Perseverance

By JessicaLouAuthor

{18+ COMPLETED} "I don't understand why you won't tolerate the idea when we're both about the same no-strings... More

Copyright
Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter One ~ March 2028
Chapter Two ~ March
Chapter Three - March
Chapter Four: March
Chapter Five ~ March
Chapter Six ~ March
Chapter Seven ~ March
Chapter Eight ~ March
Chapter Ten - March
Chapter Eleven ~ March
Chapter Twelve ~ March
Chapter Thirteen ~ April
Chapter Fourteen ~ April
Chapter Fifteen ~ April
Chapter Sixteen ~ April
Chapter Seventeen ~ April
Chapter Eighteen ~ April
Chapter Nineteen ~ April
Chapter Twenty ~ April
Chapter Twenty One ~ April
Chapter Twenty Two ~ April
Chapter Twenty Three ~ April
Chapter Twenty Four ~ April
Chapter Twenty Five ~ April
Chapter Twenty Six ~ April
Chapter Twenty Seven ~ May
Chapter Twenty Eight ~ May
Chapter Twenty Nine ~ May
Chapter Thirty ~ May
Chapter Thirty One ~ May
Chapter Thirty Two ~ May
Chapter Thirty Three ~ May
Chapter Thirty Four ~ May
Chapter Thirty Five ~ May
Chapter Thirty Six ~ June
Chapter Thirty Seven ~ June
Chapter Thirty Eight ~ June
Chapter Thirty Nine ~ July
Chapter Forty ~ July
Chapter Forty One ~ July
Chapter Forty Two ~ July
Chapter Forty Three ~ August
Chapter Forty Four ~ August
Chapter Forty Five ~ August
Chapter Forty Six ~ September
Chapter Forty Seven ~ September
Chapter Forty Eight ~ September
Chapter Forty Nine ~ September
Chapter Fifty ~ September
Chapter Fifty One ~ October
Chapter Fifty Two ~ October
Chapter Fifty Three ~ October
Chapter Fifty Four ~ October
Chapter Fifty Five ~ October
Chapter Fifty Six ~ November
Epilogue

Chapter Nine ~ March

2.5K 134 67
By JessicaLouAuthor

I slip out the door the next morning and head down the stairs before Ellis has the chance to call up, alerting Sav of his presence.

He seems surprised to see me as I walk out the apartment building just as he is stepping out of his blue car, readying himself to alert my best friend of his arrival.

"Well, well..." He grins. "You seem eager."

"I don't want Savannah to know I'm spending time with you." I scoff. "That's all."

"Sure." Ellis smirks before turning and grabbing hold of the car door, pulling it open. "My lady." He gestures for me to get in and I roll my eyes with a grin.

"Who the hell are you?" I tease and he laughs, shutting the door behind me and walking to the other side, sliding into his own seat.

"You shouldn't be so surprised," he says. "I can be a gentleman if I want to be."

"That's funny, I'm not sure I like a gentle man," I bite back and he grins.

"For you, I'd be anything."

"Turn down the cheese or I'll get the fuck out of this car right now," I threaten and he laughs, stepping on the gas and accelerating away. "Where are we going?"

"There are three apartments in the city, and one slightly outside of it."

"Four places?" I exclaim. "I only set aside a couple of hours to spend with you," I say jokingly as he raises an eyebrow.

"I guess I'm kidnapping you for most of the day then."

*~*~*

"What do you think?" Ellis asks as we enter the second apartment, my eyes widening at the open space. Brick covers the back wall, a black, wrought iron spiral staircase in front, leading up to what I can only assume is the master bedroom. An old fashioned looking kitchen stands to the right, a touch of modernity within it, the lights above illuminating it with a crisp, white light.

A wall length window covers the left side, a sky-high view of the city causing a smile to spread over my lips.

"What do you think?" I retort and he shrugs.

"It seems alright."

"Alright?" I scoff. "If I had the money you'd be fighting me for this place."

"Is that right?" He grins.

"Look at this!" I gesture to the window. "This is incredible!"

"I guess it is," he agrees, stepping beside me and looking back at the agent. "When is this one available?"

"Right away," she replies before her cell starts buzzing. "Will you excuse me?"

"Of course." Ellis nods, the agent ducking out of the front door as I turn from the window, walking over to the green countertops, running my hand over them. "Do you like the green?" he asks and I grin.

"It adds character," I retort. "This isn't just your average city apartment. It has something to it besides white walls."

"Yeah." He nods. "Come on!" he gestures, holding his hand out.

I take a step towards him, furrowing my eyebrows. "What?"

