𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐓𝐚𝐥𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐓𝐰𝐨 �...

By golden5sauce

Jamie wants nothing more than be accepted by her parents. She's tired of being the black sheep. Her attempt t... More

Disclaimer
Cast
Chapter One| Jamie
Chapter Two| Lucas
Chapter Four| Lucas
Chapter Five| Jamie
Chapter Six| Lucas
Chapter Seven| Jamie
Chapter Eight| Lucas
Chapter Nine| Jamie
Chapter Ten| Lucas
Chapter Eleven| Jamie
Chapter Twelve| Lucas
Chapter Thirteen| Jamie
Chapter Fourteen| Lucas
Chapter Fifteen| Jamie
Chapter Sixteen| Lucas
Chapter Seventeen| Jamie
Chapter Eighteen| Lucas
Chapter Nineteen| Jamie
Chapter Twenty| Lucas
Chapter Twenty-One| Jamie
Chapter Twenty-Two| Lucas
Chapter Twenty-Three| Jamie
Chapter Twenty-Four| Lucas
Chapter Twenty-Five| Jamie
Twenty-Six| Lucas
Twenty-Seven| Jamie
Twenty-Eight| Lucas
Twenty-Nine| Jamie
Thirty | Lucas
Thirty-One| Jamie
Thirty-Two| Lucas
Thirty-Three| Jamie

Chapter Three| Jamie

701 15 3
By golden5sauce

I take a seat in 5B except, and mine is the middle one, but I decide to take the window seat because no one is sitting there. "Excuse me, Miss, this seat is 4B."

"Look, I just want to seat in the window seat can I at least have that to look forward to on this stupid flight to hell."

I look up at the man who just ticked me off, but I regret yelling at him because of how attractive he was. Leave it to me to be rude to the most handsome guy on this plane. His piercing baby blue eyes gleam from the shining light beaming through the window—his smile making little creases in the corner of his eyes. The man's gold locks are wrapped neatly into a small bun nestled on top of his head. I can smell his cologne, a powerful combination of lemon and spearmint, and slight manly musk. I can't tell if that's all his cologne, or is it a mixture with his natural scent. His black Red Hot Chili Peppers shirt clings to his well-toned muscles while his jeans are slightly baggy.

"Well, I guess someone doesn't like plane rides." A strange giggle erupts from my lips. God, what is wrong with me. "I'm sorry I just want the window seat because I'm forced to go on this plane."

"Do you want to talk about it?" He asks.

"No, I don't want to pour my problems onto you." He seems nice, but my problems don't need to be his.

"No, I don't mind, plus we have like over 15 hours to kill." He did have a point; this is a long flight. So I choose to tell him about how I wrecked my parent's car and why they're forcing me to move to Australia.

I like him, and he seems to get me. Then I realized I didn't even know his name.

"Oh, I forgot to ask you, what is your name?" I'm curious about who the man I've gotten to know for the past hour.

"Jake," he says. "Well nice to meet you, Jake, I'm Jamie."

"Jamie. That's a cute name." My face heats up at the compliment. Plus, everything sounds better with his accent.

I don't know why, but I feel like I already know the guy and we met just an hour ago. Maybe it's his mesmerizing eyes or friendly smile that makes it easier to tell him anything. He reminds of the first boy I loved—I was young, so I don't know if I should call it love—but I do know I haven't felt so excited that my heart could just give out from beating too fast or petrified that I won't see him again. If soulmates do exist, he is the only guy I'd consider because that exhilarating feeling was the only time I experienced it. I never felt that for my summer flings or ex-boyfriend Jared, just him. I remember the day we met, what we did, what we wore, but can't remember his name, and it still drives me crazy. I wonder if he still looks the same or if puberty did an entire 180.

"Well enough about me. Why are you on this plane?" I ask. He tells me he's visiting his family over the fall break.

"Wait, fall break, but I thought it was spring," I say.

"In Australia, the seasons are opposite of the ones in the states."

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Does that mean the school years are different too?

"So how old are you? Are you in college? Are you studying abroad?" I rush, wanting to know more about him.

"Wow, you ask a lot of questions, but I'll answer them. Yes. Yes. And I'm 19."

