Perseverance

By JessicaLouAuthor

{18+ COMPLETED} "I don't understand why you won't tolerate the idea when we're both about the same no-strings... More

Copyright
Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter One ~ March 2028
Chapter Two ~ March
Chapter Three - March
Chapter Four: March
Chapter Five ~ March
Chapter Six ~ March
Chapter Seven ~ March
Chapter Eight ~ March
Chapter Nine ~ March
Chapter Ten - March
Chapter Eleven ~ March
Chapter Twelve ~ March
Chapter Thirteen ~ April
Chapter Fourteen ~ April
Chapter Fifteen ~ April
Chapter Sixteen ~ April
Chapter Seventeen ~ April
Chapter Eighteen ~ April
Chapter Nineteen ~ April
Chapter Twenty ~ April
Chapter Twenty One ~ April
Chapter Twenty Two ~ April
Chapter Twenty Three ~ April
Chapter Twenty Four ~ April
Chapter Twenty Six ~ April
Chapter Twenty Seven ~ May
Chapter Twenty Eight ~ May
Chapter Twenty Nine ~ May
Chapter Thirty ~ May
Chapter Thirty One ~ May
Chapter Thirty Two ~ May
Chapter Thirty Three ~ May
Chapter Thirty Four ~ May
Chapter Thirty Five ~ May
Chapter Thirty Six ~ June
Chapter Thirty Seven ~ June
Chapter Thirty Eight ~ June
Chapter Thirty Nine ~ July
Chapter Forty ~ July
Chapter Forty One ~ July
Chapter Forty Two ~ July
Chapter Forty Three ~ August
Chapter Forty Four ~ August
Chapter Forty Five ~ August
Chapter Forty Six ~ September
Chapter Forty Seven ~ September
Chapter Forty Eight ~ September
Chapter Forty Nine ~ September
Chapter Fifty ~ September
Chapter Fifty One ~ October
Chapter Fifty Two ~ October
Chapter Fifty Three ~ October
Chapter Fifty Four ~ October
Chapter Fifty Five ~ October
Chapter Fifty Six ~ November
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty Five ~ April

2.3K 146 101
By JessicaLouAuthor

"I really don't want to go," Sav moans as I pin my hair up.

"Me neither!" Zara agrees.

"Girls. You are both doing fantastic," I retort, turning back to face them. "It's time to rub it in people's faces."

"I'm in a job I hate. I'm knocked up. And single," Sav replies as Zara giggles.

"But you look beautiful!" I point out.

"Becky!" she whines.

"We're going to this reunion!" I argue. "So hush! Both of you!"

"I preferred her when she wasn't our friend!" Zara mutters, a smirk on her face.

"Me too!"

"Shut up!" I squeal, knowing that they're deliberately trying to wind me up. "You two would be lost without me!"

"How's the dress for Alice coming, Bec?" Sav asks as I continue with my hair, not looking forward to this high school evening one bit.

"It's hard," I admit. "But I think it's alright! She wants gold, which is the hardest color to work with."

"It is?" Zara says, standing up and smoothing her dress down.

"You've got to make sure it hits the light right and doesn't end up looking yellow," I explain.

"I'm sure you'll smash it, Becky!" Sav assures me.

"This is Alice Winters," I remind her. "If I get this right it could open my business to all the A-Listers!"

"You'll get it right!"

"You definitely will," Sav agrees with Zara.

"I appreciate your support." I smile before turning to face them. "How do I look?" I place my hands on my hips.

"Gorgeous!"

"Likewise," I reply to Zara.

"Really?" Zara raises an eyebrow. "I feel like a candy cane!"

"Stripes are in at the moment, Zara," I point out, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "And green and white suits you."

"At least you aren't trying to hide a stomach," Sav pipes up, scowling at herself in the mirror.

"Really, Sav?" Zara raises an eyebrow. "Look at you! Many women would kill to have a bump as small as yours right now!"

"I know but I just look slightly fat! You can't even tell that I'm pregnant."

"I can't deal with this," I exclaim, throwing my hands up. "The dress I made you hides it anyway."

"I know, Bec!" Sav smiles, grabbing hold of me and pulling me in for a hug. "I love it."

"You two really do test my patience!"

"You love us though." Zara giggles and I roll my eyes, picking up my silver clutch from the side.

"Let's go!" I grin before heading out of the room, both friends in tow.

*~*~*

Stepping into the crowded hall, I instantly grimace at the sight of the familiar faces I thought I'd left in my past.

"Why did we decide to come here?" Zara asks, and I follow her gaze towards the red haired boy standing with the old art students.

"Is that Sam?" Sav asks, pointing at Zara's old boyfriend.

"Yep," Zara confirms, nodding as she grimaces.

"He looks good."

"Becky!" Sav hisses and I immediately curse myself for being insensitive. Only too often do I say or do things without thinking them through.

