rising and falling in a rhythmic fashion, although it was rather rapid. "I can hear his heartbeat but.."

"But what?" asked Bilbo, fidgeting with the buttons on his waistcoat.

"It seems too fast." She sat up frowning. "I am not a very good judge though. I don't know much about elf anatomy."

"Then perhaps you should ask one," said an angry voice behind. Thorin knew that voice all too well and he cursed himself for his inattention to their surroundings. Legolas stood behind them, Orcrist in one hand and Sara's puzzle box in the other. "What have you done to my guards?" demanded the elf prince, brandishing the blade as easily as if it were a fork. He and Sara stood to face the elf. "What have you done to them?" His voice grew in volume, sending his words echoing down the hallway.

"Nothing," said Sara. "They are just asleep." She gestured to the elf at their feet. "Although this one should be seen by a healer."

"What happened? How did you make them all sleep?" Thorin willed Sara and Bilbo to remain silent, but no such luck.

"We drugged them," admitted Bilbo. "We had no choice." Legolas's eyes flicked to Bilbo.

"I see the missing hobbit has surfaced. I expect you are the reason these two are free from their cells."

"I am," said Bilbo straightening. "But if you had any sense about you, you would have done so long before I had to. You know who sent Sara, saw the mark on her hand. How could you stand in her way? If you stop her many will die that need not have." Legolas examined the hobbit, the point of his sword dipping slightly.

"If that story is true then why is Saruman against you?"

"Because he is corrupted," cut in Sara angrily. "I always knew he would become so in the future, but I never imagined it would be this soon. Saruman is seeking Sauron's ring. He has deluded himself into thinking he can control its power."

"He is the leader of the White Council. Why would he do that?"

"Who can say," said Sara, throwing her arms in the air. "I only know that if he gets his wish we are all doomed. Even if he did manage to defeat Sauron, he would simply replace him as the next dark overlord. He has to be stopped, so either get out of our way or do something about it. But make sure this guard is seen by a healer. We never meant to hurt anyone, only escape." The tip of Orcrist rose again, Legolas watching them, his feelings clearly split. Thorin braced himself for a fight, but just as he was sure the elf would make a move they heard running feet echoing down the hall to the right. Legolas drew back into an alcove provided by a door just as Fili and Bofur rounded the corner and came into view. Thorin groaned within himself.

"Fili wait," called Sara, jerking forward, but too late.

"Uncle what's keeping you," asked Fili, fairly jogging down the corridor towards them. "Tauriel and the others are ready and waiting. We need to..." but he was halted in his tracks as Legolas brought the blade of Orcrist to rest against his neck.

"Give me one reason I shouldn't cut you down here dwarf prince," said Legolas darkly. Fili looked at the elf calmly and deliberately pushed the blade away from his neck with a finger.

"Because you don't wish to," said Fili simply. At Fili's side, Bofur for once had the sense to remain silent.

"Want to or not, I shall if need be," said the elf, bringing the blade to Fili's neck once again. "My father is the king and has ordered your arrest."

"The orders may have passed your father's lips," said Fili. "But you and I both know they were not his own. Will you really uphold the will of the wizard who has cast a spell on your own father and king?" Legolas wavered, his arm shaking slightly as he glared round at them all in turn.

"It would be treason to disobey."

"Come now Prince Legolas," said Bofur, stepping closer, his open palms held at his side. "If ya really believed that then ya would have hollered or struck a blow by now. Besides which, there are five of us and only one of you. Yer alone lad."

"He's not alone," called yet another voice. Four elves stepped around the corner and into view. "I would say the odds are substantially in our favor as you have no weapons to speak of," said Airidan, sword drawn. Ruven stood by his side sword in hand and flanking them were Myrin and Lierin each with an arrow trained on Thorin and Bofur.

"Blimey," said Bofur, raising his arms to interlock his fingers behind his head. "Fer being so early in the morning these halls are fair to bursting with activity."

"Why are you here?" asked Legolas, never taking the sword off Fili's neck as he glanced back at Airidan.

"We are looking for Tauriel and yourself. The forest patrol never reported in at mid watch."

"Have you sent anyone to investigate?" asked Legolas, eyeing Fili suspiciously.

