Rivals | D.M

By arianatwycross

MATURE CONTENT Draco Malfoy despises anyone that is not pure. So when a half-blood rises up to his challenges... More

Author Disclosure
1. The Boy in Her Dreams
2. The Half-Blood Trio
3. Slytherin Bachelors
4. I'm a Slytherin
5. Butterscotch Pancakes
6. Handling the Heat
7. Compromising Positions
8. "ok"
9. Shattering Reality
10.
11. Fire Whiskey and inhibitions
12. A Drunk Congratulations
13. After
14. Peppermint & Green Apples
15. Sugar Quills
16. The Hickey
17. More than just a Hickey
18. The Alcove
19. The Empty Corridor
20. The Common Room
21. Slow Hands
22. 1:11am
23. The Unexpected Partner
25. The First Act
26. The Bathroom
27. The Second Act
28. The Come Down
29. Darling
30. The Desk
31. The Apple
32. Slytherin Vs Gryffindor
33. Bruises
34. The Library
35. Beffiting
36. Unwinding
37. The High
38. The Interruption
39. The Vague Confrontation
40. The Spoilt Potion
41. Going Home
42. The Ring
43. Broadstairs
44. The Dark Mark
45. The Tales of Beedle the Bard
46. The Malfoy Yule Ball
47. Naïve
48. Done For
49. The Calm
50. Before
51. Good Girl
52. The Storm
53. Back to School
54. Just a Migraine
55. Revealations
56. Room of Requirement
57. The White Shirt
58. She's no Angel
59. Liars
60. A Hogsmeade 'date'
61. In the Stacks
62. Jealousy
63. The Cursed Necklace
64. Yours
65. Be my Valentine
66. Bound
67. Goodbyes
68. The Lightening-Struck Tower
69. Darkness
70. Punishments
Epilogue
Sequel- Mercy
Update on Rivals & Mercy

24. The Shambles

34K 805 629
By arianatwycross

Aster's POV

Harper, Blaise and I end up spending our night knuckled down in the musty, warm library. It was a nice quiet, one that reminded me of my father's study at home. The rustling of the textbooks, the flicker of flames from the candles in the centre of the large desks. My father was a scholar, a philosophy researcher. He would forever spend his time studying various theories of magic, many times making a young Aster theorise with him, both of our heads in books and murmuring great declarations and hypothesis.

Once I hit thirteen, my interests started to drift from the academic world. I still prided myself on my studies and I normally came top in most of my classes but I didn't feel that spark of interest in theories and hypothesis anymore. I spent more of my free time with Harper, messing about in Hogsmeade, flirting with boys and girls and sneaking into 18+ concerts. I loved music, I wish the wizarding world embraced muggle music more. At home, our kitchen was always abuzz with music, my mother's favourites mixed with my own. Our father usually holed up in his study, his door shut firmly to keep the drifting notes from disturbing him.

My father always said I had more of my mother's qualities in me, something he had hoped for greatly.

I try to focus on my homework, my writing was starting to get sloppier by the letter, but I had that compelling pulse in my chest I experienced sometimes. It was the wish to be unconfined, mellow and tireless at the same time. I was starting to feel cooped up inside these thick stone walls, my only escape for weeks now had been with Draco, our stolen moments, our forbidden kisses. I needed something else this time.

Harper had her head bowed, her black hair waving at the sides of her cheeks as she scribbled.

"Hey Harper" I whispered across the table.

She holds her finger up and scribbles a few more sentences before she looks up. Her eyes look tired and wary.

"You wanna go see if anyone's playing down at The Shambles tonight?" I mutter, lifting up one eyebrow.

Her own eyebrows raise in curiosity but I see that gleam behind her dark eyes.

"Tonight?"

I nod, "Need to get out of here".

Blaise looks up now, boredom evident in his sharp features.

"We haven't been in a while," he adds.

I give him a malicious grin, grateful that Blaise is in a playful mood.

He rolls his eyes at me, but he smiles before he looks back at his textbook.

"I mean, I need to finish this first but I guess we could get out of here" Harper says, gesturing to her homework laid out in front of her.

"How about I help you?" I ask.

She nods, shuffling over so I can push my chair in next to her.

We all end up helping Harper finish her essay, me proofreading, Blaise flipping back and forth in the textbook. When Harper dots the last i, I twist my torso round to face them both.

