Reanimation...a Yugioh Fan Fi...

Por HopeJohn

The Pharoah is gone now...at peace within the spirit world, but that does not keep the world alone peaceful... Más

[PART ONE] Issue #1...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #2...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #3...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #4...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #5...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #6...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #7...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #8....a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #9...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #10...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #11...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #12...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #13...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #14...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #15...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #16...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #17...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #18...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #19...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #20...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
[PART TWO] Issue #21...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #22...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #23...a Yugioh Fan Fiction.
Issue #24...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #25...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #26...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #27...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #28...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #29...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #30...a Yugioh Fan Fiction.
Issue #32...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #33...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #34: Reanimation's Holiday Issue...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #35: Reanimation's Holiday Issue [continued]...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
[PART THREE] Issue #36...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #37...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #38...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #39...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #40...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #41...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #42...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #43...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #44...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #45...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #46...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #47...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #48...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #49...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #50...a Yugioh Fan Fiction
Issue #51...a Yugioh Fan Fiction

Issue #31...a Yugioh Fan Fiction

990 21 16
Por HopeJohn

Dedicated to CelestialRose...for her sanity and due to her awesome comments I have updated. :)

WARNING: THERE IS A DUEL DURING THIS CHAPTER, BUT ITS VERY BRIEF SO NO WORRIES MY LOVELY READERS. I apologize if its not played correctly, just bear with me becuase the end result of the duel would be the same. :D

And the plot thickens....

************************************************

            Immediately I whacked Seto Kaiba upside the head with a branch once it was obvious he wasn’t himself. He grabbed the branch and gnawed at it with his fangs—snapping it in two.

I didn’t like it—but I tackled him to the ground and held him tightly in human form—wrapping my arms and legs around him—restraining him from Taiya—who dropped the useless branch tightly into the ground.

“Seto knock it off!” I hissed tightly in through my gritted teeth as I tried to maintain balance on his back as he stood up in wolf form.

            He ignored me and snapped at my arms drawing blood. It hurt more than it should of—and it wasn’t because of how hard he bit me—it was because I knew that he had bit me intentionally.

“You have to control it!!” I snapped and grabbed him and threw him onto the ground once more—his side slammed onto the ground the same time mine did. I felt the breath whoosh out of him. Breathing heavily I let go of him. I stood up and walked away with my back turned to him. He didn’t move from the ground.

I turned around and watched him stagger to his feet his paws bleeding. Then he was on his hands and knees staring at the ground. Taiya, Joey and Tristan remained silent…watching him as I did—observing his every move. He still had that hostile look in his eyes—the eyes of a heartless enemy. He wasn’t gone though—I couldn’t give up that easily.

***************************************************

Atticus looked over his shoulder watching—his body leaned tightly leaning against the tree as it hid himself from view of the others. He stared wide eyed at Seto Kaiba…one of the most powerful people in the world…when he had shape-shifted from the golden wolf to the young bachelor he was.

“Golden boy?” he said…unbelieving what he had just seen. Seto was leaning heavily on the ground…his eyes a wild blue. He reminded Atticus of a murderer. To him Seto Kaiba was dead—gone—lost by his own insanity.

Hope hugged herself tightly as she stared at him, oblivious to the shot wound that had been bothering her earlier. His stared stunned at her right arm…the wound was nearly healed.

****************************************************

“Seto…” I said softly, “do you remember me…remember Mocuba?”

His fists tightened on the ground. He was on his feet and he tried to throw me to the ground. I whirled around him—and my feet slipped against his and suddenly I was on the ground.

His duel disk flashed open as a spiritless smiled formed his face.

He stared at me and that’s when I realized I wasn’t going to be able to get Seto back by talking—I was going to have to duel.

I was back on my feet and his smile had faded.

“You want to duel…” I said with restrained agony in my voice. My duel disk snapped open. I continued…staring deep into his eyes. “Then you’re one for the greatest duel of your life.”I had finally realized what I wanted, he wanted to duel the way I dueled, the way Shadow dueled. Our methods of attacking our opponent were vicious and cruel. Could I do that to him?

To Seto?

I glanced at Tristan, Joey and Taiya, “Go back to the others.” I ordered.

“Uh—uh,” Taiya said with a shake of her head.

“We are going nowhere.” Joey said with a look in his eyes that gave me the impression of a stone wall.

“We’re here for back up.” Tristan said and continued, “we aren’t just going to leave us because you asked. We’re your buddies—and we aren’t leaving you with him by yourself!” My eyes softened…I always forgot that they would always be there when I needed them…even when I didn’t realize I would need them.

“Yeah, we’ve heard years of Yugi telling us to leave….If you think just because you said we’ll listen—you’re wrong.” Joey said in agreement with Tristan.

I didn’t stare at them as I warned “You guys are going to get torn to pieces if I lose—” Taiya cut in—finishing my sentence for me.

“I guess you won’t lose then!” She snapped at me.

I stared at Seto Kaiba with such irritation in my voice. “Your move…Kaiba. Better make it count.” I didn’t want to duel him with Entrez's form—but I would if necessary.

          He was going to attack in wolf form—which meant I could die during this duel from being injured so bad—there was still a chance of this even if I won. I couldn’t bring myself to kill him after all we’ve been though—I just hoped before the duel was over with—he wouldn’t be able to bring himself to kill me when he got the chance.

I would somehow—have to stare past the murderous look in his eyes—even though they were the eyes of a killer—and search deeply for the Seto Kaiba I had first met. Now looking at him—remembering him before could be difficult.

“It’s my move!” I ordered and I drew my seven cards. I glanced at them—narrowing out a strategy. My duel disk flashed…showing I had 4000 Lifepoints—the same amount as Seto.

“I play the monster card Demon Stallion in Defense mode. I place two cards facedown. Your move Kaiba;” He had 1800 attack and 1900 defense

He drew his cards and shouted. “I play White Centaur in Attack mode—take down her pony!!!” His monster with 2000 attack points launched at me and attacked Demon Stallion. My monster was demolished in this attack and the centaur charged back to his side of the field.

“You activated Demon Stallion’s special effect! Whenever he’s sent to the graveyard—I can summon out Shadow Mare and she can ATTACK YOU DIRECTLY!!!” I shouted and a large she-horse appeared onto the field in defense mode—her eyes glowed blue and her body was covered in a misty black fog. A crystallized pair of wings was formed at her back—and it shimmered like water. As she reared up onto her hind legs she flapped her wings—showing she had 1900 attack points and 1700 defense.

She lunged across the field and reared up jumping into Seto’s chest as she reared and stuck 1900 Lifepoints from him. He shuddered and went down on his left knee.

“It’s my move…” I replied as Seto didn’t respond…his golden brown hair shadowed his face.

“I place a facedown and it’s your move Kaiba.” I said flipping a card down on my duel disk. It was a monster card—I could use him to block Shadow Mare.

“You are using dark monsters.” Seto observed.

“No…” I corrected, “they are only as dark as the owner that owns them. I have my darkness and I have my light—they balance out my deck.”

“You’re wrong!!” He shouted, “The darkness will always take the light!!” He placed a magic card onto the field. It was called Agitation State. “This allows after you have attacked me once directly I can do the same to you. ATTACK!!!” He said and he threw himself at me in wolf form. His golden brown fur brushed my side and he lunged into my side—I cried out in pain—for it burned worse than any pain to be attacked by your closest friend.

I crumpled to my knees as I felt the hot blood rush down my side. It was the most unbearable pain in the universe—and I was getting a full dose of it. To make matters worse…my Life Points were suddenly cut in half.

“Hope!!” Taiya wailed as soon as she watched me fall onto the ground. Tristan and Joey shouted to me.

“Come on get up!!” they ordered—I made no move. My hair had fallen over my face and the blood ran down my side—pooling into the grass next to me.

What if he is right? The darkness will always take the light…My thoughts swirled as I stared at the ground…the betrayal too great to handle.

************************************

         Atticus watched in horror as the wolf Kaiba whirled around with a snarl and growled darkly at Hope. She did nothing—only her body gave way to her pain as her arms shook underneath her. Atticus stared in amazement as she pulled herself back onto her feet; Kaiba’s tail flicked in irritation.

***********************************

“You’re right…” I agreed as I stared up at him—the hot tears rushing through my eyes. I could feel my friends fill with despair as I began to give in to Kaiba’s words.

“But you know what…”I said softly. “Even on the bleakest night—there is always a sunrise.”

“You’re wrong—with every sunset there is a dark night—waiting to come forth.” Kaiba reasoned.

