The Lost Son | Ferry's Tale #...

By angelapoppe

"People in this town are more bound to fairies than they want to admit..." These words have been haunting Fer... More

The stranger
Changes (part one)
Changes (part two)
The nicest son alive
The mark
Under suspicions
First time
The blurry future
The maze
The last room on the third floor
Secrets, lies, and fireflies (part one)
Secrets, lies, and fireflies (part two)
Secrets, lies, and fireflies (part three)
The house of dust
Between the lines
Missing pieces
The match
Behind closed doors
Tangled threads
The guest
Fresh snow
The lullaby
Behind the window
Peeking through
The light inside the darkness
The lake house
Issues
Signs of springs, signs of storm (part one)
Signs of spring, signs of storm (part two)
Storm clouds
On enemy field
The Spring Fling
Confessions
Until my time shall come
Love marks (part one)
Love marks (part two)
Dinner with friends
Letting go
Eyes wide open
Shadow of a memory
Clashes
The disappearance of Bianca Knight
Whispers of the past
The end of spring
Residues of a heart
The good hearts of Goodharts
Noble blood touched by true love
White blood
In the shadows
The fairy hunt
Endings. Beginnings
The gifts
Farewell to home
Top 10 best moments in THE LOST SON
FAQ

In the name of friendship

8.8K 791 1.2K
By angelapoppe

"You see, Garrett, plants have unsuspected powers. Some are shown to us in all their splendor. Some are hidden from view. While others have more faces, and we have to find which is the real one. Many are misleading. Because in our world, as in many other worlds, for that matter, nothing is what it seems."

In Lavender's garden, Rosemary was teaching Ferry the secrets of plants. In a thick notebook with parchment sheets, each plant in Tenalach was drawn with the utmost accuracy. Ferry had learned that May helped with drawing the plants. Her drawings looked as if the real plants were hidden among the pages of the notebook. Ferry had never seen such curious plants. Nor such wonderful drawings.

"Look, for instance, this mushroom," Rosemary said, showing him a mushroom with an orange cap. "It looks like ceps from the human world. This is called Caesar's mushroom. It is also found in our land. And it's delicious. But unlike yours, ours has a particularity. In our land, it's called the mushroom of the chest. Because, when you find yourself under its influence, you say it with your whole chest, without being able to stop. A kind of truth serum, if you will, but one that makes you recognize your true feelings," she laughed. "But unlike its gills in the human world, those are greenish like dragonfly wings, but only if you look at them in the moonlight."

Ferry turned another page. There, he found a plant with dandelion-like fluff, but much smaller.

"Puffer flower," Rosemary told him. "The puff of this plant can reveal any hidden fairy. It's so annoying, that you can't stop sneezing and you must show yourself."

Ferry remembered that plant. He had tried it on his own skin, when a red fairy had once discovered him, in a world that now seemed so far away as if that memory came from a fairytale.The next page showed a plant with oval leaves and small white-yellow flowers.

"Oh, beast's grass," Rosemary explained. "It opens any padlocks, chests, and doors, giving the owner the chance of infinite wealth and the promise of boundless freedom."

"And that's why there are no diseases in the fairy world? So any plant can cure any disease?"

"Almost any disease, yes. You see, if fairies can't heal on their own, there are healers like me who do it. But there are also wounds that can be fatal to fairies. Such as the wound inflicted by the power of another fairy. Or iron."

"Can plants also cure people's diseases?" Ferry asked.

Rosemary's eyes turned sad. "I'm afraid not if it's a disease that people are born with ... Or a disease that they get during life. In the world of fairies, there are no diseases." But then the smile returned to her lips, "You know, Garrett, I'm so glad you want to know more about our world," the rabbit-woman. "Parsley told me you went back to training. This means that you will soon be ready to leave. All you have to do is reveal your fairy skills."

"I don't really know what powers everyone is waiting for me to reveal..." he said, shrugging.

