Running For Miles | ✓

By Gemma_Grace_

Eden Rivers is the new girl, she transferred from Pennsylvania in the middle of the year, on the run from an... More

Running For Miles
Characters
Prologue
01 ➳ Meeting Lila
02 ➳ New Girl
03 ➳ My Personal Bully
04 ➳ Your Fly's Undone
05 ➳ Tater Tots
06 ➳ Emotionless Player
07 ➳ Are You Stoned?
08 ➳ Few Screws Lose
09 ➳ You're All Pathetic
10 ➳ Loneliness And Anxiety
11 ➳ It's A Drug Thing
12 ➳ Lila Fucking Hayes
13 ➳ Jump Off Of A Cliff
14 ➳ I'm Just Fucked Up
15 ➳ Drugs Are Bad
16 ➳ Rich People
17 ➳ My Old Friend Molly
18 ➳ In A Friend Way
19 ➳ Lila's Almost Doppelganger
20 ➳ As In Lakyn Westbrook?
21 ➳ Option Two
22 ➳ The Comedown
23 ➳ The Party
24 ➳ The Rooftop
25 ➳ Arden Roson
26 ➳ Sorry Dad
27 ➳ New Haven
28 ➳ Pinky Promise
29 ➳ Trauma
30 ➳ I Love You Too
31 ➳ Hard, Meaningless, Sex
32 ➳ Kian Karrington
33 ➳ I Don't Do Relationships
34 ➳ This Taste's Like Shit
35 ➳ Feelings Are Overrated
36 ➳ Eden Likes Hale?
37 ➳ Until Lila Hayes
38 ➳ Baby Steps
39 ➳ You Looked Pretty Too
40 ➳ Until Miles Hale
41 ➳ Four Different Blood Types
42 ➳ Suck Him Off
43 ➳ Enemies With Benefits
44 ➳ I Love You
45 ➳ Lila's Story
46 ➳ Beautiful Ghost
47 ➳ Boys Can Cry Too
48 ➳ He's Broken
49 ➳ That Wasnt Sex
50 ➳ Bye Mom
51 ➳ Found You
52 ➳ Bit Fuckin' Weird
53 ➳ The Kian Thing
54 ➳ Forever And Always
55 ➳ I Would Punch Hale
57 ➳ Forever And Ever
58 ➳ Incest
59 ➳ Goodbye
60 ➳ Truman, Kian and Blaire
61 ➳ Lakyn or Boston
62 ➳ Let's Play A Game
63 ➳ I Killed Arden Rosen
64 ➳ They Will Never Find Him
65 ➳ Get Off Me
66 ➳ Blood, Tears, And Heartbreak
67 ➳ I Deserved Hale
68 ➳ What Did You Do?
69 ➳ Beautiful and Damaged
70 ➳ It's Just Us Now
Epilogue

56 ➳ Are You Two Fucking High?

5.5K 143 262
By Gemma_Grace_

RUNNING

FOR MILES

This morning was crazy, crazy good.

I was awoken by Hale showering my face in kisses as he pulled me into him where he hugged the life out of me as he chanted happy birthday close to a million times. When he had finally let me go, he insisted that I needed to go downstairs and that Lila and Lakyn had some surprises for me.

When I had pretty much ran down the stairs as I was overly excited to see my friends and to see what they had got me, even though presents aren't a big deal to me because I've never really been given presents on my birthday in years.

Once I was downstairs, I was met with my two best friends, while Hale closely followed me down the stairs. Lila had engulfed me into a tight hug while Lakyn just smiled said happy birthday. They then reached for an oddly wrapped present.

I thanked them straight away and yanked the wrapping off, which then revealed a longboard, it was half marbled and then on the other side it was a polished wooden finish, the wooden finish was the exact same on the bottom of the board, while the wheels were slightly marbled but mainly black.

The longboard was so much nicer than my old skateboard as I had pretty much had that old thing for years. I haven't been able to skateboard the last few months all thanks to Hale, one day he thought that he would try and impress me with some dumb trick he supposedly knew but instead when he attempted the trick, he had snapped it clean in half.

Lila then handed me another present it was small, it was somewhat thin but it had a little weight to it. I tore off the gold and white striped wrapping paper which fell to the floor. Underneath the pretty paper was a photo frame.

The photo instantly bought a smile onto my face as we had taken it when we had been New Haven last. Hale decided to put his phone in a tree and on a timer so that we could all be in the photo together; we were all too scared to ask one of the many other beachgoers if they could take it.

