Serendipity: Haikyuu Fanfic

By princeoftheskies

Serendipity (n.)- luck that takes of finding valuable pleasant things that were not looked for. Luck? To him... More

Strike One
Strike Two
Strike Three
Chapter 1: Pretty...Boy?
Chapter 2: Yuuma
Chapter 3: Two Confessions
Chapter 4: Compromise
Chapter 5: Compromise, Part Two!
Chapter 6: First Meeting
Chapter 7: Practice
Chapter 8: A Challenge
Chapter 9: Admirable
Chapter 10: Bad People
Chapter 11: Gym 4-A
Chapter 12: A New Friend
Chapter 13: Grand Scheme
Chapter 14: Trouble Follows
Chapter 15: A Familliar Face
Chapter 16: A Red Nose
Chapter 17: Vague Answers
Chapter 18: Midterms
Chapter 19: Winter Shennanigans
Chapter 20: Sleeping
Chapter 21: A Mysterious Garment
Chapter 22: A Fleeting Feeling
Chapter 23: Day at the Beach
Chapter 24: The Aftermath
Chapter 25: Flour-Attacker
Chapter 26: Interrogation
Chapter 27: Stranded
Chapter 28: Murder Time
Chapter 29: A Secret
Chapter 30: A Play
Chapter 31: One Bite
Chapter 32: Hanako-san
Chapter 33: Indebted
Chapter 34: First Bracket
Chapter 35: Next Year
Chapter 36: Broken Glass and a Hairline Fracture
Chapter 37: Loosely
Chapter 38: Amemori
Chapter 39: Go For It
Chapter 40: Poorly Thought
Chapter 41: For a Long Time
Chapter 42: From Now On
Chapter 44: The What Effect?
Chapter 45: Smooth, Kuroo
Chapter 46: Anything

Chapter 43: What If

209 10 0
By princeoftheskies

So... they got together. This is the cue where flowers bloom, and the clouds in the skies fade away. As the famous words for the ultimate close: they lived happily ever after.

Right?

Well, not quite.

"The rain still hasn't stopped huh..." Yuuma sighs. "So much for jumping out of the car."

Because of the traffic, Jun hastily left the car with several blocks from the destination.

Mr. Amemori looks wistfully at the sky, remembering the nostalgia in his teenager days. Wasting his time with mixers with some good friends, hanging out at batting cages and arcades. He was a scrawny teenager with very little self determination. That is, until he met his future wife at a fast food joint.

"You know the things love can do."  He says, "it changes you."

Yuuma lets out a humming noise, sounding unconvinced, tinged with amusement. He twiddles with his cartilage piercing before digging in his jacket pockets for a small cigarette box. He rolls down the windows of the car, "'must be nice..."

"I thought you said you'd quit?" Mr. Amemori questions. Yuuma replies with a grimace.

"I did. Just do for special occasions."

"... Alright. I can't stop you." Mr. Amemori sighs and stares at the exit of the gymnasium. Just at that moment, two figures emerged from the doors. He squinted, recognizing his daughter and... another guy.

Well, that's to be expected, right? But still, his outwardly appearance doesn't look quite trustworthy. Neverthess, Mr. Amemori looks at him inquisitively, watching his every move.

"Yuuma, What do you think of him?"

Yuuma, a a cigarette between his teeth, attempts to use the lighter on the tip of it. He flicks it once, twice — not even a drop of flame appears.

"Kuroo? Never had him as a student, but he wasn't ever in trouble."

"I don't mean of him as a student. You know what I mean."

Silence follows, just the sound of rain. Kuroo gestures at Jun and says something inaudible— Mr. Amemori doesn't recognize that oversized jacket on her before. Jun takes off the jersey jacket and hastily drapes it on top of her head as a makeshift umbrella.

Kuroo adjusts it by flattening the jacket down on her head. his mouth moving again — this time he cracks a sly grin. He places his hands together as if he was about to pray, mocking a saintly expression. Jun punches his chest lightly. This time, Mr. Amemori can hear Kuroo's boisterous laugh, followed by Jun's irritated voice:

"LIKE I LOOK LIKE A NUN TO YOU?"

The unlit cigarette falls from Yuuma's mouth, startled at her outburst. He chuckles quietly. "It looks like they're good together."

The day ended with Jun's mom giving her a lengthy lecture about taking risks within a reasonable amount of safety.

