UNDER

By KellyAnneBlount

***Optioned for film/TV by Komixx Media! More info coming soon!*** Selected by @Unfriended for the Best of Ho... More

Breaking News!
Chapter One - Two Weeks Earlier...
Chapter Two
Chapter Three - Part One
Chapter Three - Part Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Seven
Chapter Seven (Part Two)
Chapter Eight
My Birthday!
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten (Part One)
Chapter Ten (Part Two)
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Twelve (Part Two)
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen (Part One)
Chapter Fifteen (Part Two)
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen (Part One)
Chapter Nineteen (Part Two)
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-One (Part Two)
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three (Part One)
Chapter Twenty-Three (Part Two)
Chapter Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven (Part One)
Chapter Twenty-Seven (Part Two)
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty (Part One)
Chapter Thirty (Part Two)
Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Six

52.4K 1.9K 741
By KellyAnneBlount

Chapter Six

Hadley

Panic surged through my body as the sounds of sirens drowned out any semblance of rational thinking.

“It’s okay, ma’am,” reassured a calm female voice. “I’m Officer Kate Conner. I’m going to ride with you to the hospital.”

“What’s happening? What happened to me?” I screamed.

“You lost consciousness,” the woman said. “Don’t worry, you’ll be okay. We’re here to help you.”

My voice shook, “Someone followed me in the parking lot. They banged on my window.”

The woman laid a hand on my shoulder and gave a light squeeze. “A man from the gym was trying to return your water bottle. You left it in the on your treadmill.”

My jaw dropped and I inhaled sharply.

She squeezed my shoulder again. “He didn’t mean to scare you.”

A man with short brown hair and a slight bump in the bridge of his nose came into view. His crisp white shirt with short sleeves smelled like fresh rain and cedar chips. 

“We’re going to take good care of you, ma’am,” he said.

I remained speechless, my mouth still agape, as he slipped a blood pressure cuff over my arm and began squeezing the bulb.

“Blood pressure is 90/60,” he reported after loosening the cuff. “I need to check your blood sugar level, you’ll feel a slight pinch.”

I nodded as a tear slid down my cheek.

“Blood sugar is normal,” he stated.

“I- I- It was just an accident?” I asked, my voice thick with emotion.

“Yes, just an accident,” said Officer Conner.

The single tear turned into an unstoppable flood. “I’m such an idiot,” I said in between sobs.

“Blood sugar is normal,” said the EMT as he wrote it down on a chart.

Nausea crept into my core and spread rapidly. “I don’t feel so good,” I mumbled. “I think I’m going to get sick.”

“Feeling nauseous is typical after fainting,” said the EMT. He pointed to a hanging bag filled with clear fluid. “I’m going to hook you up to this IV. That should help subdue the nausea.”

Officer Conner’s radio crackled.

“Can I call anyone for you?” she asked. “To come meet you at the hospital.”

I closed my eyes and tried to stop the tears from flowing.

“Ma’am,” she said with a frown, “Is there anyone I can call for you? Perhaps a family member?”

My heart stung with pain. The last time my family had received a call from a police officer was the night of the crash. I cannot put my mother through that again. They cannot find out about this…

“Or maybe a boyfriend or friend,” said the police officer, picking up on my hesitation.

“I have a friend, Scarlet. You could call her,” I said quietly.

***

“Oh my God,” said Scarlet with wide eyes. “Hadley! What happened?”

I clutched the hem of the thin blanket the nurse had brought me. “I’m so sorry. I didn’t want to bug you, but I just couldn’t let them call my mom or dad. I was worried it would bring back memories of the crash.”

Scarlet threw her purse in the chair next to the bed and wrapped her arms around me. “Don’t ever apologize for calling me! Now, please, tell me what happened.”

I managed to keep the tears at bay while I recounted the night’s events.

“Oh, sweetie,” said Scarlet. “That’s terrible!”

I shrugged my shoulders. “I feel so stupid. The poor guy was just trying to return my water bottle.”

Giving me an empathetic smile, Scarlet put her hand on top of mine. “I think you need a break. Maybe a mini-vacation?”

“I don’t know,” I said, “I already used almost all of my vacation time after Hudson…” I trailed off. I couldn’t bring myself to say it.

“How about this,” said Scarlet. “Take Friday off and we’ll go up to the Dells.”

I scrunched my nose. “The Dells?”

“Yeah,” she said with a smile. “Imagine a whole weekend of floating on the Lazy River and drinking strawberry daiquiris by the hotel pool.”

