DC Characters

By vybz-kartel

Info on many DC Comics characters. Information taken from Comic Vine. I OWN NOTHING RIGHTS GOES TO DC ENTERTA... More

Superhero
Superman
Green Arrow
Flash (Jay Garrick)
Flash (Barry Allen)
Flash (Wally West)
Flash (Bart Allen)
Aquaman
Atom (Ray Palmer)
Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
Dick Grayson
Booster Gold
Shazam!
Catwoman
Martian Manhunter
Tim Drake
Joker
Lex Luthor
Darkseid
Sinestro
Ra's Al Ghul
Black Adam
Supergirl
Black Canary
Batgirl (Barbara Gordon)
Hawkman
Firestorm
Zatanna
Professor Zoom
Captain Cold
Red Tornado
Starfire
Cyborg
Beast Boy
Static
Jason Todd
Roy Harper
Blue Beetle (Jamie Reyes)
Blue Beetle (Ted Kord)
Donna Troy
Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner)
Green Lantern (Guy Gardner)
Green Lantern (Alan Scott)
Green Lantern (John Stewart)
DC UNIVERSE
Two Face
Harley Quinn
Deadshot
Speed Force
Batwoman
Talia Al Ghul
Scarecrow
Mr. Freeze
Deathstroke
Brainiac
Superhero Fiction
Superpower
Lobo
DC MOVIES ANNOUNCED
Doomsday
Justice League of America
Teen Titans
Legion of Superheroes
JLA/Avengers
Starro
Despero
Amazo
Prometheus
Carol Ferris
Mongul
Nekron
Poison Ivy
Cyborg Superman
Green Lantern Corps
Nightwing Quotes
Parallax
DC Civil War
Mirror Master (Scudder)

Batman

96 0 0
By vybz-kartel

Current Events

Since being rebooted into the "New 52," Batman has more exposure than ever before. He is presently starring in six titles, as follows Someone said:

Batman - Batman's origin and early years in the New 52 is told in the story called Zero Year. Currently, Batman is attacked by members of the Justice League, forcing him to activate his contingency plan "Fenrir" to fight off his former team-mates who are apparently under the control of the returning Joker.
Detective Comics - Batman has been tracking down a new drug called Icarus which has claimed the life of a friend of his. Now Batman is attempting to stop an apparent terrorist attack on an airport.
Batman and Robin - The deceased Damian Wayne's body has been taken by Goodfrey from Apokolips in order to wield the power of a crystal shard that is said in the story to be a able to bring back the dead. Knowing this, Batman plans to go to Apokolips, against the Justice League's wishes, and bring back his son alive, using an armor called the HellBat.
Justice League - After the events of the story called Forever Evil, Lex Luthor is not only seen as a hero but he also knows Batman's secret identity. After much hesitation, Batman convinced his allies to recruit Lex Luthor into the Justice League to keep a close eye on him. At the same time, the entity within the Power Ring is on the loose, and despite being stopped by Batman, still warns of the coming of something that may destroy the world.
Batman/Superman - Focuses on the teaming up between Batman and Superman in the New 52.
Batman Etenal: Jim Gordon is framed with murder and is imprisoned in Blackgate, and as a result a gang war has erupted and many changes have shaken Gotham, including the declaration of martial law, all in an attempt to destroy everything Batman holds dear. Batman has discovered that the man behind these machination is none other than his old friend Tommy Eliot now known as Hush.
Batman has also been featured prominently in a story arc in I, Vampire and shows up periodically in Nightwing, Batgirl, Batwoman, Batwing, and Catwoman. He was featured in the 34 issue Batman: The Dark Knight before its cancellation.

Origin

Young Bruce grieving over his parents' bodies
A wealthy philanthropist, Thomas Wayne, his wife, Martha, and their 8 year-old son, Bruce Wayne, were coming out of a movie theater at 10:47 p.m. As they stepped onto Park Row (now called Crime Alley), a thug named Joe Chill armed with a gun approached them from the shadows to steal the pearl necklace Martha was wearing. Thomas, moving in to protect his wife, was shot by Chill, causing Martha to scream. Chill then shot her, while shouting, "this'll shut you up!". Bruce, traumatized by the deaths of his parents, would never be the same. Afterward, Bruce was raised by his wise and loyal butler, Alfred Pennyworth, and inherited his family's vast fortune as well as his father's company, Wayne Enterprises. Standing at his parents' gravestones, Bruce made a solemn oath to avenge their deaths.

Despite fiscal security, happiness eluded Bruce. Young Bruce was comforted by Dr. Leslie Thompkins, who helped him to mourn his parents and find a purpose in life. At age fourteen, Bruce started a twelve year walkabout around the world seeking experts in many fields, training himself mentally and physically. From an academic standpoint, he studied at Cambridge in England, the Sorbonne in France, and other famous European universities. A Frenchman named Henri Ducard taught him man-hunting, a ninja named Kirigi taught him stealth, an African bushman trained him in the art of the hunt, and Nepalese monks taught him healing.

Bruce returned to Gotham City, where he became a vigilante. But despite all his honed skills, he knew something was missing. Bruce believed criminals to be a "superstitious and cowardly lot," and in order to rid Gotham of evil, he needed to reinvent himself to become a terrifying symbol that would strike fear into the hearts of criminals. While in his father's study, a large bat crashed through the window. Bruce saw this as an omen and recalled his fear of bats as a child. This would be his symbol; the Bat would strike terror into the Gotham underworld. Using his vast wealth, Bruce designed a costume and state of the art equipment, thus beginning a difficult double life: by day, he would be the billionaire playboy and businessman, Bruce Wayne, and by night, he was The Batman.

Creation

Bob Kane's original design.
Batman, one of the most influential comic book characters to be penned, was created by artist Bob Kane and writer Bill Finger, though Kane, who designed the character, often receives credit as the sole creator. After the success of Superman in early 1939, DC comics started requesting more superheroes for its titles. Bob Kane had an idea for a character called "Bat-Man." There is a large controversy that suggests Kane came up with a "Birdman" and Finger is the one who actually suggested the name "Bat-man." The character's alter-ego's name was influenced by the names of the Scottish patriot Robert the Bruce and revolutionary U.S. Brigadier General Mad Anthony Wayne (who, in the comics, is an ancestor of Bruce). For the character's costume, Kane drew inspiration from a flying device designed by Leonardo da Vinci: the ornithopter, a glider that had bat like wings.

Most of the Bat costume designs were suggested by Bill Finger. Kane initially drew Batman with a red and black costume, a domino mask, and wings. Finger suggested the character's costume be colored gray & black to make the character look more "ominous." He also suggested replacing the domino mask with a cowl and the wings with a cape. Finger also wanted Kane to change the way Batman's eyes appeared behind the mask and urged him to turn them into white spots. Later Finger admitted that he was influenced by the comic character The Phantom, who also wore a mask with no visible pupils. Gloves were also added so that Batman would not leave fingerprints behind.

Batman's First appearance
Like Superman, various aspects of Batman's personality, character history, visual design and equipment were inspired by contemporary popular culture of the 1930's, including movies, pulp magazine, comic strips, newspaper headlines and even aspects of Kane himself. Notable sources of inspiration were two of Kane's favorite movies, The Bat Whispers (1930), the film was a screen adaptation of Mary Robert Rinehart's mystery novel that featured character named The Bat, a detective who has a secret alter ego known as the Bat. The other movie that influenced Kane was The Mark of Zorro (1920). One might point out that in the movies young Bruce Wayne is often shown to have seen a Zorro movie before his parents were murdered. The character first appeared in Detective Comics #27, published in 1939, and later became popular enough to spawn his own comics. Along with Superman and Wonder Woman, Batman has provided many of the core story arcs for the DC brand since his creation.

Batman is unique for the simple reason that he has no superhuman powers and is an ordinary human relying on intelligence, money, inventiveness, detective skills, martial arts, and fear to defeat his opponents. He currently makes the most money for a single publishing character and is widely considered to be one of the most popular superheroes in comics.

In the original version of the story and the vast majority of re-tellings, Batman's secret identity is Bruce Wayne, an American millionaire (later billionaire) playboy, industrialist, and philanthropist. Having witnessed the murder of his parents as a child, he swore revenge on criminals, an oath tempered with the greater ideal of justice. Wayne trains himself both physically and intellectually and dons a bat-themed costume in order to fight crime. Batman operates in the fictional American Gotham City, assisted by various supporting characters including his crime-fighting partner, Robin, his butler Alfred Pennyworth, the police commissioner Jim Gordon, and occasionally the heroine Batgirl. He fights an assortment of villains such as the Joker, the Penguin, the Riddler, Two-Face, Ra's al Ghul,Scarecrow, Poison Ivy, and Catwoman, among others. Unlike most superheroes, he does not possess any superpowers; he makes use of intellect, detective skills, science and technology, wealth, physical prowess, martial arts skills, an indomitable will, fear, and intimidation in his continuous war on crime.

Batman became a very popular character soon after his introduction and gained his own comic book title, Batman, in 1940. As the decades wore on, differing interpretations of the character emerged. The late 1960s Batman television series used a camp aesthetic which continued to be associated with the character for years after the show ended. Various creators worked to return the character to his dark roots, with varying results. The comic books of this dark stage culminated in the acclaimed 1986 miniseries The Dark Knight Returns, by Frank Miller, as well as Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore and Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, among others. The overall success of Warner Bros.' live-action Batman feature films have also helped maintain public interest in the character.

Pulp Influences
Batman as a character was heavily influenced by Pulp magazines, cheaply-printed prose magazines that were a popular form of mass entertainment in the first half of twentieth century. Pulp genres varied from romance to horror, but mysterious heroes featured heavily. And as Bill Finger later said, Batman was originally written in pulp style. One famous Pulp character that inspired both Finger and Kane - in different medias - was The Shadow. Finger liked the magazine version of the character: a gun toting no nonsense crime fighter whose real identity was a mystery. Kane preferred the radio version of The Shadow: a wealthy playboy named Lamont Cranston who had the hypnotic power "to cloud men's minds," so they couldn't see him.

Character Evolution

Golden Age

Golden Age Batman
During the Golden Age of Comics, when he was first introduced, Bruce Wayne was already the vigilante known as Batman. Batman's first appearance was in Detective Comics #27. In Detective Comics #33, the origin of the character was told. Bruce Wayne was the son of Thomas Wayne and his wife, Martha Wayne. His parents were wealthy philanthropists in the high society of Gotham City. Bruce grew up in Wayne Manor and experienced a privileged life until one fateful night. Bruce and his parents went to the movies and were walking home when suddenly they were confronted by a small-time crook carrying a gun named Joe Chill. At first, Chill demanded Martha's jewellery, but he ended up shooting both of Bruce's parents. After the deaths of his parents, Bruce swore to rid Gotham City of evil forever. He began an intense mental and physical training and mastered many skills including martial arts, criminology, and escape artistry.

Upon completing his training Bruce realized that his skills alone were not enough to do the job; he needed the criminals to fear him. That was when a bat flew through the window, scaring Bruce. He was inspired by the symbolism of the bat and used this to become Batman. Batman witnesses the death of the Flying Graysons, high-flying acrobats that were killed by mobsters after the owner of the circus refused to pay "protection money" for the crooks to be their bodyguards. Bruce takes in young Dick Grayson as his ward and trains him as his sidekick, Robin. Bruce and Dick first hunt down and defeat Tony Zucco, the crime boss that was responsible for the deaths of John and Mary Grayson. It is never stated why Bruce took in Dick, but it could be due to how Dick lost his parents at a young age just like Bruce. Together the " Dynamic Duo" face off against many enemies such as the Riddler, Scarecrow, Penguin and the Joker.

