The Undecided Title Of Sara M...

By Shylowdeath

"You need to know something," said Fili, taking her face in his large warm hands. "You will always have me. E... More

Chapter 1: The Door
Chapter 2: A Most Respectable Hobbit
Chapter 3: Home Invasion
Chapter 4: Quest
Chapter 5: Breakfast and a Bet
Chapter 6: Ink and Earmuffs
Chapter 7: Braids of a Difference Color
Chapter 8: Assumptions
Chapter 9: Swimming
Chapter 10: Kisses, Trolls, and an Argument
Chapter 11: Assessment
Chapter 12: Reconciliation
Chapter 13: On the Run.
Chapter 14: Flee For Your Lives
Chapter 15: Rest
Chapter 16: Heart Sister
Chapter 17: Not Water
Chapter 18: Visitor
Chapter 19: Wandering
Chapter 20: Diplomacy and Visions
Chapter 21: Council and Escape
Chapter 22: Into the Mountains
Chapter 23: Revilation
Chapter 24: Contemplation and Persuasion
Chapter 25: Rain, Rain, Rain
Chapter 26: Down and Out
Chapter 27: Captive
Chapter 28: Comfort and Secrets
Chapter 29: Awake
Chapter 30: Flight of the Dwarves
Chapter 31: Challenge Accepted
Chapter 32: Making Time
Chapter 33: Aftermath
Chapter 34: Teddy Bear Picnic
Chapter 35: Action
Chapter 36: Hidden Truths are Unspoken Lies
Chapter 37: Dark Inhabitants
Chapter 38: Lost and Found
Chapter 39: Pursuit
Chapter 40: Ill Met
Chapter 41: Unwilling Guests
Chapter 42: Stolen
Chapter 43: Arrival
Chapter 44: Reunion and Recuperation
Chapter 45: The Past
Chapter 46: Memories and Letters
Chapter 47: Feast of Starlight
Chapter 48: Manipulation
Chapter 50: Foiled Escape
Chapter 51: Under Attack
Chapter 52: Apologies
Chapter 53: Guests
Chapter 54: Unwilling
Chapter 55: Poison
Chapter 56: Compromising
Chapter 57: Statis Quo
Chapter 58: The Mark of Aule
Chapter 59: The Return
Chapter 60: Catching Up
Chapter 61: Crack in the Mountain
Chapter 62: Smaug the Magnificent
Chapter 63: Rescue and Revenge
Chapter 64: Home at Last
Chapter 65: The Madness of Preparation

Chapter 49: Plots

190 8 0
By Shylowdeath

In which there is confrontation and cooperation.

The back of Sara's neck crawled, goosebumps erupting over her skin and down her back as the door clicked shut behind her. She stood alone with Saruman in the small room, her tongue still pressed tightly to the roof of her mouth, gagging her. The wizard turned away from the door to face her.

"Miss Miller," he said, gesturing to a hard and uncomfortable looking chair set before a small round table adorned with a single burning candle. It was the only source of light in the small room. Sara didn't move, didn't take her eyes from the old man as he made his way around the table to sit in his own high backed padded chair several feet back from the table. The room was cramped and plain, bare save for the table and chairs, and resembled a large closet more than anything. Her eyes flicked around the room looking for a possible means of escape but there were no windows or doors except for the one they had entered through. As if reading her mind the wizard spoke.

"Set aside any foolish hope you may have of escaping my dear." His voice was stickily sweet but she could hear the sour note among the honeyed words. His tone did not vail his open threat. "You are here because I will it, and you and your party shall remain here until I allow you to leave. All I require from you is simple information. Give me that and you may go. I will no longer stand in the way of your quest, it matters little to me once I have what I came for." Sara glared at him unable to speak and unwilling to move. Saruman frowned. "Come be seated." She didn't move. He frowned.

"I had hoped not to resort to force, but if you insist." Her legs jerked her forward, propelling her to the chair like a marionette at the puppet master command. She thudded into her chair, her tail bone smarting with the violent collision as she regained control of her limbs. Saruman steepled his fingers in his lap. "Now, I shall release your tongue, but let us have no foolish cries for help. The guards who brought you here are well out of earshot and obey my command." Sara felt her tongue go slack and she swallowed gratefully, the odd panic of nearly choking dispelled. She glowered at Saruman. She had to be careful in this encounter. Clearly he was not playing to script anymore. Who knew what his ultimate motives were or where his true allegiances lie. His actions so far could only lead her to believe he meant trouble. Had he turned his skills to Sauron's will already? He was a wild card at this point, but perhaps, perhaps she could find out.

"What do you want here Saruman?" she asked coolly.

"I told you my dear, I have merely come to speak with you."

"Seems rather a lot of trouble just to talk," she said, trying to push away the dull pounding in her skull. She needed all her wits about her.

"You have no idea just how much... trouble I have gone through to meet with you after our regrettable little encounter in Rivendell," he said. Her arm tingled slightly as she remembered his vice like grip on her bicep as his nails had cut into her skin.

