Steel Roses

By RenaFreefall

#27 in Fantasy ~ When the chance to run arrives, Beldon doesn't think twice about escaping into the shad... More

100 Pitch~
Once Upon A Time
A Life for a Rose
The Castle of The Beast
The Rose Room
The Castle
Dining with The Beast
The Gardens of the Castle
A Friend
Stairways beyond Bookshelves
Beyond the Mirror
The Beast
Monsters in The Forest
Returned to The Castle
To Dine Again
Jasper
When Company Calls
Beauty
The Gallery
The Paintings
Promise One: Skating
Promise Two: Music
The Treasury
Silk and Spice
Melting Winter
Rosalia
By the North and Southern Wind
Promise Three: Fencing
The Unnatural Ones
The Artist
Story Books
Show Me Beauty
I'll Leave
Returning Winter
Home Again
His Tale To Tell
Something You Need To Know
The Fearless and Foolish
Return To The Castle
Fairray
Hunter of Tales
Death Over Love
The Death Of The Beast

~Epilogue~ An Uncollected Tale of Beauty and The Beast

14K 650 447
By RenaFreefall

Beldon sat on one of the benches in the rose garden, roses and snow surrounding him. He wasn't wearing a cloak and his shirt was thin, but he didn't feel any cold. Beside him sat a woman, her entire body a shining golden light, silhouetting her. A wind that Beldon could not feel tugged at her flowing hair and dress and slips of light were pulled loose from the ends and drawn away, fading into rose petals that blew into the distance.

"Isn't he foolish?" The Southern Wind asked, her tone revealing an easy smile. She was looking ahead and Beldon looked in the same direction.

A figure stood with his back to them, just out of earshot, a cloak around his shoulders, his silver-blonde hair blowing in the same unfelt winds.

"He was cursed because he did not understand the meaning of love. All that mattered to him was the face of his partner - one just needed to be pretty to look at for the night. He thinks of course that he was cursed for the rejection of my daughter and, while that did enrage my husband, that is not the main reason for his curse." The Southern Wind laughed. "The North Wind can be quite the romantic really - and love is precious and rare."

"When you gave him the chance to reverse the curse, did you intend for Beauty to be a woman?" Beldon asked, looking at the goddess he sat beside.

"Oh no," she replied, "Not at all. While it is true that it could have been a woman - love is blind after all - I knew it would not be. Luka does not possess the ability to love a woman in that way - much as yourself. No, all he had to do was fall in love and be loved in return... I may not have mentioned that fact however, so he was tormented for decades believing he could only change by loving the gender he had jilted - imagine the agony he felt when you arrived and he fell in love at first sight."

Beldon looked back to the figure as he carefully pulled a rose free and was quite for a moment.

"What about the mirror?" he asked, "That mirror always showed him Rosalia."

They both looked at the mirror that appeared beside them, intact again.

"It shows both truth and desire," The Southern Wind said softly, touching the mirror. The blue shattered and revealed an image of Rosalia. "It showed what he desired - what he believed he needed to break the curse - it showed him a woman - one who looked as close as possible to what he really wished for."

The image shifted to show that painting of Beldon in his riding gear.

"And it also showed him the truth, it showed him Beauty. It was right there but he confused truth and desire. Did you not notice that whenever Rosalia appeared, your image was also there in some respect?"

Beldon looked at the reflection for a moment, then almost laughed. "So simple, and yet not."

"Ah but that is the way of fairytales," The Southern Wind said softly, watching the mirror as it slowly faded away.

They sat in silence for a long moment, watching as snow started to fall.

"Beldon, you have understood our agreement, yes?"

"I have, as I have told you before," Beldon said, looking at her. "In exchange for the life of The Beast, I am now yours."

"You needn't make it sound so dramatic, my dear. However, as you are well aware, the life you have chosen means your life will ne'er be normal. There will always be struggle; you will have you live by the rules of Tales and be my eyes and ears and voice and hands when it is necessary."

"I do understand," Beldon said, "I'm not afraid of a life that is not normal. I do not fear serving you in return for a life with him. As payment, it seems small."

