Unspoken

By the_hooded_girl

Due to a traumatic event in the past, Milena has lost the ability to speak. With her family of travelers she... More

Unspoken
I
Chapter 1 Travelers of the Long Road
Chapter 2 Two birds of a feather
Note 1 Milosh kumpania
Chapter 3 You will meet a tall dark stranger
Chapter 4 The rose on the mountain
Note 2 Oszkar's kumpania
Chapter 5 When the owl sings in the night, death will follow in its flight
II
Chapter 7 Fires in the night
Chapter 8 The world outside the window
Chapter 9 Silence is the loudest scream
Chapter 10 Thieves and beggars
Note 3 Gadje - The Blackwood Household
Chapter 11 Rumor has it
Chapter 12 Pearls and roses
Chapter 13 Sophistication
Chapter 14 The girl from No Man's land
Chapter 15 If you're afraid of wolves, stay out of the forest
Chapter 16 The bond between friends
Note 4 Gadje - villagers and friends
III
Chapter 17 Lonely voices
Chapter 18 A shelter for the wind
Chapter 19 The wild at heart
Chapter 20 The sound of freedom
Note 5 - Branko's kumpania
Chapter 21 Roads untraveled
Chapter 22 New friends and old
Chapter 23 Friends in high places
Chapter 24 Family ties
Chapter 25 New paths to follow
Chapter 26 Home is where the heart is
Chapter 27 Chasing the storm
Chapter 28 Dancer in the dark
IV
Chapter 29 Names in the wind
Chapter 30 Nighttime conversations
Chapter 31 Messengers
Chapter 32 Heart of Winter
Chapter 33 Free spirits
Chapter 34 Convictions
Chapter 35 Paths in life
Chapter 36 Strays and other travelers
Chapter 37 The heart is like a river
Chapter 38 The wind whispered change
Chapter 39 The eye of the storm
Chapter 40 The long and winding road
V
Chapter 41 The call of home
Chapter 42 The end of the road
Chapter 43 The road ahead
Chapter 44 We will carry your name along the road
Epilogue

Chapter 6 Broken Trail

9.9K 394 17
By the_hooded_girl

The dog crawled to his feet and barked loudly.
By the fire, the men looked up. “Here Ruv,” Laszlo ordered, “it’s only Vali and Marius.”
The two men jumped off the wagon and unloaded the goods.
“Was there trouble?” Milosh stood up and walked up to them. Vali put down the crate he had lifted from the wagon and looked at him. “The gadje* would not allow us to set foot in town, but they took our coin and gave us what we needed.”
Milosh nodded. “This is good. We can repair the wagon on the morrow.” He looked at the dark sky. “We should rest for the night.”
They downed the fire and made for their wagons when Ruv suddenly lowered his head and started growling.
The men turned to stare at the bushes, but they could not see a thing in the darkness.
“Who goes there?” Milosh called, but there was no answer.
Ruv growled again and crawled towards the greenery. 
Laszlo placed a hand on the dog’s head. “Down Ruv.”
Milosh gestured for Cezar and Marius to investigate. The two men searched the bushes and part of the forest, but returned soon after.
“Gadjo,” Marius said, “they probably followed us from the village.”
“They have gone now,” Cezar said.
“They will come back,” Milosh said with a grim face, “we will guard tonight.”
The others nodded. “I will take first watch with Vali,” Cezar said.
Vali nodded at him.
Milosh nodded too. His expression was serious. He glanced at the sky and sighed. This was definitely not a good place to stop. 
A gust of wind tugged at his clothes and he shook his head. “Prikasa*,” he muttered and he vanished into his wagon.

***

“They are not far from the village,” George informed the others, “just at the forest edge.”
“They’ve made camp,” Thomas added, “and they have dogs.”
George nodded. “They almost set one on us, but we managed to get away.”
William’s face was grim. “We should post guards for the night to make sure that thieving scum doesn’t go anywhere near our houses.” He narrowed his eyes. “We have to make sure they leave in the morning.” The others nodded in agreement. “And if they won’t leave nicely,” William continued, “we’ll just have to make them.”

