Alpha's Mate

By RoseKnight21

When Leanna finds her mate, she isn't prepared. The Alpha is a strong man who requires a strong Luna. But the... More

~1~
~2~
~3~
~4~
~5~
~6~
~7~
~8~
~9~
~10~
~11~
~12~
~13~
~14~
~15~
Chapter 16: Beginning Again
Chapter 17: Jagger
Chapter 18: Your Friendly Neighbor
Chapter 19: Tell A Story
Chapter 20: Hallucination
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24: Memories
Chapter 25: Cromwell
Chapter 26: Hunting Chances
Chapter 27: Drink till you drunk
Chapter 28: River Marks
Chapter 29: Bonded
Chapter 30: The Witch
Chapter 31
Chapter 32: The Project
Chapter 33: Bloodied Nights
Chapter 34: The Aftermath
Chapter 36: Alcohol and Killers
Chapter 37: Sabotaged
Chapter 38: Revelations
Chapter 39: Sweet Voices
Chapter 40: Old and New
Chapter 41: Phone Calls and Goodbyes
Chapter 42: New York
Chapter 43: Cafe Secrets
Chapter 44: Taken
Chapter 45: Breaking Point
Chapter 46: The Truth Comes Out
Chapter 47: Art of Vengeance
Chapter 48: Raleigh
Chapter 49: The Bond
Chapter 50: Broken Chains
Chapter 51: His Heart
Chapter 52: Beyond Life
Chapter 53: Fated
Chapter 54: Reunited
Chapter 55: Liberation
Chapter 56: Fulfillment

Chapter 35: Allegiance

8.3K 277 61
By RoseKnight21

I hope you all enjoy this chapter! I do apologize if it's not a lot but I wanted to focus on some details and give you a more personal look at Phoenix! Please enjoy!

The morning light creeped over the horizon as Phoenix watched, his mind a million miles away.

His thoughts kept drifting over to the attack and despite his best efforts, he couldn't get rid of the gruesome images; his pack under siege, his people falling, shot by arrows and bullets. Human invading his home, killing without a thought, all at the behest of a madman.

Leanna shifted in her sleep, drawing him out of his dark thoughts. He glanced down at her, his body relaxing a bit. His eyes scanned over her face, taking in the bags beneath her eyes, her cracked lips, her pale skin. She was wearing herself thin and it destroyed him. He didn't want her to feel like she was solely shouldering the weight of the pack.

Kissing her forehead, he slipped out the bed and headed over to the closet, pulling on a pair of jeans and brushing his teeth before heading downstairs.

Fifty cots were laid out across the two living rooms and the dining room and most of the wolves were asleep. Those who were awake were in the kitchen grabbing breakfast.

"Alpha," Maire's voice was nearly unrecognizable, and he turned to her.

She had a disheveled appearance which was unlike her. Her dark hair was loose around her shoulders and her dark eyes were downcast and rimmed red.

"What's wrong?" His voice was filled with concern.

"We need to speak."

He nodded and turned the corner, heading for his office. Locking the door behind them, he moved toward the desk and poured a drink.

"Whiskey?"

"Please," she sighed, running a hand through her hair.

He placed the drink in front of her and sat on the couch, "What's going on?"

Maire looked up at him, despondent. "Thaddeus, I'd say I see you as a brother. We've seen the worst this pack can do and the best. We've experienced loss, heartache, pain. We've spent the last two hundred years hidden away, tucked behind a shield from the outside world. We are strong but we haven't seen an attack of this magnitude since..."

"Maisie," Phoenix's voice was hoarse as he finished his drink.

The Beta nodded, "Yes. We have always prided ourselves on our strength, our will. But that attack, the other night, it's broken our spirits. The wolves are doubting themselves and frankly, I doubt myself as well. These humans have invaded our land, undetected, twice now and killed nearly a hundred wolves. A Luna's life hangs in the balance. They need their Alpha and the only thing they've seen the last day and a half is their Luna, bleeding with a bullet wound, practically killing herself to care for those who were injured. They need a reason not to lose hope and right now, there isn't one."

"Shit," Phoenix let out a shaky laugh, running a hand through his hair. "Am I really doing that bad of a job?"

Maire shook her head, "You're an amazing Alpha most of the time but disappearing like that, where no one could find you when we needed you most... That was awfully shitty of you."

"You know I'm the Alpha, right?" He raised an eyebrow and she sat up straight, a challenge in her eyes.

"And you know, as your Beta, I'm supposed to guide you. How do I help you if I'm not telling you when you fuck up royally?"

He sighed, "Point taken."

