Rise of the Order: A Star War...

By lexibmarie

"Master Skywalker, can I ask why?" Poe tilted his head. "Why, what?" "Why you vanished to begin with?" Poe c... More

In a galaxy far, far away...
Chapter 1: Arkanis
Chapter 2: The Resistance
Chapter 3: New Plan
Chapter 4: Hide and Seek
Chapter 5: Meeting
Chapter 6: Rey and Jennica
Chapter 7: Preparations
Chapter 8: The Millennium Falcon
Chapter 9: Celanon
Chapter 10: Followed
Chapter 11: Rogue
Chapter 12: Lightspeed
Chapter 13: Away
Chapter 14: New Strategies
Chapter 15: Assurances
Chapter 16: Gala
Chapter 17: Questions
Chapter 18: Dinner
Chapter 20: Brion
Chapter 21: News
Chapter 22: Worries
Chapter 23: Voices
Chapter 24: Moving Forward
Chapter 25: Tunnels
Chapter 26: Running
Chapter 27: Familiar Faces
Chapter 28: Sneaking Around
Chapter 29: Fears
Chapter 30: Zerek
Chapter 31: FN
Chapter 32: Terror
Chapter 33: A Force Bond
Chapter 34: Pursuit
Chapter 35: The Battle for Gala
Chapter 36: Peril
Chapter 37: Hurrying
Chapter 38: Communications
Chapter 39: Jennica
Chapter 40: I'm Sorry
Chapter 41: Omereth
Chapter 42: Masters
Chapter 43: Monk
Chapter 44: Poe
Chapter 45: New Destinations
Chapter 46: A Call
Chapter 47: Memories
Chapter 48: Given Names
Chapter 49: Getting Cleared
Chapter 50: Lockdown
Chapter 51: Splitting Up
Chapter 52: Regarding
Chapter 53: Elevator Rides
Chapter 54: Explosion
Chapter 55: Operation OR
Chapter 56: The Chosen Weapon
Chapter 57: Panic
Chapter 58: Old Magic
Chapter 59: Out of Options
Chapter 60: Confrontations
Chapter 61: Duels
Chapter 62: The Skywalker Legacy
Chapter 63: Vicrul's Life
Chapter 64: Escaping
Chapter 65: Aftermath
Chapter 66: Hope
Epilogue: Order 99

Chapter 19: First Impressions

17 2 0
By lexibmarie

Dinner passed in a blur of conversations. Faster than Jennica realized, the evening was ending, everyone vacating the premises in groups. Rey went to walk with her but was pulled away by Councilwoman Lila--the middle-aged woman obviously still not content with the agreement that was made over the meal. Meanwhile, Finn and Chewie started chatting with some other Councilmen, producing laughter that echoed in the hall. 

So Jennica found herself alone, BB-8 being her escort out once more. She played with the edges of her dress. The fabric soft between her fidgeting fingers. 

BB-8 glanced up at her with a sweet beep.

"Why, thank you, buddy," Jennica smiled.  "I'm definitely not used to dressing up like this."

He released another series of sounds, his head bobbing to and fro. 

"Yeah, you tell Poe that," she chuckled. "Breaking news: his sister in a dress."

She folded her arms, making sure to stroll at a pace easy for the droid. "You should also tell him that Finn looked nice too. I want to see his reaction."

The droid cocked his head with a bwoop.

"Oh, come on, BB-8," Jennica said with a smirk. "He gave the guy his jacket. How can you not know what I'm talking about?"

BB-8 gave an indifferent shake of his head.

She shrugged. "I'm just saying. I can see it."

Silence filled the air then, a peace settling over the scene as they strolled back to her room. It was comforting for once. Just her and BB-8. No shouting. No blaster shots. No engine take-offs. No screams for help. The war seeming out of reach for just a moment.

At least it was quiet, until the sound of jogging footsteps echoed down the hall. Jennica turned, BB-8 joining her in looking at their pursuer.

"Lieutenant," Councilman Zerek called.

"Councilman Zerek," Jennica greeted, straightening herself. "Is there something I can do for you? Is there a problem?" 

He came to a halt in front of her, out of breath. "I was actually--" He took a big gulp of air, steadying himself. "I was wondering if perhaps I could have the honor of...uh...walking you to your room this evening."

Jennica raised her eyebrows. "Um..." She exchanged a glance with BB-8, not knowing how to respond.

The droid read her face though, surprising both her and Zerek with a snarky response. 

Jennica stifled her laughter. "Yes, I'm afraid I already have an escort, Councilman."

Zerek bit his lip. "Oh...well then-uh..."

"But you are free to join us," Jennica clarified, eyeing BB-8 with a smile. "Don't worry about it."

The Councilman released a chuckle, relief evident in his smile. He took his place beside her as she continued her course. His hands dutifully placed behind his back, standing a few inches taller than her.

He didn't make to speak right away, and Jennica studied him. Not really knowing the gentleman beside her. After a few paces of silence, she spoke up. "I should thank you, Councilman, for believing in the Resistance. Closing your borders will help you and your people in the long-run, I'm sure of it."

"Oh, well, of course, Lieutenant. Your reasoning was quite sound. Although, Councilwoman Lila and I do have our grievances," he explained. "Also, please, call me Zerek."