"Well a circular arguement is going to get us nowhere now is it?" I retorted as he glared at me;        

“It’s my move…” I said—ignoring his gaze and I drew a card—placing it in my hand glancing it over—I needed every move to make him remember Mocuba and me.

“It’s only you and me Seto—what makes you think that you know what’s wrong and right?” I asked softly…placing White Mare in defense mode.

“One of us is wrong.” He concluded. I stared at him; dismayed by how different he was acting. How cold he was being.

I prayed it wasn’t me, “We’ll let’s find out.” I placed a magic card on the field. “This is the card called Deck Enhancer! It allows one monster of any element to be summoned to the top of my deck,” I stared Seto in the eyes—“Any card that I choose from either of our decks.” His eyes narrowed and glared at me.

“You know which card I want.” I said staring at him. He growled at me in wolf form, his eyes glowing as his hatred streamed through his heart.

“I will not ever give you the Blue Eyes White Dragon.” He said with a snarl.

“You know as well as I do that you have two others in your deck—” I said to him.

“I know why you don’t want me to have it.” I continued—the story starting to fuse inside my head. “It’s because you know that there’s some important story behind it—and you know deep down that Blue Eyes White Dragon is somehow connected to me and Mocuba!” Kaiba snarled darkly. He whirled around in human form as the card spiraled towards my hand.

I caught it sharply with my hand as it sliced the tips of my fingers he had thrown it to me so fiercely. But that pain was easy to ignore when you just had fangs tearing into your side.

***************************************

[third person perspective]

Tristan stared—already recognizing some of the Kaiba that he remembered a long time ago—long before she was even in the picture. That was when he believed power was the only way to win a duel. You wanted to be skilled? Have some of the rarest cards in your deck and you think you’re unstoppable.

“You seem reluctant to realize how wrong you are.” He said to her. “Mixing such powerful monsters with the weak ones you have in your deck.”

“So…? They balance each other out Kaiba—just like you and me.” Hope said—trying to urge him out of his state of insanity.

“I don’t understand—” he said closing his eyes.

“You know what I mean Seto.” Hope said stiffly and she took his card and decided immediately what to do with it. “Evil is something that cannot love….Seto we are not evil.” She stared at him and shape-shifted. Her eyes became sapphire blue—every ounce of her body illuminated by the sunlight.

She had begun to realize she couldn’t win this duel without the wolf.

********************************************

            Atticus stared…stunned at the white wolf with the brilliant eyes…Was that really her? How could she be so…human?

What is going on with this world? He asked himself as he shook, staring at Kaiba and Hope circling each other in a circle as if lost in a dark ancient dance that would somehow led them to each other diving at their throats.

*****************************************            

“How can you consider what’s right Seto—when you’re so clouded by thoughts of darkness?” I whispered as I circled him. He followed me in this as we followed each other’s eyes that never left us. “I don't care if you are human at all Seto—all I know is whenever I stare at you is that you’re closer than any other friend I’ve ever had.”

That’s when it happened…when a small piece of Seto’s insanity shattered like fragile glass struck on a hardwood floor. His eyes softened only for a glimpse and then he was dark again. The truth was hidden in them…somewhere deep…very deep…there was a Seto Kaiba that actually cared about me and his brother more than anything. But for now it was hidden, clouded, and confused.

“It’s you’re move…” He said and I shape-shifted back to a human staring at him.

“So be it—I’ll duel you.” I drew the card that had drawn blood on my fingertips.

“I summon the card Blue Eyes White Dragon—I shouted…and I flipped up another facedown…At the same time Blue Eyes White Dragon roared out onto the field wrapping her wings protectively around my body—it was like being wrapped in light. She had 3000 attack points and 2500 defense.

“By placing Wing Favorer as long as this card stays face up on my field with a winged monster in attack mode I end up with an additional 500 points at the end of my turns—that can be attack points or Lifepoints!” I shouted over Blue Eyes White Dragon’s roar and my Lifepoints shot up to 2500.

“Attack his White Centaur!” I ordered and her jaw opened… “White Lightning!!” This struck the centaur directly in the chest…it shattered and what followed was Seto’s Lifepoints went down to 1100.

So we were an even match for each other. I seen Seto’s eyes grow tired and weary—he was giving in.

    “Seto?”

I was mistaken—immediately the insanity returned and so did his anger.

           “It’s my move!!!” He shouted. He drew a card and smiled immediately once he saw what it was…it worried me.

“I play my Blue Eye’s White Dragon. Let’s see how evenly matched we truly are!!!” His dragon roared powerfully protecting him from harm…oblivious to whether Seto was good or evil…no matter what—Blue Eyes White Dragon would serve him.

“You know what they say Hope; virtually invincible, very few have faced this awesome creature and lived to tell the tale.”

“Well then…I guess we’ll just have to see which one of us will win!” I replied hastily.

********************************************

The two roared at each other powerfully—in the midst every one covered their ears except for Hope and Kaiba—Atticus gripped his ear’s tightly and didn’t remove them until he saw the others did as well.

The dragons had become silent.

The roaring before was like an epiphany to Kaiba. His eyes became softer and less blood lusting.

Atticus watched amazed at Hope as her side bled in dull aching pain and she ignored it as if the pain had only mattered when it was a few turns ago.

She glanced at Kaiba as she spoke staring at Tristan, Taiya and Joey… “Look at them…” She asked Kaiba—and that was all she wanted.

“I want you to look into every one of their eyes and tell me that you don’t remember anything of the past! Remember Mocuba for God’s sake! Remember me Seto!!” She said angrily tears forming her eyes.

“Each one of them followed your brother to protect him—show the same compassion to them as they do your brother!!”      

His eyes suddenly grew angrier again—as each side of the Seto Kaibas struggled for control. He collapsed onto his knees—and the Blue Eyes White Dragon’s mouth began to glow—preparing for an attack. Suddenly the anger took complete control and Blue Eye’s White Dragon roared.

“WHITE LIGHTNING!!!” The dark Kaiba ordered

“That means they’ll both lose!!” Tristan shouted is dismay.

“No!” Taiya, Atticus, and Joey shouted. Suddenly the two dragons roared and they covered their ears as the deafening sounds rang through their ear drums.

Suddenly both of the dragons shot out white lightning…bathing the town in blinding light…

***************************************       

“Hey Sissy!” Iris shouted excitedly… “Look fireworks!” She said in enthusiasm, with a bright smile.

“Oh…cool!” Ian awed.

Chloe stared outside to watch a large light bath the town in a blinding light that was brighter than the sun. It was a large light blinding everything—reminding her of how one might shine a flashlight in one’s eyes.

“Get inside, you two;” She said—sensing something wasn’t right.

“Awe Aunt Chloe!” Ian protested.

“I mean it—you could get blinded.” She said—shoving them into the dark abyss of their house.

She heard a terrifying roar that echoed through the concrete town and it was coming from the forest. “God help whoever it found!” She whispered softly—on the safe inside of the house…There they were safe…there they would stay for the rest of the day…

*********************************

The blinding light cleared and Hope was on her knees gazing at Kaiba. His Lifepoints were down to zero. She still had fifteen hundred Lifepoints left. He was supposed to be the best duelist around, Hope wondered if he had been self-consciously holding back.

“If I played the card Relinquished Defeat I can avoid being attacked by giving up 500 Lifepoints!” She had said this—but it still hadn’t avoided his attack that he had done in wolf form earlier.

Blood had run down her right leg…but she ignored it—understanding she could have been in a worse state. Kaiba lay panting heavily on the ground. He was in human form—which showed he could be in a worse state than imagined. Atticus wondered if Kaiba thought he had won the duel why he hadn’t attacked her throat—her weakest point on her body.

Is he still possessed? Atticus wondered…staring at the mentally wounded Kaiba on the ground. He could think of no other excuse of how dark he was being…other than he had been possessed.

Hope walked to him and she knelt down to Kaiba and brushed his shoulder gently…pressing lightly with her hand as if to soothingly pet him.

He raised his head and stared directly into Hope’s eyes…the only thought that sprung to Atticus’ mind was how dead she was…he was going to tear Hope apart right there…

***************************************

Relief filled my mind as soon as I stared into his eyes—he was back to his normal self. I hugged him so tightly as soon as I sensed the corrupted dark Kaiba was gone.

“What—happened?” He asked so worried as soon as I hugged him tightly.

I pulled back tightly. “You don’t remember?” I asked surprised, but not too overcome by this. When I first shape-shifted I hardly remembered a thing—but I just thought that was because I had been thrown into a brick wall that I couldn’t remember.

