The Undecided Title Of Sara M...

By Shylowdeath

"You need to know something," said Fili, taking her face in his large warm hands. "You will always have me. E... More

Chapter 1: The Door
Chapter 2: A Most Respectable Hobbit
Chapter 3: Home Invasion
Chapter 4: Quest
Chapter 5: Breakfast and a Bet
Chapter 6: Ink and Earmuffs
Chapter 7: Braids of a Difference Color
Chapter 8: Assumptions
Chapter 9: Swimming
Chapter 10: Kisses, Trolls, and an Argument
Chapter 11: Assessment
Chapter 12: Reconciliation
Chapter 13: On the Run.
Chapter 14: Flee For Your Lives
Chapter 15: Rest
Chapter 16: Heart Sister
Chapter 17: Not Water
Chapter 18: Visitor
Chapter 19: Wandering
Chapter 20: Diplomacy and Visions
Chapter 21: Council and Escape
Chapter 22: Into the Mountains
Chapter 23: Revilation
Chapter 24: Contemplation and Persuasion
Chapter 25: Rain, Rain, Rain
Chapter 26: Down and Out
Chapter 27: Captive
Chapter 28: Comfort and Secrets
Chapter 29: Awake
Chapter 30: Flight of the Dwarves
Chapter 31: Challenge Accepted
Chapter 32: Making Time
Chapter 33: Aftermath
Chapter 34: Teddy Bear Picnic
Chapter 35: Action
Chapter 36: Hidden Truths are Unspoken Lies
Chapter 37: Dark Inhabitants
Chapter 38: Lost and Found
Chapter 39: Pursuit
Chapter 41: Unwilling Guests
Chapter 42: Stolen
Chapter 43: Arrival
Chapter 44: Reunion and Recuperation
Chapter 45: The Past
Chapter 46: Memories and Letters
Chapter 47: Feast of Starlight
Chapter 48: Manipulation
Chapter 49: Plots
Chapter 50: Foiled Escape
Chapter 51: Under Attack
Chapter 52: Apologies
Chapter 53: Guests
Chapter 54: Unwilling
Chapter 55: Poison
Chapter 56: Compromising
Chapter 57: Statis Quo
Chapter 58: The Mark of Aule
Chapter 59: The Return
Chapter 60: Catching Up
Chapter 61: Crack in the Mountain
Chapter 62: Smaug the Magnificent
Chapter 63: Rescue and Revenge
Chapter 64: Home at Last
Chapter 65: The Madness of Preparation

Chapter 40: Ill Met

288 12 8
By Shylowdeath

Alright so its up. Sorry if you notice a few more errors in this one... with its length i miss more. Shout out to my nephew Gavin who is the only person that i know personally who is caught up with my story. Thanks for the motivation! Also go check out Broken Hearts by DreamingGalaxies. It's another fun one! To all of you who reviewed last chatper... wow! I'm blown away! Thank you so much, Maja, Memo, Temp Noel, and Sophteis. I'm sorry I could not reply to your wonderful messages. Clobrandwell, thank you for the longest review to date on ffn! Thank you!

Chapter 40:

In which they cross a river and get some food.

"Do ya think we could eat these mushrooms?" asked Bofur the following morning as they passed yet another cluster of the blue topped fungi.

"I would not risk it," answered Bilbo from behind her. "We hobbits are very familiar with mushrooms, but I have never seen any quite like these blue ones here."

Sara tried not to think about her stomach as it clenched tighter. Instead, she remembered how pleasant it had been to sleep curled into Thorin's chest, his arms wrapped around her, and waking to his smell and warmth. Being the one on watch he had woken her first, kissing her temple lightly before setting about waking the others. Shortly thereafter they had continued on their weary way, but as Dwalin had chosen to walk beside Thorin, Sara had opted to walk with Fili, Kili, Bofur, and Bilbo at the back of the company. Every now and then Thorin would glance back at her and she would smile at him, as she did now. Fili, who was in front of her, turned to look at her, his eyebrows raised in question. She rolled her eyes and nudged him forward, trying to stifle her grin.

"What about these ones?" asked Bofur, pointing at some green and black mushrooms. Bilbo pulled a face.

"I don't know those either."

"Have you seen any that are edible?" insisted the toymaker.

"Not for about a week now, but even if I did recognize some, I still would not trust them." Bilbo hitched up his pants and adjusted his suspender straps. He was a far cry from the round faced, red cheeked hobbit she had met in Bag End; his clothes hung loosely on him and he looked disheveled and unkempt, but she supposed they all did. She didn't even want to think about how she smelled, but she guessed she didn't smell any worse than the rest of them, and probably better than most.

"I'm with Bilbo," she said, stopping to take a drink of water. It tasted muddy. "That's one of the universal rules of going through any enchanted forest: stay on the trail, don't drink the water, and never ever eat the mushrooms, even if a giant smoking caterpillar tells you to. Don't do it!"

"Smoking caterpillars?" said Fili dubiously. "What are you on about?"

"It's nothing," she said. "It's just another story from Earth."

"What's it called?" asked Kili.

"Alice in Wonderland," she replied absentmindedly as she followed behind Fili.

"Earth certainly has some interesting tales," sighed Kili, catching Bilbo's elbow as the hobbit stumbled on a loose stone.

"However odd it is lass, I say that's the first story ya tell tonight," said Bofur. "I think we could all use a good distraction."

"I think it's about time you shared some of your stories with me," she said.

"Do you hear that?" asked Fili, stopping so abruptly that Sara ran into him. They all fell quiet listening.

"Aye lad," said Bofur. "We better catch up to Bombur and keep an eye on him."

"Yes," said Bilbo, hurrying his step. "I don't fancy carrying him." Sara caught Kili's sleeve, irritated as the others rushed forward.

"What is it? What can you all hear?"