"Before that, you must understand that you cannot have unlimited powers. No fairy can. We, the Amalghams, can change our shape, we can go invisible, and some of us can even fly, like Thyme. Not all fairies can fly, as you well know. Some have big powers, others smaller. Some powers are beneficial, others even dangerous for the fairy who performs them. Sometimes, a charm can only be used once in a lifetime, with dangerous consequences. As is the charm of Far and Away. And it can only be done by a Great Fairy or a descendant of them. But after using it, for a while, that fairy loses all the magic. Lavender was almost killed by this charm. And you have it, I'm sure of it. But this power can only be used once in a fairy's life so it must be used wisely. Your powers, when they come out, are truly great," she said, putting her hand on his shoulder, her eyes sparkling.

Ferry forced himself to smile, but his eyes betrayed him.

"What is it?" she asked.

"I don't know if I'm ready," he said. "I mean, on one hand, I want to help my people, to defeat the enemy and all the rest ... But on the other hand ... I don't want to leave this place, Rosemary," he said softly. "This is my home. All I know is here: my mum, my friends, the girl I like ..."

Rosemary turned serious, "You see, Garrett, sometimes we can't just do what we like. Sometimes we are forced to do things we like less or don't like at all. And believe me, people like me know this better than anyone. We were created to serve our masters. Those like you."

Ferry frowned, "But I don't see you as my servants. You are my friends."

"Maybe we're your friends here. But in Akna, things are different," she smiled bitterly. "In Akna, we are forbidden to show our feelings."

"Hmm, all of a sudden Akna doesn't look like the promised land, does it?" he said.

"It's not," Rosemary added. "Every nation, no matter how noble or advanced, has its flaws. But there is hope. Even for those like us."

"Hope?" Ferry wondered.

"Yes, hope. Some of us have risen above their condition. This means that our purpose is not just about serving. Our happiness is not only in the satisfaction of our masters. We are more than that."

"Sage," said Ferry.

"Sage," Rosemary agreed. "He is no longer just a fairy to help in the household. If he can turn into a fearless warrior from a house fairy, capable of his own choices, it means that there is hope for us, too."

Ferry hated to admit that Sage, of all his Guardians, was the one who evolved the most in the human world.

"But doesn't that mean it's against Akna's laws?" he asked.

"Sometimes, you need to resist them, if they are outdated and no longer serve the times. I think in Akna, the time for change shall come. And you are the one who will bring it," she smiled. "That's why you're so important to us all."

"When I'll become king, I will change this law for all Amalghams. Everyone will be able to love whoever they want. But can they love others who are not their own kind?" he asked.

"Are you saying if they can love other fairies?"

"No. I mean if they can love humans," Ferry said. His tone seemed insistent. He just needed to know.

"Oh, humans have always been fascinating to fairies. In Tenalach, they were so irresistible, the fairies kidnapped them and took them to live among them. But in Akna, humans are considered small in mind and soul. Selfish, greedy, and destructive. It would be difficult for a human to live in Akna. But we now know it's not like that," she smiled at him. "The humans around you are the exact opposite of what I once thought. But it will take a long time for the people of Akna to change their minds. Although it is a prophecy that speaks of a young woman who will change that," she said, giving it a thought.

But Ferry was not interested in the prophecies of Akna. He wanted to know what an Amalgham thought.

"Are all Amalghams capable of love?" he asked.

"I can only speak on my behalf and of those with whom I have lived for seven years," she said, looking away. "And I know that fairies can only love once. Me, Parsley, Lord Stephan. Even Thyme. Under his tough, feathered carcass, I know there's a heart that can love," she smiled.

"Thyme ..." Ferry said softly. "Where is Thyme?"

"He had to leave to replace Lord Stephan at the head of the army for a time. You see, Lord Stephan goes wandering from time to time. Nobody knows where. He says he needs to gather his thoughts and his strength. And Thyme is his right hand. He always has been."

Ferry nodded. "I'm sorry he had to leave so fast," he said in a low voice. "Thyme and I-- We didn't say goodbye on the friendliest terms ... I hurt him. A lot. I hope he can forgive me one day."

"Oh, darling, I think he already had," she smiled. "Thyme would do anything for you, Garrett. He would give his life for you. Don't ever doubt that."

*

Ferry had to admit--his life was far from normal. It had always been that way. But lately, things were getting even more complicated. And Ferry realized that, the very next day at school.

At school, he met Celia before classes began. If he hadn't known better, he would have said she was waiting for him. He barely recognized her-- her hair was disheveled, her uniform wrinkled, and black circles had appeared under her beautiful eyes, now red and swollen. But the strangest thing was that Celia was alone, without being accompanied by her friends. Nor by Ben.

