The Lost Son | Ferry's Tale #...

By angelapoppe

"People in this town are more bound to fairies than they want to admit..." These words have been haunting Fer... More

The stranger
Changes (part one)
Changes (part two)
The nicest son alive
The mark
Under suspicions
First time
The blurry future
The maze
The last room on the third floor
Secrets, lies, and fireflies (part one)
Secrets, lies, and fireflies (part two)
Secrets, lies, and fireflies (part three)
The house of dust
Between the lines
Missing pieces
The match
Behind closed doors
Tangled threads
The guest
Fresh snow
The lullaby
Behind the window
Peeking through
The light inside the darkness
The lake house
Issues
Signs of springs, signs of storm (part one)
Signs of spring, signs of storm (part two)
Storm clouds
On enemy field
The Spring Fling
Confessions
Until my time shall come
Love marks (part one)
Love marks (part two)
Dinner with friends
Letting go
Eyes wide open
In the name of friendship
Shadow of a memory
Clashes
The disappearance of Bianca Knight
Whispers of the past
The end of spring
Residues of a heart
The good hearts of Goodharts
White blood
In the shadows
The fairy hunt
Endings. Beginnings
The gifts
Farewell to home
Top 10 best moments in THE LOST SON
FAQ

Noble blood touched by true love

6.8K 774 854
By angelapoppe

After returning from the Town Hall, Ferry and his father both sat down at the kitchen table. They used to gather around that table every morning when Eileen was still alive. Peter had tried to clean the house as much as he could. He had thrown away the rotten food that had gathered in the kitchen and opened the windows for fresh air.

They were sitting at the table without saying a word and avoided looking at each other. Ferry tried to remember when he had the last conversation with his father, just the two of them. He couldn't remember.

It was his father who broke the silence. "Listen, Ferry, I've never done this before.... Being a father, you know? I don't expect to make it work from the beginning. I will probably have a lot of work to do," he tried to joke. "I know I wasn't  a good father. Hell, I wasn't a father at all. But I want you to know that I'll try. And that anything you decide, I'll try to be there for you. Your mother — Your mother would have liked that ..." he said in a low voice.

Ferry tried to swallow the lump in his throat that appeared every time he thought of his mother."How was she? Mum... When you met her. "

His father smiled. "She was the happiest girl I've ever met. Nothing could have saddened her. Not even the hard life she was living. She came from a noble, wealthy family. The O'Donovan family. They even had a castle, once. But they lost everything before Eileen was born. The girl was hardworking and bright since she was little. So her parents made great sacrifices to send her to school. Of the five children, she was the eldest. And the only one who attended school. Her family had high expectations of her. And she had done everything she could not deceive their expectations. Until-- "and his father sighed deeply, "until she met me. "

Ferry saw his father's eyes become sad.

"She did not meet me at a very good time in my life. But she believed in me. She thought I could change. I thought so, too. Of course, her family did not agree. They threatened her with all sorts of things. But she didn't give up on me. She gave up everything for me. I wonder if I deserved her love ... " he said and his eyes filled with tears.

"Why did you take her name? Donovan? " Ferry asked. "I don't think it was a coincidence you both had the same name."

His father shook his head. "It wasn't a coincidence. There are no coincidences in life. I needed a new life. I needed to leave the past behind ... "

"What do you mean?"

His father sighed again. "I was in prison before I met your mother. Nothing serious. Small thefts and frauds. I was young and stupid and I came across the wrong people. So I needed a new name so I could lead a normal life. So that those mistakes not follow me all my life. People who have been in prison find it difficult to move on. And I could hardly win anyone's trust. So I got your mother's name in marriage. I haven't stolen since. I swear I never stole again, "he said, looking him straight in the eye. "At least I kept that promise. Then I found the ad in the newspaper and got here. The new chance. I took advantage of it. But my real chance was when I met your mother. I can see it now ... "

"Did you love her?" Ferry asked after a while.

Peter wiped away his tears. "Not as much as she deserved. Not as much as she loved me. "

Then he got up slowly and left the house without saying anything. Ferry heard the workshop door creak slowly, then the sound of the planer on the wood. 

