JEMIMA

By oluwayanmife__

Meet Jemima, a christian and a lover of God. Born by Christian Ministers and raised in the way of the Lord. B... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52

Chapter 8

428 183 18
By oluwayanmife__

Toni's aunt, Mrs. Olamide, was very abusive. She took pleasure in battering and maltreating Toni at any slight provocation. Ever since Toni started living with her and her husband, Pastor Dennis, Toni had to suffer the pain of being an orphan and the wrath of her anger. Toni, had once mentioned that she had mental illness tendencies, because she noted she beats her husband too. I had always known women to be victims of domestic violence and not the other way around.

She was not a devote Christian, infact it's better said that she is not a Christian at all, despite the fact that her husband was a pastor. She did not even attend church, she stopped attending few months after Toni started staying with them. Sometimes I always argued with Toni as I couldn't understand how a nice and friendly woman like her, will change to a monster Toni claims she is.

It was only after Toni confided in me about her Uncle's unfaithfulness to her that I could believe that was what triggered, her mental health, she must have been depressed when she found out her husband had a child out of wedlock, while she was still without a child. She vented her anger on poor Toni and her husband who must be obviously dieing from guilt.

Pastor Dennis couldn't do anything to save himself and Toni from her wrath. He couldn't possibly leave the marriage either, Mrs. Olamide was from a very wealthy family, they could turn the whole thing around and get him locked in jail for the rest of his life. He was only lucky that his wife had kept the secret to herself. He decided this was his cross, and he had to pay for the consequences of his actions.

"What did she do this time?" I asked Toni over the phone.

" As usual, she beat me and stopped me from attending lesson because I forgot to iron her clothes. And then Uncle Dennis tried to help...Err, you know the story already" she replied. " I'm only lucky she is not making me drop the exams this time" she added.

Toni was supposed to be resuming University as I was too. But her 'crazy' aunt, stopped her. Just because, we did a sleepover at my place with a few friends, towards preparation for our exams. She had cried a lot, and was also made to leave school.  I couldn't see her for a long time too, because she left the church's headquarters, when her uncle was transferred to her present church.

"Toni!!!" I called out to her so anxiously and angry. " When are you going to take my advice, you shouldn't be put to hurt because of your uncle's sin, and your aunt's wickedness, I have told you to let me talk to my Dad, even if your aunt's family is Rich, the church will stand for you" I said, my voice slightly high pitched.

" Oh Jemi, please please please, spare me that" she said " like you don't know all this church leaders, yes your Dad may be rich, influential and with reputation, but there's nothing he can do for us, can't you see. The church only seeks to cover their own name. If these ever comes out, what you'll see out there in the headlines us. 'The savior's church suspends one of its pastors on ground of sexual immorality" she added.

" Oh, Toni please try to be positi..." I said but she cut me off almost immediately.

"No Jemi, it's you that needs to be realistic, I love my uncle. He has been there for me, since my parents died. You don't understand this, but I feel his pain. I would rather, stay in this pain, than Allow him go to jail".

" Toni, there is nothing like going to jail for a man who cheats on his wife. At least, he didn't get married out of wedlock".

" Barrister Jemi, thank you, but life is not as easy and simple as you think. I called so I could talk to you, not to be lectured on ways to get in trouble. If you don't have anything consoling to tell me. Good night" Toni said, as she cut the call.

She actually cut the call on me, I thought to myself.

I rested my head on my thighs, as I started thinking of ways I could have handled the situation better without her getting hurt, again. She had probably face another scary moment, and had seen her Uncle who was supposed to protect her at the mercy of a woman. I could have been more understanding,  I thought to myself.

"Hey, Jemi" I had my dad's voice calling me softly at the entrance of my room. "Aren't we eating tonight" he said with a small smile.

" I'm sorry Dad" I said with a smile as I got on my feet and walked towards me.

" No problem darling" my dad said  playfully hitting my shoulder. " You know we are home alone tonight, how about we have dinner outside".

" Really" my face lit up. But gradually went sober as a realisation hit me.

" What is that Jemi" my dad asked as he noticed the change in my demeanor.

"We won't have any alone time at all. I'm sure you'll see a church member, wherever we go". I said in a babyish voice.

My Dad laughed heartily, as we walked down the hallway. "That's true oo, don't worry, I'll make sure no one distracts us" He said in whispers, and then continued to laugh.

We stepped into the restaurant and located an empty seat, my dad locked is arms in mine, and I looked like his date.

Yeah I was•••

I smiled at myself, I was enjoying the moment. We got to our seat and my dad signalled the waiter. He came and took our orders. And while he was at it, my dad and I gisted about what we thought my sister Anne was doing.

