How to Date an Asshole

By AlanisKorali

Like most people, Lauren had a big crush on a celebrity when she was a teenager. Unlike most people, she met... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Epilogue

Chapter 12

8.8K 384 17
By AlanisKorali

Chapter 12

I  have to admit it was such a relief that tickets were available even though we only walked in. It would've been such a shame to travel this far only to be denied of entrance.

There were several vegetables on repurposed wooden pallets near the gates –  mostly pumpkin in different sizes with colors varying from dark green to the brightest orange.

From a distance, I can see that there were a pretty good number of people inside the farm. Most were middle-aged couples with little kids and babies. I think it's good that there were no young adults on sight.  Well, except for the woman at the ticket booth. It was kind of peculiar,  if I say so myself, that she didn't seem to recognize Axel because she looks younger than us – around the age of Axel's fanbase. But I guess we're just lucky enough that she didn't recognize him because the last thing I want is for people to put me in the spotlight for being with Axel; I might not say it often but I actually like my normal life.

She taught us how to properly turn an apple when picking. Apparently, it's to protect and preserve the trees' health so it can keep on bearing. She even demonstrated on an already-picked apple how to handle it then twist to the left. And actually, had us recite "Twist to the left, never pull off branches and leaves"  three times before letting us in – pretty annoying if you ask me. Like yeah, I know you're just doing your job but I get it, I'm not stupid.

We were told that the apples near the entrance weren't ripe yet and that we had to get on a hayride to get to the main apple picking area so we decided to check out the barn first for their little petting zoo.

Axel continued on taking his shots as we go; he took a photo of a little bit of everything we see – the rustic doorknob of the faded blue door, the stack of hays, the skies, the tickets on our wrists, the sunflowers... Name it, he might have already taken a picture of it. Too much for his so-called "evidence", if you ask me.

When we got to the big red barn, Axel lowered his camera and put on his sunglasses.

"Wow, just when we're in the shade," I said sarcastically.

He shook his head, "We're no longer on the open field. People are now in closer proximity and I don't want them to recognize me and ruin our date." he explained.

"Okay," I said then proceeded to go near a pony. 

He jogged after me. "That's it?" he asked.

"That's what?"

"You're just letting me off the hook like that?"

"Like what?" I squatted to meet the pony's height and pet its mane.

"Okay?"

I stopped petting the pony and stood to face him. "Yeah, well, I don't want them to see you either." His brows raised then he smirked. "What? Stop looking at me like that." I swatted his chest lightly. "I just don't want them flocking around me, asking me to take a picture of them with you," I added. He just smiled at me. I shook my head, "You're impossible." I said then went back on petting the pony.

The ponies and some horses are inside the barn. The doors are open at both ends and the other end leads to farm animals in fences.

Axel squatted next to me. "Hey, cutie," he said as he petted the pony.

I  looked at him, he looked like a little boy intently giving the pony all his attention. I can't help but smile then looked back at the pony and continued to pet its mane.

*       *      *

After we're done with the petting zoo, we walked back near the entrance where the refreshments stood. We got sparkling apple ciders. 

My relationship with alcohol wasn't the best so I don't particularly trust myself around it and especially now that I'm also around Axel. We all know how that ended up last time.

I took a pretty big gulp. God, I'm parched. I saw on my periphery that Axel's staring at me in awe.

I downed the cider in one sitting. "What?" I asked wiping my mouth using the jacket sleeve on the back of my hand. 

"Nothing," he smirked. "Great gulp," he added with a naughty glint in his eyes.

"Excuse me?!" my eyes widened.

He simply dismissed my rhetorical question and said, "Come, let's go apple picking."

He smiled in satisfaction as he walked ahead of me to the hayride. I followed grudgingly.

There were baskets near the hayride with a signage 'Basket Station' next to a couple of pumpkins placed over haystacks. We grabbed a basket each.

"Wait,  are really going to get a basket each? I mean I can't eat all of them, I  live alone." I said. "Look, why don't we just get one basket then we'll  split the apples later."

"Alright then. But on one condition."

"Why does it always have to have a condition with you?" I replied exasperatedly.

"I'll hold the basket," he said.

"That's it?" I asked incredulously. He nodded.

"Oh, okay. Works for me." I said then put my basket back on the stack.

Their hayride looks like a small train. We got in the last cart with Axel sitting opposite of me. He wore his sunglasses again and lowered his head.

I  grabbed the sunglasses off of him. "Oh, come on, we're on the cart and you're not facing anybody but me," I said then put his sunglasses on. He looked like a lost boy as he unconsciously pouted. I grinned widely.

The wind picked up because we started moving. I enjoyed the wind in my hair as I felt my lungs expand from breathing in the fresh air. It really has been a while since I've been out of the city. I looked around the massive land of the orchard. There was a corn maze on the far right and a  huge mass of pumpkin patch. Must cost a fortune to pay for its upkeep. 

My thoughts were stopped by a click.

"Axel!" I warned.

"Hey, lower your voice," he warned in a low voice.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. "And stop taking pictures of me." I hissed.

He just took another photo, blatantly ignoring my wishes.

I rolled my eyes and let him be.

The hayride came to a stop.

"We're at the apple picking area. You have an hour to pick apples before we go back." the operator announced.

I  raised Axel's sunglasses over my head and wore it like a headband as we went down the cart and walked into the orchard. The apple trees were small and lined up like a vineyard. There were several aisles and the big trees were at the end on top of a small hill. The fields of grass were all so green but the leaves on the apple trees were starting to turn yellow. There was a trail on the grass near the trees where people have obviously walked on. I can't hide my excitement and it also didn't help that the smell of burning apple with a hint of cinnamon was wafting in the air even from a considerable distance. It smells so good and I hope they're selling those apple pies they were obviously making.