"I think it's the river from the book. It certainly sounds big enough."

"How far is it?" she asked, biting her thumbnail. Spotting the grim under the nail she thought better of it and let her hand drop to her side.

"Maybe a bit over half a mile," he guessed. Ten minutes later the group came to a halt as they came upon a sudden wall of fog, through which they could hear the river thundering by. As they crept closer through the mist they could see that either side of the path's white stones gave way to a short gravelly beach. The fog was so dense that they could not see more than about two yards in front of them.

"This must be it," said Bilbo loudly. "The enchanted river."

"It doesn't look all that enchanting to me," said Bofur, surveying the scene dubiously. Sara had to agree. The dark water near the shore moved with a sluggishness that reminded her of molasses, and it's surface was littered with fallen leaves and a gray-green algae that choked the bank. The trees along the river did not look healthy at all, instead they actually looked more rotted and dead than those that stood farther back. They retreated outside the fog bank wondering what to do next. Jutting up though mist were the remains of a high arched stone bridge which had long since crumbled and fallen into the river below.

"Sara," called Thorin over the river's roar. She saw him at the head of the crumbled bridge and pushed past several of the others and into the mist towards him. A hand found hers at the bottom of the bridge and Thorin pulled her upward till she stood with him at the edge. She looked back at the others and spotted a sullen Dwalin trying not to look at her and Thorin.

"What is it?" she asked looking around. She had to almost shout to be head over the rushing water below them. From their vantage point atop their portion of bridge they could see over the fog, though the far bank and the path were obscured by the other half of the bridge which was much taller than their side.

"I can see no boat," he said gesturing at the expanse of fog in front of them. "No boat, no bridge, no way to cross."

"What do you want to do?" she asked, chewing on her thumb again. His lips pressed together in a thin firm line as his eyes flicked to and for searching for a solution.

"It's a good twenty yards to the other side of the bridge."

"Could we somehow get a rope across the gap?" she asked.

"Perhaps, but I little like the idea of crossing a rope suspended above a river that makes such a sound." He looked at her. " If someone were to fall, their recovery would be impossible."

"Uncle!" came Fili's voice. "I found something!" He stood with the others looking up at them. She and Thorin descended and followed Fili to the left to where a tangle of roots and vines extended out over the river. "What about these? They look strong enough."

Sara backed out of the fog to glimpse the others milling around on the path, watching.

"What is it Sara?" asked Thorin.

"It only just occurred to me," she said biting her lip. "We're off the path but can see and hear the others, and my mind is clear."

"I hadn't even thought about that," said Fili, frowning as he appeared by their side.

"It will be the water," said Thorin ducking back into the fog. They followed him. "Likely it washes away all enchantment but its own, especially where the path is broken." He stepped forward tugging on a vine before testing his weight on an exposed root. Finding it to be sturdy he called for the others to join them.

"We will try and cross here," he said once the others had gathered.

"Try?" asked Ori.

"There is no way to know if there is a true path across until one of us tries," said Fili.

"We should send the lightest across first," said Dori from the back. Everyone turned to look at Bilbo.

"Me?" squeaked the hobbit, stumbling slightly as Gloin pushed him forward. "Must I really? I don't like the look of that water."

"No one asked you to swim it," said Oin.

"Well no but still..."

"I'll do it," said Kili, stepping up beside Bilbo, placing a hand on his shoulder. "I'm not too much heavier than him and my eyesight is still better than his." Thorin eyed him carefully before nodding in approval.

"Very well, you may go first, but be wary." said Thorin as Kili came forward. "If it becomes too dangerous, turn back. Don't take any unnecessary risks."

"No unnecessary ones," said Kili, stepping out onto the roots. He disappeared into the mist and all was quiet as they waited with baited breath.

"Isn't he across yet?" she asked no one in particular, breaking the silence. It had been five minutes.

"Who knows how long it may take," answered Balin. Time crawled by and Fili began to pace until Thorin gripped his shoulder, stilling him.

"He's there," said Bombur pointing. Kili stood on the other side of the crumbled bridge waving his arms to get their attention.

"It's a wonder we didn't hear him, even with this roar we should have been able to," said Nori.

"It may be a part of the river's enchantment," said Thorin as Dwalin reached the bridge's edge on their side. After a bit of shouting back and forth Dwalin returned.

"He said it's stable enough and could hold at least two at at a time but that there's a tricky spot in the middle," reported Dwalin. "It's right hard to hear over the river, I suggest we use hand signals."

"Right," said Thorin, turning to her. "You will come with me. The rest of you follow as you see fit. Don't touch the water and return to the path without delay. Nori you stand watch from the bridge and Dwalin, bring up the rear and be on guard. Something is off about this stretch of forest... more so than the rest. Come Sara." Thorin took her hand, guiding her out onto the roots that shot up from the sluggish water. The wood was slick with algae and slime and she soon as let go of his hand in lieu of holding onto a vine.

"Stay close," he said. She glanced back, but the company had already vanished from sight. Gradually they crept forward, her feet slipping occasionally on the wet bark. After a few minutes Thorin stopped. Kili had been right. Here in the middle of the river the water charged past under their feet with a deafening ferocity, matching ever the swell of the river Kili had fallen into. There was at least a ten foot gap in the vines and roots, and in the midst of the rushing water separating them from the other side, a rock hunkered in the river, it's surface covered with moss and slime. Without a word Thorin leapt and was on the rock, another leap and he was on the other side, a hand extended to her.

"Jump. I will catch you should you falter," he said. She looked at the gap, a knot of anxiety forming in the pit of her stomach. She studied the rock looking for a place to land and push off again. She gauged the distance trying to ignore the water roaring past.

"It looks so far."

"Not too far," he said. "You are more than capable of the jump."

