Cuphead and Mugman in "Fate W...

By HaleyBurns7

Taking place after my other story, "A Choice Between Two Worlds", it follows Cuphead and Mugman as the Devil... More

The Aftermath...
Broken Promise
A Renewed Bond
Familiar Faces
I'm an Outsider...
A Failed Mission
Home
A Shadow Emerges
Problem Solving With Science
A Vision From Hell
Confidence vs. Fear
The Diagnosis
Training Begins...
Not Words But Actions
A Sinking Feeling
Punishment Falls On Deaf Ears
A Mutated Mishap
The Final Nightmare....?
Stealing the Spotlight
Teamwork or Solo Work?
The Midnight Duel
A Step In the Right Direction
You're So Busted!
New Goals
Who Are You?
Friend or Foe?
A Quick Detour
The Deed Must Be Done!
Battle at Mt. Inkwell
A Bad Omen
Interview with a Demon
A Splashing Revelation
Boys to the Rescue!
What I Wouldn't Do For A Smoke
Possessed Brawlers
A Suffocating Predicament
Spoonfred's Trial
The Secret Basement
You Are Alone, Little Mug
He Knows Where We Live!
An Uninvited Guest
The Duel
Get Help!
A Change of Heart
Sheltered From the Past
The Kettle and the Faun
A Passed Burden
Exile
Terms of Agreement?
The Contract
Who's to Blame?
Is This Heaven?
Home Sweet Mess
Was This the Right Decision?
The Story of Young Dice
The Plan
The New Monster
An Unexpected Ally
The Great Battle
I Can't Change It
I Can't Change It (Part 2)
Expelling the Demon
Domain of the Overlords
Friend Not Foe

A Confession

360 14 19
By HaleyBurns7

Mug happily handed over the family picture. Elder Kettle's joyful expression immediately turned to a look of sadness and disbelief. "Where did you get this?" He asked in all seriousness. The world around them seemed to go silent. No kids running about or parents scolding them could be heard. Not even the smallest of insects made a peep.

"I might have stumbled onto your secret basement while I was cleaning." Mugman explained, nervously scratching his head. He noticed that his grandpa intently stared at the photo just like he had done. Mug instinctively knew that Kettle was sure to feel the same longing feeling at remembering the boys' parents. How could he not? The young mug cleared his throat before starting with his rapid-fire of questions. "There's so much cool stuff down there! How long were you a traveling warrior?"

"Oh, um..."

"Why haven't you ever mentioned it? Weren't you proud of all the things you did?"
"Yes, but-"

"What ever happened to your friend the faun?"

"Well, uh..."

Mug hopped back and forth while asking his questions. Kettle, on the other hand, was getting uncomfortable with where this conversation was going. He tried to escape from his grandson's torrent of questions, but Mugman was right on him and didn't let him escape eye contact for even a second. His spout tried to turn away multiple times, but the boy jumped about to block his grandpa's escape. No longer could he avoid the subject, Mug was convinced.

He's gonna have to tell me now! The little mug was literally bursting at the seams with excitement at getting answers. He was so close now!

"There's so many things you could teach me and Cuphead!"

Elder Kettle tried to turn away one last time as he nervously stroked his glass mustache. Mug noticed this and changed his tone.

"What's the matter with you? Why are you so scared of everything? Why are you so scared of me?" No longer did he sound excited. The young mug was starting to get agitated with Elder Kettle's behavior. Who was the real kid here?

Mugman's guardian froze up and started to sweat profusely. Almost like he was a ticking time bomb that was getting ready to explode.

"Please! I'm asking for the truth! I'm certain mom and dad wouldn't have kept secrets from us!"

Kettle squeezed his eyes shut and blurted out the first thing he thought of. The mention of the boys' parents caused him to break down.

"Your parents are gone! And it's all because of me!"

Mug's heart sank at his guardian's words. The child gasped and took a couple of steps back.

"Huh? Wh-what do you mean?" His mug cocked slightly to the side in a confused manner.

Kettle gave a depressed sigh as he realized he had kept the truth from the boys long enough. It just hurt having to revisit his past. In fact, it hurt a lot.

"Perhaps you should sit down, Mugman." The tan kettle went to sit down on a fallen tree. His boy hesitated to sit at first, but then slowly lowered himself down on the log a few feet away. A knot grew in both of their throats. Mug was terrified at what his guardian was going to say next. And Elder Kettle didn't know if he would find the right words to say. He wasn't sure there was any "right words" to say in this situation. But his grandson demanded the truth, so he had to try.

