Unspoken

By the_hooded_girl

Due to a traumatic event in the past, Milena has lost the ability to speak. With her family of travelers she... More

Unspoken
I
Chapter 1 Travelers of the Long Road
Chapter 2 Two birds of a feather
Note 1 Milosh kumpania
Chapter 3 You will meet a tall dark stranger
Chapter 4 The rose on the mountain
Note 2 Oszkar's kumpania
Chapter 5 When the owl sings in the night, death will follow in its flight
Chapter 6 Broken Trail
II
Chapter 7 Fires in the night
Chapter 8 The world outside the window
Chapter 9 Silence is the loudest scream
Chapter 10 Thieves and beggars
Note 3 Gadje - The Blackwood Household
Chapter 11 Rumor has it
Chapter 12 Pearls and roses
Chapter 13 Sophistication
Chapter 14 The girl from No Man's land
Chapter 15 If you're afraid of wolves, stay out of the forest
Chapter 16 The bond between friends
Note 4 Gadje - villagers and friends
III
Chapter 17 Lonely voices
Chapter 18 A shelter for the wind
Chapter 19 The wild at heart
Chapter 20 The sound of freedom
Note 5 - Branko's kumpania
Chapter 21 Roads untraveled
Chapter 22 New friends and old
Chapter 23 Friends in high places
Chapter 25 New paths to follow
Chapter 26 Home is where the heart is
Chapter 27 Chasing the storm
Chapter 28 Dancer in the dark
IV
Chapter 29 Names in the wind
Chapter 30 Nighttime conversations
Chapter 31 Messengers
Chapter 32 Heart of Winter
Chapter 33 Free spirits
Chapter 34 Convictions
Chapter 35 Paths in life
Chapter 36 Strays and other travelers
Chapter 37 The heart is like a river
Chapter 38 The wind whispered change
Chapter 39 The eye of the storm
Chapter 40 The long and winding road
V
Chapter 41 The call of home
Chapter 42 The end of the road
Chapter 43 The road ahead
Chapter 44 We will carry your name along the road
Epilogue

Chapter 24 Family ties

5.4K 370 42
By the_hooded_girl

“You must have seen him!” Daria shouted as she advanced on the man across from her. “He must have walked right past you! You must have seen!”

Her fists pounded against his chest, but Dorin easily deflected them. He growled in annoyance and glared at Petsha over the girl’s shoulder. “Keep your wife in check, Petsha of Vali’s wagon.”

“She has the right of it,” Petsha commented, but he still stepped forward to grab the girl around the waist and pull her away before the fight involved nails.

“He must have seen!” Daria cried.

“He wanted to leave,” Dorin hissed, “I could not have stopped him.”

“You could have tried,” Petsha growled.

“Peace!” Milosh barked. He looked from Dorin to Petsha and Daria and then settled on Dorin again. “You were on guard last night,” he said, “did he speak to you?”

“He did,” Dorin said stiffly, “he said he’d go away.”

“Where did he go?” Milosh demanded.

“I do not know.”

“Why would he leave?” Cezar now interfered.

“Perhaps because he did not want to stay,” Dorin answered annoyed, “how am I to know? I’m not his keeper. Perhaps you should have kept a closer eye on your son.”

“You insolent...”

“Stop!” Milosh warned, “this will do us no good. We can not afford to fight amongst ourselves.” These past few weeks had been hard on them. He sighed. “Cezar, Ramiro has made his choice. As much as it saddens me, we must let him go.”

“We must look for him!”

“No,” Milosh said decisively, “he has chosen to leave. If we bring him back, he will only leave again. No. We will continue. We must think of the kumpania.” He looked at Daria, who was crying in Petsha’s arms. The girl’s mother wasn’t in much better shape. “Gather everyone,” Milosh said, “we will break up camp.”

“These are sad times,” Laszlo fastened the last strap of the horse’s harness.

“Why do you think Ramiro has left?” Alec stood beside the horse and held the bridle while Laszlo readied the gear.

