Baby Steps | hyunsung

By -magiclollies

"I'll be with you from dusk til dawn." - Han Jisung and Hwang Hyunjin were highschool sweethearts; a couple e... More

0 | TEASER
1/2 | PROLOGUE
1 | REUNITED RENDITION
2 | NO NEW FRIENDS
3 | DAYCARE WORKER MINHO
4 | BLINDING DATE
5 | A COLLISION FOR THE WORST
6 | A DRUNK SQUIRREL
7 | NO FRUITY PEBBLES
9 | GROCERY STORE TALK
10 | HER GIGGLES ARE CUTE
11 | GUESS I'M JUST A PLAYDATE TO YOU
12 | A STARK FLEW DOWN
13 | ESME HAN-HWANG
14 | HYUNJINNIE IS A DAD!
15 | ALL TYPES OF PLUSHIES!
16 | IT'S SO FLUFFY!
17 | AN ADD ON
18 | I SHOULD HAVE NOTICED
19 | "I THINK YOU SHOULD LEAVE"
20 | HAPPY BIRTHDAY ESME!
21 | I JUST HAD AN EPIPHANY
FINAL | THE START OF SOMETHING OLD

8 | LONG & BLONDE

3.2K 198 59
By -magiclollies

CHAPTER EIGHT;

LONG & BLONDE;

Jisung remembers how he felt when he held gazes with Hyunjin after four long years. His breathing hitched and his chest tightened, all while his mind swirled with insane thoughts. He was frowning—he knew he was. His eyebrows were creased inward while his red lips were parted from releasing a silent gasp. He could feel his smaller fingers curl into his palm, nails digging into the rough skin mercilessly. And even though all he could hear was static and a constant ringing, he knew no one around him had spoken a word out of shock themselves. Hwang Hyunjin was standing in front of them with what looked to be a look of relief. But why should he be relieved to see his ex lover again?

He wasn't hoping to get back together, right?

Jisung hasn't felt this emotional since he was pregnant with Esme. Back then he was allowed to say that his hormones were changing. He was getting higher doses of estrogen and progesterone, it being reasonable as plenty of other people suffered through mood swings. But now he keeps switching between sad, angry, annoyed, and even happinesses. All because someone he used to love dearly was finally back. There was nowhere to run either. Unlike at the restaurant, Hyunjin could definitely go after him. So Jisung was only able to stay planted, hoping that his face wasn't giving away too much. And he was to also pray that Hyunjin didn't look too far to the left and begin to question who the little girl still in Felix's hold was? That wasn't a conversation he was willing to have in the middle of a grocery store, or with so many of their friends around. Jisung swallowed a lump of thick saliva, running a hand through his hair as he thought about how rational he had to be. He didn't want this accidental reunion to go sour.

"Hyunjin-ah!" Jisung widened his eyes at the voice, craning his neck to see who was the one to shout out. He mentally thanked Jungkook and his naturally sly smirk creeping at the edge of his lips. If not for him the situation could have continued to be awkward. So with an assuage feeling, the blonde watched as the older smoothly made his way over to his cousin and wrapped an arm around his shoulders. "How come this is the way we meet again? Didn't you miss me?"

"How can anyone miss someone as annoying as you?" It was said playfully, yet Jungkook took the opportunity to strangle Hyunjin. He teased him with more unnecessary family banter, and didn't allow the younger male to respond to any of it. It had everyone's attention (even a few people who passed by trying to shop), so Jisung took it as his chance to hopefully signal for Felix to take Esme and leave. But as he turned his head, the Australian and the little girl were already gone. Yeah, the blonde knows that keeping Esme a secret is the wrong thing to do—Hyunjin has all the right to know about everything and anything that may pertain to his child—but Jisung wasn't ready. Looking at the one person who so easily crushed him four years ago, he could barely breathe correctly. Because he wanted to hate Hyunjin, he really did, but he knew he couldn't. Not with how his heart still thumps sporadically and his ears begin to heat. Before Esme is revealed, he needs to solve any underlying issues that are continuously holding him back. "Alright alright, tell auntie I'll visit her later tonight."

Hyunjin managed to be released from Jungkook's hold, then gave one last shove in the arm to his cousin with that same smile the blonde used to adore. He raised his hands to fix his soft black hair, something Jisung noticed had gotten a lot longer in the last few years. Maybe long enough to braid or put in a small ponytail. It fit him quite well.

"Hyunjin, it's good to see you man!" Changbin jumped at the chance for the next person to be reintroduced. They shared a brotherly handshake, patting each other on the back when they came in for a hug. "Four years has been so long!"