***

Aishe shook her head as she looked at the sky in concern. The ominous feeling from a few days earlier had returned. Perhaps it was the encounter with the villagers earlier, perhaps it was something else, but she could not shake off the thought that something terrible was about to happen. ‘We should not have stopped here.’
The storm had been a sign. And now Ersan’s wagon had broken.
She had heard the men speak around the fire and it frightened her. 
Gajde had never liked them much. So why did it worry her now? 
Aishe let out a deep sigh. The night was too long. She turned her back on the window to return to her bed when a sound in the night made her blood turn cold.
In the distance was the cry of an owl.#

***

Dawn had yet to come when Petsha stepped out of his family’s wagon. He was greeted by Ramiro who was tending to the horses.
“You’re up early,” Ramiro said.
Petsha nodded. “So are you, brother.”
Ramiro let out a scornful laugh. “I could not sleep. I had many things to think about.”
“Would Lenka be one of those things?” Petsha gave him a sad smile. “Ramiro,” he said kindly, “you need to speak to your father.”
“I know this,” Ramiro sighed, “I did speak with him.”
“I did not mean argue. I meant speak.” He lifted a now empty bucket and patted the horse on the neck. “He will hear reason, Ramiro.”
“He has not shown much reason up til now.” Ramiro sighed. “Perhaps I should take up on Nikolai’s offer. If they steal her for me, it would solve the problem.”
Petsha grabbed Ramiro’s shoulder and shook him. “Will you listen to yourself? Ramiro think! Do you really want a life of shame?”
“I want a life with Lenka,” Ramiro said frustrated. He ran a hand through his hair.
“Then tell your father.”
“I did tell him!”
“No,” Petsha spoke, “tell him like you have just told me. Dorin has his eye on her. He will speak to Milosh about it if you do not act soon. He has already spoken to Lenka.”
“I know this,” Ramiro growled.
“She will say yes if you do not act. She will not have a choice. If she thinks you will choose Ihrin…” 
“I do not want Ihrin.” Ramiro paced around. Things had become so complicated. 
His head went up when the girl he loved stepped out of his aunt’s wagon. She did not look like she’d had much sleep either. 
He thought back on yesterday. The villagers’ behavior had frightened her. And with good reason. She was not unfamiliar with their cruelty.
Ramiro straightened his back and determination filled his eyes. “I will speak with Cezar as soon as he wakes up.”

Milena made her way to the stream. It was a fair walk and she knew she should not go alone, but she did not want to wake the others so early and it was nice to be alone for a moment to clear her thoughts.
She had dreamed of her family last night, but when she woke they weren’t there. Her chest ached with grief.
She kneeled at the waterside and washed her hands and face.
The forest was quiet. The only sounds she heard was the song of the birds. She smiled and stood up.
A twig snapped behind her and Milena jumped in fright. Why had she wandered off alone? If anything would befall her, she wouldn’t be able to call out for help.
Her heart throbbed in her throat when a figure made its way through the canopy.
“What are you doing here on your own, chavi*?” the familiar voice of Laszlo asked her.
Milena let her breath escape and looked at the horse trainer apologetic.
Laszlo shook his head in concern. “I saw you wander off. This isn’t a safe place, chavi. You need to stay close to the camp. Come now. Aranka and Elena are preparing the meal.”
Milena nodded and followed him back to the camp. Most of the others were up and about by now. 
Sergei and Marius had already started on the repair of the wagon, but put their work aside to join the others for breakfast.
Milena’s eyes searched for Ramiro, but she did not find him. Cezar was not there either.
“Lenka,” Daria came at her side, “I have been looking for you. Aranka has asked me to search for herbs and fruits in the forest after we have done with our meal. Come with me, yes? Milosh has said I should not go alone.”
Milena nodded at her friend and Daria smiled. There was a mischievous glint in her eyes and Milena wondered what she was planning. She noticed how Daria’s eyes kept stealing glances at her familia’s wagon and how she bit her lip in order not to smile.
Perhaps, Milena thought, Vali had finally decided to speak to Cezar on Petsha’s behalf. She smiled and was glad for her friend. She had no doubt Cezar would accept their union.
As they sat down to eat their meals, Tsura nested herself between the two young women. Daria patted her cousin’s head. “Morning simensa*. Will you go with us to search for Aranka’s herbs?”
Tsura beamed and nodded enthusiastically. “Must we go far?” she asked.
“Only in the forest,” Daria answered, “where we can still hear the camp.”
Tsura’s smile grew on being trusted with such an important task. “I will gather many herbs, you’ll see.”
“I am sure you will, little dove,” Daria smiled. She turned to Milena. “We should go. Father said they want to leave as soon as the wagon is repaired.”
Milena nodded in agreement. The sooner they would leave this place the safer she would feel.

