The Bargain with the Billiona...

By Himitsunosakka

She is Dominique Garcia a freelance animator by day and a band vocalist at night. Two months ago, she was a s... More

Chapter 1- Bargain
Chapter 2- Music
Chapter 3- Best friends
Chapter 4- Second meeting
Chapter 5- Curiosity
Chapter 6- Fate
Chapter 7- Challenge
Chapter 8- Revenge
Chapter 9- Drunk
Chapter 10- Car
Chapter 11- Visitors
Chapter 12-Jealousy
Chapter 13-Surprises
Chapter 14- Set up
Chapter 15- Scandal
Chapter 17- Press Conference
Chapter 18- Mask
Chapter 19 -Concert
Chapter 20- Proposal
Chapter 21 -Cowards
Chapter 22- Family
Chapter 23 -Memories
Chapter 24- Promise
Chapter 25- Injuries
Chapter 26- Bride
Chapter 27- Wedding
Chapter 28- Fake
Chapter 29- Honeymoon
Chapter 30 - Misunderstanding
Chapter 31 - Confession
Chapter 32 - Beginning
Chapter 33 - Daughter

Chapter 16- Escape

7.9K 188 7
By Himitsunosakka

"We all try to escape pain and death, while we seek what is pleasant." – Albert Einstein

Dominique's POV

"What?" That's all I'm able to utter after the almost twenty minutes of Chev's blabbering on the other line. And when I turned on my TV, all I could whisper is a cuss holy shit and nothing more as I was dumbstruck.

"Hey Dom, are you having a heart attack there, should I call a doctor?"

Very funny, he can still joke when we're in the middle of this mess?

"Oh, yeah, call a doctor now and have your brain checked?" I replied rather harshly. "Or better yet, go straight to Carl and have your brain operated, maybe there's something wrong with your hypothalamus."

I heard his rambling laughter from the other line. Seriously, he should throw his easy-go-lucky streak now and be heedful of the matter at hand because this event can be a changing point, either to betterment or deterioration of our lives. When media is involved, there are always two possibilities, its either they make you or break you as a person.

"Why so grumpy early in the morning?" He asked in much serious tone this time. "Relax; everything will be in its proper place in time. For now, let's just proceed with the plan of escape and cool off a little."

A long sigh escaped my lips to control my raging nerves. He's undeniably right. I should relax and think straight despite having hundreds or even thousands of titles that go with my name now – all of them not so delighting to the ears and pleasing to the eyes.

Dominique, the gold-digger...

Dominique, the player...

Dominique, the bitch from hell...

Dominique, the hooker...

Dominique, the whore...

And many more hateful adjectives that they decided will fit my name.

Plus, I can't deny the fact that millions out there, women in general, are cussing me right now for making a fool out of the four billionaires of their dreams.

It's ironic that when men fools around, society has the tendency to fell silent as if telling oh it's natural, but when the women are the one who are fooling around, society will put us in ridicule, cuss us in every way possible and look at us as if we're the most disgusted sinner that ever lived.

So much for the equality, sometimes society can be so unfair like that.

Maybe he's cussing me now with every shit words people invented and by the end of the day he'll break our engagement. So our story goes this way, 7-day fake affair, 24-hour fake engagement. It can be a title of a movie, a tragic one. But that's one hell of a show we had and I really enjoyed it. Now the show is over, I should carry on. Maybe Raymond and I are not destined to be together. Maybe it's time to really let him go.

No more running after him. No more hoping he'll show up at my doorstep with my favorite food in his hands. No more road trips in the middle of the night. No more arguments with the hot and intelligent lawyer. No more Latin sessions. No more everything-he-does that make my heart flutter.

And yes, no more Raymond Lee also means no more Leandro Valderama.

There it is again, the pain but I don't know if it's solely because of Raymond. I'm having a second thought. But I don't want to linger on that much longer. It's getting confusing and when it does, it means problem.

"Hey honey, are you still there?"

Why are they calling me names every single time they get a chance?

"I can hear you perfectly fine, I'm not a deaf and will you please stop calling me names."

"What names?" He replied so fast and for sure he has a frowning face right now.

"Honey, sweetie, dear, whatsoever, stop calling me that, I don't need that shit right now."

I heard him chuckled on the other line and I'm sure he's having his morning amusement with me as the subject. "Honey, that's not names, that's what you called endearment."