Pouring himself another drink, he took a swig, "This is getting serious, Maire."

"Yes, it is."

Phoenix sat in silence for a while, mulling over Maire's words. He cleared his throat, setting down the glass.

"I need to talk to Kai and Valor. If they still want to sign the treaty, that is. I need to reach out to a few other packs and explain the situation. Those assholes have gotten away with too much," his voice deepened an octave, his eyes flaring black. "The day I get my hands on Rick..."

He trailed off, violent images crossing his mind. He wanted nothing more than to kill him, but Rick needed to suffer. He didn't get the sweet relief of a quick death; he deserved to be tortured in the same manner he'd tortured Leanna.

"Go talk to them," Maire urged him, and he nodded.

"I will. I just need a little time to clear my thoughts. I'll be able in a couple hours; keep an eye on things for me," he said and then stood up, walking out of the office.

Most of the wolves were awake now, milling around and talking. They were in various stages of recuperation and he was happy to see them healing and smiling. It was a sight for sore eyes after the rough couple of days they'd been having.

Moving through the group, he headed out the back door and walked the worn path to the forest. Once hidden by the trees, he shifted, his body stretching and relaxing. It felt good to shift as he took off running, the wind running through his dark fur. His paws pounded against the forest ground as his mind began to wander once again.

.

(Flashback)

"Stand. Go make yourself useful and set up an area for the wounded in the living room."

When Sean had slinked off with his tail between his legs, Phoenix pushed through the crowd and disappeared. His mind had become a pit of dark thoughts and memories and he needed to clear it before he drove himself crazy.

Phoenix found himself on a familiar hidden path, leading him deep into the forest past the river. His eyes were alert the whole way, searching for any nearby enemy that may have stayed behind. He didn't think a second attack would be likely, but he was starting to learn not to underestimate Rick.

He came to a stop in a clearing; blooming moon-flowers filled the area and in the middle of it was a tombstone. His body tensed as he approached it, his eyes sweeping over the epitaph.

Lydia Jules Jacob

September 15, 1771-December 2, 1806

Daughter, Wife, Mother.

She lived beautifully.

Phoenix fell to his knees, his body worn.

"Mom," his voice was hoarse. "I wish you were here."

Tears burned in his eyes as the words blurred and he sniffed hard, "I'm so sorry. Fuck, I don't know what to do."

He rubbed his eyes hard as his body shook. He was the Alpha and he was strong. But he'd guarded himself for so long he'd forgotten how to let go. Meeting Leanna had opened his world up, made it brighter and whole. But it'd left him vulnerable. He had something to lose now.

"I wish you could meet her," he chuckled tearfully. "She's a spitfire. You'd have loved her, pulling pranks all around the pack together."

He knew he was strong but during this time, when everything was unsure and stresses were at an all time high, he felt like a child again.

"I don't know what to do," he whispered, sitting back.

"Are you talking to yourself?" Jagger's voice came from behind and he turned, rolling his eyes.

"What, Jagger?"

The vampire slinked toward him, covered in blood. It was like a scene out of Carrie as he took a seat beside the Alpha.

"Well I'm not gonna let you go insane alone," Jagger scoffed.

Phoenix shook his head, "You're a mess."

"Well, that sort of happens when you murder a bunch of blood bags."

Phoenix raised an eyebrow but didn't press.

The two sat in silence for a while until the Alpha turned to the vampire, "I came here for privacy."

"Yeah," Jagger nodded, unmoving.

"As in, alone?"

"Totally got ya. It's quite secluded. Good spot," Jagger mumbled, staring up at the stars.

Phoenix growled in annoyance, "Jagger, I want to be alone. Can you go?"

"Don't get your panties in a twist," Jagger suddenly snapped. The vampire was rarely hostile, so it caught the Alpha's attention. "I came to tell you to get your shit together."

"Excuse me?" Phoenix's eyes darkened and Jagger snorted,

"Don't even try. Leanna is in there, barely functioning, and you're here sulking. So, what if you got attacked? Did it hurt your ego? Probably. Are you weak? Hell no. Not with my best friend in there, kicking ass and setting bitches on fire. And what are you doing? Complaining to yourself or whoever the hell you're talking to. I get it's a kick in the dick to be attacked like this and no even sense it. I didn't even smell them, so it took us all by surprise. But hiding isn't going to help."

Phoenix felt his wolf threaten to come out, but he reined him in. Jagger pissed him off, but the vampire did have a valid point, as much as he hated to admit it.

"What do you suggest I do?"

Jagger shrugged, "Go inside and help? I don't know, I'm never in charge. But I assume leading the pack and helping the wounded and all that is the first place to start."

