The Other-worldly Protector

By Whiplash246

Previously titled "Take Flight on a Dragon" _________ The dragon growled, revealing a set of gleaming teeth... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Dragon Moors
Chapter 2: Led By Sound
Chapter 3: The Crystal
Chapter 4: Discovery
Chapter 5: Stranded
Chapter 6: A New Friend
Chapter 7: Where's Kiara?
Chapter 8: Pepper Spray
Chapter 9: Take Flight
Chapter 10: Speak to me
Chapter 11: Home Away from Home
Chapter 12: Whispering Fear
Chapter 13: Dark Deep
Chaper 14: Boulder
Chapter 15: Storm & Shelter
Chapter 16: Rhythm
Chapter 17: Melody
Chapter 18: Song
Chapter 19: Falling
Chapter 20: Thief!
Chapter 21: Three Months Later...
Chapter 22: Unexpected Visitors
Chapter 23: Unholy Offspring
Chapter 24: Nightfury?!
Chapter 25: Ryker
Chapter 26: Painful Consequences
Chapter 27: The Cost of Victory
Chapter 28: New Beginning
Chapter 29: Race to the Edge
Chapter 30: Silent Ears
Chapter 31: Interrogation
Chapter 32: Clifftop
Chapter 33: We've been tailed
Chapter 34: Training with Astrid
Chapter 35: The Dragon-Eye
Chapter 36: Robbie Returns
Chapter 37: Complications
Chapter 38: Thunder Ear
Chapter 39: Dragon Whisperer
Chapter 40: Living on the Edge
Chapter 41: To Berk or not to Berk
Chapter 42: This is Berk
Chapter infinity
43. Prince Petals
44. Heather
45. Meet up
46. Brother
47. Ambush
48. Edge of disaster
49. Changewing Down!
50. Shambles
51. We lost.
52. Funeral
53. No one blames you
54. You haven't been around here much
55. I have a plan
56. Everything accounted for
57. Tight schedule
58. Split ways
59. Trial and Judgement
60. Still apart
61. The Market
62. Oleander Field
63. Kuffnut
64. Reunion
65. Mala's Wrath
66. Her fault
67. Preparation
68. Arrival
69. A Walk with Viggo
70. A Talk with Viggo
71. When Adversaries Meet
72. Uncovering Secrets
73. Break free
74. Headstrong
75. Berk's Gold
76. Snotlout's treasure
77. Touching it
78. The Marble Project
79: You're one of them?!
80. Doomed Island
81. Not easy pickings
82. Long walks on the beach
83. How to Retrieve Your Dragon-Eye
85. Together and fighting
86. A Distant Connection
87. Untidy Trade
88. Back from the wizards
89. Heather's return
90. Hunter Friend, Spy Friend
91. The Deranged
92. Common frenemy
93. New Rider... or New Toy?
94. Lessons learned
95. Parting Gift

84. Evade

901 48 88
By Whiplash246

"It's Viggo," breathed Hiccup as the lead hunter's voice drew closer. Kiara barely heard the rider through the half-mask he wore, but there was no questioning the dire situation they were in. His eyes snapped to her. "Hide," he whispered.

They split. Kiara crouched behind the drawers next to the desk, where her small frame was tucked out of view of the entrance. Gripping his retracted sword, Hiccup slipped into the bedroom and waited in ambush. Kiara readied her staff but after a moment of thought, she placed it down and pulled out a small cylindrical object, gripping that instead. Her heart thrummed wildly in her chest, both terrified and shrieking at her for ending up here. Stupid fear... She shook her head, trying to rid herself of the haywire feeling. Just focus! She strained her ears to listen.

Viggo stopped speaking but his and one other's footsteps continued towards the tent. "Harald, were you listening?" Viggo asked after a moment.

"Ahem, sorry. Could you repeat what you said?" Kiara's eyes narrowed as she registered that voice: it was undoubtedly the Harald she knew.