*

That night, he finally managed to sleep. No dream haunted his tired mind. he might have slept until morning if he hadn't heard a rustle in the corner of the room. Since Ferry slept like rabbits anyway, he jumped to his feet from the first noise. Someone was watching him from the shadows.

"Who's there?" whispered Ferry.

A girl came out of the shadows. She wore a straw hat that covered her face, and her red hair fell to the ground. Her white dress almost shone in the dark. Oona.

"Oona, what are you doing here? Did something happen?"

She shook her head. "I just wanted to see you. You haven't been to Lavender in a long time. "

"I just saw Lavender yesterday ..."

"Yes, but you never came to see me again," she whispered. "I missed you, fairy-boy."

Ferry thought he hadn't heard well. "What did you call me?" Oona, do you remember me? Did your memories come back? "

She remained motionless. "Of course. That's why I'm here. To tell you that I remember you. "

Ferry stepped closer. Her eyes gleamed under the hat.

"Oona, you don't know how happy this makes me... After what happened, I needed it."

But she didn't move this time either. Her voice sounded flat. There was no emotion. Ferry thought maybe she was as troubled as he was.

"But how?" he wondered. "I thought the memories are forever lost once you pass through the Valley of Oblivion."

She shook her head. "Not when you really care about someone."

Ferry took her hand and led her to his mother's rocking chair. "Come. Take a seat. Tell me everything. How did it happen? Does Lavender know? "

Oona slowly sat  in the rocking chair, but did not begin to sway as Ferry would have expected. Ferry sat down on the couch next to it. He wanted to turn on the lamp, but she stopped him."Don't. I like to see you like that, in the moonlight. "

Ferry remained on the couch, his senses sharp. Something was wrong.

"Don't you want to go to Lavender? We can fly there. You remember you can fly, right? We'll be there in a blink of an eye. "

But she shook her head. "No. I'll tell her in the morning. I wanted to tell you first. And I wanted to tell you that-- "

"What?"

"I remember everything. I remember what happened in Tenalach. I remember your powers. And the Moon's Tear. Where is it now? "

Ferry frowned. "I don't know. Only three people know where it is. I'm not one of them. "

"But do you know who the Keeper might be?"

"No...""Do you have any suspicions?" she insisted.

"The Tear is probably already in Akna."

But she shook her head. "It's not. It's here, in this town. I can feel its power growing. "

"Why would it be here?"

"Because it must be somewhere around you, fairy-boy. Can't you see? In case you need it. "

"I never thought about that ..."

"Do you ever think of anything other than your human friends?" she hissed.

Her voice surprised him. Ferry could see her eyes in the shadows watching his every move. It was as if she had no patience.

"Why this sudden interest in the Moon's Tear, Oona?" he asked, looking at her intently.

She got up to her feet. "I have to go."

But he was faster. He grabbed her hand before she walked away. He could feel her cold, slippery hand pulling off of his hand. Her skin was as damp as snake skin.

"The power of the Tear is growing," she hissed. "With a drop of noble blood touched by true love, it shall reach unprecedented powers. He who possesses it will become invincible. "

Then she hurried away to the exit and slipped through the door. Ferry ran after her. But when he reached the front yard, she was nowhere to be seen.

*

Ferry flew like the wind to Lavender's house. He started calling for Oona as he entered.Lavender came down with sleepy eyes. "Ferry, it's three o'clock in the morning. What happened? ""Oona, I need to talk to her. " Did she got here?"

Parsley appeared as well.

"What are you talking about?" Lavender asked. "Get from where?"

Ferry heard a squeak at the end of the stairs. Oona came down, rubbing her eyes. She was wearing one of Lavender's nightgowns. Ferry looked at her as if he had seen a ghost.

"Ferry, Oona has been here all along."

Ferry couldn't understand anything, anymore. "It's not possible. I just talked to her. She came to my house. She said she remembered everything. "

All three surrounded him.