Batman eventually becomes one of the founding members of the Justice Society Of America. Batman continued working with the Gotham City Police Department in fighting crime and is later legally deputized as a civilian police agent. Later Alfred Pennyworth is introduced and serves as his butler. Alfred eventually learns the identities of the Dynamic Duo and aids them in keeping their identity safe. Love interest Vicki Vale debuted during the 1940's as one of the numerous "flavors of the month" for Bruce Wayne. Vicki was created as a mirror of Lois Lane of Metropolis. She often spends her time trying to figure out the identity of Batman. Whenever she got close to figuring out Batman was Bruce Wayne, Batman would often trick her into believing he was not Bruce Wayne. This was a common occurrence in the golden age (secret identities nearly being found out.) Batman was first portrayed as a cold-blooded vigilante who was willing to use a gun and kill his enemies to rid the city of crime. However, DC comic's new editor, Whitney Ellsworth, enlisted a moral code for Batman, preventing him from ever killing or using a gun.

Silver Age

Silver Age Batman
During the Silver Age DC Comics introduced the Multiverse continuity to its characters. It established the fact that all the Batman stories told during the Golden Age actually took place on Earth-Two. The Earth-Two Batman marries Catwoman and fathered a daughter named Helena Wayne who grows up to be the Huntress. Earth-Two Batman retires to take the job as Commissioner of the GCPD. Dick Grayson of Earth-Two became a lawyer with his own practice and continued his career as the Earth-Two Robin. Eventually he dies during his final adventure against a criminal named Bill Jensen who had acquired superpowers. Batman's back story was expanded upon to include his uncle, Philip Wayne, who raised Bruce for a while after his parents' deaths. He also had an older brother named Thomas Wayne Jr. who had to be institutionalizes after the death of Thomas and Martha. In addition, it was revealed that his parents' killing had not been chance, but an assassination ordered by gangster Lew Moxon.

As a child, Bruce's father had worn a bat costume (similar to Batman's future costume) to a masquerade party, where he encountered and stopped the mobster. Moxon swore revenge against Dr. Wayne, and hired Joe Chill to orchestrate the "mugging" that would result in their deaths. At some point in Bruce's training, he wears a costume similar to the future Robin's and is trained by Harvey Harris, a Gotham City Police detective. During this time Batman would regularly team up with other heroes to fight evil (these adventures were published in World's Finest Comics from the 1950's through the 1980's), and many of the team-ups featured Batman, Superman and, occasionally, Robin and led to the formation of the Justice League of America.

After Robin (Dick Grayson) sustains an injury, Batman insists on going without a sidekick. Dick leaves to attend college and moves out of Wayne Manor. Batman primarily works solo but occasionally teams up with Robin and Batgirl. It was during this period where Batman starts becoming a bit darker (partly due to the loss of Robin's presence, but mainly because times were changing in the real world). Violent crimes increase in Gotham and the Joker returns with a darker, more sadistic nature (i.e. he was starting to kill his victims)

The Batman also comes face to face with Ra's al Ghul, the Demon's Head. Ra's has lived for over 600 years and is one of the few people who deduces that Bruce Wayne is Batman. Ra's saw their ideals as being the same, but the two became rivals quickly when Batman realized that Ra's did not value the lives of others as he did. During this time Bruce's older brother, Thomas Wayne, Jr., reappears. Thomas becomes an assassin, but his body was taken over by the anti-hero Deadman. Batman was able to remove Deadman from his brother's body, but Thomas soon dies trying to save his younger brother's life. Batman later quit the Justice League to form his new group called the Outsiders. Batman leads the group for a while, but he eventually quit the Outsiders as well.

Modern Age

Modern Age Batman
After the story called Crisis on Infinite Earths, the Batman of Earth-Two was erased from history. DC Comics attempted to reboot many major characters' origins including Batman. The re-tooled history was recounted in Frank Miller's run on the Batman: Year One story arc, or, at least the more serious, less campier sides of The Dark Knight. This made Batman darker and more believable and showed how much Batman dominates Bruce Wayne's psychology, so much so that Bruce has fully transformed into the Dark Knight, both physically and mentally. The character of Jim Gordon was portrayed in greater detail, and the corruption of the Gotham City Police Department was more pronounced, giving more of a reason for Gotham City to need Batman. Dick's back story remains the same, but Jason Todd's origin was changed, turning the boy into the orphan son of a petty crook, who tries to steal the tires from the Batmobile. Philip Wayne and Thomas, Jr. were removed from continuity (up until the New 52 Relaunch where different versions of both characters returned) and Bruce was raised by his father's trusted friend and butler, Alfred Pennyworth.

In addition, Batman was no longer a founding member of the Justice League. During the Son of the Demon story arc, Batman marries Talia, and she becomes pregnant with their child. When Talia was attacked, Batman nearly dies trying to save her. Talia concludes that she was a hindrance to Batman and pretends to have a miscarriage. The two annulled their marriage, but Talia delivered the baby and gave him up.

In the new continuity, Dick Grayson retires as Robin to become Nightwing and Batman ends up recruiting orphan Jason Todd as the new Robin. However, Jason is later killed by Joker causing Batman to become darker and almost self-destructing. However, a young boy by the name of Tim Drake, who idolized both Batman and the original Robin, came to Nightwing, having cleverly deduced their secret identities, and pleads with him to help Batman because he needs a Robin. However, with Jason's death a heavy burden on his shoulders, Batman no longer wants a sidekick, but Tim's tenacity and courage end up winning him over after Tim manages to save both Batman and Nightwing from a death-trap orchestrated by Two-Face. Batman agrees to train Tim, and finally after long and grueling training sessions, Tim Drake becomes the new Robin.

In the Knightfall storyline's first phase, the new villain Bane paralyzes Batman, leading Wayne to ask Azrael to take on the role. After the end of "Knightfall," the storylines split in two directions, following both the Azrael-Batman's adventures, and Bruce Wayne's quest to become Batman once more. The story arcs realign in "KnightsEnd," as Azrael becomes increasingly violent and is defeated by a healed Bruce Wayne. Wayne hands the Batman mantle to Dick Grayson (then Nightwing) for an interim period, while Wayne trains to return to the role.

The 1994 company-wide crossover Zero Hour changes aspects of DC continuity again, including those of Batman. Noteworthy among these changes is that the general populace and the criminal element now considers Batman an urban legend rather than a known force. Similarly, the Waynes' killer is never caught or identified, effectively removing Joe Chill from the new continuity, rendering stories such as "Year Two" non-canon.

Batman once again becomes a member of the Justice League during Grant Morrison's 1996 relaunch of the series, titled JLA. While Batman contributes greatly to many of the team's successes, the Justice League is largely uninvolved as Batman and Gotham City face catastrophe in the decade's closing crossover arc. In 1998's "Cataclysm" storyline, Gotham City is devastated by an earthquake and ultimately cut off from the United States Government afterwards. Deprived of many of his technological resources, Batman fights to reclaim the city from legions of gangs during 1999's "No Man's Land".

Meanwhile, Batman's relationship with the Gotham City Police Department changed for the worse with the events of "Batman: Officer Down" and "Batman: War Games/War Crimes"; Batman's long-time law enforcement allies Commissioner Gordon and Harvey Bullock are forced out of the police department in "Officer Down", while "War Games" and "War Crimes" saw Batman become a wanted fugitive after a contingency plan of his to neutralize Gotham City's criminal underworld is accidentally triggered, resulting in a massive gang war that ends with the sadistic Black Mask the undisputed ruler of the city's criminal gangs. Other troubles come for Batman in the form of Lex Luthor (secretly behind the events of "No Man's Land"), who seeks revenge for Bruce Wayne cancelling all of his company's government contracts upon Luthor being elected President of the United States. Luthor arranges for the murder of Batman's on-again, off-again love interest Vesper (introduced in the mid-1990s) during the "Bruce Wayne: Murderer?" and "Bruce Wayne: Fugitive" story arcs. Though Batman is able to clear his name, he loses another ally in the form of his new bodyguard Sasha, who is recruited into the organization known as "Checkmate" while stuck in prison due to her refusal to turn state's evidence against her employer. While he was unable to prove that Luthor was behind the murder of Vesper, Batman does get his revenge with help from Talia al Ghul in Superman/Batman #1-6: not only does he bring down Lex Luthor's Presidency but also engages in a hostile take-over of Luthor's corporate holdings, bankrupting the villain in the process.

Meanwhile, with Tim Drake finally the new Robin, unknown to Batman, Jason Todd is secretly recovered by Ra's Al Ghul. While the return was a success it also had repercussions. Jason Todd was alive, but he was without emotion and pain. When Ra's told Talia that the plan to bring back Jason was a failure; he told her to kill him. Growing an attachment to Jason, Talia decided to take drastic measures and dumps him into the Lazarus Pit a second time. This time it brought back all of his memories, emotions, and pain back into his life. Talia decides to start training him to be ready to finally kill Bruce Wayne and the Joker. Jason is seen telling Thomas Elliot (better known as Hush) the true identity of Batman. Jason eventually fights Bruce and the Joker and fails to kill either of them. Also during this time side adventures of Superman/Batman were created. This had some connection to main Batman/Superman continuity, but always had its own stories.

Major Story Arcs

Some of the major story arcs of Batman have been Hush, Knightfall and No Man's Land. For a full list of Batman's key story arcs please visit the Batman story arc page. The story arc Knightfall was significant because it was the first time Batman was clearly defeated. His back broken by Bane, Batman relinquishes the cowl to another man, Azrael, who becomes Batman for a time. However, due to him being insane, Bruce Wayne has to intrust the Batman mantle to his ward, Dick Grayson, until he comes back fully recovered. If Someone Said

The Man Who Laughs

Gotham got it's first taste of the Joker when an abandoned warehouse full of mutilated bodies with a grin on their faces were found by the police. The Batman is at work tracking down the killer when the Joker himself appears on live TV, on a news report on Arkham Asylum, killing the reporter with his mysterious laughing venom and predicting the deaths of some of the richest individuals in Gotham. Bruce suspects if the joker is a deformed version of the Red Hood, a criminal who fell into chemical waste while being engaged by Batman. The Joker carries out his hits as promised, using his venom, despite Batman's efforts to stop him. The city is thrown into chaos when he invades a prison facility and sets its inmates free, providing them with weapons and killing all of its guard personnel in the process. The criminals wreak great havoc throughout the city but is apprehended by Batman. Joker's next target is Bruce Wayne. The Wayne manor is under strict surveillance and guard by the police making Bruce Wayne unable to act as Batman. He secretly injects himself with some of Joker's venom he had gathered. The venom takes instant effect and Bruce is rushed to the hospital. But on the way, Alfred administers him with the antidote he had made after careful study and as Bruce recover, he understands the Joker's true plan. He had gained an understanding of what drives the Joker while under the effects of the venom and realised Bruce Wayne's assassination is only a divertion from his real mission, which is killing everyone in Gotham. And the easiest way for that would be poisoning Gotham's water reservoir, which Batman deduces from the clues he had gained in the last few days while tracking the Joker. He finds and stops Joker at the reservoir and refrains from killing him. The Joker is put in the reopened Arkham Asylum.

The Long Halloween

Batman, Jim Gordon and Harvey Dent
In Batman's early years, his main objective was to take down Gotham's biggest crime lord Carmine "The Roman" Falcone. To do this, Batman required the help of two of Gotham's finest, "hero cop" Jim Gordon and District Attorney Harvey Dent. Despite dealing massive blows to the criminal empire, the Roman still stood tall until a killer by the name of Holiday started making his move and killing a member of the Falcone Crime family on every occasion.

Over the course of the story, the trio's morals are put into question, notably Dent's, who has let it be known that he does not care for the deaths of criminals and even contemplated stealing some of the weakened Roman's money. Jealous by the attention Holiday has received, the Joker attempts to release his gas on Gotham Square at New Year's Eve to kill everyone in attendance, and hopefully Holiday but he is stopped by Batman.