Viggo sighed at his words and came to stand just outside the tent. With trembling movements, Kiara peered around the draws and saw his and Harald's shadow on the tent's fabric. The shadows were crisp and distorted since they were cast by the lantern Viggo held. "You're understandably tired," said Viggo. "Go to your quarters and rest well." Kiara scrunched her face, stupefied at the concern she was hearing in his voice, but that tone was swapped with his usual authority in the next instant. "I won't tolerate this level of distractedness from you again."

"Alright," Harald replied. "Goodnight." Kiara saw his shadow nod and retreat.

She snapped her head back as the tent flap was pushed open. Viggo walked in and the glare of his lantern filled the tent. His steps were quiet, but she heard them.

Hiccup launched at him, hilt raised for a swift knockout. The older man took a sharp breath, surprised, but reacted quickly. He stepped aside and, with a precise jab of his elbow, sent his assailant sprawling.

Viggo's eyes widened as he took in the masked man's prosthetic leg. "Hiccup?" he voiced.

"Eheheh," the rider chuckled nervously as he looked up at the hunter. "Surprised?"

"Surprised you'd walk to your death like this," Viggo replied coldly.

Hiccup scrambled to his feet and his blade snapped out of its hilt in a burst of flame. His Inferno.

Unfazed, the hunter took a moment to glance around. His gaze landed on the table. "Who's with you?" he wondered. Kiara felt a chill travel up her spine. She gripped her object tighter, preparing to strike.

"No one," Hiccup grunted and sprung forwards. The lantern in Viggo's hand shattered as he used it to block Hiccup's sword. Hiccup gasped at the sight of a fireworm falling out of the shattered glass. Discarding the lantern, Viggo drew his sword in a flash. Metal rung as Hiccup narrowly deflected Viggo's weapon.

"'No one', you say?" Viggo drawled, brow cocked. A swift sword strike was Hiccup's only reply. Viggo met it with his own. For a moment, the swords grated and sparks joined Inferno's flame.

Then Viggo kicked out, sending Hiccup flying and colliding against the desk with a yell of pain. Hiccup rolled backwards over the desk and landed on its other side before the hunter could reach him.

With the table between them, and the fireworm scuttling around behind him, Viggo spoke in a mocking tone: "So how did 'no one' leave these footprints on my desk, dear Hiccup?"

"Well peek-a-boo, then!" Kiara popped up beside Hiccup, pointed the object at Viggo and pressed her finger down.

Viggo roared as her well-aimed pepper spray hit his face. He recoiled with his free hand cupped over his eyes. Instantly, Kiara grabbed her staff while Hiccup retracted Inferno, and they both burst out of the tent. Kiara collided with someone who was about to run in. She stumbled back and looked up at the man she ran into. Her eyes met with Harald's and they both froze. The fireworm fluttered out and past them. Hiccup grabbed her arm and yanked her away. The pair began their wild dash to the woods.

The chief hunter staggered out of his tent with his eyes bloodshot and streaming. "Viggo?" Harald gasped. "Are you—"

"Which way did they go?" Viggo cut him off.

"I..."

Taking Harald's hesitation as ignorance, Viggo snapped his head away with an impatient growl. "Just raise the alarm!"

Meanwhile, the intruders sprinted between dark tents. "Why aren't we headed to our dragons?" Kiara hissed.

"We need to throw them off our scent first," Hiccup replied in a hushed voice.

Behind them, a horn was blown. Hunters woke and rushed into the open. The air filled with shouts and the glow of torches as the news of the intruders spread like wildfire. Their hunt began.

As the riders crossed into the woods, someone barked at them from alarmingly close. A patrolling hunter had spotted them. He gave chase. "Stop right there, you night-demons!" he shouted, closing in. Kiara scooped up a fist-sized rock and flung it at him. It struck his helmet and he collapsed. She guffawed, hardly believing that she had made that hit. "Nice aim," Hiccup remarked. Kiara saw a flash of his teeth in the fading torchlight. She grinned back. The woods were darkening around them as they sprinted away from the camp.

-

Ryker's sneer was highlighted by the flaming torch he held. He stomped through the busying camp, every footfall a testament to his rage. He hated when his sleep was disturbed and only Odin could help the ones who had woken him. All nearby hunters edged around him, knowing to keep their distance.