"Ferry, no one regains their memories after passing through the Valley of Oblivion. I thought you knew that, " Lavender told him.

"But she came to my house. I talked to her... She looked the same as Oona, yet somehow different, " he said, rubbing his forehead with his fingers.

"What did she tell you? What did she want? "

"She was talking about the Moon's Tear. She wanted to know who was guarding it."

"What did you say?" Lavender asked, suddenly becoming restless.

"The truth ... That I don't know who that is."

Lavender and Parsley breathed a sigh of relief.

"It must be a shapeshifter," Parsley said. "But who?"

"She said something strange," Ferry said, frowning. "A drop of noble blood touched by true love. What does it mean?"

Lavender came closer to him. "Are you sure she said that?"

Ferry nodded. 

"It has to do with the Tear. It's a strong stone. Not only does it activate the Spear of Justice. But if the stone is touched by someone of noble blood, be it a man or a fairy, someone who knew genuine love, then the power of the stone grows, " Lavender said, frowning.

"What does it mean to be touched by noble blood?" Ferry asked.

Lavender hesitated for a moment. "It means blood sacrifice," she said at last. "It means that someone seeks to activate the Tear and sacrifice someone with noble blood to increase its force. Once it grows, he who possesses it becomes... almighty."

Parsley began to walk from one end of the room to the other. "I wish the others would come. I wish we weren't alone... "

"They have not yet completed their mission in Tenalach. Otherwise, they would already be here. And Thyme has to travel through the world of humans. The doors between the worlds are no longer secure. They are guarded by the enemy. "

"Yes, but Ferry is the only one with noble blood in this town. What if they are watching him? How can we protect him? "

Upon hearing Parsley's words, Oona knelt in front of Ferry and took his hands in hers. "Please move back here, Ferry," she begged. "I don't want anything bad to happen to you ..."

"Nothing bad will happen to me, Oona. I'll take care of that."

"Oona is right, Ferry. You're safer here. Your father can't protect you. He doesn't know what forces he's dealing with. "

Ferry rose to his feet. He looked out the window. Outside, the dawn was breaking. "I can't. I promised my mother I would find her son. "

Parsley stepped closer. "Ferry... I thought you let go of this," he said softly.

"I can't, Parsley. I promised Mum. I'm going to— I'll go to the Big City to look for him when school is over. "

"Ferry, don't you understand how dangerous it is?" Lavender said. "For all of us. But especially for you... I don't care about the fate of Akna anymore. I only care about you, "she said, putting her hand on his arm.

But he shook his head. "I can't stay here, Miss Lavender. I just can't. I can't find my peace. I can't do anything else until I find the lost son of the Donovans. It was my mother's last wish ... "

Lavender and Parsley looked at each other in despair. They knew they couldn't stop him.

Parsley took a deep breath. "Be here tomorrow night, after work. You need to prepare for the trip. I'll go with you. "

*

The summer holiday was not awaited as before. The town was numb under the hot blanket of summer days. There was no sign in the air announcing any change. The search for Ben's sister stopped. The only ones still hoping were those who knew about the searches that were still taking place in Tenalach. But the lack of any news easily brought uneasiness which took the place of hope.

Every day after work, Ferry would come to Lavender for Parsley to prepare him for the trip to the Big City. The trip was to take place as soon as possible. Within a week, the town was closing in, preparing for the Quest. And no one could come or leave.

Fortunately, New Hope Orphanage where the Donovan baby was taken was situated on the outskirts of the city, so Ferry and Parsley would practically not reach it. All the creations shaped by the human mind and meant to make their lives easier only weakened the powers of a fairy.

They would travel there by train carrying timber from the sawmill, the only one to reach Goodharts. Then they would walk to the orphanage since Parsley could not fly.

But before that, Parsley wanted to show him something else. They were behind Lavender's house. Ferry wondered why they were both looking at the back wall of the house. It was the only wall on which climbing plants did not grow. Parsley told him about a power that every fairy possessed, but which was sometimes forbidden by the Book of Fairies — how to get through walls.