Desperate to save his crumbling empire, the Roman seeks the help of the super-villains Poison Ivy and Riddler, the former to try to persuade Bruce Wayne into signing in with the Roman as a business partner and the latter to try to figure out who Holiday is, both of which were unsuccessful. Later on, it is revealed that Dent was in possession of the same type of gun that was used in the Holiday murders, turning him into a prime suspect. Despite Gordon's suspicions, Batman refuses to believe that his friend, who shares his love for justice, would be a killer. On the Roman's birthday, Sal Maroni, Falcone's rival, is set to testify against Carmine, prosecuted by Dent. Just as things seemed to go Dent's way, Maroni ends up throwing acid in the attorney's face, physically and mentally scarring him. After being rushed to the hospital, Harvey escapes in a crazed state and kills a doctor. Gordon moves Maroni to a new cell, suspecting that he may be Holiday's next target.

Surely enough, Holiday makes his move and kills Maroni and just as he is about to kill Gordon, who was escorting the gangster, Batman appears just in time to save his friend and take down the killer, who is revealed to be Falcone's son, Alberto, who holds a grudge against his father for neglecting him and keeping him out of the family business. A while later, Dent makes his return, with half his face disfigured, now calling himself Two-Face. He regroups all the costume freaks including Joker, Scarecrow and Poison Ivy, among others and bursts into the disgraced Roman's penthouse to signify the change that has come to Gotham. Batman appears and takes down the villains with the exception of Dent who holds Falcone hostage. Despite Batman's pleads, Two-Face ends up killing Falcone and then surrenders himself. In the end, when confronted by Batman and Gordon, Dent claims that his methods were the most effective in taking down Falcone. Despite witnessing the corruption of their friend, Batman and Gordon's resolve remains strong and they both vow to never give up on ridding Gotham of evil.

Dark Victory and Robin

Batman & Robin - The Dynamic Duo
In the aftermath of the story called The Long Halloween, Falcone's daughter, Sofia Gigante has taken over the family business and vows to kill Two-Face who managed to escape from Arkham Asylum. Meanwhile, a killer by the name of Hangman has been killing various cops and implying that Two-Face is responsible. A gang war erupts between the crime families and the costumed freaks, recruited by Two-Face, and in the crossfire, circus acrobats, the Flying Graysons are killed by Falcone associate, Tony Zucco, leaving the performers' son, Dick, an orphan. Feeling sympathy for the child and remembering his own trauma, Bruce Wayne adopts Dick as his son. However, since Bruce was too busy trying to stop the war as Batman, Dick would often sneak out at night looking for his parent's killer. A terrified Tony Zucco, who knows that Batman is looking for him, is confronted by Dick and due to his poor health, ends up dying of a heart attack. Realizing the boy's vigilante tendencies, Bruce reveals his identity and decides to train him in order to avoid his death. It is later revealed that Hangman is actually Sofia Gigante and sets Gotham on fire to bring Dent out of hiding but before she could kill him, Batman saves him, giving Dent the opportunity to kill her and escape into the sewers with the rest of the super-villains with Batman in pursuit. In the climatic battle, Two-Face and his villainous group find themselves in the bat-cave but Dick's presence prevented them from discovering Batman's secret. Batman and Dick end up fighting off and defeating the villains once and for all. In the end, Batman offers Dick a chance to live a normal life away from vigilantism, but Dick insists, and so, he becomes Robin, assisting Batman in his war on crime, and thus the Dynamic Duo was born.

Tales of the Ghul

Batman passes Ra's Al Ghul's test
While trying to stop the criminal Doctor Darrk, who was leading the League of Assassins at the time, Batman meets the enigmatic Talia Al Ghul, who was kidnapped by Darrk in an attempt to blackmail her father, the wealthy Ra's Al Ghul. Batman saves Talia who ends up falling for the Dark Knight. One night, Batman discovers that Robin has been kidnapped and then, Ra's Al Ghul, who has used his immense resources to discover Batman's secret identity, appears to him in the Bat-Cave to ask for his help, as his daughter has also been kidnapped, possibly by the same person who kidnapped Robin. The two work together and, accompanied by Ra's' faithful bodyguard Ubu, travel the world looking for the kidnapper. As Batman solves various puzzles and obstacles thrown in his path, after finding both Talia and Robin, deduces that Ra's was behind the entire ordeal as a personnel test, which Ra's declares he has passed. After defeating Ubu and the rest of the League of Assassins, who are under Ra's' command, the old man reveals that this machination took place because he was in need of a successor, and Batman has proven himself worthy of that position as well as the affections of his only daughter, Talia. However, Batman sees him as a dangerous criminal mastermind and vows to stop him at all costs.

Batman vs Ra's Al Ghul
In his crusade to take down the criminal mastermind, he discovers in the story that Ra's has lived for centuries due to the mystical Lazarus Pit, which restores Ra's youth as well as give him immense strength that allowed him to defeat Batman in a fight. In his pursuit of Ra's and his league, Batman finds himself in Nanda Parbat where Ra's challenges him to a sword-fight. After fighting to a stalemate, a scorpion stings Batman, leaving him incapacitated. Though Ra's sees Batman as a worthy foe, but because he refused his offer, he leaves him to die. However, Talia, still having feelings for the Dark Knight, gives him a final kiss which contained the antidote. Batman recovers from the scorpion's poison, and in a fit of rage, confronts Ra's, who was immobilized with fear at the sight of the recovered vigilante, and defeats him in decisive fashion. He then spends the night with Talia and then proceeds to take a humbled Ra's to jail.

Just Another Kid on Crime Alley

Batman meets Jason Todd
During an encounter with the Joker, Robin is seriously wounded and the media believes him to be dead. Worried for Dick's safety, Batman decides to keep it that way and retires the Robin mantle, but Dick's insists that he will remain a crime-fighter and he would later on become the super-hero known as Nightwing. On the anniversary of his parents' death, Batman, as is his tradition, keeps watch over Crime Alley, the site of that tragic night. However, on his way back to the Batmobile, he finds a young street orphan by the name of Jason Todd attempting to steal the tires of the car. Though impressed by the kid's courage, he decides to take him to a school for the homeless, but when it is revealed that the school housed criminals, Batman, with Jason's help, takes it down. With nowhere for Jason to go and at the risk of him becoming another criminal on the streets, Batman decides to take Jason in as his own son, and seeing his potential to be a hero and also partly due to the loneliness he experienced after Dick Grayson's departure, offers Jason the mantle of Robin, which Jason gladly accepts. Batman later discovers that Jason's mother died of an overdoes and his father was a reluctant partner of Two-Face, who ended up getting killed by the criminal. Although, Batman attempted to hide this from Robin, fearing what he may do, his faith in Jason is restored when Robin, having discovered Two-Face's acts, spared him even though he had the chance avenge his father's death. This made Batman see Jason as a worthy sidekick.

A Death in the Family

Death of Robin
As time passed, it quickly became evident to Batman that Jason was far from the ideal crime-fighter. His conduct on the field was in stark contrast to that of Batman's cold professionalism. Often he would thrust himself into exceedingly dangerous situations, endangering both student and mentor, giving vent to his inner emotions, which seemed to be dominated by rage. This became even more evident when Jason seemingly killed a criminal who had walked free after causing the death of a woman Jason was emotionally invested in. Batman soon realized Robin hadn't coped with the death of his parents, and felt it was best to make him inactive for a while and thus gave him some time to come to grips with what happened to his family. Jason opposed this but had no choice but to comply.

While walking through crime alley, his place of origin, Jason encountered an old family friend who had a few belongings of his parents safely stored away. She gave him the package, which contained his birth certificate that indicated his mother wasn't the late Catherine Todd, but there are three women who could be his mother, all three out of the country, and he left off in search of the first one, in the Middle East where he coincidentally meets up with Batman who was there tracking down the Joker. Together, they thwart the Jokers plans and takes down the terrorists, but to Jason's dismay, the suspected woman is not his mother.

The next candidate is Shiva Woosan, a deadly acquaintance of Batman, who was working with the same group of terrorists. Batman and Robin overcame her together, and after using the truth serum, it was revealed she never had any children.

They track down the next woman, Sheila Haywood, who was working in famine relief efforts in Ethiopia and it revealed that he is in fact Jason's real mother. Bruce leaves Jason to spend time with his mother while he chases after the Joker, but it is later revealed that Sheila was being blackmailed by the Joker into giving him shipments of medical supplies that he can sell in the black market while transfering his deadly Joker gas to relief destinations. Though Robin wants to go find his mother Batman orders him to stay put and wait for him until he comes back. Jason however, defies Batman's orders and leaves for the warehouse to find his mother. Jason manages to find her and reveals his secret identity to her, but she turns him over to The Joker in an attempt to save her own life. Joker savagely beats Jason with a crowbar, then detonates an explosive that kills both Jason and his mother.

Batman arrives just as the explosion goes off, and as he searches through the rubble, he finds, to his horror, the lifeless corpse of Jason. Batman grieves over the horrible site and vows to avenge Jason's death and take down the Joker once and for all. Batman vengefully tracks down the Joker, and though he manages stop his latest death plot, the madman escapes, ending this counter the same way as others, unresolved. Batman continues grieving over Jason's death, considering it to be his greatest failure and vows to never endanger anyone else in this line of work. Since then, he keeps Jason's costume in a glass casing in the Bat-Cave as a memorial, underneath it read "A Good Soldier".

A Lonely Place of Dying

Tim Drake the new Robin
After this tragic event, Batman became more violent and almost self-destructing when he battled crime. Tim Drake, a young boy who witnessed the death of the Graysons, noticed the dark nature of the Batman after the loss of Robin. Tim once idolized the Flying Graysons, and was in attendance when Dick's parents were killed. He also idolized Batman and Robin, as he saw them as heroes. Tim was able to deduce that Dick Grayson was in fact Robin when he noticed the costumed fighter perform an acrobatic move that only Dick could do, and knowing that the former acrobat was adopted by Bruce Wayne, he pieced things together and deduced that the millionaire is indeed Batman. He had figured out that the original Robin was Dick Grayson and thus, Bruce Wayne had to be Batman. Tim knew that Batman needed a friend in his war and after being unsuccessful in convincing Dick to return to the role, Dick petitions Bruce to train Tim to become the next Robin, in order to keep Batman sane. At first Batman refuses, vowing to never endanger anyone but himself in his war on crime. Meanwhile Two-Face is on the loose and has prepared a plot to kill Batman once and for all, and this would have happened if it wasn't for the timely intervention of Tim Drake, wearing the Robin costume with Alfred's blessing and providing the necessary distraction for Batman to defeat his foe. In the end, both Alfred and Nightwing insist that the boy is capable of doing much good, especially under the guidance of Batman, and after much reluctance, Batman ends up agreeing. After a grueling training regime, Tim finally becomes the new Robin.

Knightfall

Batman meets Bane
After a long time of hard work, Batman and Robin finally succeed in placing all of the worst villains in Arkham Asylum, and thus apparently ensuring peace for Gotham. At one point he also encounters Jean-Paul Valley who is called Azrael, a victim of "The System" who was brainwashed into becoming an assassin for the sinister order known as The Order of Dumas, but Batman comforts Valley and takes him in as an ally to fight crime alongside him and reject his previous life. Just when it seemed that Gotham was at peace, a new villain makes his way to Gotham seeking to conquer it and defeat its guardian, the Batman. The villain, known only as Bane, blows down the walls of Arkham and frees every single inmate to rage havoc on the city. Batman, who was also sick at the time, is forced to run a gauntlet of his worst enemies, putting both his body and mind to the test. After a series of plots and encounters that weigh heavily on him, mentally and physically, fighting the likes of the Mad Hatter, the Ventriloquist, Amygdala, Victor Zsasz, Firefly, Riddler, Killer Croc, Poison Ivy, Scarecrow, Joker and Two-Face, as well as encountering Bane's henchmen Zombie, Trogg and Bird, Batman finally manages to put them all back in prison however still oblivious to the mastermind behind this Gauntlet.