I remember it like it was yesterday. Hale had then started to run backward, but instead, he stumbled back into me, pretty much pulling me down with him as Lila stood next to me where she laughed down at us while trying to catch me and not let me fall, but the best part was Lakyn. He just stood there with a glum and grumpy face as he was the only one looking into the camera.

Shaking my head, I laughed as I pulled both Lakyn and Lila in for a hug, Lila was the only one to hug me as Lakyn quickly wriggled out of my arms. Lakyn isn't a hugger unless it's Lila of course.

Then I was also gifted a rectangular box, which had been spray-painted black, I thank Lakyn as he had handed it to me, he made sure to quickly add that Lila had picked out whatever was in the box. I rolled my eyes playfully as I mouth a thank you to my pretty blonde best friend.

Inside the box was a black pair of converses, I tried not to scream as I put down the box and let a thousand 'thank yous' out which pretty much morphed themselves into three 'thanks yous'. It was the perfect gift as my converse were so beaten up it wasn't funny anymore.

After thanking them all another few times as I was so grateful for their gifts and well for them in general as today has already been the best birthday I have ever had in a long time and it was all thanks to them. Who knew that moving away from an abusive person could result in finding the most wonderful two best friends and the most perfect boyfriend I could have ever asked for?

We all chilled for a few hours, we were all now sitting in the living room on the sofa. The large glass doors were open, which gave us a clear view of the beach and the soft sunset which was slowly started to appear in the sky.

"Thank you, guys, for this weekend." I spoke up from the couch next to Hale, a wide smile on my lips. "It's been the best. I'm so lucky to have you three." I concluded truthfully.

An equally wide smile appeared on each of their lips as I listened to the soft crashing of the waves there were only a few meters away, "Of course." Lila replied happily. "We're family."

What Lila had stated couldn't be true, whether we liked it or not we were each other's family. We've all pretty much came from broken homes; we all have our issues but its what's made us fix and help each other. Its what's helped us all connect to each other; it's fucked up but It's kind of makes you not feel alone as you have others that can relate to your own fucked up trauma.

I feel like when people have depression or other mental illnesses, they forget that there heaps and heaps of other people either around them or around the world that are experiencing the exact same pain that they are.

This then results in them forgetting that they are not actually they don't realize that than which then makes them feel alone and as if they are going through these things all by themselves, which isn't the case at all. The sad reality of them believing that they are alone then drives them to do harmful things an even suicide.

Even though someone may feel alone you are never ever alone. There will always be at least one or two people that would sit with you and talk you out of suicide. There will always be a few people that would care or not be able to keep going through life without you.

"We need more beer." Lakyn stated out of nowhere.

All four of us had spoken earlier about what our plans for tonight were going to be. I had stated that I wanted or would like to go out for dinner, I kind of wanted Lila to do my make-up and to dress up with me, just this once. My request was my only request for tonight, the boys had said that it was a little boring and had suggested that we get some alcohol and loosen up a bit.

I didn't really want to do it but I wasn't going to be a fun sponge and suck up all their happiness and excitement so I hadn't objected to the idea and maybe it could be something fun to do as Lila and I never really drink.

Quickly I stood up as I wanted to get out of this house and go on a miniature adventure around New Haven, "I'll come with you."

Lakyn glared at her. "As if I'm bringing you to get beer." he scoffed. "You look twelve."

His words didn't catch me by surprise as I was all too familiar with Lakyn and his rudeness, "Obviously." I stated as he wasn't that wrong, I was nowhere near looking twenty-one, "I'll just wait in the car." I stated as I narrowed my green eyes over to him.

Lakyn mumbled something to Lila once she had stood up from his lap, he then looked over at me as I waited for him patiently and excitedly, "And I don't give a fuck if it's your birthday, if you're annoying then I'll leave you behind."

I rolled my eyes as I quickly bounced after him as I didn't want him to leave me alone as I knew all too well if I didn't get into Hale's truck with him, he would without a doubt leave me behind. Lake grabbed the keys that were hanging on a hook near the door as he opened the door and made his way to the Hales truck.

Darting out the door and shutting it quickly behind me as I made my way swiftly to the passenger side door. As I jumped in Lakyn bought the car to life and sped off quickly which made me smack back into the seat.

We sat in a comfortable silence, the windows were down and the radio played softly in the background as Lakyn navigated the way to the small liquor store that he remembered going past a few days ago when we were going to the BnB.

