Waging War: Book 1: Beyond th...

By DawnfireOfSkyClan

The owl calls again... Owlkit's birth was unexpected, and her life almost ended before it began but despite t... More

Allegiances
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21

Chapter 22

696 29 14
By DawnfireOfSkyClan

Owlpaw opened her eyes, she found herself not in the cavern she had been sleeping in, but on the cliff overlook above Sheer Mountain's cavern. She could smell a familiar, sweet scent. It's Mosscloud's scent. Owlpaw twisted in a circle, trying to spot the StarClan she-cat. "Mosscloud? Are you here?"

Movement caught her eyes and Owlpaw glanced up towards the sky. The stars began to move, several of them floated downwards and in front of Owlpaw, took the shape of a cat. The shape filled with the tortoiseshell pattern of Mosscloud. "Good evening, Owlpaw." Mosscloud dipped her head. "How are you tonight?"

"Excited to see you." Owlpaw explained. "Do you have any guidance for me? About our mission?"

"Perhaps." Mosscloud set down, resting her tail across her paws. "What kind of guidance are you seeking?"

Owlpaw sighed. "I want to tell Sheer Mountain about this mission, but I'm not sure how she will take it. She's been expressing interest in the Clans, and she shows the traits of a leader but she doesn't believe in StarClan. I think it's the right thing to do to. Hiding won't help anything.."

"If you believe it is the right thing to do, Owlpaw, then it is." Mosscloud spoke, her words making Owlpaw feel confused. "This is your mission, not mine. Not anymore."

"Then why are you visiting me if this is my mission?"

"Because I am your guide beyond the Clans." Mosscloud explained. "You can tell Sheer Mountain about this mission, but it won't mean anything if Sheer Mountain doesn't believe in StarClan. She can't become a leader without nine lives."

"Then what do I do?"

"Convince Sheer Mountain to open her mind, to open her heart. Once she does that, I will be able to reach her then it will become my task. I can show her the stars, and she'll have believe in us."

"So you'll help me?" Owlpaw questioned.

"I will, though you'll be doing the hard part." Mosscloud let out a mrrow of laughter. "I'll be with you, Owlpaw. The stars are behind you, always."

****

Owlpaw opened her eyes, she was back in her nest and the early morning light was shinning through the cave entrance. Owlpaw slowly rose to her paws. Most of her travel mates were still sleeping except for Slatepaw and Leafdawn who were presumably out hunting, and Berryheart who had been keeping guard through the night.

Owlpaw padded over to Nettle, the rogue was sleeping soundly. She sniffed her wounds, they smelled only of herbs. The infection was completely gone now, and all they were waiting on was her body to heal itself.

Owlpaw did a quick wrap change without waking the slumbering she-cat and ventured out into the cavern. The morning was chilly, the scent of dew heavy on the air. Owlpaw breathed a sigh of content before padding over to the fresh-kill pile and picking up a mouse.

As she slowly ate her morning prey, Owlpaw began to think about her dream with Mosscloud. The stars are behind you, always. Her words rang in Owlpaw's mind like an echo. I need to tell Sheer Mountain, but how? Owlpaw wondered. How will she react? Ever since Raptor's death, the two of them had regained their friendship.

I need to go on a walk with her. Owlpaw thought, staring up at the sky, faint wisps of clouds scattered across the pale blue surface. I don't think she'll throw us out, but I don't think she will take it very well. Owlpaw stared at her half-eaten mouse, anxiety ripping through her entire body. I can do this. I can do this. This is my mission. The stars are behind me.

As her mind raced, Owlpaw spotted Sheer Mountain stepping out of her den. She stretched out in the pale sunlight and let out a yawn. She looked behind her, presumably checking on the kits before stepping into the open cavern. She looked around, setting her eyes on Owlpaw. She trotted slowly over to the apprentice. "Good morning, Owlpaw." Sheer Mountain dipped her head.

"Good morning." Owlpaw replied. "Sleep well?"

"I did." Sheer Mountain ran her claws across the stone surface. "How's Nettle?"

"She's doing great, actually." Owlpaw explained. "Infections gone, just waiting for her body to heal. She'll have some scars, though."

"At least she'll live. She's been nice to have a around, I'm not used to meeting such friendly rogues."

"She told me about her life when she was younger." Owlpaw replied. "It's not a life she chose, but the life that was forced upon her."

Sheer Mountain nodded slowly. "I hope to get to know here."

"Me too." Owlpaw waved here tail. I guess it's now or never. "Sheer Mountain," She spoke up. "I could use some more marigold, would you mind coming with me?"

"Sure thing." Sheer Mountain stretched out her legs. "I need to stretch my legs." Together, the two of them padded out of the cavern, passing Berryheart as she returned to her nest to sleep.

They padded down the slope and into the field. Owlpaw's heart trembled as she forced herself to begin this conversation. "So," Owlpaw spoke, her voice cracking. "I just wanted to thank you, for allowing us to stay so long."

"Of course." Sheer Mountain purred happily. "You may stay as long as you need, until you figure out your mission, that is."

"That's...the thing." Owlpaw stopped walking. Sheer Mountain stopped as well. "We uh," She took a shaky breath. "We kind of--know our mission already." She lowered her head.

"Oh." Sheer Mountain's expression shifted, she seemed...sad. "I suppose that means you will be leaving soon."

"Not exactly." Owlpaw knew this was the moment, but she had to be brave. "We may not be leaving for a while, yet. It's more complicated than we anticipated."