“Ah boy,” Laszlo commented, “heartache is a complicated thing. And some ghosts will never stop haunting you.”

“Ghosts?” Alec shivered.

“Not those kind, boy,”  Laszlo smiled at him sadly. He himself still missed his wife, even after all these years. He knew exactly how Ramiro felt and the young man hadn’t even started building a life with his beloved.

“I was right then,” Alec said, “I should never marry.”

“Ah boy, love is a grand thing, but you will find that out for yourself one day. Trust this old man.” He checked the strap he had been securing one more time and nodded. “That will do. Thank you boy. Go help your mother.”

Alec nodded and turned to leave, but then paused. “Will he be alright, Laszlo?”

“Ramiro knows how to take care of himself. You worry about yourself and leave him to his own devices.”

Alec gave a solemn nod and rushed to help his mother with her wagon. He passed Dorin, who walked around irritable. There were enough people that blamed him for Ramiro’s departure.

“I know it was not your fault,” Alec said.

Dorin looked at him annoyed. “What of it? Why would I care what you think? You’re only a child.”

“I know you cared about her too,” Alec replied, undisturbed by Dorin’s hostile attitude, “even if you pretend otherwise.”

“Get lost, Alec,” Dorin stated evenly. He turned away from the boy and secured a basket on the back of the wagon.

Alec sighed. He had tried.

Slowly he walked away.

***

“Ara! We are gone for business and immediately you allow young men into the house. Shame on you, young lady! We raised you better than that!”

Arabella shot up straight from her breakfast. “Mother!” she gasped, you are back so soon. I did not expect you for at least another week.”

“Favorable winds,” her mother answered and she hugged her daughter. Then she winked at the young man at the table. “Good morning, Nathaniel.”

“Lady Caldwell,” Nathaniel had stood up and bowed respectfully.

“Where is father?” Arabella asked, but before her mother could answer, the door opened again and her father entered the house, ordering about the servants.

“That crate goes upstairs to the master bedroom and that one to the kitchen. Careful man! It contains fragile goods. Can’t you do anything right?!” He walked into the dining room and smiled when he saw his daughter. “Ara, child. Come greet your father. Nathaniel.”

Nathaniel bowed. “My lord.”

“Father,” Arabella kissed his cheek.

“Where is that rascal of a son of mine?” Lord Caldwell let his eyes flit across the room and the hallway.

Arabella averted her eyes. “He is probably still asleep,” she answered, knowing full well he had brought some girl home again last night.

“Who can sleep with this ruckus?” a voice sounded from the door.

Jackson stood in the threshold of the dining room, his shirt only half tugged in and his hair a mess. “Mother,” he greeted, “father.”

“Jackson! But how you look!” his mother gasped.

He gave her a playful smile. “Forgive me, mother,” he said sweetly, “when I heard your arrival, I rushed down to greet you. I did not have the time to dress myself properly. I could not wait to greet you.”

“Such a smooth talker you are,” his mother scolded, but she smiled at her son lovingly

His father however saw beyond his charade. He gave his son a stern look, but chose not to address the matter for now. He had only just returned from his journey. He was tired.

“Nathaniel,” Jackson greeted his sister’s fiancée coolly, “ I hope you did not discredit my sister by spending the night.”

“I assure you,” Nathaniel said equally stiff, “I am a man of honor. Such a thing would never cross  my mind.”

“Tch,” Jackson scoffed, “I was merely jesting. There is no need for you to take offense.”

Arabella eyed the two young men nervously and placed a hand on Nathaniel’s arm to calm him. She did not want the two to start a fight.

Nathaniel gritted his teeth, but inclined his head. “None taken,” he sad stiffly.

“Good, “Jackson smirked, “we wouldn’t want a slight misunderstanding to come in between us. We will be brothers soon after all.”

“How is the wedding coming along, dear?” Lady Caldwell smiled at her daughter, “are you nervous?”