Broken by Bane
Batman finally returns home to rest only to be confronted by Bane, whose plan has come full circle and has come to Gotham to conquer it and defeat its protector. Though having almost no strength left, Batman accepts Bane's challenge and has one final fight. However, he is no match for this skilled foe, whose strength has also increased due to a drug known as Venom, and despite his best efforts Batman is horribly beaten and has his back broken by Bane in his own bat-cave, paralyzing him. Bane throws Batman's body in the middle of a crowded street so that everyone sees the fall of the Dark Knight. Before his identity is compromised, Alfred and Robin quickly take him back to the manor to nurse him back to health. However, his will is just as broken as his body, as he realizes that he cannot done the cowl again, and since Gotham needs a protector, he entrusts the mantle of Batman to Jean-Paul Valley and instructs a distraught Robin to be his ally.

Knightquest and Knightsend
After his back was broken, Batman was being tended to by Shondra Kinsolving, a doctor whom Bruce met before and the two shared romantic feelings. However, one night, Shondra was kidnapped along with one of her patients, Jack Drake, Robin's father, and so, despite being in a wheelchair, Bruce, along with Alfred go after the kidnappers, and track them down to London, leaving Gotham under the care of Robin (who is oblivious to his father's kidnapping) and the new Batman. It is revealed in the story that Shondra was kidnapped by her brother Asp who intended to use her powers for his own gain. Bruce is caught in a telepathic exchange between Shondra and Asp, and the energy released causes Bruce to regain mobility of his legs. Now healed, he defeats Asp and saves Drake and Shondra, but the doctor's mental state was regressed to childhood due to the drugs given to her by her brother and she loses all memory of their relationship. Preparing to get back into shape and regain his strength, Batman seeks the help of the skilled martial artist Lady Shiva who agree with the condition that he must kill. After several weeks of intense training, when it was time for Batman to kill, he refuses, causing Shiva to send various skilled assassins after him to force his hand. Bruce defeats the assassins and appears to kill the final one, much to Shiva's delight. However, he used a technique that appears to be lethal even though it's not. With his strength now regained, Batman is ready to come back to Gotham.

Batman vs Batman
Meanwhile, back in Gotham, Paul, now operating as Batman, attempts to track down Bane, who has now taken control of Gotham's underworld. However, Paul's brainwashing by the Order resurfaces, causing him to become more violent and to start losing control over his sanity. Donning a new tech heavy costume and refusing Robin as a partner, Jean-Paul becomes a much darker and violent Batman and eventually manages to defeat Bane and end his reign of terror. As the new Batman watches over Gotham, his vicious and reckless methods became intolerable by Robin, especially when he caused the deaths of the villain the Abattoir and his victims. When Robin tried to reason with him, Valley lashed out on him, almost killing him as he now considers himself to be superior to the real Batman. When Batman returns, having healed from his back injury, Jean-Paul tried to kill him to prove his superiority but Batman defeats and tricks him into removing his costume, thereby getting rid of "the system" in his head. Humbled and regretting his actions, Jean-Paul admits to Bruce that he is the one and only Batman and vows to redeem himself in his eyes. Though having regained the use of his legs, Batman decides to travel the world to fully regain his strength, and in his absence gives the mantle to the man he should have given it to in the first place, Nightwing, until he comes back.

No Man's Land

Batman watches his city in ruins
Gotham is struck by a massive Earthquake, one which claims the lives of many people in Gotham. Batman had anticipated the arrival of an earthquake and had all Wayne-funded buildings be protected from such an event, including Oracle's Watchtower and Tim Drake's home, however, his own house did not receive such protection because that may compromise his identity as Batman. Bruce and Alfred barely survive the earthquake, and once out of the rubble, Batman watches in horror his city in ruins and there's nothing he could do about it. With most of the city destroyed, criminals run rampant around the remains and chaos ensues to the point where Gotham is declared a No Man's Land by the government and it is cut off from the rest of the country. Batman travels to Washington, and as Bruce Wayne does his best to convince congress to help the city he loves, but he fails to do so, causing him to be distraught and almost loses all hope himself in exile until he is motivated back into action by Talia Al Ghul.

Batman marks his territory in NML
Meanwhile in Gotham, with very limited food and resources, new rules are applied and the criminals divide the city into territories and use spray paint to claim ownership of said territories. Members of the GCPD that stayed in Gotham are now known as the Blue boys and they try to maintain order in Gotham. Others join the fight as well, including Oracle, who monitors the entire city and serves as information broker while Helena Bartinelli aka the Huntress, dons a Batman inspired costume to be more effective as a crime-fighter. Batman eventually returns and adapts to the new rules of Gotham, using spray paint to mark his territory and does everything he can to help his city. He allows Huntress to operate as Batgirl for a while until Two-Face's gang invades his territory and kill several people. Helena was forced to flee and when she refuses to follow Batman's orders anymore, he forces her to relinquish the Batgirl mantle. When things become more dire Batman assembles all his allies including Nightwing, Robin, Jean-Paul Valley and Oracle as well as new Batgirl, the mute Cassandra Caine, who proved herself when she saved Gordon's life from her father the assassin David Caine, and they all fight to take back their city.

No Man's Land comes to an end thanks to Lex Luthor, who used legal and illegal means as well as political machinations to fund the renovation of Gotham city all in an attempt to take over himself. Batman allows Luthor to do his work while having Catwoman collect necessary evidence against Luthor regarding his illegal business, thereby preventing Lex from claiming ownership over Gotham.

Hush
Batman finds himself to be the target of a mysterious conspiracy that pits him against some of his worst villains. While giving chase to Catwoman who was under Poison Ivy's mind control, his bat-rope is cut, causing him to fracture his skull though he is eventually saved by his childhood friend and surgeon Thomas Elliot. Later on, Batman and Catwoman track down Poison Ivy to Metropolis and despite using a mind-controlled Superman against them, Batman manages to get past the Man of Steel and stop the villain. Over the course of this adventure, Batman and Catwoman start to develop a relationship and Batman even reveals his identity to her.

Later on, after encounters with Killer Croc, Ra's Al Ghul, Joker and Scarecrow, all seemingly manipulated under the same conspiracy as well as the apparent death of his friend Tommy, he is confronted by someone claiming to be Jason Todd, Batman's old sidekick who was killed years ago, however it turned out to be another ruse.

Batman meets Hush
Frustrated and desperate to know who has been manipulating all these villains, Batman investigates furthur until the villain known as Hush finally makes his presence known and reveals that he is in fact, Tommy Elliot. Tommy had always hated his parents and wanted them dead to collect his inheritance, so he staged a car accident that caused his father's death but Bruce's father managed to save his mother, and because of this Tommy held a grudge against the entire Wayne family. He faked his death using Clayface to throw Batman off his trail, as he was the mastermind behind the entire ordeal. After the intervention of Gordon and a recovered Harvey Dent, Hush falls into a river and manages to escape.

In the aftermath, Batman learns that Riddler was the one who told Hush his secret having learned it after using the Lazarus Pit to cure himself from cancer. However, Batman warns Riddler that if he ever decides to reveal this information again, he will feel the wrath of Ra's Al Ghul, ensuring his silence. After all these events, Batman has become more suspicious, causing him to drive Catwoman away as he won't allow himself to fall in love again.

War Drums and War Games

The new Batman and Robin
When Tim Drake's father discovers his alter-ego, Tim is forced to retire as Robin and Batman goes back to working alone, that is until Stephanie Brown, aka the young vigilante known as Spoiler and Tim's ex-girlfriend, petitions to be the next Robin, and though reluctant at first, as he previously didn't see her as hero material, Bruce ends up accepting with the condition that she follow his every order. After training her, he hands her a costume and she officially becomes the fourth Robin. Stephanie's infectious energy and enthusiasm grows on Batman and he starts to see her as a worthy partner until she disobeys an order and he fires her. Determined to win back Batman's trust, Stephanie steals from the Bat-cave one of his contingency plans that was supposed to take place in case crime in Gotham got too out of control. The plan, which she put into motion behind Batman's back, dealt with unifying all the Gotham crime-families under one man, Matches Malone. What Stephanie didn't know was that Malone is actually one of Batman's underground alter-egos, and because Malone was not present at the staged meeting between crime-lords, things went awry and a huge gang war raged in Gotham, causing the deaths of many. Batman attempts to put his underground ally, Orpheus, as the leader of all the gangs, but the Black Mask makes his move, kills Orpheus and becomes Gotham's kingpin of crime instead. Another consequence of this war was Stephanie Brown's death after intense tortures at the hands of Black Mask. Batman was at her side in her last moments, and comforted her with the fact he's proud of her right before she died.

Under the Red Hood

Batman vs Red Hood
After the recent war, Batman has lot too much. Robin, Batgirl and Oracle have left Gotham City, Stephanie Brown is dead, Nightwing is injured, the GCPD sees Batman as a criminal and the Black Mask controls all crime in Gotham. However, a mysterious figure known as The Red Hood has been making his move on Black Mask's operations and taking control of his gangs. While intercepting one of Black Mask's shipments, Batman and Nightwing encounter Red Hood for the first time, and as they chase after him, they encounter the cyborg Amazo, which they barely manage to defeat. The Red Hood then steals another one of Mask's shipments tries to blackmail him, but the meeting turns sour with Freeze and Batman and Nightwing getting involved, and all the villains end up escaping. However, during the battle, Batman is intrigued by Red Hood's skills, as he sees something familiar.

While intercepting another one of Black Mask's operations, Red Hood is confronted by Batman where they fight to stalemate. Red Hood finally takes off his mask and to Batman's shock, he is in fact, Jason Todd, the Robin who apparently died many years ago and even gives him samples of his DNA to prove it before escaping. It is revealed in the story that Jason came back after he dipped in a Lazarus Pit. After this revelation, Alfred offers to remove Jason's memorial from the Cave, but Batman refuses, claiming that the recent developments don't change anything.

After Red Hood blows up Black Mask's penthouse, the desperate crime lord seeks the help of Deathstroke of the Secret Society, who sends Hyena, Captain Nazi and Count Vertigo to kill the Red Hood. Batman intervenes and together they manage to take down the trio of super-villains, but not without Red Hood killing one of them and escaping.

After tricking Black Mask into killing the rest last of his lieutenants, Red Hood, who has been holding the Joker as a hostage, challenges Batman to come to Crime Alley to end things once and for all. After apprehending Black Mask, Batman complies and meets up with Jason. After an intense back and forth fight, Batman defeats Jason and apologizes for failing him. Disgusted, Jason reveals that the reason he holds a grudge against Batman is because he never killed Joker to avenge his death. He then holds Joker hostage and throws Bruce a gun, and challenges him to make a choice: either kill Joker or kill him. Batman refuses both choices and ends up incapacitating Jason with a Batarang. An ecstatic Joker ends up blowing the entire place and in the aftermath, Jason manages to escape.

Infnite Crisis
Bruce also becomes more suspicious of other heroes, creating a super satellite called Brother Eye, which is stolen and eventually causes the death of Ted Kord. Things then hit a personal low for Bruce during the story Infinite Crisis when he almost murders megalomaniac Alex Luthor. Bruce realizes his morality is at an all time low and decides to take a sabbatical from fighting crime.

In recent years after cleansing himself of personal demons and returning to his role as Batman, he discovers he had a son with his old-flame-turned-enemy Talia named Damian. Soon Bruce is tested in new ways both by a conspiracy to kill him and a journey through time caused by Darkseid. During this period Bruce is assumed dead leaving Dick Grayson and Damian to become the new Batman and Robin in his absence.

Batman Inc.
With Damian as Robin and Dick as Batman, Tim Drake decides to leave his Robin mantle and find clues to prove that Bruce was not dead, but lost in time. He proves his theory by becoming Red Robin, a mantle that was used by Jason Todd years ago. After surviving his journey of time trials, Bruce Wayne had returned with a greater sense of responsibility and decides to take his crime fighting mission on a global scale with an organization called Batman Incorporated while Dick and Damian remain protectors of Gotham and also dedicated members to Batman Inc. Over the course of this series, it has become clear that Bruce's reasons for forming an international army of Batmen has been to combat a old global brain washing terrorist force called Leviathan.

