The Bending of Life

By Flint125

Kenna is a 17 year old 'orphan' trying her hardest to live a good life with her friends and the little money... More

Whats in the past, stays in the past
THE BENDING OF LIFE
A/N
Concerning updating...
Leaf in the wind (p.1)
Leaf in the wind (p.2)
The Revelation (p.1)
The Revelation (p.2)
The Voice in the Night (p.1)
The Voice in the Night (p.2)
Quick little A/N
The Voice in the Night (p.3)
The Spirit of Compition (p.1)
The Spirit of Competition (p.2)
The Spirit of Competition (p.3)
And the Winner is... (p.1)
And The Winner Is... (P.2)
The Aftermath (P.1)
The Aftermath (P.2)
The Aftermath (P.3)
When Extremes Meet (P.1)
Concerning rewrites
Concerning rewrites P.2
When Extremes Meet (P.2)
When Extremes Meet (P.3)
Out Of The Past
Turning The Tides (P.1)

And The Winner Is... (P.3)

946 37 8
By Flint125

Amon and his group of Equalists stepped off the platform, stalking towards the slowly retreating Wolfbats. They reacted suddenly, Tahno throwing a powerful water jet towards Amon, who easily evaded and moved towards the firebender. The Wolfbat's firebender tried to defend himself, sending a fire arc for the approaching foe, but his attack was rendered useless when Amon swings under it.

I turn away from the arena then, going to step for Lin and Tenzin when I noticed another small group of Equalists moving towards me. They were all decked out in masks and an electric shock glove, and they brandished them menacingly as they approached.

"You just ruined my night," I hissed, shooting forward as the Equalists prepared to attack. Two of three threw their arm forward, trying to connect their gloves with my bare arms. I slipped between them, twisting my body to the side and reaching out, grabbing onto their gloves and drawing in the contained electricity. I threw it back out at them, forcing it through the gloves and into their bodies, pushing them away as they fell to the floor.

The remaining foe took a more conservative approach, holding his glove slightly behind him and out of my reach as he circled around. I mirrored his movement, calling a ball of fire to my palms as I held them in a generic boxers stance.

"Come get me," I taunted, sending the Equalists a smirk as they moved forward, bringing his unloved hand forward for a punch. I diffused the fire in my left hand and caught his fist, twisting it painfully as I spun inside his guard, pulling his arm over my shoulder before I bent forward, throwing his entire weight over my back.

He reacted quickly, time seeming to slow as he brought the glove to brush against my exposed back as he was lifted through the air, electricity crackling as it burst across the thin material of my shirt.

But I was ready for that.

Breathing deeply, I called the electricity entering my body to my hands, funnelling it straight back into the Equalists as time returned to normal. His glove has jerked away, his back slamming into the floor as he convulsed in pain. I'd ensured to only used enough electricity to render him useless, and not unconscious.

"Forgot I could lightning bend, huh? Idiot," I chastised as I stomped a floot onto his chest, keeping him pinned against the floor. "Now tell me, what's the big boss' plan for tonight? Is he hoping to take the bending of both teams and the police force? Make a big statement that he shouldn't be messed around with?"

"Long live Amon. For the revolution!" The Equalists spat back, seeming to fumble with something in his pocket.

"Oh, please don't pull a cyanide," I sighed as I kicked his arm with the toe of my boot before resting it back on his chest. "If you don't tell me, I'll just throttle your boss until he tells me himself."

"Ha. You benders, always so high and mighty!" The man barked, sneering up at me. "That's why Amon does what he does. That's why the revolution will-"

His rambling speech drew to a gurgle when I pressed a fingertip to his forehead, sending a flash of electricity into him to shut him up. I stepped away from the three Equalists, rushing over to Tenzin and Lin and dropping down by their sides.

"Tenzin, come on. Wake up old man," I hissed as I shook his shoulders, groaning when he refused to regain consciousness. I moved to Lin, giving her the same treatment and receiving the same response. "For gods sake!"

"I believe I have you attention, benders of Republic City," A cold voice echoed across the arena. I was on my feet in an instant, staring down at the Equalist leader who know held a microphone close to his mouth. "So once again, the Wolfbats are your pro bending champions. It seems fitting that you celebrate three bullies who cheated their way to victory because every day, you threaten and abuse your fellow non bending citizens just like the Wolfbats did to their opponents tonight."

