Chains of Destiny (book 2)

By Darkshadow52

15 years later. It had been 15 years since Selene of Vesina and Geralt of Rivia parted ways at Kaer Morhen, a... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48

Chapter 12

134 1 0
By Darkshadow52

As Selene Traveled to the house she quickly stopped and pulled out the notice, the job was literally called 'The Devil by the Well.' The job had been posted by a farmer who was worried about his sick and dying daughter. As she road back to the small town she turned and went just a bit further up heading towards the house.

     Shaking her head she quickly dismounted her Horse once more. Her leg no longer felt as if it was on fire and she was indeed relieved for that small mercy. Reaching into a bag she pulled out a worn shirt and carefully wiped away the blood from her face. Once she was clean enough did she finally put the shirt away and go inside of the house.

    "How can I help ye ma'am?" Selene shook her head and pulled out the notice. "I'm here about the notice." "Aye, so ye a witcher?" "I am." "Alright, well what do ye need to know?" "This well is haunted?" "Aye, and I needs the water, or well my daughter does." Selene raised an eyebrow this time. "Can't an herbalist help her?" "No, I've already asked. Everyone's said clean water will help her, can't draw from the rivers anymore, due to all the blood monster and human alike that flows in it."

    Selene nodded, this was one of the worst things about wars. "Right, so you need the water from the well." "Aye, but first the spirit needs to be driven away. I ain't ever seen it, but those who do, they go mad milady, or they don't come back at all." "Right, how do I get there?" "Leave the house and turn left, you'll see a path that'll take ye there. And good luck Lady Witcher."

    Selene nodded once more before she left Odolan's home and headed straight towards her horse, this time it would be faster to take raven rather then leave her behind. Clicking her tongue she urged raven towards the path the man had mentioned.

     After traveling for roughly half an hour Selene could finally see the abandoned village just ahead. Feeling her medallion pulse against her skin she frowned. "Something is definitely there..." she mumbled to herself. Pulling raven to a halt she carefully dismounted and tied to her a tree. "I'll be back girl." And with that she turned and made her way into the abandoned village. Frowning at the state it was in she finally noticed some burnt grass and knelt down to examine it.

    "I wonder what happened here, I should probably look around." After checking several homes she soon found a diary that she picked up and read with care, it was full of entries about what had happened, before she noticed the remains of a man, scowling she looked around once more before she saw markings along the floor and marks against the door frame. "So someone was dragged out of here, must have tried to fight them off..." shaking her head she finally went outside and followed the marks along the ground before she noticed something about the well.

    "There's blood...and the rope, it's taught like something or someone dropped something heavy." Deciding to look into the well Selene felt her blood run cold. "Could this...be Claer? Hm she's missing an arm, I need to burn the remains but can't do that unless I have what binds her to this world." "Hmm, however I can tell now that I'm dealing with a noonwraith." Sighing to herself she gripped the edge of the well.

   "I just hope this jump doesn't kill me, or break my legs." And with that she jumped over and fell down right into the water which was thankfully deep enough. Taking a deep breath she dove beneath the icy water and looked around before she spotted something gold and slightly large. Swimming towards it she quickly but surely grabbed the bracelet that she summarized belonged to Claer and swam towards the surface. "Got it, now time to get the fuck out of here." Looking around she soon noticed an opening and swam towards it only noticing then that it was mainly underwater.

    "Damnit." Cursing to herself she took a deep breath before she dove right back under and followed the singular tunnel, surfacing when she could for air then right back down until she saw light peering in from the exit. Swimming a bit faster finally exited the underwater cave and swam right for the surface. Once there she quickly inhaled before swimming to shore.

    Not even hesitating she pulled herself out of the icy water and walked back towards the village, now soaked to the bone but completely free of blood. Once she had arrived back in the village did she walk over to the remains and laid them out on the ground by the well before placing the bracelet next to her. "Now to burn it." Standing up she took only a few steps back before she set the remains and bracelet on fire using igni. "That should do it, now to wait."

     Kneeling down next to the well Selene closed her eyes as she waited for the noonwraith to appear. Hours passed before she felt it, let alone sensed it. The ungodly scream was almost deafening. Opening her eyes she saw the wraith before her and stood up drawing her sword. Not wanting this particular battle to last long she quickly used yrden forcing the creature to not only slow down but take on a semi corporal form.