“Just wait until you see the guest list, mother,” Jackson answered before his sister could speak, “this wedding will be full of surprises.”

His mother blinked at him confused.

“Careful, Jackson,” Nathaniel warned in a low tone.

“I am protecting the Caldwell name,” Jackson retorted.

“It wasn’t the Caldwell name you were thinking of that night,” Nathaniel growled low.

“Sweetheart,” lord Caldwell spoke to his wife, “why don’t you take Ara with you and unpack the gifts we brought.” He steered his wife towards the door and Arabella quietly followed after her.

When the two women had left the room, lord Caldwell closed the doors and turned to the two young men. “Now. What exactly is going on here?” he said in a cold tone.

***

Morning walks to the stables were something she had picked up after her ride with Daniel, a few days ago. It was nice to be in familiar surroundings, with the familiar scent of horses. And it gave her some reprieve from te sophisticated mansion. Here, she could be herself.

She smiled when she saw Harun exit one of the stalls with an empty bucket.

He grinned when he saw her. “Morning, Miss.”

Milena smiled and shook her head at him.

He grinned shyly. “Leah,” he corrected himself.

Her smile widened.

“Did you come to help me again?” Harun asked and she nodded. He handed her a brush and opened the door to the stall.
He followed after her and started his daily routine while she quietly groomed the horse.

“Shame on you, Harun, letting a lady do your chores for you.” Jonathan stood outside the horse’s stall with his arms crossed in front of his chest. An amused smile was plastered on his face.

Harun flinched. “I’m sorry, sir.”

Jonathan raised an eyebrow. “Are you now?”

Milena’s eyes went wide and she shook her head vividly. She hadn’t meant to cause Harun trouble.

Jonathan burst out laughing when he saw her. “Don’t worry, Miss, he’s not in trouble. You have a gift with horses, but I can’t let you work here. You are a houseguest. You shouldn’t involve yourself with common folk like us.” When he saw her expression fall, he sighed and scratched his head. “I’ll talk with lord Daniel. We’ll see if we can work something out, but until then, out of my stables.” The grin on his face softened his words and Milena smiled at him warmly. She handed the brush to Harun and dashed towards the house.

Jonathan shook his head. “Such a wild one,” he commented. He glanced at Harun and found the boy smirking. “Don’t just stand around, boy,” he scolded, “there are horses to be fed.” He watched the boy hurry towards the next animal and sighed. “Wild ones. Both of them.”

***

“Foolish boy!” lord Caldwell growled at his son. He paced the length of his study. Nathaniel had long gone, he had taken Arabella for a walk in the gardens. It was just him and Jackson now.

“Ignorant child!” he said, “what were you thinking? For years I have turned a blind eye to your many escapades because you were always discrete. But now… have you lost your mind boy?! With a house filled with guests?! How could you be so foolish?!”

The story of what had transpired between Jackson and that gypsy had come out in bits and pieces, with much arguing between both Jackson and Nathaniel, but he had pieced things together just fine. And he was not impressed.

“Ara was the one that invited her into this house,” Jackson protested.

“It doesn’t matter,” his father hissed, “if you want to dally with a gypsy then do be discrete about it. Don’t do it for the world to see! And especially don’t vex Daniel Blackwood!”

“Heh,” Jackson scoffed, “he is blinded by that girl. She is no one and he acts like I dishonored his sister. It’s ridiculous.”

“It doesn’t matter how besotted he is with any girl. What matters is that you made a  fool out of yourself in front of half the peers in the country and argued with Daniel Blackwood like a commoner. You tainted the Caldwell name. My name!”

Jackson gritted his teeth at his father’s reprimand. But the worst was yet to come.

“I think it’s time you get yourself a wife.”

“Say what?” Jackson exclaimed.

“I’ve let you chase your own pleasures far too long,” his father continued, “it’s time you leave that behind and grow up.”

“You’re jesting.”