"Yes. We sent out six scouts but none have returned and that was nearly two hours ago. They had orders to report back in one hour, even if they found nothing. We thought you would want to investigate it yourself." Thorin listened to this exchange, trying to piece together what was going on while simultaneously watching for an opening. He was not going back to his cell without a fight, weapon or no.

"You were right to find me," said Legolas. "But first we must see these prisoners back to their cells and find any others who may be loose." He paused for a moment and then shook his head regretfully. "And if you encounter Tauriel... she is to be detained and put in a cell of her own." The others looked at Legolas, startled but nodded gravely.

"Legolas," cried Sara. "You can't do this! You are meant to be so much better."

"I have no choice," he said.

"Please," she begged, pulling the glove off her right hand and holding it up for them all to see. "Does this mark really mean nothing to you?" The elves stopped dead in their tracks, looks of shock and confusion plastered across their narrow faces. Sara addressed Legolas directly. "I wasn't completely sure until yesterday but now I know without a doubt, the Valar are with me, backing me. Not only did they bring me out of Earth with the knowledge of the future and mark me theirs, but they gave me the power to protect that knowledge. They put a block in my mind that prevents magical intrusion. They want me to succeed. Saruman tried to take knowledge from me by means of magic and when that failed he stole my necklace in hopes that I would tell him and even threatens to torture those I care for. Are you truly going to bend to the enforced will of one so cruel? Tauriel believes me. Why can't you?"

"I don't have that luxury Tauriel does," said Legolas. "I cannot commit treason no matter how I may feel. I am the prince. How could the people look to me if I did."

"How will they look to you if they are slaughtered," said Fili, his voice tinged with irritation. "If you truly believe Sara, then you have an obligation to do whatever it takes to see to her safety and success, even if it means treason." He looked to the other elves now. "The job of a king or prince is to do all in one's power to protect their people. A kingdom is nothing without its people. If you acknowledge the truth of the mark on Sara's hand as Tauriel does, then your path is clear. Many of my people paid the ultimate price for the madness of their kings. Don't make your people suffer because yours is bewitched. Don't let our history be repeated."

Legolas looked to his companions who stood waiting for him to give the order. It was still as the grave for a moment as they waited for the conclusion of Legolas's internal struggle. Movement caught Thorin's attention and he watched in utter astonishment as the guard, Ruven, sheathed his sword, the sound of the blade sliding into place piercing the thick silence. The elf crossed the short distance between the two groups and came to stand just in front of Sara, arms crossed over his chest, feet apart. A look of surprise and possibly pain crossed Legolas's face and the blade in his hand drooped, the tip resting on the floor.

"Ruven," hissed Airidan. "What are you doing? We took an oath to support the prince."

"And so I shall. I shall support the desire of the prince's heart even if he feels he may not. Little though I like dwarves, I believe the mark to be genuine. Not only do I refuse to raise a hand to stop Sara Miller, but I will support her and see to her safety. I choose to support the Valar. If that is treason, then so be it." Legolas stood completely still, his eyes flicking from face to face.

"And you feel the same?" he asked, turning to his guards. They glanced at each other before Airidan spoke.

"Lead and we will fallow."

"What will you choose," challenged Fili, backing away from Legolas. They waited. Thorin could see the last of the wizard's influence melt away from the prince and a new resolve take its place. The muscles in Thorin's shoulders relaxed considerably. The choice was made. Shifting his grip on Orcrist Legolas held it out, hilt first to Fili.

"You will make a wise and honorable king when your time comes." Fili took the sword.

"Hopefully I will live to one day fulfill such a role." Legolas turned to Sara bowing his head slightly.

"Sara Miller," he said, meeting her gaze unblinkingly. "I will support you, and the Valar willing this madness will come to an end." Bofur whistled, letting his hands fall to his side, melting the tension like butter on a hot griddle leaving behind a popping sizzling energy that demanded action. Thorin looked at the toymaker and sighed, half in relief and half in resignation. And here he had hoped to rid himself of the elves. Apparently Mahal had other plans.

Fili turned and held Orcrist out to him. Thorin took it, his fingers fitting almost instinctively around the grip, relishing in the familiar weight of the magnificent sword.

"Thank you," said Sara, looking between Legolas and Ruven.