And so I'm told.

"And besides, I'm your lover number one, so expect me to call you that name, as you put it, from now on."

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"If we rank the pictures they flashed on everyone's TV screens, I can safely say that I rank first, Mon second, and Lyle third." He paused for a while without mentioning Leandro and then started again with his foolishness. "We should give the credit to the editor. We really looked perfect on the picture, having a blissful affair." And then he laughed with his playful laugh of his giving emphasis to the last words. In any other occasions, probably I would join him and even laugh louder but no, not right now. I'm feeling grumpy about everything going on.

He's having too much amusement so early in the morning. Frankly, he's being too playful now that I have this gut feeling there's something going on in his life – probably he's eyeing someone interesting, really interesting to make his mood so lively despite the recent loss in a car racing event and this mess we're facing.

But I have no time to be nosy now, so the anticipation could wait until we settle things and put it in their proper places, just like what he said.

"Just cut the crap Chevrolet Chan and let's start with the business." I said sternly this time releasing my irritation by silently counting and taking deep breaths.

"As you wish honey." He said between his laughter. He's really into it today and I just ignored him.

"So what's the plan?"

"I thought you're not deaf and you heard me perfectly fine?"

I sighed again, a very long one for that matter. He will never stop I can feel it and I have to be patient...very very patient before I turn to be a patient literally in the emergency room having a high blood pressure.

"My mind is occupied with so many things going on, so have a heart and repeat it again, will you?"

"Say the magic word first." I can feel him holding back his laughter.

"Please..." I uttered feigning my sincerity with my soft voice but my face is nothing but scowling.

He chuckled a little. "Plus the name."

"Please...honey."

"That's my girl."

And then he started his blabbering about the escape plan but just after he finished his whole round of laughter.

The crazy Chev is really into it today.

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Minutes later, I'm comfortably sitting on a leather chair not in one of high-ticket race cars of Chev but one of the choppers owned by Demon. Yes, that's right, Dominique...the great is escaping the press with a freaking helicopter. That's what you called a great escape with style.

I can't suppress the playful grin that escaped my lips at the thought.

Sitting right beside me is none other than the owner with his scowling face, acting as usual as if he's having his menstrual period, grumpy and cranky.

So that's the purpose of the helipad on top of the building I'm residing. That's maybe the reason why the three idiots especially the one beside me never settled for just a simple building, they wanted a freaking helipad on top of it. It served as our camping site during birthdays and beer days. And now they put it into good use.

By the way, the owner of that building is the cranky man beside me, Demon Clyde.

"You're impossible! You can still grin like that amidst this mess?" He said almost growling.

"Yes, I'm already aware of that." I replied confidently with a smile on my face. "The pictures are true, some are edited but the stories are full of crap and bullshit. So relax everything will be in its proper place in time." Now I'm turning into playful Chev.

Speaking of the devil, where is he right now? The last thing I know is that he served as a distraction for me to slip to the elevator up to the helipad.

"How's Chev by the way?"

"He's holding up. He's on his way to his secret hideout now. Don't worry about him. He can take care of himself just fine. Worry about yourself because you're in deep shit right now." He said with a frown not leaving his face.

I pursed my lips and never commented further. Not that I believe in everything he said. It's just that, he believes he's always right even if he's wrong, so pointing out my opinion is futile because domineering Demon will just find his way to win by hook or by crook.

He's a tyrant businessman. He plays fair but he also knows how to play dirty and you don't want to cross him in his dirty games.

Same with arguments so better pursed your lips and play safe.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Leandro's POV

Escaping is not my cup of tea, but here I am driving the length of one of the most hazardous roads in the country all the way up to Baguio. The weather is chilling probably close to a single digit. The panoramic view is fantastic with all the green and flowering trees plus the stunning mountains ahead. People beside the road are smiling probably reminiscing something funny or anticipating the holidays. All in all, everything seems perfect...except me.

The good weather, picturesque views, and people smiling did not help my dark mood – nothing and no one would probably help.

Okay, probably there is one, but that only one just eloped with her billionaire lover, to where, I don't have a freaking idea.

The foolish me just drove to where her unit is located maybe unconsciously I don't really know. I want to give her the benefit of the doubt. Maybe there something behind those stories, maybe media just exaggerated on it, that's what they always do anyway, just maybe.