No…I don’t remember—should I?” He was curiously wondering what had happened. I know it was probably for the best he didn’t remember the details.

“Yeah…you should remember!” Tristan said. “You freakin’ shape-shifted and you were—” I caught a quick glance and I stared at him. I was pretty sure I was giving him the Don’t-Tell-Him-He-Was-Evil-And-Tried-To-Kill-Melook.

It was effective enough that Tristan let me finish his sentence.

         “You shape-shifted.”

              “Wh—what?” Seto said to me confused.

  “Um yeah—” I said with a quick glance. I pulled him to his feet and my leg shook under the stress.

    “How could this happen?” He looked over me, frowning as he saw all the wounds that had begun to heal. He didn't understand how he could do so much damage.

  “I don’t know—” I said softly, “I think it’s because you were bitten by a Shadow Wolf.”

        “I was…” he began and then I heard the snap of a twig. My eyes narrowed as I heard the sound.

        “We’re being watched.” I said and then I saw Tristan turn and grab something out from behind a large tree once everyone else heard something as well.

“Who are you!?” Tristan held the man by the collar and I immediately recognized him.

        “Atticus?” I said astonished. “What are you doing here?” He shoved Tristan off him and he turned and stared at me.

        “I was wondering why you just went off like that without any complaints at all from the others—now I understand why.” Seto suddenly understood too—even with a bad case of amnesia—that Atticus had either seen me or him shape-shift.

         He stormed forward, pulling back his fist as he punched Atticus in the nose. Atticus fell to the ground.

“Seto!!” I gasped at him.

Atticus glared up at Seto Kaiba as he spoke harshly down to him, “If you ever tell anyone of what you saw—I will hunt you down,” Atticus swung his leg around as it whirled against the grass as it smacked into Seto’s heels.

“Atticus!” I shouted in frustration. Suddenly Kaiba was on the ground next to Atticus. Atticus leaned up and glared at him.

“Who said I planned on telling anyone about this mate? I have no proof and you should know it.”

“Plus not to mention you owe me.” I reminded him. “I did save you from a group of thugs.”

“Well you were also saving yourself and Yugi. And don’t forget I pulled the bullet out of your arm and you bled all over my jeep.”

“Well I guess we are even then.” I said stiffly.

Seto stood back up at the same time Atticus did. “Hold on…Yugi’s here too?”

“Yes,” I replied. “He came with the rest of us. Roran and Breanna are here too…but they’re back at the camp.”

“Camp? That’s what you call it?” Atticus said with a small chuckle. I flushed red once I realized that what I had called camp was basically a meadow in the middle of nowhere that only hours ago actually had people staying in it. We had no food—no plumbing—and no shelter unless you considered the jeep a place that you could try and stuff nine people.

“Well—no one said it was a hotel.” I said in agitation.

“Still pretty low quality for you guys.” He said with a smile.

“Hold on a moment…I can see why it’d be low quality for rich boy over there,” Joey said, “but how exactly would it be low quality for us? I remember when we went to the Tournament that Pegasus organized Taiya, Tristan, and one of our friends were stowaways on the ship that brought us to his island.”

“Actually—” Atticus began, “I was talking about Hope…she’s a member of Kaiba Corp. When I was pulling her out of the jeep her jacket started to untie and I saw the letters KC on it.”

“Man I need new clothes.” I said…now noticing that my KC jacket was in tact, but my blue t-shirt was ripped and covered in blood beyond repair and my jeans had a large tear in the left leg that ran from the top of my knee to the bottom of my ankle. Kaiba glanced down at my clothes and noticed all the blood on them.

“What happened exactly?”

“You happened.” Atticus replied in which case I glared at him. In my own irritation I smacked him upside the head without a second thought.

He held his head. Earlier he had expected to be punched in the face because Seto thought that he was going to tell the world about me, but he didn’t expect a slam on the back of the head this time. “Ouch—son of a b*tch, mate—”

“I didn’t really do that did I?” Kaiba asked staring at me.

I was silent, not answering as I tried to think of how to say it without offending him.         

“How could I have been such an idiot!?” he said through gritted teeth he was so mad at himself. He stared at the blood trailing down my clothes and he closed his eyes, he couldn’t even look at me.

I stood in front of him and gently hugged him tightly. “It’s not your fault! You should realize with the rest of us that when you were bitten—whatever poison ran through the Shadow Wolves’ blood it not only gives people abilities to shape-shift. Their minds become insane and dark.” His eyes widened, surprised my reaction, “It’s not your fault Seto” I repeated, “—you fought it over—in the end, you went to dive for my throat and instead you dug into my leg. You saved yourself—I didn’t do any of that.” Then remembering I took the Blue Eyes White Dragon card and gave it to him. He took it and stared at it.

  “How did you—”

  “Well, you gave it to me—unwillingly—but you did. I think that card helped you realize who you were again.”

He glanced at it and placed it back into his duel disk. I knew he must’ve had a thousand questions running through his mind.

“Perhaps…” I said carefully, “We should just worry about here and now?”

“What’s wrong with here and now?” Joey asked.         

“Well…for one we don’t have any shelter and we don’t have any food Joey!” Taiya said and added, “I thought at least you would notice the food part!”

Being lost by this conversation I gave a small laugh. “Yeah, that surprises me too;” I stared at Atticus and knew that even though I had just met him…there was more trust in him than I’d admit.

“Have any ideas about either Atticus?” I said, Kaiba stared at me surprised I was looking to him for guidance.

“I live in the town of Laval—all I can say is here we’re going to need a bit of cash to get anything done mate.” It was in this small gesture his eyes flicked to Kaiba.

“I can’t contact any one inside of Kaiba Corp.”

“Why not?” Taiya asked curiously.

“Because the woman that stole my brother doesn’t know I’m here—and I’d prefer to keep it that way. It’d be all over the news if anyone found out I was in a dump like this.”

“Then I suggest you get new clothes, mate, it’s a given once any of us see you in your Kaiba Corp Jacket.”

“Oh, okay…” I said sarcastically. “A pair of jackets or pants are just going to come out of nowhere for us then?”

“I happen to know a place.” Atticus said lightly.

“Where would that be?” Seto said bored.          

His reply was, “You have cash?”

 This was awarded with a nod.

“Great—I’ve got a ride.”

****************************************

Roran began to stir lightly. Breanna and Yugi were sitting on the opposite sides of the clearing—lost in their own thoughts.

Yugi was disturbed from his thoughts when he heard the scuffle of shoes. “Roran—do you hear it?”

“Yes,”

“Think its Hope?” Breanna said standing up next to the jeep.     

“Maybe—” He said and the wind drifted by his hair and made a few blonde strands start to drift in front of his face, “I can’t tell—the winds drifting everything towards them—if anything they can smell us.”

He paused seeing them approach the edge of the clearing. Hope was covered in blood and as was Kaiba, Yugi and Roran stood quickly, approaching them.

***************************************

[Hope’s point of view]

       “What happened?” Breanna demanded to know.

“He was bitten by a Shadow Wolf.” I answered. Yugi stared confused at me and then his eyes fell on the bloodstains on his jacket and then mine. Roran—like me could smell Kaiba’s blood, my blood and the dark aura that had filled Seto earlier that was now diminished. Roran—in seconds—had put the pieces of the past half hour together in his mind. He knew what happened.

"He alright?" Roran questioned.

I gave a nod, "Yes, but he's going to need to get used to controlling his new abilities."

“He can shapeshift now too can’t he?” Roran asked cautiously. His eyes meeting mine. I didn’t answer.              

Breanna spoke up, “So is he—”   

“Yes.” Seto said and Breanna’s eyes grew wide.

“Cool!” She said easily accepting it—baffled and amazed by this new discovery.

"Hardly," Seto growled, “There’s nothing fascinating about this,” His growl was dark and inhuman, causing Breanna to raise her brow, “I almost killed her.” His flicked to me, obviously upset.

“Yet you didn’t,” I pointed out, “And that’s what matters." He didn't respond to that.

********************************************************************

We had decided to camp there for the night. Atticus’ jeep had a few large, blue tarps in them that we had hooked up as tents by draping them across the branches of the trees.

I sat on one of the branches higher than the tents by a couple of yards as I leaned up against the tree. I heard Seto complaining as he tried to climb up the tree and he fell harshly on his butt.

I gave a small laugh, “Having troubles Seto?”

“I can’t believe we’re actually sleeping out here.” He grumbled to where he thought I couldn’t hear him.

“We are—thought this might be a bit of a problem for you.” I replied, watching him, knowing he was still upset about earlier.