After thousands of questions asked from one another, I learned that he had an older and younger brother my age and a girlfriend, sucks. I thought we could do something while he's here, but it's alright. He also shares many embarrassing events. Jake tells me about a time he and his little brother got in a fight over this hot older girl. He was fifteen and little brother thirteen, the girl, Romona, was seventeen and used to babysit them three years ago. Romona wasn't interested in either of them because she only saw them as the dorky kids she babysat. The two of them were oblivious to her flirting with their older brother and decided to have a prank war on each other. The pranks went on for two weeks until Jake saw Romona sneaking out his older brother's room half-naked at 2 am and told the youngest about it. They laugh about how stupid the whole ordeal is now, but they were hurt back then.

I get comfortable in my seat and call the flight attendant for some peanuts and water. Looking out the window, I smile, seeing the clouds brush across the sky. I used to be terrified of flying, but one time Maria and I went on a choir trip to Disney World, and we spent the whole flight talking and playing games that I realized flying wasn't as scary as I thought. I still have a reasonable fear that the plane could crash, but I think much less of that happening now. After eating my peanuts, Jake and I watch the Gremlins because Jake has never seen it. We end up discussing other movies afterward. We talk for hours until Jake suggests that we should get some sleep, and I agree.

***

Finally, the trip to hell was over. I tell Jake goodbye and thank him for saving this boring plane ride. He gives me his phone number in case I need help adjusting living here. God, why can't he be single; wonder if his younger brother is free.

Heading to the front, I stand in the meeting spot for Aunt Kiera. After waiting for ten minutes, she arrives. Kiera looks the same as always with her short brown hair styled in half up half down, smooth light brown skin, and emerald eyes. Her outfit consists of a white blouse and black jeans with boots and a thin black coat with brown buttons on the sides.

Dad and Kiera are half-siblings, after my grandparents' divorce Grandma remarried. The two are nearly 15 years apart and are so different in multiple ways. For starters, it's almost hard to tell they're related, Kiera's father is white and she got more of his features than my grandma's. I can see some resemblance between her and my dad, for instance, the shape of their nose and almond-shaped eyes except my dad's are hazel eyes instead of green. Kiera also isn't as carefree as my dad; maybe it's because he's a pediatrician and always has to be that way to ease the young children. My aunt works with teenagers who, most of the time, are disrespectful and a complete challenge to figure out, of course, wrapping myself in there. She's thirty and single; maybe that's why she's bitter, worried she'll end up alone, and taking care of her problematic niece surely doesn't help her dating scene.

"Hey, sweetie, how was your flight." Kiera looked tired, considering it was 5:30 in the morning. "It was alright, I guess. How long until we get to your house?"

"At least an hour, but I got a cab, so you can sleep in there if you are still jet-lagged." She yawns, and I nod.

"Also, you will be staying in the guest room until the break is over, then you will be going to boarding school." What! A boarding school, just great.

"Why can't I go to a private or public school?" Anything but boarding school.

"I'm sorry, sweetie, but I'm the dean of the St. Philips boarding school. So I'm not home, usually just on the weekends." She tells me as we get into the cab. I groan before asking about the rules; I hope it isn't strict like my last school. Kiera explains we have to wear uniforms; if I violate the dress code, they will give me detention. On weekends, the students are allowed to leave campus as long as they return by 7 am Monday. The dorms have a curfew at 10:30, and anyone caught after that receives one-week detention. Each teacher has specific rules to follow in their classroom and will give you different punishments other than detentions. For instance, cleaning the restrooms or helping out in the cafeteria.

"So if I wanted to dye my hair blue and get a nose or lip piercing, would that be violating the dress code."

I wasn't going to, but if I did, then I wanted to clarify. At my old high school, students weren't allowed to dye their hair any color that wasn't a natural hair color. Only ear piercings were allowed and the nose if it was just a stud, not a ring. We couldn't wear any clothing with: guns, promote violence, slight to full nudity (which I understood why.) No selves, leggings only acceptable under a dress or long t-shirt that covers our bottoms, bandanas or hats/hoodies (which I didn't understand why.) Schools' excuses are that wearing these certain items will distract others from their studies, but in reality, no one focuses on other people's looks as much as we focus on our own. A friend might diss or compliment my outfit, but then that's it we move on with our day, that's why I find dress code pointless.