But to my dismay, no one was there. No press people around, just her old neighbor who told me that she flew with her other lover, the owner of the building.

That's the end of it. I don't want to hear anything about her anymore. The maybe that I'm holding onto just washed away like that.

I had a reroute and found myself under a century old Acacia tree near the school park where I used to play. I can see the classrooms from here. Nothing changed much in there except some additional buildings and paint colors. The pergolas are still standing hiding their crusty old selves inside shiny varnishes. The benches are occupied by several students having their lunch.

Its lunchtime already but it is as if my stomach is having its dark mood also not wanting to eat. I just watched them as they're having meals between chattering. Some little boys are secretly glancing at the cute little girl in front of them when she's not looking. But as soon as the girl looked up in front, they immediately turned their heads down as if they're really busy with their foods.

I can't help but smile at the scene. That brings memories. It's very nostalgic.

@@@@@@@@@@

"Hey transferee, you're eating egg again?" I asked the cute little girl in front of me who's busy spooning her rice and ignoring me.

"You had egg yesterday and now its egg again, didn't your mom know its bad luck? You might get zero on tests."

I'm ready to be ignored throughout the meal. That's what always happened anyway. But to my surprise she looked up at me and replied, "We don't believe on that. Besides I have boiled eggs now, yesterday's fried, so there's a difference."

I shook my head and just hold my comments on the tip of my tongue. Instead I just smiled at her and put a piece of hotdog on her Tupperware cover. She shook her head indicating she didn't want it, but I persisted.

"I'll return your ponytails, if you accept that. It's a promise." I raised my right hand to show my sincerity.

She looked hesitant for seconds and then nodded in agreement.

I flashed my triumphant smile. "I'm sure you'll get 100 on exams, the hotdog made the difference."

She examined the foods on top of her Tupperware cover. There located on top two boiled eggs beside a piece of hotdog that pretty looks like 100 and I added a percent sign using catsup to complete the effect.

She smiled sheepishly in my direction and I shouted a triumphant YES inside my head. That's the first time she smiled back at me and it made my young heart flipped.

Without a doubt, I have a big crush on her and I'm not the only one. The entire gang beside me is looking at her in awe. I poked them on the head one by one to get their attention. I worked really hard to get that pretty smile out of her lips and they're enjoying it? I should be the only one enjoying it.

@@@@@@@@@@@@

"What the hell are you talking about gramps?" I purposefully rose from my sit both of my hands are on top of the desk. In front of me is my grandfather, Leandro Valderama, Sr. He's sitting like a king, intimidating, authoritarian with his aristocratic features looking at me with displeasure on his face. "You're kidding, right?"

"I don't kid Cliff, what part of that statement you don't understand?" He replied calmly and stiffly completely ignoring my outburst.

"All of it." I sighed deeply to calm my raging nerves." Every single word of that statement sounds bullshit to me!"

"Watch your word young man." His voice was flat but his face was giving me nothing but warning.

I fell silent for seconds and slumped on the wooden chair just beside the desk. I felt I ran a mile and lost all my energy. This is not really my day. It's really true that when it rains, it pours. I'm the living example of it right now.

"It's for your own good, son. Besides you and I both know that you love her. Actually the entire family does." So he's switching tactic now attacking my emotional side. I wanted to laugh, but I just can't, not in front of this old manipulative businessman. He's addressing the matter as if it's one of his business deals that need to be signed and delivered as he pleases.

"Plus you're not getting any younger, so as your parents and me and your grandma. Just do it, hijo. If not for me, for your grandma." He gave me his signature tender look of his that could manipulate any normal breathing human being with his expressive eyes.

He's really in for the kill. Leandro Valderama, Sr. just aged but never lost his touch.

But I'm my father's son and my father is a spitting image of my gramps inside and out. So, to cut the long story short, I'm as stubborn as this old man and maybe far worse.

Pissed off maybe an understatement of what I'm feeling right now, but I have to deal with the matter calmly. I'm a businessman too maybe I could use that to my advantage as what my gramps is doing.

"Believe me gramps, I understand your point, but I don't think it's a good idea. Yes, it worked for you and grandma so as my dad and mom, but it doesn't really mean that it will work for us."

He never replied to that. Maybe it's a good sign. I must stand my ground and go for the kill.

"Plus, I'm pretty sure she'll not approve of this stupid arrange marriage. Hell, she doesn't even love me." Okay, I made my point now, what's next?