"Maybe so, but my brain keeps saying not to do it," she said, bouncing on her heels, trying to loosen her calf muscles which had seized up.

"Don't think of it as jumping a river, think of it as jumping to me," he said. He moved to the very edge of the roots and leaned out ready to catch her. "Don't pause on the rock."

"Alright," she said, shaking out her arms and hitching her pack higher. She threw herself forward, fear spiking through her veins. She made it to the rock but as she pushed off again she knew it was no good. Her foot slipped, cutting her momentum in half. The black water rushed to meet her and she flung out her arms in a desperate attempt to catch something, anything. The icy water closed around her feet, but just as she was sure she was going to be swept away, Thorin's hand caught her wrist. Her feet dragged through the water as he swung her up to stand beside him on the broad root. Her heartbeat raced and she worked to calm herself as he drew her into his side.

"Sara are you all right?" he asked, clearly panicked as he searched her face. "Are you sleepy?" She paused to examine herself, but found the adrenaline rush had her quite alert.

"The farthest from it."

"Have you forgotten anything? You're the one person we can't afford to have lose their memory." She frowned up at him.

"Well I would hardly remember if I had forgotten, would I. But no, I don't think I have. I think you have to be submerged or drink the water for it to affect you." He didn't look convinced. "Really I'm okay," she assured.

"If you are certain. Let's get to the shore." A few minutes later they were on the stony bank and they exited the fog bank. Kili waved to them from his place on the bridge before sighing to Nori to send the next pair over. Thorin went to stand beside him and Sara stood looking down the path as it stretched into the distance. Thorn was right, something did feel off about the forest surrounding them. She felt eyes on her but it didn't feel the spiders or the forest creatures. She searched the surrounding woods for anything unusual and her eyes landed on the path. There was a growing shape on the path in the distance.

"Thorin, Kili," she yelled. They looked down at her and she pointed to the figure approaching. Thorin shot several hand signals to Nori and in seconds they were at her side. They watched the shape grow for a moment.

"Ready your bow," said Thorin, but Kili already had an arrow notched and ready to lose. Thorin took her arm and drew her back into the fog beside he and Kili before pulling his own bow over his shoulder.

"We must bring it down in one shot, fell it instantly. We can't afford to track it off the path."

"What is it?" she asked.

"A stag," said Kili, his eyes sparking with excitement.

The deer was close enough now that she thought she could make out its shape. They were going to have food again! It had been four days since they last ate and while they were not in immediate danger of starvation she had definitely felt a lack of energy. At the thought of roasting meat she became aware of just how hungry she truly was, the tight pain in her belly twisting in anticipation. The stag was about 50 yards off and both dwarves raised their weapons, poised to release, waiting. As it approached the animal slowed and then stopped, nose twitching, its ears twisting back and forth. Cautiously it came forward and Sara held her breath, praying to whatever deities she could think of. The animal was now some 20 yards off, but again it stopped. Suddenly its ears fell flat against its head and it turned to dart away, but Kili was faster. There was the sound of one bow releasing and the another. With a whoosh and a thump Kili's arrow buried itself into the deer's skull dropping it where it stood. Elated, Sara let out a cheer and Kili ran to his kill.

"Kili, wait!" hissed Thorin, reaching for him, but Kili was already at the deer's side, yanking the arrow from it's head.

"What happened to your arrow?" she asked, looking to Thorin. "Did you miss?" She froze, for in his hands he still held his bow, his arrow notched on the cord. She looked back toward Kili to see another arrow protruding from the stags body on the far side where she knew the heart to be.

"But if that's not your arrow," she asked in a whisper as Thorin drew his bow taught again. "Who's is it?"

An arrow slammed into the crack between the white stones by Kili's knee and the dwarf prince froze. Slowly he reached for his arrow which was resting on the ground but another shaft dug into the path centimetres from his fingers.

"I would advise against it dwarf."

A figure dropped from the trees and landed several yards from where Kili knelt. It was an elf. There was no mistaking the height, the slender build, and the pointed ears sticking out of the almost platinum blonde hair, the top half which pulled back in a fishtail braid. He was clad in a dark green leather jerkin which was pulled over a loose cream colored tunic and dark brown pants. Strapped to his back was a quiver of arrows and two silver short swords, and in his hands he held a longbow, an arrow pointed with deadly accuracy at Kili. Thorin trained his arrow on the elf and Sara held her breath, wondering if she should stop him. She never got the chance. Another elf joined the first, this one a female with bright copper hair, also pulled back in the similar fashion. She was dressed nearly the same but with a brown leather jerkin that hugged her ample curves. She held a bow at the ready. Blondie turned to look directly at where she and Thorin crouched low in the unnaturally thick fog bank.

"If you wish your companion to remain unharmed, surrender your weapons quietly," said the blond elf. "Do not attempt to warn the others of your party. Even if they could hear you, I have archers in the trees with arrows trained on them. We would prefer to take you captive without bloodshed, but we are not unwilling." Sara could hear Thorin's teeth popping and grinding ominously and she feared he might actually crack them. She rested a hand on his forearm but he did not lower the bow, although his gaze flicked to her out of the corner of his eye momentarily. She leaned into him, her nose pressing into his hair just over his ear.

"We knew this would happen eventually," she reminded him, whispering as quietly as she could, hoping the river interfered with the elves hearing as well.

"It was not supposed to happen this way," he growled quietly. "Or this soon."

"Nothing has happened the way it's supposed to for quite a while now," she whispered. "But if you kill him, we will definitely be enemies with the elves. Is that really what you want?"

"It's your plan to befriend them," he growled. "Not mine."

"Maybe so, but that doesn't mean that I'm wrong. Besides, are you going to risk Kili, you gave him your word. You tell me, what's the best way to live up to that promise?"

"Are you coming out?" called the elf. "Or shall it come to violence?" She squeezed Thorin's arm and after a tense moment, his grip relaxed.