"You see, Garrett, you must know that you can only go through things. And if you try to go through something that's alive, your being can merge with that being. A tree, for example, is alive. And you can stay that way forever. That's how the dryads were born. From a fairy merged with a tree. "

And saying that, Parsley approached the wall and raised his hand. Then he closed his eyes and touched the cold surface. His hand went invisible inside the wall. Parsley then stepped forward, becoming one with it. Ferry ran inside and found him inside. Parsley smiled at him as if he had done a magic trick that only he could master.

"You make everything seem so easy," Ferry told him.

"It is easy when you give up everything and focus only on that. Now come. It's your time to try, too," he encouraged him.

Ferry followed him outside. They were in front of the back wall again. He touched the cold surface kissed by so many rains and winds, that their traces were carved into the river stone from which James, Lavender's husband, had built the house so long ago. He closed his eyes and felt as if the traces that the old time left behind were like a ghost that cannot find peace, clinging to memories.

But his hand clung to the wall which seemed to become colder and harder, keeping him from knowing its secrets.

"You have to imagine that there is a bridge on either side of the wall you have to cross," he could hear Parsley's voice behind him.

Ferry closed his eyes and tried to imagine the bridge Parsley was talking about. But the thought fled to his mother again and to the journey that awaited him. He pressed his forehead to the surface.

"What stops you from releasing the powers that lie within you, Garrett?" Parsley asked slowly.

"I don't know ..." Ferry whispered, feeling so small and helpless. "Everything that has happened lately... everything that is still happening and what will happen... I'm afraid ..."

"Is it fear?" Parsley asked in a low voice. "Or maybe deep down, just the desire not to go on... Not to leave everything you know and love behind."

Ferry didn't answer. He pressed his forehead against the cold wall as if waiting for an answer from the stones that lived for so long.

"There will come a time when you'll have to let go, whether you want it to or not," Parsley said. "You have to embrace change whether you like it or not. Time moves on, and you can't resist time," he added slowly. Then he walked away, leaving him alone with the thoughts and whispers of memories dug into the stone.

*

They left that very night, leaving Lavender and Oona worried and afraid. Parsley was dressed again in his overcoat and detective hat, the only ones that could hide his true nature.

They snuck on the freight wagon of the train that was going to the Big City. The train was empty now. When the train left, Ferry closed his eyes. His sleep was gone again, though his eyelids felt like lead. He never traveled by train before. He never left Goodharts before. Thoughts drove away his sleep altogether. He looked at Parsley who was lost in thought, caressing a colorful shawl. Rosemary's shawl. And Ferry thought he was not the only one longing for a loved one. Somehow, his pain was shared by everyone he loved. Parsley missed Rosemary.  Lavender missed her children she hadn't known about for years. Ben was still looking for Bianca. Ferry had seen him many times in the evening, walking in the woods and guarding the standing stone from the Round Meadow, the door between the worlds. And Matilda... Ferry hadn't met her since his mother died. Did she miss him at least half as much as he missed her? Or was she waiting, just like the others, for something to happen. And the circle to close, in one way or another.

They arrived in the Big City at dawn. They jumped off the train because they didn't want to be seen by the people around the station. Parsley led him on country roads to the orphanage. They were surrounded by fields of wheat as far as the eye could see. The houses were scattered here and there, and a man showed up from time to time, with a hoe on his back. Ferry expected to see cars, tall buildings and people dressed in modern clothes as he had seen on television. But the roads were deserted and dusty, and the houses appeared at a corner of a road, run-down and sad.

They reached the gates of New Hope Orphanage. It was a gray building, consisting of three square bodies. The gates were high and rusty, with an emblem representing a tree in the middle. Parsley pushed them hard, and the gates opened with a long creak like a wail.

Old trees shaded the front yard and flowers grew in order on either side of the alley leading to the front door. Somewhere in the distance, a baby cry was heard, and Ferry shuddered at the thought of how much the Donovan baby must have cried on the cold steps of this place, alone and deserted.