***

“I know Ihrin is a good woman,” Ramiro said, “but I do not love her.”
“You have spoken of this before,” Cezar brushed him off, “you will learn to love her.”
“I will not!”
“Do not shame me, boy.”
“I am not a boy,” Ramiro hissed through his teeth, “I am a man. And I can make my own decisions.”
“Not as long as you are part of this vurdon,” Cezar warned him, “I am still phuro* of this familia.”
“Then maybe I do not wish to be part of this familia any longer.”
Cezar narrowed his eyes at his son. “Be careful with your words, Ramiro. The kumpania will cast you out if you continue this folly.”
“You do not understand,” Ramiro said, “why will you not hear my words? Lenka is a good woman. I love her. I have no love for Ihrin. Nor does she love me. You speak of shame. There is no greater shame than for a man to lie about love to his wife. You will keep Ihrin from a man that would love her. Why will you not respect my choice?”
“One day you will thank me, son. You will see the wisdom of it.”
“No,” Ramiro said, “I will not. But if you will not listen, perhaps others will. Milosh will hear my words. If needs must be, I will leave it to the elders. I will call on a divano*.”

***

There was a knock on the door and William cautiously answered it. The man on his doorstep nodded briefly and William’s face turned grim. “Assemble the men. I will meet you in the square.” He closed the door again.
“Who was there?” a woman’s voice said from the doorway of the adjoining room.
“Go back to sleep, Mary,” William said to his wife. He donned his jacket and put on some footwear.
“William Patrick Gerardson, where are you off to at this early hour?” Mary demanded to know.
“Be silent woman. It is no concern of yours.”
“You are goin’ after them gypsies, ain’t ya? Leave ‘em be, my husband. No good will come of it. They’ll put a curse on you  they will.”
“We will only make sure they leave. We don’t want that thieving scum around town.”
“You should take it up with his lordship,” Mary said, “them gypsies are not to be trusted.” 
“That is exactly why we must act now.” William opened the door, “and the young lord will only thank us for keeping that filth off his lands.”
The door closed behind him and Mary’s face darkened. “No good ever comes with gypsies,” she muttered.

***

“This one, Lenka?” Tsura proudly showed her a handful of fern.
Milena smiled and shook her head. She pointed at a bush a few feet ahead. Tsura immediately skipped ahead and started plucking twigs.
Daria appeared at Milena’s side. “I have found some berries. They are delicious. We should take some back for the others to share.”
Milena nodded and handed Daria one of the empty baskets.
They had already gathered a lot of herbs and they had gone deep into the forest. ‘Too deep,’ Milena suddenly realized. 
When had they last heard the sounds of the camp? 
She looked around, but the camp was nowhere in sight.
Daria seemed to notice this too. “We should return to the camp,” she said in a worried voice.
That was when they heard the voices.
“Lenka, Daria,” Tsura hurried towards them, “there are other people in the forest.” She was clutching the herbs in her hand.
The voices were hushed, but unmistakably gadje.
“The villagers,” Daria whispered. She looked at Milena with urgency. “Come, little dove” Daria said to her cousin. She took one of Tsura’s hands as Milena took the other. “We must be quiet now,” she told the girl.
Tsura looked from Daria to Milena and her lip trembled. She nodded.
“Good girl,” Daria said, “come. We must hurry.”
Milena kept stealing glanced over her shoulder. From the sound of it, there were a lot of men and the threat of a confrontation brought back painful memories. They shouldn’t have gone so far into the forest. They should have asked on of the men to come.
The voices became louder, closer, and the three girls picked up their pace. As soundlessly as possible they searched their way back through the forest.