In August 2011 the series Batman Incorporated will conclude as part of DC's Revamp. That August, DC also cancelled the both the long running series, Batman and Detective Comics and relaunched both titles in new volumes as well as relaunchs of Batman and Robin and Batman: The Dark Knight. Batman, Inc. resumed its story in early 2012.

Final Crisis

Batman shoots Darkseid
During Darkseid's attack on Earth, Batman gets captured by the possessed Alpha Lantern Boodika. Batman is experimented on by Darkseid's followers who aimed to create an army of cloned Batmen that would serve Darkseid.

Batman escapes from captivity and uses the time-gun Darkseid killed Orion with to shoot the Lord of Apokolips with a radion bullet, fatally wounding him and paving the way for his defeat. However, Darkseid manages to strike Batman with his Omega Beams, seemingly killing Wayne. In reality, the Omega Beams had banished Bruce to the early prehistoric age, forcing him to periodically time-travel and build up enough energy to become a living bomb that would unravel time when it detonated.

The Return of Bruce Wayne

In 2010, after one year there was still no Batman. We see Bruce Wayne who suffered from amnesia in a cave back in prehistoric time, and he saw Anthro son and his son Antro's grandson. They were looking for the father and grandfather. The Anthro family knew that Anthro had passed away for old age. Bruce Wayne had the beads in his hands. After they buried Anthro, savages came and attacked. Anthro's son said to Bruce Wayne to save his son, and Anthro's son was killed by Vandal Savage to protect his family. Bruce Wayne and Anthro's grandson ran as fast as they could, and Bruce Wayne was captured, but Anthro's grandson rescue him and stopped Vandal Savage's plans.

Anthro's grandson and Bruce Wayne ran, but Bruce Wayne fell off the cliff and into the water, leaving Anthro's grandson to carry on the legacy of his grandfather. Bruce Wayne woke up in the 1600's as a Quaker in New England during the witchcraft trials. Bruce Wayne dressed up in old fashioned clothes, and was taken back to get some sleep and get healed from what he went thought. Bruce Wayne saw a lady with a put ferret and they talked after he was better he went to see the town settlement and he saw some Quakers and one of his Grant Great Great Uncle's named Siles Wayne and he told him you came from Salem to get away for the witch trails. Bruce said yes that he came from Salem to get away from all of this and setter here in the small town. After all the crazy things that happened the Quakers and marched to get the girl and hang her for being a witch and after all this bats stuff happening in New Gotham and the hanging of the dead bat on the door of the church and homes the lady was hanged and Bruce Wayne Great Great Great Great Uncle Silas knew who has was and where after him to kill him. The lady said to Bruce that his family will be cursed the Wayne family will be cursed by her and there other family's too will be cursed too. Bruce escaped and fell in the water and woke up and saw ships on fire and scrammed for the lady name and it was too late. He was in a different time line and was put in a boat and he saw Captain Black Breed and was part of the crew. The crew took row boats and landed to shore and wanted to buried there treasure. Captain and his crew saw lots of bones of the first people that came here where the Europeans in the 1600's and it was the 1790's. Captain Black Beard and his crew found a place to buried his treasure and Bruce Wayne saw a crew member and talked to him about the plans that had to get ride of Black Beard. Bruce Wayne dressed up as batman just the cape and scared the Captain Black Beard and the crew and some of the crew saw a bat-cave and it had Batman real cape there and the tribe wanted Bruce Wayne instead of the crew. Some of the crew where killed by the blow darts. The Captain and one of the crew left Gotham and never to come back to this place at all. Bruce Wayne gave back the cape to a British sailor and Bruce Wayne left to carry on his life. The British sailor retired and got married and moved back to England to built a house and start a family and live the rest of his days in England and pass on. Bruce Wayne went 1880's Gotham City by riding a hoarse. Bruce Wayne dressed as a cowboy Batman and fought off criminals on the street and some people where scared of the new person that came to the town of Gotham City. Johanna Hex heard he news and wanted to kill him for his bounty hunting kills. After all that happened with the bat-book he had carry thought time and fight off gangsters. Johanna HEX had enough him and he saw that he knocked out of the gang and shot him and Bruce Wayne fell in the water and one of his ansisters left Gotham City and took a ship to Liverpool, England and never came back and Johanna Hex got his bounty money that he needed to get rid of the Batman cowboy. Bruce Wayne still in his 1880's coustume was in the 1920's after World War I and he fell down on the streets of Gotham City with blood leaking in his chess. Bruce Wayne woke up and was in the Wayne house and he saw his mother there Marta Wayne and she spend some time with Bruce Wayne and got him to meet the family and her father was paralyzed and tried to say the word it was Doctor Hurt. It rang a bell to Bruce Wayne and that his mouther and father where part of the cult group called the Black Glove and where going to kill Bruce Wayne. He was tied up and was saved by the Justice League and the Teen Titans. The Justice League in water and calmed him down and that Superman had to put his heat vishion on to get the radation out of his body. Bruce Wayne vomited all the black stuff out of his body and was better and healed up. Bruce Wayne later on went back to his Wayne Manor and to the Batcave to put his Batman costume back on and become Batman once again and help the JLA and protect the city of Gotham. Everybody was happy to have him back in action.

DC's New 52 Relaunch

Batman #1 variant by Ethan Van Sciver
DC Comics announced that starting in September 2011 a complete relaunch of all of their titles would take place. 52 new #1 titles would be relaunched throughout the monthly featuring several changes to the universe. Batman plays a key role in the relaunch, and one of the biggest changes in the universe is Bruce Wayne's return as Batman and Dick Grayson's return as Nightwing.

Batman headlined several of the relaunched titles including Batman, Detective Comics, Justice League, and Batman and Robin. He makes appearances in other books as well and was a team member of the new Justice League International.

Part of the New 52 relaunch involved a condensed timeline of the DC universe, which slightly affected Batman's origin story. Sometime after the death of his parents, Bruce left Gotham City for four years to travel the world and receive his training, including a time at a monastery in the Himalayas. During his absence, Martha Wayne's family, the Kanes, actively sought control of the Wayne estate and fortune, including Wayne Enterprises. After returning to Gotham, Bruce moved out of Wayne Manor into a brownstone in Crime Alley where he operated as a vigilante (sans Bat-persona) for about a year. During the next year, Bruce would develop the Batman persona and build a relationship with Jim Gordon, resulting in Gordon's installation of the Bat-Signal. In this period, five years before the New 52 "present day," Batman is still a lone crime fighter when he meets other superheroes with whom he eventually forms the Justice League to defeat the threat of Darkseid.

The Court of Owls
After stopping an outbreak in Arkham Asylum with Dick Grayson's help, Bruce attends a formal gathering in Wayne Manor and announces Wayne Enterprises new goal of rebuilding certain districts of Gotham City as well as improving the train system. He listens in on a conversation Commissioner Gordon is having on the phone about a murder. Leaving the party, Batman meets up with Harvey Bullock to investigate the crime scene. He discovers a message saying "Bruce Wayne will DIE tomorrow" and after returning to the Bat Cave finds out from the analysis of some DNA samples found in the area, that the killer is Dick Grayson.

The following day, while meeting up with Lincoln March, Gotham City's new mayoral candidate, for a conversation in the Old Wayne Tower, Bruce is attacked by a mysterious assassin who overpowers him and throws him off the window. Bruce struggles with the assassin in mid-air and manages to grab on to a gargoyle while the assassin falls down. He discovers that his attacker is an assassin sent by the Court of Owls known as the Talon, but does not believe it as the Court of Owls is simply an old nursery rhyme.

Batman manages to escape from a trap set by the Court of Owls during his investigation into whether they really exist or not. After returning to the Bat Cave, he tells Dick of how he investigated the existence of the Court some time after the death of his parents and discovered nothing. Continuing his investigation in the sewers of Gotham City, Batman is suddenly knocked out by the Talon; after waking up, he finds himself trapped in the Court's labyrinth.

Batman has been missing for days, but Commissioner Gordon refuses to turn the Bat Signal off, using it as a source of hope for their allies and Gotham City. Batman is unable to escape the labyrinth and keeps finding himself returning again and again to the same places and is slowly being driven insane. The Talon then suddenly attacks Batman. Beaten and battered, all hope seems lost for Batman, but he manages to fight back and eventually finishes of the Talon. He finally escapes the labyrinth through an opening he created that leads to and returns to the Bat Cave through the sewers.

The Night of Owls
Soon after escaping the labyrinth, the Court of Owls sends out all of their Talons to attack the public figures of Gotham City in order to take it back. In the Bat Cave, Bruce reveals to Nightwing that the Talon who attacked him is William Cobb, Dick's great-grandfather, as well as the fact that he was meant to be a Talon as well.

Numerous Talons attack Bruce as he maneuvers around Wayne Manor to reach the Bat Cave. Once there, more Talons arrive and eventually corner him and Alfred into the armory where they lock themselves in. Bruce exits the armory wearing a special armor and tells the Talons to "Get the hell out of [his] house." While analyzing the data found on a Talon's gauntlet, Alfred finds a list of assassination targets for the Talons. Alfred calls the rest of the family (Red Robin, Red Hood, Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl, and the Birds of Prey), asking for their help to save Gotham City.

Batman fights off as much Talons as he can, but they eventually overpower him and are slowly destroying his armor. Then suddenly, a swarm of bats arrive and attack the Talons, saving Batman in the process and allowing him to finish off the remaining Talons. Batman goes to Arkham Asylum in order to save Dr. Arkham; Talons attack them both until the inmates are released who then proceed to attack the Talons. He then proceeds to Lincoln March's location to save him but is too late; he finds a dying March who gives him a message, the names of three members of the Court of Owls.

After scaring off one of the members of the Court in their own house, Batman goes to Harbor House, a building he investigated in search of the Court back when he was a child. He swears to end the Court of Owls once and for all. But instead of finding the members of the Court, he finds them all dead in the dining room. He realizes who was behind this attack and goes to Willowwood Home for Children, a hospital for children suffering from mental illnesses and neurological disorders. He finds an undead Lincoln March, who staged what looked to be the Court of Owls suicide. March begins to talk about their plans of training a new Talon, one with a new, modern armor able to match that of Batman's. He begins wearing the armor while Batman explains his theory that March was once an inmate in the mental hospital. March then reveals his truth: he is Bruce Wayne's brother that never was, Thomas Wayne Jr. He claims to have been placed in Willowwood, back when it was a premiere hospital, after being born early and hurt due to a car accident. After Thomas and Martha Wayne died, Willowwood lost its funding and eventually became a mental hospital for mentally ill children that it was known for the lost and forgotten children .

Batman #11 Variant Cover by Andy Clarke & Tomeu Morey
Batman and Lincoln March begin their battle; March easily brushes off all of Bruce's attack and eventually throws him through the walls and flies him around Gotham City, smashing him around onto different structures. Batman manages to plant a small bomb on March's back and stops him. March survives the explosion and manages to capture Batman once more, this time in a building where he begins to plant explosives. Batman manages to escape just in time as the explosives detonate, leaving March behind as he taunts him, telling him to run away from the truth.

Bruce has returned to Wayne Manor and is slowly healing from his wounds. He tells Commissioner Gordon that he privately searched the wreckage of the destroyed tower but didn't find anything. Dick arrives and Bruce tells him the truth: for one night, Bruce Wayne had a brother. His brother was born premature and with neurological damage and only lived for a single night. He explains his investigation on the matter, stating that the medical records were not faked and how his parents would have told him if Thomas Wayne Jr. did survive. He says that the truth is a mystery for now, until he finds the evidence that will answer it. Bruce gives some more of his insight on what has happened and declares that when the Court of Owls will reemerge, he will always be watching.