“I forgot that you can hear me.” He said, gloomily.            

“Well maybe you won’t once this is over with,” I replied with a smirk.

His eyes narrowed, trying to tie the tarp over the branch of the tree.

“You do realize that you’re tying that on wrong don’t you?” I asked with a smile, watching him tie it. If the slightest wind came through it would knock the whole thing down.

“How do you know so much about these things?” He asked in annoyance.

I spoke truthfully, enjoying every moment of this, “I know it may be hard for you believe, but I did have a life before I met you. We go camping every year. Last summer before I ended up in Battle City I went camping in a national park. My dad forgot the tents so we used tarps once.”

“So you know how to do this then?” He said suggesting that I help him do it.

I jumped onto a lower branch than was I was sitting on and then I jumped down and landed next to Seto. Grabbing his jacket, I pulled him towards me and kissed him on the cheek gently. He kissed back and it was on the neck. I leaned against him and our lips met, the tarp temporarily forgotten.

We ignored all sounds and only concentrated on our low whispers.

“I want to stay with you Seto,” I said pleadingly

“You already know my answer.” He said as his arms wrapped around my waist.

“We’ll save Mocuba and I need to make sure Breanna gets home safe.” I said. He pulled back from me. He stared at me confused. He didn’t pull away though, his arms were still wrapped around my waist.

“I thought you wanted to go back and live a normal life.”

“Breanna needs to go back to a normal life more than I do.” I replied. As he stared at me—it was then I realized he wanted me to live a normal life. I wrapped my arms around his neck as I leaned against him, grateful to have someone like him.

Suddenly I heard the footsteps that had suddenly seemed so far away come right up on us.

Yugi, Joey, Taiya, Tristan, Roran, Atticus and Breanna had been talking.

“How do you plan on getting food, I have to go into town!” Atticus said in annoyance.

“You think that I can’t fish don’t you Atti!?” She replied. Suddenly she stopped and she saw us leaning against each other. I blushed in embarrassment.

“Oh sorry Hope.” She said.

“It’s okay.” I said, letting his hands fall from around my waist. “You were just helping me put up the tarp weren’t you?”

Seto didn’t answer and it didn’t help the story when side Seto had been trying to tie slid off the top and landed next to us. It just showed that we weren’t really doing a good job.

Trying to avoid the awkwardness I spoke, “What do you mean you’re going fishing?”

She brightened a little. “Yep! I’m going fishing!!!” Seto stared stunned at her as she threw a pole up in the air and across her shoulders like shouldering a rifle.

Seto stared at Breanna un-amused, “She shares a lot of enthusiasm doesn’t she?” She had also stolen a large straw hat out of Atticus’ jeep.

“Yeah—you’ll never stop noticing it—trust me.” I said with a small smile.             

She was so enthused about it she spoke, “Yep—I’m going to catch the biggest fish here!” She turned and skipped away. Taiya laughed and followed her being trailed after by Tristan, and Joey—both eager for someone to get them food. Yugi laughed and followed them.

Roran shook his head, “I hope she realizes she’ll have to kill the fish so we can eat it. She seems like the type who would want to keep it as a pet.” He smirked, watching her leave.

“Are you sure she doesn’t need help fishing? You have done this before.” Seto suggested, glancing at me from the corner of his dazzling eyes. He smirked at me.

Roran was the only one besides Atticus who hadn’t left with Breanna yet—Roran spoke up this time. “That’s okay, I’ve got her back—you two go into Laval.”

“Two?” That’s all I could ask. Atticus gave me a small smile and took his car keys out of his jacket.

“You need to blend in remember? You two are the ones that stick out the most here.” He said with a smile, as we noted we looked like we had been through a battlefield. “Let’s go.” Seto gave him a narrow look.

“You do realize I need to come too;” He said. For some reason those two had a strange chemistry about them—like they each had a born desire to kill each other. But then again—the first time Atticus had ever saw Seto Kaiba was when he had shape-shifted and had tried to kill people. I wasn’t too surprised that Atticus didn’t trust him.

“Sure mate.” Atticus said, taking this blow lightly. “I’ll drive.”

*********************************************************

“I hate to be the one to point this out—” I began once we were in the jeep. I had jumped in the back and was holding onto the backs of their seats. “But where exactly in this town are we going to find a place that actually sells clothes that isn’t being robbed every night?”

Atticus’ eyes didn’t leave the road. “We’re not going to Strauss. It’s the small town of Laval. I’m sure you remember me mentioning it before since its where I live.”

“Nope, sorry—in all of the gunfire I forgot the last few sentences you told me.’” I answered truthfully.

“So I’m guessing you guys were looking for everyone. Who was it that got separated from you and Yugi?” Seto asked.

“Well, there were Tristan, Joey, and Taiya, and Seto's brother. That’s not including you.” I said and added, "Atticus how are we getting to the island?”

“There’s a ferry that takes vehicles and people from Strauss to Laval. That’s how we are getting there.”

“So you’re taking us there without telling the others.” Seto pointed out.

“No, I told Roran and Breanna. They told the others. Oh yeah—Breanna wants you to get her something and says it the least you could do since she’s going to catch the world’s biggest fish.” He said to me.

The thought of fish made my stomach begin to unsettle. “Normally I wouldn’t ask, but…can we buy dinner? I really don’t like seafood.” I asked hopefully.    

Kaiba chuckled, “I think that can be arranged.”

“Plus I don’t think your mate can catch one fish to feed nine hungry people.” Atticus said with a smile.

So we had taken the ferry over to Laval. I leaned against the ship as I watched the town of Strauss disappear. Seto waited beside me, his Kaiba Corp jacket slung around his arm to not be noticed. He had rolled up his sleeves on his black turtleneck because of the heat. Atticus was leaning against the railing and said it would at least be a half hour cruise to Laval.

In the beginning we didn’t speak at all. It could have been a nice and peaceful trip—except I learned a disturbing fact on this trip. I was vulnerable to the ship. I started to feel nauseated slowly and then Seto stared at me worriedly.

“Are you okay?” He asked>

I began to start to say I’d be fine but then a huge wave splashed the side of the ferry, “I think I’m going to be sick,” I turned and stumbled away as Atticus was almost ran over as he pointed in the direction of the bathroom.

“Do you want me to come!?” Seto said worriedly. The thought of him watching me while I retched my guts out didn’t seem in the greatest interest from my point of view. Then again if Seto thought about it long enough—I’m sure it wouldn’t have been in his best interest either.

“Not really!” I managed to blurt out in between holding my stomach—praying it wouldn’t happen right there. It didn’t thankfully and I continued running towards the ladies’ restroom.

I stayed in the bathroom for about twenty minutes. My head swayed and I had sweat running down my forehead. The bathroom smelt like some strong sort of cleaner and it wasn’t helping my stomach at all. I saw a half of an empty container of mouthwash lying conveniently against the sink and I used it gratefully. My body swayed as the ship rocked and my stomach was so empty I didn’t need to make another trip to the toilet.

After all I’ve been through; seasickness is what stops me in my tracks!? I couldn’t believe what I was thinking it and yet I’m sure this would surprise anyone to know—seeing as how I live in Michigan that had the worlds biggest fresh water lakes—that I’ve never everbeen on a large boat before. I had been on a small pontoon boat a couple of times and I was fine on that. Maybe it was just because the boat was smaller it didn’t bother me, or either that being on a ship combined with the fact I had been fighting so much lately was getting to my nerves.

I took a small glass of water and drank to settle my stomach and knowing based on the fact this was the first ferry boat I’ve ever been on before—I was counting on it being my last.

I stumbled out of the bathroom and walked around the corner. I walked along the edge of the balcony smacked right into some guy.

“Sorry,” I tried to avoid him by leaning against the balcony and letting him squeeze past me, not paying much attention to what he looked like. Then ship swayed, rocking everything and some of the people even screamed as the waves slammed against the ship. I heard a glass sitting on the middle of a table in another room drop and shatter from the force of the wave. I felt I was going to lose it—again. My exhaustion from getting sick before was consuming and I started to faint right there.

The safety railing broke, and I fell off the side as I went overboard. The waves crashed as I fell, hearing someone shout as the waves closed over me.

I began to breath in water and I choked, coughing only to inhale more water. I began to panic, I was able to swim but the waves were strong. The ship was close, and if I could get ahold of it, maybe I could climb back up. Before I could turn, the side of the ship slammed against me, my head cracking against it.

The water around me became black and clouded as my vision faded.