The Southern Wind just laughed softly. "Very well," she said and stood up, looking down at him. "I think you will do well following in my footsteps."

"'Tis small so long as it doesn't some how come back to haunt him."

She looked down at him.

"He'll always be safe, correct? He'll be safe?"

"Well, curses always leave lasting effects, sometimes physical, sometimes mental, sometimes... not all the enchantment goes away."

Beldon looked up at her, sudden panic in his eyes.

"But he'll be alright."

"And... Nothing will cause me to... leave... will it?"

He sensed her smile at that. "Welcome Beauty, banish fear, for you are King and Master here."

She turned away and Beldon looked to the roses, a soft smile forming.

"Oh Beldon."

He looked around as The Southern Wind looked over her shoulder.

"Regarding summer. It-"

The dream that had been repeating itself for a month now was suddenly interrupted when Beldon felt a hand slide under his stomach, warm fingers against his bare skin, the mattress sinking on either side of him as someone knelt over him, soft lips kissing the scars across his back.

"I'm sleeping, you know?" he muttered, refusing to open his eyes or turn onto his back, trying to recapture the dream - not that it mattered since it never went beyond that moment.

The owner of the hand laughed slightly against his back then moved up and kissed the back of his neck.

"My apologies for waking you."

"I won't be waking up until I have spelt enough, I hope you know. I have no time for your ridiculously early mornings."

Another laugh and Beldon was pulled over onto his back, fingers interlocking with his as a mouth was pressed to his own and even as he kissed back, he still refused to open his eyes.

"Very well, as usual you win. Call for me when you plan to have breakfast so I can eat with you."

"Of course," Beldon said, a slight shiver running up his chest as a cool breeze came through the room.

The weight on either side of him stepped away and the covers were pulled over him, another kiss, this time softer settling on his lips again.

"I love you."

"You to," Beldon whispered and the shadow beyond his eyes vanished.

He counted three beats, then opened one eye, just in time to see silver hair and a sweeping robe exit the doors of his room before both his eyes and the doors closed again.

He lay there for a few moments, and then opened his eyes, frowning.

"Has he woken you up again, darling?" Vanessa asked from nearby, coming out of a room with a set of clothes, laying them out.

"No one warned me he was an early bird," Beldon said, rolling onto his front again, dropping his chin on the mattress and watching Vanessa as she poured him a cup of tea - the cup floating unaided through the air to the bedside table.

"Might I remind you how late you go to bed?" Vanessa pointed out, smiling at him, "You keep him up until all hours of the night, I think he's getting his own back by waking you up early."

Beldon frowned at her and she smiled. After a moment, he smiled in reply.

"How are the repairs coming along?" he asked, sitting up, running a hand through his bird nest of hair.

"Very well," Vanessa said, "The West Wing should be back to its former glory soon enough. I'm surprised by how many rooms you managed to clean up in just three months."

"Never underestimate someone who is bored out of his mind," Beldon replied getting out of bed and heading into the bathroom, taking his tea with him.

"And have you been bored over the last month?" Vanessa asked as he undressed and slid into the bath, listening as the main doors opened.

"No," he replied, smiling, dropping his head underwater and running his hands through his hair, coming up a moment later. "Morning Julius."

Julius smiled at him as he collected Beldon's clothes, kneeling beside the bath.

"Good morning, how are you?"

"Fine," Beldon said.

"Fencing practice today?"

Beldon grinned at him. "Of course, you've still beat me again."

Julius sneered at him and then they both froze as Vanessa appeared in the doorway, looking like a gorgon as she loomed over them.

"What did I say about fencing until his shoulder was completely recovered?" she growled.

Both boys winced at the same time. "Not yet?" they offered.

"Not yet indeed!" she snarled and marched out again.

They stared at the door for a moment, then quickly turned to each other, putting their heads close together.

"One o'clock in the ballroom?" Julius suggested.

"Perfect," Beldon said and they grinned at each other before Julius stood up and left the bathroom, Vanessa growling at him.

Once bathed and fully awake, Beldon got out of the bath and dried off, pulling on underclothes and walking out into the bedroom, Vanessa bustling around nearby.

