Bad [Harry Potter Fanfiction]...

By Emmalee_Sky

[Completed] (Fanfiction / Romance) Who's Bad? I'm Bad. * Five years ago, the Second War ended in the Wizardin... More

Bad
1 | A new case
2 | The Leaky Cauldron
3 | An answer to her prayers
4 | A break with friends
5 | New client
6 | Plagued by what ifs
7 | Pieces fall into place
8 | Today was the day
9 | Polyjuice Potion
10 | Not the Ministry
12 | Perfect Opportunity
13 | Anticipation
14 | Display of magic
15 | Fyrefox
16 | Do you understand?
17 | Whiplash
18 | The oddest feeling
19 | Another shot
20 | Parkinson Manor
21 | A few things to say.
22 | Priority
23 | Something has changed.
24 | Letters
Timing is everything.
25 | Dinner
26 | This was business.
27 | Cut out the competition
28 | We need a plan.
29 | Monkey Suit
30 | Promise me.
31 | Ready
32 | The Ball
33 | No man
34 | So much for exciting.
35 | The future together
36 | Handled
37 | Lure
38 | One option
39 | Aren't you forgetting something?
40 | Home
Epilogue | The future
Epilogue | It's time.
BAD Series
All in BAD Company
A Few BAD Men

11 | A priceless token

12.9K 321 30
By Emmalee_Sky

The lift opened, and the throng of witches and wizards waiting in the atrium forced Ginny to stop a few feet outside the doors. Her gaze jumped around the people, her grin growing. Time was ticking, and she skirted through the crowd towards the pedestal. Once there, she simply stared. This moment was a long time coming.

Brushing a lock of spelled black hair behind her ear, she took in the others waiting, shuffling together. Their gazes passed over her as they talked and waved and greeted and waited. She was nobody today, but tomorrow for the ball, she'd go as herself. It would be interesting to see the stir it caused. The thought brought a smile to her lips.

A flash of familiar blond hair passed a little away from her. Malfoy? That piqued her curiosity. What was he doing here? This wasn't his kind of thing.

It was a shame the Malfoys and Parkinsons weren't close anymore. Just her luck. Rumor was, after the Second War, they went their separate ways. That complicated things. But if they'd been the chummy dysfunctional family friends like before, there wouldn't be a job. So, she'd figure it out.

And once she got the Black Locket from Malfoy, and was paid handsomely for it, and completely this Ministry job, maybe it was time she went happily into early retirement. Find some way out there place in America or Asia or out in the deep country where no one ventured. Her smile grew. Yeah, that would be lovely.

A group of witches in front of her whispered back and forth.

"I can't wait to see the President!" A middle-aged witch giggled.

Ginny's eyebrows rose. She'd seen pictures of the man, he wasn't anything to giggle about.

"Do you think this is a good spot?" Another asked, stepping in her toes to see around a tall man in front of her.

Frowning, Ginny looked through the crowd to the pedestal. Maybe this wasn't the best spot. Maybe she should get closer.

"I don't think we can," another added. "I heard they added more security. We might just get a glimpse of him. I also heard that Harry Potter will be with him."

Ginny stiffened. More security and Harry Potter? Bloody hell. How'd he get involved in this?

"Harry Potter!" The first cried. "I've never seen him up close." And off they went talking about the man. It made her want to scream.

Instead, she looked towards the pedestal and the open area where the President and Minister would appear. Why double security?

It was probably best that she strengthen her glamour. It wasn't like she was going to steal the thing now. All she wanted was a peek today.

With everyone focused on one thing or another, Ginny looked down and tapped her wand to her face. Magic rose and melded her face. She clenched her jaw, waiting while it changed. It was over in two beats. Now, no one should recognize her.

Maybe she could chance getting closer. She inched passed a few more groups then came to a stop towards the corner of the space. She had an unobscured view of the pedestal. She grinned, heart speeding up. This was it. A first look at what would soon be hers! Merlin, she was excited.

She checked her watch. They should be arriving any minute. Looking around, she spotted the Patil twins, Oliver Wood, and a few others from her Hogwarts days.

Movement caught her eye and she stiffened when she spotted Neville heading her way. No! No one could know she was here! But then he turned a few feet before her, smiling. He kissed Hannah.

Ginny blinked. Sweet Merlin. She'd forgotten about the glamour. He was here with Hannah. Of course he was. She fought the soft laugh that wanted to escape. God, she was acting like such a novice.

A moment later, Luna came up behind him, followed by Rolf. They exchanged greetings, smiling and laughing, and Ginny felt an overwhelm pressure in her chest, but she pushed it aside and turned just in time to see Hermione walking through the crowd alone, heading straight for her area. People stopped and watched her, whispering and pointing, but she didn't pay them any attention. She stopped next to Ginny.