They climbed the high, cracked stairs of blunt stone, and Parsley knocked hard on the door with the peeling brown paint. It was opened by a small woman with a headscarf, dressed in a white robe. He was leaning against a broom.

"May I help you?" she asked, studying Parsley who was trying to hide his face under his hat.

"We want to talk to someone who worked here seventeen years ago," Parsley said. "We're looking for a child who was brought here then."

The woman invited them inside. The lobby was large and cool. A smell of chlorine stung their nostrils.

"I didn't work here back then," she told them. "But you can talk to the warden. Follow me."

Parsley and Ferry looked at each other for a moment, then watched her. The woman stopped in front of a massive leather-upholstered door. Se knocked, and when a harsh voice answered, she opened the door for them to enter.

The warden of the orphanage was a massive, black-haired man sitting at a desk as large as him, on a leather armchair wide enough to fit him. To his right, a fan blew cold air, but not cold enough because the warden had to dab his sweaty forehead with a handkerchief.

"May I help you?" he asked without getting up and without inviting them to sit.

"We're looking for a child who was brought here seventeen years ago," Parsley said. "A blond baby with blue eyes, around one-month-old."

The director narrowed his eyes. "And why do you need this information?" he asked.

"Because we found his real father. And he would like to meet him ... "

The man got up and walked to a file closet where he began to search. He then sat down at his desk and began to study a file.

"Mister--" he said, looking at Parsley. The fact that he wore a hat and overcoat on such a hot day made the whole visit seem even more suspicious.

"Izz-- Izzard," Parsley said quickly.

"Mr. Izzard," said the warden, "the child you are interested in was adopted shortly after he arrived here. As you can see, the data you are asking me for is confidential. The adoptive family did not want him to know he was adopted. So I can't give you any information on that."

"You can at least give us the address. We don't want to talk to the boy except with their consent," Ferry said.

The director shifted his gaze from Parsley to Ferry.

"What is your relationship with the child?" he asked.

"We're brothers," Ferry said.

"Cousins," Parsley said at the same time.

The warden narrowed his eyes again. He closed the file. "I am sorry. I can't help you. Now, if you don't mind, I have a lot of work to do. Good day, gentlemen, "he added, and began to write something without minding them.

Parsley and Ferry left the office just as puzzled. The woman in the white robe was waiting for them by the front door.

"Go to the building on the left, in the basement," she whispered. "Ask about Agnes, the washerwoman."

Parsley and Ferry thanked her and hurried out. The heat was already growing. They went into the building on the left, darker and colder than the one in the middle. They descended winding stairs and entered a large room that smelled of damp and mold. Several women in white caps and aprons took out laundry from washing machines that filled an entire wall. 

Parsley asked about Agnes and one of the women pointed to an old, fat woman washing clothes in a large bowl full of foam.

The woman turned heavily and measured them from head to toe. It was hot and humid in the room. She motioned for them to accompany her outside. The woman sat down on a bench next to a long clothesline and lit a cigarette. She blew perfect rolls of smoke.

"Greta told me you were looking for the prince," she said in a thick voice.

"The prince?" Ferry wondered.

"I remember as if it were yesterday. I found him that morning. When he was brought, the child was wrapped in a garment of the finest silk. I couldn't even feel it in my hand, as if it were made of air. And it was sewn with a shining thread like gold. I didn't know how to read the sewn signs. They were in a foreign language. He was such a beautiful child," she said, blowing the smoke up. "Blond, with clear blue eyes. You could swear he was taken from the pages of a magazine, mark my word."

Ferry and Parsley exchanged a meaningful look.

"Did you see who brought him?" Parsley asked.

"Not. But I saw who took he. "

Ferry felt his heart pound. "Who?" 

"Two men. Filthy rich, I could tell. They got out of a car as black and shiny as a mirror. I could see my mustache in it," she laughed and her laughter turned into a strong cough. "They both wore the most expensive clothes I've ever seen. And they smelled like the finest cologne. I think their perfume was felt in the orphanage for three days after they left."

"What did they look like?" Ferry asked.