"Tell them nothing of our Quest," he hissed as he pulled her to her feet. "They are to know nothing. They are not our friends."

"Yet," she murmured as they came out into the open. He scowled at her.

"Wise decision dwarf," said the elf as Thorin reluctantly dropped his bow and quiver of arrows. "All your weapons if you please, along with your packs." Sara set her bag down and took the knife off her hip, stepping back. Thorin held Orcrist in his hands, his knuckles white, but after a few moments indecision, and a look at Kili, his fingers went slack, the blade falling to the ground.

"And you dwarfling," said the copperheaded she elf, gesturing to Kili with the tip of her arrow. "Away from my kill and surrender your weapons."

"Your kill," exploded Kili. "I shot and killed the Stag!" Sara had rarely seen Kili so angry. His brows were drawn so low and close they were almost one dark line across his face, and his actions were jerky and harsh as he threw his sword, bow, and hunting knife to the ground. Copperhead bent forward and yanked to the arrow from the animal side, waving the bloody arrow under Kili's nose.

"I also shot the stag, and it would still be dead without your meddling."

"Meddling," spluttered Kili in disbelief. "You know mine was a harder shot. You would have had to track it into the woods had I not dropped it."

"Kili," warned Thorin.

"The hart is mine," said Copperhead.

"I shot first!" yelled Kili.

"Enough," said Blondie, his tone frigid as he leveled his bow on Kili. "Step back and be silent. The young should not speak to their elders that way. You have yet to even grow into your beard." Kili's jaw snapped shut with an audible clack. At this moment Fili and Ori staggered forward, an elf behind them.

"My brother is of age," said Fili sternly, tugging Ori's sleeve. "Our father's beard was slow to come in and Kili takes after him." The elf behind them was dark in hair and dressed similar to the other two save the dark green ribbon that held his high ponytail in place.

"Your weapons and pack. Now!" said Ribbon Boy, nudging Ori forward with his arrow tip, making him jump. Fili turned and swatted the weapon away.

"Are all elves so impatient?" asked Fili. "With such long lives you would think them more patient."

"Are all dwarves so impudent?" asked Blondie as Fili and Ori came forward.

"Most of them," quipped Fili. Soon their packs and weapons, including five of Fili's knives were in a pile at the elf's feet.

"You," said Blondie, pointing at Fili. "Go to the bridge and call the others over as normal, and keep your hands in plain sight. I know of your dwarvish hand signals. If you attempt to warn the others I will make sure it is more trouble than it is worth to you." Fili looked to Thorin who had nodded.

"All right, but know that if you harm my sister in any way I will make sure you regret it deeply."

"What of your other companions, your brother?" asked Blondie wryly.

"That goes without saying," replied Fili disappearing into the mist. "But they are all capable." He reached the edge of the bridge and raised his hand to call across to Nori, having to shout to be heard over the roar of the river. He stood listening for a moment before yelling back.

"Kill shot a stag and uncle is helping him with it. All is well. Hurry over. We shall eat heartily tonight." A few seconds later he had returned to them."They are sending Balin and Bilbo next," he said to Thorin as he came to stand beside Sara.

Blondie strode forward examining her after instructing Ribbon Boy to wait for Balin and Bilbo.

"You are no dwarf. Why does a human female travel with a troupe of dwarves, and why does this one claim you as a sister?" he asked. She glanced at Thorin and Fili. Thorin shook his head minutely and Fili shrugged. Kili was busy watching discontentedly at Copperhead began to clean the deer. Employing the same tactic he had used with Nori she began to speak, spinning truth with fantasy.

"I was lost in the wild. My family was killed by trolls while we traveled. These dwarves saved me and are helping to reunite me with my living kin. If I have any," she added quietly.

"How did you come under the protection of this dwarf in particular," he asked pointing at Fili with a finger. "Dwarves are not known for their trusting nature."

"Mistrustful we may be, but heartless we are not," said Thorin. "It was plain to see she offered no threat and was in a desperate need of help. We could not in good conscience abandon a lone woman in the wild simply because she was human. We don't turn away those in need of our help," said Thorin pointedly, his arms folding over his chest as he glared at the elf. "We dwarves are not so dishonorable." The elves mouth twitched in annoyance.

"But a sister?" asked the Elf, dubious.

"Heart sister," corrected Fili.

"How did that come to be?"

"She once saved my life," said Fili simply. "We have grown close and I would see her taken care of should we be unable to reunite with her with living kin."

"Heart sister is hardly the easiest course of action to see to that end," said Blondie. "Why not simply take her as your own?"

"That is not my place, and as I say, she is my sister." Blondie frowned and was about to ask another question but was diverted by the arrival of Balin and Bilbo. After surrendering their weapons and packs at a nod from Thorin they came to join the others.

"Go call the next one's over," said Blondie, gesturing to Fili. "Now," he said once Fili had returned. "Tell me, what is your purpose here? Why do you travel on the path of my kin?"

"We are but simple merchants traveling from the Blue Mountains to see our kin in the Iron Hills," said Balin from beside Bilbo.

"Indeed," said Blondie, crossing his arms and leaning over the old diplomat. "While the destinations sound correct, your purpose is most certainly not. If you are really simple merchants then tell me, why do the Dwarf King, Thorin Oakenshield and his two nephews travel with you. It's hardly a king's business. And please don't insult my intelligence by lying again."

"How do you know me," asked Thorin sharply.

"While you were but a young boy when I saw you sleeping in your fathers arms, I could hardly forget you." Sara studied the elf. It was sometimes hard to remember just how long they lived. "Besides that," continued Blondie. "For a race who are so distrusting and secretive you have an odd habit of wearing your identity in your hair. I have lived near the Lonely Mountain since long before your grandfather's grandfather was born. I know the symbol of the Kings of Durin. So tell me truly what draws out the King of the Dwarves?"