What were the chances? Ginny couldn't help but wonder. It was a good thing she wasn't planning on stealing the damn thing tonight. She shook her head, peeking at the brunette. Her newest sister-in-law. She'd missed the wedding, and as terrible as she felt about that, it was for the best. There'd been a time in her life where Hermione was the closest thing she had to a sister.

But that was then and this was now. Ginny didn't need a thing like family. She had Neville and Luna, her made-family, and she had her work. That was all she needed.

Ginny turned slightly away from Hermione but the other woman had other plans.

"This is such a great spot. I've been dying to get a glimpse of the President," she said, smiling. She looked at Ginny. "My husband has been teasing me nonstop."

Don't respond! Ignore her! She told herself, but she didn't want to draw more attention to herself. A short, mundane conversation would be a small blip in Hermione's mind. Being rude would be something she'd remember. So, instead she said, "The President is an important man."

"Yes," Hermione said. "What do you think it'll be?"

Ginny's gaze followed hers to the pedestal. "You don't know?" That surprised her. If anyone in the Ministry knew, it had to be Hermione, didn't it?

Hermione shot her a look. "Do you?" When Ginny shook her head, she added, "Why would I?"

Bloody hell. She cleared her throat. "I just heard Harry Potter was part of the detail. I thought he might've told you since he's your best friend." She sighed and shook her head. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean anything by that."

Hermione's dark eyebrows rose. "You know who I am?"

Ginny chuckled. "Everyone knows who you are. Hermione Granger."

"Granger-Weasley now," she said and shook her head. She brushed a lock of hair behind her ear. "No, I'm sorry. I forget myself sometimes."

"It's alright," Ginny said, turning back to the pedestal. Best to cut that conversation short before things got-

"And you are?" Hermione asked.

The groan was on the tip of Ginny's tongue. This was veering into dangerous territory. She shouldn't be chitchatting with Hermione of all people. Dammit.

"Nadia Hydan," she said. One the names she used when sporting this glamour. Nadia worked in the owl room at the Daily Prophet for the past three years. A hard and dedicated worker, who took care of the owls and helped distributed the packages outgoing and incoming. Maybe if she was lucky, this month she'd get a raise.

Hermione smiled and shook her hand. "It's nice to meet you, Nadia."

"Likewise," Ginny said. All the lies were heavy on the her tongue but she brushed it aside as a commotion started on the other side of the atrium and Potter, Ron, and another man stepped forward.

It was time. Her heart leapt.

Then she recognized the man with them. The one who spoke to her earlier when she was Harry. What a small world. "Who's that man with Harry Potter and your husband?"

"That's Jackson Sharp. He's an Auror." Hermione watched them. "Here comes Minister Shacklebolt and the President." The Minister And the President came next followed by another man. She didn't recognize him. Must be the President's man.

"The moment of truth," Ginny whispered.

"What was that?" Hermione asked, looking over.

"Oh, nothing." She smiled. She pointed at the group. "There's the President."

Hermione nodded. "That's him. He's certainly-" and on she went about the man, but Ginny's attention was on the group, waiting and ready. And that's when she noticed it. Potter, Ron, and Jackson Sharp we're searching the crowd. Did they think there was a threat on the President? Were there threats?

Or maybe...

A shock shot through her. Did they know something about her? But how? She looked around but no one was looking at her. Damn, just reveal the artifact already so she could get out of there.

"Welcome!" The Minister took a few steps forward, his wand to his throat. He smiled when the atrium fell silent, only filled by the audible flashes of the press. "Today is a new day. Allow me to introduce the President of the Magical Congress of the United States of America, Mr. Samuel Quahog." The man stepped forward, and the crowd applauded. "President Quahog And I have decided to take the necessary steps to bring our two magical communities closer and strengthen the alliance that began ages ago.

"In the future, we plan to have more instances of our unity, one including activities between our schools, Hogwarts and Ilvermorny."

More applause.

"But to start it off, we'll be hosting a ball tomorrow evening here at the Ministry in ballroom seven for the visiting members and our community."

He needed to get the quaffle rolling, Ginny thought. The idea of the two communities coming together meant nothing to her, all she cared about was the embarrassment the Ministry would feel, and if the alliance unraveled because of it, that was that. Their problem. She'd be long gone.

"This is a new beginning," Hermione said. "Such a great way to share joy with the community."

"Definitely." Ginny nodded.

The President walked over to the Minister. He grinned, searching the crowd. He probably was an Auror before taking the Presidency. It was there in the set of his shoulders, hands clasped behind his back. He was prepared for whatever came. His gaze fell on his security detail, where Potter, Ron, and Jackson Sharp stood with the other man. Their eyes stayed on the crowd, wandering.