A faint smile crossed my face and then quickly faded. “Are you sure you still want to hang out with me?”

Giving me another hug, Scarlet nodded. “Of course I do!”

***

“Well, Miss Jasper, your blood work appears normal,” said a lanky doctor in a stark white lab coat. “After this last bag of saline is gone, you can go home.”

“Okay,” I said as I tugged on the plastic identification bracelet around my left wrist.

“I would like you to follow up with a cardiologist. We have an excellent heart specialist team right here at the hospital. The sooner you can get these tests done, the better.”

Sitting up straighter, I met his gaze. “I just got scared and passed out. I didn’t think it was a big deal.”

The doctor set the chart down on the end of my bed. “You have vasovagal syncope, a type of fainting that occurs due to severe phobias or fear.”

“Yeah, I passed out because that guy scared me,” I said.

“Miss Jasper, your chart notes some major life events over the past few months.”

I looked down at my hands and bit my lower lip.

“I also see that you’ve recently switched medications because of some unpleasant side effects you were experiencing.”  

Pressing my lips together, I waited for him to continue.

“You’ve experienced a lot recently along coupled with some serious medical events. I think it’s best if you follow up with a specialist as quickly as possible, in order to rule out any underlying conditions.”

My cheeks burned. “Sure,” I replied quietly, “I’ll make an appointment right away.”

He gave a curt nod. “Very good. In the meantime, if you have any questions or if you experience another vasovagal syncope event, please come back in.”

“I will,” I said.

The doctor picked up the chart. “I’ll have the nurse take out your IV as soon as it finishes. It should only be about ten more minutes.”

***

“You don’t have to stay over, Scarlet,” I said after taking a big sip of wine.

She lightly punched me in the shoulder. “Shut up.”

I tossed a pillow and a lavender colored blanket toward her. “You deserve the best friend of the year award.”

Scarlet dropped the blanket and pillow on the sofa, followed by a long drag of merlot. “One day, when someone stomps all over my heart or something tragic happens, I know you’ll be there for me. It’s what friends do.”

Before I could respond, someone knocked on the door.

 “Mmmm! The pizza is here,” said Scarlet with a smile.

“Extra cheese and loads of jalapeños,” I said. “You do know you’re the only person who will eat that combination with me?”

“That’s because I’m simply amazing,” she said, giving her a wink.

We both broke out into laughter as I grabbed four one-dollar bills off the counter. “Scar, it feels really good to laugh. Thank you for being my friend.”

“Don’t you mean best friend?” she asked.

We both laughed again.

“Of course!”  

Knock, knock, knock.

“Coming,” I shouted right before swinging open the door, accidentally letting it fly back a bit too hard.

“Whoa!” shouted the pizza guy as he dropped the padded bag containing the pizza.

“Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry,” I said apologizing profusely.  

“You about scared me to death,” said the man, flashing an uneasy smile with dimples in both cheeks.

“I’m sorry,” I said again.

We both bent down to pick up the pizza, bumping heads in the process.

“Ouch,” I exclaimed as I tumbled backward, hand on my forehead.

The placed his hand on top of his short blond hair, his bright blue eyes widening. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, yeah, I’m okay,” I said.

“Here,” he said, extending his hand forward. “Let me help you up.”

His hand felt warm as he pulled me to my feet. “I’m so sorry. Are you sure you’re okay? You don’t have a concussion or anything, do you? Do you think you need to go to the hospital?”

The questions tumbled out of his mouth so fast I could barely follow.

“I’m okay, I promise,” I said with a faint smile. “Plus, I’ve already been to the hospital tonight.” I held my arm up and waving the plastic identification band back and forth.

“Oh no!” he said, his face turning a deep shade of crimson. “What happened?”

I quickly looked away, my cheeks burning in response.

“Damn, what am I thinking just asking you that? I usually don’t act like such an idiot.”

“Um, it’s okay,” I mumbled. “I just passed out after I left the gym.”

“Syncope? That can be really serious, you should follow up with a cardiologist.”

I arched an eyebrow. “Thank you, Doctor Pizza Man.”

The concern on his face vanished and was instantly replaced with a hurt expression.

Realizing what I had done, I slapped my hand to my mouth. “I didn’t mean that the way it sounded.”

He pressed his lips together, the smile gone.

I dropped my head in shame. “I’m sorry.”

He shoved the pizza box into my hand. “It’s fine.”