"We travel to discuss a family matter with Dain Ironfoot," said Thorin.

"Must be an important family matter. Do tell." No one spoke. No one moved. "Perhaps a stay in the King Thraduil's dungeons would loosen your tongue. It is likely your eventual destination. All that are found on this path must be brought before him."

"I'll tell you," said Fili suddenly. Thorin shot him a look of warning which Fili ignored. "We go to see Dain because there is one among his people who is to be my future wife. The heart daughter of Dain Ironfoot." Blondie straightened, examining Fili with an unreadable look.

"While it is a much more plausible explanation, you are rather forthcoming for a dwarf," he said, tapping his fingers idly on his elbow, studying them in turn. "To forthcoming if you ask me."

"We didn't," said Kili. Blondie ignored him.

"I believe you are still lying," he said, turning to the commotion behind him.

"Who would have imagined we would run into elves on an elven path," said Bofur, snatching his hat back from Ribbon Boy as he and Bombur were led forward, having just finished their climb across the river. Soon enough the brothers stood with the others. Bofur glanced around at the others frowning at their heart and expressions. Sara looked at Kili who was still glaring daggers at Copperhead, his jaw working, his hands shoved deep in his pockets. Fii left to call again and returned minutes later.

"What's with all the sour faces?" asked Bofur, smoothing down his mustache. "We already knew this..." but his words were cut off at a sharp command in dwarvish from Thorin. Bofur argued back in kind, and Thorin's voice grew in volume, a full-blown argument in danger of breaking out.

"Be still," shouted Blondie, once again drawing his long bow. "Do not speak in Dwarvish again."

"Why not?" protested Bofur. "Ya will no doubt be speaking in Elvish so we don't understand. Why can we not do the same?"

"Because I don't trust you," said Blondie, raising his bow.

"Unthinkable," said Bofur. "What's not to trust?"

"If you were so trustworthy you would not need to speak in a different tongue," said the elf.

"He's got you there," said Fili, drawing Sara to his side, tucking her under an arm. Blondie watched them, his brow creasing before he turned his attention to Bilbo.

"What of you master hobbit? Why are you with this party? What has taken you from your snug home?" Bilbo looked at his companions unsure, but just as Sara was sure he would falter, Thorin nodded at him and Bilbo's eyes lit up. He turned to face the elf.

"My name is Bilbo Baggins. I'm from the Shire."

"I have been to the Shire little one. It is a beautiful if not a simple place. Tell me Mr. Baggins why have you left such a haven? It is most unlike a hobbit to travel this far."

"Indeed that is true. I was often the sorrow of my father, though the pride of my mother; herself being a Took, she understood and encouraged my more wild antics. But family aside, I needed more information and experience."

"For what?" Bilbo made a show of being embarrassed, his round cheeks flushing as he rubbed one callus foot over the other.

"Well if you must know, it has always been my aspiration to write a book, only it is most difficult to write about something you have never experienced. It was only a distant dream until I met Mr. Bofur here in the village market," he said gesturing to Bofur. "He told me, you see he is quite talkative for a dwarf, anyway he told me he was part of a company of traveling dwarves. Hearing this I was sure to invite them to stay with me for the night. Little did I know how much trouble a group of dwarves this size could be to host."

"Yes," said the elf, his eyes flicking over the assembled dwarves. "They can indeed be entertaining... and tiresome to host. I remember our limited dealings with them long ago. But tell me how did you come to join the party?"

"Well as I was hosting them I decided that I would simply have to convince them to take me along. I fetched what remained of my life savings and offered it to them in recompense."

"And they took your offer?" asked the elf, clearly skeptical.

"Well Mr. Bofur and his kin did, after all it was no small sum I offered. The Baggins's were well enough-to-do enough before my father married my mother, and with no family left to say how I spent my wealth..."

"And you did not object to this venture?" asked the elf, looking at Thorin in disbelief.

"It is honest if not simple work to guard a single hobbit," he said affecting an insouciant air, waving his hand casually. "I cannot dictate how Mr. Baggins spends his money, nor who accepts it. I would not stand in the way of honest work. Mr. Baggins more than paid his way and has since proved a useful companion." The elf didn't look convinced but was distracted by the arrival of Dori and Bifur who said something in dwarvish.

"No more dwarvish," said Ribbon Boy, bow raised.

"Ya will have to excuse my cousin," said Bofur for jumping forward, his hands raised in surrender. "Since his injury he's been unable to speak any other language than our native tongue. But he can understand Westron."

"Then he best remain silent," said Blondie, turning to Fili. "Call again."

"So," said Blondie. "A company of dwarves out on family business agrees to take along and guard a hobbit whom they have never met before, and along the way they also pick up a wayward woman out of a sense of honor. They agree to see her safely to Lake Town, going so far as to adopt her should she no longer have family?"

"The offer was made by my nephew," said Thorin scowling. "And while I have no ill-will for the woman, she will never become his heart sister. I will see to it." Fili huffed irritably as he returned, having apparently heard Thorin.

"I believe that maybe one of the only honest things in this wild tale you have all concocted. I sense grains of truth in it but I would be a fool to take you all at face value," said the elf.

"You can hardly blame us for protecting our secrets from a stranger who has not so much as given his name," said Balin. "Especially one who holds us against our will at threat of violence."

"And yet that is another oddity about your group. You surrendered far too quickly for dwarves. Frankly I was expecting a fight."

"The fight tends to go out of ya when ya have not eaten for four days," groused Bofur. Bilbo nodded in agreement.

"I don't know," said Kili, scathingly. "I would be willing to put up a good fight if only to get my Stag back." He was still glaring holes in the back of the elf's head. She in turn ignored him as she tied the feet of the animal together.