Faintly, I felt something grab my waist. I wanted to protest, afraid it was a creature who was trying to pull me further into the depths but I was too weak to protest.

After a moment, I was above water, coughing and gasping for air, realizing it was someone grabbing me to save me. It had to have been Seto. I coughed as the water sputtered out of me, leaning into his chest, my eyes tightly closed.

As my eyes opened my vision blurred and I caught sight of black hair with yellow spikes.

“Yugi?” I questioned. What was he doing here? He was supposed to be at camp, what made him decide to come along?

“Are you okay?” A strangers voice said…his words muffled and my sight still blurred from almost losing consciousness. I started to slip from his grasp, water filling my ears. In alarm he pulled me above again. It was the guy that I had smacked into earlier. He was different from Yugi once I had focused my gaze, he seemed a bit older, and he had blue eyes, not violet.

It wasn’t until I had started to slip under the waves again was when I realized he was holding me up above the water.

He had black spiked hair and a large yellow tattoo running down the side of his face—reminding me of a wing of a bird, a strip of yellow tattooed down the left side of his face, with a small triangle attached to it. He had yellow highlights in his hair strangely resembling Yugi.

His one arm wrapped around me tighlty, holding me close to his black t-shirt with a red symbol on it. At first his appearance was so close to Yugi’s I would have sworn it was him—except his eyes. I knew if Breanna was in the room with me right now she’d claim him as hers as soon as she looked at how well built and attractive he was.

"Hey, are you okay?" He repeated again.               

“I think so—” I coughed—barely unbelievable to what was going on. He propelled me to the ship—which thankfully had stopped so we could get back on instead of being stranded.

“I don’t think so—you look paler than a ghost. You looked like that even before you went off the edge.” He said taking me towards the ladder they had thrown along the side of the ship—a deckhand securing it so we could get on safely.

We climbed back on and I dragged myself back onto the ship. The ladder was in the exact same spot where the railing had broke and I had fallen off the edge. He pulled himself next to me, breathing heavily. He grabbed his blue jacket and started to wrap it around me.

“Thanks—but you don’t have to.”

“It’s okay—just wear it and get warm.”

“But you’re just as cold as I am.” I retorted, he was shivering as I spoke. I saw his brown gloved hands grab a small leather pouch laying on the deck of the ship. I saw duel monsters cards in it he tucked it away. Also his right arm had a red tattoo, shaped like a face of a dragon. I didn’t say anything, he had already seen I had my duel monsters cards as well—right now I was grateful that Seto had them all waterproofed and the duel disk was guaranteed to never wear down because of water or weather. Thankfully for that I guess.

He stared at me and my bloodstained clothes, then looked to the jacket he had just sacrificed. “Yeah well you look like you need it more.” He stood up and offered me his hand I took it and stood up shakily. His red tattoo began to glow as our hands linked.

My eyes widened, the red tattoo catching not only my attention, but Entrez’s as well. There was a spark of knowledge that couldn’t be explained that jumped between us, and both of our eyes widened, as if we were seeing the other person for the first time.

It was weird, as if both of us knew that the other had a different destination, but a similar journey. I had never felt it before it was a keen sense that ran as deep as my blood that knew he had a greater purpose in this world—like me.

Wearily he glanced at me with his blue eyes—, with the bloodstained clothes, it was obvious that I had been in a fight. We both stared at each other awkwardly as soon as we both knew that something wasn't right about the other.

           I appreciated him saving my tail, “Well thanks Mr.—um…”

          “Fudo, Yusei Fudo.” He said staring at me. “Who are you?”

               “Hope Young,” I said and then I seen Kaiba run up from behind.

Yusei stared at me worriedly as Seto approached me.

“Are you alright, they had told me someone had fallen, I wondered if it was you.” Kaiba glanced in between me and Yusei, and in annoyance, Kaiba grabbed Yusei’s jacket and tossed it to him as he grabbed his own jacket and wrapped it around me.

“Are you okay?” He asked again. I gave a small weak laugh.

“What—is that the question of the day?” I said with a small smile and I leaned against him hugging him tightly. “I’m okay, now that you’re here,” I smiled, a little grateful he was next to me so I could talk to this stranger without feeling so awkward.Yusei saw the initials KC on the jacket but made no move to say anything. I was grateful for that as well.

“Well—thank you Yusei. I think I owe you my life.” I said with realization.

“Don’t worry about it,” he said. “You would have done the exact same thing.”

I surprised Yusei by agreeing, “Yeah, you’re right—I probably would have. But still just the fact you did it makes me very thankful. If you ever need anything—” The ship speakers blared loudly then interrupting us.

“We have reached our destination of Laval Island—everyone please head carefully off the ship. We hope you enjoyed the journey.”

I scoffed. Sure I enjoyed the journey, I fell off the freakin’ boat.     

Yusei then looked at us, “Well maybe I’ll see you again—Hope Young. Kaiba,” He nodded and then turned and walked towards the entrance to Laval.

“Thanks, I hope to see you again too,” I said to him as Atticus walked up. “He doesn’t seem like the type to tell the world about us being here.”

I muttered as I took Kaiba’s jacket for a moment, handing it back to him as I began to wring out my hair which was now soaked.

“Got that right,” Atticus said as he glanced at Yusei that was getting off the ferry.

He walked over to a nice red motorcycle that was sitting on the edge.

Entrez stirred inside of me, as she watched him. He is a duelist, she reasoned, and you saw the tattoo on his arm glow. He is not a normal duelist and we need all the help we can get.

Are you suggesting I bring him into this? I asked her, eyes widening as I stared at him, his back to us. What if he get’s killed?

You can’t possibly think we can tend to the Shadow Monsters all on our own. Entrez reasoned, Plus you saw that mark on his arm, he can handle it. Now go ask him before I make you. I don’t care if you offer him payment, or whatever means you think will convince him to follow us. There’s something about him…and I know he can help us.

I headed towards Yusei, “Hey, Yusei,” I shouted. He had sat down on the bike and turned to look at me, curiousity showing on his face.

“Have you ever heard of the Shadow Realm?” I asked and I saw his body stiffen, as he looked away in answer.

“Guessing from your response, I’ll take that as a yes,” Seto said, giving me a look, wondering why we were talking to him again.

“….what about it?” Yusei finally said, gazing at me with his blue eyes.

“Well, I know this may be hard to believe, but lots of good people have been attacked.”

“By wolves right?” He said and my eyes widened, so he knew about the Shadow creatures.

“I had to deal with a pack of them on my way in, I think they’re part of the reason I ended up here. Now this may be hard to believe, but I’m not exactly from around here….”

“Ok we don’t need to hear your whole life story.” Seto said bored, looking at me, “Can you tell me exactly what the point is with talking to this guy?”

I ignored Seto, “So you know how to handle them, and you’ve had experience with the Shadow Realm?”

After a pause he set his helmet aside, realizing this conversation was going to be a lot longer than he had anticipated, “Yes,”

“Then will you help us?” I said, making Seto’s eyes widen again. Atticus shot me a look.

“Mate, I hate to break this to you, but he did just save your life, don’t you think it’s a little bold to be asking that?” Atticus drawled.

I nodded, looking at Yusei, “Yes, and I’m sorry, I know it’s rude to ask, but I have a feeling that you’re supposed to help us somehow.”

“Actually,” He said with a small smile, “I’m glad you’ve got the guts to ask. I wanted to take care of their little wolf problem, and maybe paired together we can do so. I was just on my way into Laval to pick up some cards. Everywhere else in town has been raided.”

I saw Seto glare, “Paired together?” He snapped, “I don’t think so, we can handle this situation without this loser’s help.” He growled taking my arm. “Come on Hope, let’s get out of here.”

“No Seto,” I retorted, causing him to pause and glare down at me, “Listen, he just saved my life, I trust him, don’t you trust me?”           

He glared at me in response, crossing his arms. Obviously not pleased.

Still altogether, we left the ferry and drove to down town Laval. I could only hope that Entrez was right, and Yusei would be able to help us.

********************************************************

[Third person perspective] 

Breanna laughed and held the fishing pole out on the water.

Everyone was relaxed for the moment—Yugi and Taiya were sitting down leaning against different trees diagonal from Breanna. Tristan and Joey had easily left their troubles behind them as they had stretched out on the shore and were dozing. Roran wasn’t so ignorant. He was relaxed but most of his senses were alert. He had easily shape-shifted into his fox form and was watching her, laying across the the branch of a tree that Yugi was sitting under.

“This actually would be a nice vacation place you know,” Joey said.

“If we weren’t looking for Mocuba.” Roran said, raising his head to state the obvious. He flicked his tail to show his agitation.