Ryker paused in his stride when a glimmer of orange caught his eye. Something on the forest's floor was glinting in his torchlight. He narrowed his eyes and stalked into the woods, towards it. Murmuring broke out among the surrounding hunters as they noticed the change in Ryker. Soon, every hunter in the vicinity was following behind the second-in-command. On approach, it became apparent to Ryker that the glinting object was a hunter's helmet, and that the one who wore it was slumped in the underbrush, face down and unconscious. He kicked the body. "Wake up," he barked. As the man stirred and rolled over his hand went to his forehead and he groaned. So, he was knocked out from the front. How stupid could he be? As the man sat up, Ryker caught sight of his face. It's Jasper. No wonder. "What happened 'ere?" Ryker demanded.

"Oh, sir!" Jasper said as he drunkenly scrambled to his feet, "The intruders! I almost caught them; I swear—"

"Save it! Where were they heading?"

"Oh, um." He pointed. "Northwest, sir."

Ryker faced the group that was gathered. "This way, Hunters!" he bellowed.

"Wait!" At the sound of Viggo's firm voice, the group of hunters parted and Viggo strolled through them. As he drew closer, Jasper let out a gasp. "He got sprayed! Just like you that day," he said excitedly to Ryker. "He got them puffy waterin' eyes and all, Sir! Remember—" Viggo gave him a sharp look and he gulped, becoming silent. Satisfied, the leader faced his brother.

"We head southeast," said Viggo.

"Are you mad?" Ryker shouted.

Viggo let out an aggravated sigh. "For how long have you been a commander, dear brother?" he said with disdain. "And yet you're still unable to read your opponent."

"I'll leave the readin' to you," Ryker muttered.

"Hiccup values his nightfury over everything," Viggo explained briskly. "He would attempt to lure us away from his dragon and then circle to it later. Besides, the forest southeast from here is more desolate: a perfect spot for a stowaway dragon or two. Now, brother, we've wasted enough precious seconds." Viggo spun on his heel and marched away. The cluster of hunters quickly followed their chief. Ryker paused before following behind the lot, the sneer never leaving his face.

-

Kiara groaned as she leaned against a tree and clutched her cramped side. She could hear Hiccup beside her, heaving breaths like she was. "We lost them," he said, his voice light with triumph. "Well, for now."

"Yep," she said, "and it only cost a ruptured lung or two."

"And with that charming visual," he snickered, "let's get to the dragons and get the hell out."

"Gladly."

Trudging forward, they felt their way through plants and trees. The branches above them were black splatters that blocked out most of the stars. No hunter came near, and their only company seemed to be a solitary owl who hooted now and then. It was... calm. The adrenaline dissipated from the rider's bodies and their hyper-awareness retreated with it, allowing them to get lost in their minds. The dark and quiet didn't feel as desolate as it should with the riders' unspoken thoughts crowding the air around them. Kiara bit her lip, debating on whether to apologise or not. The disaster she'd gotten them in was less than ideal. "It was necessary! I've finally got answers in reach," she argued with herself, "AND we made it out of there!" but even so she felt the all-to-familiar weight of guilt in her stomach.

"Why didn't he stop us?" Hiccup mumbled, barely louder than the twigs that crunched under their feet.

"Hmm?" Kiara glanced at him, forgetting her train of thought.

"The hunter you ran into," he replied, "he should have stopped us, but he didn't even attempt to... Why?"

Kiara held a branch as her feet shuffled over gnarled roots. When she was past them, she spoke. "That was Harald, the guy who told me that the dragon-eye held the crystal's secrets."

"And his words were true..." Hiccup trudged forward a few paces in thoughtful silence. "So, he's a friend?"

"Eh, he was. And then turns out he's a hunter. And then, THIS." She lifted her arms in a large shrug.

"He's a mystery," he said.

"Hmm." A thoughtful pause. "Not really."

"Oh, so you have him all figured out, huh? Miss detective?"

"Well duh, Sherlock," she said, smirking. "Anyway." She grew sombre. "From what I've gathered, Harald does what he believes is right. He gave me information because I saved his life and he felt he owed me. Even his job, he does for his family and tribe's wellbeing."