"I'm willing to bet you get plenty of fight out of the last two of our company," said Fili, nudging his brother.

"Why have you gone hungry for four days?" asked Blondie, addressing Sara. "Surely you were not so foolish as to enter the woods without ample supplies."

"We probably would have had extra, but we hadn't planned on inadvertently feeding the squirrels," she said, tugging on the braid behind her left ear. "We left our camp to go save some of our companions who we had been separated from and when we returned, a majority of our food was spoiled."

"Save them from what?"

"The giant spiders."

"You should not have left the path." said Blondie, frowning. "Come to think of it, how did you find your way back onto the road? It should be impossible."

"Well it's not, you just have to get creative."

"Creative?"

"The first day some of our party went off the path and could not find their way back. They tied a rope around me and I went out after them. After they were all tied on the others dragged us back." Blondie's expression was blank for several seconds while he absorbed her words, but then but then a chuckle escaped him.

"Oh! I would give my best bow to see that scene play out," he said, still chuckling. Several of the dwarves glared at him. "It was then you encountered the spiders?"

"No. We were attacked on the path on the fourth night."

"You lie. That is impossible. There is a spell on the path that protects those on it from the influence of the forest and the dark creatures within."

"I didn't lie," she said defensively. "The spiders attacked us on the path, three times! The last time, yesterday, it was not even dark yet."

"I tell you, that's impossible."

"Well the spiders didn't get the memo," said Sara, folding her arms.

"If you don't believe us, perhaps you should venture back to our last nights campsite," said Balin. "The bodies of nine spiders that attacked us lay in the bottom of the ravine."

"I don't have time to go chasing fairy tales," said Blondie, waving a hand. "You are to be brought before King Thranduil for questioning without delay."

"Then for Mahal's sake, why are we being questioned by you," complained Bofur.

"Because I prefer to know as much as possible about those I escort, but as none of you wish to speak the truth, I will simply have to leave you in the king's hands. What made you choose to take this path to begin with?" asked the elf looking between Balin and Thorin expectantly.

"Surely you've heard that the Old Forest Road has fallen into disrepair and is now overrun by the forces of The Necromancer in the South," said Balin.

"I had heard something of the sort, but we have not ventured that far south since the fall of Sauron and the last alliance of men and elves." Copperhead snorted and said something to Blondie in Elvish. He frowned before responding in kind but was interrupted by the noisy arrival of Oin and Gloin who were struggling against the elves that held their arms despite Ribbon Boy pushing them with the point of an arrow. The two who held them looked to be brothers if their faces and chestnut hair were anything to go by.

"Be still," called Thorin. Oin and Gloin shot him dirty looks after but after a second they relented, allowing the elves to lead them forward and strip them of their possessions.

"One last time if you please," said Blondie, gesturing to Fili.

"All right but I warn you, these last two wont surrender without a fight," said Fili, turning to climb the crumbled bridge a final time.

"You say you were attacked on the path by spiders," said Blondie, once again folding his arms. "But that is still impossible, the magic would have prevented it." His hand shot out before Sara or any of the others could react and caught her left wrist. He peeled off her glove to reveal the white scar Azog had burned into her skin. "Perhaps you were attacked but I don't think it was the spider's. I'm not unfamiliar with this name, nor your personal history," he said looking to Thorin in challenge. "You would lead your enemy into an Elf Kingdom." Sara yanked her hand free from the elf and snatched her glove back from him.

"That happened before we entered the forest," said Sara tugging on her glove rather forcefully. "And it has absolutely nothing to do with the spiders that did in fact attack us on the path."

"You have done nothing but lie since we met. Why should I believe you?"

"Why would we lie about that," asked Fili as he drew her back to his side. Another hand reached for her elbow and reached and Thorin pulled her to him. She looked up at him, but his attention was on the elves, watching warily.

"The spiders are no lie," insisted Bilbo. "I only wish they were"

There was a roar of anger from the direction of the vines and a body flew through the mist to land at Blondie's feet. Ribbon Boy got to his feet, wiping blood from his lip from before swinging his bow over his shoulder, instead reaching for the sword at his hip and charging back into the frey.

"We told ya that the last two would put up a fight," smirked Bofur. Nori appeared from the fog, his hands tucked nonchalantly into his pockets as he approached Blondie. Carelessly he set his staff and pack at the elf's feet before coming to stand beside Bofur. Blondie eyes Nori suspiciously.

"I trust you least of all. No dwarf simply surrenders his weapon to an enemy. Why are you not fighting alongside your companion?"

"I'm not fool enough to stay in that maylay. I pity your men fighting him," said Nori. Another elf, this one unfamiliar with short black hair, came flying out of the mist, but this one did not rise. Sara was simply relieved to see the elf's chest rise and fall. "Besides," continued Nori. "When Fili came to the top of the bridge, I knew something was amiss. The last signal from Thorin was not to send anyone else unless he commanded it. That and it was odd that Fili would shout instead of use the signals."

"Yet you disobeyed and sent the others?"

"Our capture by elves on this path was inevitable, and I prefer not to leave my younger brother in your hands while I walk free."

"I still don't trust one who would sell out their companions without compunction."

"I never asked you to trust me, nor do I want it."

"It's best not to," said Bofur, flicking a speck of imaginary dust off his arm. "Nori is well known for being a sneak thief, so watch your belongings closely." The fight in the mist was growing louder, punctuated by more strikes of steel on steel and grunts of effort.

"By the stars above," said Blondie, his frustration clear. "This nonsense has gone on long enough." He drew his bow from his shoulder and raised the weapon watching the mist.

"Please don't shoot my brother," said Balin. "He's hot headed and bears a particular grudge against your kind. Let me try to call him." Blondie shifted his stance so his arrow pointed between Balin's eyes.