He still felt he should have been highly self-conscious by her presence; she was there in flesh and blood now after all, but he had become so used to her being around - and she him - that it was no concern anymore.

He smiled slightly as Vanessa debated over two shirts.

Still so precise about her work, but now she had the freedom of the castle. She could come and go when she wished. She had access to her own private rooms again.

She hadn't found her husband though. No matter how much anyone and everyone searched, he was no longer in the castle. Vanessa hid her pain and disappointment well, saying she was used to him not being around now, but it still left him wondering where the man could have gone.

Roughly drying his hair, he tied it up and changed into his usual attire.

"Do you know where The- Luka has gone?" he asked, wincing at his mistake and Vanessa smiled over her shoulder at him.

"You'll be used to the name soon enough," she promised, "You just need to say it more. And I don't mean only a night."

Beldon stared at her for a moment, then his face turned a blazing red. "Vanessa!" he said in shock, gobsmacked by her brazen words, "I can't believe you'd s-" he started before stopping at voices beyond the door.

"He's not here and these are Beldon's quarters, you don't need to come!" Iago was saying, irritated as he hurled one door open.

"The Master lives in these rooms as well now, so I have every right to," Sebastian snapped, throwing open the other one and marching in. Sebastian was a tall slender man, with sharp dark grey eyes that lay behind thin spectacles, and blonde hair that was slicked back over his head. Sharp and smart, dressed in a traditional butler's suit, as opposed to Iago who wore a long fitted coat of black and red over flared black trousers.

"Master Beldon," they both said, bowing to him before turning on each other again.

Beldon smiled.

It turned out he and Sebastian weren't actually as hateful of each other as it had appeared - despite Sebastian's attempted homicide, something Iago delighted in reminding Sebastian of whenever he wanted to win a disagreement.

While Iago and Sebastian refused to get along, he and Beldon actually somewhat did. After all, all Sebastian had only desired was his master's freedom, and he had got it.

"Sebastian, where did Luka go?" he asked, cutting them both off as he laced his boots.

"The rose garden, Sir, shall I call for him?" Sebastian asked.

"No, it's alright; I'll go meet him, could you just have breakfast ready?" Beldon asked, pulling on a cloak.