I made sure to have the directions in my phone just in case he somehow got lost but I trusted that Lakyn knew the way and even if he didn't, we would stumble upon it sooner or later as this town is only small.

Within ten maybe fifteen minutes Lakyn had successfully found the liquor store without google maps or getting angry and stressed about it. He parked in one of the free parking spots and shut off the engine, he then grabbed his wallet and got out of the truck.

He was about to walk off but he quickly turned and looked at me through the window which was down all the way, "You want anything? He asked as he lightly tapped his foot on the concrete.

"Maybe a bottle of vodka?" I asked not really sure on what to drink, "and something to mix it with." I added as he nodded and disappeared into the shop.

In my head, I begged that I would have been more specific with what type of mixer I wanted him to get as I will cry if he gets orange juice. Words can't explain how much I hate orange juice, even without the pulp. I just find the taste utterly disgusting and unpleasant.

My phoned dinged from on my lap causing me to snap out of my thoughts and reached for it. I gazed over the notification that had popped up onto my lock screen which had slightly blocked the photo I had set for it which was of Hale and I wearing face masks in his bed the other night.

UNKNOWN NUMBER (5:00 pm)

Happy birthday x

I screwed my face up in confusion as I had no idea who the mystery person was. It couldn't have been Truman as he had already wished me a happy birthday this morning, so did my father and Sammy, so there wasn't really anyone else I could think of who would text me.

Straight away I ruled a lot of people out as my phone number isn't something, I give out to everyone, only to people I trust, like my very small group of friends and even smaller family.

I couldn't help but wish it was my mother, I wanted it to be her even though she is dead and has never once wished me a happy birthday since the day she had chosen her dimwitted boyfriend and drugs over me.

EDEN (5:05 pm)

Thanks. Who is this?

UNKNOWN NUMBER (5:06)

Take a guess

I tapped my chin as I again tried to sift through possible people that it could be but I came up empty until a name popped into my head.

EDEN (5:08)

Hanna?

For the last few months, I haven't heard from Hanna, not once. It was all because of when she was asking me for my address, something that I don't tell anyone as I don't want it to somehow get to Boston as that would be a total and utter disaster but I guess now it doesn't matter as somehow, he had managed to locate me.

I miss Hanna, I miss talking to her every few weeks and getting all the scoop on what is happening back at Green Meadow, how she is, and what she has been up to. I didn't care what we talked about as anything was better than nothing at all.

If this answer was wrong then I have absolutely no idea who this mystery person is.

UNKNOWN NUMBER (5:09)

Wrong Darlin

The hairs on my arms and neck stood up pretty much instantly when I read over the word 'Darlin'. There is only one person that has ever called me that nickname. This person has managed to haunt me, it used to be just my dreams but now he has even managed to haunt me at the halls of school.

EDEN (5:11)

Boston. How the hell did you get my number?

My mind raced, it was unable to figure out how he could have possibly got my number but yet again I still had the same question about how he had found out where I had run away too. I thought that I was careful, I thought that he would never be able to find me.

I am so incredibly stupid for ever thinking that I would be able to escape from him. I am incredibly stupid for ever thinking that my life would go back to normal. I was incredibly stupid for ever thinking I would be safe again.

BOSTON (5:13)

You need to rethink who you let close to you darling, not everyone is who they say they are

"Uhh." I grumbled out as I chucked my phone down onto the floor where my feet were, "Why me." I whisper yelled as I put my head into my hands.

The sound of the back truck door opening made me quickly lift my head up as I was met with Lakyn who lifted a twenty pack of beer, a brown paper bag that most likely had the vodka bottle in it, and a big bottle of coca-cola.

"Who the fuck are you talking too?" Lakyn asked harshly as he slammed the back door and opened the driver's side door as he then bought the truck back to life.

My eyes widened briefly as I chewed my nails nervously, "No one." I said quickly hoping that he wouldn't keep asking about me talking to myself.

"I wasn't kidding when I said I would leave you here if you were weird." he stated as he smirked over at me, "Now why the fuck were you talking to yourself?" he questioned with a smug look.

What was I going to tell him?

There was no way I could tell him that my abusive ex-boyfriend was in fact the kid at school and he now knows pretty much everything there is to know about me, especially my private details like my number, most likely my home address.

Oh, and I can't forget the fact that he is going to make me break up with my boyfriend, make my friends hate me, and then ship me back to Pennsylvania when school is over?

"Fine, you caught me I was." I gave in, "I'm just stressed and nervous about leaving school." I half lied.