***

“It was this way,” Thomas said as he lead the group through the forest. He glanced back at one of his comrades. “Are you sure the dogs are up for it, John?”
John nodded. “Don’t worry,” he said, “they are trained well. They’ll sniff ‘em right out.”
George looked from John to Thomas and back. “We only mean to scare ‘em off, don’t we?”
“We’ll give ‘em a scare alright,” William said, “We’ll make sure they’ll never set foot in these parts again.”
Thomas looked at George. “Don’ tell me you’re having second thoughts. You were in this too, remember?”
“To keep ‘em from the village, yes.”
“You want to weasel out, George Filcher?” William asked.
George straightened his back. “I ain’t no weasel.”
“Good,” William nodded. He shove a club in George’s hands, “then you’re with us.”

***

“Dogs,” Daria whispered. The three girls came to a halt. The oldest two looked round frantically.
The barking echoed through the forest and seemed to come form all directions.
Tsura started crying.
Daria kneeled down in front of her. “You must be brave, little dove. It will be alright. The camp is not far now. But we must stay silent.”
Milena flinched when she saw the light colored blur behind the trees. She urged Daria to her feet and looked at her alarmed.
Daria nodded. “Run,” she said.
The girls grabbed Tsura and ran in the direction of the camp with the sound of dogs on their heels. 

“There!” Thomas called, “I saw movement.”
“I saw ‘em too,” John said. He kneeled next to the dogs. “Go get ‘em.”

***

“A divano?” Cezar growled at his son, “you would call on a meeting for something like this?”
 “I would,” Ramiro said, “and they will give me the right. Your reasons of objection are meaningless and they will see it.”
“Why must you be so stubborn?”
“Why must you?” Ramiro cast back.
Before Cezar could reply, the door of the wagon was opened and Izabela stepped inside. “Have the girls not returned yet?”
“Girls?” Cezar asked.
“Daria and Lenka,” Izabela said, “Aranka asked them to search for herbs in the forest. They took Tsura with them, but they have not returned yet. The wagon is repaired and Milosh wishes to leave.”

***

“We have to keep moving Lenka…”

Fear hit her like cold rain. They had to reach the kumpania, but they could not outrun the dogs for long.

“… take your sister. Hide in the forest…”

Tsura let out a stifled cry as she tripped over a tree root.
“Get up, Tsura,” Daria pleaded. There was a trace of panic in her voice. Her face was pale an she looked at Milena in fear.
Milena was trembling. She knew Tsura wouldn’t be able to run anymore. They had to act fast. ‘Why?’ she thought, ‘why do they hate us so?’
“Lenka?” Daria whispered.

“Lenka…”

‘Alin,’  Milena bit her lip and looked around. Her eyes landed on a large tree not far away.
Daria caught her look and understood. She forced Tsura to her feet. “Come, little dove. You must climb.” She pushed Tsura in front of the tree and lifted her so she could reach the first branch.
The young girl peered down at them. “Climb higher, simensa,” Daria said, “so high they will not see you.”
“Do not lave me here alone,” Tsura cried.
“We will come back for you,” Daria promised, “but you must climb. You must be safe.” 
The barking became louder.
“Climb, Tsura,” Daria said more persistent now. 
Tsura cried even harder, but did as she was told. 
“Stay in the tree...”

“… until I come for you.”

 Daria and Milena looked at each other and embraced each other tightly. “I will see you in the camp,” Daria whispered.
Milena nodded and the two girls tore off through the forest in different directions.