"Who's ready to party?" I ask, giving them a huge grin.

Draco's POV

I was finally able to get some work done. I had been distracted by Aster these last few weeks and my school work had fallen off the radar. My father would be furious. Luckily I hadn't missed too much and with a free afternoon I was able to complete a few essays and readings. My eyes were heavy and dry, I could have easily fall asleep at at the table.

The great hall was starting to empty out, students were packing up their books and heading to their common rooms. It was a Friday night, so a few were still hovering out in the courtyard, shielding themselves from the cool air with their robes and scarves.

I saw Montague and Crabbe up ahead of me, talking to Pansy. I paused for a second, contemplating turning away and going another direction.

"Malfoy!" Montague calls out.

I sigh and stroll towards them, careful to not look at Pansy. I didn't want to deal with the awkwardness between us just yet.

"Parkinson was just telling us that a few of them were heading to The Shambles tonight, The Hobgoblins are playing tonight. You wanna come?" Montague asks.

I groan, running my hands through my hair contemplating.

"Whose going?" I ask. It would be nice to have a drink and get out of here but I was so tired.

"Blaise asked me, and I asked Montague, Crabbe and Goyle" Pansy chirps up.

I wipe my head towards her, hearing Blaise's name surprised me.

"Zabini?" I scoff.

"He's not that bad Malfoy. Just because he's a halfblood doesn't mean he's anything less" Pansy whines.

I look to Montague, surprised he was ok with this.

"Look mate I don't care who she hangs out with, we can still go" Montague grunts.

If Blaise is going, does that mean Aster would be there?

I could ask but that would look suspicious. The temptation to see Aster outside of school is too hard to resist.

"Ok I'll come" I mumble, "when are we going?" I ask.

"Let's me at the usual place in an hour" Montague answers.

I give him a nod, not bothering to look at Pansy and Crabbe and head back to my room.

Aster's POV

"You did what!?" Harper screams, her eyes blazing.

I, too am giving Blaise the best hostile look I can give him.

"I invited Pansy." Blaise mutters, trying to make himself busy as to avoid Harpers eyes.

"Why?" I demand.

"Well we were partnered for an assignment in Runes and we got talking and she's not that bad", Blaise mumbles.

"For fuck sake" Harper grumbles, her hands clenched in fists.

"And are we meeting her there or do we have the pleasure of escorting her too?" I ask.

Blaise finally looks up and gives me a tiresome look.

"We're meeting them there" he answers.

"Them?" I ask, my blood near to boiling point.

This time Blaise answers quietly, "I think Crabbe, Goyle, Montague and Malfoy are joining her".

My mouth goes dry.

"Seriously?" Harper grumbles. She slaps her compact mirror down and forgoes putting on lipstick, instead she impatiently shoves her makeup into her purse and storms off.

Blaise looks at me.

"Malfoy's going, I thought you would be pleased"

I give him another dirty look.

"Do you really think going out to a busy bar with his friends is going to make me pleased?!" I sign, "its not like I can talk to him with all his mates there".

Blaise grits his teeth.

"Yeah didn't think about that" he mumbles, looking in the direction that Harper walked in.

We end up meeting Harper on the fourth floor. She avoids looking at Blaise but I can tell she's slightly calmed down.

As were technically not allowed outside of Hogwarts after 8pm, our only way into Hogsmeade is a passage behind a mirror on the fourth floor. A tall stained mirror, one that many would ignore. Luckily no one travels through the corridor that the mirror is on, being a Friday night the classes are empty and most people are in the great hall or their common rooms. It's a sixth year rite to learn about this passage among Slytherins. I'm not quite sure if other houses know about it.

Harper mutters the unlocking spell, causing the mirror to swing open on a hinge. It's big enough that Harper and I can walk through side by side, leaving Blaise to trail behind us. The passage is hollowed out of stone so all I can hear is Harper's heels knocking against the stone floor.

She's opted for white jeans and a sequined crop top paired with her trusty nude pumps. A very classy look for Harper. I had gone for the complete opposite to her white angelic outfit. I had chosen my short black leather skirt, my long sleeved black crop top and my knee high leather boots. I had gotten Harper to curl my hair and she had helped me swipe some dark eyeshadow so that my green eyes popped amongst all the black.

I felt good tonight, and if Malfoy was going to be there...lets just say this would be fun. 