"It's okay," Zara assures, turning to face us. "He does." She shrugs. "I wonder how bitter he still is about the fact I'm a lesbian."

"Probably very." I smirk.

"Let's avoid him then." Sav giggles as Zara cringes away from the idea of talking to him.

"Are they serving any drinks here?" I ask, changing the subject and craning my head to look around the room, finally spotting the wooden beverage stand in the corner. "Ah, the bar... Let's go girls!" I gesture, Zara and Sav both following closely behind. "What do you want?" I question as we reach the counter, squeezing into a free space.

"Vodka coke please." Zara smiles.

"Surprise me," Sav says.

"Really?"

"There's nothing fun about being here and not able to drink, so just get me whatever." Sav shrugs and I pout, knowing that she wants nothing more than some alcohol to get through this awful reminiscent night.

"Alright!" I smile, turning back to the bartender and quickly ordering us some drinks. He makes them quickly and I barely have enough time to count out my cash before he places them before me. "Here you go, Za!" I hand the glass of cocktail to Zara before turning to Savannah. "A non-alcoholic prosecco for you, Princess." I smirk.

"Thank you." Sav laughs. "Is Haydon coming tonight?"

I raise an eyebrow at the mention of my older brother. "He couldn't decide." I shrug. "He found it weird that I would be here too."

"Why have they done three years' worth of students?" Zara asks, gazing around at some of the random people.

"Apparently they thought if they only invited one year back, not enough people would come," I reply, my mother having informed me of such last week.

"Savannah Hurst!" A deep, familiar voice calls from behind us. "Becky Gordon. Zara Edwards."

"Ben!" Sav exclaims, turning around to face one of Brett and Ellis' friends. "You came!"

"Of course!" He grins.

"You look good, Ben," I comment, not stopping my eyes from scanning over him.

"Becky. You too."

"Did you bring your entire clan with you?" I ask, looking around the room for the fellow popular jocks.

"I don't know what you mean!"

"Well, well, well..." The sudden sound of his voice almost brings me to my knees, memories of two nights ago flashing through my head. His tone is teasing, the one I like most, loving the way it gives off his cocky yet comedic attitude. "Diner Girl!" Ellis greets Sav as we all turn to face him. I nearly freeze at the sight of him in his fitted red shirt, sleeves rolled up to the elbows, showing off his Aztec ink. "Hot Tits, and Zara." Hot Tits? Is he having a fucking laugh?

"Watch yourself, dickhead!" I growl out, immediately placing a hand on his chest and giving him a shove.

"At least I'm called by my actual name." Zara shrugs.

"Ellis." Sav smiles.

"It's good to see you girls again." He grins and I grimace, already feeling the urge to drag him off to the bathrooms. How long am I supposed to hold out?

"Likewise."

"That dress, Becky." Ellis whistles, turning his attention to only me. His blue eyes bore into mine, sparkling with something akin to awe, causing my stomach to somersault. "Red is definitely your color."

"I know it is," I retort, attempting to hide the blush on my cheeks from my friends. When the hell did I turn into a woman who craved the compliments from a man?

"Hey guys!"

"Liam!" Sav squeals at the sight of the other boy, wrapping her arms around him in a hug and effectively drawing the attention away from Ellis and I. "I haven't seen you since college!"

Ellis' eyes stay on me as the rest of the group descend into conversation with the newly arrived jock, meaning I'm able to look at the fucking sexy guy who's got his gaze fixed to me. I send him a warm smile before raising my drink to my lips, sipping on it slowly as he follows my every move.

I'm screwed.

*~*~*

I step out of the ladies room and brush down my tight dress, turning back towards the event room as I begin to make my way towards it.

"I meant every word." Ellis suddenly grabs onto my arm, pulling me into a tiny alcove as he whispers to me.

"Every word?" I repeat.

"About your dress," he breathes out, trailing his hands down my sides as butterflies fill my stomach.

"You look pretty good yourself." I smile, reaching up and wrapping my hands around his neck, leaning up towards him.

"What if someone sees us?" He smirks at my actions and I shrug.

"Maybe it's time to consider telling people?"

"You mean it?" His eyes light up at my words.

I shrug once more. "Maybe. We can discuss it tomorrow."

He says nothing in response, instead meeting my lips with his. It's a slow kiss, slower than we ever usually do, yet it feels far more personal somehow. The pace is so that we can feel every aspect of one another. His lips are soft and sensual, the way his tongue glides out and over my own causing a guttural moan to sound out from within my throat.

His hand slides behind my neck, angling my head up in order to explore my mouth further, lips sliding open as his tongue demands entrance. I happily accept as a river of fast flowing lust falls from my head down to between my legs. Damn it, why can't I ever act like a normal human being around him?

Too soon he pulls back before leaving one last chaste kiss behind on the corner of my mouth.

"We should get back before someone notices," he says and I nod, sliding out of the alcove and heading back to my friends, desperately trying to ignore the unrepentant urge to turn and run straight back into his arms.