"He doesn't realise the suffering it causes," Hiccup agreed.

They reached a small creek and jumped across it, before continuing.

"Hiccup," Kiara said quietly. He hummed in reply. "I wish we could make them realise."

"That dragons shouldn't be caged, used and killed?" he clarified.

"Yes," she said with a single nod.

"Yeah." He sighed. "If only that would stop them."

"Why not?" she countered, frowning. "It stopped Berk, didn't it?"

"Berk never did it for profit," he explained. "Hunters do what they do for money. Throwing 'dragons are friendly if you leave them be' at them won't make a difference."

She huffed, not liking the hopelessness of that statement. Then her eyes softened and her gaze fell to the roots on the ground. "I wish you were wrong," she mumbled.

"I do too," he said in a whisper. The pair continued onto a patch of land where the trees were further apart, allowing the stars to peak in and scrutinise them. Kiara stopped in her tracks as a panicked voice entered her head. "Kiara, are you near?" Whiplash asked.

"I'm coming," she replied hurriedly. "Like 7 minutes away. What's wrong?"

"There's a swarm of them. They're coming towards us."

The sting of fear rushed through her limbs.

"Kiara?" said Hiccup as he shook her shoulder. She looked at him and could see his mounting dread just as he could see her's. As she forced the words out, the fear solidified into something cold and hard, gripping her heart. "The hunters are heading for our dragons," she said. "Too many..."

Hiccup's face paled. "Toothless can't fly," he said, stepping away. "He can't escape. He'll get— I need to—"

"Easy, Hiccup." She grabbed his arm, not sure if she was steadying him or herself. "He can defend himself."

"Yeah, yeah," Hiccup agreed shakily. "So can Whiplash."

"Yes. And she won't leave his side," Kiara assured.

"I've got his back," Whiplash promised, since her presence was still in Kiara's mind.

"She gives you her word."

Hiccup nodded.

The riders charged on, fueled by a force that would drive them through cramps and aching lungs like they don't exist, and armies like they mean nothing. The force was fear.

A different fear.

Fear of losing their better half.

______

HEY LONG TIME NO SEE BUT FORGET THAT

I WANNA TALK ABOUT HICCUP

He's like the sweetest, conflict-hating, wouldn't-hurt-a-fly soul. He could never kill on purpose. Dragon or human. He must never kill by accident either. I don't think he could live with that. So isn't it fitting that the only weapon he carries is one that cauterises any wound it as it inflicts it? So you can't bleed out and die from a (superficial) wound from it? To add to that, the sword is permanently sterile, what with all that burning monstrous nightmare gel, so no infected wounds are coming from that baby! Was this his intention all along?

My take: He's smart. He is capable. He could make and carry a bunch of different weapons to different missions—arrows shot like Batman Beyond's batarangs, spinning scythes, you name it—but he sticks with his one and only Inferno. It is awesome, don't get me wrong. But I like to think that Inferno's anti-fatal abilities are a major reason he sticks with it and nothing else.

To add to its anti-violence shtick, the thing has evolved a disarming gap by the second movie! no arms? no fights to the deaths.

booya B)

Sweet! Now a quick apology: soz for not letting u know before dropping off the grid for months (aGAiN). I just got snatched by Morpheus for a bit. (My college did not take it easy lol)

Stay safe and pay your respects to Chicken

till next time!

-Tan

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.1K 1.3K 17
Y/n has always been Hiccup's best friend. She has also always calmed the dragons around her, yet no one knows why (yet). She is the "sister" of Astri...
34.7K 883 14
It's been five years since Hiccup changed the minds of Berk, and everyone is happier for it. It's a more peaceful way of life, and it opens the doors...
460K 6.7K 41
A story about Hiccup and Astrid on Berk. They are now 21. Takes place after httyd 2. This is my first story ever so please don't hate. Sorry if I hav...
7.3K 273 92
I could feel a cold, icy gaze barrel straight through my soul. Actual crystal shapes frosted white marked the edges of the creature's vision. A lon...