"There's one room we haven't seen." Ellis smirks and I laugh as his hand curls around mine, ignoring the strange jolt of something in my gut. I knew I should have grabbed breakfast before I came.

Ellis leads us to the spiral staircase, both of us laughing. We run up the steep steps, stopping with a start at the top, the enormous bedroom housing one huge bed, a circular window to the right of it.

"Wow." I breathe out.

"Wow indeed." Ellis grins. "That's a big bed."

"Is that all you see?" I exclaim and he nods.

"Absolutely."

"What about the window?"

"Fuck the window," he retorts, grabbing my hand once more. "Come on!" He wrenches my hand forward, propelling me towards the bed.

"Ellis!" I squeal as he launches onto it, his hand pulling me along with him, falling beside him onto the heavenly, soft sheets. He laughs at the sound of my voice, letting go of my hand and rolling onto his back as I watch him, the smile taking over his whole face. It's impossible to ignore, the sight of it spreading warmth through my face, never wanting to look away from his happiness. It's a strange thing, like when I see him excited, I want to be excited too, and I want to prolong the feeling for as long as possible, just the two of us in our own little world.

"What do you think?" he asks suddenly, his face turning, eyes meeting mine.

"Think?" I repeat softly, ripped away from staring at his fucking God like features.

"Of the bed?" He grins. "Is it comfy?"

Turning away slightly, I spread my arms along the mattress, hands digging into the material. "So comfy!" I confirm, elongating my answer as he laughs.

"I agree."

"You do know the bed doesn't come with the apartment?" I smirk, turning onto my side to face him, not caring that my dress has ridden up slightly, more thigh on show than I would usually display in a public place. Surprisingly his gaze doesn't seem to stray away from my face.

"I know," he replies with a smile. "I'll just have to find somewhere that sells one identical."

"Is that so?"

"Definitely." He grins, turning to face me, suddenly far closer than before. My eyes nearly widen at the action, yet I maintain my composure, masking my surprise with a look of indifference.

"For all the ladies?" I tease and he shakes his head.

"For a decent night's sleep."

"As if!" I exclaim, laughing as I make a move to turn away, his arm reaching out and grabbing onto my waist, stopping me.

"It's the truth."

"And I'm Angelina Jolie." I smirk at his words, his hand tightening on my waist as he shifts slightly closer, the smile soon falling from my lips.

"I'm not lying, Becky," he says in a low voice, moving his head up slightly to look down at me. "Angelina Jolie? Yeah, she's hot, yet I find you far more appetizing."

"Appetizing?" I repeat and he nods, his lips twitching into a small smile as he moves his face even closer, my chest feeling as though it's tightening slightly, the flutters inside me back with a vengeance as my heart begins to race.

"You're gorgeous, Becky," Ellis elaborates, his hand moving in front of my face, reaching down and swiping some of my hair out of the way, a sudden involuntary exhale of breath leaving my lips.

I'm frozen, unable, or unwilling, to move as his gaze drops down to my lips and I part them. His blue eyes look back up to mine and I see them filled with an emotion I can't quite place, yet it makes me want him more, just one small taste...

I curve my lips into a small, encouraging smile, his eyes taking note of it before his face drops closer and closer to mine. Our lips graze over one another and my core throbs from the minuscule contact.

"Excuse me!" The sudden exclamation from the agent has us springing apart. "No canoodling in the bedroom!" she snaps and I laugh as Ellis grabs onto my hand, pulling me after him as we run past the agent, back down the staircase and straight for the front door, the ridiculous notion of being told off leaving us both in hysterical laughter.

*~*~*

"I don't see any apartment buildings out here," I exclaim as I shut the car door behind me, looking over at Ellis as he shrugs.

"I did tell you I was kidnapping you."

I glance around, the sun dipping lower on the horizon, the blue of the ocean glinting against the light, the movements of the water rippling up onto the sand. It's gorgeous, not a soul in sight, and I can't help the smile that appears on my face as I look back at the small patch on the edge of the road that Ellis pulled into, trees the only other thing surrounding us.

"I didn't take your words seriously," I counter and he smirks, stepping closer towards me.

"I meant every word I've said today," he replies, his eyes meeting mine once more. I feel my heart skip a beat in my chest, unable to stop myself from thinking back over our time on the bed, the way he made me feel scaring me slightly.

"Can we get onto the beach?" I ask, looking back out at the golden sand. He nods, gesturing for me to follow him to the left, down a rocky bank before we weave past the trees, ending up with the sand beneath our feet.

I don't hesitate when I lean down, pulling my shoes off, him watching me with curiosity. "What?" I exclaim. "You aren't going to?"

