What If | Idina Menzel & Kris...

By christinearendelle

*Idina Menzel & Kristen Bell fanfic Here's how it starts: that afternoon, that studio, that movie. And here... More

No Turning Back
So Beautiful, You Make Me Smile
A Little Bit of Us
Falling Angels (part 1)
Falling Angels (part 2)
Monument
Pretending
Revisited
November Dreams
A Secret Language
Janus
A Second Chance
We Go On
Afterword

For the First Time in Forever

477 13 4
By christinearendelle

Kristen's POV

A few weeks later I received the news of being officially cast as Anna. I finally got to be a Disney princess! Who could imagine this for a girl from Detroit? Idina naturally got the role of playing the Snow Queen — at that time already my sister in the script, and it was announced that Jennifer Lee was going to co-direct with Chris. Working with Jen and Chris was such wonderful experiences, because they were always so cooperative. I told them I wanted my character Anna to be a role model for my ten-year-old self, which meant a princess that weren't graceful at all. I needed her to be the kind of bubbly, weird and corky girl you saw in life. Still, none of us had any idea how the film would turn out to be. After all, we were still at the very early stage of production.

"Hi Kristen, nice to meet you!" Jen smiled warmly as I stepped into the recording studio. "We just finished the recording session with Idina, you wanna see what we got so far?"

Inside the booth, Idina was happily waving to me through the glass. "Of course!" I said without hesitation.

Jen pressed the "play" button and Idina's soft, seductive voice went, "Evening, gentlemen, why are you on my mountain?" After a few lines she chuckled, "What a coincidence. Never underestimate the power of snow and ice." The way the consonants coming from her lips melted my heart.

"That was...wonderful!" I gasped as Idina also came out to listen to the track. I smiled at her shyly and added, "You definitely sound witchy enough because she's an evil queen, but it also sounds sexy...like Maureen."

"Really? I didn't even think that way," Idina laughed.

"I didn't think of that either but I really love what you did. Just take it as a compliment — Kristen is so good at it,"Jen joked and sent us into a fist of laughter.

____

The first song I recorded with Idina was called Life's Too Short, and we were told it was about Anna going to Elsa's ice palace to persuade her to come down the mountain. They started with this sweet sister chat, but ended up with a fall-out.

"...Life's too short to miss out on a sister like you."

Outside the booth Kristen Anderson-Lopez gave a thumb-up and said, "Great! Now let's get to the part where they argue. Idina and Kristen, imagine you're fighting and neither of you are willing to listen to each other. Ready?"

"I swear I'm through with taking your unshaking sisterly support! HAH! Life's too short!" I did as I was told to yell at Idina, trying to be as sarcastic and fierce as I could.

Idina, as a irritated Elsa, sang back with a badass face, "La la lalala laaaa life's too short to listen to a reckless fool who only ever sees the things she wants to see!"

"Okay great. Stop for a bit though," said Bobby. He played the soundtrack for us to listen, and everyone burst into laughter when they heard Idina singing the "la la lalala". Come on! That was so funny. Sounded like we were not fighting but joking around.

"Do you think that's what we want?" Bobby asked. "You two are supposed to be fighting but now it all sounds too sweet."

"Err... I like it pretty much cuz that's what sisters are like. Sisters never truly fight with one another, even when you're an evil snow queen, right?" I said, flickering a smile at Idina, who seemed amused by her own funny, dorky singing of "cute fight".

"I agree," Idina put her hand on my shoulder, smiling down. Her green eyes blinked with happy light.

____

Our recording sessions usually have a six-week interval in between, but this time I was called in only after a few days. Why? They'd found the song for Idina, and everything was going to change with the script. Elsa was no longer the evil Snow Queen, but a misunderstood, fearful girl possessing an ice power that was so beautiful but seen as a curse.

