The Unexpected Path

By TheFeveredBookaholic

They say the best things in life are unexpected but so are the worst things. Especially the worst things. Luc... More

Dedications
Playlist
Prologue - Lucas
Chapter 1 - Lucas
Chapter 2 - Olivia
Chapter 3 - Lucas
Chapter 4 - Olivia
Chapter 5 - Lucas
Chapter 6 - Olivia
Chapter 7 - Lucas
Chapter 9 - Lucas
Chapter 10 - Olivia
Chapter 11 - Lucas
Chapter 12 - Olivia
Chapter 13 - Lucas
Chapter 14 - Olivia
Chapter 15 - Lucas
Chapter 16 - Olivia
Chapter 17 - Lucas
Chapter 18 - Olivia
Chapter 19 - Olivia
Chapter 20 - Lucas
Chapter 21 - Lucas
Chapter 22 - Olivia
Chapter 23 - Lucas
Chapter 24 - Olivia
Chapter 25 - Lucas
Chapter 26 - Olivia
Chapter 27 - Lucas
Chapter 28 - Olivia
Chapter 29 - Lucas
Chapter 30 - Lucas
Chapter 31 - Lizzie
Chapter 32 - Emily
Chapter 33 - Jaxon
Chapter 34 - Lucas
Chapter 35 - Olivia
Epilogue - Lucas
Author's Note
NEW PROJECT - Fall 2020 Standalone
NEW PROJECT - Sweet Spot Synopsis
BONUS CHAPTER - Lucas

Chapter 8 - Olivia

57.2K 2.4K 2.6K
By TheFeveredBookaholic

"There you are," Manuel exclaims as soon as I step foot inside the studio. "I was waiting for you."

"Am I late?" I set my shoulder bag down against the wall where the rest of everyone's things are. The class is sitting in a line against the back wall and all their eyes land on me so I offer a wave.

"Just in time. I was catching them up to speed. You ready?"

"Yeah," I nod and gather my hair in a ponytail. I changed into a dance outfit and did all my stretches back at the dorm before coming here.

"If you have your song of choice in your phone you can hook it up to the speakers," Manuel gestures to show me where it is.

I nod and and take off my shoes, my sock-clad feet barely making a noise as I cross the studio. I connect my phone to the loud speaker as Manuel stands off to the side with his arms crossed and an expectant grin. I turn the volume nearly as long as it can go, playing a Spanish tune that accounts for a lot of hip-hop and a lot of ass shaking. I move to the center of the studio and face the floor-to-ceiling mirror so that my back is to the class. I get into stance, shaking my hands out and spreading my legs apart. My body automatically relaxes from the familiarity of this. God, it's been a while.

The salsa class erupts into cheers when the familiar notes of Chantaje play through the speakers. They sure as fuck know what's coming. I'm pretty sure I hear Manuel release a loud laugh. I swing my hips to side in a lazy manner that's nothing but a tease. When the lyrics start up, I spin on my heel and hit the floor, raising myself on all fours and using my knees to slide backward and pushing my body up and down. I sit up and lean back until my head touches the floor behind me, my legs still bent underneath me. I take my hand to the front of my chest and slide it down while pushing my hips up provocatively before sitting back up, throwing my head to the side and flipping my hair out of the way. My fingers slide through my hair as I rise to my feet, leaning my weight from side to side as I wait for the chorus to drop. Once it does, I move.

It comes to me naturally because my body already knows what to do. I don't have to think twice about what to do next or how to do it because I just feel the music and move. I string together a freestyle of different hip-hop moves and the class cheers me on. I smile at the familiarity of this. The slight burn in my muscles, feeling my body move like water, moving as if the music and my body are one being. Fuck, I missed this.

Because this is a salsa class I wait for the chorus again and gesture to Manuel to join me. He grins and walks over, looking amused as hell. I take one of his hands and place the other on his shoulder and then easily slip into bachata. He laughs in excitement and doesn't miss a beat, swivelling his waist to the rhythm and dipping.

I move my hips side to side and match their movements in tune with my feet. Manuel pulls me closer until our hips are lined together and then we move them simultaneously. I let one of my hands fall to my side and grip the back of his neck, making my movements appear more lazy and fluid. We move in complete synchronization, waists gliding side to side with our bodies pressed to each other. Manuel dips me back and I add a little more flare by running my hands through my hair and then grazing them along the floor beneath me until he pulls me back up. His hands grip my waist and he turns me around and we resume our hip movements, slow and steady and side to side. My hands link behind his neck, my back plastered to his chest, so it's easy for us to move in harmony because I can feel his next move before he makes it.