Relief sparked in Sheer Mountain's eyes. She doesn't want us to leave. "Well, then my offer still stands. Stay as long as you like." She looked away for a moment, then back to Owlpaw. "So what is your mission, if you're able to tell me."

Owlpaw sat down, looking towards the river. "Our mission is to build a new Clan. Meaning we need to find a leader, a medicine cat and willing warriors to venture back to our home and live amongst the other four."

"Wow." Sheer Mountain stared at Owlpaw in surprise. "That's quite the heavy task. How will you find those cats?"

"Well..." Owlpaw shuffled her paws. "StarClan has already chosen the leader of this new Clan." Owlpaw rested her gaze on Sheer Mountain who suddenly became uncomfortable.

"Why uh--" Sheer Mountain shifted nervously, holding her head up. "Why are you looking at me, Owlpaw."

"Because it's you, Sheer Mountain. StarClan has chosen you to lead this new Clan." Speaking those words made Owlpaw feel as if she was spitting up brambles. Owlpaw wasn't expecting Sheer Mountain's reaction, she expected the loner to be angered but instead her eyes filled with fear.

"What--" Sheer Mountain's voice shook and she stumbled backwards. "No. No. That's not possible, I don't even believe in StarClan, I have no connection to the Clans! I'm just a loner."

"That's not true." Owlpaw said. "You are the descendant of an ancient Clan cat who came from long before even the time of my Clan. Because of your bloodlines, you are the cat chosen by the stars."

"No!" Sheer Mountain shouted, flattening her ears. "You're just saying that! StarClan isn't real, Owlpaw!"

"It is real, Sheer Mountain." Owlpaw did her best to keep calm, she had to help Sheer Mountain calm down.

"Then why have I never seen them, huh?" Sheer Mountain demanded. "Why has my mother never come to see me from the stars?"

"Because they can't reach those who close their minds." Owlpaw explained. "Your mind is closed to StarClan and therefore they cannot reach you. If you open up your heart, mind and spirit to StarClan then Mosscloud will be able to reach you. She'll show you the way."

Sheer Mountain's eyes were a flurry of emotions. Panic, fear, disbelief. "This is..."

"I know it's a lot to take in, Sheer Mountain." Owlpaw explained. "And I don't want you to feel like you have to do this. I would never force you to follow a path that wasn't right for you. All I'm asking is for you to think about it."

"What if I say no?" Sheer Mountain questioned, her body still shaking.

"Then we will figure something else out." Owlpaw explained. "All I ask is that you think about what I've said today, and we'll take it from there."

Sheer Mountain turned her back on Owlpaw, lowering her head. "When I was younger, my mother told me about destiny. She said that I had a powerful destiny, but she never told me what it was. I asked her almost every single day. She told me that she didn't know, but she told me to look towards the stars and they would tell me.

"As I got older, I assumed she was mad. That's what my father would tell me. He told me that my mother's head was full of stars but her heart was full of love and that's what mattered. Then she died, her own insanity claimed her life. I spent the rest of my life believing that, and then you came along. You come along and inform me of something called StarClan, and now you tell me that I have some destiny that involves these Clans I've never heard about.

"You've somehow answered the questions that I have been asking for seasons," Sheer Mountain turned around to face Owlpaw, her eyes were filled with pain. "And yet I can't bring myself to believe you."

Owlpaw's heart dropped. She's going to tell me no. Owlpaw stood up, facing her friend. "This isn't just your destiny, Sheer Mountain. It's mine as well. I was named after an owl that guided my Clanmates to a new home, and now this same owl led us beyond the mountains to find you.

"I'm terrified of failing this mission, but I know in my heart it is what I'm meant to do. I've come so close to death, so many times from the moment I was born to now. I have a destiny too, Sheer Mountain, and my destiny involves you." Sheer Mountain turned away once more, letting out a heavy sigh.

"This is so much for me to handle." She mewed, her voice barely above a whisper. "I thought I lived a simple life. Nothing but me, my father and my kits. How can I give all that up?"

"They can come with you, they'll never leave your side." Owlpaw explained.

Sheer Mountain tilted her head back, glancing up towards the pale sky. "You told me I could think about my answer, yes?"

"Of course."

"Then I will think about it." Sheer Mountain directed her golden gaze back towards Owlpaw. "I'll think about this, and I'll come to you when I'm ready for my answer."

Owlpaw bowed her head. "Thank you, Sheer Mountain. That is all I ask of you." Sheer Mountain nodded slowly.

"Now," She breathed out. "Let's go get that marigold." Owlpaw lifted her head and felt relief filling her entire body. I was doubting myself, but I believe that in time Sheer Mountain will say yes. Owlpaw looked at the loner. She looked like a leader, and Owlpaw knew that she would be an incredible leader to this new Clan. I just have to give her that time. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

264 19 16
"With the help of a bat with iron wings, the Brightest Flame will destroy the reign of the ice." Darkness is threatening the Clans from within, but o...
12.5K 644 34
"When the blood covers the moon, peace will drown in the ashes of war." The traveling cats have returned to the mountains with an entire new Clan, St...
15.5K 486 26
The choices of the brave, and the mistakes of the frightened will shape the forest with unsteady paws and claws that rain blood Peace has formed betw...
1.2K 114 21
[COMPLETE & REVISED] Burnetpaw is simply a bad hunter. After spending all of her apprenticeship attempting to improve her abilities, she is still not...