"Yes we recently allowed dyed hair and piercings, but I won't let you do that to yourself." She sounds surprised that I would suggest that. "Also, when is the break over?" I hope I have some time to relax before going to a new school, considering my summer was cut short.

"Not for a week."

Fantastic! I wonder are there teens my age around here? If I'm staying here for however long might as well make some friends. Kiera tells me about her two neighbors, a girl who lives next door and a boy across from us. Maybe this won't be so bad after all. I take that offer and take a nap; otherwise, I'll have to make more conversation with Kiera.

Someone shakes my shoulders, waking me up, and I rubbed my eyes from my slumber. I glance out the window and see we're outside of Kiera's house. Getting out of the cab, I take a gander around the neighborhood. The houses form a U-shape with one white bricked house next door in the center. Only the end of the street does this. Is every road like this one? For a moment, I find myself looking across the street at the house where the boy lives and wonder if he is cute, and if the girl next door is even cool. I followed my aunt into the house with my bags and found the guest room, which wasn't that bad. It could use some redecorating because it's giving off old people vibes. The bed feels incredible, however, and I might just stay in it until I have to leave. Being jet-lagged from the long flight, I decided to go to sleep. It's only eight in the morning on a Friday; it's not like anyone cool is usually awake.

***

I wake up again at twelve-thirty and make a sandwich while Kiera takes a shower. After scarfing down my food, I chose to sit outside because it looks beautiful out. Considering the weather being a little chilly out, I grab a blanket and also my poetry since I'm feeling inspired. After 20 minutes, I notice that someone is watching me. They're across the street looking out the window and had vibrant pink hair that was hard to miss. Is that the boy Kiera was talking about earlier. A few minutes later, he was still looking at me with three more boys. Now I'm starting to feel awkward and uncomfortable. Why are they staring at me?

Kiera came out and told me she's heading out to the store and if I need anything. All that could come to mind was that chocolate ice cream she used to get me the last time I visited. I'm surprised I remember since that was over ten years ago. I wave to her as she drives off in her blue Sudan. My body becomes stiff when one of them comes out of the house and starts walking my way. While the boy got closer, he looks like someone I know almost like Jake but younger. Jake did say he had a younger brother, but that can't be him. Right? His sandy blonde curls bounce as he steps down his porch steps, and his pale turquoise eyes gleam there's something hypnotic when looking into them. He's tall and thin, probably 6'1. His lip pierced with a ring sitting on the side of his pink lips. I swear lip rings make any guy ten times sexier. As the boy approaches me, he starts to look somewhat familiar and not just Jake's possible brother.

"Hey, I'm your neighbor, and my friends wanted to know if you're related to Ms. Beyer," He asks me. I didn't know if I should say anything, so I nod. I wasn't ready to talk to anybody just yet and scurry inside without another thought. I peep through the door hole and see the confused frown on the boy's face before heading back to his house. I was never good at making conversations with new people, especially hot guys. I nearly made a fool out of myself with Jake yesterday, but finding out he wasn't single helped. I knew I didn't have a chance, so the pressure to impress him was off. However, with future classmates, it's different; I do one stupid thing, and that's all they're going to remember about the new girl.

An hour passes, and Kiera is still not back from the store. A knock on the door catches my attention. I hope it's not that boy again. I don't want to make a fool out of myself, and he'll tell his buddies about how weird I am.

"Hi, I'm your neighbor Sophie, and I noticed this morning that you were moving in with Ms. Beyer."

Her hair flows down her shoulders, and a burgundy beanie perched on her head. Her chestnut almond-shaped eyes glimmer as she looks around the living room through the doorway: her black duffle coat and red leggings are keeping her warm. The cold wind starts tickling my bare arms making the hairs stand up, and goosebumps spread across my forearm.

"I am her niece, Jamie," I tell her.

"Well, nice to meet you, Jamie. My mum wanted me to give you this."