"On one condition," said Legolas, handing her back the puzzle box still gripped in his long fingers. "No more secrets and you agreed to open the box and show me its contents when we have a moment of peace."

"You didn't open it?" asked Sara, surprised.

"No," said Legolas simply.

"Alright," said Sara. Thorin saw her bite her lip, the little dimple between her brows returning. She glanced at him. "Admittedly you won't be the first person to desire that particular promise from me. But you need to understand that there are still things that must remain unknown to all but me."

"As you say," said Legolas. "Myrin Lierin. Take this guard to the healers but tell them nothing." Legolas paused. "How exactly were you planning on escaping? The doors and windows are all enchanted."

"Through the wine cellar," supplied Sara. Legolas looked dubious.

"How? There is no exit there." Bofur chuckled.

"There is if you're a wine barrel," said Bilbo. The elf cocked his head to the side, eyebrow raised.

"A bit unorthodox I must admit, but very clever Mr. Baggins. Very well the cellars it is."

"What about the missing patrol?" asked Airidan, as the two brothers disappeared around a corner, the limp guard between them.

"We will see our guests safely on their way and only then we shall investigate the disappearances."

"You may just accomplish both at the same time if my suspicion is correct," said Thorin, remembering Dwalin's warning. "Very likely our adversaries have at last caught up with us."

"All the more reason to sneak you away quickly and quietly," said Legolas.

Sara was having difficulty keeping track of all the rapid changes over the past two days. Striking an alliance with Thranduil, the arrival of Saruman and the subsequent arrest of the company followed by the conversation with Tauriel and Legolas and her confrontation with the wizard. And then this unexpected rescue. After her encounter with Saruman she had begun to think they would be stuck in the cells until doomsday. Though Bilbo had been free she had been sure they had missed their chance for escape. Her only real hope had rested with Legolas returning to his senses but she had not been holding her breath for such an occasion.

Legolas and his friends had surprised her by allying themselves with her but none have surprised her more than that of the surly Ruven. She could never have guessed that he would support her so readily or so earnestly. If she were honest she suspected his support had much more to do with the mark on her hand than anything else. Still, since they had begun their silent and stealthy path towards the cellars, Ruven had remained inordinately close to her, so much so that she could almost feel Thorin's irritation with the elf emanating from him and waves. Even after they had reunited with the worried Tauriel and the rest of the company, Ruven had remained almost clumsily close to her. It was such a change for him, although if truth be told he was just as irascible as ever. He and Dwalin still shot each other glares that could disintegrate stone. Dwain for his part was benefiting from the herb that Oin had administered though she noticed that his steps were slightly heavier than normal and he spoke less than normal. They had retrieved the company's packs and weapons from an out of the way closet just before they arrived at the cellars. Bilbo and Tauriel had even managed to pack fresh supplies of food for them.

The pack sat heavily on Sara's shoulders as they made their way down the dimly lit hall. Finally they arrived at the cellars. They had run into no one else in the early morning hours. As their group of 21 began to file past the final sleeping guard and through the door into the cellar Sara heard a moan and several loud curses.

"Well that's our escape plan foiled," groaned Bofur from the front.

"Where are they?" asked Dori. "How are we meant to go down river now?" What was going on? Sara pushed her way past the others and through the doorway until she stood at the top of six steps leading down into the room. Bottles lined the walls to the ceiling in dusty alcoves and the tang of fermentation permeated the still air. The entire back half of the room was stacked with enormous wine barrels stored on their sides, but the center of the room where the large trapdoor was located was entirely empty. There were no empty wine barrels to speak of. No barrels at all.

"What do we do now?" asked Nori from the bottom of the steps, turning to look at Thorin and Sara. "Do we try another way?"

"Move in," called Ruven, pushing forward to stand just behind Sara. "Quickly before we draw attention to ourselves. The palace will not sleep forever and the cooks will be rising soon if not already." Reluctantly the company moved down the steps and into the empty space grumbling under their breath. The elves came last and closed the door with a soft click.

"I thought you said there were barrels here," said Thorin looking at Tauriel.

"There were this afternoon but obviously someone must have sent them on ahead," she replied.

"Is there no other way?" he asked.

"We could empty some of these here barrels," suggested Bofur kicking at a barrel with his toe. "It would be a frightful shame and waste though."