The end of the song comes all too soon and Manuel backs away to give me the spotlight again. I don't put too much effort into my moves because I think I've made my point and I don't want to come across as a show-off or anything. When the final note ends I take a small bow and applause greets me. Manuel is laughing when he approaches me again and throws an arm around my shoulder.

"You weren't kidding about those moves, mami," He grins.

I wink back. "These hips don't lie."

He turns to the class again. "This is Olivia West, the new co-instructor for this team. The two of us will be working together to work with all of you for the rest of the semester."

"Co-instructor?" I ask him under my breath.

He lowers his voice too. "If you're willing."

That's definitely a no-brainer. "I'm in."

"Perfect!" He releases me and claps his hands. "How about you get into your assigned pairs to show Olivia what you've learned since she's two weeks behind. We'll take it from there."

We do and it's the most I've felt at home since coming back to Boston. When I dance I don't have to think about anything else. I don't have to think, period, and that's exactly what I need right now.

After Lucas announced he wanted to play some morbidly sordid version of cat and mouse with me I've been on edge. I know he wouldn't physically harm me but he has all the power to hurt me emotionally and he knows it. What I don't know is what his limits are or when he's going to call it quits. The most fucked up part? My pride wants me to play. If he's going to try to get to me to prove that I still care about him or that he affects me then I'll prove the same thing back. I'm not an idiot. That day in the bathroom there was something weird between us, like electricity or heat. It was attraction and I wanted the floor to swallow me up when I realized it. The only thing that made it barely tolerable was I know Lucas was just as attracted to me. For all he claims about hating me a part of him actually wants me. Maybe for his own personal gain but he wants me nonetheless. So if this is the game he's going to play I'll make him admit first. I want the upper hand.

I haven't seen him since Beck's party. He didn't show up to Astronomy this week and he barely leaves his dorm. I keep waiting for him to pop out and pull something twisted just to get a reaction from me. Lucas has way too much pride and that's exactly why he's playing this game. Rather than ask me what he wants to know from me he'll do everything he can to make me show it instead. Anything instead of admitting he's actually curious about what he means to me now. But I guess I can only talk so much shit because I'm exactly the same. That's been our problem since day one — we don't fucking communicate. I still don't know what the hell I did to make him hate me so much and he still doesn't know how he broke my heart four years ago. We'll do fucking anything instead of talking about it. Ego kills and it killed us. It's still killing us and we both know it but instead of stopping it, we're only making it worse.

I don't know how I manage to get through the first class when I was zoned out the whole time. Before I know it it's time to pack up and leave and I'm the first one gone. I hate that this class is the one thing I was looking forward to most and I ruined it by thinking about Lucas the entire time instead. What the hell is wrong with me? Why do I even give a shit about that selfish asshole? It's just the history, I tell myself. He was my best friend and my first love. My first kiss. My everything. Even though he's a complete stranger to me now, I can't help but wonder if the old Lucas is in there somewhere. Maybe that's why I can't seem to let him go. On some level he was right — I've been running from him for years. Now that I'm back I'm wondering if I've actually moved on from him or if I was just distracting myself this whole time. It's a humiliating thought.

I'm grateful for the interruption when my phone rings. I pick it up mindlessly, not really paying attention. "Hello?"

"Hey gorgeous," It's Beck and I automatically smile hearing his voice. Then there's Beck. He's an amazing guy and he's into me. I'm definitely charmed by him. There's just no...zing. The kind of spark that makes me feel alive from everywhere. It's only nice. Boy-next-door nice. But that's a good thing too and it's too soon for me to assume we wouldn't have heat or passion between us. I've only known the guy for two weeks and something could change so I want to give it a shot. We're only friends right now but who knows right?

"Hey," I greet back just as I step outside and head for the residence building. "What are you up to?"

"Doing an essay. Actually, doing everything but this essay. I got bored."

"Wow, so I'm a last resort, huh?"

"Shut up," He chuckles. Beck has the nicest laugh. It's deep and kind of husky and genuine too. You can hear how happy and outgoing he is. "What about you?"

"Heading back to my dorm. I just had salsa class."

"You're taking salsa?"

"Yeah, I auditioned today and got appointed as co-instructor. It feels good to be dancing again."

"Co-instructor, huh? That's impressive. Think I could check you out some time?"

"When are you not checking me out?" I toss back.

He laughs again and I smile. "That's entirely true. Am I that obvious?"

"Only because I'm always paying close attention."

"Didn't realize I had your attention," I can hear the smirk in his voice and feel giddy. Our banter comes so easily. It's fun.

"You have lots to learn," I agree.

"What are the chances of taking more lessons? Want to hang out today?"

"Can't," I tell him regretfully. "I have to take off for home in a couple of hours. I'm visiting my aunt for the weekend."