"Celia, did something happen?" he asked, slightly frightened by her appearance.

"It's Ben," she said, barely holding back the tears. "He broke up with me ..."

Ferry took her to a more secluded place so they could talk, "What are you talking about? What do you mean he broke up with you? Two days ago, you were fine."

"I don't know," she said, sobbing. "We met at our secret place. He told me we couldn't be together anymore. That I complicated his life too much. That I am a spoiled, arrogant, and ungrateful person who only creates problems. That we had nothing in common and we would never have. And what was between us was-- was a mistake," she said, and, unable to hold back her tears, she let them flow freely.

Ferry shook his head, "Celia, are you sure he said that? It doesn't even sound like Ben ..."

"Yes, Ferry, he was very cold. And cruel. He said there was no going back. That he realized he was wrong about Steph. That he still cared about her because they had so much in common. And now ... Now he's back to her," she said, crying out loud on Ferry's shoulder.

"Celia, I've known Ben my entire life. He's not like that. He doesn't play with one's feelings. And when he's with you, he just shines. I've never seen him so happy. In fact, I've never seen two people as in love as you two. Something is happening..."

"He's right, you know," Celia said, blowing her nose in the handkerchief Ferry offered her. "Maybe I'd better let it go. I am causing him problems. I am spoiled and smug. But I'm trying to change that. I try to learn from him what kindness means. He's the kindest person I've ever met," she said and started sobbing on his shoulder again.

Ferry didn't know what to think. He slowly caressed her hair, trying to calm her down, "Let's talk to him. We need to find out what's going on."

"He doesn't want to talk to me, Ferry. Just now, he passed me as if he didn't even know me. After everything that happened between us ..."

"Then I'll talk to him. Something IS going on, I tell you."

But when he caught sight of Ben during the first class, Ferry realized Celia was right. Ben didn't even mind him. He no longer sat next to him but took his old place near Steph, who was constantly chirping, telling him how she spent the weekend. Yet he looked as miserable as Celia, with sad and tired eyes. All class long, Ben stared at the blackboard, stiff as a statue.

During the break, he hurried out of the classroom, heading for his locker, his eyes on the ground. Ferry ran after him. He called to him several times, but Ben didn't even turn. He managed to catch up with him.

"Ben, didn't you hear me calling you?"

"What do you want, Ferry?" he asked. "Say it fast. I'm busy."

"Ben, what's going on? Did you break up with Celia? Are you with Steph now?"

Ben didn't look at him when he replied, "Mind your own business, Ferry. My personal life shouldn't be your concern."

"Ben, of course, it is my concern. You're my friend... Maybe you want me to stop by today, to talk ..."

"I can't," he said. "I have to go to Steph's today. Besides, Steph doesn't like me spending time with you or Matt. She says you're not on the same intellectual level as me."

"And since when does Steph decide who you should see and who you shouldn't?" Ferry said, feeling his sight turning blurry.

"I have to go now," Ben hurried to answer, avoiding his gaze. "Steph is waiting for me."

Ferry grabbed him by the sleeve of his coat, "Ben, what's going on?"

Ben looked up and Ferry saw his eyes. They were swollen and sad, just like Celia's. But Steph appeared at the end of the corridor near the lockers, and Ben looked away.

"Benji," she shouted on the high-pitched, authoritative tone that characterized her. "Come on, we have to go."

Ben walked over to her, his shoulders bent forward.

For the next few days, Ferry tried in vain to talk to Ben. Steph was always with him, clinging to his arm, blathering on as she pulled Ben after her.

Ferry decided he had to do something. During the lunch break, he found Celia sitting on a bench in the schoolyard, lost in thought. The girl was pale and looked weaker than ever. She looked up at him, trying to smile. Ferry sat down beside her and handed her his sandwich.

"You look awful," he told her. "When did you last eat?"

Celia looked at the sandwich and refused, shaking her head. Ferry opened it and put it in her hand. Celia nibbled at it, eventually.

"Did you find your diary?" he asked her.

Celia shook her head. "I haven't even looked for it," she said in a low voice. "I don't care if my parents find it. I don't care about anything anymore ..."