"Young people, both of them. And they looked like each other as if they were brothers. One looked younger, though. He was also the most talkative. And he had a scar around his wrist. It looked like he was wearing a hot bracelet. "

"What did they say?" Ferry asked.

"Boy, I'm not the type to listen at the doors," she said, suddenly offended.

"Not you, dear lady," Parsley said. "But I am sure that such an event must have aroused curiosity in the orphanage at that time. Someone must have heard something."

"Well, there was this girl, Amanda. Worked in the kitchen. She used to eavesdrop. She said the men were eager to adopt the child. One of them, I mean. The oldest. And that's what happened. In two days they took him from here. And there was something else ... "

"What?" Ferry asked, feeling an emptiness in his stomach.

"It was as if they wanted that child. They didn't care about anyone other. They did not ask to see other children. As if they knew that child would be brought there, you know ... "

Ferry was sure his jaw dropped. They thanked the woman and left. They remained until dusk, hidden in the grove near the orphanage. When the last employee left the orphanage, Parsley went through the front wall, then opened the door for Ferry to enter. He did the same with the warden's office. Once inside, they searched the file drawer until they found the file the director opened earlier. It was a emptyl. No pages inside. They rummaged through all the drawers. Nothing. There was not even a paper reminding of the child brought there seventeen years ago.

Parsley could read the disappointment on Ferry's face. "I'm sorry, Garrett. I tried..."

*

"I don't know, Ben... Looks like we've reached a dead end. I don't know where else I could look for the lost Donovan baby. And that torments me, you know... That I can't fulfill her last wish. "

In his mother's kitchen, Ferry was telling Ben about the visit to the Big City's orphanage. Peter had made them sandwiches, as he best as he could. For Ferry, he even made the lettuce sandwich he loved. And even though Ferry knew he would never taste lettuce sandwiches like his mother did, he still appreciated his father's trying. Then Peter let the boys talk and retired to his workshop.

"You mustn't lose hope, Ferry," Ben said. "Perhaps we will find other clues that will lead us to him. If we find the linen, we find the baby, right? "

"Yes, but I don't know where to look, Ben. He could be anywhere. And besides, why did they adopt him so quickly.? Why did they hide all their traces? Why was that child so special? My Guardians said they chose the house at random. It could be any other child ..."

"Do you think it has to do with fairies?" Ben asked.

"I don't know. I don't think so. From what Thyme told me, he was an ordinary human child. Besides, he appears in my mother's photos."

Ferry sat down at the table and took a bite from his sandwich. It didn't have the usual taste, but it could be eaten. Lavender, however, was sending a basket of food every day for Ferry and his father.

"You need to take a break, Ferr," Ben said. "Why don't you come with me and Celia to the lake on Saturday? With Bianca vanishing, your mother and now this, we all need a break. "

"I don't know, Ben... I can't think of anything else."

"Maybe a little water and sun will make you forget about it for a while. Celia invited Billy, too. He's been very lonely since Kian left. "

Ferry's eyes clouded at Kian's name.

Ben took a bite from his sandwich. "Matt's coming, too."

*

By the time school was over, Ferry had agreed to work for several more hours at Pride Mansion. He had to keep himself busy, so he didn't think about all that happened lately. He was cutting the bushes under Mr. Pride's office when he heard voices — Billy was arguing with his father. Billy mentioned Andrew's name, and that made Ferry all ears.

"I'm not leaving, Dad! So there's no point in trying to convince me," Billy said.

"Billy, a summer camp will do you good. You need to relax after a year of school. You'll make new friends ... "

"But I don't want to relax. And I don't need new friends," Billy said.

"Why don't you understand?" his father shouted, seeming to lose his temper. "The town closes in a week for the Quest. No one can come in or out after that. You have to leave by then."

"You can't force me to leave!" Billy shouted back.

"Billy, do you want to spend the whole summer locked in your room?"

"What are you going to do, Dad? Are you going to lock me up like Mum? That's what you do. If we don't do as you say, you shut us down. It's your way to push us away, isn't it?" Billy shouted even louder.

