The Lost Son | Ferry's Tale #...

By angelapoppe

"People in this town are more bound to fairies than they want to admit..." These words have been haunting Fer... More

The stranger
Changes (part one)
Changes (part two)
The nicest son alive
The mark
Under suspicions
First time
The blurry future
The maze
The last room on the third floor
Secrets, lies, and fireflies (part one)
Secrets, lies, and fireflies (part two)
Secrets, lies, and fireflies (part three)
The house of dust
Between the lines
Missing pieces
The match
Behind closed doors
Tangled threads
The guest
Fresh snow
The lullaby
Behind the window
Peeking through
The light inside the darkness
The lake house
Issues
Signs of springs, signs of storm (part one)
Signs of spring, signs of storm (part two)
Storm clouds
On enemy field
The Spring Fling
Confessions
Until my time shall come
Love marks (part one)
Dinner with friends
Letting go
Eyes wide open
In the name of friendship
Shadow of a memory
Clashes
The disappearance of Bianca Knight
Whispers of the past
The end of spring
Residues of a heart
The good hearts of Goodharts
Noble blood touched by true love
White blood
In the shadows
The fairy hunt
Endings. Beginnings
The gifts
Farewell to home
Top 10 best moments in THE LOST SON
FAQ

Love marks (part two)

8K 777 510
By angelapoppe

The next day, at school, Ferry and Ben kept a close eye on Andrew, or whatever his name was because they now had proof that this strange boy was not the son of the Donovans. After the revelation, Ferry felt he was one step closer to discovering the mysteries around him.

But Andrew seemed only a shadow of what he had once been. He had lost a lot of weight and his face had become almost cadaverous. His black hair had lost its shiness, and even a few strands of white hair appeared. His eyes had lost their vivid, April-leaf color. His hair had grown, but it was ruffled and untidy. He had lost focus on his lessons and his grades were beginning to drop.He had moved away from everyone. Even from Billy. Now, during the break, and under the watchful eyes of Ferry and Ben, they seemed to quarrel. Billy tried to convince him of something, but Andrew stubbornly nodded. Billy tried to get closer to him, but Andrew took a few steps away. His gesture brought sadness to Billy's face. The boy tried again, but Andrew lifted the collar of his jacket to cover his face, and walked away from him. He passed by Ferry and Ben, glancing at them. Billy hurried to catch up with him, begging him to stop and listen. But Andrew continued on his way and entered the school.

"What are you two looking at?" Billy snapped as he passed by.

Ferry took Ben to a more secluded place in the schoolyard, where they could talk quietly.

"What do you think is going on with Andrew?" Ben asked, also intrigued by the transformations he had noticed in him.

"I don't know ... But it's odd."

"Alright, let's look at the facts," Ben suggested. "This is what we know so far: we know that Andrew and Mrs. Jones are fairies. We know that using fairy powers in the human world weakens a fairy. We know that they somehow managed to use the power of another fairy to survive in the human world. We also know that Andrew gave up using his fairy powers to live among humans."

"But somehow, that still seems to affect him ..." said Ferry. "Lavender gave up using them for decades, but that didn't make her any weaker. As such, she still lives well, thank you."Ben gave it a though, "That means Andrew is still using a fairy ability. Or rather, he is forced to use it in order to live among people."

"What's that?" Ferry asked, his eyes wide.

"Shapeshifting," Ben said.

Ferry shuddered. There were few fairies who could change their shapes. Amalghams, but they only changed into animals, when needed. They could not take on the appearance of a human. There were also the small creatures that could take on the appearance of a man, but which left traces of their real nature, such as the Pooka. But there was another kind of faires who could shapeshift without anyone suspecting.

"Hollowers," Ferry whispered.

Ben looked at him and Ferry read the concern in his eyes.

"That's why he doesn't want to be seen by a doctor. Because they would realize he's not human. But if he doesn't use the energy of another fairy," Ferry said, "that means Andrew will be weaker and weaker, but closer to his true appearance."

"But it means something else," Ben added. "It means that if he doesn't use the energy of a fairy in the human world--"

"He might die ..." Ferry whispered.

Ben nodded slowly. Ferry may have felt a thousand things about Andrew (most of them not very good), but he didn't want him to die. The mare thought gave him the shivers.

"I have to go," Ben said after a few moments of silence.