Taiya’s eyes lowered, “I hope he’s okay.”

Breanna was sitting on the shore listening. “Yeah, me too, I didn’t know Mocha for very long, but I still hope he’s okay. He seemed nice enough. He really was close to Kaiba wasn’t he?”

“Yeah,” Yugi answered,

Tristan said, “They were brothers, I guess they were raised in an orphanage, Kaiba was always sticking up for him—”

Breanna’s eyes widened. “Oh my gosh—I got something—get over here!” She was pulling tightly on the pole trying to reel it in.

“Roran get over here!” She shouted as the pole began to splinter in protest.

He took the pole from her and heaved. A large shopping cart was dragged out of the water. Breanna laughed.

“Oh crap, I was hoping it was a fish!” She said unwrapping the line from the cart.

“Well you sort of did get a fish!” Joey said and pulled a salmon out of the cart. It was about a yard long not including the tail.

It slapped him in the face and slammed back into the water.

“DAMMIT JOEY!!” Breanna shouted. “That was a good one!”

“It was a fighter.” Tristan said with a laugh, “Joey didn’t stand a chance!”

“Yeah you’re right he didn’t—” Breanna slapped him on the back of the head.

The others were laughing now, including Joey. The fish was well gone now and swam away gratefully in the water.

  **************************************************

We went to the store called Zone; it had gaming supplies and clothes. Kaiba and Atticus still weren’t very pleased I invited Yusei on our mission.

“So how did you end up in the little town of Strauss?” I asked curiously, to Yusei. He looked at a stack of cards laying behind a counter.

“Well, I was out driving on my duel runner, then this light appeared and suddenly I was in the woods, surrounded by those wolves.”

“That’s ridiculous,” Seto claimed, annoyed I was buying into this story. I wasn’t buying into it, but I was keeping an open mind.

“What’s a duel runner?” I asked and looked to Kaiba, who looked uncertain himself.

“It’s a motorcycle we use for turbo-dueling.” Yusei said and made Seto’s eyes widen.

“That’s insane, you couldn’t drive a bike and duel at the same time.” Seto stated and Yusei looked at him with a shake of his head.

“Well, this is crazy, but I’m actually from the future, I believe Kaiba Corp was the first to begin making duel runners, they have them set on autopilot for dueling.”

“Unbelievable, I’ll believe it when I see it.” Seto said and Yusei smiled.

“To be fair, you’ve already seen it. That was the bike I had on the ferry,” Yusei said and Seto’s eyes flicked to the window. The very bike that was sitting outside of the store.

“Whatever,” Seto Kaiba said and headed over to the men’s department. “I can’t handle this loser’s rantings anymore, don’t expect me to believe a word of it.”

Not even five minutes later I found him outside, staring at Yusei’s bike and crouched down.

I smiled nudging Yusei, who had just purchased some new cards. “For somebody who doesn’t believe you’re from the future he’s sure giving your bike an examination.”

Yusei tucked his cards into his deck, anxiously looking to his Duel Runner outside. He appeared to be relieved when he saw Kaiba wasn’t messing with it too much. “Well, that’s good enough evidence for me that he believes.”

“Yep,” I agreed, “Though you’d never be able to get him to admit to it.”

“Is he so always…uh—” He shut his mouth trying not to seem rude.

“Full of himself?” I finished his sentence with a grin. “Yea that’s Seto for you.”

“You two, are a couple right?” He asked cautiously, when he found me staring at Seto, who was examining the motor.

“I remember when I was reading up on Kaiba Corporation online, since they’re one of the top dueling companies, only his brother or people close to him could call him that.”

“Yea,” I answered, “That's true,”

“You two…seem good for each other.” Yusei commented, “Or at least you seem good for him.”

“Thanks.” I said with a smile.

Kaiba was paying everything in cash. I wasn’t too picky—I noticed Seto wasn’t really either, he grabbed a black turtle neck, and called it good. He wasn’t willing to trade in his Kaiba Corp Jacket so he paid someone to tear out the stitching that had KC on it and paid even more for that person not to bring it up to anyone that he was ever there.

“You know,” I commented, “I hope you realize you still stick out like a sore thumb. You think people aren’t going to notice you just because you got less blood on your clothes and you got some stitching taken off your jacket? And I thought you were smart Seto.” I gave him a grin as he looked at me in annoyance as he chucked his jacket in the jeep, purchasing a grey turtle-neck, jeans, and a black leather jacket instead.

He looked good. I found myself blushing fiercely as he looked away annoyed, “I look like an idiot.” He stated, quite frustrated by his ‘normal’ looking appearance.

“Are you kidding Seto? You look great.” I said with a smile and his face reddened, turning away. “Why don’t you hurry up with shopping?” He said, shooing me away. “I don’t want to be in here all day.”

I was totally happy with my KC jacket so I had tossed it in Atticus’s jeep as well. I grabbed a blue zip up jacket with a red shirt underneath it.

To be honest I never liked shopping for clothes I found it annoying and irritating in every way since there were so many things to choose from. I picked out a pair of light blue jeans and brown sturdy leather boots that I knew I would need. I went to the fitting room to try everything on to see if it would fit.

*********************************************

Yusei, Atticus and Seto were on the other side of the store and Atticus was sharing a harsh argument about earlier. They were both speaking in normal tones, but you could sense the agitation in both of them.

Seto stated “I can’t believe you paid for us to sail on that dump. If Hope wasn’t stronger she would have easily been hurt.”

“Oh so you are worried about her then?” Atticus hastily replied, “This is coming from the man that could have killed her—that’s great to be getting advice from you.”

Yusei hadn’t been paying attention until that moment, his blue eyes flicked to Seto’s in uncertainty, wondering what they were talking about.

“I don’t remember anything and I snapped out of it!” He said in a slightly angrier tone.

“So what—if you would have killed her it would have been okay?”

Kaiba snapped, on the verge of punching him in the face, “Don’t you dare turn this around on me; She could have died on that ship if it wasn’t for someone getting her back on the ship.”

“You’re welcome,” Yusei stated.

“Shut up.” Seto growled.

“Don’t take any of this as a compliment—”

“Yeah mate—just go ahead and let the ‘guy from the future’ save her,” Atticus said.

Kaiba looked at him annoyed, “I am not your mate, that’s for damn sure.”

Yusei’s gaze shifted to another part of the store. “She’s coming, so if you two plan to keep on bickering—I hope you have an explanation” He said and Atticus stopped talking and they both watched her approach.

She looked a lot better when she was wearing different clothes; Seto noted—her body didn’t look so worn down and exhausted from the previous events of that day.

“I like these,” She said staring at them with her sapphire blue eyes, “But all together they’re too much.”

“Too much—what do you mean?” Seto said confused.

Atticus rolled his eyes, “She means they’re expensive.” Seto understood now—that she thought they were expensive.

“Don’t worry about it.” Seto said in surprise. She stared at him.

“Well I don’t want us to waste all of your cash just because I need clothes so I don’t stick out.”

“You need them so you don’t stick out—how many people do you want knowing you’re here?” Yusei stated.

Hope thought this over carefully looking to Atticus and Yusei, “Yeah I guess you’re right. What’d did you guys get here?”

“I just picked up some cards,” Yusei replied.

“I didn’t get anything here;” Atticus said, “I blend in, unlike you two.”

“So are you referring to the wolf thing or the rich thing?” Kaiba asked interested. Hope frowned.

“Actually both mate,” Atticus stated.

Yusei looked at Hope quizzingly. “Wolf thing?”

Her face flushed, “That’s an explanation for another time.”

Atticus shrugged interrupting her, “I won’t argue she looks better, mate. But as for you, you still look like something the dog dragged in.”

Kaiba gritted his teeth. “And who would know better what that looked like?” He snapped.

“Hey you guys…stop fighting.” Hope said. “I just want you two to actually get along for five freakin’ minutes. And Atticus,” She stared at him, “I don’t care if you know what we are or not. You can choose to stay or to go—no one is making you stay and we aren’t paying you to do any mechanical work. You seem like a nice guy, but by staying that means you don’t care that you know what we are—got it?” Her gaze hardened, staring at him wearily.

“I got it, mate,” he said in irritation, “but I’m still staying, its good entertainment to stay with you guys and plus I’m sure I left about half of the stuff from my jeep at camp and Breanna still has my good fishing pole.”

“Oh yeah,” She said thoughtfully, “Thanks for reminding me. I need to get her something too, be right back.”

“What’s this about knowing what you guys are? I think I’m confused,” Yusei admitted but no one paid much attention to him as Hope took off.

