In The Dark

AuthorXan द्वारा

Ren Chapelle and Ryder Jackson are long time high school friends. They had always been best friends and Ren t... अधिक

Copyright
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Engaged to the Future King of Russia
I Wanna Start Again

Chapter 34

6 1 0
AuthorXan द्वारा

Ryder

"Is there a reason as to why you're still sitting here and not going after her?" Devon asked.

"What was I supposed to do?" I snapped. "She's not my girlfriend."

"Ryder, if she remembers anything...we're all in trouble. Especially you. I know I'm the last person you want to hear this from, but your past is catching up to you."

"...How? I haven't done anything to her. Except for recently and she already fixed that problem on her own."

Devon sighed and got up from his seat. He walked around his desk to the bookshelf he had on display. I know he hasn't even picked up one of the books. They had to be fake. The warehouse is much bigger than it looks. If Devon's office seems small, then the room behind the bookcase is much bigger. Then I heard the beeping from a keypad. I knew it.

"Come on, idiot," he said. "There's so much you need to catch up on."

"Zach was over at my house yesterday," I said. "He didn't think he'd believe you had really fired me."

"I know."

"You know? Did you bug my house..."

"Of course not. Ren's father would have known the moment he walked into the house some days ago."

"I thought you didn't know any of his whereabouts..."

Devon only shrugged and pushed the bookcase aside. I stood up and followed him closely. I couldn't have him leaving me behind. We walked for a little then he opened another door I would have walked into if he hadn't backed up. We stepped in and I saw something I hadn't wanted to see in all my years of being here. It made me sick to my stomach and there was no backing out now.

"Mr. Woo?" I asked in disbelief and disgust. "What are you doing here?"

"I was hoping I could catch a ride with you to Italy," he said. "My private plane is waiting."

"Why Italy?"

"My son is there. He's in need of help and right now, it's you I trust."

"What about Zachary?"

Mr. Woo sighed and crossed his arms. I knew how he felt about Zachary. I didn't even have to guess.

"Right now...he's probably ruining what I fought so hard to make happen. Cynthia isn't going to wait any longer to take the throne. With or without Youngmin, she's going to take what she thinks is rightfully hers."

"What are we going to do about that? She has no one who is willing to fight her for it."

"I know a person."

"You do?"

"You know her, too. If you're able to convince her to go to Italy with you...we might be able to challenge Cynthia's birthright and get Youngmin into the position he belongs in."

I thought for a moment. I really liked Cynthia. I liked everything she stood for. The fact that I lost my chance to marry her to a foreigner wasn't helping this situation one bit. If Cynthia was going through all of this right now she would have called me. I wouldn't have met Mr. Woo here like this.

"Cynthia is also the type to keep her problems to herself," he spoke up. "Devon, would you give us a moment?"

Devon looked at me and I nodded. I wasn't scared of him. Never had been. After not seeing him for more than six years, I built up a tolerance to weak people. He was being weak now. Devon left the room and closed the door. His footsteps faded back towards his office.

"Ryder, if Cynthia or anyone in her family takes the throne...we're all doomed. The Italians are going to come after my family and our bloodline is going to be lost. Without your friend, we'll won't have another chance at getting the place we deserve."

Just as I was about to answer him, my phone rang. Mr. Woo looked me in the eye and nodded. We both had a hunch of who it may be. Since I hadn't heard from or about this person in the last couple of months, it wasn't going to be a friendly conversation. I slowly pulled the phone out my pocket and put it to my ear.

"...Hello?" I answered cautiously. "Cynthia..."

"Ryder," she breathed.

Or not. I guess Mr. Woo didn't know what he was talking about.

"Are you okay?"

"Couldn't be better. How are you? I'm sorry I haven't contacted you in a while. Just...been busy."

Busy? I'm afraid that's an understatement. How could someone just forget their friends and fly to another country without telling them? That's neglect.

"It's fine. Are you alright? Is there anything you need?" I asked.

"No. I'm in Italy now and--" Cynthia started.

"Italy?" I exclaimed. "What are you doing there? Why didn't you tell me you were going?"

"You see..." She laughed a little. "It's a long story involving so many things. When you get here, I promise to explain everything to you."

"Everything?" It was my turn to laugh, but I didn't.

"Yes. Every little detail. I miss you so much."

"...Oh. I guess I'm leaving tomorrow then. Where are you?"

"Milan. I can send you the address once you land. Is that fine with you?"

"Of course. I guess I'll send you in two days?" Ryder chuckled. "Is Daniel there with you?"

"No. He's actually out with someone."

I looked at Mr. Woo and saw him mouthing a name. I immediately knew who and wondered what she had to do with this conversation. Who would have thought she had something to do with an entire different family overseas?

"Cynthia," Ryder said. "I want to bring a few friends with me. Is that fine with you?"

"Of course. Your friends are my friends," she exclaimed.

"Hmm. See you later."

"Later. I can't wait for you to get here and meet Lucio! Love you."

"Love you, too."

I put my phone away and sighed. So Ren was destined to stop this madness? What if it were someone else? Ren didn't seem like the type of person to know anything about leading an entire country. I don't think she even knows about the mafia.

"Zachary is already there. You need Ren to control the King of Malaysia."