"Maybe she is at a party" my Dad said jokingly.

"Haha" I laughed heartily. "No,I don't think she's the party type" I said "Anne is a bookworm you know, she might be reading sah"

" Yeah, or she might be watching all those Chinese and Korean films she loves" My Dad added.

" Yeah, yeah. That's also possible" I said, and then a noticeable silence passed.

" I really miss her" My Dad muttered, with a sober face. Just then, the waiter came with our order.

"Thank you" we said simultaneously, and started digging into our food.

We talked about random things as we ate, just then we both noticed a familiar figure walk into the restaurant. Monica, Maria's mother, I noticed as my Dad's eye lingered on her as she sat on her seat, that I started feeling uncomfortable. She must have noticed and smiled at us. I wondered why she didn't come to say hi to us.

Maybe she didn't want to disturb father and daughter, thanks Ma'am. I guessed.

"Err, Jemi. I need to use the restroom" my Dad said to me as he stood up and walked away. I didn't attach any meaning to his actions until I noticed, Monica was not on her seat too. I breathed deeply as I went back to my food.

I noticed eyes lingering on me and then turned back.

Ephraim, he was sitting there with his family. I turned back immediately I saw him.

Why must he be everywhere, I thought to myself.

I continued eating and few minutes later my dad, came back.

"I'm sorry darling, I had to" he said as he sat down.

"No problem, Dad" I muttered.

After few minutes, we were set to leave. My dad paid the bills and we started walking towards the the door of the restaurant when a voice called out my dad's name.

"Oladele" the voice called, I wondered who it could be that would know my Dad that much to call him by his first name. We trailed the voice, and our eyes landed on Ephraim's family. Apparently, it was his father that was calling mine. They were walking towards us.

"Joseph". My Dad called out too, rather too loudly, they had to step out of the restaurant for the rest of their reunion. I had not seen my Dad as excited as that in a long while. The duo hugged each other tightly and I couldn't but smile widely.

I looked to my right and saw Ephraim who was also smiling.
I gasped, his smile was so beautiful, and the little teeth that showed, shined under the moonlight. My heart started beating extra fast as I turned my gaze back to the happy duo.

"Joseph, how have you been, where have you been all this while" my Dad said.

" Ah, Dele. My story is just like the Joseph in the Bible. Remember I told you I would name my son Ephraim, I actually did"he said pointing at Ephraim. " And that's not the only thing that makes my story similar to his, I went through a lot my friend. But God saw me through" .

The two Continued talking for a while that they dismissed us the children. I walked with Ephraim, as we walked towards an empty chair around the corner.

"I have not seen my Dad that happy in a while, they must have been very close" I attempted to start a conversation. I vibrated inside me as I thought of the possibility of him snubbing me again.

"Yeah, my Dad always talked him" he replied, his voice sending chills down my spine.
"He had seen him on a program once, and he told me many stories" he continued

" Really? " I said.

" Yeah, I think the met on campus fellowship in school, you know, The Savior's Church student fellowship"

" Yeah, my parents met there too" I replied.

" He was bent on meeting him since we got to Akure but hasn't had the time. He has been very busy lately. Today was His lucky day" he said giggling.

" Wao"

We continued talking, and I began to see more to this guy than the snubbish one I had always known . We talked only about our parents before we parted ways. I wished we had talked more, but it was getting late.  Our parents finished their gisting.

We walked back to the entrance of the restaurant, I was introduced to the mother and his little sister.

It was a beautiful night, and a smile plastered my face as we drove home.

_______________________

Hey guys 🤗🤗🤗

Update, update, update.

I'm so grateful for the 500 reads guys 🥺🥺🥺
And to everyone that's votes and comments... You guys encourage me...

I love you ❤️❤️❤️

Let's keep at it, don't forget to comment, vote and tell you friends about this book.

Keep the little star down there shinning 🌟 🌟 🌟

Oluwayanmife ❤️❤️❤️

______________________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.4K 3.1K 60
She felt his warm palm on her wrist and at once she was facing him. Without warning, his lips engulfed hers, setting her on fire just like she did h...
650 93 39
Hurt, pain, doubt, insecurity, temporary happiness, fear, toxic relationships, anger, anxiety, issues, and chaos. They were the unwelcome passengers...
21.2K 5.1K 34
When Adeleke Jemimah finally joins her elder brother at Crest University; practically nothing changes. Separated from her best friends; Jemimah had t...
581 165 21
The teenage period is usually not always easy. You make mistakes, you learn from them. It's like a moulding phase towards adulthood, which tends to b...