Siren's Mark

By LuxRaven

When a chronically ill woman catches the eye of a Siren with supernatural powers of attraction, she must lear... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Sequel: Siren's Fall is COMPLETE! ✓
Bonus Chapters: 29 + 30 (Zane POV)
Bonus Chapter: 9 (Zane POV)

Chapter 56

20.3K 982 58
By LuxRaven

ℤ𝕒𝕟𝕖

The county permit office may very well be my least favorite place in town. The space is cramped with a ceiling so low it feels like the room is slowly collapsing on you. The walls are painted in a color I can only imagine is called 'Depressing Corporate Beige' and employees are separated by cramped cubicles. It looks like a warehouse where they store miserable government workers.

I'm here for another operating license for one of my commercial buildings in town. I look at my numbered ticket: 431. They're currently calling 380.

Bloody hell.

I consider charming my way to the front of the line, but it doesn't feel fair to everyone else here.

Damn.

In a way, dealing with a human problem like this is almost comforting right now---if only to get a break from the Immortal drama. Between the mark and Kami and living in a town infested with demons, it's kind of nice to be able to get irritated over waiting in line. It's one of the most normal-boring-human things you can possibly do, like complaining when Starbucks spells your name wrong.

An odd sensation pulls my focus. I feel a cold spot on my neck and chills run down my spine.

What the hell was that?

I would assume it was the mark if I didn't know Ava was asleep in bed.

The sensation grows, dozens of soft touches along my neck—almost as if Ava were kissing me.

She's not.

She can't be.

I feel more light touches on my neck and shoulders. This time I'm certain it feels like lips to my skin.

I'm suddenly drowning in panic at the possibility that Ava could be with another man right now.

Okay, I'm officially fucking insane.

Ava is not cheating on you, you idiot.

My mind floods with images of another man kissing her, touching her. I try to shake off the thought and focus on literally anything else.

A tight feeling around my wrist and then the other has me distracted again---it's as if someone is grabbing my arms.

My chest begins to tighten and I feel a panic rising in me.

I flash back to memories of gripping her wrists and holding them above her head while I...

WHAT THE FUCK.

Without even thinking I bolt out of my seat and head to my car at lightning speed.

This can't be happening. Ava wouldn't do this to me. She wouldn't.

What about that guy she was seeing, Dave?

Stop it. No.

Dave is fucking your girl, touching her, kissing her—right now.

I let out a frustrated growl and tug aggressively at my hair, as if I could pull out the intrusive thoughts.

I slam my foot on the gas pedal and peel out of the parking lot.

What about that blond nurse: Trevor?

Bloody hell. Why am I doing this to myself?

Is Nurse Trevor playing doctor with Ava?

Fuck off.

Are they in your bed?

"God fucking damn it!" I scream.

My window is open and I catch a judgmental look from a pedestrian with their child as I speed by.

The permit office is just minutes from our building, but right now it feels like an ocean away.

When I arrive at our building, I toss my keys to the valet and race to the elevator, frantically pushing the button for the penthouse floor.

She's probably fine. She's probably fine.

This all feels wrong.

Fuck.

My fists tighten as I watch each floor number light up. When I hit the penthouse level I practically force the elevator doors open and frantically race through the front door.

I hear Ava's voice softly mumbling from our bedroom. She's quiet, almost inaudible.

"Ava?" I call. "Baby, are you okay?"

I'm terrified and my chest feels like it's being crushed. As I head to the bedroom, I hear her whimpering and can just make out my name.

I find her alone in bed, her eyes closed and her body thrashing.

"Baby," I say, stroking her cheek. "It's okay, it's me. You're having a bad dream. Baby, wake up."

How can I feel what she's feeling in a dream? That hasn't happened when she's dreamed before.

"Help..." she mewls.

My heart breaks at the pain in her voice.

How long has she been alone and in fear, calling for me?

And I was thinking she was cheating on me.

I am such a prick.

"Ava," I call again, squeezing her hand. She continues to shake and shudder.

I grab her shoulders and shake her until she launches at me and begins to beat her fists against my chest. Her eyes are pinched shut and tears are streaming down her face.

"Stop it, Kieran!" she screams.

My heart drops into my stomach as she opens her eyes.

She wasn't having a dream.

⚠️ Trigger Warning: Content in the following section may be triggering for those who are sensitive to sexual assault themes.

𝔸𝕧𝕒

"Ava," a voice softly calls, waking me from a dead sleep.

I open my eyelids just enough to see the room lit in a dim red light.

Where is that coming from?

