The Unexpected Path

By TheFeveredBookaholic

They say the best things in life are unexpected but so are the worst things. Especially the worst things. Luc... More

Dedications
Playlist
Prologue - Lucas
Chapter 1 - Lucas
Chapter 2 - Olivia
Chapter 3 - Lucas
Chapter 4 - Olivia
Chapter 5 - Lucas
Chapter 6 - Olivia
Chapter 7 - Lucas
Chapter 8 - Olivia
Chapter 9 - Lucas
Chapter 10 - Olivia
Chapter 11 - Lucas
Chapter 12 - Olivia
Chapter 13 - Lucas
Chapter 15 - Lucas
Chapter 16 - Olivia
Chapter 17 - Lucas
Chapter 18 - Olivia
Chapter 19 - Olivia
Chapter 20 - Lucas
Chapter 21 - Lucas
Chapter 22 - Olivia
Chapter 23 - Lucas
Chapter 24 - Olivia
Chapter 25 - Lucas
Chapter 26 - Olivia
Chapter 27 - Lucas
Chapter 28 - Olivia
Chapter 29 - Lucas
Chapter 30 - Lucas
Chapter 31 - Lizzie
Chapter 32 - Emily
Chapter 33 - Jaxon
Chapter 34 - Lucas
Chapter 35 - Olivia
Epilogue - Lucas
Author's Note
NEW PROJECT - Fall 2020 Standalone
NEW PROJECT - Sweet Spot Synopsis
BONUS CHAPTER - Lucas

Chapter 14 - Olivia

63.1K 2.8K 6K
By TheFeveredBookaholic

"This is your house?" Beck's eyes bug out of his head.

"Yeah," I laugh and look at it, trying to see what he sees. It's a big house but Dad customized it to be that way. He bought all this land for our family's privacy so not only is our house here, but so is the live in-gym, the back pool, and the theatre room. Anything that would make it easier than going in public and not be bombarded by people. I know people would consider this a "rich lifestyle" but it's honestly a hidden lifestyle. We don't get to share the world with everyone else so we had to make our own here. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate growing up financially stable. Above all I'm just glad I was always loved.

"Insane," Beck whispers. "Are you sure I'm not intruding? Your family and extended family are a big deal. I'm just...me."

"You're my friend and a damn good one, Beck. It's definitely fine."

Beck and I have gotten a lot closer this past month. He spends a lot of time with Grace and I and sometimes Alex joins too. Because we know the best hockey players at BU, we essentially know the whole school. Beck has been a saving grace through it all, making sure anyone who talks shit about me is put in place. The rumours about me have long since vanished and I'm in the company of good people. I think it helped that I haven't talked to Lucas at all, save for a couple weeks ago. I thought I would give it one more shot since he was having a breakdown — or so Zack said when he called me and told me to come to his dad's gym — but all Lucas did was act like a royal ass. I shouldn't have expected any differently. So now we're back to being strangers but that's fine because I don't need him.

I smile at Beck now and he smiles back. We agreed to stay friends but I don't know. I only said that to him because of the weirdness between Lucas and I and I didn't want to entertain two guys at once. But Lucas hasn't been in my life at all and based on our fight two weeks ago, it's likely to stay that way. Now it's just Beck and I think I'm starting to really like him. I invited him to dinner on a whim when he told me he'd be spending thanksgiving alone. His parents' friend got sick so they had to fly out to Seattle to visit. His little sister got invited to a sleepover so it would just be him. I couldn't imagine someone spending thanksgiving alone when I always celebrate with my humongous and crazy family so I asked him to tag along. I was pleasantly surprised when he said yes.

"Are you sure your dad won't kick my ass?" Beck asks when I enter the pass code to the house.

"Dad's super friendly. He might be overprotective but as long as you're good people he's the sweetest," I assure him and lead him inside, closing the gates behind me. We walk down the short pathway to the house and I put my key in the door, unlocking it. I call out a hearty, "I'm home!"