"Of course, Sir," Sebastian said and the three servants bowed to him as he walked out, closing the door behind him.

~~~~~

Despite the lifted enchantment on the castle, some things hadn't changed. It was still winter for example, there was still a magic in the air and there were still dogs in the forest.

They hadn't disappeared or changed when the spell had been lifted. They still watched Beldon from the boarders of the grounds as he rode to the gardens.

Swinging from his horse, he made his way quickly to the rose garden, watching one of the dogs that sat on the edge of the grounds that morning.

He almost collided with Luka, his attention was so focused on the dog and Luka looked around in surprise, before noticing the dog.

"Shall I get rid of it?" he asked slowly, holding out an arm so Beldon was pushed partly behind him.

"No, it's alright, they don't do anything anymore," Beldon said, sitting down on a bench - the one h shared with the goddess in his dreams. "In fact, I'm pretty sure I have them to thank for finding my way back here."

"Perhaps," Luka muttered, before noticing Beldon's hair. "Did you not dry your hair? Are you trying to get sick again?" he asked, catching Beldon's head.

"Ah it's dry enough," Beldon said, waving his hands away and Luka caught his hand, crouching down in front of him.

"Vanessa is going to be mad if you get sick again," he warned.

"I'll deal with that when it comes."

"Not you, she'll be mad at me for letting it happen," Luka said and Beldon laughed.

"I think you can handle it, Prince."

"Prince gives no protection against an angry personal maid," Luka said and Beldon laughed again, looking at him, watching him even after his laugh faded. "What?" Luka asked, smiling.

"Prince, huh?" Beldon said and Luka winced. "So that whole thing in the gallery, where I was staring right at your portrait and you didn't even think to mention anything..."

"Well..." Luka said, grimacing, "... I didn't want to be jealous of my own painting, watching you gaze at my old face while I looked... like that. I didn't think you'd ever see me for me."

"And the bit about your being their personal artist?"

"Well I was. I did all the royal portraits because I liked to. I just... happened to be the second prince."

"You could have told me," Beldon said.

"I thought that if I kept a wall between us my feelings wouldn't surface - that I could control that instant attraction I had felt the first time I saw you. I didn't want to become even more attached," Luka said, then smiled shaking his head and folding his arms of Beldon's lap. "I failed," he added and they both laughed, Luka moving to sit down beside him.

Beldon turned so his back was against one of the pillars, one foot on the bench and he just looked at Luka for a while. He had become so used to the face of The Beast; this one was taking some getting used to. His hair was now combed and straight, tied in a ponytail at the base of his neck and he was clean shaven.

Two things remained from his time as The Beast however. He still wore the thin gold chains that locked into the collar at his neck, like they were a reminder.

And the scars remained. Four slim jagged scars down his jaw, marring his handsome face but when Beldon asked about them, he had said he was no longer so vain as to care about four scars when he had been something much worse and had survived that.

All his clothes had changed as well. All the items that had been designed for The Beast couldn't be used anymore and old clothes had to be brought out of storage and new ones be made. He had looked so uncomfortable at times in his stiff, well fitted waistcoats and solid shirts that Beldon had said to not bother wearing them all the time - it was just him and the staff after all. They only had to dress finely for two things.

For guests - and they had had a few, Christian and his siblings mainly, Beldon's father was still suffering shock that Beldon had returned to the castle and was now with a man - who had been a monster and was now a man again - and a man.

And for dinner. At the same time every night, they dressed and went down to dinner together and, for the first time, Beldon started to see Luka eat. As The Beast, Beldon had never seen it, he'd seen him drink but not eat.

Now, they sat opposite each other - the head and the foot of the table no longer used - and hosted their own dinner parties, talking long into the night.

... Oh, that was what Vanessa meant by staying up all hours of the night.

A blue rose appeared in front of Beldon's face and he blinked, snapping out of his thoughts. He smiled, taking it then looking at Luka, blinking, surprised by his serious expression.

"What?" he asked.

"Are you... will you be happy here? ...With me?" Luka asked slowly.

Beldon stared at him, then jammed his foot into Luka's side, making him laugh, recoiling - Beldon had discovered, to his delight, that Luka was highly ticklish, turns out all the fur had kept that a secret. "If I weren't I would have told you by now," he said, before jolting in surprise when Luka grabbed his ankle and dragged him forwards, locking an arm around his waist and giving him another serious look, eyes locked on his like he was searching for the answer there.

"Beldon, you're not a prisoner here anymore, remember that," he said slowly, "This castle, while no longer cursed, you've seen there is magic still in its walls. This place will never be normal. This place will never again host court. Will you be alright with that? How can you stay here when companionship is out there?"

Beldon looked at him for a moment, then smiled. "Companionship is not just out there," he said gently. "It's here as well. And neither of us are locked up in this castle anymore, travelling to visit friends is easy and you can leave now as well. You're a man again."

A flash of fear flicked in Luka's eyes and Beldon realised just how scary the outside world would be for him, after over a hundred years of isolation.