"You shouldn't think that way, Celia," he said. "I felt the same way when I broke up with ... someone special. But then, I thought there was something else that would make me move forward."

"What?" she asked.

"Hope," he replied.

Celia smiled, "You're a dreamer, Ferry. It's like you're out of this world. Dreamers don't have a very good fate in this world that has started to give up dreaming. But have you ever thought that sometimes it's worse to have false hopes?"

"Maybe you're right. But my mother told me that when you really want someone, when someone is meant for you, there are unseen threads that always bring them to you, again and again, even if you are worlds apart. You just have to learn to read these signs."

"How beautiful," she said. "Your mother is a wise woman. But I'm afraid she's a dreamer like you."

"But before that, you have to make sure you did everything, absolutely everything for that person to know how you feel about them. So we'll talk to Ben."

"How are we going to do that? Steph follows him everywhere like a shadow. At school, at the library. Now she's driving him home. I'm sure he would tear me apart if I approached him."

"I know a place where Steph can't follow Ben, even if she wants to," Ferry said, and a meaningful smile covered his face.

The next break, he watched the boys' toilet and slipped inside as he saw Ben enter.Ben winced at the sight of him. Ferry rarely used the toilet. Unlike humans, fairies assimilated almost everything they ate or drank.

"Ferry, what are you doing here? he whispered, looking everywhere around them.

"I came to talk to you," Ferry said.

"About what?" Ben asked.

"About what?" Ferry asked, trying to keep his voice down. "Ben, you've been avoiding talking to me for two days. You broke up with Celia ... And now you're with Steph? Ben, this isn't you. What is going on?" he asked, looking him dead in the eye.

Ben took a deep breath, "Steph has Celia's journal. She told me she would show it to everyone if I didn't make up with her."

"What?! She can't do that!"

"She just did," Ben sighed.

"But you have to do something!" Ferry almost shouted.

"What can I do, Ferr? Imagine what could happen if Celia's parents got their hands on that diary. Or if the headmaster reads it. If he finds out we sneaked into the school's basement. We could both be expelled. Celia will be taken to a boarding school. And I could lose the scholarship. But that's not the worst. The worst thing is that I would never see her again, Ferry," he said, barely breathing. "The mere thought is killing me."

"That's why we need to do something," Ferry whispered, putting his hand on his shoulder.

Ben looked around, then said, "My place. Today, after dark."

Then he got out of the boys' toilet.

*

After work, Ferry waited for the dark, training hard. He discovered that training helped him stop thinking about his problems, which seemed to multiply by the day. It felt good for him to get rid of his troubles for a while by hitting the punching bag or throwing the spear at the target.

As the shadows of darkness fell over the town, Ferry hurried to Ben's house. When he arrived, he greeted Ben's family, who had just finished dinner, and went upstairs to Ben's room. He opened the door and bumped into ... Matilda, sitting on a stool next to Ben's studying table.

He remained in the doorway, unable to take another step or utter a word. He felt a strange feeling in his stomach and his heart began to race at her sight.

"I hope you don't mind me calling Ferry, too," Ben told Matilda, motioning for Ferry to come in, without looking up from a sheet of paper on which he was drawing something. "I know you two don't talk, but it's an emergency."

Matilda was playing with a pen. She glanced at Ferry who entered, closing the door behind him and slowly sitting on the bed.

"It's okay. I don't care, anyway," she said.

Her words felt like a knife to Ferry's heart. He didn't know what was worse-- her to be mad at him or not to care about him at all. He said nothing, examining her out of the corner of his eye, as the butterflies in his stomach became more and more restless. He hadn't seen her since the conversation with Sage. She looked different. She hadn't cut her hair as she usually did every summer, and her slightly wavy strands now reached her shoulders and covered her delicate neck. The bangs was also long, and Matilda was trying to put it behind her ear, but the rebel strands kept coming back, tickling her cheek.

"Okay," Ben said, interrupting Ferry's thoughts. "Here's how we're going to do it. We'll take Celia's journal from Steph."

"How are we going to do that?" Ferry wondered. "We can't break into her house."

"Of course not," Ben said. "I was thinking maybe you should talk to May. She and Steph are friends. Maybe she'll take it when she visits Steph."

Ferry shook his head, "May ?! Stealing?! She'll never agree, Ben, even if for a good cause. You know May."