Nobody hears me. It's already chaotic. There's people everywhere running around and trying to get everything done in time. Kids are screaming and fighting and the adults are yelling at them to calm down. My uncles are being knuckleheads as usual, sparring and fighting because they can't rest for one damn second. I look over at Beck apologetically and cringe at his unhinged jaw.

"Yeah...I should have warned you better," I close his mouth and he finally looks at me.

"I, um, I think I'm having a fanboy moment. This is embarrassing," He gulps and looks around the living room. "Holy fuck, it's them. All of the original Fighter's Den boxers."

"It's them," I confirm. "Feel free to say hi. They're sweet."

"They look like they can break me in half and dip me in garlic sauce, Liv."

"Oh, relax. They're a bunch of teddy bears."

"It's not happening."

"Baby," I tease. "Come on. You can meet my parents first then."

He nods wordlessly, still looking around with starstruck eyes. I have to grab him by the hand and lead him away. We pass the living room and obnoxiously large spiral staircase and toward the back where the guest room is. It looks like Mom and Dad hired caterers because uniformed staff are setting up the table and bustling in and out of the place. I spot the top of Dad's head where the doors to the porch are and head for him, Beck close behind me.

Like he can sense me, Dad turns around before I can reach him. He breaks out into a grin when he sees me and stretches his arms out. "Sweet pea!"

"Hi Daddy," I jump on my heels so I can reach him and he laughs, meeting me halfway and bending down to pick me up. I wrap my arms around his neck in a tight hug and squeeze. "I missed you."

"I missed you more, baby," He kisses my forehead and sets me down, cupping my face. "How's my girl?"

"Good," I tell him honestly. "School is really great. This is Beck, by the way."

"Beck," Dad greets him formally and extends his hand. "I've heard about you."

Beck is at a total loss for words. He gapes at Dad until I nudge him hard enough that he snaps out of it. He shakes Dad's hand with freaking stars in his eyes. "Hi, Mr. West. It's...wow, it's really you. It's crazy that I'm meeting you."

Dad's brows go up in amusement and he tosses me a glance. Just as quick his game face is on and he stares at Beck seriously. "I expect you're being good to my daughter? She's my baby, kid. Don't give me a reason to break you."

"Dad," I roll my eyes. "Be nice."

"Answer the question," He tells Beck, completely ignoring me.

"Yes, sir," Beck clears his throat and stands a little taller. He's honestly the same height as Dad, maybe even half an inch taller, but Dad has this way of making other guys seem puny in comparison. I swear he's a softy underneath all that. "If anything it's your daughter that's good to me. She keeps me in check."

It was the right thing to say. The hardness on Dad's face gives way to a grin and he claps Beck on the shoulder. "Good to hear it. Now tell me something embarrassing she did so that I can use it against her in the future."

Beck looks over at me wide wide eyes and I sigh. "What did I say? He's a man-child."

"You're so rude to me," Dad says seriously and I bite my cheek to stop my laughter. "I'm putting you up for adoption."

"Shut up," I laugh and shove his shoulder. "Where's Mom?"

"Backyard, I think."

"Come on," I tug on Beck's sleeve to lead him away. "Dad is overwhelming. You should catch a break from him while you can."

Dad takes a sip of his beer, completely unfazed. "Could you be any more jealous of me right now?"

I shake my head at him when he tosses me a wink and goes back to speaking to one of the caterers. As Beck and I head for the backyard, he grins over at me.

"Your dad is cool as fuck."

"Isn't he? Mom's the same. You'll see."

I spot her at that moment and wave her over. She abandons her lounge chair and heads for us with a huge grin on her face.

"I mean this in the most respectful way possible," Beck starts under his breath. "But your mom is outrageously hot."

"Where do you think I get it from?" I wave him off. I open my arms up to Mom when she's close enough. "Mamá!"

"Hi baby," She coos and engulfs me in a warm hug. She squeezes me so tight I almost lose my breath for a second. When she lets me go to hug Beck he's definitely on the same boat, visibly fighting for air and watching me with panicked eyes over her shoulder. "You must be Beck."