I arrived early and caught Idina in the booth, singing the new big song "Let it Go". She started soft and low, her voice filled with Elsa's fear and tension that made your heart shudder. But as the song went to its climax, Idina sang with such power, recklessness and determination. Elsa was free, she was free, and we were all in awe.

However, when Idina wasn't singing, she was so shy and gentle, and didn't talk much. When we applauded for her amazing performance, she would bite her lower lip and blush slightly. Looked like she was the kind of person who tend not to know how wonderful she was.

"Hi Kristen, you're here!" I felt Idina's arms around me as we both blushed and smiled happy to say hello.

"So nice to meet you ladies," smiled Jen. "There's a good news and a bad news."

"Good news please!" I laughed.

"Alright. The good news is, today we call both of you in, because we love your chemistry when you act face-to-face, and....Bobby and Kristen have written a new song for you!"

"And what's the bad news?"

"Life's Too Short got cut,"she shrugged. "Because of what's been changed for Elsa...and like you said Kristen, real sisters don't seriously fight, and Anna offering the gloves seemed wrong. You and Idina, as Anna and Elsa, like each other too much to do that."

I happily crossed my fingers with Idina's as Jen said the last sentence. In return she nudged my elbow playfully and began to draw small circles in my palm. "Okay...let's get to the new song then,"she giggled.

When Idina and I recorded together, we actually stood across the room, with microphones, layers of sound baffles between us, and hidden camera everywhere to capture our facial expressions and bodily movements. Therefore, I couldn't see her clearly, only feeling her gaze penetrating the air. Then I smiled in return, as if telling her we were gonna be so good as soon as we started.

"Cuz for the first time in forever, I will be right here," I sang with determination.

"Anna... Please go back home, your life awaits... Yes I'm alone but I'm alone and free. Stay away and you'll be safe from me!"

The song used to replace Life's Too Short was a reprise of For the First Time in Forever. It was much less confrontational and more poignant.

"I'm such a fool I can't be free. No escape from the storm inside of me!"

I couldn't believe Elsa was so hurt and struggling in this version, and the way Idina sang it was heartbreakingly beautiful. There was fear, panic and regret in her voice, and I hated seeing these emotions coming from her, even if I knew fairly well we were just acting.

"Don't panic, we'll make the sun shine bright. We can face this thing together, we can change this winter weather, and everything will be all right..."

"I CAN'T!"

A moment's silence, and everyone burst into applause. That was intense. My heart was beating so fast! I glanced at Idina and mouthed "good?" She smiled proudly and gave a thumb-up, which melted my heart.

Recording sessions usually lasted for different amount of time. Sometimes your work ended after two hours, but sometimes you spent the whole day in the studio. Today was a long day for Idina since she came in a lot earlier than I. She looked a little tired but blushing with excitement as she walked out of the studio building, and that was when I quickened my pace to catch up with her.

"Hi Kristen!" She sensed my presence before I spoke anything. I felt like she didn't even look surprised.

"Oh, hi! You going home?" I stuttered, reacting the exact way as Anna.

"Sure. And I wonder if you wanna...grab some coffee together before we go? You know, as a reward for today?" Idina was blushing slightly, out of shyness or the reflection of sunset I did not know.

"I'd love to! And well, in fact I also wanna ask... If you have time this evening, maybe we can have dinner together? Maybe you wanna try out Bell's special recipe for lasagna?"

"You know I can't wait to," she smirked as we linked arms and walked toward my car.

The perfect lasagna requires fresh sauce that's not too sweet or salty, and a good control of oven temperature. The upper surface is best when it's a little crisp but you have to make sure it's not burned, and the cheese should be melted and well-mixed with the pastry.

I stood in front of the oven while the lasagna was under baking, sneaking glances at Idina, who was sitting by the table intently observing how I cooked.

"You need help?" She asked.

"No everything's fine. Just need to wait a few minutes," I replied.

"Then why don't you come here and sit with me?"

"Oh yeah I should. Sorry," I pulled out a chair and sat next to her.