"No need," said Legolas. "You can still escape this way."

"How?" growled Dwalin. Airidan moved to stand beside the trap door, waving Fili and Noir off of it.

"Help me lift this," said Airidan, bending to pull at a large metal ring on the trap door. Skeptically Fili and Nori stepped forward and together they lifted the heavy door aside and leaned it against the wall. It was just taller than Airidan and at least as wide. From below came the sound of heavily running water and a wave of cool moist air brushed past them rising prickly bumps on Sara's arms.

"I don't know about ya lad, but I'm no fish," said Bofur, looking down into the dark square at their feet.

"You won't have to swim," said Airidan on his hands and knees looking inside. "Least wise not for long. Pull that." He pointed to a large lever on the wall and with a grunt Nori did. The flow of water below lessened. That done Airidan took a torch from the wall and jumped down the hole, catching the edge at the last moment with his free hand and disappeared. Instead of the splash Sara had been expecting there came the slapping of feet on wet stone. Moving to the edge she peered into the gloom. There stood Airidan on a narrow stone path perhaps ten feet from the opening above. Water spilled from the rocks at his feet and into the flowing water beside the path. It looked to be at least a 12 foot drop to the water. Tauriel dropped through the whole catching herself on the edge as well and flipped to land next to Airidan.

"If you mean us to perform those acrobatics, you can forget it," said Nori, standing and brushing off his trousers.

"No," said Airidan. "I mean for you to swing your packs down to me and jump yourselves. Don't worry the water is deep enough."

"That's what worries me," said Nori.

"Sounds dodgy to me," said Dori. Sara could see the same sentiment mirrored in the others faces as well.

"It's this or we can lead you back to your cells," commented Ruven dryly. Thorin strode to the trapdoor, looking down, calculating, Legolas beside him.

"This still does not fix our problem," said Thorin, rubbing his chin and looking at the prince. "On foot we will not make enough ground to get a substantial lead. We will be recaptured."

"You won't be on foot for long," said Ruven from behind Sara, making her jump. The elf was as bad as Bilbo, sneaky and quiet. "The barrels are being held at the portcullis till dawn. We try to time their arrival at the lake for midday, that way the bargeman can return home with the empty casks before the day's end. It's only about a 20 minute walk to the portcullis."

"Whatever your choice, we must move," said Legolas impatiently. "If we stay we will soon be discovered."

"He's right," said Sara. Fili and Kili stood across the gap from her looking down.

"Hey Kili, give me your pack," said Fili.

"Why?"

"Just do it," said Fili, extending a hand. Shaking his head Kili did and before he could react Fili had pushed him in the back. There was a yelp of surprise and Kili disappeared through the floor with a splash. "There," said Fili smugly. "Now we have to go." He got down on his belly on the floor, his shoulders over the edge and swung Kili's pack down to Airidan as Tauriel fished Kili out of the water.

"That was a dirty trick," growled Kili up at him. "The water is like ice."

"Don't complain," chided Fili. He looked up. "Who's next?"

"I'll go," said Nori, taking off his pack and jumping. Grumbling the others came forward and one by one and took the plunge. Sara watched them go, absently rubbing the silky fabric of her dress between her fingers. She glanced down at the dirty material, thinking. Making a decision she dug a pair of leather trousers from her pack and slipped them on under her skirt. Beside her, Thorin leaned against one of the wine barrels, his arms folded. He watched her with a raised eyebrow. Ignoring the silent question she strode to Fili and pulled the knife out of his boot, knowing it to be his sharpest. Fili looked up at her but said nothing as he swung Dwalin's pack to the waiting elves below. Careful not to cut herself, Sara trimmed off the skirt of the dress, leaving just enough to act as a shirt. Popping the seams at the shoulder she ripped off the baggy sleeves.

"What are you doing?" asked Bilbo disparagingly, bending to pick up the loose fabric.

"Simplifying," she said simply, slipping Fili's knife back into place in his boot. "I didn't get the chance to change and it's easier to swim without billowing clothes."

"But it was a beautiful dress."

"I suppose," she said, shrugging. She took the remnants from him and stuffed them into her pack. "But it was hardly suited for swimming, and dresses in general are not practical for travel of any kind."