"Too long. I actually tried reaching out a few times. Never got anything back though" Ouch. Hyunjin can try to talk to an old friend but not his ex-lover. But then again, he didn't try to call either. Jisung bit the inside of his cheek, trying to dismiss the way that his heart clenched. He felt Jungkook nudge him just slightly, and he had to give a forced grin to prove that he was alright.

"Yeah, that's a long story" Seungmin interjects. He smiles when Hyunjin brightens at the sight of him. More enthusiastic greetings were given, as they engulfed one another in a tight hug.

"Oh, but they can get a nice hi," Jungkook sassed with exaggerated facial features and hand motions. "Rude."

Hyunjin waved him off with a scoff and an eye roll, then after returning his stare to his two friends. Jisung would be lying if he said that he didn't want a little bit of attention too. The ravenette was stalling their meeting though. He can tell. Hyunjin hadn't even dared to turn around, nor acknowledge that he was there. He just kept a conversation going with his old friends.

"Ah, what have you guys been up to? Changbin, did you pop the question?" He was like a kid in a candy store—eager to know more about the lives of the people he was extremely close to. Upon seeing Changbin's smile drop into a frown, an unsettling sadness soon surrounded everyone. Jisung was confused though. What question?

"No" It was a blunt answer. Bland and with a focus that went passed Hyunjin's head and onto a label for celery. The aforementioned looked baffled by the news though; as if what he was hearing was life changing. "Like Seungmin said, long story. But it's—it's okay. Uh, you know what? How about we catch up later? Seungmin and I are looking for an apartment to rent together and we have a booking in about an hour, and he still wants to get groceries for his parents so..."

"No, yeah sure!" It was obvious that Changbin just wanted an excuse to drop the previous subject. And Hyunjin took the hint. "My number's still the same so call or text me whenever."

Hugs were given with more joyful words of being glad to see one another again, before Seungmin and Changbin walked away. That's when the air went silent. There was only one person left standing in the way of Jisung being alone with Hyunjin. Jungkook; the same male who awkwardly rocked back and forth on his heels as he hummed a little tune to himself. But once he caught his younger cousin's stare, he had managed to take the hint of the ex-lovers needing the time to talk. Alone. So with a dramatic gasp he stepped between the large space the couple provided.

"I'll just...I'll go wait in the car" He took steps back, thumbs thrown over his shoulder to motion towards the grocery store exit. "Come out when you're ready Han. And don't forget my marshmallows!"

Jisung scoffed.

"Yah, I already told you-"

"Aw you're so sweet Hannie! Thank you!" Jungkook gushed as he started to walk away. Jisung shouted curses in his direction, to which the older man laughed at.

Now Hyunjin wasn't one to ever get jealous of his reckless cousin—it was immature and fed the ginormous ego the older one already had. So instead he rather found ways to bypass the charms and skills of Jeon Jungkook so that he no longer reigned superior. But as of right now, while that same careless family member of his spoke to his ex with such carelessness, Hyunjin felt envy. He was practically green. Jisung was green as well. Except, this was because he thinks he's going to be sick. He now wishes he never let the other leave. The long awaited moment between the past boyfriends was just as awkward as he believed it would be. How were they supposed to talk when neither one knew what to say?

"So you went blonde, huh?"

The question made Jisung shake his head and blink in uncertainty. He doesn't want to believe that they were starting the conversation off talking about their hair. But then again it was better than the deadly silence that engulfed them so easily. So with a weak attempt at a smile, the single father nodded.

"Yeah, and you grew yours out?"

Hyunjin mindlessly trailed his fingers through the thick locks he now let reach a little past his ears. He looked as handsome as he did all those years ago.

"Looks like it."

AUTHOR'S NOTE;

y'all can't tell me they aren't secretly related:

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

656K 29.7K 21
In which Lee Minho is the school's delinquent and Han Jisung is known to be the one who never does anything wrong. The two admire each other from afa...
432K 23.6K 41
{Completed} They share the same friends, they share similar interests, but they do not share any affection. Minho and Jisung have always had a dislik...
40.8K 1.5K 7
"𝐖𝐡𝐲 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐤𝐢𝐬𝐬 𝐦𝐞? 𝐈'𝐦 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐡𝐚𝐥𝐟 𝐚𝐬 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐲" ➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶ Hwang Hyunjin always dreamt of th...
15.9K 748 10
After a long period of constant photo shoots and training the members of Stray Kids finally get a break. All of the members deeply miss the interacti...