Lakyn hummed, "I know the feeling." he said as he stopped at a red light, "We're just getting left behind." he sighed as he tapped his thumb on the steering wheel.

My heart broke as it was somewhat true, we were being left behind. Lila's going to London to pursue her beloved dream of being a fashion designer and hale is going to travel the world for a while. But I too am going to be leaving him, we'll all of them to be exact, but there's no way I'm going to tell him that, not now anyway.

"At least I'll be here." I lied as he shot off from the lights.

Lake rolled his eyes, "Fuck me it's going to be a long few months stuck with you."

I scoffed as I nudged him playfully, "Oh don't be like that, if I were to leave you would miss me."

He looked over at me with a smirk, "Maybe just a little."

After about five minutes Lakyn pulled into the driveway of our holiday house, we both jumped out, I made sure to grab my phone off of the ground as I then made my way to the backseat of the truck and grabbed the brown paper bag and the bottle of cola.

I followed Lakyn into the house as he carried the heavy carton of beers into the kitchen, I placed the two drinks in my hands right next to where Lake had put down the beer. We then walked into the living room where Lila and hale still sat on the two chairs.

"That was fun." Lakyn stated sarcastically as he made his way straight over towards Lila.

I plopped myself down on the sofa next to Lakyn, "Your boyfriend is rude." I stated, pointing over to the boy who sat next to me.

Lila laughed. "He is many things."

For a second, I caught myself looking up at Hale. How can someone be so perfect? Never would I have ever thought I would be able to meet such a beautiful human being. Someone who actually cares about how I feel, he takes my feelings and thought into consideration, instead of ignoring me or not giving a shit about how something would make me feel.

Hale is strong, yet he is also gentle. His touch doesn't bring pain, instead, it brings comfort. He's a protector, my protector. But sadly, not for much longer.

"I think I am going to go upstairs for a while." Lila announced in a hurry as she stood up as she dusted the nonexistent dust from her bottoms.

Hale stood up, following in pursuit. "Yeah, same." he stretched his arms up into the air which made his muscles flex as he yawned.

God, I wish no one was here right now because right now I would love nothing more than to be underneath his perfect, naked figure.

Lakyn watched the two of them suspiciously. "Are you two fucking high?"

The air in the room wasn't as fresh as it had been the last few days instead it smelt potent and smokey. It smelt like a certain drug that is often smoked by Hale and Lakyn. The air smells of weed and the only reason I know what that smells like is because Hale smokes quite a bit especially when he is with Lakyn.

Lila's eyes widened as she instantly became lost for words, "I--we—um," She stuttered out as she knows she's been caught out, "no?"

"She barely had any, man. Chill." Hale said brushing it off as if it were nothing, he kept a reassuring smile on his lips.

I could tell the situation was escalating extremely high, as I watched Lakyn get up and storm over towards my boyfriend and my best friend. You could pretty much feel the rage radiating out of him as

Deciding to try and lighten the mood I spoke, "You guys did it without me?" I feigned shock, shaking my head in disappointment. "Some friends you are." I said, my words coated with sarcasm.

"Upstairs." he boomed, everyone jumping in fright, "Now." he said more sternly, pointing to the stairway.

Here we go. Can't he just keep his calm for once? It's just weed, it's not like they were smoking out of a crack pipe or shooting needles full of heroin into their veins. He's overreacting so much right now and it's very unnecessary as it's my birthday and he is choosing to fight with his girlfriend on it.

Lila gulped, shaking her head. "No." She deadpanned. "If I go up there, you will just yell at me and completely dismiss everything I say until you realize I am being serious, then you will pull the whole 'I must be so hard to love, you must hate me' thing, and then act like nothing happened and all is forgiven."

"Fucking hell, Violet." he spoke angrily through gritted teeth. "You should know better."

Lila screwed her face up, staring at him as though he had just said the most hurtful thing ever. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?" she asked raising her voice.

He shrugged; his expression emotionless. "After your mom. . .you'd just think that you would stay away from drugs."

My mouth flew open as my face dropped there was no way that he was seriously going to bring up her mother. How disrespectful and rude can he be? I know that it is just the way Lakyn is most of the time but this was way too far.

"It is just weed." Her hands flew around in the air.

He nodded, stepping past her. "Yeah, I know." he spoke to her. "Your mom probably started with that too. In fact, she probably used your same dumb excuse."