"No, I suppose you are right," said Bilbo, eyeing the trap door nervously. "Oh, I do wish I was a better swimmer." His hands were red from wringing and his toes curled and uncurled as though trying to grip the floor.

"Would you like me to jump with you?" offered Sara. "That way I can pull you out if need be."

"Would you?" asked Bilbo hopefully.

"Certainly," she said, buttoning her pack before handing it Fili and then reaching for Bilbo's. She glanced up at Thorin who had left the barrel and came to stand beside them.

"Go ahead," he said. "Dwalin and I shall be right behind you." Ruven leapt through the hole, somersaulting neatly onto the stones below. He looked up at her expectantly.

"You ready?" she asked, taking Bilbo's hand. He nodded mutely and together they stepped over the edge into blackness. The damp air rushed past their faces for a heartbeat and then they hit the water. Kili had not exaggerated. It felt as though they were jumping into liquid ice, which in fact they were. Bilbo's hand jerked open with shock as a cold closed over their heads but Sara gripped his fingers tightly and feeling the bottom kicked off dragging Bilbo with her. Their heads broke the surface and she heard him coughing and spluttering as she kicked towards the edge. Airidan and Ruven reached out and caught a hold on them, dragging them onto the rocks.

"Are you alright Mr. Baggins?" acquired Airidan as he haled Bilbo to his feet. Bilbo looked like a drowned rat as he nodded shakily, his sopping curls plastered to his face.

"I t...t...think so. But I'm sure to catch a cold." He sniffed, sounding for all the world as though he were already ill. With a twinge of guilt Sara remembered that in the book he did in fact get sick. She would have to keep a close eye on him.

"Cheer up," said Bofur, offering him an open wine bottle. "Have a swig of this to stave off the cold."

"I hardly think that's yours," said Airidan disapprovingly. Bofur shrugged and took another drink.

"Think of it as a small compensation for our troubles," he said, wiping his mouth on the back of his hand. Airidan just shook his head. There was a double splash and moments later Thorin and Dwalin climbed to shore, streaming water.

"Bofur," shot Thorin, spotting them. "Stow it for later. Now is hardly the time to lose your inhibitions or wit." Bofur took one last gulp and corked the bottle, reluctantly tucking it inside his pack. A splash and Fili was climbing out of the water just as Legolas, Myron, and Lierin landed gently on the rocks behind him.

"Not so bad," said Legolas, smirking as he passed them.

"Speak for yourself," said Sara through chattering teeth, trying to wring as much water from her clothes as she could. "Can we get moving? If we don't I'm afraid I will freeze in place."

"Very well. This way," said Legolas and he turned to lead them forward. Sara and Bilbo were shunted towards the front so they could follow close behind Airidan and his torch. They walked for several minutes, their wet feet slapping the ground as they picked their way over the uneven surface. Thorin and Ruven stayed behind her and she felt a bit odd with the two of them watching her so closely. At one point she stumbled and a hand caught her elbow, but instead of Thorin's strong grip, it was Ruven's slim but firm fingers that saved her knees from the rocks. At last they reached the mouth of the tunnel and Airidan dropped the torch into the river, dousing it. The early morning was still dark, the soft light of the stars gleaming down on them. The eastern horizon was just the faintest shade lighter than the west.

"Where do we go now?" whispered Bilbo.

"We follow the river of course," said Legolas. "But we must move quickly. The sun will begin to rise soon." Thorin stepped closer to Sara and gently tugged at her pack, pulling it off her shoulders.

"If we are to make good time you and Bilbo will need to be carried from here," he said. He held out her pack to Kili, but before Kili could take it Ruven reached for it.

"I will carry it." Thorin held her pack for a moment, unsure, before releasing it into the elf's care.

"Mr. Baggins I will carry yours if you like," said Airidan, reaching for his pack.

"Must we be carried," asked Bilbo. "It's so undignified."

"Unless your eyesight has suddenly improved," suggested Thorin, sweeping Sara up into his arms effortlessly. "Enjoy it while you may. Soon enough it will be barrels in a river." He hefted Sara a bit higher in his arms.