Death of the Family and the return of Clayface
After his return, the Joker broke into the GCPD to take back his face and killed 19 police officers while taunting Jim Gordon. He then proceeds to make a live broadcast saying that the mayor will die at midnight using the son of the first person joker murdered in Gotham : John Claridge. John couldn't take it anymore and begs Joker to kill him. Batman says that he'll go after him, the family offer help but batman points out that it's between him and the joker. Jim Gordon and several other police officers are at Mayor Hady's office. Hady points out that there's no way joker could have broken but Gordon says that these precautions are necessary. Gordon goes to re-check the elevators and there he finds batman who's keeping an eye on the mayor. Batman suddenly realizes that the mayor isn't the target but it's everyone else. He rushes in but it was to late, all the police officers are poisoned and fall dead. While examining the venom, batman learns that it contains three unnecessary ingredients whose initials spell A.C.E. Batman heads to the A.C.E chemical plant where the joker was disfigured. There he finds someone dressed in jokers previous identity "The Red Hood ". Batman realizes that it isn't joker and attacks but gets knocked over and falls into an empty vat that starts to fill with chemicals. The hood is revealed to be Harley Quinn who tells Batman that Joker isn't the same.

Batman manages to escape by blowing a giant hole in the vat. He goes back to Wayne Manor and learns of Alfred's kidnapping. He then finds a cassette tape bearing the brand "Gordon" that recorded the event. Batman later visits Gordon, determining he is the next target. Gordon begins to bleed uncontrollably, having been dosed with a powerful blood thinner by Joker; Batman uses a coagulant to help save his life. Knowing that the Joker is reenacting his previous crimes, Batman goes to the Gotham Reservoir, Joker reveals that Batman was too late and that he's killed several people, Batman becomes infuriated and attacks the Joker but he manages to immobilize him. Joker says that he knows who batman and his allies are but Batman believes that he's lying.

Lieutenant Bullock and the GCPD arrive at the reservoir , but the Joker's men stop them with explosives. Batman frees himself and attacks Joker, but is paralyzed by Joker venom, allowing Joker to escape. Batman is rescued by the Batman family and taken to the Batcave, where he confesses that after an early battle with the Joker, he discovered a joker playing card in the Batcave; he denies it is possible the Joker found the cave but the family remain convinced that it is how he knows their identities. Continuing his investigation, Batman interrogates an Arkham guard, who admits the Joker is waiting for Batman at the Asylum. Batman then goes to the asylum; his inner monologue reveals that the movements he had previously seen in Joker's eyes when they met indicated love.

Batman makes his way through the asylum, and is attacked by Mr. Freeze , Scarecrow and Clayface , whom Joker has labeled with their 'role' in Batman's 'kingdom'. He easily beats them and finds Joker with Two-Face, Riddler and Penguin , but before he can stop them, Joker shows him video of Robin, Red Hood, Nightwing, Batgirl and Red Robin captured. Joker orders Batman to take his place on his throne-an electric chair-to spare their lives, and Batman does so, receiving an electric shock.

Batman later wakes up to find himself in the Bat-cave. He is found sitting at a dinner table, alongside other members of the family. The Joker reveals that Alfred is alive, but poisoned by Jokers venom. Alfred then removes the curtains revealing that The Joker has preseumably cut off their faces and serving them as "dinner". The Joker then sets the table on fire, but Batman breaks free and manages to put out the fire, the joker escapes and Batman removes Damians bandages. It's revealed that it was all a sick joke and evereyone was fine. Batman goes after The Joker. After fighting for a while, Batman easily defeats the joker, and says that he's determined to finish their rivalry once and for all. Batman tells the joker that he's figured out who he is. The Joker denies it and commits suicide by jumping down. The next day, Batman says that The Joker didn't care who he was under the mask, because it would ruin his fun.

In the Batman issue 19 we see Bruce Wayne pointing a gun at Jim Gordon and shooting him and running him over with his motorcycle and leaving the crime scene. It turned out to be Clayface by the name of Baslio Kaslio who was pretending to be Bruce Wayne and framing him for Jim Gordon murder. Jim Gordon survived and is in hospital recovering. Batman knew it was Clayface all a long covering the whole thing up. Batman knew because his friend that was hit by a batdart had some blood and mud in it and Batman dna it on the Batplane and it was Clayface all the time. Bruce Wayne went in to his office and he saw his friend Louchis Foxx and his mouth opened it was mud and he attacked Bruce Wayne in his office and it was Clayface chocking Bruce Wayne and he was fighting back at Clayface for his life. Bruce Wayne fought off Clayface with his Bat-Bots and Clayface dressed up as Bruce Wayne and he stopped the Bat-Bots and he barfed up Loushis Foxx and Bruce Wayne and left them in the deep bottom flour and left them to blame Bruce Wayne from the events that happened in Batman INC and he dressed up as Bruce Wayne and left them for the police to find them. Clayface fought Bruce Wayne and he fought back and told the Bat-Robots to attack Clayface and Clayface change his face to Bruce Wayne and stopped the robots from there attack on him. Bruce Wayne attacked Clayface and ran to get his Batman costume and Clayface bet him to the punch and ate him and put him in the garbage waste where Loushis Foxx was there and Clayface left them to dressed up as Bruce Wayne to cover up all the crimes and pout him to jail. Bruce Wayne had a little secret Batman costume and he put it on and it was from the TV show like his costume from [Batman Beyond] he dressed up in it and attacked Clayface as Bruce Wayne and the police came to arrested Bruce Wayne and they where in shock to see it was Clayface the whole time. Batman and Commissioner Gordon trapped Clayface in a heard steel glass. Clayface shape change in to faces of Batman's Villain's and it shape change in to his son Damian and said words like you where a failure to me father and then Batman punched the steel glass and it was heard to break and Batman said to the police to take Clayface in the Arkhem Asylum. Batman also said there nothing there to find out what happened and he left it to the police to handle it. Batman went back to the Wayne Manor and deep in the Batcave Batman and Alfred where talking about Clayface and they where looking for something in the cave with there laser glass and could not find any part of Clayface in the cave. batman heard flashbacks voices of his son Damian and it all a memory they had before his son was killed in[ Batman INC] Batman left the cave with Alfred and went up for the night to relax from all the events happing.

Requiem
After the events with the Joker in Death in the Family and in Batman Incorporated. Damian was killed in Batman Incorporated issue 8 by The Heretic. Batman lost two members of Batman Inc., Knight and Damian his son, in the fight against the Heretc. Batman fought the Heretic and blinded him in the eyes in a fight but was eventually defeated. Thanks to the efforts of Red Robin and Nightwing, the Bat Family escaped from the Heretic and Leviathan after recovering Damian's body.

A funeral was held from Damian where Bruce Wayne told that he will get his revenge on Talia by himself, and even instructed Alfred to take a vacation.

After recovering form his injuries against the Heretic, Batman visited Azrael. It was revealed that Batman has had visions of his son from the timeline where Damian has inherited the title of Batman. Azrael also revealed several visions. At the end of their conversation, Batman obtains the Suit of Sorrows from Azrael.

Meanwhile, Gotham City has been held at ransom by Leviathan who has demanded the arrest of Bruce Wayne, the end of Wayne Corps support for Batman Incorporated and the surrender of Batman. Batman obtains from Wayne Corp labs a special exoskeleton suit, and also somehow obtains the Man-Bat serum from Dr. Langstrom. Equipping himself with his usual Bat-suit, the Suit of Sorrows, and the exoskeleton, Batman injects himself with the Man-Bat serum and travels to confront Leviathan, Talia, and the Heretic who have captured Wayne Tower. Batman and his Man-Bats army attacked Talia army and batman fought off the Heretic in a fight to the death and all of a sudden. Batman fought him off invisible with his body armor and the battle took place on the top of the building and ground and all of a sudden Batman got mad at him and told him that he killed his only son and that it was the end soon for all this that happened. Batman and the Batman Family where ready for him to come and take down Talia and the Heretic and her army and all of a sudden they saw Batman and the Heretic falling to the ground and Batman punched his steel mask off and it was a shock for everyone to see who it was in the masked. It was a boy in a adult body it was blind and it lost it right eye from battle with Batman. It Heretic fell down and got up and talked to Talia took her sword and killed decamping his head off. Batman said it was over and all of a sudden Talia got in the chopper and had a remote and blew up the Wayne Tower and the Heretic head was a bomb inside that detonated to the building. Talia chopper landed at the Wayne manor and she had hired a assassin girl to kill Batman in the Bat cave and that she had been waiting for him to come. The assassin was Talia and Batman and her fought a good fight and the international of Batman's fought off the villains. Batman and Talia where fighting and talking about Damian death and it was all played in a game of chess and it was planed from all the way to the start. Batman was badly bleeding and hurt and losing blood every minute. Talia knew she was going to win this war and take over Gotham City and the World. All of a sudden a shadow came and it was a famous face that we have not seen in the Batman comics it was Betty Kane the original Batwoman in the 1960's. She shot Talia at the top of the stairs and twice shot her at the head and she was dead. Batman thanked her for the rescue and Batman thanked his Batman Team for the battles they fought and remember those who where lost including his son Damian. Batman and the team will take a while to recover from all the things and events that happened and get everything back to normal again.

Zero Year
In this story, a young Bruce Wayne attempts to save Gotham City from the murderous group known as the Red Hood Gang. However, since Bruce has yet to establish a reputation in the criminal underworld, and has yet to turn himself into the fearsome figure of Batman, he has been having a hard time winning his war. His inexperience, carelessness and uncontrolled anger have not only stalled his mission but also strained his relationship with his faithful butler Alfred Pennyworth.

Bruce's uncle, Philip Kane, who had declared Bruce legally dead during his absence from Gotham, has taken control of Wayne Enterprises and is using it to produce weapons. In an attempt to improve the company's public image, Philip attempts to convince Bruce to take control of his family's company, but Bruce refuses, as has no interest in living as "Bruce Wayne", focusing all his attention on his war on crime. To make matters worse, the Red Hood gang is stealing the weapons produced by the company to further terrorize the city. Phil's leading strategist, Edward Nygma, the future Riddler, advises Phil to kill Bruce in order to solve their problems but Philip refuses and still tries to convince Bruce to lead the company.

For weeks, while keeping his identity as secret using sophisticated technology, Bruce has been hunting down the Red Hood Gang and sabotaged several of their operations, but failed to take them down. The gang is getting stronger and stronger, equipping themselves with Wayne Tech and causing several random acts of violence throughout the city. However, following a surprise party for Bruce by his uncle, the Red Hood Gang, thanks to a tip from Riddler, ambush Bruce and give him a vicious beating. Bruce barely makes it back to the manor where he is nursed back to health by Alfred. Enraged by Nygma's actions, Philip attempts to kill the villain, admitting that Bruce is a better man than both of them, but Riddler incapacitated Philip and ends their alliance.

Bruce comes to terms with the fact that he is losing this war and asks his father for guidance. Then a bat crashes through his window, and Bruce finally decides that he will become a Bat.

Finally realizing his purpose, Bruce and Alfred set up their base in a cave under Wayne Manor, and Bruce sets off to strike fear in the hearts of criminals as Batman. He starts by methodically taking out members of the Red Hood gang, quickly establishing his reputation and finally getting the attention of Red Hood One. While investigating the gang's operations, eventually, with some help from a guilt ridden Phillip, who was forced into becoming a member of the gang, Bruce discovers that the Red Hood gang are planning to use dangerous toxing from the Ace Chemical factory to terrorize the city. He holds a press conference in front of the factory and exposes the gang's plans, forcing them to invade the factory right away. As Batman, Bruce fights off the Red Hood gang, but not without the death of Uncle Philip, who was killed by the leader for attempting to stop him. As the GCPD round members of the gang, the factory burns down and Batman goes after the leader, preventing him from escaping and defeating him, but despite Bruce's efforts to save him, the Red Hood allows himself to fall into a large acid container.

In the aftermath, Batman continues setting up his Bat-Cave and establishing himself as a hero in Gotham. The Riddler then makes his presence known and knocks out all power from the city, in an attempt to challenge the people to get smarter.