She hands me a travel guide and a plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in saran wrap. I take the plate from her, taking in a whiff of the sugary delights. Homemade just like my grandmother used to make them.

My grandma was loving and always smelled of some baked goods. She raised Kiera here in Sydney but was more similar to my dad than Kiera. Grandma Elaine was a vivacious woman and nothing seemed to worry her. When Grandma got diagnosed with leukemia, she smiled and told me everything would be alright. Grandma passed two years ago, but she fought until the very end. Grandma wanted her burial in Adelaide with the rest of her family, so we flew out for the funeral. I miss her; she was the only one that told me to do what I want to do. I still remember the last thing she said to me. "Jamie, when I was your age, I felt like the black sheep of my family too, but don't let them pressure you into changing who you are. There is only one Jamie Bea Hart. Don't let anyone take that from you. They will soon see how amazing you are." I carry every word of that day in my heart and hope Grandma is right.

"Thanks." She's about to leave, but I'm bored and want to hang out with someone. "Do you want to come in?" She hesitates but agrees. "Great, it was becoming dreary being in this house alone," I say as we go into the guest room, I'm staying in for a while.

I ask her if she attends St. Philips in case Kiera was talking about another neighbor. She nods, and I grin happily. I finally met someone going to my future school. She doesn't seem like the judgemental, so that makes things easier and on me.

"Are you going there?"

"Sadly, yes," I groan while Sophie belted out a goofy shriek. "Ooh, we can be friends, and I could show you around it will be so much fun," she responds quickly.

I need all the friends I can get to survive this school year. Even if she's the only one I make, I think I can get through this year. Before I eat one of her cookies, I ask her about the boy across the street. I found out his name is Lucas, he's seventeen, and goes to St. Philips too.

"I found him and his friends staring at me through his window."

"Everyone's curious about who you are since no one new moved in the neighborhood since that bitch Victoria Williams."

"Who is Victoria, and why is she a bitch?" Genuinely perplexed as to why Sophie detests her so much.

Sophie explains how Victoria bullied her and purposely excluded her from parties, lunch tables, fun school activities. Anything Victoria was in charge of Sophie never got to be a part of it. Sophie didn't understand why she was her prime victim considering she only spoke to Victoria once before the bullying started. Sophie also explains that Victoria used people, especially guys, into getting good grades and other things that Sophie didn't want to get into specifics.

"She dated Lucas, the boy across the street, but I'm sure she used him as well." I know I'm a bitch sometimes, but wow, she takes the cake.

"Do you know what happened to them?" Referring to Lucas and Victoria. This gossip is the only thing keeping me going right now.

"All I know, she moved two summers ago, and I know he was devastated when he found out the truth about her. I think she almost ruined his life."

Good thing he has his friends to keep him steady. If something like that happens to me, then I would need Maria to be there for me. Maria once helped me out of getting arrested for drunk driving. We switched sits before the cop could get to us, but I'm still surprised by how we pulled that off. "Maria, what if he asks why you're driving my car," I ramble, but she just shushes me. She rolls down the window and greets the officer.

"License and registration," his monotone voice states. She nods, handing his license. "This is her car she was letting me drive because I never get to since I don't have a car yet," Maria sighs. He nods and asks for my licenses to confirm her story. She was speeding, but it was her first offense, so he just gave her a warning. I thanked her so many times until getting to my house. Without her that night, they would've figured I was drinking and driving and got in serious trouble or possibly hurt someone.

Sophie shyly mutters about Lucas's friend with pink hair. I didn't know why she brought him up until her cheeks turned a light pink.

"You like him, don't you."

By her bright red face, I already know the answer. She tries changing the subject by handing me a vivid orange flyer. The Walking Rejects playing this Saturday night at Silverstone Hideout at seven. I look at Sophie raising a brow, having no clue what this means.

"Their band is playing at the club tomorrow, and I want you to come with me." I look at the flyer again and see a symbol of a safety pin behind the letters. What the hell does that mean?

"The Walking Rejects?" That's an intriguing band name. I wonder what type of music they make. I want to say indie or punk because I can't see Sophie liking them if they were heavy metal.

"What I think it's cool." Of course she does.