"I wasn't-"

"Come on!" I exclaim, shoving him back and reaching down for the laces on his Converse. "Live a little!"

"Alright!" He laughs, attempting to swat me away as I rip them undone. Stepping back, I let him pull them off his feet before I turn away, heading straight down the beach and closing my eyes momentarily, feeling the warmth on my face as I go. The sand is sinking between my toes, one of my favorite feelings in the world and I can't help but feel happy that Ellis brought me here.

"Hurry up!" I call over my shoulder.

"You know, I'm surprised!" he replies loudly. "I thought you'd be angry that I lied to you."

"You're lucky it was a beach," I retort, grinning as I turn to face him. "It's a weak spot of mine."

"It is?"

"Ever since I was a baby my parents have taken me on expensive holidays, but the one thing they always had in common was that we'd always find a beach," I explain. "Do you know how different a beach in California is to a beach in Tenerife? How different England is to Florida?"

"I don't," Ellis replies. "My parents tend to prefer lake houses."

"Lake houses are good too," I say. "It was always Haydon and I who went to the beaches. Mom was usually at a spa, Dad playing tennis or racquetball." I shrug. "Our family holidays never consisted of much family time."

"That's a shame."

"It is what it is." I scoff, turning back to look at the waves, inviting and serene as they lap against the shoreline. "Are you coming?" I ask, glancing at him with a challenging grin over my shoulder.

"Cumming?" He widens his eyes. "Hopefully-"

"Shut up!" I exclaim, reaching back and shoving him, watching as he stumbles, laughing like there's no tomorrow. "I'll race you!"

Dropping my shoes on the sand, I run down towards the sea and relish in the feel of the breeze against my face, my dark hair whipping out behind me. I smile and turn to see Ellis close behind, reaching for me and wrapping his arm around my waist just as we reach the water, lifting me up so that my feet can't meet the sea.

"That's not fair!" I exclaim, gripping onto his arms as he laughs, his chest against my back as I look down at the swirling liquid beneath my feet. "Put me down!" I order and with that he basically drops me, the force of me hitting the water causing splashes up my legs, soaking my dress.

My mouth drops open as I look back at the smirking Ellis. "You're going to pay for that!" I promise. He raises an eyebrow before I lower my hands, sliding them through the water harshly and showering him with it.

"What the hell?" he exclaims, turning away and attempting to get away from me as I follow, continuing to splash him with as much water as possible.

Hey, if you mess with Becky Gordon, you better be ready for the damn consequences.

*~*~*

Sitting back on the sand I look out to sea, the sun nearly dipping below the horizon now, the air getting chillier with every passing minute.

"Why did you bring me here?" I ask Ellis as I glance over, both of us lying back to allow our clothes to dry, the antics in the sea only causing an awkward, wet, after party.

He shrugs, not looking at me. "You seemed like you needed a break from the city."

"I guess I did," I admit. "It's been so long since I came to a beach."

"I thought your family took you?"

I shake my head, looking down at my damp dress. "I can't afford to go with my parents anymore. They offer to pay but... I'm an adult, you know? I'm supposed to be independent."

"I get it." Ellis nods. "You'll be able to afford it one day."

"We'll see." I shrug, looking back at him.

"Don't doubt yourself."

"Isn't that what everyone does? No-one is ever sure of themselves," I retort and he sighs, sitting up.

"Maybe so," he agrees. "But you seem to doubt yourself a lot more than others."

"There could be a good reason for that," I counter and he raises an eyebrow.

"There isn't," Ellis says with such conviction that I'm almost convinced myself. Almost.

It's at this point I realize how close he is, the way he's looking into my eyes with that damn unreadable emotion again. It's a look that has me nervous, yet I enjoy it, a look that causes excitement to build within me.

This was supposed to be a day of me helping him find an apartment - one friend helping another. Feelings were not supposed to be part of it.

Looking away from his eyes I dust my dress down before standing up. "I think we should get back to the city now."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

743K 19.3K 48
"Ash," he breathed, "We're getting dangerous here." "No head?" Something red flashed through his eyes, as the corners of his mouth tugged into a smil...
140K 1.2K 8
"Now, Gary. I understand that you're twenty-four. But I need you to train in restraining your sexual desire, you're not a horny teenager. So, we will...
2.6M 74.9K 27
He swiped my sweat-soaked hair off my neck, resting his lips against my ear. His fiery breaths blew across my earlobe. My body shuddered once again...
99.7K 2K 7
Sample only, Ebook available on Apple books, Book by Barnes and Nobles, and Kobo. Links in bio ❤️ ***** "You are going to come again, but not until I...