"But Ferry, I can't do it. Steph doesn't take her eyes off me for a second."

"I know, Ben ... But May will never do that ... I can't ask her that."

Matilda tossed the pen away, which made the boys stop talking.

"I'll do it," she said.

Both boys looked at her, their eyes wide with wonder.

"But, Matt, you're not Steph's friend," Ben protested. "I don't even know if you two have ever spoken to each other."

"I don't care. I'll do it. Forcing your love on someone is wrong. And I'm pretty sure it's illegal at some point," she added.

"Matt, Steph's not stupid," Ben insisted. "You can't just visit her as if you're the best of friends."

"No, she's not stupid. But she's conceited. She thinks she's above others. When I'll go to her asking to tutor me, complaining that I don't understand any subject because I'm too dumb, I don't think she will say no. There'll be another reason for her to brag about how much she helped me  with my grades. And to be honest, my grades aren't very good lately. So that's the perfect reason."

Ben agreed. "Okay. Then hold this," he said, handing her the sheet of paper he had drawn. "It's the map of Steph's room. She doesn't have many things in the room: the bed, the dressing table, and the closet. It should be easy for you to find the journal. I've already searched for her school locker and it's not there. I don't think she gave it to a friend to keep. It's too precious for her. She must have it in her room. Under the pillow or under the bed, where the girls usually keep their diaries."

Matilda studied the sheet of paper, frowning. "Fine," she sighed. "It's for a noble cause, so I'll do it," she said. "I'm going to ask Steph to tutor me starting tomorrow. I'll find an excuse to get her out of the room, then I'll look for the journal. It should be easy."

"Thank you, Matt," Ben said. "You're a good friend," he smiled.

Matilda smiled at him, then stood up. "I have to go now. It's late. Talk to you tomorrow, Ben."

Ferry jumped to his feet, too. "If you want, I can take you home," he hurried to say. "It's dangerous to walk alone on the street during this time."

Matilda looked at him for a moment, and Ferry thought he saw a twinkle of joy in her eyes. But it only lasted a moment.

"Thank you, but no thank you," she said, looking away, this time. "Shadow-- I mean Sage is waiting for me."

Ferry nodded, trying to smile, "Of course. Sage."

*

"I couldn't find it anywhere," Matilda said, walking along and across Ben's room, the next evening. "I made her several times to bring me water and pills for my headache. And there weren't many places to look for. But it was nowhere. Not under the pillow, not under the bed, and not in the closet. I tried all the planks of the floor. And the drawer on the dressing table was locked."

"The drawer was locked?" Ben wondered. "Strange, she never keeps it locked. She keeps nothing precious inside: a hairbrush, a mirror, a makeup kit. "

"That's where she keeps the diary," Matilda said, her eyes twinkling. "It makes sense. Why would she keep it locked if she didn't hide something precious there?"

Ben gave it a thought, "That's right. Steph is wearing a new necklace with a key pendant. That must be the key to the drawer."

"That means you have to take the key and give it to me, Ben," Matilda said gravely. "I can't do it."

Ben slowly sat down on the bed. "How should I do that?" he asked.

Ferry sat next to him, "Ben, do you remember how angry Steph was when she found out that you and Celia had given each other hickies? I'm afraid you'll have to do that. I don't think she'll mind if you do the same with her."

Ben's look turned desperate, "But, Ferr, I never did that with Steph."

Matilda put her hand on his shoulder, "I'm afraid you'll have to do it, this time. But be careful not to swallow the necklace," she said, trying to sound serious. Ferry tried not to laugh, but let out some strange snorts.

"Matt, it's not funny," Ben said.

"It's a little funny, though," said Ferry.

And they all began to laugh like in the old times.

Ben sighed, "Alright, change of plan. I'll take the key from Steph and give it to you. You'll go to Steph's room during dinner. I'll be at dinner, too, in case I have to hold Steph while you two are still inside. Besides, I have to open the window of the room so you could come in."

"You two?" Matilda wondered.

"Yes, you and Ferry," Ben said. "There are no trees near Steph's house. And I don't think you can bring your ladder. So Ferry will fly you Steph's window. And since he has nowhere to hide, he will have to go in, too."