"Hi, Dr. West," Beck greets politely, clearing his throat when Mom finally lets him go. He shakes her hand. "It's really great to meet you."

"Call me Avery," Mom corrects, pinching his bicep. "Wow. They didn't make 'em like you in my days. You're only twenty?"

"Ma," I hiss. God, my parents are so inappropriate.

"I'm just asking," She scoffs and smiles at Beck again who's now red in the face. "I heard you play hockey?"

"Yeah," He scratches the back of his neck. "Hoping to go pro."

"Professional athlete, huh?" Mom laughs and tosses me a saucy look over my shoulder. "I see you inherited my taste in men too."

"Why are you like this?" I ask her solemnly. This moment could not be any more awkward.

Mom just waves a hand. "Go. Let him meet your uncles and give him a tour of the house. Dinner starts in thirty."

I nod and jerk my head at Beck to let him know to follow me. We head back inside the house and I start for the living room where I saw everyone else earlier.

"I can see where you got your personality from," Beck offers kindly.

"Yeah. Mom and Dad have always been the outgoing and borderline crazy ones in the family. But they taught me to be confident and sure of who I am. I have the West spunk."

"I definitely see that." His eyes grow wide when he takes in all the people in the living room, looking at me unsurely. "Woah. That's a lot of people."

I nod in agreement. "We're a huge bunch, alright. Let me break down the family tree for you."

I point to Uncle Nate who's yelling at Uncle Ash to stop being a little shit. "That's Uncle Nate. He's married to Aunt Delilah and they have two kids — Zack and Ava."

I swing my pointer finger over. "The guy he's yelling at? His best friend, Uncle Asher. He's married to Uncle Nate's twin sister, my Aunt Aria. They have two sets of twins — the boys, Ethan and Evan, and the girls, Hailey and Riley."

I point to the only person in the room who's not screaming their heads off. "That's Uncle Wolfe. He's married to Aunt Melanie and they have three girls — Reese, Quinn, and Jamie."

"That's a lot of information," Beck mumbles. "What about Lucas's dad?"

I tilt my head when I realize he isn't here. "Good point. Uncle Jax is probably upstairs with Aunt Em. They have Lizzie, Lucas, and Landon, by the way."

"So all together you're..."

"Twenty-three people," I finish for him. "And a little bundle on the way. Lizzie is pregnant."

"Holy Christ," Beck laughs good-naturedly. "I bet you don't even feel like an only child."

"I'm kind of grateful it's just me. At least I'm able to get some privacy here and there."

"I bet. You guys are like an army of your own."

"We're harmless," I link my arm through his. "Want to formally meet my uncles?"

"Hell yeah," He breathes and I laugh, tugging him inside the room. I wave an arm and scream over the chaos of screaming children and fighting grown men. "Hello! Would it kill you to acknowledge your goddaughter?"

Because we're such a huge bunch, we take care of each other. I'm not formally any of their goddaughter but we are family so that's the term we use for all the kids. They're our uncles and we're their godchildren.

"Sorry babe," Uncle Nate laughs and pulls me in for a hug first. "Look at how big you're getting. Way to make me feel old."

"You are old," Uncle Asher fires back. "And you're aging hideously."

"Suck my dick, Ash."

"Your sister sucks mine."

"Gross!" I scowl at them. "Would you two grow up already?"

"Never," Uncle Ash winks and wraps an arm around me. "What's up, kid?"

"I regret stepping foot in this house, that's what."

"Like you would've been able to get out of it. Cameron sent out virtual invitations that uploads a virus in your computer as soon as you open them. That's how he got the rest of us to come."

I shouldn't laugh but I do. "That sounds like Dad."

"How did he spawn you? I'll never understand it."

"Because I'm perfect!" Dad hollers from somewhere outside the living room. I swear he has eyes and ears all over the house. "I'm so perfect it only took me one shot to make the ultimate child! What do your four children have to say about that?"

Uncle Asher scowls and rolls his sleeves up, stalking out of the room to no doubt beat up Dad for that comment.