"Is it because of that boy?" Albert Pride asked, trying to calm down. "Is that why you don't want to leave? He left, Billy. And for his own good and yours, he'd better stay away from this place. "

"Why are you bringing him up? You never agreed with our love. Did you chase him away from me? Is that what you did? "

"You don't know what you're talking about. What was between you two was not love ... "

"How would you know? You never loved anyone!" cried Billy.

"Keep your voice down, Billy," his father raised his voice again.

"I won't keep my voice down, Dad! I don't care what others think. You took away from me the only person I ever loved. Truly loved.." Billy said, and Ferry could tell he was crying.

"Stop! Stop saying that!" Albert Pride shouted, and from the office's window came the sound of broken glass.

Billy stormed out of the office, slamming the door behind him. His father went after him."Where are you going?" he shouted after him. "Don't you dare walk away from me!"

But Billy was already gone. He took his bike and started pedaling to town.

Ferry was left with the garden scissors in his hand. Albert Pride glanced at him, frowned, and walked towards him. Ferry pretended to cut the hedge further. He did not want to be accused of listening, although he that's what he did. Albert Pride stopped a few steps away.

"Mr. Pride, I just--" he stammered.

"Mr. Donovan, I want you to stop your search," he said in a low voice.

"What search--"

"Don't pretend you don't know. You know very well what I'm talking about. You stayed in town. You now think you have been given a second chance to stay in this town. But soon, you'd wish you were gone. At least, stop searching. It's for your own good," he said, then walked away.

Ferry stared behind him. He didn't understand anything anymore.

*

That summer morning seemed detached from a painting. The endless azure sky had been adorned with cotton clouds that took on the most varied shapes and then scattered to unknown distances.

Ferry reached the lake when the sun had already begun to show its generosity. He could feel it on his skin and in his eyes. From the lake came a cool stream that brought the smell of shore, cattail, and water grass. The reeds swayed in the light wind that caressed them with gentle breezes.

The lake had not been cleaned for years, and, touched by the wilderness, it became as if majestic, ruling over the whole place. Ferry took off his shoes and shirt and rolled up his pants. He could feel the sand mixed with the pebbles on the shore of the lake burning his feet, and that made him hurry. The bugs were buzzing in the tall reeds and a dragonfly with rainbow wings was flying in circles around him. Through the willow branches that surrounded the lake, he saw his friends being spoilt by the sun's generosity and the coolness of the water. Ben and Celia were lying on a blanket, their bodies close to each other; they were just looking at each other without saying anything. Billy was a few feet away and threw stones into the bubbling water, which stirred at their touch to calm, then calming down as if nothing happened. On the edge of the old deck, swaying her legs, there was Matilda. His heart skipped a beat at the sight of her, and the butterflies in his stomach became restless again.

He walked to the lake, the sand burning his feet. Ben and Celia smiled when they saw him, waving at him. Billy frowned at his sight, but said nothing. Ferry stopped near Matilda at the edge of the deck. The girl seemed wrapped in light, a warm sun herself; she looked up at him, shielding her eyes from the blinding sun. Ferry sat down next to her. For a while, they didn't say anything to each other, dangling their feet. She looked different. Every time he saw her lately, he discovered something different about her. Her hair had grown long enough to be worn in a ruffled ponytail at the top of her head, and her freckles shone even brighter in the sun. Her skin already had a light, velvety tan. Ferry knew how much she loved outdoors. She was wearing shorts, the color of the angry sea that she had probably made for herself from some older ones, and a white shirt that she turned into a T-shirt. She was wearing a silver chain with an unusual pendant around her neck—a silver circle with a gray, dull stone in the middle. Ferry had never seen it before. In fact, he had never seen Matilda wear any jewelry. Was it a gift? From whom? He chased away the thoughts that were starting to get in his head again. That day had to be perfect.

Ferry gently poked her foot with his foot. She did not withdraw it, but pushed his lightly. They stood like that for a while, their feet gently touching each other. Her touch was fine and cool and sent tingling all over his body.