At Ben's words, Ferry and Matt looked at each other for the first time. None of them dared to say anything.

"There's no other way, Ferry," Ben said, seeing his astonishment. "So you have to help Matt take the journal.

"Su-- Sure," Ferry stammered. "If Matt is okay with it..."

Matilda snorted. "Fine," she eventually said. "Since I've already joined this..."

"Then," Ben continued, "you'll take the journal from the drawer and go out the window the same way you went in. Watch out for the window. Sometimes, it gets stuck. And be careful not to fail. It's our only chance. That's all," Ben said, full of hope.

"Piece of cake," said Matilda.

"Easy peasy," Ferry added. "What could go wrong?"

*

The next evening, Ferry met Matilda a few streets away from Steph's house. The girl was quiet. She greeted him with a short nod and they both started with a hesitant pace. Ferry looked at her out of the corner of his eye. Matilda wore trousers and a dark shirt so as not to draw attention. She had tied her hair in a bun from which her tameless strands came loose and fell on her forehead and neck. Ferry felt his heart begin to pound with every step he took.

They stopped a short distance from Steph's house and looked at each other. They were waiting for Ben's signal, which was a flicker of the lamp in Steph's room.

"How do you want me to take you upstairs?" Ferry asked. "Shall I carry you in my arms?"

"I'm not a maiden in danger," she said, grimacing. "I'll go on your back if you don't mind."

Ferry smiled and turned his back on her. "Get on!"

The girl sighed and put her arms around his neck. "Let's get this over with," she mumbled.

"Hold on tight!" he laughed.

Ferry breathed her fresh scent of wet soil and cookies and took flight to the sky. Matilda let out a short shout and Ferry felt her hands and feet wrapped around his body, holding him tight. So tight that he could feel the rhythm of her heart inside his body.

"Ferry, what are you doing?"

"I thought we should admire the view for a while," he said. "Are you afraid? A little more and you're going to suffocate me," he laughed.

He could feel her shaking her head no, and her hair locks touched his cheek. "No," she said, loosening her grip.

They flew for a while over the town that was preparing for sleep. The lights lit up in the windows one by one like fireflies gleaming in the grass. The wind blew lightly on their cheeks. A few strands of Ferry's hair touched Matilda's nose and the girl sneezed. Ferry smiled and sped up. The stars shone above them, dripping on the black sky. The sounds below melted. It was quiet up there.

"Look," she said, pointing. "It's my house. I never imagined it was so small."

Ferry returned in flight and flew over the central square, now empty. The pale light of the streetlights scattered across the streets, a soft path of golden fog. Ferry flew higher, where the air suddenly became colder. He felt her slightly shivering. He paused for a moment, floating above the city, with the fireflies below and the stars above.

"It's beautiful," she said.

"Yes, it is," he replied, trying to catch his breath. "It doesn't matter how many times I've seen this view. It's always beautiful"

"We should go," Matilda said after a while. "Ben is waiting for us."

Ferry suddenly remembered why they were there. "Sure," he said. "Hold on tight. And don't close your eyes!"

When he felt her all wrapped up around him, Ferry flew like lightning to the town below. The girl shouted again, and this time Ferry felt her cheek glued to his. The lights of the town grew brighter as they approached. They remained above Steph's house for a while, waiting and catching their breath. Her hands around his neck were just as tight and Ferry touched her arm lightly, feeling her body relax after. He could have stayed like that forever. But the light in Steph's window flickered and the magic ended.

Ferry flew lightly to the upstairs room and entered through the open window. The room was well lit by the lantern in front of the house. Matilda took the key from her pocket, went straight to the dressing table, and opened the drawer. She signaled Ferry to come over and showed him the diary. She opened it and read a few lines to make sure it belonged to Celia. Then she held it to her chest and motioned for Ferry to look out the window. Outside, the stars were gone. The wind intensified. A drift of air crept through the window and closed it with a loud thud.

Matilda and Ferry looked at each other for a moment. Then Matilda started for the window and tried to open it. It was blocked. Ferry read the panic in her eyes. He tried to open the window, too, but couldn't. It was really stuck. And footsteps could be heard coming towards the room, louder and louder.

"Quick, under the bed," Ferry said.

They barely had time to hide, as the door opened against the wall and Steph came in, followed by Ben.