Axel walked next to me with the basket on his right arm, still taking photos of the apples.

"We're supposed to pick apples, Axel, not take pictures of them," I said placing the apple I just picked on the basket.

He just took a picture of me.

"Oh, stop!" I said covering the camera's lens which he protectively held back from me, his laugh echoing in my ears.

"Okay, I'll stop now, I'll pick apples," he said then let the camera rest, hanging from his neck.

We spent our time picking the apples. We went to different aisles because each aisle has a specific specie of apple. Our basket is now 3 quarters full but my legs were starting to give up. I underestimated the size of this orchard or I overestimated my energy, maybe both.

The aisle we're on right now has a Pumpkin patch in the middle. The pumpkins were all big and bright orange.

"Pose by the pumpkin," Axel said.

"No, I'd rather sit." I pouted and sat next to a big pumpkin, pressing on my legs for comfort.

"Well then look here."

I looked at him with a blank face. I heard the shutter click.

"Oh, come on, smile." he pleaded.

"Hmm... I would... if you'd let me take a picture of you."

He looked at his camera then shook his head with a grin. "You drive a hard bargain but okay."

"Alright!" I said excitedly.

He placed the basket of apples next to me and I  touched the pumpkin with both hands like I was presenting it and smiled for the camera. He was supposed to only take one picture but he continued on taking shots. 

I stood, "Hey, enough!"

He kept on taking shots, I tried covering the lens but he's fast.

"My turn! Give me the camera." I said reaching for the camera but he keeps on dodging away from me.

"Nope," he said with a grin then ran.

"Hey, you said..." I grumbled then ran after him, leaving the basket of apples next to a pumpkin.

He settled under a big tree over the small hill and continued on taking pictures of me while I ran. How did he get there so fast? I ran faster to get to him quicker. I need to get that camera.

When  I got to him, he held the camera over his head, knowing all too well that he's a lot taller than me. I determinedly reached for it, jumping,  but my reach always fell short. I looked at him furiously, he just laughed at my futile attempts.

We were like that for a while until my hands finally reached the camera. 

"Gotcha!" I said then I noticed that Axel stopped laughing and he looked like he saw a ghost.

I  was about to look where he was looking when his eyes widened and he abruptly pulled me in for a hug, holding me tight to his chest. I can smell his cashmere scented perfume.

"What are you doing?" I tried to wiggle out of his grasp.

"Don't move. They found us."

I froze. "What? Who?" I began to protest, looking up at him. He held me tighter.

"Keep your head down. The paparazzi are here," he said leaning closer to my ear.

My heart began thumping loud in my chest. I hope he doesn't feel it. I  instantly felt nauseous, I don't want to be known by the public; my life would never go back to normal when they found out I was with Axel  James.

"B-but how?" I stuttered. "What will we do?" I added, thumping my forehead on his chest.

He sighed. "Just hug me for a while."

I  hesitantly wrapped my arms around him, the camera still on my right hand. I moved my face towards him so the paparazzi couldn't see my face even from a  different angle. He looked at my eyes but I looked down, averting his gaze. I don't want him to see how nervous and scared I am.

I  tried to think of a way to escape this but I haven't really had any experience with the paparazzi before – I can't even believe that I'm having a paparazzi problem, to begin with. I could just imagine the lengths the entertainment news would be willing to do just to have a cover story twisted off of a couple of suspicious pictures - all the possible rumors they can start off of a measly hug is enough to make my head spin. How can  Axel endure this kind of torture?

My thoughts were stopped when I felt a droplet of water drop on the back of my head.

I snorted, in an attempt to mask my fears, "What? Are you crying now?" my voice muffled by his chest.

"What? No. Why would I?" he said as if it's the most ridiculous thing in the world.

Then the 'tear' fell on the back of my hand.

"Wait, you're not crying. It's starting to rain." I said alarmed. "Great, we're in the middle of an orchard, with paparazzi on our backs. How are we supposed to go back?"

He loosened his grip on me and looked at my eyes. "We can do this," he said then he started to remove his coat.

"What are you doing?"

"Put the camera inside your jacket." he reached for the camera on my hand and put it over my head. I closed my jacket's buttons, guarding the camera against the drizzles.

"Put the sunglasses on, keep your head down, stick with me and just trust me, okay?" he added.

I'm still hesitant about his plan but when I looked at his eyes, they were pleading. Now isn't the time for games.

"Okay." I nodded then removed the sunglasses from my head and put it on.

The rain started to pick up.

Axel glanced over my shoulder. "Let's wait 'till they're gone," he said.

He put his left arm over my shoulder and moved his coat over our heads.

"What are you planning to do?" I asked.

"Just follow what I say." he glanced back to check on the paparazzi. "Okay, they're gone. Ready?" he asked. I nodded.

"Run."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

853K 19.7K 80
"You don't like it rough?" he asks me. Oh, okay, I smirk back at him, two can play this game. "I like it... but only during sex, " I say to him wat...
3.9K 160 9
Count to three. Do not kill your boss. And do not fall in love with him. That's a good start, especially when you work for New York's most eligible b...
44.5K 1.6K 42
MATURE CONTENT 18+ "Relax, sweetheart. I'll take it slow for your first time." He's a one-night-stand gone wrong, and the one man she never wants t...
729K 22.9K 42
แ—ฏแ•ผแ—ฉT'ี แ—ฐแ—ดแ—ฉแ‘ŽT TO แ—ทแ—ด แ—ฉแ’ชแ—ฏแ—ฉYี แ–ดIแ‘Žแ—ชี IT'ี แ—ฏแ—ฉY. Mature themes and strong usage of language Rank #2 Mature ( 02.11.2020) #2 Billionaire ( 06.1.2021 ) #1 o...