"You see, Mugman, David and I, we... we had a lot of great adventures." He started it happy and even put on a smile as he remembered some of the happy memories they had together. "But in the end, we came across someone we shouldn't have. The town told us to leave him alone and forget we ever saw him. But David ran off during the night to..." Kettle squeezed his eyes shut and re-focused what he was saying. "....and maybe he wouldn't have done it if I had only listened to him."

"Why didn't you listen to your best friend?" Mugman questioned.

"Well Mugman, that was the town where I met your grandmother." The elderly kettle replied. Mug was in shock of this word he used.

Grandmother? He knew that people were supposed to have grandmothers, but he never had put any thought into the fact that he must have had a grandma at one time too.

"My grandmother?"

"Yes, Mugs. You and Cuphead have never met her." His gaze moved from the little mug to stare into the distance. "But she was the most beautiful and kind piece of glassware I had ever met...." Elder Kettle's voice trailed off as he started to drown himself in happy memories of his wife. Remembering how it felt to be in her warm embrace and to nuzzle spouts with her in greeting. She would emit puffs of smoke from her spout in the shape of hearts to physically show her love for him.

The young mug went to say something when his guardian seemed to be going off-topic. Kettle noticed this and cleared his throat.

"But anyway, David felt that I was spending too much time with her and even choosing her over him."

"And were you?"

"Was I?" Kettle inquired, seeming hesitant to answer.

"Listening to her and not him?"

The tan kettle gave a heavy sigh.

"I suppose I was. At the time, I thought I was doing the right thing. I thought I had successfully deterred him from pursuing that dangerous creature. But I was wrong. And he ended up doing something that we would both regret..."

"And what did he do?"

"He turned to the darkness, Mugman." Kettle said flatly. "And David was so mad that he cursed me. Many a time he's tried to take my life, but not by his own hands."

"So David is hiring people to try to kill you? Is that what the bat meant when he said he was hired to kill you?" Mug pieced together the demon bat's motivation.

"Yes, it must be." The kettle said with a nod. "He tried many times when I was young, but then stopped for a long time. He must be trying again now that I'm old, assuming that it will be easy to finish the job." Elder Kettle gave a small chuckle. "But I'm sure he never expected you to thwart those attempts. I never did say thank you, did I?"

No, you didn't! The demon growled.

"But if you're happy that I saved you... then why did you call me a monster and push me away?"

"The truth is, I feared you would become like David. That the darkness of the demon would consume you. You fought just as viciously with that bat as he did when he succumbed to the darkness.... And it scared me."

"But I'm okay! Really! He's not as bad as you think! We get along just fine with one another as friends." Mugman explained to his guardian.

"Yes... I'm starting to realize that. And I'm very grateful to both of you for everything you've done to protect me and Cuphead." Kettle praised. A big smile grew on the little mug's face.

Looks like the kettle is finally starting to come around. The dark creature bellowed.

Yes! He has finally told us the truth!

But he still has yet to say why he is to blame for your parents' deaths. It reminded. That smile of the child immediately went sour at the parasitic creature's words.

Oh...Mug shuddered at the realization that the bad news was still to come.

"H-he says y-you still haven't told us w-why you're to blame for...." Poor Mugman was barely able to repeat the demon's words. Kettle looked scared upon bringing up that subject again. He even handed the family portrait back to his grandson who began to finger at it nervously. It was obvious that he was very ashamed about what happened.

"....Ah, yes." Elder Kettle said, struggling not to stutter himself. "Your mom, she was so very smart. So smart that she found out that David had cursed me. When she made that discovery, she became scared for her family. That he might try to hurt you boys. During one of our conversations, she mentioned going to talk to him about lifting the curse. I told her that talking to him would only make it worse. That he would not listen to anyone anymore. Not even me..." He paused before continuing, letting out a shaky breath. "Despite my attempts to keep her away from David, she went to talk to him many times. But it didn't make a difference. For he would not change his mind."

"Weren't you ever scared for your family?" Mug said with urgency in his voice. The mug child could not understand why his grandpa did not think to take precautions against this danger.

"Yes, Mugs."

"Then you should have talked to him! Make him understand that you have a family and that he shouldn't take it out on them! If there was still something left of David, he could have stood up to the Devil and kept him from killing my parents! He could have beaten him for the time being just like we did!" The little mug urged.