"I will carry you Bilbo," said Fili, picking up the only slightly protesting hobbit. In moments they were off again, slipping in and out of the dark shadows under trees and pressing against walls, creeping along, keeping the river beside them. They met not a soul. Sooner than Sara had expected Legolas and Tauriel brought them to a halt. In the near distance there were flickering torches set in the shape of an arch over the river. Though they had stopped Thorin kept Sara in his arms and she was perfectly content to remain so, leaching away his heat. There was an odd clattering sound and it took her a moment to place it. Bilbo's teeth were chattering from his place in Fili's arms.

"I don't see anyone," said Tauriel in the dark.

"Neither do I," said Legolas. "I don't like it. Airidan, come with me." He looked back at the rest of the group. "At my signal be ready to flee or follow" Before anyone could protest the two of them were off into the night, silent as ghosts. After a few moments Sara grew restless and wiggled. Obligingly Thorin set her down but held her close to him. Reaching across her, he drew Orcrist and hissed. Sara's heart dropped into her stomach as Bilbo gasped. The blade was glowing a soft blue.

"Be silent," chastised Tauriel. "Who knows what manner of creature lurks about."

"Orcs," said Thorin simply. Quietly he turned to the others and sheathed the blade. "Arm yourselves. All of you."

"How could you possibly know such a thing?" questioned Ruven irritated.

"It's the sword," said Bilbo, drawing his own a fraction of an inch. "If they are glowing orcs are not far off." There was a rustling as the company drew weapons.

"How far?" asked Tauriel, drawing her bow over her shoulder and notching an arrow.

"No way to be certain," said Thorin, pulling the blade from its sheath enough to see the glow was diminishing. "I have hardly had much of a chance to find out, but by the softening of the glow, I would say growing further away." Sara unstrapped her staff from her pack on Ruven's back and snapped the two halves together, twisting them to test the blades. With a satisfying snick they popped out and with another twist they disappeared again. She checked for the small knife Fili had given her. It was still strapped to her hip. They waited there in the dark, their ears straining, eyes shifting from shadow to shadow. An owl hooted somewhere nearby and Sara couldn't help but pity the poor mouse it was surely hunting.

"Let's go," whispered Tauriel, motioning them forward.

"But what about the signal?" asked Sara.

"It was the owl," said Ruven, shifting her pack higher, while keeping his hand on the sword at his side. Checking Orcrist once more and seeing it to be dark, Thorin lifted Sara again into his arms and moved quickly after Tauriel into the night. Sara braced herself, unsure of what was to come, sure it would not be good.

Alright so that is Chapter 50! Wow that's a lot. Don't worry I know you have waited for three weeks... this is only one of two chapters I have written... So as soon as I get the other one edited I will post it. It's been a busy three weeks. I had my talk in church, a blanket that I have been meaning to make for almost a year, homemade Halloween costumes to put together and all the shenanigans that go with Halloween and on top of that replacing door on our house before winter and having to get a new washer because ours went caput. So all in all 12,000 words in those three weeks is not so bad. At any rate life has calmed down just a bit so that is good. I have new cover art again, that's something else I was up to... I have been thinking about making a website for myself for fun... we will see if that ever happens. Go check out the new cover art. I'm just going to say that trying to write fight scenes while listening to fight music and simultaneously watching the US election was probably not the best choice on my part... I was so wound up that night. Anyway... THANK YOU to all of those of you who comment, review, favorite, follow, add or what not. Thank you! And finally a request from me... So its my Birthday tomorrow and if you would, a review or comment would make my day even if it's criticism. It's always great to hear from you. Thanks for the love and the support and remember to keep you eyes open for the next chapter in a few days time. Bye!

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

18.6K 595 26
Bouvardia Delphini Baggins is a hobbit of the Shire who has failed to be as respectable as her uncle is since she was first found. Now she spends her...
3.9K 158 24
One was to think a woman to be weak. Would see a woman stay home where she belongs. To hear silence from a woman unless spoken too. One would expect...
28.8K 1K 57
(Title Doesn't relate to the Arkenstone!) A young girl, whose race is barely known to Middle Earth is put in danger when she, her mother, and many o...
8.5K 314 21
COMPLETED story with a SEQUEL; "A Permanent Lineage" *Over 34+ chapters overall! "...She had dreamt of what his lips would feel and taste like for...