"Or I could simply hold you hostage." An axe flew from the fog with such force that it narrowly avoided depriving the elf of his fingers as it sliced through the wood of his bow and buried itself deep in a tree behind the elf head. Blondie started in surprise, and dropped the pieces to the ground before drawing a short sword from over his shoulder.

"Dwalin!" called Balin. "You do us no service by continuing to fight."

"It's no use. He won't listen," said Nori, taking a drawstring pouch from under his jacket. "You ought to know that. He'd rather die than surrender to an elf." Losing the ties Nori reached inside the bag and turned to Sara, handing her something wrapped in leaves before handing one to Bilbo as well. She removed the leaves to find a thin piece of dense bread. Eagerly she took a bite and the sweet nutty flavor exploded in her mouth.

"Dwalin!" called Thorin, his voice loud and clear. He spoke something into dwarvish and the commotion in the mist stilled and fell quiet. Blondie turned to glare at Thorin, but the Dwarf King simply pointed towards Dwalin as he emerged from the fog escorted by three elves. "I will speak whatever tongue I wish," said Thorin, his tone brooking no argument. "Unless you plan to cut my tongue from my mouth you cannot stop me."

Blondie released Balin and pushed his way to Thorin, holding the tip of his blade under Thorin's chin, but the Dwarf King simply crossed his arms over his chest glaring at the elf.

"Do not think I won't kill you," said Blondie. "Dwarf King or no, you are still trespassers here and a threat to my people, especially when you conceal your true purpose here in these woods. I only need one to get the answers I seek, and while you and your nephew's maybe royalty, the others are not." Thorin reached for Sara, pushing her behind him, as Fili and Kili stepped closer to Bilbo.

"Harm any in this company," growled Thorin, knocking away the elf's blade with the back of his hand. "And you won't live to regret it." Dwalin was shoved forward devoid of weapons.

"You're hardly in a position to be making threats," said the elf, sheathing his sword. He moved to stand in front of Fili and faster than a snake his hand shot into Fili's open coat. He pulled out one of Fili's knives. "Search them and tie them up," shouted Blondie, flinging the knife onto the pile of weapons.

The elf brothers stepped forward and dragged Ori away from the group, searching him roughly before tying his wrists together at the end of a long rope. There were six elves in total: Blondie, Copperhead, Ribbon Boy, The two elf bothers and the dark haired elf who was still out cold. Ribbon boy began to go through their packs, setting aside anything that looks suspicious. Next to be searched were Dori and Bombur but when nothing of interest was found they were also tied onto the rope. Oin and Gloin caused quite a stir as their pockets were emptied. Gloin seemed determined not to part with a large golden locket or his set of jewelers tools and Blondie had to intervene.

Sara stepped out from behind Thorin and snuck another bite of the wafer she had hid in her pocket. She suspected Nori had swiped the food off of the elves in all the commotion Dwalin had caused, but the pinch in her belly had long since outweighed any guilt she might feel consuming the stolen bread, especially as the elves have taken Kili's kill out from under him. Seeing Blondie return she stuffed the food back in her pockets. Bofur and Nori were next and when both were discovered to have the remains of the bread in their pockets, Blondie determined to know which of his entourage had lost their food to the pickpocket. It turned out to be the dark haired elf who was beginning to wake. He sat massaging his jaw. It looked a little crooked to Sara.

Not wanting to give up the food she had, Sara took a chance while the elves were distracted by the assortment of trinkets coming from Nori's pockets, including one of the elves' silver bracelets. She stuffed the remaining wafer inside the leaf wrapper down her shirt and into her bra. Her actions did not go completely unnoticed however, for Thorin was watching her, an amused half smile on his lips.

Finally, Nori and Bofur were both tied with the others on what was now resembling a chain, or in this case, a rope gang. As Bifur and Balin were searched, the elf brothers were joined by Crooked Jaw who made a rude hand gesture at Dwalin. The warrior reciprocated in kind, with feeling.

Thorin's hand was busy at his side and Sara stepped closer to mask his actions. In seconds the heavy metal key to Erebor was pressed into her hand. She looked up at him, started, as her fingers closed reflexively around the cool metal. He nodded minutely, his eyes darting to the under her shirt. She felt her ears heat up slightly, but nodded in understanding. Kili and Dwalin were next, and while Kili was compliant enough after his promise stone was returned, Dwalin did not appreciate the rough work over Crooked Jaw was giving him. An argument broke out and grumbling Blondie went to see to it once again. Sara quickly stuffed the key down her shirt to join the bread, glancing around to see if anyone had noticed. She thought perhaps that Copperhead had seen something as she poured water over her blood smeared hands, but when the elf made no move Sara let out a sigh of relief. The elves tied Kili and Dwalin on to the growing chain. She groaned internally when she saw Dwalin begin to strain and twist his arms in an attempt to snap the rope.

"Struggle all you wish," gloated Crooked jaw. "That is Elvish rope and cannot simply be broken by mear strength. It has to be cut." Even with his hands tied Dwalin managed another rude gesture.

"How is yer jaw," growled the warrior. "Broken?" Crooked Jaw turned sharply on his heels. Sara, Thorin, Fili, and Bilbo were the only ones remaining and Blondie motioned for Thorin and Fili to be searched. Within a minute, three more of Fili's knives had been found, the elves having to strip him to his tunic and trousers before being satisfied they had found them all. As the elves searched through Thorin's pouch a movement caught Saras eyes. She smothered a grin as Nori brazenly passed out yet another bag of the wrapped flatbreads, despite his hands being tied. The others quickly crammed the food into their mouths before Ribbon Boy noticed and demanded they return the food. Bofur spit the chewed bread into his hands offering it's the elf who groaned in fury and turned away to finish his search of the packs. Sara laughed as she tried to return her attention to Thorin. She thought she saw a small smile tug at the corner of his mouth. Despite her goal to make allies of the elves, she could not help but feel an affinity for her companions. They had, for the most part, accepted their temporary captors. She had never expected them to do that, but they had surprised her. Perhaps they had come to believe, as she, that it would be in their best interest to make allies of the elves once again. Well some of them anyway, she mused as Dwalin tried again to break the rope.

