Ray Of Sunshine

Від IntenseArt

⚠️ Copyright © 2020 by IntenseArt. This is an original story. All rights reserved. This book or any portion t... Більше

Chapter 2: The Best Of A Bad Bunch
Chapter 3: Ground Rules
Chapter 4: Yellow
Chapter 5: Unicorn
Chapter 6: It's A Beautiful Name
Chapter 7: Doll House
Chapter 8: Sunshine Song
Chapter 9: Awkward
Chapter 10: Pink Shirt
Chapter 11: Imaginary Friend
Chapter 12: Hard Times
Chapter 13: Frozen
Chapter 14: You're A Good Man
Chapter 15: Pay Rise
Chapter 16: I Hate Shopping
Chapter 17: More Than Ok
Chapter 18: Me And My Hand
Chapter 19: Sugar Plum Fairy
Chapter 20: Makeover
Chapter 21: It's Hard Not To Look At You
Chapter 22: Popsicles
Chapter 23: Wet
Chapter 24: Stress Ball
Chapter 25: How the Brain Works
Chapter 26: It's Italian
Chapter 27: The Hard Stuff
Chapter 28: Rejected
Chapter 29: Don't Make Me Wait
Chapter 30: Snap!
Chapter 31: Accident
Chapter 32: One In A Million
Chapter 33: The Edge
Chapter 34: I See How It Is
Chapter 35: Thanks, But No Thanks
Chapter 36: You're A Stranger
Chapter 37: A Better Apology
Chapter 38: Hard And Fast
Chapter 39: A Change Of Heart
Chapter 40: Pixie
Chapter 41: Sandcastles
Chapter 42: Shark!
Chapter 43: I Had A Date
Chapter 44: Nightmare
Chapter 45: Ronald
Chapter 46: What Are We Doing?
Chapter 47: 7 Letters
Chapter 48: A Little Note
Chapter 49: Angel
Chapter 50: Another Family
Chapter 51: Ray Of Sunshine
Chapter 52: Crazy In Love
Chapter 53: I'll Be Your Girl
Chapter 54: Let Me Love You
Chapter 55: I Want To Taste You
Chapter 56: Part 2
Chapter 57: You're So Tense
Chapter 58: Gossip
Chapter 59: Our Future
Chapter 60: All Good Things Come to Those Who Wait
🎶 Soundtrack 🎶

Chapter 1: Busy Man

4.7K 114 215
Від IntenseArt

Another day where I haven't stopped. I'm so focused and engrossed in the work I'm doing I haven't had time to eat yet, but that's usually how my day to day life is. I'm a busy man.

I type away on my laptop, drafting up an email to send to a client. I read it over carefully and edit it before pressing send and start straight on to my next task. I'm on a tight schedule today.

I feel my phone buzz in my pocket, and for a moment I take my eyes away from my laptop screen just to check if it's anything important.

I sigh seeing Janet has text me. I thought it might have been a client. I read what I see on the screen, but I don't click in to the message. She always complains I don't text her back, or I don't text back fast enough. What does she expect when she knows I'm busy? It's an easier life if she doesn't see I've read it.

Remember I told you I've got plans today, so don't forget you're picking...

I'll read it later. I quickly put my phone back in my pocket and continue with my work load.

There's a knock on my office door, but I keep my eyes on my laptop while I read some data.

"Yeah?" I call out, not really wanting to be disturbed.

The door opens and Andy pops his head in.

"Do you have that presentation together for the MK company, Michael?" He asks.

"I'm working on it." I say abruptly, not taking my eyes away from my work.

"Ok, just shout me when it's done."

"Yep. Sure." I say bluntly, feeling irritated.

Fuck off.

Andy leaves without saying another word. I sigh and lean back in my chair, taking a moment. I stretch out my hands and adjust my tie, loosening it slightly, before sitting back in my usual position and continuing my work.

4 HOURS LATER

"It's obvious that other companies benefit from this online system, so if we can get the project manager on board with this his business will increase just like the others have, shown from the data I collected." I say, clicking through the pages of my presentation.

"Yeah, I agree." Andy nods.

"So, the plan is we arrive at the clients site, meet with the project manager and get a bit friendly with him. It's important we have a good relationship with him, and we will just discuss where we are in the project."

"Right." Andy nods.

"You got them questionnaire lists yet?" I ask, flicking through some files on my laptop.

"I have asked the research team about 3 times for them now." He shakes his head.

"Great." I sigh and roll my eyes. "They need to do their job properly because the deadline is in a couple of-"

I hear my phone ring in my pocket. I take it out and quickly answer it, expecting it to be a client, but again it's not who I'm expecting.