"What, you mean trouble other than ruining our peace negotiations with King Thranduil and getting the entire company arrested?" she spat acidly.

"Indeed. This is in fact my second attempt to bring you under my sway since then. The first attempt was lamentably less profitable and left you quite scarred."

"Scarred," she said skeptically, running a hand over her bicep. "Your words were sharp and your nails sharper still, but I have endured much worse before and since. You have not scarred me in any way."

"You misunderstand me," he said leaning back in his seat and out of the light of the candle. Shadows obscured his pointed features as he spoke. "Did it never occur to you to ask how Azog came to know exactly where to lay in wait for the company in the mountains, how he knew which path you would take?"

"What has Azog got to do with any of this," snapped Sara, the pain in her head resurfacing with renewed vigor. The sound of the smug wizard's voice grated on her already frayed patience. Why couldn't Saruman have waited for his shenanigans till after the hangover had passed, but no that would have been too convenient.

"Everything to do with my reason for being here my dear. Had he returned you to me, as per our agreement, then none of this regrettable business here with the elves would have been necessary." Their agreement? Sara's mind finally clunked into action, the proper synapses firing, making the connection. Cold dread washed through her.

"You told him where to find us," she accused. Saruman gazed steadily at her from across the table, never breaking eye contact as a smirk played across his lips.

"I did," he admitted. "But Azog failed to bring you to me, forcing me to tip my hand. I fear I miscalculated. I relied too much on his hatred of Thorin to realize that the defiler was seeking not only his revenge but also fulfilling the will of his dark master. I should have known one such as he would be taken in by Sauron himself."

"Miscalculated?" shot Sara. "Miscalculated? Azog never intended to bring me to you. He was going to kill me to spite Thorin and the company, to goad them into making a stupid rash move and it almost worked. He only stopped when he found the mark on my hand. If Beorn hadn't set me free I would be in Dol Guldur, subject to his master's will. I would say miscalculated is a gross understatement." She shuddered, a thrill of fear and panic racing through her at the memory of Azog's body crouched over hers as he branded her arms with his name. Her wrists stung, as if remembering brought back a ghost of the pain. Saruman looked a bit annoyed.

"So Gandalf informed me when last we spoke. Indeed it was your encounter with Azog and Gandalf's findings in the tombs of Angmar that prompted me to allow the council to investigate the ruins in Dol Guldur. I have long had my speculations, as has Gandalf, but I had not wanted to tip the scale just yet. Not until I have the power and means to drive Sauron into oblivion."

"Where is Gandalf?" she questioned hesitantly. Saruman smirked.

"Let us say that he is safely out of the way investigating the ruins of the enemy to the South. Gandalf is so easily led astray. The ruins were abandoned by the time the council came to bear on it, but the old fortress showed signs of very recent inhabitation. Lady Galadriel and Lord Elrond returned to their people, but Gandalf and Glorfindel are searching for any clues as to the enemies true power and plans. Quash any hope you have that Gandalf will save you. He will not be coming after your company anytime soon I assure you."

Why was Saruman being so forthcoming? He was talking too much, revealing too much, as if he were just speaking to fill empty space. This seemed like the typical brags of a villain but surely Saruman was too smart to admit all this to her. Did he like the sound of his own voice that much? Why tell her? Unless... Perhaps he never meant her to leave this room alive, or at least not under her own power. Perhaps he revealed all this to her because he knew she would not be telling anyone. Was he using his silver tongue on her even now, telling her things of importance to steal her attention and keep her listing to his voice? Could it work on her even if she were aware of it. She could feel nothing strange in the wizards words.

"I know what you're trying to do," she bluffed. "I know all about your silver tongue and it won't work on me."

Saruman scoffed. "Then clearly you can't know all about it or you would know that you have no hope of escaping my control. In your case it is of no consequence that you are aware of the spell. You have no magic of your own to block me. With the elf king and prince I had to tread much more carefully so they did not detect the spell. But Thranduil would never suspect or doubt me. He believes himself to be above all influence, immune to such magic. His arrogance has been his downfall, but with you it is only a matter of time till my words envelop your will and make you my creature."

A thrill of fear spiked though her. Was that really true? Was she powerless against his voice? She had felt nothing as he spoke but perhaps it was not too late. She had to get out, away from his voice before she was utterly taken over. She tensed her muscles, ready to kick the small table at the wizard and make a break for the door. Hopefully it was unlocked.

"Don't try it," said Saruman, lazily flicking a wrist. Her entire body seized, frozen in place. "There is no escape for you. No one to intercede on your behalf. I will have what I desire from you Sara Miller, make no mistake."

"And just what exactly are you after Saruman?" she hissed. As the seconds passed her body began to ache as Saruman continued his hold on her. The wizard leaned forward, his gaze heavy and intense.