"He didn't start out so evil. But over time he became more and more ruthless. David had lost any mercy that he had and killed without reason. He became less of himself and more of a monster. I knew he would never let me go. All he wanted was revenge on me at all costs." Kettle stood up as he prepared to tell his boy something. And that very something may very well cause his son to run off yet again. Mugman stood up in alarm, wondering why his grandfather suddenly did so. "That's why.... that's why he didn't hesitate to kill your parents. And why he was so ruthless with you boys."

"Wh-what? But the Devil-!" It hit the little mug like a huge rock as he realized that Elder Kettle's friend had actually become the Devil. His eyes went huge as they watered and his jaw dropped open.

"So you see, Mugs... I'm responsible for all the tragedies in our family. There was no way to save them from such a tragic fate. And there's no way to save you and Cuphead from it as well." Mugman began to back away from his grandfather. "You have to believe me, I never wished for any of this!" Kettle began to shuffle after him as the young mug began to bawl and continue backing away.

"No! ...no!" Mug shook his head then turned and ran away. He realized that his parents never had a chance of survival .... And neither did he and Cuphead. That they were doomed to a horrible fate just like the rest of their family.

"Mugman!" The elderly kettle called after him and tried to follow as best he could. But his speedy grandson quickly went out of sight. Mug kept running as tears streamed down his face. He had become so distracted that he tripped over a root, causing him to fall face first into the grassy ground. A sip of liquid sloshed out of his head as his body rocketed toward the ground. The young mug quickly picked himself up and kept on going. Unbeknownst to him, the family picture fell out of his hand and lay on the ground near his spilled white liquid. But nothing really mattered to him at the moment. The only thing the mug child knew was that he wanted a place to hide, possibly for the rest of his life.

With little option on their side of the island, he climbed a random tree. Going high into the branches, he perched himself on a sturdy piece of wood and clung to its trunk. Mug panted a bit from the run and climb. His heart was breaking yet again. Possibly even worse than the heartbreak of his own brother beating him up without a thought. He then turned his mug and pressed his nose against the tree as he continued to sob. How was he to ever trust Elder Kettle ever again? His grandpa basically told him that he and Cuphead would meet the same fate as their parents. That there was no hope left for them, and no reason to live anymore.

Down at the forest floor, Kettle finally caught up to the area where Mugman was hiding.

"Mugman! Mugman, please wait!" He desperately called out. "I know this is hard for you to hear, and I know you may never want to talk to me again... But please! You're still my family! And you and Cuphead are all I have left to live for!" The tan kettle huffed and puffed as he finally slowed down. "I-If only I could've-!" Elder Kettle cut off his speech when he found the family picture on the grassy ground. The grass and trees even seemed to hang still in the tense atmosphere between the two family members. Not even a slight breeze ruffled the leaves in the trees. He stared down at the black and white photo in complete silence. Mug slowly pulled his face away from the tree and looked down at the kettle that had no idea where he was. He watched as his guardian stooped down and picked the photo off the ground. Kettle stared at it for a moment before saying anything more.

"I'm sorry, Mugman. I'm so sorry...." The tan kettle said as his voice wavered and spout shook back and forth in his own grief. He then shuffled passed the tree in which his grandson hid and went in the general direction of home.

As soon as his grandpa was out of earshot, Mug slowly and carefully climbed down the tree. His glass body slumped against the trunk for a moment. The young mug breathed heavily as he continued to hastily wipe away the tears that just wouldn't go away. One would've thought that the child was sweating due to the thick coating of water all over his face. But it was all remnants of tears that had been smeared across his mug.

"I don't want to be here anymore!" He gasped as he ran off yet again. If only to get off the island and away from those who wanted to hurt him. But it wasn't like he could commandeer Brineybeard's huge ship alone or even take his teacher's rowboat out into the vast ocean with no provisions or plan. Instead, he made for the mountain. Mug intended to get high up to his training hollow so that anyone that came looking for him could not get there without taking the time to trek the mountain. Thus, giving him at least some time to himself.

Meanwhile, the demon was analyzing what Elder Kettle had said. It had listened intently to every word and was now starting to draw conclusions and theories.

So if the Devil killed your parents and plans to do so to you and Cuphead, it would stand to reason that he killed your grandma, too.

"Shut up!" Mugman shouted at the creature. For he did not want to hear any more of his family's atrocities.