“I have never been more serious. You are acting like a child. You need to start acting like a man.” He sighed. “I don’t have eternal life, Jackson. And when I’m gone, you need to provide for your mother. Ara will have Nathaniel, so she is taken care for. You need to take over my trade.”

Just in time, Jackson swallowed the comment he had been about to make, that Nathaniel could easily take care of his mother.

But if he said those words out loud, it would only ensure his father’s fury. Perhaps he would even cut off his son’s allowance. And Jackson needed his allowance to pursuit all the pleasures in life.

So he chose to keep silent. Let his father believe he had tamed his wild son. He would just have to be more discrete. But he couldn’t be too compliant or his father would be suspicious. “Of course I want mother to be taken care for,” Jackson said.

“Good,” his father nodded before he could say something else, “go get dressed. We will start right away. Meet me back here in my study and we will go through the last shipment. It is about time you learn the trade.” He pointed at the door.

Jackson gritted his teeth, but knew he had no other choice than to obey.

He went.

***

“It’s a good thing your father has returned,” Nathaniel said, “he’ll straighten Jackson out.”

“I’m not sure,” Arabella sighed, “he has always indulged Jackson, looked away when he stepped out of line.”

“It’s different this time. There were witnesses. Daniel’s denouncing of his friendship with Jackson has been the talk of the town. This won’t simply blow over. Your father has no other choice.”

“Perhaps,” Arabella mused.

“Don’t worry to much,” Nathaniel assured her. He took her hand and kissed it.

“I know,” she nodded.

“Come,” Nathaniel said. “let us join your mother. She must be upset and she only just returned. You should go see her.”

Arabella smiled. “Yes, you are right.” Her mother had always ignored Jackson’s mishaps and sometimes, her father had shielded things from her as to not upset her.

This scandal would destroy her. She needed to be strong now.

Arabella took a deep breath. “Let’s go find her.”

***

“Daniel!” Amelia entered the study and gave him the sweetest smile.

Daniel sighed and put down his pen. “I know that smile. How much is it going to cost me?”

His sister edged closer and leaned on his desk. “Ara’s wedding is getting closer and I was thinking.”

“Now there is something rare.”

Amelia ignored his comment and continued. “We should go into the city and buy new dresses.”

Daniel leaned back into his seat. “Don’t you have a wardrobe filled with dresses?”

Amelia pouted. “But I have already worn them I am in desperate need of something new. And Emily hasn’t’ gathered at a social event for such a long time. And think of Leah! Surely you can’t expect her to wear one of my old dresses.”

Daniel sighed. “You are a clever one, that’s for sure. How am I supposed to pay for all of that?”

“Please Daniel. Did you not make profit on your last journey? I will never ask for anything again.”

Daniel smiled at his sister. “I sincerely doubt that.” He sighed. “Alright. We will see. We will go to the city tomorrow and I will send a seamstress for Emily.”

Amelia smiled brightly and hugged her brother. “Thank you! You are the best brother in the world.”

“Just remember that next time I’m asking you to do something.” He released her and smiled when she hurried out of the room. He supposed the girls did deserve something new. And he would love to show Leah around. He wondered if she had ever been to the city. Or did her people avoid such crowded places?

She wouldn’t need to worry. He wouldn’t let anything happen to her. And she deserved nice things.

Yes. Amelia’s suggestion had been a good idea. The sooner he could introduce her into society, the sooner people would accept her.

Perhaps then she would stay.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.4K 658 31
A tale of love where a girl who knew nothing about love learnt it from the very person who she fell in love with but later, fate decides to put more...
62K 7K 44
What happened that a bubbly, chirpy girl riddhima full of life turned to a victim of phonophobia!! Is her life a fairy tale or the worst nightmare? W...
121 67 20
"There exists a world parallel to ours; alike in many aspects, yet different where it matters most. The only thing we know for sure is that certain p...
266K 12.6K 83
**COMPLETED** This is the story of a girl who is best to the good people and just worst to the bad people. She enjoys her life and loves her ga...