"The success of a most noble cause. I desire the downfall of Sauron once and for all. I desire to bring peace to Middle Earth. You claim you have knowledge of his defeat which means you must know the location of the item I seek." She glowed at him. "Come now Ms. Sara," he cajoled. "We both seek something. You wish to be reunited with your long lost family here in Middle Earth, and I seek security for the people of this land. Help me and I shall be able to help you. Give me the location of Sauron's ultimate power." Sara's mind reeled. There was only one item he could be speaking of. If she were honest, deep down she had suspected this was what Saruman had been after the whole time.

"There's only one thing you could want if you are trying to defeat Saruman, and the very fact that you are seeking it is proof you can't be trusted with it." He released her body from the spell and leaned back in his chair, the shadows obscuring his features.

"Then you do know what I speak of." She remained silent for several long moments. "Do not toy with me girl," he said, his voice a sibilant hiss. "I am older and more powerful than you can possibly imagine. Who better to wield the ring of Sauron than me?"

"All the more reason you cannot possess it," she said defiantly. If only the pounding in her head would cease. "I know the ring of power is what you want but I don't have it, and if I have any say in the matter you will never lay your hands on it either."

"You are a fool," growled Saruman. "You must give me the ring. Tell me where to find it. Only in my hands can the ring be used for good. I can use Sauron's own power against him." Sara shook her head in disbelief.

"You sound just like Boromir. You can't possess the ring or turn it to your own purpose. It has its own will, Sauron's will, and if you don't have the power to face him head-on how could you hope to bend his will to yours. You may think you can do good using its power and that's what the ring would want you to think, but in reality it would simply twist all your efforts to evil. Surely you must know this. Even Lady Galadriel and Gandalf in the future will not accept the ring when it is offered to them."

"Offered to them," scoffed Saruman. "They are weak and lack ambition, as do all inhabitants of Middle Earth. The few who have the power to enact change refuse, and those who do act are futile in their efforts. There are none with the power and will to act, save myself. Give me the power of the ring and I will destroy it once Sauron is defeated." Sara shook her head not believing her ears.

"Don't you see how circular that argument is! You can't defeat him while the ring survives, but you won't destroy the ring till he is defeated. It's a classic Catch-22. You have to understand that, so either you're flat-out lying about destroying the ring or you're blind drunk on your own power. Sauron will fall but not by your hand."

"If not mine then who's? Yours? You are nothing but a spit of a girl. You have no power to speak of whatsoever."

"No. Thankfully not me," said Sara. "Even if I remain here in Middle Earth the rest of my life, I would not live to see his downfall."

"You are mortal, a weak fleeting creature." He regarded her over the small table, his long nails tapping on the table. "Tell me Sara Miller, sent of the Valar, if it is not my destiny to overcome Sauron and it is not yours then who?"

"Even if I dared tell you, you would not believe me," she said. "You are too arrogant. You look down on all those you believe to be underneath you."

"I insist you tell me," said Saruman in his most efficacious voice yet. "Where is the ring of power? Tell me so I may bring peace to Middle Earth and fulfill the will of the Valar. Tell me this and I will restore you to your family. You and your company of dwarves will be on your way."

"No," she replied, almost before he had finished speaking. "I don't believe you. You have tipped your hand in telling me all this. You have proven you care little for the lives of others, trading them like coins for your own desires. I'm no fool. You don't expect me to believe that you would really let us walk away from here knowing your true character." Saruman frowned and got to his feet, staring her down.

"Tell me," he tried again, his voice resonating in her ears. She braced herself, willing herself not to give into his power. She could feel nothing. "You will tell me what I desire," he repeated. She half expected him to wave his hand across her face in some parody of a Jedi. She braced. Once again, nothing.

"No," she said. "I refuse." Saruman strode forward, leaning closer to her face as her body grew stiff under his magic.

"How? How can you resist me? You have no magic. You should be under my sway. Unless..." He leaned forward, closer still until his hair almost brushed her cheeks. Stretching out a bony hand to her face he placed his middle finger on her pulse point under her jaw, his pointer finger resting just behind her ear while his thumb caressed her temple. His long nails scratched at her skin, distracting her from the pounding behind her ears.

"If I can't charm it from you, I will simply have to find the information myself." He began to mutter under his breath, his words unintelligible to her as his fingers pressed harder to her skull. Dark heavy tendrils of will were seeking a path into her mind, but no sooner had she sensed this then there was a loud snap and hiss. Instantly Saruman's fingers were gone and Sara opened her eyes to see the wizard cradling burnt fingertips to his chest. As the acrid smell of charred flesh filled her nose, the heavy muggy feeling in her head vanished along with the remaining effects of the elvish wine. Her head was remarkably clear and alert. Saruman glared at her, the smoke from his fingers swirling around him in the still air.

"It can't be," he seethed, anger flashing dangerously in his eyes. "Why? Why would they put a block on your mind? I must have the ring! I must know where to find it!"