***

“How long have they been gone?” Cezar asked.
“They left after the morning meal.”
“We must search for them,” Cezar said, “it is not safe for them on their own. Why did they not take someone with them?”
“Who then? Your son was speaking with you. Vali’s son was helping Laszlo with the horses and the rest of them was trying to repair Ersan’s wagon. Who would have gone?”
“They should not have gone alone!” Cezar stepped out of the wagon and tore off towards the gathered men outside.
Ramiro hurried after him. He was sick with worry.
Petsha seemed to be equally concerned.
“I am going with the search,” Ramiro declared.
“You will not,” Cezar said, “you will stay with your mother and your aunt.”
“My sister is in the forest,” Ramiro said, “and my wife!”
It became silent.
“Ramiro,” Milosh stated calmly, “hear your father. He is the head of your familia. Your mother and aunt need you now. I will go.” He turned to the group. “Vali. Dorin.”
The two men nodded.
Milosh turned to Cezar. “You will stay here too. You will sort out your disagreement before we get back or I will do it for you. Understood?”

***

A high pierced scream made Milena stop dead in her tracks. ‘Tsura…’
Her eyes widened in horror and she ran back in the direction where they had left the girl.

***

Ramiro sat down on the steps of te wagon and buried his head in his hands.
Petsha stood quietly at his side. He was told to stay behind as well. His normally dark skin was a whole shade paler. “They’ll be found, you’ll see,” he tried to comfort his friend, “they’ll be safe.”|
“I cannot lose her,” Ramiro whispered in despair.
“I know,” Petsha answered. 

From a distance, Cezar watched the two young men and rubbed his face. He feared for the girls, and seeing his son in such despair changed his resolve. It was not worth arguing about. He walked up to his son and Petsha.
“Ramiro.”
Ramiro looked up at his father, a guarded look in his eyes. “What is it you want of me?”
“Do not speak to me that way. I come in peace.” He paused. “If it is truly Lenka you want to take as a wife, the you should take her.”
Ramiro stared at him. “Do not joke about this.”
“I speak true,” Cezar said, “I will stop fighting you on this.” He let out a deep breath. “I wish you well, Ramiro. With Ihrin. Or with Lenka.”
“I know,” Ramiro said, “thank you.”
Cezar nodded at his son. He knew that if he didn’t give in, he would lose his son. With the girls in the forest and his mother’s bad feeling, he did not want to take any risks. ‘Let them be found.’

***

Milena ran blindly through the forest, ignoring the twigs that slapped in her face, leaving scratched. She had to reach Tsura. If something were to happen to her, it would be her fault. She had pointed out that tree. Alin had hidden her in a tree and it had saved her life. She had thought to safe Tsura too.
Why had the girl screamed? What had happened?
The bushes to her left rustled and Milena jumped in fright, veering to the right. In the distance she saw a  rush of light brown fur. Had the dogs found her already?
Tsura screamed again and Milena changed direction. She did not know what she would do once she had reached the tree, but she had to protect Tsura.
Growling and barking followed her every step and Milena dared a quick glance over her shoulder.
They would catch her soon.
Tears sprung in her eyes. The old fear came back. Memories of burnt out wagons and her mother’s lifeless body.
She bit her lip. Would she ever see the kumpania again?
‘Ramiro…’ Her heart twisted in pain. She looked back again and lost her footing when she stepped on a  tree root. Her ankle twisted painfully and her body tumbled down a slope, taking with her an avalange of dirt and leaves.
A cry of fear and pain was stuck in her throat, soundless as ever. Her head hit something hard and left the world spinning before everything went dark.

-----

* gadje = non gypsy
* prikasa = bad omen 
# owls are considered messengers of death 
* chavi = girl 
* simensa = cousin 
* phuro = head of a family 
* divano =  a group of elders called to discuss a matter publicly 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14K 562 11
This is a fiction, that imagines our GauRup in a parallel-verse. To this universe Rupali Ganguly and Gaurav Khanna carry only their names and chemist...
443K 25.5K 70
Tulika's blooming love story faced tragedy when a bike accident took away her love Sumedh. Sumedh, the perfect guy for her, who was head over heels i...
14.8K 598 56
A Linked Universe Reader Insert Fanfiction. This day was not going as you had planned. It probably was not going as planned for these travellers you...
262K 12.4K 85
**COMPLETED** Part 2 is out This is the story of a girl who is best to the good people and just worst to the bad people. She enjoys her life a...