"Mr. Jackson?" A female voice answers.

"Yes, speaking." I say firmly, with a hint of annoyance in my voice.

"It's Mrs Frank. Jessica is sat waiting to be picked up."

I widen my eyes and quickly look at the time. Shit!

"I'm just calling because I couldn't get hold of Janet, and I wasn't sure who is supposed to be collecting Jessica today?"

"Yeah, that would be me. I'll be as quick as I can." I hang up and pack my things away quickly. "I've got to go. Keep pressing for the questionnaire list." I'm in such a hurry I don't even look at Andy, or wait for him to answer. Not that it matters.

I rush out of the office and shoot through the building, making my way out to my car. I jump in and put my foot down, racing down the roads. I try my best to be as quick as I can, driving like a maniac in the process.

After over taking people, cussing and beeping my horn at stupid, slow drivers, I make it to the school within 10 minutes. I drive in to a parking space, but don't pay any attention to my bad parking. I couldn't give a shit right now. I'm in a hurry.

I walk with a fast pace towards the school, and try to catch my breath before going through the front doors. Jessica is sat in reception with her head down.

"Hi Mr. Jackson." Mrs Frank smiles.

"Hi. I'm sorry I'm late." I show a quick smile and look at Jessica.

"That's ok. I waited with Jessica and she's fine."

I know she's not fine. I shouldn't have been late. Jessica doesn't make any eye contact with me and slides down off of the chair, leaving her backpack behind. I watch her as she walks past me and over to the doors. Mrs Frank picks up Jessica's backpack and hands me it.

"Thanks." I don't say anything more and turn around, walking after Jessica.

She stands by the car waiting. I sigh and unlock it and she quickly gets in. I put her backpack on the back seats and get inside. I turn my head to look back at her, but she stares out of the window.

"I'm sorry Jessie." I frown.

She finally looks at me, but only for a couple of seconds and then looks away again. I sigh while turning back around.

The journey home is silent and every now and then I look in the rear view mirror to glance back at Jessie, but she just stares quietly out the window.

We arrive home and she quickly gets out of the car, this time taking her backpack with her. She waits at the front door, and once I unlock it she hurries in and drops her backpack on the floor.

"What would you like for dinner?" I ask her.

She doesn't answer me and begins walking up the stairs.

"Jessie?" I call after her.

Again she doesn't say anything and gets to the top of the stairs. I sigh and hold the banister as I watch her.

"I can make spaghetti?" I call out.

I watch her until she turns the corner and disappears down the hallway. I rub my forehead in frustration and make my way to the kitchen. I pull off my suit jacket and throw it on the back of one of the chairs. I lean against one of the kitchen counters and undo my tie, letting it hang loose around my neck. I lean my head back and close my eyes, letting out a little moan.

I rub my face before taking my phone out of my pocket. I click on the text Janet sent me at lunch and read it.

Remember I told you I've got plans today, so don't forget you're picking Jessie up from school. Please don't be late again Michael x

I roll my eyes and chuck my phone on to the kitchen table. I take in a deep breath and stretch out before starting on dinner.

While I'm cooking I get my laptop out and reply to some emails. I left work in such a hurry that I need to catch up with a few things now.

******

I lay the table and then walk over to the stairs.

"Jess! Food is ready!" I call up to her.

I go back in to the kitchen and start dishing up. I place down mine and Jessica's food on the table and see her walk in to the kitchen, still looking upset. I watch her sit down next to me and place her elbow on the table, resting her cheek in her hand.

"It's your favourite." I smile, trying to get her to say something or look at me at least.

She stares at her food and slowly eats some of it. I sigh and twirl some spaghetti up on my fork.

"Come on Jessie, I'm sorry I was late." I furrow my eyebrows.

"You forgot about me again." She mumbles as she plays with her food.

"No..." I frown and shake my head. "I didn't forget about you. You know daddy is a busy man... I just lost track of time." I say apologetically.

"I wanted auntie Janet to pick me up." She says it quietly, almost through a whisper.

I take in a deep breath and watch her continue to move around the food on her plate.

"Well she couldn't, and can you stop playing with your food and eat please?" I say firmly, raising my eyebrows.

She finally looks at me but with a blank expression and we both eat in silence.

We finish our dinner and I give her some fruit for dessert while I clean up. I hear her get up from the table and look over at her.

"Do you have any homework to do?" I ask, drying off my hands.

"No." She shakes her head.

"Really?" I raise an eyebrow.

"I don't have any." She shakes her head again.