"Of course. Don't worry about it then. How is she doing, by the way?"

"It's...a work in progress," I admit. Things haven't improved since I heard last but the doctors are telling us to be hopeful. They said turning points are always possible and Aunt Emily isn't in the worst stage yet.

"You doing okay?"

"I guess," I sigh just as I enter the residence building. I start for the stairs. "There's nothing we can do except wait, you know? We can't change her situation or make it better. We just have to be there for her so we're heading out for the weekend."

"We?"

"Lucas and Zack too."

"How's Cage?" Beck asks and I can tell he's just being polite.

"I have no idea," I tell him truthfully. "We don't exactly talk."

"But aren't you guys family? How would that work?"

"We're not family," I feel the need to correct. Everyone makes it sound like we're related or some shit. "It's more like our parents are family. I don't know. It's a long story. I got to go now but I'll see you in class on Monday?"

"For sure. Have a good weekend, Liv."

I can't help but catch onto the nickname. It's cute that he's using it. "You too, Beck. Bye."

I hang up and put my phone back inside my bag, retrieving the keys to my dorm and heading in. The smile I had on my face immediately slips off at the sight that greets me. Lucas, casually sprawled across my couch, a bored expression on his face when his eyes land on me. My body tightens defensively. Just when I had my guard down and he somehow knew it, like the manipulative ass he is.

"Look who's here," He drawls and his eyes scan my body briefly. "You were dancing."

It's beyond me how he knows that and I hate it. It feels like a violation because he shouldn't know anything about me. I glare at him.

"Is breaking and entering a hobby you picked up?"

"So fucking dramatic. I was invited."

"Invited?" I repeat incredulously. "I don't recall inviting you."

"Not everything is about you," His lips curls. "You're not the only one who lives here."

Grace walks into the living room with a glass of water in her hand and pauses when she sees me, waving. "Hey."

"You let him in here?" I ask through gritted teeth.

She hesitantly hands Lucas the glass and looks between us. "Was that not allowed? He came to apologize."

"I was telling Grace how sorry I was for yelling at her the other day," He confirms and grins up at her. Immediately I have my suspicions. For starters, Lucas doesn't apologize. Ever. And he never smiles but the way he's looking at Grace is all kinds of charming. "I didn't realize how sweet your roommate is, Olivia. So beautiful too."

Grace visibly blushes, waving him off as she takes a seat beside him. Way too close to him. I clench my fist so hard I swear I stop the blood circulation in my hand. Fucking seriously? He's dragging Grace into our bullshit? I meet his eyes and he smirks, a glint in his eyes to challenge me.

"Grace, can I have a word?" I ask as calmly as I can.

"Sure," She gets to her feet again but before she can walk away Lucas grabs her hand. She looks down at him just as he brushes his thumb across her hand. He stares at her through heavy-lidded eyes, gaze molten. I can see Grace melting on the spot.

"You forgive me, right? You know I didn't mean to be rude?" He murmurs.

His choice of words make my shoulders lock. He knows I'm going to tell Grace that he's an asshole and he's making sure she won't believe me. I know he isn't being sincere right now. I know he doesn't give a fuck if he offended Grace but she's oblivious. The way she smiles shyly says it all.

"Of course," She nods. "Um, I'll be right back."

He smiles at her again and drops her hand. When Grace turns around and heads for me, the expression on Lucas's face slips and he watches her with a look that says he's unimpressed. God, what a fucking asshole. He doesn't even care that he's messing with her. I'm absolutely fuming and he knows it. It's what he wants.

"He's so cute," Grace whispers excitedly under her breath when she reaches me, her eyes lit up.

I swear my chest cracks right open. She genuinely believes he's into her and I don't know how to tell her that's not the case. I have to be the one to tell her that Lucas is playing games with her. I have to be the one to hurt her now. I swallow harshly and lock eyes with Lucas again. His face is void of emotion but the look in his gaze is total satisfaction. He put me in a tough spot and now he's watching me squirm. He's enjoying every second of it. That's why he's here — for a front row seat of watching me clean up his mess. I fucking hate this game already.

"Let's go outside," I tell Grace gently, clasping her hand and taking her out into the hallway. I make sure the door is shut tightly before facing her.

"I'm sorry if I wasn't supposed to let him inside," She immediately blurts. "I know you two have your issues but he asked really nicely and he apologized a lot. We were just talking when you came in. He doesn't seem so bad, Olivia. I think we all just got off on the wrong foot."

"No babe," I shake my head. "He's just putting on a facade. He doesn't actually mean his apologies or anything he said. Trust me, he's not someone you want to let your guard down with."