To my surprise he flashed me a tricky smile almost smugly. "And how sure are you? Are you willing to put your life on the line standing for that belief, Leandro Cliff Valderama III?" He's obviously challenging me and the way he said it, it is as if he already knows who will be the winner in the end, and that's no other than him, what a tricky old man!

But I have my pride and I should stand for it. Not that I'll really die proving my point, so nothing to lose anyway.

"Of course gramps, no one in his or her right mind would be so willing to jump into a lifetime commitment without the presence of love. Only fools do that."

And Raymond Lee is the greatest fool of them all.

"Son, even fools fall in love. Actually, we're one of those fools but look at us now, we're happy married fools." He smiled genuinely this time and I perfectly see how happy his life really is with my grandma.

"But gramps, I don't what to join in your gang. I'm perfectly happy now with my fiancée."

His smile turned into frown when I mentioned my fiancée. "So, this is your definition of perfectly happy? Your so-called fiancée just elope with her lover leaving you like shit? To tell you frankly son, you're worse than a fool right now."

I totally agree with him but I'd rather pursed my lips and stand my ground. The worse is yet to come.

"He's just her friend trying to help. Don't believe everything you see on TV screens just because they have good captions and beautiful narrations." I really hope that's the case. I'll sponsored masses in all churches in the city if my lie turned out to be true.

"No matter what you say, I'll never approve of that bitch. So, I'm telling you right now, break the engagement and marry Abigail. She's a million times better." His voice boomed in the entire library. So much for the calm discussion, we're both nearing our limits.

"Don't call her bitch. She's nothing like that." I don't know where I get the courage to depend her in front of my old man. It felt not right to judge her without her explanation. Every criminal has the right to depend his or herself. She's nothing like criminal and she doesn't deserve all the bullshits they're saying about her. I realized at that moment I'm really at fault. I should've not judge her like everybody is doing now.

"Then tell me, what should I call her? She's dating three other men while in relationship with you?"

"And so did we, once in our lives, even much worse than that, but no one called us names like that, no one curse us in front of our faces. So, please don't judge her, you don't even know her." I know I'm close to pleading but I don't care. It feels right to stand for her right now.

"Look son, don't make it hard for both of us. All you have to do is break your engagement, which is the most logical action to take in the midst of this scandal and marry Abigail afterwards." He paused for a while and rose on his sit. "You love her don't you? You really had this thing for her for as long as I can remember."

I fell silent again. I had a crush on her when we were in grade school. She became my friend. She's my childhood sweetheart. She's probably my first love. I never told her. I was stuck in the friend zone. End of the story.

And now, my family is trying to be cupid for setting up this arranged marriage. I'm sure she's not aware of this and if she ever heard of this crap, she'll just laugh and ignore the whole thing.

It's frustrating how your reasoning just fell into deaf ears, but you have no choice but to reason out anyway.

"She'll not approve of this. I'm sure of it. We're just friends nothing more."

"Don't put words into her mouth. She knew this arranged marriage since she was ten. She's waiting for you to confess but you're just a coward and stupid to let her slip away."

I was dumbstruck with the whole statement. Is that really true? Did she really wait for me?

"I'll give you three days to decide. I hope by then you'll come into your senses and choose the best decision." He left the library leaving me on my sit staring blindly at the paintings on the wall.

Seconds later, I exited the library only to be surprised by someone I least expected to see, Gail – the woman my parents decided to be their daughter-in-law and my wife to be specific.

She flung her arms around my neck that caught me off guard and made me slightly outbalanced. I roared in laughter with her action. She's clumsy as ever but she feels good in my arms.

I don't have to wait for three days to make a decision. Tomorrow, I'll be back to Manila and hold a press con.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.7M 192K 51
"What if the right person is also your Mr. So Wrong?" *** Her lips touched and teased and coaxed him and he felt her touch in every cell and every bo...
368 4 25
Zoe's down on her luck. Her father is in of surgery. Her rent is overdue, and she is drowning in debt. Her friend offers her a job as a call girl. Sh...
175K 4.5K 16
Kacey grew up living a hard life. she got into trouble but she snapped out of it and pulled her life together. She has a lot to deal with her,drug ad...
21.2K 1.6K 36
Harlie has been recently handed down her father's empire and she has no clue in how to run it. Nobody knows that small fact except for the ones who w...