“I wondered why you stay and now I know,” Kaiba said interested in Atticus. “You like her don’t you? I’ve got news for you and it’s that you better back off. The world will go to the dogs before you lay your hands on her.”

Atticus smiled, “Interesting choice of words mate—isn’t the world already gone to the wolves?”

Seto was considering punching him, but Hope came back too soon and they left.

*********************************************************

Breanna and Joey had thrown the tarp back up again with Roran’s help. They had unfolded it and Roran had drifted it over the branch and left it there while they tied it down. The area they had hung it up was hilly and well branched out.

“Are you sure they said they were coming back?” Tristan asked Yugi. Breanna agreed with him.

“Yeah—are they coming back? I’m hungry;” She stated.

“Sorry about losing the fish guys—now we’re going to starve!” Joey said and Breanna cried out.

“Yeah it’s his fault!” Breanna wailed. “If we have to become cannibals I vote Joey goes first!” She volunteered.

Roran was securing one of the ties on the tarp as he spoke, “Don’t worry about it Wheeler, I can hear them—they’re on their way.”

“So we won’t starve.”

Yugi laughed and Taiya put her hand on her chin thoughtfully.

“I hope they brought food and supplies.” She said.

“I’m certain they did.”

Tristan said, “Hope would make them go back even if it made them take another ferry boat if they forgot.”

Roran raised his gaze when he also heard the engine of a motorcycle. They pulled up in the jeep and parked it as Atticus turned off the engine. Hope stepped out, already have changed into her new clothes while Breanna tackled her into a hug.   

A red motorcycle pulled up, driven by a person Roran had never seen before. Who is this guy? He wondered curiously.

********************************************

[Hope's perspective]   

“Oh thank god—YOU BROUGHT FOOD!!!!!” She said happily. I gave a small laugh. She pulled back from me admiring my new outfit. I knew her, she’d have preferred pinks and whites to have dressed me up in, but she knew that wasn’t my style.

As if reading my mind she stated, “Hm…it looks good on you, but it’s not my style.”

“You were always the fashionable one,” I smiled. “How did fishing go?”

“Horrible—Joey caught one and then he let go!” She sniffed. Atticus stared walking up behind me and held out his hand.

“Speaking of which…” He began

“Oh yeah—” Breanna remembered and then handed him the splintered fishing pole.

“What!? I paid a lot of money for this!” Atticus said staring at the pole.

“Sorry—it couldn’t withstand pulling a shopping cart out of the stream.” Roran said with a smug smile.

“At least the hat’s okay!” She said and placed it on his head as he glowered down at her.

“Are you kidding—I don’t even like the hat! I don’t even know how you got it out of my jeep."

“So what was it you said that was making you stay earlier,” Seto asked and then quoted, “Oh yeah, it was ‘I’m still staying, its good entertainment;’ Now what are you thinking?” He said with a chuckle.

Roran stepped forward, looking at the newest person in their group curiously, “Who are you?”

Yusei took off his red helmet and looked at him, “My name’s Yusei Fudo,” He glanced at the others, his eyes falling on Yugi, “You didn’t tell me you were friends with the King of Games?” He said to me.              

“You didn’t ask.” I retorted.      

I saw Breanna’s eyes widen with interest as she watched Yusei carefully, noticing how close he looked to Yugi.

   "So what have you been up to?" Yusei asked Yugi in question, apparently the two already acquainted.          

“Oh you know, the usual, saving the world from evil,” Taiya said, looking at Yugi curiously.     

“Do you know this guy?” I asked Yugi, “I asked for his help,” I admitted, “He has experience with the Shadow Wolves,”

“Yeah,” Yugi admitted, “He's helped me out a while ago, you ended up back in time again?”

Yusei nodded.

Seto Kaiba rolled his eyes obviously annoyed, “Whatever,”

“Well looks like we’ll be fighting on the same side, that’s probably the best news we’ve had all day.” Roran said and walked up to Yusei, offering him his hand.

Yusei shook it, “Yusei Fudo,”

“Roran Akeno, welcome to hell.” He said and gave Yusei a fanged smile, making Yusei a bit uneasy.

“Oh please!” Breanna said shoving Roran playfully, “Its not hell, he’s just kidding you. My names Breanna.”

Roran smiled cockily, “She’s the one that administers the hell!”

Breanna’s eyes narrowed, “What did you just say!?” She slapped him playfully on the shoulder, making Roran shout.

Yusei smirked, turning to the others, “So you’re friends of Yugi’s?”

“Yep, my names Taiya.”

“Tristan, and this fool here is Joey.”

“Hey!!” Joey said raising a fist to Tristan, “You wanna go!?”

“Sure let’s go! A sandwich says I can take you!”

“You don’t even have a sandwich!”

“Sure I do—its called a knuckle sand—”

I sighed, “Okay everybody shut up!” They turned to me, “I’ve got something to make you guys happy again.” I dangled the box of food in their faces, causing their eyes to spark with joy.

I tossed Breanna a box of food. “I hope you like take out.” Breanna grabbed it and smelled the rice.

“Oooh…what kind?”

She asked.

“I think yours is salmon—all of them have dumplings,” I said and I grabbed the others and tossed them to everybody else.

“All right!” Joey cheered.

“What about supplies?” Yugi asked later when we were inside the larger tarp—the smaller one was for Breanna, Taiya and me, but we would all eat in the big one.

“Oh don’t worry mate—I have a whole bunch of sleeping bags that we bought once we were in a supplies store—even bought an extra for Yusei and your friend—” I glanced at Seto—noticing he was being distant—thinking of Mocuba as Atticus continued on, “—and we stocked the jeep with a little bit of canned food—at least for another couple days.”

“What about a can opener?” Roran asked. Atticus swore ready to go jump in the creek.

“Great,” I said sarcastically, “Now we’re all going to starve—because we won’t be able to get the can open;”

Joey spoke with a mouthful of dumplings so his speech was impaired and muffled, “I think one of us ‘as a ‘an opener—I do.”

He leaned back over the box of dumplings and his face was lost in them. Well at least we didn’t starve then. I stared in disgust as Joey inhaled his food like he was in an eating competition.

“Ugh—Joey—chew with your mouth closed!” I said and buried his head in the box. His arms started to flail as he was trying to stop me from stuffing his head from the box. I let my hand go with a laugh, Breanna and Taiya let out a small laugh too.

I grabbed the chopsticks and was using it to stab the dumplings with them like a tooth pick—I hadn’t bothered to eat the rice yet—since I couldn’t even figure out how to use the damn chopsticks. Yusei quickly noticed.

“What—you don’t know to use chopsticks?”

I gave a laugh of embarrassment, “Um, maybe…” Then I saw Breanna using them like a pro, “Hey no fair! You came from the same place I did—when did you learn!?”

“I got bored during the summer so I watched it on TV and figured it out.” She said with a small laugh, “Sorry—looks like you’re alone on this one!”

“I’ll teach you mate,” Atticus stated.

“Oh okay, how do you it?” I said and then I watched him grab a single piece of rice perfectly with his chopsticks.

“You see my hands?” He asked and I quickly nodded, “Good now you try,”

I fiddled with the long chopsticks and grabbed a dumpling with my hand.

“I got it!!” I said with a laugh. Then my fingers slipped and the dumpling decided to shoot out of the chopsticks. It shot Seto in between the eyes. He appeared shocked—it slid off his forehead and slapped onto the ground we were all sitting on.

“Hope—you really suck at this,” Seto said and was unable to keep a straight face. He let out a small smirk, actually finding his own humiliation a bit amusing. Everyone else was laughing already.

Finally we had all quieted down, “Now—out of plain curiosity—” Yusei began, “How did this all start, no one’s really told me anything. I deserve an explanation if I'm going to help you.”

Breanna’s eyes widened, “Oh yes please—tell me again!”

I gave a small smile, “Okay—it won’t hurt.” So I told the story over again and I led it all the way up to this point in time.

“So you have the spirit of a wolf inside of you?” Yusei asked, looking at me with curiosity.

“Yes, and he’s got a fox inside his, and Seto is the only one that changed by being bitten, so he doesn’t.” I said and Seto Kaiba looked at me, with what appeared to be regret on his face. He then stood and left, heading outside. I frowned, wondering if I offended him.

Atticus was listening thoughtfully, “What I don’t understand—” He began, “Is what happened to that tattoo of wings that was on your back.”

“That’s a good question,” I said thoughtfully. What I didn’t notice was Roran glancing away wearily; as if he knew something that he wasn’t willing to share. Breanna noticed it—but she said nothing.