A block on her mind? Was that why the Lady Galadriel had not been able to see into her mind? Had it even blocked her mirror? If neither Saruman or Lady Galadriel could penetrate her mind then it must have been the Valar who put the block there. Anyone lesser and they would have gotten through. In a way it made sense. If the Valar had wanted her to tell all, they could have simply dropped a copy of Tolkien's works in Gandalf's lap. But they had sent and armed her with protection against those who might seek to see into her mind. All this time she had wondered if and why the Valar had chosen her and for what purpose. While she still didn't have all the answers to those questions, it was reassuring to know that the Valar had not sent her here completely unprepared. Now it was simply down to her will and ability to keep her tongue despite her circumstances.

"Don't you see. This is proof the Valar don't want you to have the ring," she said. "The ring will never be yours. It will go to the ring bearer as it's meant to and they shall destroy it and Sauron together."

"I will have the ring," snarled Saruman, waving his charred hand. Her body snapped rigid once again, her muscles and joints screaming from the strain. "If I can't charm or pry it out of you then I shall have to force it out of you." She cried out in pain, feeling as though she might snap, as if she might be ripped asunder. There was a loud thump outside the door and Saruman instantly released her. The wizard rose and went to the door, yanking it open, the mask of calm civility returned to his face. He was greeted with an empty hallway. He stood there examining the empty space for several long moments before closing the door and returning to his seat. Sara curled in on herself slumping in her chair awaiting the inevitable return of agony.

"Will you relent?" he asked calmly as if he did this every day.

"You are not fit for your station or power," she spat, looking up at him through her loose hair. "The ring would have little work at all to corrupt you. You have already corrupted yourself and your purpose here in Middle Earth. It's abundantly clear you can't be allowed to possess such power. Do what you want to me. I won't tell you anything." His calm demeanor slipped, rage flashing back into its place.

"No, perhaps not, at least not yet. It seems I have yet to apply the proper leverage." His hand struck out and she flinched away, waiting for the blow to land, but it never did. She felt the wizards gnarled fingers scrabbling at the neckline of her dress. For a bizarrely horrifying moment she feared the worst, but it was quickly dispelled when he yanked the chain from around her neck. Her locket glinted golden in the candlelight as Saruman withdrew toward his chair. Panicking, Sara lunged across the table, making a wild grab for her necklace but she was brought up short mid lunge, frozen once again, this time halfway over the table. Terror and rage battled inside her chest, searing and freezing by turn, making it painful to breathe. The locket dangled from his uninjured hand, swinging like a lackadaisical parody of a pendulum.

"It seems I have struck a nerve," he said, smiling as he sat. "Gandalf informed me of how you came to the knowledge of your true origins and the significance of this trinket. It occurs to me that it may be more efficient to use other methods to obtain the ring's whereabouts from you. Your scars from Azog tell me that you can indeed endure a certain degree of physical pain, but how will you react when deprived of your heart's truest desire. This is your one and only clue to the past and you are mine to the future. Wouldn't it be a shame if you never got it back."

"You have no right," snarled Sara through clenched teeth. "Give it back to me."

"As soon as you tell me where to find the ring." He released the spell on her and she fell painfully on the table and to the floor. A chill spread over her like a frigid egg being smashed inside her chest and oozing out to the rest of her body. She had to get the locket back, but with his magic she would never get near Saruman. But neither could she give into him. The ring was here, right under the Wizards' very nose, and if he got his hands on it there was no telling what would happen. No double it would result in loss of countless lives, if not immediately then later down the road. One thing was clear, no matter how much Saruman claimed or even believed he would do good with the ring, he was far from altruistic. Much as she hoped to one day meet her family, if she gave the ring to Saruman they would all wind up dead. The truth of her decision clawed and raked at her heart as she shook her head.

"I still won't tell you," she said, her eyes pricking with tears of frustration, grief, and loss.

"So you say now," said Saruman coolly. "I shall give you one day to contemplate your decision. It would be in your best interest to reconsider my dear."

"My answer won't change," she bit out.

"If that is truly the case," he said, rising and stuffing the locket into his white robes as he went to the door and opened it. "Then tomorrow morning I shall have to apply more leverage. Your dwarven friends may or may not have the knowledge I seek, but either way I think their screams of pain might loosen your tongue."

"You can't do..." she began, but in an instant her tongue was pressed to the roof of her mouth as Saruman's magic forced her to stand and walk out into the hall. She stood, frozen in place as Saruman strode away from her calling for the guards. She was left alone in the empty hallway and so was all the more startled when warm fingers wrapped around her and squeezed reassuringly. It was a good thing she was unable to speak or she may have screamed. But her startlement was replaced with a modicum of comfort. It was Bilbo, but just as quickly as he had been there he was gone again. Saruman had returned with four guards in tow.

"Sara Miller will also require a solitary cell," said the wizard. "But remember, you are not to stand guard over her. Be sure that no one comes within range of her voice. We cannot have her lies and deceits spread throughout the halls of King Thranduil." The guards nodded their understanding and Saruman's power over her body relaxed, leaving only her tongue still frozen in place as the guards dragged her roughly away. "Till tomorrow morning Ms. Miller," called the wizard to her back.

