Twelve Dancing Princes

By glendasogo

Being a crown princess, with a selection of princes vying for your hand? What's the catch? Well, for one, lov... More

Sunday: Crown Princess Jenny
Monday: Princess Anne and Sir Raphael Hevn
Tuesday: Prince Aloysius
Wednesday: Crown Prince Kevyn
Thursday: Prince Raul
Glossary
Friday: Sir Timothy McKeagan
Saturday: Crown Prince Royce
Sunday: Prince Ross
Monday: Sir Raphael
Wednesday: Crown Prince Kevyn
Thursday: Sir Raul
Friday: Sir Timothy McKeagan
Saturday: Crown Prince Royce
Sunday: King Maximilian
Three months later: Raul
Four years later: Queen Jennifer

Tuesday: Prince Aloysius

5 1 0
By glendasogo

It's a bit weird seeing Al in my drawing room, alone without his noisy siblings. It's our habit to spend Tuesdays in Al's palace, but Uncle Isaac won't let me leave for the time being. It's a nice change, if you ask me. Though Al's mind a bit preoccupied to care.

"Must be an insider. How else could the chandelier fall at such a convenient time like that?!" He whispers from his teeth, eyes cautiously scan the room for eavesdroppers.

"Al, calm down. The investigation's underway."

"Promise you'll update me? Funny story, though. I did some digging and here's what I found: three years ago, the morning of your debutante ball, your horse was being drugged. Sure, it's only laxative, but Summer was being aggressive and harmed you nonetheless, right?"

"Well don't keep me in suspense. Who did it? And how did you know?"

"Well, it's not so much digging as listening in I guess. Your maids sure tittle-tattle a lot."

"Huh." I mean, it might as well be anyone at all. Our palace's packed as lots of royals came the day before the debutante ball. And, just ... it would not be the first time I received death threat; obviously not the last one either.

Al steals a glance at me. "You don't look so troubled."

"I am, I just ... try not to dwell in it."

It's a long minute before Al breaks the silence. "I'm so ashamed of myself, Jenny ...." Al sighs, his voice full of regret. "I was well far from the dais that night, but even so, I wonder if I have it in me to save you like Nap did, if I did have the chance."

I smile, gently place my hand in his. "Thank you for being honest with me, Al. And how could I possibly ask you that much? When I also refused to renounce my title for you."

"And I, you. But still. If it ever comes down to Nap or your kingdom, what will you choose?"

I couldn't care less.

I remember how Raul's words stung me that night. Then I remember him saving me. I just don't understand ....

"Are you absolutely positive he doesn't want ... this?" I gesture to the palace we're in.

Al shrugs. "To be honest, I don't talk to him that much. But Vince said he's just obtained his medical degree, and is to serve as an army doctor in Vince's medical centre starting next year. I'd say he's set."

A Magnemt's army doctor? How typical of him, huh .... So that's why he recognized my medical books right away. And the way he examined my leg wound .... I feel a pang in my chest that is clearly not jealousy.

"Okay, that's enough Nap for a Tuesday. Tell me, who do you think is the murderer? Any suspects yet? Right after that bastard child made an appearance, too. Don't you think it's too much of a coincidence?"

"Have you met him?"

"Who, the bastard child? It pains me to say this, but I think Primavara is wasted on him. Hmph, but it could be the only way for us to be together, so let's leave it at that."

"He has a name, Al. And what didn't you tell me?"

"Bastard, Brandon, same difference. And, uh ... Cass said ...." He looks hesitant.

"Cass said ...?"

Al suddenly stops to study me. "First tell me something, Jenny. If it's within your capability, do you want to fight your case?"

"Perhaps. I'd best see further how Brandon fares before making any decision."

Al shrugs. "Well, for what it's worth. Technically, your dad's older than your uncle. When he died, you were made first in line, but since you're still a kid, your uncle stepped up to serve as a regent just until you're of legal age. The council made him king, but .... See, it isn't impossible to win your birthright, Jenny. Especially if you fight against an illegitimate child, two years shy of eighteen years old."

Huh. True .... "Thank you. I might take your and Cass' advice, Al, but for now .... Let's just see how things unfold."

^^^

Later that night, I've been summoned by my dear uncle.

About time.

"Your Majesty, Her Royal Highness Princess Jennifer."

Uncle Isaac's private secretary Jack announces me as I step into his study, finding not only Uncle Isaac but also Raphael and Anne on the chairs in front on him, Raul on the side sofa. He beams when he sees me, but I walk straight to Raphael and pull him into a hug.

"Raph, I'm so, so, so sorry." I whisper my apology, not sure how much Jack knows.

Raphael chuckles softly, his demeanor never changes one bit. "No, Jenny. The acting up was necessary," he whispers back.

"It wasn't acting."

"Oh, huh. Awkward," says him, still with a smile that warms his eyes. "Raul told me you didn't even doubt my love for Anne. For that, I thank you, Jenny."

I let go of him, a bit annoyed. "You're really just going to stick with Raul? His name is Napoleon!"

Anne laughs. "It stays, Jenny. Deal with it."

"But—"

"Oh, shush. You fuss over the littlest thing." Uncle Isaac snaps, shifting the attention to him. Feet on the table, chair leaned back, and cigarette in his hand, I'd say he looks more like a gangster than a king. Only his small build gives him away.

I curtsy before start ranting. "Sue me for being petty, but I invented Raul!"

"Um, may I?" Raul speaks up. Everybody turns to him. "My parents invented Raul." He winks at my direction. Cheeky!

"But have anyone ever called you Raul, before me?"

"I'm saving it for you, princess."

"Okay, stop making me a fifth wheel! You guys are the worse, seriously." Uncle Isaac grumbles as he puts away his feet from the table. "Now, onto the more important thing. Close the door behind you, Jack." He shoos his private secretary away.