Ferry nodded and said goodbye to his friend. He knew where Ben was going. He and Celia found a secret place where they could meet without anyone seeing them-- the school's basement. Although Celia had become a constant guest of Ben's family who had welcomed her with open arms, the risk of her parents finding out was high. So the two lovebirds now enjoyed a place of their own every day, even if only for a few minutes.

Yet keeping a young love secret had been a big challenge for both of them. The two tried hard not to look at each other when their paths crossed. But Ben's ruffled hair, Celia's flushed cheeks, and their red, swollen lips at the end of each pause, said otherwise.

Fortunately, another had become the topic of discussion in town -- a wedding was coming. And when a wedding took place in Goodharts, the whole town attended. Felicia Scott and Patrick Callum, both born and raised in Goodharts, decided to join their destinies at the end of May, the most beautiful month of the year in Goodharts. And since it was only one month left, there was much to do and much to discuss.

The break was coming to an end and Ferry was getting ready to enterd the school when he came face to face with May.

"Ferry," she said, and her face lit up.

Ferry fussed. He remembered darkness in her room and the visit he hadn't paid.

"May, what are you doing here?"

May giggled, "I learn here, remember?"

Ferry laughed, too, and glanced at her before saying, "Listen, May, I'm sorry I didn't come to see you last night. The training with Parsley lasted longer than I expected..."

"Don't worry about it," she said. "You will have time to make up for it. You can stop by the flower shop on Saturday, if you can."

Ferry hesitated, "Are you sure your parents will be fine with that?"

"Of course. The wedding of the year is coming, and we need all the help in the world."

"Then, I'll try to come," he said.

The bell rang, announcing the end of the break. May smiled at him and walked away. Ferry looked behind her, then turned to leave. But something stopped him. He felt watched. He looked up. Somewhere, on the school's first floor, a curtain moved in the window, and a figured walked away.

*

Ferry couldn't wait for the training with Parsley to end. He was absent-minded and distracted, and Parsley, the most patient of his Guardians, eventually lost his temper.

"You know, Garrett, sometimes I feel like you're blocking all your fairy energy deep inside you. And that can backfire on you. There will come a time when you will have to leave, whether you want to or not. And you won't be ready ... But you will leave anyway."

"I'm sorry, Parsley, but I have others on my mind ..."

"What could be more important than this?" the lizard-man wondered. "An entire nation depends on you. And you-- You only think about the humans and their problems."

"But it's normal to think so, Parsley," Ferry protested. "I've lived among humans all my life. 

There are people who care about me. And I care about."

Parsley shook his head, "Humans are not that important in Akna, Garrett. Your people do not see them as you see them. Humans are evil, deceitful, thirsty for money and destructive."

"But not all humans are like that, Parsley," Ferry protested. "My mother is not like that. Ben is not like that. Or Matilda ... You know them. They are kind, generous, and brave ... You should know that."

Parsley bowed his head, "You're right ... But in Akna, humans are seen differently. Wrongfully so, true, but differently. Akna doesn't love humans. Nor their... abiders."

Ferry shrugged, "Then I'm sorry for the people of Akna. They don't know what they're missing. An abider of humans says so," he added, then turned to leave.

"Where are you going?" Parsley wondered. "We're not done yet."

"I need a break from so much lecturing," Ferry said, taking flight, and melting into the young night.

Actually, he was in a hurry to see Matilda. Since she didn't want to see him again, Ferry had decided to see her anyway, every day. He knew that at that time of the day, she was training in her backyard. By the time he reached the poplar in front of her house, Matilda was already outside. Sage and Finn, her brother, were also there. The girl no longer looked as sad as the day before. On the contrary, she shouted and jumped up with joy every time she scored during the footbal match.

After a while, Finn entered the house, and Matilda and Sage were left alone again. Ferry didn't lose sight of them, watching their every move. Now, they were eating fruits from a basket. Matilda picked grapes and threw them at Sage, who tried to catch them in his mouth. Yet the wolf-man misssed them all, and Matilda laughed, her contagious laughter filling the quiet night. Matilda, his Matilda ... How could she laugh, joke and giggle with that... that dog ?! Had she forgotten him so quickly?"

Then, the two laid down on the soft grass in the yard and stared at the sky. Matilda showed him something, gesturing with her hands. Sage said something, and she laughed. If he could only hear what they were saying ... From time to time, the two gestured at the same time, and their hands met, Sage's hairy hand touching the girl's delicate hand. Ferry felt his blood goinf to his head and his breathing accelerated. He stared at them, trying not to miss anything. By mistake, he touched one of his pockets. He found some green apples he had picked from Lavender's garden. He liked raw, sour and hard fruits; he loved to feel his teeth setting to the edge, and his mouth full of sourness. He always had a generous quantity in his pockets, this time of year.