Crowded under Steph's bed, Ferry and Matilda could barely breathe.

"Steph, we can't behave like that in front of your parents," Ben said, stepping on Ferry's hand coming out from under the bed. Ferry withdrew it quickly, grimacing in pain. Matilda could barely hold herself from laughing. 

Fortunately, Steph was too nervous to notice anything around her, "But you behaved like that with her, even in front of your parents," she hissed. "And don't try to lie. I read that diary line by line. I know everything you've done. And I mean EVERYTHING," she screamed.

"Yes, but it's different now," Ben tried to defend himself. "I don't want to rush things between us."

Steph sat on the edge of the bed, snorting.

"Fine," she said. "Come, sit next to me," she pulled him closer. "I guess there's nothing wrong with kissing a little. I liked how you played with my ear today, behind the greenhouse," she giggled.

Upon hearing her words, Matilda made a face that mimicked vomiting, then wanted to get out from under the bed. But Ferry covered her mouth with his palm and pulled her closer to him.

Fortunately, Ben didn't make Steph's game, moving away from the bed.

"Steph, I want things to go slow between us. I respect you too much. I want it to be perfect when it happens. I want to be just us..."

Steph seemed to give up. "All right then," she said in her squicky voice. "On weekends, my parents have dinner in town. We can see each other then," she chuckled.

"Okay, it's a date," Ben said quickly. "Now let's go back to dinner," he said, pulling her off the bed and out of the room.

Under the bed, Ferry and Matilda breathed a sigh of relief. Ferry removed his hand from her soft lips.

"And now?" she whispered.

"Now, we wait" Ferry whispered back. "Ben knows we're stuck here. He'll come to take us out."

Matilda sighed, trying to find a more comfortable position.

"Could you move your foot?" she told him. "So that I could have more space?"

"I can't," Ferry said. "Unlike you, I have long legs."

"Are you calling me short?" she said, this time without whispering.

"No," he replied. "I was calling myself tall."

Matilda fussed until she found a comfortable position. She was facing Ferry, so close that he could feel her fresh breath on his neck. In the dim light that reached under the bed, he could still see the freckles on her face and the small, full lips she was always biting. Her hair had come off completely, and now it covered her cheeks and forehead. But the girl kept her eyes down, avoiding looking at him. And yet, Ferry felt his heart racing. Being there with her, so close, in the most unusual place had never made him happier.

"Can't you turn your back at me?" she whispered. "You breathe in my face."

"I can't," he said. "I have wild hair, remember? It will tickle your nose and you'll sneeze. And I wouldn't want Steph to find us here. Imagine the scandal."

"Fine," she sighed. "But stop staring at me! How can you even see in this darkness? I can't see anything here."

"I'm a fairy, Matt. I have night vision. And besides, how do you know I'm staring if you can't see anything?"

Matilda snorted. Ferry smiled. Matilda always snorted when she didn't know what to say.

Ferry reached out and slowly removed the strands of hair from her face. She finally looked up at him. And Ferry knew she could see him, as clearly as he was seeing her. He moved even closer to her.

"What are you doing?" she whispered, barely breathing.

"Kiss you," he said. "Unless you want me to stop," he whispered on her lips.

"Don't..." she whispered back on his lips and pulled him closer.

And Ferry could feel her lips, drops of summer rain pouring on his lips. Then he felt her thin fingers running down his neck and through his hair and bringing tingling all over his body. Then his hands gripped her and pulled her even closer until her heart beat in his. He had never felt anything like it. People talked about butterflies in their stomachs; he felt thousands of flocks struggling inside him, amazed at the miracle that was just happening to him. He felt out of breath, but couldn't stop. He didn't want to stop, drowning into her being ever deeper with every kiss.

Then her kisses took him elsewhere. They were now lying on the meadow bordered by the tall grass by the hills. It was dusk when stars began to fill the sky, and fireflies rose from the grass. The wind blew gently, but not even it could slip between them, so close their hearts. Even with his eyes closed, Ferry could see sparks around them, rising into the sky and blending with white butterflies that turned into stars. And in that embrace in which their beings merged, their lips searched and found each other again, while their hands uncovered each other in amazement, trying not to forget any crumb of the miracles they had just discovered.