Her expression falls and she crosses her arms defensively. "How can you know that? Maybe you're just reading him wrong."

"I've known him all my life, Grace."

"But I don't understand. Why would he fake his apology or being nice to me? What would he gain from that?"

"Causing a mess. Trying to fuck with our friendship. Take your pick."

She doesn't look convinced as she shuffles her weight from one foot to the other. "I don't know, Olivia. Are you sure you're not just reading into this? He was being genuinely nice to me. Of course I'm going to be nice back."

"Except he's not being nice," I insist as softly as I can. "He's messing around."

When her cheeks flush and her eyes go downcast I know I've said the wrong thing. She mumbles, "Is it that hard to believe he could like me? I know I'm not...you, but still."

"What? Grace, you're taking this the wrong way. He's being insincere with you and I don't want you to get hurt." I try to search her face but she refuses to look at me. "Grace, please. Say something."

"It's just weird," She shrugs. "Why would anyone go out of their way to act this petty? You guys should just talk to each other if you're having problems. I don't want to be dragged into whatever mess this is."

"I know, and I'm so sorry Lucas got you involved," When she finally meets my gaze I regard her seriously. "Just...try to stay away from him. He's drama."

Grace winces. "No offence, Olivia, but he's your drama. I really don't want to be part of this. I already feel like an idiot."

"You're not," I squeeze her hand. "I really am so sorry, Grace."

"That's alright," She smiles but it's not her smile. She's just being nice because she's Grace. "I guess I did come across as an easy target to mess with."

"Hey, come on. Don't do that. You're my friend and that's the only reason Lucas is doing this. He knows you're important to me."

"Thanks," This time her smile looks a little more sincere. Then she winces as she glances at the door. "I really don't want to face him right now. He made me look really stupid."

"How about you meet me in the student hall in ten minutes for some coffee? I'll be gone for the weekend so we can hang out before I have to leave?"

"Yeah. Okay. I'll head there now."

"Thank you for being so understanding, bébé." I hug her and am grateful as hell when she hugs me back. "I'll make it up to you, okay?"

"Coffee's on you," She heads for the stairs. "See you in ten."

I wave back when she disappears into the stairwell. Then all traces of humour are gone and I'm fuming all over again as I stalk inside my dorm. Lucas is standing by the door, messing with his hair and looking in the mirror that Grace hung up in the hall. He faces me when I stop a feet away.

"How sweet," He grins. "She really is a nice person, that Grace. Shitty confidence, though. Gullible as fuck too."

"Leave her alone Lucas," I snap. "She's already shy and reserved. She doesn't need you making her feel like shit."

He shrugs. "She needs to grow a backbone."

"Fuck you. You think making everyone around you miserable will take away your pain? And you call Grace gullible."

His eyes flash and he takes a step closer to me. "You should really watch the way you talk to me."

I take one step closer too. "And you should realize who the hell you're messing with. If you think I'm going to bend for you the way everyone else does, you have another thing coming."

He tilts his head slowly at my words, blinking for a moment. He stuffs his hands in his pockets and closes the rest of the distance between us. I hold my breath when his head dips until it's level with mine, so close that our noses brush briefly. Why does he do this? Get close, touch me, mess with me. I don't dare move a muscle.

"If I wanted you bent for me, I'd put you in that position myself, Olivia." His tone is almost gentle but the hardness in his gaze doesn't fool me. My breath catches at his words.

He lifts a finger and drags the back of it down my face. It takes everything I have to not let myself react to his touch. His startlingly greenish-blue eyes lock with mine and there's something in them I can't make sense of. Eventually he straightens up and shoulders past me to let himself out. When the door slams behind him I finally release the breath I was holding, my heart racing a mile a minute. What the fuck have I gotten myself into?

__________________________

A/N

You're such a jerk, Lucas. I can't wait to see the goodness in you finally come out. Who else?

Please VOTE, comment and share if you liked this chapter!

Happy Reading :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.4M 406K 44
COMPLETED: 24/02/17 *Warning: LABELLED MATURE. Due to sexual content and graphic language, this book is recommended for readers 17+ in age* Rising bo...
3.6M 126K 43
*WARNING: RATED MATURE DUE TO LANGUAGE/SEXUAL CONTENT. READERS MUST BE 17+* *CANNOT be read without reading prior novels in series* Asher Pryce hides...
5.4M 184K 46
Veronica Cruz has been through hell and back. After disconnecting with the world two years ago to be at the side of her dying mother, she's left alon...
209K 5.7K 46
Criminal. Fighter. Hacker. Assassin. Cop. Selena. Selena Montgomery was your average 17 year old girl. That's what it seemed like to the outside worl...