Beldon smiled and reached up, resting a hand on Luka's face.

"It will be alright," he promised, before wrapping his arms around Luka and hugging him tightly. Luka hugging him back, his hold lingering for longer, his face buried in Beldon's neck until their stomachs growled in unison.

"Oh yes, breakfast will be ready," Beldon added and Luka laughed, releasing Beldon who stood up, stretching, walking to the centre of the garden and looking around.

He was still for a moment, then frowned slightly.

"Are you alright?"

"Do you feel that?" Beldon asked, looking around.

"What?"

"A rumble," Beldon said, turning around, confused, and the rumble suddenly worsened, so suddenly and so much worse it actually knocked both of them to the floor.

"What the-?" Luka said, his head snapping up to find Beldon and his eyes widened. "Bel!" he cried just as the floor under Beldon opened and he collapsed through it.

Beldon bounced down the stone stairs that appeared below him and landed in a heap on the floor, groaning as he rubbing his head.

"Bel!" Luka terrified voice shouted from the top.

"I'm alright" Beldon called, then looked around. Where was he? Another secret place? Not again.

And that was a really strong smell of roses. Like the way the entrance hall had hit him the first time he's come to the castle - it had been a while since he had smelt it so strongly, the roses were all gone now.

He stood up, dusting his clothes off and rubbing his head and torches flared to life around him.

His hand fell to his side as his jaw dropped.

He was in a circular room that was covered with roses and briars. To one side of the room was a wardrobe and a chest of draws. To the other was a dressing table and vanity mirror. But most of the room was taken up by a huge bed, draped in white sheets and rose petals, silk hanging down from the ceiling.

And there was a young woman in the bed. On her back, her hands folded neatly over her stomach, her black hair sprawled out around her head.

Beldon stared, slowly walking closer to see her better.

His brow creased.

He knew her.

"Bel!"

Luka's gasp drew his attention as the young prince rushed into the room. His eyes first went to Beldon, relief filling them when he saw he was alright.

Then he looked at the girl and his legs became weak.

"Briar..." he breathed.

"The princess?" Beldon said, looking at him and Luka stumbled forwards, collapsing to his knees by the bed and taking one of her hands - partly for support, partly to feel for a pulse.

There was one.

"She's still alive," he whispered.

Beldon looked at him, then took her hand and felt for himself. She really was. She was alive and sound asleep.

"Briar... oh little sister, you're still alive, thank goodness," Luka breathed, his head dropping, one hand resting on Beldon's leg.

"Luka-" Beldon started, then stopped.

The rumbling was back. His head snapped up and he almost fell over at the violent tremors through the ground. Luka looked up, then rushed to his feet, grabbed Beldon's hand and dragging him away.

"Wait! Your sister!" Beldon shouted, shocked.

"Leave her, she's not ours to save," Luka replied, running up the steps that were starting to crack under them.

"What?" Beldon said when they reached the top and they stopped, barely keeping their balance. The rose garden was lifting away from the ground. Beldon stared, watching his horse and several of the dogs pace around at the bottom of the tower in a panic, watching the two of them ascend - and some distant part of him wondered why the dogs were on the grounds.

Then Luka wrapped his arm around Beldon's waist and without even mentioning his intention - not that he ever did - launched himself off the edge of the garden. They hit the snow with an explosion of white and both of them looked up, watching the garden slowly lift away from them, revealing a tower a hundred feet in the air.

And then vines of razor sharp thrones burst from the top, spiralling down tower and crashing into the earth, tearing towards them. Beldon recoiled, flattening himself against Luka and they both stared as the briars passed them by, circling the grounds, growing higher than the forest, and leaving them one entrance and exit through the trees, the path Beldon had used.

They were still for a moment, just staring at the giant throne-bush-once-tower-once-rose-garden before them.

"You said all the royal children had been cursed, correct?" Beldon said slowly.

"... I did," Luka said.

"Right," Beldon muttered. "... Well so much for the roses being gone," he said, watching the delicate beautiful flowers begin to bloom amongst the briars, dwarfed by the huge thorns, some three feet long.

A soft warm breeze drifted past Beldon face, making him look up, watching a trail of rose petals skitter away across the snow, sweeping back to the castle.

"... So this is Summer," he said.

~~~~~

Next up:...... no i'm joking. This is it! Final chapter (SUCH A LONG CHAPTER)

Thank you SOOO much to everyone who has read this with me so far - and to those who read it at a later date.

Book 2: Sleeping Beauty is up and complete. 

Don't forget to vote and comment - it really helps me out and I like to see who's reading. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

207 28 14
Beauty and the Beast meets the Labyrinth in the story of a woman lost and a man who couldn't care less. I made a slight mistake. And by slight, I me...
321K 18.6K 33
[Completed in 2017] Logain is dying. He knows that he won't be around for much longer because of his illness and his life has been more than unsatisf...
901 26 12
WARNING: IF YOU ARE OKAY WITH BAD GRAMMAR AND BOOKS WRITTEN BY A 12 YEAR OLD ME, THEN BE MY GUEST. BUT DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU! *** Ethan Young i...
875 180 35
My name is Kalista. They call me the beast. Kalista has been cursed by a powerful sorceress and is now a prisoner in her own palace. As petals fall f...