And then, a thought came to his mind. He flew from the poplar above Matilda's yard. He rose high, as high as he could, where no eye, not even a fairy's eye, could see him. Then he began to throw the fruits, one after the other, into Sage's head. He counted more than ten. They all hit their target, falling like a rain on the wolf-man's head who had jumped to his feet, running in circles, with Matilda following him, not knowing where to hide from the plague of fruit that had fallen on him. Matilda's parents came out, alarmed by his cries. After throwing the last apple, Ferry took flight. Sage, Matilda, and her parents were now looking at the sky, trying to explain the strange phenomenon they had just witnessed.

Ferry flew away from the town to the Shepherd's Forest. He couldn't help himself any longer. He began to laugh like a mad man of Sage's reaction. And in front of Matilda, to top it all. Some warrior! The whole forest resounded with his laughter, but he couldn't stop. When he felt his stomach ache from so much laughter, Ferry flew home, wondering what else he could throw at the hairy fellow in the many days to come.

*At the Pride Mansion, the maze was turning richer and brighter with each passing day. Ol' Joseph said he had never seen it look so good in a long, long time, and that Mr. Pride would be very pleased. He would even give Ferry a bonus on his sallary. He would personally take care of that.

Ferry just smiled and did his job. He had memorized the map of the maze. And yet, when he had to work in the maze, he had a strange feeling which pressed against his chest and almost suffocated him. The wind blew differently through the small leaves. The sun could barely slip in. Sometimes, in the evening, the maze came to life, and Ferry had the feeling that sobs and whsiperes he did not understand wandered everywhere and out of nowhere, making his heart skip a beat with every movement. At other times, he had the impression that he could see out of the corner of his eye grey silhouettes that seemed to follow his every move, dissapearing as soon as the boy turned his head. And each time, Ferry left his body trembling and weak as if that place was sucking the energy out of him.

That day, Ol' Joseph told him to wet the bushes at the edge of the maze, and Ferry breathed a sigh of relief. At least he didn't need to enter the realm of sighs again, as he named that place. But even so, he felt goosebumps, and a strong feeling that he was being watched overwhelmed him. He turned abruptly and discovered Mrs. Pride staring at him. He didn't even hear her coming. She was dressed in a white silk nightgown, and her blonde hair, which she always combed in a perfect bun, now hung on her shoulders, uncombed and disheveled. She no longer wore makeup and that made her look ten years older. Her bony arms protruded from the fluffy sleeves of her nightgown, hanging inert.

Ferry jumped to his feet, "Mrs. Pride, are you alright?" he asked without moving. There was no one around them. Everything was still. Even the wind stopped.

She said nothing. She just looked at him. And he saw her eyes widen in horror.

"You have to get out of here," she whispered quickly, looking around as if she feared someone would see or hear them.

"Do you need my help?" Ferry asked. "Do you want me to take you to the mansion?" he said, thinking that maybe she wasn't feeling well or maybe she was too dizzy from the drinks she drank first thing in the morning.

But she shook her head, over and over again, "No ... You don't understand ... You have to get out of here! Leave and don't come back! This place is cursed ..."

Ferry stretched out his arm, "Mrs. Pride, lean on my hand. I'm taking you home ..."

But she continued to stare at him with horrified eyes, "No!" she shouted with a wild look on her face. "The monster ... The monster knows who you are ..."

"What do you mean?" Ferry wondered.

Then, he saw Billy running at them. "Mum, I've been looking for you everywhere," he said through the gasps. "Come on, let's go home," he said, trying to take her by the shoulders.

But she pulled away from him, "Leave me alone!" she shouted at Billy. "Why don't you go to your lover boy and leave me alone?" she added with the same haunted look.

"Mum, please ..." Billy begged her.

"Do you think I don't know what's going on?" she snapped at him. "Maybe I look mad, but I'm not ... My eyes see everything that's going on here, in this damn place."

Billy came closer and tried to make her leave. But she began to struggle in his arms, "Leave me alone! Leave me alone!" she kept on screaming. "Get out of this place! Get out of here! This place is cursed ... It should be burned to the ground!"

Then, she began to cry at Billy's chest.

"It's alright, Mum," he said softly. "Let's go inside..."

"This place is cursed ..." she whispered with a sigh.

Then, she leaned on Billy's shoulder and they both headed for the mansion.