Uncle Wolfe coughs into his fist to hide his laugh and we share a smile. He doesn't say much but he means well. He actually used to be a mute for nearly his whole life. I lean down to hug him in his seat and he wraps an arm around me in return. Uncle Wolfe is gigantic, a 6'6 beast that's tatted and always scowling, but he's the softest of all my uncles at heart. I kiss his cheek and he smiles back. Again, not a man of many words but he's super loving.

"This is my friend Beck," I introduce him and pull him forward. I don't blame him for looking intimidated.

"Good to meet you man," Uncle Nate shakes his hand first. He's always been the nicest one. "I can tell you play. What sport?"

"Hockey, sir," Beck answers. "I'm a huge fan. Your debut match is hands down one of the best I've seen to this day."

"I appreciate that," Uncle Nate grins. "You watch after our girl, now."

"Definitely." Beck extends his hand to Uncle Wolfe whose smile is long gone. But that's just because he's a naturally scary dude on the outside. "Huge fan of yours too, Mr. Emerson. So is my mom but mostly because she thinks the way you proposed to your wife and spoke to the world for her is the most romantic thing she's ever seen."

"Thank you," Uncle Wolfe goes a little red at the mention but he shakes Beck's hand. We meet eyes and his brow goes slightly up in approval. I grin back.

"What'd I miss?" Uncle Ash saunters back inside. Dad is behind him and fixing the collar of his shirt. They're both disheveled, the freaking Neanderthals. Uncle Ash finally notices Beck. "Who's the kid?"

"This is my friend Beck," I say through gritted teeth. Uncle Ash is naturally an asshole. There's no other way to say it. He's always had trouble being well-mannered. "He's joining us for dinner today."

"Cool," He shakes Beck's hand. "I doubt Lucas is happy about your presence."

My jaw unhinges at the same time everyone else winces. This house knows better than to say anything about me and Lucas. Sometimes I really hate how blunt Uncle Ash is.

"Dude," Uncle Nate smacks him upside the head. "When will you learn, you fucking lost cause?"

"That's okay," Beck intervenes hastily. "I can hold my own and I'm here for Olivia, no one else. But really good to meet you, Mr. Pryce. I mean this with utmost respect to everyone else but you're the most gifted fighter here. It shows."

Uncle Asher points at him. "You know what? I like you. You clearly have an eye for God's favourites."

"You just had to get him started," Dad mumbles. "Zack is here, sweet pea. You should go save him. The kids are trying to eat him alive."

I look around and finally realize how quiet it is. Jesus, the kids are like ninjas. I didn't even notice them leave.

"Shit. Let's go find him," I nudge Beck who nods.

"Could I get a minute, babe?" Uncle Nate asks.

"Sure," I tell Beck to go ahead and find Zack and Uncle Nate takes me to one corner of the room. I feel my brows furrow. "Is everything okay?"

"I'm worried about Zack," He admits. "Have you noticed anything different about him lately? Is he being weird at school or is this just a home thing?"

Huh. So I wasn't the only one who noticed. "He's definitely been distracted and out of it. He seems..."

"Sad," We finish at the time same time. Uncle Nate curses. "Fuck. I knew it. I tried asking him if there's something he wants to talk about but he keeps brushing me off. It's not like him to do that. My boy tells me everything."

"I don't know," I say apologetically. "I'll keep a better eye on him. I should be there for him."

"Don't beat yourself up," He kisses my forehead. "Even if you knew something I'd want to hear it from him. I want him to trust me, you know?"

"I'm sure he does. Maybe Lucas knows something?"

"Probably but I can never find a good time to talk to him. He's...he's definitely his father's son."

"Anger issues and doesn't think before he speaks?" I raise an unconvinced brow. Uncle Jax is a serious man but he's not an ass.

Uncle Nate laughs at my expression. "Trust me, Jaxon was not an easy man to get to know. He pushed us away for a long time and made Emily's life hell before he took his head out of his ass. Lucas and you are Jaxon and Emily and we all know it."