They knew but they thought she would act now. Huh.

How did they even know in the first place? How was that possible? She hadn't told a soul.

"Good afternoon," the President started. She looked up. "It's a pleasure to be here. I look forward to both of our governments working together to do wondrous things." He nodded when the crowd applauded again.

She rolled her eyes. What a load of political nonsense. But she straightened when he stepped behind the pedestal and smiled widely. Her heart sped up. Yes, finally!

"Our two great countries have suffered dark days. We lived through morose times." He looked down at the beige pedestal then back up. "But finally, one day, we prevailed, passed through and turned out stronger than ever. Now, our countries, covered with their own scars and dark times, can come together and bind our alliance with a token that will forever show that we are united in the future. Proudly."

The applause was deafening. The President and Minister shook hands the. Held still for a moment, cameras flashing around the atrium. The President's words rang true through the crowd and into their hearts. Ginny has to admit the man had a way with words, simple, to the point, and with that no-nonsense demeanor, it worked for him. She, in some way, could see his appeal. Too bad the people would be devastated when the "token of unity" was stolen from right under their noses.

"Thank you, President Quahog. Your words mean more than you know," the Minister said.

The President nodded. "Now, for that token." He gestured for his Auror. The man stepped over, tall, short dark hair, tanned skin, and a light beard. Attractive, but that grin on his lips spelled trouble. She could feel the masses of witches appreciate him as he came to stand by the President.

"The box, Jack," the President said.

"Yes, Mr. President." The Auror reaches into his suit jacket and pulled out a tiny box, about an inch long and wide. He handed it over.

"Thank you." The President held the box in the palm of his hand while the Auror stepped back then he waved his wand over it. The air shimmered, and the box rose. It grew to two feet by two feet.

Ginny's body hummed with excitement.

"I wonder what it is," Hermione whispered.

"Me too," Ginny said.

The President lifted the lid and stared into the box. The crowd was silent. He sighed without looking up. "When I first became president, my predecessor wasn't... the right fit for the position. Fear and hatred and anger filled the office, and when I arrived, I stepped head first into a mire of disaster. One I've spent years trying to rectify. It's hardly perfect, but I've accomplished more than any other President has in quite some time."

The crowd was riveted.

He continued. "Many years ago, a friend of mine was traveling in the mountains of Trivatora, a magical area in the wilderness of Maine. He came upon a dying creature, the head of its herd. He tried everything in his power to save the animal but it was beyond human means. While it died, animal and man became friends. And just before its death, as a token of its appreciation, the creature gifted my friend with this artifact. In remembrance, my friend encased it in gold and later gave it to me when I came into office as a sign that two different parties can come together to do great things, to be more. The creature and himself. The government and myself." He looked up with a soft look on his face, and Ginny believed it, believed every word he said.

Her hands clenched into fists.

"And now, our two communities." The President pulled the artifact out, and the crowd gasped.

It was hauntingly beautiful. A unicorn horn encased in gold.

The President held it in his hands. It glowed in the light, and though such things shouldn't be trapped in such a way, it was perfection.

Ginny just had to have it.

President Quahog present the Golden Unicorn Horn to the Minister. "It's not gems or rich in history, but it's important to me, and something I would like to share with all of you." He laid it on the Minister's hands.

The atrium was quiet as the Minister looked at the artifact. He smiled. "Then it's a priceless token that bring us together and will be remembered as the beginning of a renewed union."

The crowd applauded and cheered, but Ginny hardly noticed. Her attention was entirely on the artifact. The Golden Unicorn Horn. It was perfect and tomorrow would be all hers. With a smile, she turned and left the atrium and then the Ministry. She'd seen what she needed to, and now it was time to get to work.

*
And there's the big reveal! Not super flashy or expensive or anything like that. The importance is in what it means to the President. Kingsley is right. Priceless. Anyway, thoughts on this chapter? Also, I'm sorry it's so late. I've been sick and the internet is out in my house so I've been editing this in my phone which is hard! Please send me good and happy vibes! Anyway, hope you enjoyed this chapter and thank you as always for your support! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

310K 12K 38
An 8th year Drarry fic where Harry barely speaks anymore, but Draco doesn't need words to understand him. After spending the summer together and beg...
570K 16.5K 22
On a fateful mission gone wrong, Auror Draco Malfoy gets mauled by a werewolf in an attempt to save his partner's life. When they rush him into St. M...
982 43 13
Harry returns for his final year of Hogwarts, much to his dismay. Ron and Hermione at his side, things have changed and not many people know how to d...
83.9K 1K 66
Being an apprentice, no one said it was easy. But it was her only solace. Her only reminder that she could be more than a puppet to the Heir of Slyth...