Phoenix let out a laugh; he couldn't help it. Jagger, of all people, was telling him off and giving him a life lesson.

"You've got a point," Phoenix admitted begrudgingly.

He climbed to his feet and Jagger laid out across the ground, staring up, "This is nice."

"You're an odd one, Jagger."

The vampire nodded, "Says the one who was talking to himself?"

The werewolf chuckled just a bit, "Thanks, Jagger. Goodnight."

(End Flashback)

Phoenix came to a stop at the river, the early morning light illuminating the water. He shifted back and stretched his limbs, approaching the edge.

"Morning brother," Kai looked up at him, heavy bags beneath his eyes.

"Have you slept?" Phoenix asked as he took a seat.

Kai took in a deep breath, "Thadd-"

"Spare me the lecture, Kai. I got an earful from Jagger last night and from Maire this morning," Phoenix muttered, looking down at the water.

"...I was going to ask how you were doing."

"Oh."

Kai chuckled, "You're doing fine, brother. It might've been bad to block everyone out, but it was rough on all of us; that doesn't make you a horrible Alpha. It's okay to break down but don't ignore your pack when they need you the most."

He nodded. "I know. Fuck, everything's just been so stressful," he shook his head, glancing at his brother.

"How are you and Rhea? Did you get hurt?"

Kai tensed, a look flooding his eyes, "Okay for the most part. Rhea, she uh, she had a miscarriage."

Phoenix's eyes widened, "Shit, Kai. I'm so sorry."

He pulled his brother in for a hug and Kai slapped his shoulder, sniffling, "I'm fine, really," he said, pulling back.

"She was seven weeks along. We were trying to hide it until she was a bit farther to surprise everyone. She's a little broken up about it but I can sense she's okay. It's not our first but it still hurts."

Phoenix rubbed his shoulder but the two remained silent after that. They spent much of the morning sitting at the river, communicating through their mindlink ever so often. The silence was peaceful, and it allowed Phoenix to stew Maire and Jagger's words.

With a clearer head, he was able to process more. He knew what he had to do but he had to collect his thoughts and think out every word. The pack needed strength and hope and he couldn't do that if his thoughts were muddled.

Thaddeus.

Yes, Valor?

We need to speak.

Meet me in my office in ten.

"I've got to speak to Valor," Phoenix announced, standing up.

Kai followed behind him, "I think we all need a proper talk."

The Alpha nodded and then they took off through the forest at full speed, arriving at the pack house in five minutes. Walking through the house, he found it a bit livelier and spotted Leanna in the living room, talking to Sophie and another wolf. When she saw him, she waved and he smiled, feeling his body relax at the sight of her.

Walking into his office, he shut the door and found Valor sitting on the leather couch. His clothes were disheveled and covered in dried blood from the other night.

"You have our allegiance," Valor announced immediately. "I want the fucker that ordered the hit dead. Because of him, Frey is lying in a bed, barely alive. If he doesn't come to us, I'm going to him and I'm ripping his fucking head off!"

His roar rattled the door as his wolf-fangs shot down, his eyes pitch black. He was breathing hard, just barely holding onto his wolf who wanted nothing more than to destroy everything.

"We will get him. We need a plan but don't think for a second that I'm not ready to rip that fucker's head off," Phoenix snapped, and Valor looked at him. "We can't go in blind or they'll have the upper hand. We must think this through. We need a few packs on our side and I think I know just who to contact but you need to trust the process. If we don't do this right, hundreds of lives are going to be lost."

Valor nodded, his eyes returning to normal as he rubbed his face, exhausted. He glanced over at Kai, "Are you in?"

"Fuck yeah."

The two turned to Phoenix, equal looks of danger in their eyes,

"Who's next?"

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! What did you all think? And just for fun, who are your favorite characters? 

P.S. Please go check out my friend's story. It's called Blazing Suns by full_of_fandom. It's got action, adventure, drama, romance! I absolutely love it and I think you might too! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

549K 13.6K 33
After being forced to live her life on the run, living the life of a rouge, Amelia discovers her mate is the Alpha of the second strongest pack in th...
997K 19.9K 31
"I, Cal River, Alpha of the Climax Night pack reject you, Raven Woods, as my pack's Luna and as my mate." ***** Raven Woods was born a rogue. She wou...
1.5K 21 18
It was an attack that took everything from her a year ago. Her family and pack all slaughtered. She didn't know why or who, just that she had to run...
52 6 6
The forest has been overrun by rogues, who hunt for women and children. Many have gone missing over the years, almost to the point where female werew...