Ferry looked behind them. Then, he shuddered and headed for the mansion's kitchen. It was the five o'clock snack time when he could see his mother and spend some time with her. Those moments were always a joy for him, no matter how hard his day had been.

In the kitchen, however, there was a continuous fuss. And not because of Mrs. Pride. Ferry looked for his mother everywhere, but he couldn't find her. He began to become agitated. One of the kitche girlssaw him.

"Ferry, go home," she said quickly.

"Where's Mum?" he asked.

"She's already gone. She's waiting for you at Lavender's house. Something happened to your father. Hurry up!"

Ferry didn't wait any longer. He headed for Lavender's house. He ran faster than ever. He could barely refrain himself from taking flight. When he arrived, he almost knocked on the front door. He found his mother in the living room, dressed in her good clothes.She was holding her small suitcase she had brought with her when they left home.

"Mum, what's going on"? he asked, feeling his heart pounding.

"Ferry, pack your things! Quickly. Your father had an accident at the factory," she said, and her voice trembled. "We're going home."

Ferry couldn't believe his ears, "What-- What accident?"

"I can't tell you more. It seems like he cut his hand in one of the wood cutting machines. Now go pack!" she said in a low voice.

But Ferry shook his head no, "No, Mum. I'm not going. And neither should you."

His mother frowned, "Ferry, I don't have time for this. Pack your things and--"

"No!" Ferry snapped. I'm not going back! I'm never going back. You should'nt either..."

"But Ferry--"

"Mum, did you forget how he treated us? How he treated YOU? He doesn't deserve us," he said with clenched fists.

"But I have to..."

Ferry felt his breath accelerating and tears filled his eyes, "No, you don't have to!" he shouted. "He is a liar and a cheater! And he doesn't deserve you!"

"Ferry!!!" his mother shouted at him. She never shouted at him.

Ferry wiped away the tears that began to fall, "He doesn't deserve you, Mum. You know this, too. Don't go ... Please ..." he said and his voice broke.

His mother came to him and wiped the tears from his cheek. Ferry closed his eyes and pressed his wet cheek to her warm, soft hand.

"He needs me, Ferry," she softly said.

Ferry shook his head. He didn't see Lavender approaching them.

"Eileen, why don't you let Ferry stay here for a while?" she said softly. "You know I'm going to take the utmost care of him. He'll come home when things will settle..."

His mother nodded. She smiled at Lavender, "Thank you for everything, Miss Lavender. You are among the most wonderful people I've ever met."

Lavender held her hand, "You'll always find shelter under my roof, Eileen," she told her. "Always."

Eileen smiled, and turned to Ferry. She cupped his face, and her eyes filled with tears, "I'll wait for you home, my sweet, sweet boy," she said. Then, she left.

Ferry watched the door that closing behind her and his heart broke. He wiped away his tears and slowly climbed the stairs to her now empty room. The room still kept her soft perfume of spring flowers. He slowly sat down on her bed. He felt Lavender's light hand on his shoulder.

"Why did she have to leave?" he whispered.

"I think deep down, you know why ..."

Ferry felt his tears slip through his eyelashes again, "She still loves him ..." he said.

"She never stopped," Lavender added.

"But I thought maybe she forgot about him. After all this time ... After all he put her through ..." he softly said. "I thought she stopped loving him."

"Love marks don't fade away that easily, Ferry," Lavender softly said. "Sometimes, we can't see them. Or we ignore them, thinking that maybe, just maybe, one day, they will faint and dissapear. But love, true love, never goes away. And we come to know that our love marks are there still, forever carved into our hearts ..."

Ferry's problems, real problems that is, have just begun. What do you think?

As always, thank you so much for being the amazing people you are!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

209 103 27
Thelron is a 19 year old human that was raised by the Faerie Queen. For years he worked hard to learn their ways and gain their trust so that one day...
1.5K 1K 34
{{ THIS BOOK IS THE THREEQUEL TO "THE MOON SPAWN" AND "THE HONOR OF LIGHT" RESPECTIVELY. PLEASE READ THE FIRST AND SECOND BOOKS TO BETTER UNDERSTAND...
314 18 30
A horrific family tragedy sets seventeen-year-old Astrid Donovan down a path of revenge, where she discovers one of the many secrets her family has g...
71.6K 5.1K 52
|Book 2| Andorra isn't human. She's also not just the Fae Princess everyone thinks she is. She's running out of time, running out of ideas, and runni...