"Why sorry?" Idina asked curiously.

"I think I shouldn't have kept my guest waiting," I smirked. "Anyway, let's get to know each other a bit. Let me see... how about we ask questions?"

"Great. The weirdest thing you did as a child?"

"Well, I used my face to eat my meal as my dog. And you?"

"I made a potion with pebbles and dirt when I was seven, and I forced my sister Cara to drink it."

"Really?! Tell me you didn't! I can't believe you were so wild." I squealed with disbelief. Both of us were laughing hysterically.

"We all had wild days," she smirked. "Now go check the oven. I suspect it's done," she nudged me playfully as we walked into the kitchen to check my work.

"Careful, it's hot! Ouch!" I gasped.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah... I told you it's hot," I lifted the lasagna out of the oven and distributed into our plates, involuntarily sucking my burned finger.

Idina forked a piece of lasagna, carefully placed it under her nose and blew to cool it down with pouted lips and closed eyes. The cutest thing you could imagine. I made a mental note, smiling as I picked up my fork.

"Hmm...delicious," she said with mouth stuffed with food. "So tell me, where did you learn to make it?"

"My mom taught me to make lasagna when I was twelve and I had loved cooking ever since. But sometimes my cooking is just disaster. Once I tried to make my mom a birthday cake and almost blew up the whole kitchen."

"But you're so much better than me. I can't cook... well not exactly, I can only make sure the food isn't uncooked."

"It's okay. For cooking, the most important thing you need is experiment," I blinked proudly at her amused face. "Among your 100th attempts to make things right, there'll be where you don't blow up anything. I'll teach you! Or...I'll cook for you..."

My mouth was half open and hers ready to swallow when I realized what I just said, and we stared at each other, blacked out. "Sure, I'd love that," Idina was blushing unnaturally with a loving smile.

Now we were both staring down at our empty plates and suddenly looked up at each other, both wanting to say something. "You first," giggled Idina.

We talked about our school plays—we both played Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz as our first role! She was so envious of me being able to audition at eight years old. Her mom didn't approve her being working kid. "I wanted so badly to audition for Annie, but my mom disagreed. In the end it turned out I was too tall for the role and I cried over it for a week," she said.

"Least favorite chore?" We finally returned to Q&A.

"Do the dishes!" Idina blurted out. "Ugh that reminds me we still need to do the dishes. Lemme help you," she smirked.

"Why? You hate it!" I giggled.

"Cuz you are the chef, miss!" She chuckled and before I was able to stop her, took the utensils to the sink.

"T-Thank you," I murmured shyly.

Idina was doing the dishes with a serious look that I never saw another person possess. Strangely enough, even though she said she hated it, she was actually doing such a boring chore with a special charm and enjoyment—my enjoyment of watching her.

After Idina pulled back her brunette locks hanging down her cheeks for the tenth time, I can't help tying her hair into a ponytail. I felt my fingers through the soft brown curls and when I was finally done with her naughty hair, I rested my head on her shoulder, watching her slender fingers artistically (in my eyes) teasing back and forth with the flowing water.

"Thanks," beamed Idina. When she turned to look at me I could feel her happy breathing on my cheeks. Then she lowered her head, smiled to herself for a while and whispered in a slightly raspy voice.

"Kristen?"

"Hmm-hmm?"

"Call me Dee, will you?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

500K 16.3K 42
What would you do when your favorite fictional character came to life, standing right infront of you? Of course, as fans of today's fictional youth...
120K 6.2K 33
I'm going to tell you a story, a true one. It's my story. It's about how I met a boy who's life was so different from mine. He showed me his world. N...
2.4K 169 26
This is obviously a Jack x Elsa fan-fiction. I may not be the best writer, but here it goes. I know my story may not capture your attention or it mig...
101K 3.2K 26
Word count- 41,964 (Y/n) grew up close to the royal family. Her mother being the queen's closest friend. Though she was close with both the girls, sh...