     Narrowing her eyes she waited, however she didn't have to take long as the wraith suddenly lunged for her, or dove at her. Stepping sideways Selene made quick work of the wraith before she picked up its remains and put them in a bag. "There, that'll do the trick." Standing up once more she left the village and headed right for Raven who looked up as she approached. "Just me girl, come on let's get out of here."

    Untying her horse from the tree she quickly mounted her before they headed back to Odolan's cottage. Once back she quickly dismounted and went inside. "Ah you're back." "I am, the wraith is gone now, you'll be able to safely get water from the well." "Oh thank you Lady witcher, a thousand thanks. Now my daughter will recover. And you're positive it won't return?" "Positive." "Right, ye reward as promised, it was supposed to be for Mandy when she was to wed but here it's yours now."

   Selene shook her head. "No, you need it for Mandy, not sure I'll ever marry. But when she get married just raise a glass to my health and I'll call it even." "And they say Witcher's are heartless, but I shan't let you leave empty handed. Here take this amethyst. I hope it brings you luck." Selene nodded and soon walked out of the cottage.

   She had spoken the truth, or what she believed to be the truth, she had no idea if she would marry, let alone live to see that day. With a shake of her head she mounted raven and went back to the inn. Along the way however she heard Geralt's voice and suddenly stopped raven before dismounting.

     "This is the Arsonist Willis." Willis' eyes widened before he frowned. "Napp, it was you? Why? I knew your mother, I charged her nary a copper." "I....I was drunk, Willis please don't turn me in!" Selene walked up behind Geralt and frowned at the boy. "I'm sorry. Guards!" Two men looked over before heading towards Willis. "We told you Willis, it'll be fixed once the parts arrive."

    "No, that's not it this here is the fire starter." The guards looked over at Napp and surrounded him. "Setting fire to the forge set us back greatly, and was treason, no trial needed here just a tree." And with that they led him away. "You have my thanks Geralt, and oh whose this?" This caught Geralt attention as he turned and saw Selene casually leaning against a still standing wall, her clothes soaked.

    "Selene? What on Tamriel...." she shook her head. "Jumped into a well, had a job to finish." His eyes narrowed and that's when he saw the tear in her pants. "What happened to your leg?" Selene shook her head and Willis blinked. "Selene? As in Selene of Vesina?" "The one and only." Willis smiled before facing both of them. "Well for helping me out Geralt both you Selene can come here for weapons and repairs, half the price at that too." "Thank you Willis, now if you don't mind...I need to find out why her pants are ruined."

   Willis nodded and turned away as Selene sighed. "A job, helping a brother find his missing brother, a ghoul managed to cut my leg but as you can tell I'm fine." Geralt shook his head before he walked over and threw an arm over her shoulder leading her back to raven. "I swear, those things have it out for you." She laughed. "Yeah well that's with most monsters we kill." "I know, but why did you need to jump down a well?" And with that Selene told him about the noonwraith and how she had to lift the curse and get rid of it.

     "What was the reward for that hell of a job?" "I turned it down, wasn't about to take some kids dowry." "Right, that sounds like you." She nodded as they walked to the inn with Raven in tow. "He did give me some amethyst. I even told him when his daughter Marries to raise a glass to my health since I don't know if I'll ever marry." Geralt frowned a bit but knew where she was coming from, most Witcher's never married, in fact most died before they could even consider it.

    "Right, well now that raven is secure why don't we go get you changed then come back to get something to eat before we head to the Garrison." Selene simply nodded before the two set off to do just that, change and eat before heading off to get some answers about the griffin, along the way she told him about the quest involving the brother and he smiled. "Leave it to you to make sure both of them survived." She simply shrugged. "I wanted to show compassion." "And you did." He kissed her forehead before he helped her climb onto raven before he himself mounted Roach. "Ready?" She smiled "lead the way." And with that the two took off for the garrison.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

253K 6.2K 84
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost, The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the...
17.6K 467 12
I, Rafaela of Loc Munnine, Rafe to my friends , the Red Wolf, Healer of Witchers and men, am running from one man. I have spent the last 20 years ou...
27.5K 933 24
Cassiopeia dreams of adventure which led her to a normal group hiking trip...or so it was supposed to be. After a freak accident she finds herself l...
5.6K 94 28
The story continues after Geralt's and Yennefer's wedding 7 years later. Their lifestyle has changed which means nothing will be the same than before...