There were Equalist lackeys stationed all around the arena. Six lay unconscious around me, and I could faintly make out shapes of more as they held citizens in the stands hostage.

"Those men were supposedly the best in the bending world, and yet it only took me a few moments to cleanse them of their impurity," Amon continued, gesturing to where the Wolfbats had been thrown over the edge of the arena. "Let this be a warning to all of you benders out there; if any of you stand in my way, you will meet the same fate."

"Oh, hell," I muttered, quickly flopping against the ground as a group of Equalists drew nearer. I cursed under my breath, dragging myself over to the closest lackey and ripping off his mask.

In the darkness provided by the shadows cast in the stands, I yanked on the mask, pulling it up to cover my nose and mouth before reaching for the glove. The group was almost on me when I stood slowly, slipping on the glove before panting heavily, as if I'd just managed to take down Lin and Tenzin after they'd put up a fight.

"What happened here?" The closest one asked when he noticed the downed Equalists, laying beside Tenzin and Chief Beifong.

"They must have seen us coming. Turned our ambush into their own and out up a hell of a fight," I answered, knocking my voice up a few octaves as I gestured to the people strewn around. "Only just managed to get the women out before you came over."

"Hmph. Good job," The man nodded in satisfaction after a moment, gesturing for his group to continue on. "Start the next phase of the plan."

"Of course, sir," I replied, bobbing my head slightly in a bow as he strutted away, his lackeys following along after. As soon as they were far enough away, I tugged off the mask, tossing it over the railing as well as the glove.

"Now to my followers; for years the Equalists have been forced to hide in the shadows, but now we have the numbers and strength to create a new Republic City," Amon continued, still standing in the middle of the arena platform. "I'm happy to tell you that the time for change has finally come. Very soon, the current tyrannical bending regime will be replaced by a fair-minded Equalists government. You and your children will no longer have to walk the streets afraid! It's time to take back out city."

I glanced over at Tenzin and Lin again, before switching to the downed Equalists. I moved forward, frisking through the closest lackey's pockets until I pulled out two bolas, shoving them into my own pocket.

"For centuries, benders have possessed an unnatural advantage over ordinary people. But thankfully, modern technology has provided us with a way to even the playing field," Amon still rambled on, and I forced myself to drown him out, focus on my task.

I spent the next minute or so dragging the unconscious Equalists over to the guard railing, leaning them up against it before tying them up with the bolas, ensuring they couldn't move and cause more trouble.

I stepped back to admire my handy work, ducking in surprise when the glass making the dome roof shattered and fell towards the stands like rain. I turned, sending a large burst of flame to intercept the falling shards, melting them down into a harmless state.

From the holes in the dome, ropes with platforms attached to the ends began to lower towards Amon's group. The platforms continued to lower, and the lackeys around the stands started to disappears into the back corridors, making an escape. When the platforms touched against the rink, Amon and his henchmen climbed onto them, waiting a few moments until they began to rise once again.

"No!" I hissed, as the platforms were lifted above the stands, nearing the roof. As Amon passed, I swear I could see the man's expression of smug victory below his mask, and that just pissed me off. I ignited fire in my palms, leaping onto the railing before springing off, using the fire like boosters to push me after the rising platforms. I shot upwards, angling myself to the closest one, bending fire to ignite at the souls of my boots also, freeing my hands to grab onto the base.

With fire still spewing out from my feet, I swung myself up, using my legs to knock the Equalist off and land precariously, grabbing onto the rope to steady myself. I'd barely managed to steady myself when an explosion rocked the arena, the rink going up in flames. I used my bending to shield myself for the heat, instead focusing on the platforms further above, which were exiting the hole in the roof.

I steeled myself and prepared to boost myself up again, when Korra went sailing past suddenly. I watched with wide eyes as she shot up to the higher platform, using a fire kick to send the Equalist Lieutenant falling from his platform and onto the roof. She used another kick and a second lackey fell from her now claimed platform, landing beside his Lieutenant.

My rope shot upwards suddenly, moving through the hole in glass and out into open sky. I caught a glimpse of the Lieutenant running for my platform, leaping from the edge of the hole and soaring towards me. His strength and speed were incredible, helping to get him above my platform as he grabbed onto the rope above my head. He brought a Kali stick down and struck out, managing to catch me on the forearm. Electricity shot through my body and I grunted, redirecting out into open sky until he pulled away.