"The King of Malaysia?" I shook my head. "There's no way she can control a king."

"There's so much you need to know about, son. Go to her and get her to go to Italy. I leave in two days, so you had better tell her now." Mr. Woo got up from his seat and left the room.

⁜ ⁜ ⁜ ⁜

I watched from afar as Ren and Zach walked together. Before I could even get close, the two of them kissed. Ew. I just walked past like I didn't see anything. More time for me. What I heard next sounded like brainwashing.

"What do you say we go and get us some kids?"

I almost tripped. What the heck was she talking about? Kids? How had I not known they were coming to Vegas for more than just a building? Hmm...

I walked into the hotel and was met by the staff. They welcomed me back into the building and offered me one of the best suites in the hotel. Either Ty had something to do with this or they were wanting me to give them good ratings.

"Mr. Jackson, I'd love to show you to your room. We have all your luggage ready for you."

"I'm fine," I declined the offer. "Maybe you could give me a tour of the garden I saw earlier tomorrow morning?"

"Of course, sir." The woman smiled at me and watched me leave.

I got into the elevator with my key and prayed I didn't see anyone I knew. When I got to the top floor, it was swarming with the staff. Many of them were talking to each other while others were bringing towels and things to other rooms. I kept my head down as I searched my room. There were only three doors, but it felt like more with how big they were. I found mine and as soon as it was unlocked I zoomed in.

The lights turned on as soon as I walked in. It lit up the large room in front of me. I was just staying for a night and this is what I get? Nice. This had to be just one room. Imagine what the rest of the suite was like. I took off my shoes and put my card away. Well, I'm tired. I'll just look at the rest of it in the morning.

After a shower, I turned on the TV and sat there. Not watching it or even listening to it. I'm sure I dozed off a bit, because my phone ringing scared me senseless. It was Devon.

"What?" I grumbled.

"Idling isn't something I like from my agents, Ryder," he said. "You shouldn't be watching TV."

I sat up. The volume wasn't even up all the way. How was he hearing it? Or was he watching me? I immediately hung up and went on a search to find whatever was in the suite. Of course no one would get me a nice room to enjoy on my own. I happened to find six different cameras set up and three listening devices. Devon...

I couldn't be here anymore. I got my jacket and hightailed it to the nearest phone. I needed to call Ren before they found another way to watch me. Zach's father owned this hotel and the minute he found out I wasn't working with his son, he'd have me thrown out. I had to work fast.

"Hello?" Ren answered.

"Hey, where are you?" I asked.

"At the mall. Is there a problem?"

"No. I wanted to ask you something. It's a little out of the blue, but I hope you can say yes."

"...What is it?"

I could hear the annoyance in her voice. Yes, I was the last person you wanted to hear from right now, but at least hear what I have to say.

I sighed. "I'm flying to Milan tomorrow and I was wondering if you...if you wanted to go with me," I said. "If you don't want to, you don't have to, but I really want you to."

"You're asking me?" she asked in disbelief. "You're not going to force me? Did my mom put you up to this?"

"No, she doesn't even know I'm leaving."

"Can't you go alone? I'm in the middle of setting up a business here."

"I don't want to go alone. If I meet my friend alone...she'll think I'm talking crap when I tell her about you."

"Ryder, you're really annoying. You know that, right?" She sighed heavily. "I'll go, but I'm bringing Zach and the boys with me."

"Great. I'm assuming you'll leave with them and not me."

"Yeah. See ya."

She hung up leaving me with the dial tone. Well, I can't catch 'em all, can I? My phone rang again and I actually had to prepare myself to answer it.

"Look, Devon, this is the last time--"

"Ryder," Vanessa said. "What are you doing in Las Vegas?"

"Business," I muttered. "What's up?"

"Well, I wanted to see you today, but when I went by the house you weren't there. Devon was there and he told me you were in Vegas."

"I told you about talking to Devon..."

"I only asked where you were. Plus, you know I've always wanted to go to Vegas."

"Don't you have school?"

"I'm pretty sure I graduated some time ago," she snapped. "Are you coming back?"

"Tonight. I have to catch a flight in the morning," I said. "Before you rant about me not taking you anywhere and hiding things from you...I want you to go with me to Milan. Just a late anniversary gift, yeah?"

"Really?"

"Really."

⁜ ⁜ ⁜ ⁜

✖DAVI

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

30.8K 1.6K 32
"ɪ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ꜱᴏ ᴍᴜᴄʜ, ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪ ᴡɪʟʟ ᴄʀᴇᴀᴛᴇ, ᴀ ᴡᴀʀ ꜰᴏʀ ʏᴏᴜ!" When the past invades his present. When someone he thought as a brother, turned into an obse...
9.8K 576 66
What if two bipolar personalities clash together in a labyrinth of misunderstanding, promises, lemirence, new realizations and ultimately the deadly...
674K 12.6K 51
'For The Mafia' Series - Book 1 of 3! ~~~ "Down on your knees." He lets go of my hair and pushes my shoulders down roughly, before unbuttoning and sh...
Viridescence | Yunho ateezprecious द्वारा

रहस्य / थ्रिलर

32.6K 1.8K 53
Lee Jihyun goes on the typical mission for an agent like her: finding secret information on criminals- In this case, a gang. Everything goes smoothly...