"Ok." I make a face, not entirely convinced by her answer. "If you don't have any then I'll get your bath ready."

She frowns.

"Do I have to have a bath?" She whines.

"Yes." I give her a look.

"But I-"

"Don't argue with me Jess. Get upstairs."

She sighs and then leaves the kitchen, and the sound of her feet quickly stomping up the stairs echo through.

I finish cleaning up and then go upstairs in to the bathroom. I roll up my sleeves and begin to run Jessica's bath, adding in some bubbles for her. I check the temperature is just right and then dry off my hands.

"Jessie!" I shout out.

No reply. I roll my eyes and make my way to her bedroom. I look around but don't see her in here. I suddenly see something move under her bed covers and I smile, realising she is hiding under there.

"Jessie?" I call out and walk further in to her bedroom. "Hmm, where is she?" I say, getting closer to her bed.

I quickly pull the covers back which makes her squeal and laugh, and then I start to tickle her.

"There she is!" I smile.

"Stop!" She giggles as she squirms around.

I laugh and stop tickling her.

"Come on, your bath water is gonna get cold."

"I don't want a bath." She frowns.

"Am I going to have to carry you in there?" I raise my eyebrows.

A cheeky smile spreads across her face and she tries to pull the covers back over her body, but I hold them back.

"I guess I am." I say grabbing hold of her and lifting her up.

"No!" She shouts through her giggles.

I laugh and carry her to the bathroom as she squirms around in my arms.

"You're smelly! You need a bath." I say letting her down now.

"You're smelly." She gives me a look and smiles.

I smirk and raise an eyebrow.

"Well then, we both need a bath don't we? So the quicker you are, the quicker I can get clean too."

She makes a face and gets herself undressed before getting in to the bath. I kneel down and start wetting her long, curly, dark hair. She plays with the bubbles while I begin to rub in some shampoo.

"Was school ok today?" I ask.

"Yeah." She says quietly, seeming too interested in the bubbles.

"What did you learn?"

"Ummm..." She splashes the water while she tries to remember. "I don't know."

"You don't know?" I raise my eyebrow and rinse out the shampoo from her hair.

She holds her head back and closes her eyes so the shampoo doesn't irritate them.

"How about math? What did you learn in that today?" I grab a small towel and gently wipe away any soapy water from her face.

"Oh, we played roll the dice!" She says suddenly remembering now. "On the dice there's add, multiply and subtract. When it lands on one we had to practice that."

"Really? That sounds fun."

"Mmm." She shrugs.

"What else did you do at school?"

"Umm, practiced my handwriting."

"That's good, and you're getting better at that aren't you?" I smile.

She nods and then looks up at me.

"Are you taking me to school tomorrow?" She asks.

"Yeah." I nod.

"But usually auntie Janet takes me." She lowers her eyebrows.

"Auntie Janet is busy."

"Oh..." She looks down.

"I have the morning off work tomorrow because I'm finding you a nanny remember?" I rub her cheek. "You'll see auntie Janet soon."

Jessica doesn't say anything and stares down at the bubbles.

"Use the soap to wash yourself." I say standing up and drying my hands. "I'll be back in 5 minutes ok?"

"Wait!" She says quickly. "Can I have more bubbles?"

"More?!" I make a face and look at how many bubbles there already are.

"Pleeeease?" She frowns, giving me the puppy dog eyes.

"If I put more in you'll get lost underneath them all." I laugh softly.

"Ohhh, pleeease?" She begs again.

I roll my eyes and pick up the bubble bath.

"Yay!" She squeals and splashes some water from her excitement.

I smile and add a little bit more in to the bath and foam it up for her.

"There, I'll be back in a minute ok?" I say about to leave the bathroom.

"Wait!" She shouts.

"What now?!" I laugh and turn back to look at her.

"Can I have my barbie doll? She needs a bath too." She says, pulling the cutest face.

"If I get you your doll, will you finally wash yourself?"

"Yes." She smiles and nods quickly.

"Alright." I smile and shake my head, leaving the bathroom.

I walk down to her bedroom and pick up her favourite barbie doll.

"What do you say?" I ask as I walk back in to the bathroom.

"Thank you daddy!" She smiles widely and takes it from me.

I smile and watch her play with it in the water before leaving the bathroom again. I run my hand through my hair and make my way in to my office. I sigh heavily and slump down in my chair behind my desk.