Thorin let his head fall back against the damp wall of the cell, his left boot scooting forward through the shallow puddle. One would have thought that elves could build cells that didn't drip like a cavern, but perhaps that was the intention. He struck his head on the wall again and again, his teeth gritted, fists clenched on his thighs as frustration, fear, and anger coursed through him, muddling, freezing, and burning simultaneously. Curse Thranduil. Curse the wizard Saruman. Curse this cell. Curse Gandalf and his absence. Curse it all. Slumping down in his misery he rubbed a grimly hand over his brow. He knew that most of his anger stemmed from his fear for Sara and the company and his inability to do anything to help the situation.

Hours had passed since he was locked in here, and there had been no word from any of them. He was fairly sure it was well past morning by now and the wizards parting words had tormented him relentlessly through the night. Sara had worked and strived to keep the future safe and secret, but if once the wizard was allowed alone with her, she would be charmed into telling him whatever he wanted. Not only that but Saruman had vowed to turn Sara against him and the company. That had been a bitter blow even though Thorin knew that such a spell could not hold forever. In order for that enchantment to endure it would need to be constantly fed by the wizards power and influence. Once they got her away from Saruman the spell would wane. Still, it would certainly complicate any attempt to escape if they had to take an unwilling and hostile party with them, to say nothing of the grief it would cause he and the others to have Sara hate and fear them until the spell wore off. That could take weeks, depending on the spells strength and how receptive Sara was to it. And then there was also the threat of physical torment on the others. The wizard was truly desperate and there was no telling what he may do.

All these thoughts and worries swirled in his mind constantly gnawing at his nerves as he sat alone in the dark, his ears trained to catch the tiniest sound among the drips, trickles, and splashes of water all around him. He shifted his position and felt something heavy press against his thigh inside his pocket. He fished for it and pulled out the key to Erebor. At least he had the good sense to keep it with him, though he wished he had ignored Balin and Fili and kept Orcrist as well. Hang diplomacy. Few things were as reassuring as a good blade in your hand.

He froze. Were those approaching footsteps? Perhaps. If it were, the individual was creeping along with great caution. An enemy? An assassin? Thorin tucked the key into his boot and was pleased to find a sizable stone on the ground near his feet. Gripping it firmly in his hand, he moved quietly to the door of the cell, peering out into the dark, listening intently. It was silent for a moment save the running water. Was he hearing things? But no, there was the sound of a small stone skipping across the rock floor and then clattering in the depths of the cavern. The guards had taken the torches near his cell leaving just the flame at the top of the narrow stairs some 40 or 50 away. Even in the dark Thorin could see, but the angle of the cell did not allow him a view of the majority of the stairs, only a glimpse of the few feet at the top of the stairs and by his cell

Who was creeping about in the dark trying to sneak up on him? Whoever it was was a fool. They may find him without a true weapon, but he was far from helpless. They would not take him unaware. He pressed himself to the wall, hiding in the darker shadows, ready to strike through the bars. Any second now. But no one came into view though the footsteps paused outside the cell. Someone was there; he was certain of it. He could hear their breath. Why couldn't he see them?

"Bilbo?" asked Thorin into the quiet, moving from his place in the shadows. There was a familiar startled gasp and scuffling. The water that dripped over the edge of the path and down into the depths of the cavern splashed violently and Thorin heard the breath whoosh out of the hobbit's lungs.

"Help," croaked Bilbo's weak voice.

"What happened? Where are you?" called Thorin in a whisper.

"Here. I fell over the edge. Hurry, my fingers are slipping."

Dropping the rock Thorin reached through the bars and across the narrow path to where he heard the hobbit panting. A moment of searching fingers and he had Bilbo by the wrist and was pulling him back over the edge. Thorin pulled the little fellow security against the bars before releasing him.

"Thank you," sighed Bilbo, relief clear in his voice. Thorin sat back against the bars, not bothering to avoid the puddle, the seat of his pants already wet.

"If you cannot even see your own feet to keep them when you are invisible, perhaps you should not wear the ring," suggested Thorin, trying to keep the irritation from his tone. Bilbo chuckled softly and popped into view over his shoulder.

"I can see my own feet," he said, slipping the ring into his vest pocket. "At least I can when it's not dark. It was you stepping out of the shadows brandishing a rock that startled me over the edge. You looked ready to bludgeon me."

"I apologize," said Thorin. "I had no way of knowing you were not an assassin. With all that has happened I would be little surprised."

"Fair point," agreed Bilbo, turning to face him, his round features sobering rapidly.

"Where are the others?" asked Thorin.

"I am not sure about Sara, but all the others are gathered not too far from here, locked in cells."

"They got everyone?"

"Yes, they even dragged Dwalin out of his bed." Thorin cursed under his breath. "But you don't know about Sara?" Bilbo shook his head, his damp curls bouncing slightly.
"No. Not too long ago she was taken by Saruman but I could not follow her to the cell she was taken to. Too many guards."

"If Saruman has her then it is too late," groaned Thorin. "She will be under his spell by now."