*~*~*

One hour later and I'm enjoying myself far more, five drinks in, giggling with Zara and Sav non-stop. I knew it was a good idea for us to come here.

"I'm just going to use the restroom," Sav says suddenly and I nod before turning back to the ridiculous conversation about how Ellis' lightbulb blew last night. She disappears and I turn my attention to my almost empty glass.

"You look at an empty glass the way anyone else looks when they're told someone has died," Zara exclaims, nudging my shoulder.

"I do not!" I argue, laughing. "I just like my alcohol, is there anything wrong with that?"

"Of course not." She smirks. "I don't even think I could fit anymore liquid inside me though. How do you do it?"

"Years and years of practice." I grin.

"It isn't going to work you know!" A sudden high pitched voice exclaims, both of us turning towards the restrooms to see Savannah and her arch-nemesis from high school, Ashley, in the middle of the room. She grabs onto Sav's wrist, whirling her around to face her.

"Get off of me!" Sav orders, pulling her arm away before taking a step towards her. "I swear Ashley, I will not hesitate to beat your ass like I did in high school."

I grin at my best friend's words, truly impressed by the way she's handling the situation. Trashley has always deserved a slap in the face, and the fight her and Sav had in high school was an absolute gem to watch.

"I'd like to see you try!" Ashley smirks. "Looks like you've gained some extra weight there, Diner Slut!" she comments before continuing. "Brett wouldn't touch you if you were the last girl in the world," she exclaims and I feel something inside of me snap, fury bubbling just beneath the surface as I step forward, ready to beat this absolute idiot into the floor.

"I beg to differ." The deep, slightly threatening voice makes me freeze in place, breaking the silence of the hall.

"What?"

"You heard me, Ashley," Brett replies and I feel my mouth drop open from shock. He's here! He came back for her. I've been telling her for days that it isn't over. Oh, Bretty Boy it looks like you've done me proud.

"I've got something to tell you," Brett announces, his eyes back on Ashley. "And you boys." He turns to grin at his friends beside me, taking a breath before continuing. "That beautiful woman over there." He points to Savannah. "The girl I plan on waking up to every day for the rest of my life." He takes a breath, my heart fluttering at his words. "Is pregnant with my baby."

I think fireworks just erupted in front of my eyes. I can see that Sav is struggling to contain her emotions, an enormous grin spreading over my own face as I watch the two soul mates come together once more.

All in front of Trashley, his ex, no less.

"What?" Ashley squeals, her victorious expression dropping, eyes wide as she looks between the two.

"Congratulations man!" Liam yells.

"Now the non-alcoholic choice makes sense," Ben comments, grinning as I slap him on the chest.

"I... Uh..." Ashley stutters before turning away, shooting back towards the restroom and out of sight.

Brett and Sav waste no time, kissing each other with pure, obvious passion before any of us have the chance to look away. For once though, I don't mind, my chest heaving with joy at the fact my best friend finally has the family she deserves.

"Fuck it!" Ellis exclaims from beside me. I turn to look at him with confusion before he suddenly grabs onto me, pulling me back and dipping me towards the floor. My heart leaves my chest as he presses his lips to mine as though his life depends on it. Just like every other time, we're suddenly alone, the only people who matter. I'm oblivious to everything else as he moves his mouth against mine, the way his hands hold me up making me feel warm and protected, never wanting to leave.

"What the hell is happening?" Liam exclaims as Ellis pulls back, smiling apologetically at me as he returns me to a standing position.

"Apparently everyone is getting together." Zara laughs.

"Okay then, Zara?" Ben smirks, opening his arms, jokingly.

"Still a lesbian," she retorts and he shrugs, laughing.

"You two?" Sav accuses, her eyes on Ellis and I. I can't shift the guilty look from my face.

"We went out on one date," I admit, choosing to ignore the other random hook-ups. Sav shakes her head in disbelief, grinning.

"Wow! That's why you were so secretive," she exclaims and I shrug, unable to stop a laugh as Ellis throws his arm around me. Well, now we're definitely busted.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

More Brett and Sav!!! Little shoutout to MadelynJoy2 for giving these characters my all time favourite nicknames; Trashley and Bretty Boy.

Well, that's it! The secret is out...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.9K 1.3K 34
~~~~~ One thing that most definitely hasn't changed is the power of those bright hazel eyes to reduce me to a puddle of mush. And I can't help but th...
14.6M 370K 70
⚠️ Published version Available in Paperback & E-Book through Amazon! Hardcover and Paperback available online at Barnes & Noble! This WattPad versio...
666K 4.5K 5
***COMPLETE*** Series coming down Nov 1st He asked me to tell him why I loved the cello and I told him but I wasn't expecting his response. "The way...
95.3K 1.9K 7
Sample only, Ebook available on Apple books, Book by Barnes and Nobles, and Kobo. Links in bio ❤️ ***** "You are going to come again, but not until I...