In Nigeria a war in Africa was going on and in Gotham City after the Riddler knock out all the power to the city Metropolis aid came to help the city. Batman was driving his new Batcar in the city and the police knew he was trouble. Batman Batcar turned into a plane and flew in the sky to test his car and plane. Bruce Wayne was reading the events and all that was related to his Uncle company and the gang he deal with. Bruce Wayne came up and Jim Gordon and talked to him and he wanted to see what was underground. Jim Gordon wanted to peek and see the hole in the ground and all of a sudden Bruce Wayne press a button on his watch and the bats came out and attack Jim Gordon and Bruce Wayne told you should get that checked out at the Gotham Hospital. Bruce Wayne went to see Lucius Fox and all of a sudden he drugged Bruce Wayne and said that he was working for Dr. Death, the nightmare master leaving Bruce Wayne unconscious on the ground.

Personality

Batman
Witnessing the death of his parents traumatized Batman and shook him so greatly that he swore he would devote every breath for the rest of his life to eliminating crime and criminals from Gotham City. This has, in turn, transformed Batman into a dark, suspicious and brooding figure with a personal grudge against injustice. His traumatized childhood have made it difficult for him to trust people outside of Alfred and his sidekicks. Despite his cold demeanour, Batman genuinely cares for Alfred, who he sees as a father figure, and the Robins, who he loves as his own children, though these relationships have been strained at some points.

His dedication to fighting crime has gradually turned into a sort of obsession, something Batman himself has come to terms with. He has vowed to permanently end the evil that took away his parents, and is willing to do everything he can to accomplish this goal. This obsession is balanced with his strong ideals of justice and moral values, which were instilled to him by his humanitarian parents. His dedication is backed up by his indomitable will and his strong resolve.

Despite his lack of powers, Batman's immense will, combined with his inventive mind and resourcefulness has allowed him to hold his own against more powerful foes. However, the biggest aspect of Batman's personality is his moral code. Despite his inventiveness, he refrains from killing as he believes that will make him no better than the criminals he puts behind bars. Batman knows that he walks a very thin line between sanity and insanity, and the only thing that keep him from crossing that line is killing. He has vowed to never take a life under any circumstances because he fears what he would be come if he would ever kill. When confront by Jason Todd on why he never killed the Joker after all the atrocities that he has committed, Batman responded that, despite his desires to do so, he cannot because if he did, he would go to a dark place and become what he has always fought against, and he would never be able to come back.

Batman also has a deep love for humanity, which also backs his no killing rule, and he truly believes that deep down, people can be good. This is shown when was willing give the Joker a second chance and offered to help him cure his madness (albeit with no success). He also has an extreme distaste for firearms, and always tries to refrain from using them, because he considers them to be the weapon of cowards, the same weapon that killed his parents.

Batman also made an alternative personality to conceal his secret identity, that being the personae of "Bruce Wayne", an irresponsible, clumsy, arrogant, womanizing, billionaire philanthropist. This personality contrasts with Batman's more serious demeanour in order to sway the public from ever deducing his secret identity. In order to complete his facade, Batman modifies many of traits, including his voice tone, body language and of course his behavior. However, even as Bruce Wayne, he has attempted to do good, through charitable campaigns, renovation projects and also the funding of Batman Incorporated.

Character Profile

Real Name: Bruce Wayne

Occupation: Head of Wayne Industries, superhero/vigilante

Height: 6ft 3in

Weight: 225 lbs

Hair: Black

Eyes: Blue

Base: Gotham City

Partnerships: Nightwing, Alfred Pennyworth, Commissioner Gordon, Batgirl, Robin, Red Robin, Red Hood, Catwoman, Leslie Thompkins, Spoiler, Black Bat, Superman, Azreal, Harvey Bullock, Renee Montoya, Talia al Ghul, Man-Bat, Batwoman, Zatanna, Kathy Kane, Batmite, Ace the Bat Hound, Carrie Kelley, Wonder Woman, Creeper , Deadman, Silver St. Cloud, Julie Madison

Teams: Batman Inc., Justice League, Batman and Robin, The Outsiders, Justice Society, Mystery Analysts, Justice League International, Batman Family, Sinestro Corps

Foes: The Joker, Harley Quinn, Penguin, Riddler, Two-Face, Poison Ivy, Bane, Scarecrow, Clayface, Ra's al Ghul, Mr. Freeze, Killer Croc, Mad Hatter, Ventriloquist, Man-Bat, Talia al Ghul, Killer Moth, Hugo Strange, Court of Owls, Deadshot, Black Mask, Professor Milo, Crime Doctor, Rupert Thorne, Hush, Black Spider, Calculator, Calendar Man, Crazy Quilt, Condiment King, Cluemaster, Catman

First Appearance: Detective Comics #27 (May 1939)

Created by: Bob Kane and Bill Finger

Powers and Abilities

Though he does not posses any innate superhuman abilities, Batman is considered by many (even Superman) to be among the most dangerous men in the world. Throughout the many years that he has been around, Batman has become one of the most powerful human beings in the DC Universe, despite having no superhuman powers at any time in his life. Starting at the age of 14, Bruce began to train with brilliant minds on the planet to learn about biology, criminology, anatomy and other areas that would help him become the World's Greatest Detective.

Master of Many

Batman is also a master of stealth, disguise, and escapology, using his Ninjutsu training. He has infiltrated high security strongholds and systems including Lexcorp. He has vanished in plain sight from regular humans and metahumans, such as Azrael. His stealth skills are so great that that even groups of superheroes such as the Legion of Super Heroes have been unable to locate him. His accuracy is said to be on par with Green Arrow himself. He is the second greatest escape artist, behind Mr. Miracle. Batman has escaped a straitjacket in 52 seconds, then stated that it was too slow for him. He always carries several lock picks with him. He commonly uses disguises, his most notable one being Matches Malone.

Large Supply of Money and Resources

To acquire all of these skills, Bruce needed money. When his parents died, Bruce inherited millions of dollars from the Wayne Fortune which he later turned into billions through investing. Bruce owns and runs Wayne International, as well as Batman Incorporated.

Intelligence

Batman is considered to be the "World's Greatest Detective," solving the biggest secrets with small or large amounts of data. He's also fluent in many different languages such as English, Spanish, French, Russian, German, Japanese, Chinese, and others. Bruce has vast knowledge in criminology, psychology, medicine, and anatomy.Batman is a excellent strategist,and is always steps ahead of his opponents.This incredible ability is due to the fact he studies his opponents, not only physically but mentally as well. He has led the Justice League, the Bat-family, the Outsiders, and served as mentor for the Justice League International. He is a highly knowledgeable in business, great in finances and marketing. He has earned degrees in multiple subjects before the age of 25. He has hacked into alien and future technology.

Master Martial Artist

Batman has been said to be trained in every martial art known to man, and out of every single one of those forms of fighting he knows 127 that are deadly. These 127 are the main forms of fighting that make up his normal fighting style. He is known to change his styles in order to become unpredictable to his opponents.His primary style of combat though is a mixture of Judo, Ninjitsu, Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do, Jujitsu, Boxing, Karate and Dragon Style Kung Fu.

Batman's Daily Routine
Because of his training Batman has also mastered nearly all weapons known to man, even most firearms. Batman's combat skill surpasses most metahumans and normal men, and he even knows every pressure point and nerve strike in the human body, as well as Dim Mak ("death touch") techniques. These can cause dangerous pain to his enemies which can lead to dizziness, numbness, unconsciousness, temporary paralysis, disorientation, and even death.

Peak Human Conditioning

Due to his intense training and diet Batman has accomplished feats that normal human beings might call superhuman. Batman is in peak physical and mental condition. Batman has displayed surprising strength, and is able to bench press weight of at least 1000 pounds, and has personally stated that his maximum leg press weight is 2500 lbs (over 1.133 Kg). However, as shown in Batman Odyssey # 2, Batman was able to overcome his personal record leg press, moving, with the strength of the legs, a stuck railroad car. In Gotham After Midnight # 2, Batman was able to hold up two golden sarcophagi with the approximate weight of at least 1 ton, for at least one minute. In addition, Batman is an accomplished gymnast and acrobat, though not quite at the level of Nightwing. Batman's training and peak condition mean he's very fast, both in combat and on his feet. This speed combined with his strength, make him phenomenally powerful; even the enhanced assassin Deathstroke has commented upon the power and skill of the Batman. He once grabbed Green Arrow's arrow shot at him in mid-air and dodged point blank fire at times. He can hold his breath from 3 minutes and 15 seconds. He once survived in an airless vacuum of space for exactly 27 seconds.

Weapons and Equipment

Gadgets

Batman - David Finch
Batman is most notable for his use of gadgetry. Due to his wealth, money is no obstacle to the development of various gadgets and paraphernalia he uses in fighting crime. The most recognizable of these is the Batarang, a razor throwing weapon that has a returning ability similar to a boomerang. This was slowly replaced by his grappling hook as a favored gadget over time. Other items include smoke or flash grenades, caltrops, a re-breather, and various types of anti-venom. The heels of his boots have a sonic device which can summon a swarm of bats to his location. This allows for dramatic escapes or diversions to keep his enemies busy. Superman entrusted Batman with a Kryptonite Ring in order to stop him should he ever go rogue.

Bat-Suit

The Bat-Suit is an experimental military body armor that is too expensive for the military to produce. Various bat-suit designs have appeared over the years, but all maintain the fact that Bruce's suit is tear resistant, bulletproof, and immune to temperature extremes (will not melt if in contact with fire,etc.). The suit is shock absorbent and acid resistant. It is made to rebound punches and kicks. When he is unable to defend, his mask emits knock out gas and electrical shocks to attackers who are attempting to remove any part of his gear. The Bat-Suit has shown that it has an outer layer that can be shed when trapped, and it also masks any DNA on his suit. However, despite all this protection, the suit has shown vulnerabilities to sharp objects, like knives, and Batman has sometimes decreased the amount of armor in the suit to increase mobility. In the past, Batman wore a bright yellow chest plate with a bat-symbol on it, to distract enemies from targeting his face and instead focusing on the plate which is reinforced with kevlar, giving Batman extra protection.

Cowl
The cowl has a computer link directly to the Bat computer. The mask has a hollow bat-ear assembly containing a directional microphone, telescoping high gain antenna and a fiber optic coaxial cable. It also contains an audio processor that can transmit and receive audio which can be augmented for better hearing, or even completely shut down when dealing with an opponent that uses sonic weaponry. The cowl contains a built-in recorder that is constantly recording, and the information is stored in the cowl archives for later reference. The lens can also magnify his vision and serves also as a lie detector. They also come with x-ray, thermal, sonar, and night vision. It has face recognition and can give information about the people around him. It also protects him against throat trauma, and its internal comm-link enables voice command over various equipment including grapple hooks, face recognition softwares and vehicles.

Gloves/Gauntlet
His gloves are very handy as they come with a high velocity bat-rope, and a wrist laser. They can also emit a high voltage surge of electricity to stun enemies and shoot out the firearm spikes, smoke pellets and anaesthetic gas. Each glove has three spike coming out of them, and they can be fired at an opponent or used to defend against or even break swords.

Cape
Throughout many revisions, all the versions of Batman's cape still retain the scalloped wing design at the bottom of the cape, which is instrumental in intimidating criminals. The cape is made from a "memory fiber", which is based on a nylon derivative, allowing it to flow like any fabric, but through an electrical surge applied by Batman's gloves, it becomes stiff and takes on a distinctive shape, thus functioning in a way similar to a parachute, used to slow Batman's fall and allow him short term flight or "gliding". It is fireproof and is used to help conceal Batman in the shadows, protect him from debris as a result from explosions and it can sometimes be used as a weapon in combat.