*************************************************************************

I wandered over to where Seto was, sitting behind a tree, counting out his cards.

“Hey stranger,” I said with a small smile and sat down next to him, listening to the chirping crickets around us.

He was silent, studying the cards and strategizing, I believe.

“I’m sorry if you’re insulted I brought along Yusei.” I said, looking at him trying to watch his reaction.

His blue gaze fell on me. “I still can’t believe you expect him and the geek squad to help us. If they weren’t here, we might have found Mocuba already.”

“Yes and we might all be dead already. I don’t like admitting I need help anymore than you do.” I said sternly, “But I’ve learned that sometimes you need all of the help that you can get.”

“So that ridiculous invite you sent him was purely because you needed the help? Not because he didn’t try to kill you earlier today.”

So he was still upset about earlier.

“Entrez told me to do it?”

“So you think it’s okay just because the voice inside your head told you to?” He said blandly, causing me to raise my brow.

“Entrez has helped me out a lot, and as far as I’m concerned I think you’ll manage to control your darker side. You’re Seto Kaiba after all.” He was just flustered about his brother, not knowing where he was. He figured he was at least still alive, since it was obvious bait to lure us to her. I wondered what would be waiting for us when we’d get there.

And on top of all that he had a very jealous protective side, he worried I was going to leave him. Trying to make him feel better, I locked Seto’s lips with mine, he was surprised, looking at me with curiosity as I tapped him on the nose.

“Jez Seto,” I grinned, “Sometimes you can be so…human. Don’t worry about Yusei, I’m sure that he’s great, but I think I prefer the guy I saved in the alley.”

He smirked, and without thinking about it scratched his neck. His gaze caught mine, as I found myself staring. I couldn’t see it through the thin material, but I knew his scar was there.

“Seto…how did that happen?” I asked quietly. “I get it if you don’t tell me, but I want to understand, there’s still so much I don’t know about you.” The others were far away enough, so they wouldn’t be able to catch our conversation.

“I don’t know much about you myself.” He admitted, “Although you probably know more about me than anyone here.”

I gave a half smile, “I was just about to say the same thing to you, Seto.”

He gave a grave chuckle, leaning back against the trunk of the tree. “It began after I was first adopted by Gozaburo Kaiba. He never did care for me, I had challenged him, and beat the fool.”

I remembered, he had been at the orphanage with Mocuba, and all the time someone either wanted to adopt just him or just Mocuba, but they were a package deal, so no one bothered to adopt them. Gozaburo was a wealthy businessman involved in weaponry, but he visited places on occasion so he would receive good publicity. That day he had decided to visit an orphanage, where little Seto had challenged him to a game of chess, and if he won, Gozaburo would have to adopt him and Mocuba. Gozaburo didn’t back down, because Seto threatened to tell the press he was afraid of losing to a kid. So they had played, and obviously Seto was the victor.

“After Mocuba and I’s adoption papers were complete that he started to force me and Mocuba to buckle down, endless hours of studying, no breaks, no companions. All Mocuba and I had were each other.”

“What a jerk,” I growled, “Kids are meant to play and enjoy themselves, and grow.”

“Oh I don’t regret that he made us study.” Seto said, his gaze flicking from the stars to me, “He made me stronger in that sense. I wouldn’t be the same person today if it wasn’t for him.” Then his brows furrowed, and he frowned, “It was Gozaburo’s methods of punishment for disobedience I truly did not appreciate. Mocuba was so young, and to make him work so hard, he was pushed to his breaking point….”

Mocuba threw his book aside, tears welling in his eyes. Gozaburo was sitting in a big black leather chair, smoking a cigar.

“What’s your problem boy?” Gozaburo growled, as Seto’s eyes flicked up from the book he was reading.

Mocuba sank to the floor crying, “I can’t do it...none of this makes any sense.” He sniffed, gazing at the book that was so far beyond his level.

Gozaburo’s eyes narrowed and he grabbed him across the arm yanking him forward. “You arrogant brat! I take you in—give you a roof over your head and you’re saying “you can’t do it, HOW DARE YOU!!”

The cigarette he’s wielding quickly becomes a weapon, as he jabs it forward, aiming for Mocuba’s chest. Mocuba is flung backwards, slamming into the ground with fear. But fear is all he had, because he was unharmed.

A strangled cry escaped Seto’s lips, and he defensively grabs his neck and collarbone in defense, the heavy smell of burnt fabric and flesh now in the air.

“Don’t you ever touch Mocuba!” Seto cried out shakily, blood seeping down his expensive clothes. “I don’t care if you’re mad at him or not—it’s my doing that we’re here, so if you’re going to go after him—GO AFTER ME INSTEAD!!” Suddenly Seto’s vision blurred as he was backhanded across the face. He was too weak to even open his eyes.

“Damn right it’s your fault you’re here.” Gozaburo growled. “I won’t ever let you forget it.” Suddenly a burning sensation fills Seto’s chest, and he cried out in pain, unable to bear it as Gozaburo presses the cigar’s embers into him. He heard his brothers cries fill with protest as the burning sensation filled him once more, and he let out a scream.

Blood seeped out of the wounds, beginning to swell around the fresh holes in his shirt and spread.

“I’ll make you remember each and every moment here, Seto.” Gozaburo growled. Suddenly a knock clearly ran against the door, and he paused, regained his composer. "Now you shut your trap, don't you dare scream for help." He growled in a whisper, as Seto's eyes watered, holding back any cries as he shut his eyes in pain.

His step father looked towards the door. “What is it?” Gozaburo snapped gruffly. Beneath Seto’s closed eyelids he couldn’t see, but feel Gozaburo turn away from him.

A feminine voice called through the polished wooden door. “Sir, your 9am appointment is here.” Seto opened his eyes weakly, staring at his adopted father with absolute distaste and resentment. He looked at Mocuba who was sitting on the floor, his eyes wide with fear.

“They're early,” Gozaburo said in annoyance, adjusting his tie. He approached the door, throwing it open and slamming it behind him; leaving the two brothers alone.

“Seto!” his brother cried as Seto started to pick himself off the floor. Pain engulfed him, and his eyes rolled, the scent of burnt fabric filling his nostrils as his consciousness slipped away, only the beginning of Gozaburo's relentless attacks…

“That bastard.” I growled, “You were just a kid yourself.” This poor boy, his childhood had been yanked away, as he had to grow up so quickly, and so painfully.

Seto’s eyes wandered back to mine, and I could see the sadness behind them, as he watched my reaction. That sadness was replaced with anger, “I don’t need your pity.” He said.

“Well guess what!?” I growled, “I can’t control my emotions,” I snapped, his eyes narrowed in response, “I am only glad I wasn’t in that room when he pulled that stunt, he would have been dead in a heartbeat. Anyone who does that…” My fist clenched tightly in irritation. “They’re heartless and have no guts at all.”

Seto looked at me, “Don’t worry about it. In a way, it all worked out. Due to me and my brother's vigorious studying, we were able to overthrow his reign, and I became a leader in Kaiba Corporation."

“Still…” I replied softly, gazing at the grassy earth, “It’s just not right.”

Seto took my hand, “Like I said, it all worked out. I don’t regret being adopted by that fool, because if I hadn’t I would have never met you.” I remembered then he had been walking back to the Company when he had been cornered in the alleyway. And if he would have never been adopted, he would have never walked down that street, down that alley…and I would have never had the chance to meet him.

To save him.

I leaned against the tree, sitting alongside Seto. I nuzzled his neck affectionately, “I’m glad you’re here now.” I said softly, the exhaustion of the day getting to me as I leaned against him. We sat there in silence for a while, neither of us talking or moving, and eventually I dozed off.

 *************************************

Now Yusei's with them, will they be able to get to Mocuba  even more quickly with his help? Oh and what'd you guys think of Seto's background story? I love getting you guy's input, it inspires me to edit faster!! :P

Please vote or comment, thanks. :3

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

549 14 5
Your favorite Yugioh characters (maybe not all of them are your favorites) are suddenly transported to an arena where they have to duel one another i...
11K 298 10
(First Fanfic Haha) A new girl shows up at Domino High. After beating Yugi in a game, she starts getting targeted by a mystery boy and his company an...
3.6K 52 17
Join Yuko, a timid person who was bullied all his life on his journey to become brave, and in the end... to try to... not....bec...ome ........ o...
2.3K 34 29
Book #2 of the Love Through Time series A story frozen in time And a curse so cold and lonely Seto Kaiba always rejected the past, looking ahead and...