But aren't you satisfied in knowing the truth? It's what you've been wanting for so long. It questioned.

"I wish I never asked! I wish I had never found that basement! And I wish we had never gone into that casino!" The child pouted as the grade began to steepen.

What's done is done. It cannot be taken back.

"I said be quiet! I hate you! You ruined my life!"

Me? What did I do? The parasitic creature wondered as it sounded a bit offended by the mug's harsh words.

"If you hadn't got sucked into me, none of this would be happening right now! We made the Devil mad and now he's trying to kill all of us!"

You think all this happened because I came into your life? No way! The Devil would've come after you anyway. And now you're blaming the very person that's been helping and protecting you? It's like you said, you would be dead without me here. The dark creature pointed out.

"I don't need you! Just go away!" Mugman yelled as he leaped soccer ball sized rock. The demon, however, just kept its cool and explained to its host that yelling and blaming others was not the correct way to respond to the situation.

You've taught me many things, Mugman. Things I never thought possible and things I don't always agree with. But the concept of teamwork has never failed us. Just think about that the next time before you go and yell at your closest ally. Tell me, would you really have been satisfied living in ignorance?

Mug began to slow his pace. He was running out of things to yell at the only person around. His breathing became erratic as he struggled to focus his thoughts.

"Just... just leave me alone! Please!" The mug child said as he started to squeeze himself through the narrow passage that led to the training hollow.

Very well. If that's how you really feel, then perhaps you should be alone for a while. Maybe you'll cool off after some alone time. In the meantime, I'm going to take a nap. And don't bother calling for me because I won't respond to an ungrateful little tea cup! It snapped.

With that, the dark creature put himself to sleep. The young mug, on the other hand, walked around in circles in the cavern, nervously fingering his mug and panting all the while. Eventually, he sat down on a medium-sized boulder and looked out over the ocean. Mugman let himself get lost in the still and lonely air. The waterfall silently crashed down hundreds of feet into the sea, leaving the young mug to wallow in sadness. He had no intention of going home anytime soon.

Later that afternoon, Cuphead made his way home after helping Spoonfred find some new friends. He found Elder Kettle nervously rocking away in his chair.

"Hey, Elder Kettle! I've got to tell Mugman the good news!" Cup quickly said as he dashed by.

"He's not home right now, Cuphead." Kettle said with a hint of sadness in his voice. Deep down, he wondered if his grandson would ever come home after what he had just said to him. The young cup skidded to a halt and walked himself backwards to his guardian.

"Where is he?"

"Mugs.... needs some time to himself. He'll be home sometime.... I hope." Kettle said his last two words very quietly. Cup gave him a weird look before he added, "He might be out late tonight. I really don't know when to expect him.

"Oh... okay. Let me know when he gets home." The red cup said. He had a feeling that his grandpa had shared something with Mugman that caused him to run away again. Cup just hoped that something was the answers his poor brother had been looking for. He went in the direction of his room when he stopped and asked yet another question. "Elder Kettle, you would tell me if Mugs could be in danger, right?"

"Of course, my boy. What makes you ask that?" The tan kettle sounded reassuring to the young cup.

"Just making sure that you're still looking out for him.... And still care."

Kettle slowly stood up from his chair, walked over to his grandson, and placed a sympathetic hand on his shoulder.

"I never stopped caring for Mugman. And I just want you to know that I'm not scared of him. I'm scared for him. No one knows just what those dark beasts are capable of. And you never know when they might snap. Mugs seems to have tamed this one for the time being. But I just hope he can keep that control in the future."

Cuphead's surprised expression turned to one of understanding. For Elder Kettle was being much more like himself now than he had seen in days. A glow of warmth simmered in his heart.

"Thanks for finally talking to him, Elder Kettle. I'm sure it meant a lot to him."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.8K 35 31
"Not every story has a happy the ending ...I would know since I've experienced it before...when a story does not end well, the only thing left to do...
150K 4.5K 44
After King Dice and the Devil lost the soul contracts to Cuphead and Mugman, they have to find a way to fix the Casino's reputation and their own. Th...
33.6K 1.3K 55
This takes place in a mesh of the game universes. In this AU after Cuphead and Mugman defeated the Devil all demons were forced into hell, including...
5.1K 448 62
Book 1 of RoDM series. The black-robed man gave me an indifferent look, and I saw a twisted smile forming on his lips. "All your positive emotions an...