I wanted to attack him, his words were so hurtful and disgusting. How could he say that to his girlfriend? How could he let such damaging words out and pretty much rip apart Lila on the inside? He's supposed to love her, he's supposed to protect her, he's supposed to care about her, but instead, he is treating her like absolute shit.

This girl deserves way better.

"Lake," Hale spoke sternly, stepping in front of Lila, acting as a protective barrier between Lakyn and Lila. "she's your girlfriend, remember? Stop treating her like shit, she's been through enough."

God do we almost have the same brain or what?

Lakyn snorted. "And you don't treat your girl like shit?" he argued back. "You treated her like a fucking game for months. You didn't fuck her all because she wasn't a virgin, and now what? Now you're some fucking saint?"

And now he's is trying to hurt all of us. How can someone snap and be so hurtful within only a few seconds?

I would be lying if I had said that his words didn't hurt, they honestly felt like a million tiny daggers being twisted around in my stomach and my heart, because I knew it was true, all of what had come out of his mouth was pretty much spot on.

To be truthful they have all hurt me, but that was the past. I've chosen to see through their hurtful words and actions and instead I've got to know them and I know why they had all treated me so badly when I had first met them.

They were all damaged and missing a few pieces, but I helped them heal and find those missing pieces. I've made sure to care for them for as long as they have needed, I've been so gentle and understanding with each and every one of them and that's what's made us all best friends, cause they learned to do the same.

I've done so much good in my life, I've been nothing but nice and caring to every single person I have ever come into contact with, so why is the universe dealing me such painful cards? When will I ever get a break from being hurt?

"You're such a fucking dick." Hale spat. "I changed and for a while, you did too. But you know what?" he stepped toward Lakyn, the both of them eye-level considering they are the same height. "You are going right back to being the person she fucking despises and you're doing it all on your own."

My heart broke as I watched Lila step back in fear and hurt as a tear threatened to roll down her face, "Stop it." I intervened. "Both of you." I raised my voice, trying to sound intimidating as I rushed over to Lila.

Hale listened to me like more than half the time, Lakyn on the other hand looked over at Lila, narrowing his ice-cold eyes at her, though when he saw how upset he had made her, his eyes softened.

"Fuck this." he growled before storming up the stairs, his loud footsteps heard, then a few seconds later, he slammed the door so loud, that it sounded like it completely detached from the hinges.

Hale scoffed, his face red as he shook his hands, panting. "I just need to be by myself for a bit." he said as he pecked my temple. "I'll be back down soon."

I wanted to chase after him and make sure that he was okay, I wanted to let out all of his frustration and talk to me. I wanted to hold him and tell him that he's okay and that Lakyn didn't mean what he was saying he was just mad and wanted to make us all suffer from it.

But Lila needed me, she was a lot more fragile right now and needed me a lot more than Hale did right now. Plus, Hale would come to me if he really needed me, he would also want me to focus on Lila as she is the one that had just coped a whole heap of shit that wasn't necessary.

"Hey, it's okay." I said softly as I placed a comforting hand onto her shoulder. "I know how to make tonight better."

Lila turned her head to face me, raising an eyebrow. "And how is that?"

I grabbed her hand, leading her into the kitchen where I then released her, holding my hands out, gesturing to the bags on the kitchen island, then pulling out a tall transparent bottle. "Eden and Lila time?"

Lila snatched the bottle from my hands, a sudden rush of adrenaline filling her. "You read my mind." 

Hey Hi Hello!

I hope you guys liked the chapter. How rude was lakyn?! how do we feel about his angry outburst? what do you think that Lila and Eden are going to get up too? is Lila going to forgive him or is she going to break up with him?

Be ready for the next chapter, it's going to be a seriously crazy one!

But on a real note, how are you? hows life treating you at the moment? 

Please don't forget to vote, leave a comment, follow me on Instagram @gemxwrites and go read 'Loving Lakyn' by @sharnahespinosa

GemmaGrace

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63 0 32
When Emma moved to Florida to get to her dream college, she was, at first, thinking that the town in America would be safe, however, soon, she would...
333 36 30
Morgan Adams never expected to start her senior year in a new state. Her plans for an amazing year with her friends were pulled right out from under...
388 52 27
Do we truly know those we consider as our family? This is the last year before the beginning of the rest of Cara and Mia lives! Mia Carter still has...
171K 3.5K 64
"He takes pleasure in seeing me cry. As he walked away he gave one more blow. I think I heard a rib crack." - Eden Holland. 16 years old, a junio...