I log in to my laptop and get up the job add I put up for a live in nanny. I didn't think many people would like that kind of job, and I was surprised at how much interest it had. I thought it would be a waste of time, but I had to try something. I can't rely on my family to constantly look after Jessica any more. They are all busy and have their own lives... Janet was the one who mostly helped me, and the one I relied on the most, but she can't be there 24/7 and I understand that. I'm not sure how I feel about a stranger coming to live here, and look after Jessica while I'm away working, but what else can I do?

I'm not really looking forward to interviewing these people either. I sigh, looking through the applications of the people I'm meeting tomorrow, and the next day. I have had to split the interviews up over two days because I can't afford to take a lot of time off work.

I stroke my finger over my bottom lip as I read the names of the candidates. I'm hoping it won't be a complete waste of my time, and I actually find a decent person. If I don't find anyone then I'm really stuck on what to do... so I kind of have to hire one of them.

I get up a document full of questions I have prepared, and start printing some off. While that prints I go and check on Jessica. As I walk towards the bathroom I smile hearing her still playing with her barbie and talking to herself.

"You finished?" I ask as I walk in.

"No..." She says dunking her barbie under the water.

"So, before you didn't want a bath, and now you don't want to get out of it?" I shake my head and smile.

"Can I stay in it just a bit longer?" She frowns.

"No." I shake my head and pick up a bath towel. "You'll go all wrinkled like an old lady, remember?" I laugh softly.

She moans and splashes her barbie around through the bubbles.

"Come on, stand up." I say opening the towel.

She makes a face and reluctantly stands up. I smile and wrap it around her, picking her up. I place her down and make sure the towel is secure around her so she doesn't get cold. I kneel in front of her, and rub her up and down gently, getting her dry.

"You don't smell any more." I smirk.

She giggles and shakes her head. I grab another towel and wring out her wet hair. She laughs as I put the towel over her whole head and start to towel dry it as much as I can.

"There. You're all done." I smile and take the towel off of her head. "Go put on your pyjamas." I say, kissing her forehead.

She runs out of the bathroom, going off to her bedroom. I unplug the bath and clean up the watery mess she's made. I walk in to her room and see her in her pyjamas sat on her bed, playing on her tablet.

"What have I said about playing on that before bedtime?" I give her a look.

She stays focused on whatever game she is playing and I sigh, picking up her hairbrush. I sit next to her and gently brush through her damp hair, making sure there are no tangles.

"5 more minutes of that, and then it's bedtime, ok?"

"Ok." She nods, not taking her eyes off the screen.

I kiss her head and then leave her bedroom, going back in to my office. I do a little bit of work and go through some questions I have for the interviews tomorrow.

I'm in my office for a little while and then glance at the time. Bedtime. I sigh and go see to Jessica. As I walk in to her room I see she is under the covers watching something on her tablet.

"That's enough now Jessie." I say sitting on the bed.

She frowns and I give her a look taking the tablet off of her.

"Where's Pooh?" I ask, looking around for her teddy.

She's had Winnie the Pooh since she was a baby. I see it's dropped on the floor and I pick it up, putting it in bed next to her. She hugs it and looks up at me.

"I like it when you're home." She says.

Hearing her say that upsets me a little bit. I know how much she misses me when I'm working, and it's hard for me not being able to spend much time with her. I smile and stroke her cheek.

"Me too sweetie."

"Can you sing the sunshine song?" She asks, sounding a bit sleepy now.

I smile and move some hair away from her face.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know Jessie how much I love you, please don't take my sunshine away."

She smiles and I lean down, kissing her cheek. She wraps her arms around my neck and I give her a big hug.

"Goodnight baby, sweet dreams." I say softly.

"Goodnight daddy." She says, snuggling in to her teddy.

"I love you." I stroke her head.

"I love you too."

I turn on her bedside lamp and walk over to the door. I look back at her as I turn off the main light and then I leave her room, shutting her door over but leaving it open slightly.

I walk down to my room and yawn as I rub my face. I'm exhausted. I don't even have the energy to get undressed. I sit on the end of my bed and collapse back, closing my eyes. And just like that, within a few seconds, I'm fast asleep.

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

13.9K 466 24
Kayla has already been through enough turmoil in her life. She has a beautiful home, a job and she's married but that's just it..Nobody knew what hap...
4.1K 143 3
⚠️ Copyright © 2021 by IntenseArt. This is an original story. All rights reserved. This book or any portion thereof may not be reproduced or used in...
6.6K 260 11
Michael Jackson is a grocery worker and he has a speech problem. Over the years, since he was a kid, all he every got was bullying and abuse from his...
50.1K 1.7K 41
Michael, a world renowned ambassador of pop music and a crossover of pop, r&b, and soul. Some call him a connoisseur, a "magician with luminesce...