"What?" I sputter in disbelief, laughing. "Are you crazy? Uncle Jax is crazy for Aunt Em. Lucas and I can't even stand being in the same room."

He kisses my forehead again and shrugs. "Look, he's a tough kid and he needs help. I'm not saying he doesn't need to get it together. But there are things about him you've yet to learn. It might explain a lot. Just...don't walk away until you have all the facts?"

I don't know how to answer but it doesn't matter because he rubs my arm affectionately and walks away. I have no idea what to make of his words. Is he seriously defending Lucas? I don't think he would if he saw the way he treats me. I frown because talking about Lucas made me realize I'm bound to bump into him any minute now. Before he has the chance, I want to see Aunt Em and I'd like to do that without her evil spawn in the way.

I head for the stairs and go up, figuring she might be in Mom's room. As I walk down the hall Uncle Jax comes into view, rubbing his eyes tiredly. He stops when he sees me.

"Hey kiddo," He greets me with a hug I return. Uncle Jax isn't big on affection at all. The fact that he's hugging me says a lot about how out of it he must be. I hug him tight while I have the chance, feeling so emotional. My heart is freaking breaking for him. When we pull away, he points behind him. "Lucas is in your mom's room with Emily."

My smile falters. There goes my epic plan. "Oh. Okay. Thanks."

"So you're not doing so hot with him either, huh?" He asks and puts his hands in his pocket. "I don't mean to sound like a dick but that makes me feel better."

I appreciate his ability to joke and crack a smile. "Funny. I was going to the say same to you."

He laughs and I'm pretty sure it's the first time I've seen that in months. "Man, you remind me way too much of your idiot father."

I know he means that affectionately. Uncle Jaxon and Dad are best friends. Dad is the one who got through to him when everyone else gave up on him, or so I've heard. "Speaking of, I'm hearing you used to be just like Lucas back in your days."

"Definitely," He sighs. "It's why I'm trying to be patient. He thinks I don't understand him but I know him best. I was just like him. I was losing everyone around me and taking it out on the wrong people. I was destroying lives to put my shitty one in perspective. I was depressed and so is he."

The human in me feels guilt for not being there for him. I mean, I freaking slapped him. But he deserved it. He was way out of line and I won't stand for it, even if I sympathize with his situation.

"She's going to be okay," I finally whisper. "I hope for it all the time."

"Me too," He quickly looks away and clears his throat. After a moment he asks, "How is he? How's my boy?"

Damn it. Damn if I don't feel my heart crack open all over again. It's hard seeing the relationship between Uncle Jax and Lucas take such a hard hit. It's hard seeing their family fall apart because they're my family too.

"I wish I knew more," I finally offer. "He really doesn't like me."

Uncle Jax smiles but I'm not sure why. "That's the furthest thing from the truth, Olivia. My son would do anything for you."

Again with this? I shake my head and don't even bother to hide my disbelief. "No offence but how can you say that? He's horrible to me, Uncle Jax."

"And that's wrong," He agrees. "I kick his ass for it and I let your father kick mine. Lucas and I both deserve it. But there's a reason Emily managed to love me despite everything and there's a reason nobody has my back like your father, even though I was just as much of an ass."

"What's that reason?"

"Stick around, okay?" He says instead. "He's only standing on his feet because of you."

God, I don't understand these people. I don't. Lucas and I have been at each other's throats for years. We're only getting worse. How can everyone be so delusional and forgiving? I don't think I'll ever forgive Lucas. Every time I think that maybe I can be the bigger person and do it, he breaks my heart all over again. There's nothing left because of that asshole. Who do I look like romanticizing that?

"Look who it is!" Aunt Emily walks out of the room and stretches her arms out to me. "Hi, honey."

My throat locks up at the sight of her. Holy Jesus, when did she get so thin? She had to have lost over twenty pounds, maybe more. There's lines on her face that were never there and her eye bags are the deepest I've seen them. Even so she's absolutely beautiful. Her blue eyes are full of life despite everything. She's so damn strong.