"No," said Bilbo earnestly, shaking his head. "No, Sara is still herself. You see, I was able to follow them and I stood outside the door eavesdropping. Sara has not been enchanted."

"But how could she resist Saruman's silver tongue?"

"The Valar have put a block on her mind," said Bilbo. Thorin turned around so he could see the hobbit fully.

"Explain." Quickly Bilbo recounted what had happened during Sara's interrogation.

"Do you know about this ring that Saruman seeks?" asked Bilbo, finishing.

"I have heard tale of it," said Thorin hesitantly. "But I always understood that it was lost to the sea by means of the Anduin river. If this is truly what the wizard seeks and Sara knows about it then that explains why she would speak so little of the future. The ring is extremely powerful."

"Do you think Sara knows where it is?" asked Bilbo. Thorin nodded.

"Yes, or at least where it will be at a given time." They were quiet for a moment each thinking. "You say Saruman took her locket?"

"Yes," said Bilbo, worriedly pulling at the hair atop his feet "And now she has to choose between protecting the future and this ring or protecting the company and the hope of finding her family." Thorin's heart sank. I was a weighty choice. He had little doubt she would endure pain herself to spare others but what about when others suffered for her silence. He knew the others would and could endure torture for her, of that he had no doubt but to make her watch as it happened would likely break her...

"She won't have to choose," said Thorin fiercely.

"But Saruman is only giving her a day and then he will begin on the others."

"No he won't because by tomorrow morning we will have escaped. What time is it now?" Bilbo looked at him, thunderstruck.

"It's mid morning. But how do you propose we pull off such a stunt. I'm the only one who is not locked in a cell who believes Sara. All except..."

"Except who?" urged Thorin. Bilbo hesitated.

"The captain of the Guard, Tauriel."

"How do you know this?"

"I was there when Tauriel and Legolas came to speak to Sara just before Saruman dragged her off. She told them the truth... all of it, even went so far as to show them her mark and tell Legolas how to open her puzzle box so he could see her phone."

"Did they believe her?" asked Thorin skeptically.

"Well not exactly," admitted Bilbo. "At least not both of them. Tauriel did and said that she would help however she could but..."

"But not the Prince," finished Thorin. So he had not signaled the elf captain soon enough.

"No, not Legolas," said Bilbo. "Though he does seem torn. Sara and Tauriel believe it is, in part, because of Saruman."

"Yes," said Thorin, frowning. "Saruman was attempting to enchant the prince. I could sense it, though the spell was incomplete."

"How did you know about the spell?" asked Bilbo curiously. Thorin examined the little hobbit for a moment, judging his answer.

"As a dwarf I possessed some small amount of subtle magic. Nothing as showy as the wizard but I recognized the similarities."

"Do you have a silver tongue?"

Thorin raised an eyebrow. "No, nothing so manipulative or forceful," he said. "Though it is in a way related, it is something far less potent. But come, we have little time. We must plan for our escape."

"I will have to find Sara," said Bilbo "There were too many guards when they took her away but hopefully things will have settled down by now and I can locate her."

"That's a good start, but you will also have to find the one who has the keys to the cells and find a way to secure them." Bilbo nodded. "Less important but still needed we should try and find out where our belongings are, in particular our weapons. I assume they have been confiscated."

"Yes," confirmed Bilbo. "Almost immediately after the order from Thranduil was given, but I believe I will be able to find them."

"Very good," said Thorin, clapping a heavy hand on the hobbit's small shoulder. Bilbo slumped.

"Still, I don't know how we're going to get past all the guards and Saruman."

"That won't matter unless we are free and together, but it may be easier than you fear. You know the way to the wine cellar, do you not?" Bilbo nodded.

"But while we may be able to get out of the cells should I get the keys, we will still have to sneak past all the guards on the way there. The invisibility of the ring extends to my clothes and the belongings I carry, but not to those around me even if I touch them." Thorin frowned, disappointed.

"That is regrettable. As for making our way past the guards, it was a mistake for Saruman to have stationed them out of earshot. That will work in our favor. If you can sneak us our weapons then perhaps we can take them by surprise in the night if need be. With Mahal's blessing we will be away before any can raise an alarm."

"That sounds like a lot of luck," said Bilbo.

"It's true, but what else can we do? We can't stay here and we can't wait. We must try." Bilbo nodded resignedly.

"You are right."

"Are there any empty wine barrels in the cellar as in the book?" asked Thorin.

"I will have to check," admitted Bilbo. The little fellow shivered involuntarily. "Must it be the cellar. I am uncomfortable in the water. Hobbits are lamentable swimmers."

"Dwarves are not much better," said Thorin, unsure how to reassure the hobbit. "Unfortunately it is our best escape route. Not only is it unlikely that they will suspect us of going that way, but all other doors I have encountered that lead outside have powerful spells of detection on them. So unless you know of another way..."

"Your right," sighed Bilbo. "Airidan said the same thing about the doors. Still, escaping by night in the water is hardly ideal."