"Tie them at the front," said Blondie. Ribbon Boy approached with Orcrist and her puzzle box in hand. "Wait," said Blondie as he took the sword. He studied it before drawing it from its sheath. His brows furrowed in anger and he stepped towards Thorin.

"Where did you get this blade," he questioned, his voice stiff and icy.

"It was given to me," said Thorin, pushing the point away from his chest.

"You lie! This sword is of Elvish make and bears a great history among my people. Where did you get it!"

"He's no thief or liar," said Sara. Thorin shot her a look but she plowed on. Their stop Rivendell had nothing to do with their quest. At least not directly. "It was given him by Lord Elrond."

"Now I know you lie," said Blondie turning to her. "Why would Lord Elrond ever give this blade to a dwarf?"

"I suggest you ask him that," she said, shoving her hands in her pockets. "He interpreted the runes on the swords we found in the troll hoard. He told Thorin to keep it."

"You stole more than one!" thundered Blondie. "Where is the other?"

"We found both Glamdring the Foehammer and Orcrist the Goblin Cleaver in a troll hoard. Elrond entrusted Thorin with Orcrist and Gandalf with Glamdring. Unless you want to call the gray wizard a thief as well, you'd better accept our word on the matter as the truth."

"I do not accept your words as truth. This will be turned over to the king. Tie him up with the others." Thorin was led away and Blondie strapped Orcrist to his hip before leveling his gaze on Sara and Bilbo. "Tauriel," he called over his shoulder. Copperhead appeared at his side.

"Yes?"

"Search her," Copperhead, or Tauriel, stepped forward, slipping her fingers into Sara's pockets and Ribbon Boy handed her puzzle box to Blondie.

"I know you hide something in your shirt," said Tauriel quietly when she found nothing of consequence in her pockets. "Show me or I'll be forced to find it myself." Reluctantly Sara reached down her shirt and pushing the key deeper, withdrew the flatbread, holding it out to the elf. Tauriel sighed but waved away the bread. "Keep it. We have enough and to spare with the stag to eat. It's only a three-day Journey to the palace and that little scrap of bread could keep you going two days." Sara tucked it into her pocket after taking another bite, and Tauriel looked at Blondie waiting for instruction.

"That is a very curious ring you carry," said Ribbon Boy. Bilbo held the ring in his palm as the elves studied it. Sara's heart almost stopped as Blondie leaned forward to see, his hand outstretched to touch the golden circlet. Bilbo withdrew his hand a fraction of an inch.

"Rather a plain band of gold," said Tauriel dismissively, bringing Blondie to a halt. He withdrew his hand sharply from its place hovering centimetres over Bilbo's. "What do you want done with these two? Tied on with the others?"

"No," said Blondie, straightening. "They walk with us as an assurance that the others fall in line." He felt the weight of her puzzle box as her phone and charger shifted inside. Sara bit her bottom lip. How was she going to explain her phone to this elf? He shifted his grip before finding the pull pin but to his consternation he could not budge the little piece of wood.

"Who's pack is this from?" he asked, still trying to slide the wood free.

"Hers." Ribbon boy pointed at her.

"What is inside?" he asked, shaking it again.

"It's personal," she said, twiddling Fili's bead "They were some of my parents possessions."

"Why won't the box open?" he asked suspiciously. "And why are there Dwarvish runes carved on it?"

"Bifur and Bofur made it for me to keep my possessions safe. I'm not sure why it won't open. Perhaps the humidity has swollen the wood. Please be careful with it. Some of the items inside are fragile." Blondie tried once one last time and Sara chanced a glance at Bofur who smiled and winked at her. Thorin too was smirking slightly at the Elfs attempts to open her little box.

"Very well since it is of such a delicate nature and I cannot be sure you tell the truth, I will carry it for you until such a time as you can assure me of its contents." Sara sighed.

"It's not like I have a choice."

"No," said the elf. "It's not." He turned to the other elves. "Return their packs and let's get moving. We have wasted enough time." Quickly, all was set in order, their packs returned. While the elves carried the dwarves weapons the company was put to work carrying the Stag. Within two minutes they were off down the path, Sara and Bilbo walking between Blondie and Tauriel as the others strung out behind them being guarded by the other elves. Sara glanced back at her companions, missing their laughter and even their arguments. She looked at her silent captives. It was going to be a long day. At least she still had her friend Bilbo.

Whew what a chapter. Thank you for being patient with me. As we move into summer don't be surprised if it sometimes takes longer for updates. Don't worry, im not abandoning or forgetting... just busy. I stared this in the winter when its easy to be a shut in, but with the sun shining and three little kids summer is busy. I have a family reunion but will still try to keep you from waiting too long. Thank you all for your patience. Hopefully this was not a boring chapter and not confusing... if it ever is please let me know so I can fix it. Stay safe out there and thanks again for all the love!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.8K 1K 57
(Title Doesn't relate to the Arkenstone!) A young girl, whose race is barely known to Middle Earth is put in danger when she, her mother, and many o...
3.9K 160 24
One was to think a woman to be weak. Would see a woman stay home where she belongs. To hear silence from a woman unless spoken too. One would expect...
1.5K 65 13
A THORIN OAKENSHIELD x OC FANFIC Blair Baggins, sister to Bilbo Baggins, has lived in The Shire her whole life, considering what's beyond the border...
314K 11.8K 22
"You talk too much elf-boy," Arya muttered, her voice hoarse from all the screaming she had done due to the pain of her injuries. Legolas scrunched u...