"Jennica," she nodded back. "Tell me, Zerek, why are you so doubtful of our intentions here?"

He straightened. "Well, I apologize for the bluntness, but I just don't trust the Resistance."

BB-8 twirled his head on the man in intrigue. 

"Why so?" Jennica furrowed her brows.

"They are just another operation claiming to fight for the galaxy. Just like the Rebel Alliance before them. And even the Republic," he explained. "But despite that, whole civilizations have been lost to the war they continue to fight."

"Well, you could say the same about the First Order or the Empire," Jennica countered. "And they are the ones who forcibly destroy planets and cultures in their attempts at control. Not us."

Zerek released a wry chuckle. "Ah, I see. You see yourself as the good guy."

"Because we are."

"I believe those in the First Order would say similarly about themselves."

Jennica frowned. "They are blind and arrogant, that's why. They think they're making the world a better place, when they're not."

"On the contrary, some planets have benefited deeply from First Order tech and provisions."

"That does not make up for their sins," Jennica denied. "They destroyed an entire system!"

"Even the Resistance has its' faults."

Jennica's feet came to a sudden halt. A knot tightening in her chest. "Do you really see us as the enemy?" she asked, narrowing her eyes in disbelief.

Zerek paused a mere step ahead. He tilted his chin. "Not at all." He shrugged. "I merely see two fronts who believe they are right, adding to the devastation from the past two wars."

She crossed her arms. "You take no side, then. Is that it?"

He smiled, a mischievous gleam in his dark eyes. "That is correct."

She continued walking, BB-8 rolling at her slowed pace. She dutifully observed him as he joined back up at her side. "I do not understand you, Zerek."

"Why?" he chuckled. "Because my beliefs don't echo your own?"

"No," she shook her head. "Because you don't have any."

He glanced down at her, wordless. 

She continued in his silence, "A war goes on around you. And you choose to ignore it. Claiming there is no good and evil." She pursed her lips. "In a sense, you're an enemy to all of us: you're the one who doesn't care."

Zerek bit his lip. His eyes finding the floor suddenly interesting. She let him think. Her dislike for his attitude enough for her to smugly continue walking in silence. 

After another turn, they made it to her room. Neither having spoken a word. BB-8 announced their arrival, giving a hard whirl on Zerek. The droid obviously not liking the Councilman either. 

Jennica sighed. "Well, thank you for walking me, Zerek. But I'm glad to say this is where our journey ends." And hopefully, we'll never have to talk again.

Zerek went to say something, but shut his mouth. 

She eyed him in the doorway, BB-8 not even giving a second glance back as he entered. "Good night, Councilman."

His eyebrows furrowed. "Lieutenant, wait. I--"

She shut the door on him. His words getting lost behind the sleek metal. She took a deep breath, shaking her head. 

BB-8 whistled out from the center of the room, Zeelee alighting on his head. 

"I know," she grumbled. "Never again."

~~~~~~~~

Later that night, when all of Yarel was asleep, Rogue walked the halls of the cave city. In the darkness, he was just another shadow gliding along the walls. So far his presence on Gala has remained unnoticed, and he was making every effort for it to remain that way. On Celanon it was easier. He resembled just another bounty hunter, albeit a menacing one. But on Gala, he stood out. So with every corner he rounded, he couldn't help but furtively look about him.

His infiltration plan was simple. Start with those no one would notice. The lower class. So that's where he was headed, climbing down staircases and navigating his way down to the bottom floor of the city. 

His mind wandered, remembering what he had seen at the banquet the Council hosted this evening. From his vantage point, he had watched as the Jedi padawan and her companions warned the Galacians of the First Order plan. And they were pretty spot on. Not exactly, but they had figured it out. How, Rogue had no idea. It was probably the blonde one--the lieutenant. She was too smart.

But now that the Resistance was aware and would surely send reinforcements, he knew the First Order wouldn't be able to take over this planet as easily as they did Celanon. They didn't have the element of surprise on their side this time. 

Rogue didn't doubt they'd succeed though. As he reached the bottom floor, he paused. With a quick look around to ensure that the coast was clear, he reached into his belt and pulled out a relatively small capsule. 

He pressed the button on the side and placed it on the ground. The top opened up, making a passage for tiny thumb size robots to come crawling out. Each had a slight luminescent glow to them that made them resemble stars as they skittered across the floor. Rogue crossed his arms, watching as the robots went out to do their job: find the nearest source of water and release the bioweapon. Upon completion of that, they were to self-destruct. It would be as if it never happened.

Satisfied, he picked up the capsule, and bounded up the stairs. Returning once more into the shadows of the night.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 88 8
Instead of Veronica Sawyer, there was Rose. Jessica Rose Jones, whom Jason Dean (JD) called Rosie, was just a girl trying to get through summer. But...
3.8K 148 19
Starla has finished the school year and returns with her cousins to Fablehaven. The Evening Star has infiltrated the preserve to look for a hidden ar...
9.6K 212 39
New on the Autobot base, the Ark? Ya better read this! This book is for both bots and humans, so tips may very depending on whose reading. Some of th...
5.2K 137 6
Discover how Rapunzel, Elsa, Merida and Anna meet Flynn, Jack, Hiccup and Kristoff formed their very different groups from high school into one amazi...