"Agreed, but we will have to make due. Do you think you can manage all that, the keys and the weapons?"

"I have to try," said Bilbo, sitting up straighter.

"Good man," encouraged Thorin.

"But what of Tauriel? Do we include her in our plans?"

"I prefer to leave her out of this," said Thorin.

"I understand how you feel," said Bilbo hesitantly. "But we may not be able to do this alone. If we are to accomplish this all before tomorrow morning and escape with a good chance to get ahead of anyone who may follow, then I may need help," urged Bilbo. Thorin observed the little hobbit, contemplating, weighing their options. Admittedly, of all the elves Thorin had yet encountered, he had to admit that the captain was tolerable and tolerant in return. She had proven herself sensible and kind, willing to listen and quick to act. Could he really afford to pass the chance for help from the inside. He groaned internally, knowing what Sara would have to say on the matter.

"Do you think we can trust her to help?" asked Thorin, catching and holding Bilbo's eye.

"She has already said she would," said Bilbo.

"No," insisted Thorin. "Do you trust her?" Bilbo though for a long moment.

" I do," he said nodding. "I believe her to be honorable and kind."

"Then I leave it to you. If you feel the need to bring her into this then do so. But be wary." The hobbit nodded soberly.

"I will, but if I'm to accomplish all this then I should go." He reached for the ring in his pocket.

"Wait," called Thorin softly, reaching into his boot. "Take this. It's safer with you at the moment then with me. Tell no one. If I am searched I don't want Saruman getting his hands on it." He held the key through the bars to the hobbit.

"Are you sure?" asked Bilbo, tentatively reaching for it.

"I am. I entrust this to you with the expectation that you return it to me when all this is concluded. Now be on your way and use caution. We can't afford to have you found out."

"I will," said Bilbo, tucking the key away and withdrawing the ring. He vanished from sight. "I'll be back soon."

"May Mahal go with you," called Thorin as Bilbo made his way carefully back up the winding stair.

Thorin waited for hours there in the dark, all the while fighting down his growing anxiety. Time seemed to run like water one moment and ooze like molasses the next. No one had come to disturb the silent dark. His empty stomach was his only clue as to how many hours had passed. What was keeping Bilbo? Had he been caught? Had Saruman changed his mind? Despite his racing thoughts and the dripping from the ceiling Thorin found himself dozing when there came a light tapping on the cell door. He jerked awake and cursed himself for falling asleep. He peered out through the bars and saw two faces staring back. Bilbo's face was excited and earnest. Beside him stood Tauriel looking warry and uneasy as Thorin observed her. He moved to the door.

"I see you decided to include Captain Tauriel in our plans."

"Well, actually she found me out. She caught me as I was packing our bags for transport."

"You were able to locate our belongings then?" asked Thorin.

"Yes, but there are a few missing items."

"Such as?"

"Ori's records are not to be found, nor is your sword."

"No doubt your scribe's records were taken by Saruman," said Tauriel, "Certainly he hopes to find some clue about the future."

"That could be troublesome," said Bilbo, looking between them.

"It is of no conscience," said Thorin. "He won't find anything. Not only is everything written in dwarvish, but I specifically instructed Ori to exclude any details about the future from his record."

"A wise choice," commented Tauriel. Thorin paused, mentally sizing her up. She seemed to sense his thoughts.

"You're wondering if you can trust me," she said. Thorin felt the modicum of appreciation rise in his chest. She was certainly no lackwit.

"Indeed I am. I wonder why you would betray your own kin and king to help our quest."

"You can trust that I believe this is in the best interest for my people. Our king is under the influence of a wizard who I do not believe means well. In turn, I do believe that Sara Miller is sent by the Valar and serves the better purpose. I believe in Sara and in the mark on her hand. If she has the blessing and support of the Valar, then aiding her cause can only be for the benefit of all."

"And what of your vow to the king and prince?" questioned Thorin. He must be sure.

"Once again, my oath is to my king, but also to the people of this kingdom. Were Thranduil or Legolas in their right mind I feel they would act to the same effect. I will serve my king best by serving the Valar. Saruman is dangerous. I would rather be branded a traitor but have worked to save my people then to loyalty sit by and watch those I love and care for languish and die due to my inaction." He nodded satisfied for the moment.

"If that is the case then we would welcome any help you can give us. I assume you have discussed our plans with Bilbo."

"Yes, I have. Clever to utilize the wine cellar as a means of escape. After this is all over I shall have to insist upon better security for that exit."

"It is possible then?" asked Thorin.

"Certainly," said the she elf. "Not only is it possible but due to the commotion of last night the empty wine barrels stand ready to use. The greatest challenge will be acquiring the keys to the cells. I do not carry those. Once we do we will have to make our way to the sellers unseen. Luckily we will not have far to go."

"How many guards shall we need to pass?" asked Thorin.

"About a dozen not including the ones here in the dungeon standing guard over you. The best time for us to escape will be a few hours after midnight. The guards change at twelve and six so that gives them all a chance to fall asleep while also leaving us enough time to get a substantial lead. There is one potential problem however."