Jack bows to all of us before making his way to the door.

"So, what do we have here?" Uncle Isaac starts before the door's completely closed. "I've checked out Brandon and having second thoughts about the council."

"Who else still there?"

Uncle Isaac looks at me funny before realizing something. "Right. You weren't here before. July, Brandon's mum. Paige. Queen Donna, with whom you recently lunched with? And are we a hundred percents sure Wondera and Magnemt aren't involved?"

"Al's mum July??!" I practically shout. I look at Raul, but he just shrugs.

"Yep?"

"Can we talk about this? Last I checked she's a woman!"

Raphael groans. Anne sighs. Raul laughs. Uncle Isaac shouts back, "That's your biggest concern??!"

"Okay so she's also a close friend (before an enemy the moment she married into Magnemt), a dear wife to Prince Emmett, very charming, and only gave birth to twins, but. But! Uncle, you don't f*ck with women!"

"Oh my words, language!" Uncle Isaac glares at me, well annoyed. "Who taught you that? Jesus Christ. Go repent your sin or something."

"You're one to talk! Using that name to curse. And, pray, answer me at once!"

"I don't answer to you, young lady! And the conversation is over." He gives me this 'I'll tell you later' look, which shuts me up almost immediately. Raul raises his eyebrow but stays silent.

"Did you know that Summer was drugged the day I fell and sprained my ankle?"

"What? Okay, but does that relevant?" Uncle Isaac scribbles something in his notes. "I'll get back to you for this, Jenny. Anne, did you speak with Paige?"

"I didn't, but Jenny did."

"Yes, she seems ... innocent."

Uncle Isaac squints his eyes. "But ...?"

"I don't know if it matters, but she and Royce helped Brandon to get here."

He nods, already busy with his notes. "Might be useful later. So we're adding Royce."

"Uncle, why isn't Prince Gareth here?" I cut him abruptly, a bit annoyed with the fact that he cares about everyone but himself.

"Why should he?"

"Well you nagged about being a fifth wheel, and he's not on the list, so I don't see why—"

"Anyone who have yet to be a suspect is a suspect, Jenny." He dismisses me curtly.

"I trust him, Uncle. And I trust Prince Ross, too."

"That cheeky brat? How dare he asked for your hand before asking for my permission first??! Now we must talk about this!"

"No, she's right, Uncle. I trust Prince Gareth, too." Anne intercepts.

"Thank you, Anne. And it wasn't necessary, Uncle. I turned him down. He learnt his lesson. Moving on."

He inhales, like he's about to say something, but then turns to Raul instead. "Consider this your first and last warning, young lad. You are not proposing to Jenny before asking for my permission first."

"Uncle!" I cry in embarrassment.

"Noted, sir." But Raul just answers him calmly, before throwing me another wink.

For a moment I don't know what to think, before deciding to just carry on. "It's strange, though. Ross got this crazy idea of marrying me from an anonymous letter."

"A real lead! Finally." Uncle Isaac jots another something down.

"You know, we'll save time going in circles if we'd just have Prince Gareth here with us. He's the king of observing, after all."

Uncle Isaac scowls. "Fine, I'll ask him to come to our next meeting. If he's not too busy."

"He is never too busy for you, Uncle."

Now the king is blushing. But don't tell him that, or he'll be throwing another fit. Or you'll be thrown in jail, whichever he sees fit. Heh.

"What about Brandon's case?"

Uncle Isaac grimaces. "Yeah, about that ... I was outnumbered. They were so keen on making a random stranger their sovereign I started to think maybe he's not so random after all. I've failed you, Jenny ... I'm sorry."

"What are you talking about? He's your son! I totally understand if you want him to succeed you."

"Nah, Jenny. The crown's too heavy for him."

I smile bitterly. And it's not for me?

Uncle Isaac catches my eyes and smiles. "But all's well that ends well, right? Now you can be the surgeon that Primavara needs!"

I try my best not to return Raul's gaze. "Uh, you don't say surgeons are needed, Uncle. It's bad luck."

"Oh. You're right." Uncle Isaac nods. "Raph?"

"The butlers, maids, and guards don't look suspicious. Timmy, on the other hand ...." He steals a glance at me before continuing, "I'm sure it's nothing, but ... he looks restless these days."

"Try not to be alone with him next Friday, yeah?"

I nod. "And I don't know about the whole Magnemt, but I can guarantee Al's good." I smile at Raul, try not to think about where he will be next year. "Raul, too."

"I've got nothing from Jack, Anjum, and Katya, too." says Anne, ruling out our private secretaries.

"That reminds me. Sherry's been off the radar since that day. I thought at first she's just consumed by shame or guilt, seeing that she failed you, but until we hear from her ... I regret to say that I'm adding her to the list." Uncle Isaac gives me an apologetic look. "But I've assigned Randall to step up. Okay? Anything else?"

"Your Majesty? I ran out of excuses to stay." Raul says. "I'll be back on Thursday."

Uncle Isaac nods. "Please relay my deepest apologies to your king, Raul. And Prince Eirik." He pauses, then brightens the mood, "Now scram, you three. I have business with Jenny."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

330K 11.3K 54
Lady Isabella Victoria Parr isn't looking for a husband, but His Majesty is looking for a wife. When news arrives that King Edward's first wife has d...
18.4K 1.2K 56
[COMPLETED] She can save them all. Her people. Her kingdom. Her family. But only if she marries the king of the enemy. Hell breaks loose when 𝐈𝐌𝐎�...
58.6K 1.5K 41
Just as I go to slip into my room, the mysterious stranger places a hand on my waist and leans over my shoulder. "If I were the Prince I would only h...
191 2 18
Different universes, betrayal, love, and sadness. Buckle up loves!