"I heard about the adoption," she finally said, looking at him. "I'm happy for you. I didn't want you to leave," she added, looking away.

"Thank you," he said and looked at her as if he was seeing her for the first time.

"Listen, Ferry... I wanted to apologize for the way I've been lately. I put pressure on you. Then I blamed you for not feeling the same. Then I ignored you. Then I was upset again when I saw you with May. You must be very confused about me," she said, barely breathing.

"I'm not confused about you," he simply said.

"Please let me finish. This isn't easy for me. I just wanted to say that it's not okay to force your love on someone. So I will never bother you again. You can be with whoever you want. I won't complain, I won't mumble. I will refrain myself from any of that. I just want— I just want things to be the same between us. I want us to be friends again, to know that you can always rely on me. I want it to be the way it was three months ago."

Ferry frowned. He said nothing, just looked away.

"Wouldn't you like everything to be like three months ago?" she softly asked. "When everything was so simple and easy and perfect? When nothing bad could happen ..."

Ferry shook his head. He looked at her brown eyes that had turned hazel under the caress of the sun. "No. I don't want it to be like three months ago. I was blind three months ago. I couldn't see you three months ago. Really see you ..." he said and put his hand over her hand.

She did not retreat from his touch, but her gaze became sad. "We've always had a bad timing, haven't we?" she whispered.

Ferry brought his head closer to hers. When their foreheads touched, he could feel the quiet descend upon him. They stood like that for a few seconds, their breath accelerating.

Then they could hear a splash of water, and they moved away from each other again. Ben and Celia jumped into the water. Now they were frolicking in the lake, their laughter spreading to the hills. From time to time, their laughter was interrupted by long kisses. Then the splashes of water and laughter returned.

Ferry and Matilda were no longer looking at each other, but their feet were still touching."It's too late, Ferry," she said after a while. "The two of us are too complicated. Together, we would only complicate things even more. You have a mission and a destiny. While I— I don't know what I want. I don't know what to expect from life. All I would do was distract you. "

Ferry felt his heart ache. "You can't define something that hasn't happened yet. I don't want to be your what if, Matt," he said.

She wrapped him in a longing look. "Ferry ..." she whispered his name.

There was a splash again. This time closer. Billy took off his shirt and jumped into the water.

"Billy changed," Ferry said.

"He did. He's different, somehow ..." Matilda said. "Kian changed him. I guess love brings out the best in us."

"Or the worse," Ferry added.

"What do you mean?"

"Kian is not a good person, Matt. He killed my mother."

"Ferry, you don't know that," she said softly.

Ferry moved his foot away. "Do you really think he left this place?" Kian?" he asked without taking his eyes off Billy.

Matilda shook her head. "I don't know. Leaving someone you love is hard. Sometimes you want to know he's okay and you're still watching him from the shadows, even if he doesn't know you're there."

But Ferry couldn't hear her anymore. Something caught his eye. Billy came out of the water, wiped himself with a towel and walked by  without looking at them. He layed on his stomach right on the sand, some distance from the deck. Ferry couldn't take his eyes off of him. He stood up.

"Ferry, what happened?" Matilda asked.

Ferry headed towards Billy. His heart was pounding, almost jumping out of his chest. He stopped next to Billy, his shadow falling over him. A pear-shaped birthmark was perfectly visible on Billy's left shoulder blade.

Well, this story is coming closer to the climax. What do you think? I'm going to miss writing this one. What a ride it has been...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

275K 17.1K 26
A young fairy's desire to break free from the restraints tethering her to her world, pushes her into the arms of a charming, young wolf, whose world...
7.1K 751 48
Evie is haunted by her past, and so tangled up with her best friend and room mate she isn't even sure she remembers how to be an independent person a...
17.3K 1.5K 30
[complete] "A human, a wulver, and a fairy walk into a witch's hut." It was like the start of a bad joke. Fleeing from her home in the States after...
1.8K 31 30
Almar, a young elfen boy, finds himself running from soldiers and searching for old grandmas in mystical forests. Why, you might ask? Because Almar h...