The passage ends at a small wooden door, we all have to crouch to crawl through it. It opens up into a small room with a table and chairs that looks neglected beyond repaired. The rumours were that this room used to hold secret society meetings but now it was only used as a walk through from the passage and into Hogsmeade. The room belonged to the back of a bed and breakfast. Luckily, the empty room's other door led out onto the streets and not into the bed and breakfast. We stumble our way through the dark and head to the busy streets. Hogsmeade was rather busy on Friday nights, the town was large enough however, that we hadn't bumped into any professors on our previous escapades.

We made our way down the cobbled streets and towards The Shambles. A large bar that hosted various bands and singers from the wizarding world.

"Did you bring your flask?" I asked Harper.

She pats her bag in response. I wiggle my own small flask placed conveniently at the top of my boot.

The line outside The Shambles wasn't too long but we didn't need to line up anyway. The bouncer, Sean nods us in as soon as we arrive. Harper's father was a god sent in Hogsmeade, he very conveniently owned shares in most of the bars and pubs around town. It was a shame her father was very against underage drinking. Harper and I could have definitely run this town into the ground otherwise.

The bar is heaving. I spy a few Hogwarts graduates at the bar and a few regulars pushing themselves towards the stage. Inside its humid and dark, the only bright lights coming from purple fluro signs that spell 'The Shambles' above the stage. The rest of the bar is lit up by whitelight, a dull white thrumming above the bar and alongside the edges of the room. It's large enough that you can easily lose your friends, which usually happens when you're friends with someone like Harper who likes to flirt with any handsome boy that enters the building.

We head towards the bar, nudging our way to the front. We order a few soft drinks, the bartender raises his eyes in recognition.

"Haven't seen you girls in a while" he yells over the throbbing bass of the music.

Harper winks at him before she hands over the money, and we make our way to our usual spot, a small leather booth at the right side of the stage. Perfectly placed so we can watch the act but still join in on the dancing. The small reserved holographic sign blinks out when we arrive, and a small pitcher of water pops up onto the table.

I look around, watching wizards and witches dancing to the support act. The Hobgoblins were a popular band, so the bar was filling up fast. I couldn't see Pansy anywhere, and a mix of disappointment and relief washed through me.

"Looks like your friend isn't here yet" I say loudly to Blaise. Harper sits on the other side of the booth, and I watch as she rolls her eyes at the mention of Pansy's name. The fact that Blaise asked Pansy out of all the girls in our year was a bold move on his part. He knew Harper despised her. Maybe it was a smart move? I begin the think that I don't give Blaise credit enough.

"I just mentioned it to her in passing, she said she would come but maybe something came up" he mutters, his eyes drifting to Harper. Harper ignores him and instead watches the crowd now forming at the base of the stage.

I slip my flask out of my boot and tip the strong liquor into my drink. The drink burns my throat but I welcome it gladly. The buzz of the music was already helping me relax and loosen up. I lean back on the cool leather and nod my head to the music.

"Your mates here" Blaise yells over the music.

I look up, puzzled.

Malfoy walks in, clad in all black. Behind him Pansy, Crabbe, Goyle and Montague walk in. He looks disinterested as he takes in the surroundings, but I watch as Pansy searches the crowd. Her eyes light up once they find Blaise and I have to stop myself from heaving. She catches up to Malfoy and points in our direction before she storms through the crowd, her shoulder length black hair swishing back and forth. She's wearing an obnoxiously tight green dress, and I can't help but snicker as she comes towards us.

Harper scoffs and I stifle another chuckle for Blaise's sake. 

I watch Malfoy behind her, still hovering by the door. The boys murmur something to him and before he turns towards the bar he looks over to our table. He keeps his manner neutral, but beyond those familiar eyes I can evidently see mischief brimming on the surface. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 113 17
If the world was a fair place, Harry Potter would never have come across a curious romance novel that seemed to depict the entirety of his past with...
3.9K 66 54
It's not exactly love at first sight when Lara meets the infamous Draco Malfoy. Lara was a new student at Hogwarts, fresh meat as he would like to sa...
30.7K 1K 33
~Complete~ Draco Malfoy was raised to live up to his father's expectation and pureblood standard. Malfoy has to keep the image for his family's name...
103K 9.5K 74
Two arrogant, stubborn and headstrong enemies who are the bane of each other's existence. So, what happens when the temperature rises? Does disdain u...