"I swear to god, if I get electrocuted one more time..." I growled, grabbing onto the rope with both hands and hoisting myself up, bringing my legs around in an arc before kicking flames and him. The Lieutenant simply let go, falling for a moment before landing lightly on the platform, instantly finding his footing as he came at me again, pushing me back until my foot slipped over the edge. "Hell!"

I toppled backwards, managing to catch ahold of the Lieutenant's Kali stick and pull him of the platform as well. I flailed in the air, to panicked to try and thick of a way out. The glass roof was approaching fast, and I curled into a ball, preparing for the worst.

The impact came and took the breath out of me, my side slamming into the roof as pain flared almost instantly. I groaned, rolling onto my back and forcing myself to sit up, vision blurry and struggling to breathe.

I could just make out the figure of Korra as she fought against a black clad figure wielding twin sticks, the Lieutenant. I struggled to my feet, making forward when Korra kicked the Lieutenant in the chest, sending him stumbling backwards and off the edge of the roof, the soft splash of water the only indication of his survival.

She landed hard, the glass cracking beneath her. At the sound of breaking glass, my senses snapped back to normal, vision clearing, breath hitching and legs pumping forward. I made it to the new hole in the glass, where Korra had fallen through in mere seconds, barely hesitating as I dived down after her.

She was falling possibly 20 meters below me, flailing as she tried to slow her fall. I did the opposite. Tucking my arms to my side, I fell in a pin drop, gathering speed until I caught up to the Avatar, wrapping my arms around her.

There was a moment of blinding panic, when I realised I had no plan to stop the two of us. But that was sorted for me, when a cable wrapped around our waists and we were pulled to a jerked stop, hanging in midair before being slowly lowered to the stands. When our feet touched solid ground once again, I released my hold on Korra, keeling over and flopping onto my side, groaning in pain as she knelt beside me.

"Ken! Kenna, are you alright? Can you hear me?" She questioned in dismay, as she touched a hand to my arm.

"Bloody peachy," I grumbled back, moving an arm to press against my injured side. I took a moment to look myself over, noticing for the first time the numerous areas of blackened skin and the electrical burns. "Maybe not so good."

"Are you alright?" Lin asks as she lowered herself to stand beside the two of us, looking down at the relatively uninjured Avatar and my injured state.

"We're fine, thanks to you," Korra answered, appreciation in her voice as Lion helped her to her feet, throwing a concerned glance over her shoulder at me. I groaned again, forcing myself up and to my feet, giving Chief Beifong an exhausted smile.

"Don't mention it, kid," Lin replied, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder, nodding once in thanks. I nodded back, turning to look at the retreating airship with Amon on board. "Look like we lost this one."

I was suddenly enveloped in a bone crushing hug, yelping as rough cloth was grated against my burns. The person embracing me jumped back, rambling off a thousand apologies before hugging me again.

"Enough, Bo. Enough! That really hurts," I explained as he pulled away for the second time, again apologising profusely.

"I'm so glad you're both ok!" Mako explained once her released the embrace he'd had with Korra, turning to me with a relieved smile that dropped instantly. "Oh my god, Kenna, you look... terrible."

"I feel terrible," I whispered back, almost collapsing into the arms he offered, before jerking back with a hiss of pain.

"Come on, I can help with those burns," Korra said, gently taking my arm and leading me towards the locker room with the two boys walking on either side. There was a few moments of silence, before I opened my mouth to state the obvious.

"What a crappy night."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.5K 395 11
- 𝘞𝘈𝘙 𝘖𝘍 𝘏𝘌𝘈𝘙𝘛𝘚 - 𝗦𝗼𝗿𝗮 𝗧𝗮𝗸𝘀𝗵𝗶 has never had an easy life. Since she was born her life has been difficult. From the disappearanc...
22.9K 517 14
170 AG the year of change for two friends. It is finally time for the Avatar, Master of all four elements, to learn airbending. But before she can l...
175K 7.2K 67
A young girl gets told by a spirit that fate made a mistake and she was supposed to be born later. So she is turned into a spirit and told she can wa...
755 43 7
"Sometimes destiny's path leads us through betrayal and pain, but it's in the mending of our broken pieces that we discover our true strength" In a w...