I groggily rub my eyes and reopen them. I see Kieran seated at the edge of the bed beside me, looking down at me with a slight smile. My body feels heavy and my vision is foggy. The air is hot and dry.

"What time is it?" I ask.

"Does it matter?" he asks.

"Well, I'm going to kill you either way, so I guess no."

He chuckles and I sit myself up at the head of the bed.

"What are you doing here?" I ask. I look to my left to see Zane isn't in bed with me. "Where's Zane?"

"Shhh," he says, placing a finger to my lips. "So many questions."

I slap his hand away from my mouth.

"Kieran, cut the crap, what's going on?" I ask. "Why are you here and why are you waking me up?"

"You don't tolerate anyone's bullshit," he says. "I like that."

"Zane?" I call loudly. "Why is Kieran bugging me?"

I receive no response.

"He went out," he said. "He asked me to keep an eye on you."

"That's weird," I say. "And it still doesn't answer my other question: why are you waking me up?"

"Well it's no fun if you're asleep," he says. "I wanted to get to know you better. You're intriguing."

"I'm really not," I say, rubbing my eyes again. "Especially not fresh out of bed. I'm a more-boring, more-grumpy version of my awake self, with the hair of a troll doll."

My muscles are weak and I find myself not resisting when he grabs my wrist and turns it over to look at my tattoo. His skin is cold as he traces his finger lightly over the lines where the mark peeks through.

"And yet, Zane was willing to give up his wings for you," he says. "Do you have any idea what that means? He isn't just any Siren."

"You mean the whole Iron Siren thing?" I ask, drowsily tugging my hand away. "Why is everyone so obsessed with that?"

"Because he's an anomaly," he says. "You know that he's known for being immovable. That he's spent his entire existence never letting himself get to close to anyone. Did you know he was the only Siren employed by The Council? Sirens usually aren't trusted to hold positions with them at all. They lose their cool too easily. It's bad for business."

"Kieran," I say. "I'm really tired... Can we skip the storytime and you just explain to me why you woke me up?"

"Where's the fun in that?" he asks.

"Well it'll be more fun when I slap a demon in the face and go back to sleep."

"Ooh, feisty little Ava," he says, placing a gentle hand on my cheek.

"If you woke me up to have some banter, I'm really not in the mood."

"That's not why I'm here," he says with a mischievous look, stroking my cheek.

"Then why are you here?"

"I'm more of a show than tell kind of guy."

In one swift motion, he's on top of me, propped up by his elbows resting on either side of my head. He lowers himself down and I feel his torso press down onto mine as he kisses my neck. His cold lips shock my system and I attempt to push him off me.

"Stop!" I shout. "Get off me!"

He lets out a sinister laugh and his eyes fill with black from edge to edge. I've never seen this side of him before.

"Kieran, you're scaring me!" I shout, attempting—unsuccessfully—to push him off.

"Really?" he says. His voice is calm and menacing, with a hint of amusement. "You're fighting a demon? Do you understand how weak you are in comparison to me?"

He grabs my wrists and pins them to the bed with hardly any effort, tracing his icy tongue along my collar bone.

"I thought we could do this the easy way," he says. "I just want to have some fun. I'm due a test run."

I struggle against him, but a feverish heat washes over me. My muscles are responding less and less to my mind's commands. Every inch of my body slowly feels like it's being weighed down by an impossible force, dragging me into the mattress.

"That's better," he says. The look on his face is not remotely human.

"Zane!" I scream. "Help!"

His wicked laugh echoes throughout the room. I try to move, but I can barely twitch a muscle. My arms and legs are frozen in place.

I scream louder, which only seems to encourage him. Kieran's face is twisted into an expression somewhere between delight and hunger. He's familiar yet so unrecognizable in this moment. It's as though he's been stripped of his soul.

"Stop it, Kieran!" I scream, struggling to free my arms.

Suddenly, the world around me shifts and I find myself opening my eyes to an unexpected face—Zane.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

716K 23.3K 62
He's mythologically hot, a little bit wicked, almost 100% immortal. And he'll hit you right in the heart . . . --- Lila Black doesn't believe in matc...
1M 37.8K 44
Seventeen-year-old Brielle Thompson never really had a normal life. She started hearing voices in her head and other people's thoughts when she was t...
544K 34.3K 67
When Sirens around the world start mysteriously disappearing, Zane and Ava set out to discover why and save the future of supernaturals. ...
106 14 9
Book 3 of the Sinniriel Saga ◇CAN BE READ ALONE BUT YOU WONT REALLY KNOW SOME CHARACTERS UNLESS YOU READ THE FIRST BOOK, DESERT LILY!!◇ Yareli had he...