"Hey, Aunt Em," I return her hug. As much as I want to squeeze her I'm scared I'll accidentally hurt her instead. I keep my touch light and careful, trying to make my smile sincere when I pull back. "You look amazing."

And she does. She glammed up today. She's wearing a dress and makeup and everything. I remember this dress and the way her figure used to fill it out. Now it hangs looser but she's still rocking it.

"Thank you," She beams. "I actually feel hot."

"As you should, gorgeous," Uncle Jax wraps an arm around her waist, leaning down to nip her ear playfully. "God, you're sexy."

"Jax," She laughs and stares up at him with sheer adoration. "You think so?"

"I know so, my love," He whispers and kisses her softly, carefully.

I look away when tears suddenly flood my eyes. Is this what their kids have to see everyday? I think I would go crazy watching my parents and wondering if they'd lose the person they obviously love so much.  Just their one moment makes me want to lock myself in a room and cry.

"We'll see you downstairs?" I hear Aunt Em ask and look at her again.

"For sure," I clear my throat and muster up a smile.

It isn't until the two of them walk away that I finally notice Lucas. He's leaning against my mom's bedroom door and watching me. Watching me get it together is more like it because the tears finally slip through and I quickly wipe them away. His face is solemn. Not mad or irritated, for the first time ever.

"That was hard to watch," I finally say through a raspy voice. I don't know why I feel the need to explain myself. Maybe because I don't know what else to say.

"Yeah," He agrees quietly. "But today's a good day. She's in a happy mood and she feels strong. It's a good day for her, Olivia."

A hint of a smile peeks through on his face. It's crazy how that one tilt of his mouth tremendously softens the rest of him. I haven't seen him this way in so long.

"Yeah?" I ask. God, that gives me so much hope. I didn't even realize how badly I needed it until this moment. From all of my aunts I've always been the closest to Aunt Em. I need her.

He nods. "She's beautiful when she's happy, isn't she?"

"The prettiest," I agree on a whisper.

We stare at each other for a moment and I wonder if he's thinking the same thing I am — are we actually not fighting for once? And why does it feel so nice?

I can't let myself carried away. One good moment doesn't erase all of our bad ones. I quickly look away and head for the staircase. I don't trust myself around him right now.

"You know," He starts and I pause. I don't owe it to him to hear him out but there's something about his voice that makes me hesitate. It's missing its usual spite. "You can't keep the things you've never let go of in the first place. How can you keep what was already yours?"

He's apologizing.

My stomach flips. Holy hell, did I hear that right? I'm frozen in place from shock, unable to move even as I hear his footsteps grow closer. When I feel his chest brush my back I suck in a quiet breath, some life breathed back into me. My eyes fall shut just as his lips graze my ear.

"And you're definitely mine," He whispers.

And when he softly brushes past me and heads down the stairs, all I can do is wonder if he just gave me a piece of my heart back.

___________________________

A/N

THIS CHAPTER!!!!!!!!!! The best in the whole book, y'all.

MY BOYS! Who missed my five boys like I did?! I loveeee seeing them as parents and how many kids they ended up with and how they're still a bunch of shits. I miss my babies so much.

Also, that little moment between Liv and Luc? Swoon check. I told you I know who my boy is at the core. This is just the beginning.

Please VOTE, comment and share if you liked this chapter!

Happy Reading :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.8M 171K 44
*Warning: LABELLED MATURE. Due to sexual content and graphic language, this book is recommended for readers 17+ in age* *CANNOT be read without readi...
303K 9.3K 41
"You have lost your mind, what the hell do you think you're doing?" She yells at me. "Don't start with me." "I'm not starting shit, Elijah! This was...
15.4M 397K 48
Christian Ryder may be seen as a heartthrob by the majority of the world's female population, but to Sophia Hastings, he might as well be the newest...
37.7K 973 109
Sometimes, not every love story can be as idyllic as it should be. Dean Winchester, bred and raised in the mafia, carried a heart that yearned desper...