-*-

When the next day arrives, Jun arrives to the gym. Her eyes ... it is apparent that she lacked sleep the night before, the dull skin under her eyes almost sunken into the hollow of her skull.

Kenma, although glad to see her again, looks at her pitifully. He pokes at her forehead, as if she's some kind of alien specimen.

"You look... uh..."

"Terrible. I know." Jun yawns. Kenma poked her forehead mid-yawn, and she stumbles backwards — her back hitting someone's chest.

Oh?

It's none other than Kuroo. He doesn't fare so well either: his usual sly eyes weakened into a sleepy look. Still, he cracks a smile at both of them.

Why? Well, there was familiar giddy feeling Kuroo has felt before — that relentless exciting thought of your feelings returned. It was a long time ago, and yet Kuroo felt like a shy middle schooler again. After Jun's confession, his mind relentlessly wandered as he tried to sleep last night. He kept rewinding the imaginary tapes in his mind, relishing the flustered look on her face, the softness of her hand felt, and also that kiss —

"Hey, Kuroo." Jun greets.

"Hey." Kuroo ruffles her hair affectionately , as he usually does. "You're late, go get the net set up."

"Can't cut me some slack, huh?"

A seemingly normal conversation. And yet, Kenma's piercing eyes shifted back and forth, quietly observing them. Then — suddenly — it all clicks in his brain. He looks away, letting out an amused huff through his nose. "Congratulations."

Jun's face turns red. Kuroo waves both of his hands dismissively.

"Wait a sec—"

"We're not quite..."  Jun starts. Kenma looks at her expectedly.

"Explain to me then."

"It's sorta like a trial run." Kuroo says with a grin. "We're figuring it out too."

"Really?" Kenma looks at them, brows raised. To be honest, Kuroo seemed like the kind of person to be so eager for things to be official. Jun robotically nods in agreement to Kuroo's statement.

-*-

By Kenma's persistence, he had dragged Kuroo to the mall to purchase a new game. Kenma had intended to purchase it with his own money, but thanks to Kuroo's (un)timely confession, he had lost ¥2,000  to a bet with Yaku.

It was a collective, team-wide wager held behind the couple's backs several months ago. In the least, Yaku victoriously collected money from everyone in the team like it's damn Chinese New Years.

"I told you," Kuroo repeats. "Jun and I figuring things out."

Kenma snorts. Kuroo raises a brow.

"You look like you already know what you want."  Kenma points out.

Perhaps he does. Perhaps he doesn't. Why does he act like he can read Kuroo's mind? Kuroo couldn't even object — because he's right.

I think... I think I like you. Those were the words that she said. Even Jun's epiphany of liking Kuroo came to a shock to her, blurting it out in the heat of the moment. Unlike Kuroo, there was no time to process her own realization. To accept and recognize her feelings as real, and not a measly temporary crush.

Under the guise of having reservations about their relationship, Kuroo suggests a trial run for both of them to try— no strings attached. Even with his apparent non-committal attitude, it's a torturous, risky move. Kuroo's in too deep now. In reality, he patiently waits for Jun to come to the conclusion that — yes, yes I not only like you, but I want to be with you.

...But what if she doesn't?

"You think too much for the sake of other people." Kenma pauses considerably long before saying the next words quietly. "But you're not even honest with yourself. It's annoying."

"I've been told." Kuroo bitterly remembers Jun's harsh scolding from long ago. He hands his money over to Kenma. "Not in the mood to be psychoanalyzed right now."

Kenma reaches out to take the cash, but there's some resistance from Kuroo's end.

"It's necessary." Kenma retaliates firmly, successfully snatching the cash from Kuroo's grasp.

Kuroo frowns. "No it's not."

"Yes it is."

"No it's not."

"Yes it is."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.7K 1.2K 11
The third years graduated, and Kuroo went to study abroad. Kenma's a third year now, the captain of Nekoma Team. A lot has changed since he last saw...
91 13 12
"A world where soulmates are connected in some ways when they turned 15 years old. In which the other half can hear the voice of the other, while the...
835K 32.5K 25
โ€ผ๏ธUNDER EDITINGโ€ผ๏ธ "Will I ever be enough?" Y/n L/n had always been known as the "other L/n" to everyone. She's always been blessed with her wits, tho...
12.1K 516 18
" Can i love you just a bit more? This amount just isn't enough anymore." ๐Ÿ•น๏ธ***Because This Is My First follows the story of Kenma Kozume and Hinat...