"Only one?" asked Bilbo in mock disbelief.

"What's that?" asked Thorin, a bit surprised by the hobbit's sarcasm.

"There is a water gate that remains closed all times other than when the barrels and other things are scheduled to leave the palace."

"Is this gate guarded?"

"Yes, by six guards. While Bilbo has come up with an ingenious idea how to pass the guards indoors it will not work for those guards. They are too far from the palace to reach them and still accomplish all we must in time."

"How do you propose we get by them then?" asked Thorin cautiously. Tauriel grimaced.

"Much as I hate to say it, I'm afraid we shall have to ambush them." Thorin raised an eyebrow, folding his arms.

"And you would allow us to do this? To Ambush your own men?"

"It is a necessity if we are to get you to Lake Town, but I trust in your honor as king that you and your company will be no more violent than necessary." Thorin nodded somberly.

"You have my word."

"Very well," said Tauriel.

"But tell me, do you not plan to come with us?" He had picked up on her hesitation. She shook her head.

"No, if all goes as planned no one will know that I have aided you. I feel I should remain here with Legolas and the King. There is no telling what Saruman will do when he realizes you have escaped, but I suspect he will send a party after you. If I am still here I can fill that role with Legolas, Airidan, Ruven, Myrin and Lierin. I can lead them astray if need be and all the while it will also serve to keep the prince away from Saruman."

"That would be most advantageous," agreed Thorin. "What of Legolas? He does not believe our story?"

"Not yet," admitted Tauriel resignedly. "But I believe he will come around and see sense. To be honest I am not sure his reluctance is fully due to Saruman's power. I believe he is upset that the secret was kept from him, couple this with his desire to be a loyal son and the wizards spell and you can see why he might be reluctant to jump into supposed treachery."

"Loyalty is a commendable trait," said Thorin. "Still it is possible to be loyal to a fault." His thoughts flicked to his father and grandfather's past actions. Could he have changed the past if he had been as bold as the elf before him? Tauriel nodded.

"It can be dangerous when it blinds you to the truth," she agreed. "But if I know Legolas at all, his conscience will prick him and get the better of him in due time."

"Too bad we can't afford to wait," said Bilbo.

"Agreed," said Thorin. "Now what of our weapons and packs? Can we arrange to get those?"

"Yes," said Tauriel brightly. "We shall move them all to a storage closet near the cellar just after the guards have fallen asleep but before we come to get you."

"That is everything except our missing items," corrected Bilbo.

"Have we any idea where my sword is?" asked Thorin, although he felt he already knew. Tauriel's answer was as expected. She sighed.

"It's hung on Legolas's hip," she admitted. That would be a bitter blow to him but Sara's loss would be all the greater.

"Have we no hope of retrieving Sara's locket?"

"I'm afraid not," answered Tauriel. "The journals and locket are in Saruman's possession and it would be too big a risk to try and retrieve them."

"It will be hard for Sara so lose that necklace," said Bilbo. "To lose hope for her family. Perhaps with my ring I could..."

"No," interrupted Thorin. "Sara would not want us to jeopardize the future for it. No matter her good intentions I am sure she could not hold her tongue if Saruman began on the others and I don't want to put her in that position. It is imperative we make a clean break tonight."

"All right," agreed Tauriel. Thorin went over their meager plan in his mind, trying to ignore the water dripping into his hair. "There's only one thing I don't understand," he said, examining the pair outside the bars. "You said we are going to have to wait for the guards to fall asleep, but how can you be sure that they will?" Tauriel looked at Bilbo who flushed slightly with embarrassment.

"Go on, tell him," she urged. "It was your idea and I'm not entirely sure I understand." Bilbo looked at him and Thorin nodded encouragingly.

"Well I was going through Oin's bag looking for an herb he said would help boost Dwalin's stamina temporarily when I found this." He reached into his pocket and held out his hand to Thorin. "I remember the effect it had on Kili." Apprehensively, Thorin held out his hand, palm up. The little white bottle Sara had given to Oin to carry rattled as it fell into his hand. He brought the object closer to his face reading the inscription. A chuckle burbled up inside his chest.

"Well done Master Baggins. Well done."

That's it. Hope you liked it. It may take me a while this next chapter. I was asked to speak in church so that will keep me busy for a few days. Stay awesome and give me some love. What do you think?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.6K 595 26
Bouvardia Delphini Baggins is a hobbit of the Shire who has failed to be as respectable as her uncle is since she was first found. Now she spends her...
752 9 21
3 women expectantly find themselves in a world they read about in books. They end up helping a company of 13 dwarves and a wizard along with their n...
8.5K 313 21
COMPLETED story with a SEQUEL; "A Permanent Lineage" *Over 34+ chapters overall! "...She had dreamt of what his lips would feel and taste like for...
23.7K 645 52
"Someday you will return home too." Reluctantly, she opened one of the heavy wooden chests. The lid creaked loudly as it flipped back. A dusty cloak...