Accepting the box, I handed him the cash. “That- that’s your tip.”

“Just need you to sign the receipt and I’ll be on my way,” he said curtly.

“I’m really-” but before I could finish, he held up his hand.

He tilted his head to the side. “It’s not a big deal.”

Without saying another word, I signed the receipt.

“Thank you,” he said, before turning on his heel and spinning around.

With the pizza box in hand, I walked into the living room and plopped it on the coffee table.

“That,” Scarlet said before pausing, “that was weird.”

“Right?”

She handed me a plate. “Here, eat some pizza. You’ll feel better.”

Opening the lid, I slid two pieces on to the bright blue plate.

“Want to watch a movie?” asked Scarlet.

I twisted my lips. “I can’t do anything serious.”

She grabbed two pieces and settled into the cushy sofa. “How about The Goonies?”

“Perfect.”

I grabbed my iPhone and turned on the Apple TV. After a few taps on the screen, the movie came to life.

“Hey, it’s Josh,” said Scarlet. “Do you mind if I talk to him for a few minutes?”

I shook my head and shooed her away with my hand.

After a few minutes passed, I paused the movie. She can’t miss the Truffle Shuffle.

Scarlet giggled from down the hall. I shook my head. I’ve been a terrible friend. Scarlet and Josh had been dating for the past two months and I barely knew anything about him. I should really- but before I could finish, a knock interrupted my thoughts for the second time that night.

Getting up, I walked to the door and peered out the peephole. Goosebumps erupted over my skin as I stared at the empty scene in front of my door. I reached for the lock, my fingers brushing against the cold metal. No, don’t do it! What if someone is out there? I thought to myself. No! I balled my fists and shook my head. No! No! I’m not going to be this fragile little girl anymore! The one everyone is scared will break at any moment. Taking a deep breath, I forced my trembling fingers up to the lock and turned it with a quiet click. Being careful not to swing the door open to quickly, I gave a short tug and peered through the crack.

“Hello?”

No response.

“Hello? Is anyone there?”

I pulled the door back further and looked to the left and then the right. I fought the urge to scream and slam the door shut. Chill out, Hadley! It was probably jut the wind!

My hand not leaving the handle, I stepped on to the doormat.

Nothing. No one was there.

Shaking my head, I stepped back into the house, pulling the door handle with each step. Suddenly and without warning, it caught and I couldn’t shake the resistance. “What the-” I spun around, my eyes wide with fear as they landed on four fingers wrapped around the edge of the door. A scream erupted from my lips as I pulled at the door, desperately trying to shut it.

An anguished cry cut through air, as the fingers remained trapped between the door and the doorframe.

A moment later the body belonging to the fingers heaved against the door, pushing it back several inches. The fingers instantly disappeared, only to be followed by loud thump.

Slamming the door and turning the lock, I spun around and screamed, “SCARLET! HEEEEELP!”

---------------------------

Phew! That was an intense chapter! Took me a bit to get that right! I hope you love it as much as I do! 

As always, please excuse any errors you may encouter, as this work has not been edited at this time. 

Kelly Anne Blount xoxo

P.S. Don't forget to come say, "Hi!" on Facebook (www.facebook.com/kellyanneblount) and/or Twitter (@KellyAnneBlount)! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110K 2.2K 25
The moment his eyes lands on her, he's all determined to make her his. He gets and keeps her against her will. But what he doesn't know is that, the...
62K 1.9K 26
' 𝗒𝖺𝗇𝖽𝖾𝗋𝖾! 𝖿𝖾𝗆𝖺𝗅𝖾 π—Œπ—π–Ίπ—…π—„π–Ύπ—‹ 𝗑 𝖿𝖾𝗆! 𝗋𝖾𝖺𝖽𝖾𝗋. βͺ 𝐈𝐍 π–π‡πˆπ‚π‡ , 𝖺 π—π—ˆπ—†π–Ίπ—‡ 𝗍𝗁𝖺𝗍'π—Œ 𝖻𝖾𝖾𝗇 𝗁𝗂𝖽𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝗁𝖾𝗋...
11.5K 587 55
Two hundred and fifty years after the world ended and the vampire's reign began, Hadley's pregnant mother Aadya, and her mother's sister, Aunt Zenobi...
70.1K 2.4K 25
Haunted by memories, a thief reluctantly leads a group of survivors to escape a city filled with horrors. But the journey isn't easy. Desperate stran...