When Ben entered the room, bringing them to reality, Ferry still had the feeling he could see the sparks around them, melting in the air. His whole body felt numb, and his lips hurt. But he had never felt better.

They got out from under the bed, trying to arrange their wrinkled clothes and ruffled hair. Ben managed to open the window.

"Quick," he told them. "Get out now! Steph will come after me in a few moments."

Ferry didn't wait. He took Matilda in his arms and flew with her out the window. A few streets away, he put her down slowly. The girl took a few steps away, avoiding his gaze.

"Matt, say something," he said softly, coming closer to her.

She turned to him. She was serious and the sparkles in her eyes were gone, "Listen, Ferry, I want you to promise me you won't tell anyone what happened between us there," she said.

That's not what he expected her to say after everything that had happened between them."What-- What do you mean?"

"What we did was wrong. I want you to promise me you won't tell anyone. Ever! And that we will never talk about it again," she said, looking him dead in the eye this time.

"What do you mean wrong, Matt?" he almost shouted. "You wanted it as much as I wanted it."

"I know," she said, covering her face with her hands. "But this stupid game we keep playing must stop, or we'll hurt others. People who care about us."

Ferry tried to remove her hands from her face so he could see her eyes, "What are you talking about, Matt? Whom are we hurting?"

"This!" she said, putting her hand on his chest. Her touch made him shudder again. And Matilda pulled out from under his shirt the necklace from May that hung around his neck. "I almost choked on it."

Ferry had completely forgotten about the locket chain that contained May's picture.

"What?" Matilda frowned. "Don't tell me you don't care about May anymore."

"Of course I care about May," Ferry said. "She's my friend. But that's all she is, Matt," he softly said.

But she shook her head. "I can't ... May is a good girl, Ferry. And I hurt her when I told her secret. And I will regret it for the rest of my life. She doesn't deserve this. Don't break her heart..."

"Matt, would you listen to yourself? You don't even sound like you anymore. Are you sure that's what you think, how you feel? Or is someone else whispering in your ear?"

"What are you talking about?" she shouted. Nobody whispers in my ear, Ferry. I can think for myself."

Ferry sighed. He couldn't tell her about Sage. Although he felt he had stuck his... tail between him and Matilda.

Matilda took a deep breath, "Promise me you'll forget what happened between us. Promise me you won't tell anyone. Promise me, Ferry!"

Ferry felt his heart break for the thousandth time.

"I promise..."

He suddenly felt tired as if he had run for miles. Matilda turned her back on him again as if he wasn't even there. As if what happened between them meant nothing to her.

The silence settled between them, taking them even further away. Then Ben emerged from the darkness. He was running towards them.

"Did you take it?" he asked, catching his breath.

Matilda turned and threw the journal at him, "Take it!" she cried. "And maybe next time, you and your girlfriend will be more careful. Because I'm not going to risk my skin for you again. My life is complicated AS IT IS," she yelled, then she turned and left. She was walking so fast, that the ground almost caught fire under her feet.

"What's wrong with her?" Ben wondered. "What happened?"

Ferry looked behind her and felt his world crumbling. "Nothing..."

"Thanks for everything, Ferry," Ben said. "Now I have to go back. I have to break up with Steph," he added with a smile as big as his face. Then he ran back while his shouts of joy broke the silence of the night.

Ferry looked behind Matilda again. She was just a shadow now. A shadow that drifted further away from him, taking his starry sky, his butterflies, and his sparks with her.

Thank you for reading the longest chapter so far! I attached to this chapter the song I was listening to while writing the kissing scene. Do you find the clips and pictures accompanying this story interesting? Do they fit the story? Let me know your thoughts :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.5K 1.5K 30
[complete] "A human, a wulver, and a fairy walk into a witch's hut." It was like the start of a bad joke. Fleeing from her home in the States after...
4.2K 1.1K 78
A mysterious past, an unrequited love, and a desperate need to find himself, fifteen-year-old Kalyn has enough to occupy him without being on the ver...
79 4 30
Since the day Isha was born everything she and her rider Kiora have wanted was to win the dragon races, it became increasingly harder as people and m...
315 18 30
A horrific family tragedy sets seventeen-year-old Astrid Donovan down a path of revenge, where she discovers one of the many secrets her family has g...