"Alright, I'll go, but if they are lame, I am leaving."

"Just wait and see for yourself," she beams. I can't tell if she genuinely likes their music or because her crush is in the band. I'll have to find out myself tomorrow.

Before Sophie leaves, I learn how she met Micah four years ago because he and another friend were playing soccer in Lucas' backyard. Micah accidentally kicked the ball over the fence, and it landed in Sophie's yard. The boys told him to go ask the neighbors to get it since he kicked it over. Sophie answered, being the only one home. She never was that physically close to a boy who wasn't a family member before. Sophie's parents made her go to an all-girls private school until she was fourteen. Micah was blonde—his natural hair color—and Sophie automatically fell for his grey eyes. He asked for the ball back, and she happily gave it to him. They talk for a bit because he's never seen her before and goes back to his friends afterward.

Sophie didn't see him again until the next year when they went to St. Philips. She wasn't sure if she liked him because he was the first boy Sophie talked to, but they had a few classes together, and she fell for him even more. "He's the sweetest person I know," Sophie gushes. After she goes on about them and the band, she tells me to meet her tomorrow at six at the club they are performing.

***

"There you are I almost thought you weren't going to show," Sophie exclaims as she rushes over to me. "It's only 6:30 chill. They don't even start to perform until seven."

"Yeah, I know, but I need you to be here because I need guy advice." I look over to the stage and see Micah tuning his guitar, but he looks up a Sophie once in a while. Aw, I think he likes her too.

"Are you going to talk, Micah?" She nods, biting her upper lip. "Well, by the way, he's gawking at you, I can tell he already likes you.

"How would you know you haven't even met him?" She states. "Don't need to. He has goo-goo eyes for you," I say. She still feels on edge, so I tell her just to be herself; he clearly likes her, so she shouldn't stress. I know cliché advice, but it works. We take a seat at a booth closest to the stage, and I see the other guys get on stage with him. I notice the blonde guy from yesterday grab his guitar, and we lock eyes for a moment, but I turn my attention to Sophie feeling awkward about how I acted yesterday.

"So what's blonde one name again?" I ask her.

"Lucas. The one I like is Micah, and then there is Austin and Cameron." She points to the other members, but I couldn't follow. I don't worry because I'll talk to them after their set.

"Yay, they are about to perform," Sophie squeaked, as the lights dimmed. I almost laugh at how eager she is. Micah speaks first.

"Hey, everyone, we are The Walking Rejects, and we are going to play some new originals." Then Lucas adds.

"This one is called Out of My League. I hope you guys like it." They start to play and sing as I just got lost in the music. I watch as Lucas plucks his steel guitar strings and sings. His voice is surprisingly calming to the ear. The dark brunette beside him sings backup vocals for him. By their third song, I can see why Sophie enjoys their music. They have originality, which is sadly lacking in our generation music as well as fantastic stage presence already. They're a band I'd like to see blow up one day. As they perform their songs, Someday and Rejects, Sophie makes me get up and dance with her. I couldn't tell before, but now I know she loves the music; her crush just happens to be in the band.

"Thanks to everyone who came out tonight, here's the last song of the night, End up Here," the drummer yells. As they start singing it, I realize it's the song I heard from that girl on open mic night. I didn't know it was their song. They must have a larger following than I thought if someone in the US knows who they are.

"I want to talk to Micah, but I'm nervous can you come with me for support. Or if I say something stupid, stop me." I nod and begin walking towards the guys soon as they finish packing their instruments for the next band to play.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7K 686 46
//If you're reading this anywhere that is not w a t t p a d, you're reading a work stolen from me and posted elsewhere.// When Bryan Ito is pulled in...
38.2K 1.6K 27
Amanda, would never have thought that she will end up married to a stranger not to mention over a one night stand she barely remembers. She is now fa...
41.6K 765 31
(NOT FULLY EDITED) Madison has dealt with abuse and heart ache her whole life thinking that it was what she deserved. First her parents then her boyf...
1.1M 43.7K 50
Sometimes, the one you have in your heart is not the one you have in your arms. --- "I love this book, it's perfect. I finished it in one sitting, I...