Utility Belt

Batman's toys
Batman's Utility Belt is one of his most iconic pieces of equipment. Batman had designed the pockets to be locked, and only he knows how to open them. His belt has a security device on it where it can electrically shock someone or detonate an explosive device to prevent anyone from tampering with it. It is made of a leather strap with a solid steel buckle. There are also compartments that hold collapsible "Batarangs." Other equipment Batman carries include various kinds of venom to stun his opponents in his utility belt and boots, as seen in Batman: Year One.

It is a crime fighting kit that batman has outfitted to contain only the most advanced of technologies. Its contents include batarangs, a grappling hook, forensics kit (used on crime scenes), and electronic communicators.

Some gadgets include:

EMP emitter
Energy deflector
Demagnetizer
Magnets
Batarangs (cryogenic, explosive, electric, boomerang, and so on)
Sonic grenades
Sonic Gun
Sonic Emitter
Hard light gun
Grapple Gun
Plastique explosive
Smoke Pellets
Rocket Patch
Tranquilizer darts
Miniature explosives
Incendiaries
Anti-Fire foam gun
Gas mask
Lock Picking tool
Antidotes for poisons and Scarecrow's fear toxin
Kryptonite ring
Batmobile controller
Electrical sticks

Insider Suit
When returning from his supposed death, Bruce created the Insider Suit, which had the abilities of the Justice League members. It needs constant recharging, but can be recharged by absorbing energy attacks.

It has the following abilities:

Insider Suit
Spectral Mode: night vision, sound/light dampening
Speed Force Mode (The Flash): limited access to Speed Force, super speed
Heat Vision Mode (Superman: beams of heat)
Will Power Mode (Green Lantern): concentrated blasts of green energy
Camouflage Mode (Martian Manhunter): invisibility
Veritas Mode (Wonder Woman): cord with lie detectors and can send electrical shocks
Flight Mode
Teleportation: 3 meter radius, can carry other individuals
Special Bat Suit in "Night of the Owls"
When the Court of Owls invade Bruce's house, he wore a power suit. He states that it's made of meta-aramid fibers, stronger than Kevlar. It can endure burning heat and temperatures cold as the Arctic winter. It has enough oxygen to last weeks, powered by semi-solid flow micro battery. It can shoot electrical shocks and fire multiple cryogenic batarangs at once.

Vehicles

Bat-Boat
While he is in physical peak and has many gadgets, Batman has had numerous vehicles to help him get the jump on villains. Bat-cars, Bat-Planes, Bat-Boats, and other vehicles have been used by Batman to get to locations in record time. The most famous vehicle is the Bat-car or Batmobile. The Batmobile can drive up to mach-1. For more information on Batman's vehicles, view their individual pages.

Alternate Realities

Throughout the universe there is more than one Earth. This meaning that there are alternate timelines/futures and people that are unique in their own special way. From the events of the multiple Crisis, most of the Earths have been erased from history. Only 52 Earths remain in the entire universe.

Earth-11
On this gender-swapped Earth, Batman is Batwoman. Her real name is Helena Wayne, who is the daughter of Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle. She took up the mantle of the Bat after her father passed away.

Earth-2
On this earth, Batman retired as a police commissioner and married Selina Kyle (Catwoman). They had a daughter named Helena Wayne, also known as the Huntress.

Post-Flashpoint, Earth 2's Batman fought alongside Superman and Wonder Woman against the forces of Apokolips, and in the process died saving the planet. His daughter is transported to the main DC universe along with Earth 2's Supergirl, and there they take on the persona of the Huntress and Power Girl.

Current issues from the Earth 2 series have revealed that someone has taken up the cape and cowl of Batman. However this new Batman uses gadgets designed to kill and has been shown to be more than willing to kill criminals with rather brutal force.

Earth-3
On this third Earth, Bruce Wayne is actually Thomas Wayne, Jr. He is the son of the wealthy/powerful Thomas and Martha Wayne. This Earth did have a Bruce Wayne in the family, Thomas Wayne, Jr.'s little brother, however after the multitudes of crisis that have happened in the DC Universe, he was erased from continuity. Instead Thomas Wayne, Jr. is the mirror reflection of Bruce Wayne/Batman of New Earth. Thomas Wayne Jr.'s parents died and he inherited their fortune. He decided to train with assassins, mercenaries and masters of various skills to be a force of evil. As an adult Thomas Wayne, Jr. finds out that his father survived and is the Commissioner of the Gotham City police force. Thomas Wayne, Sr. knows that his son is Owlman and has decided to dedicate his life at bringing his son to Justice. Thomas Wayne Jr. hates his father for this and wants to kill him. He is the founder/leader of the Crime Syndicate.

Earth-1
Retelling the story of Bruce Wayne and his transformation from billionaire playboy to Dark Knight, creator/writer Geoff Johns recreates Batman's origin to go along with the Earth-1 story line. Earth-1 is to not be considered the "main Earth" or New Earth as it is called, however Bruce will be traveling around the world in search for retribution for his parents death. This story came out in late 2011, with artist Gary Frank also working on the Graphic Novel.

This story begins with Batman chasing after a cop named Jacob Weaver on the rooftops because Batman thinks that Jacob is somehow connected with the murder of his parents, Thomas and Martha Wayne. Since Weaver is a great distance away, Batman uses his grappling gun to catch him. But when he fires, the spool of wire gets tangled inside the gun, making it useless. Agitated, Batman throws the gun on the ground and continues to chase after Weaver. Jacob manages to climb up a staircase but the screw break. He somehow manages to jump on the other rooftop opposite of Batman. When Batman tries to get across, he leaps towards the roof but didn't reach. Batman then falls straight towards the ground, landing on trash cans and garbage. When Batman leaves his alleyway he falls into, he sees a poor, old frightened woman. Batman pulls money out of a pocket in his utility belt, gives it to the old woman, and leaves. A flashback occurs when we see a younger Alfred standing outside Wayne Manor. Near him is a sign that says Thomas Wayne for mayor. When he enters the building, he is greeted by Thomas and Martha Wayne. Alfred talks to Thomas about the death threats towards him and how he thinks they were sent by Thomas' political opponent. Thomas called Alfred because he wants someone on security that he could trust. Then Bruce comes running right under the two and tells his father that they will be late for a movie. Alfred warns Thomas that he shouldn't be going out right now, but Thomas says they go out every week as a family since he wants Bruce to have a normal life. So Thomas, Martha, and Bruce leave to go to the movies. While the Waynes are getting to their seats, the power goes out. Even though Thomas and Martha want to leave and come back another time, Bruce insists on seeing the film at another theater tonight. He runs out of the back of the theater while Thomas and Martha chase after him. On his way pass an alley, Bruce bumps into a man wearing a hood. The man tells him to watch where he's going. Bruce replies by saying that he doesn't have to listen to anything he says since his parents are the richest people in Gotham City. The man stops suddenly and says to Bruce, "You're the Wayne kid". When Thomas and Martha finally catch up with Bruce, he's being held hostage by the hooded man. He demands for their money and jewelry. But when he gets impatient, he lunges at the Waynes and shoots them both, right in front of Bruce. The story cuts back to Wayne Manor, where the police tell Alfred that if the Wayne's ever died, Alfred would be Bruce's legal guardian. Alfred hesitates to do this job, but then accepts it. Alfred walks over to the table Bruce is sitting by and tells him that he has to eat something. When Bruce asks who he is, Alfred replies by saying that he is Bruce's butler.

Earth-31
On this Earth, Batman was 55 in The Dark Knight Returns. Having retired following Jason Todd's death, crime began to rise to an all time high in Gotham and times were worse than ever. Bruce had to don his Batman persona once again. Fighting various criminals/friends from the good old days, Batman is equipped with a 13-year-old female Robin who will help Batman in his war on crime. Bruce has retired twice in this world and has to always come back to clean up after the government and their mess. Earth-31's Batman is a much darker Batman.

Earth-43
On Earth-43, Bruce Wayne/Batman was bitten by a female Vampire named Tanya, to oppose the king of vampires, Dracula. Tanya was a vampire that refused to draw on the blood of humans, and only wants to protect them from Dracula and his vampires. Tanya bites Batman, but instead of drawing blood, she transferred him new powers. Batman grew a disliking of the sun and gained incredible strength, speed, and agility. He also had the ability to grow wings in human form and become one with the shadows. While not wanting the blood of others, he had to use Tanya's a substitute to control the hunger. Most of Batman's villains were drained of blood when Tanya's was no longer sufficient. When this occurred, Bruce had already morphed into a giant bat like monster with fangs. Part of Batman's psyche and detective abilities stayed, but he is starting to loose it slowly. Since he wasn't a full vampire, he is hit with a stake in the heart and changed back to human form. Batman of Earth-43 still stands guard over his Gotham, but with the mark of a vampire.

Flashpoint

Thomas Wayne as Batman
In Flashpoint, the DC Universe's continuity thriller, the world has gone to hell. Barry Allen awakens to find that his beloved Earth is no more, and his friends/family have changed. Batman still protects citizens of Gotham from scum/villainy that will try to corrupt it, however Bruce Wayne isn't Batman.

Instead, Thomas Wayne became the Dark Knight when he watched his beloved son get gunned down in front of him. Thomas Wayne isn't the Batman we all know and love, but rather he has torn up Wayne Manor and lives in the Bat-Cave based under it. Thomas brutally attacks criminals and isn't afraid to kill them as well in this twisted version of the DC Universe.

Zur-En-Arrh

Bruce using the Zur-En-Arrh identity
On planet Zur-En-Arrh, Batman has superpowers. Near Batman's early creation, Ed Herron created this planet to give Batman abilities like Superman. Batman had all Superman's abilities and even a special weakness. In this comic, the Batman native to the planet was just a regular Batman like Bruce Wayne of Earth-1, with the name Kent Wayne (a combination of Bruce and Clark). He was raised by a rich family of farmers and when they eventually died, he became Batman. When Bruce Wayne came to his planet, Zur-En-Arrh Batman envied him because of how he was doing a greater job at Batman than he was. Eventually, Batman was weakened by a material on that planet, and Zur-En-Arrh had to remove his powers. After Crisis on Infinite Earths, this planet has been said to be erased from continuity.

Earth-5
On Earth-5, Bruce Wayne is only 8 years of age. Thomas and Martha Wayne are a rich family in Gotham City. Thomas is the legendary Batman with Martha as Batwoman. Bruce loves Batman and Batwoman and how they saved people. When he found out that his parents were his heroes, Thomas had no choice but to train him. With months of training, Bruce Wayne became Robin - The Boy Wonder.

Arkham City Earth
This Earth is similar to DC main continuity Earth-0 (New Earth); however, it differs from much of Batman's story. Still having his parents brutally murdered by a criminal, Bruce decides to devote his life to fighting crime in Gotham City. Years later, Batman finds himself in Arkham Asylum with Joker (and other Batman rogues) running the show; Batman locks himself in the asylum to stop Joker. Joker plans to create super thugs with the new Titan formula (a variation on the Venom serum). Batman stops a Titan-infected Joker, but the serum's effects make Joker very sick. A year later, Quincy Sharp, the former warden of Arkham Asylum and now the mayor of Gotham, closes the Asylum and places Arkham inside Gotham City. Batman is trying to prevent Gotham from destroying itself because of the Mayor's choice. This occurs in the Batman: Arkham City mini-series.

Earth-7642
This Earth, otherwise known as the Crossover Earth, is where DC main continuity coexists with the Marvel 616 universe. Spider-Man visits Gotham City after a psychologist, Cassandra Briar, believes she can cure the Joker of his insanity with a cranial microchip the same way she did Carnage. The insane duo eventually escape, and Batman is forced reluctant to partner with Spider-Man to save the city. This first meeting between the two occurs in Spider-Man and Batman.

Earth-9602
Otherwise known as the Amalgam Universe, this Earth is a combination of DC's New Earth (Earth-0) and Marvel 616. A head-to-head battle royale, which includes Batman defeating Captain America, results in the cosmic everyman Access creating Earth-9602. On this Earth, Bruce Wayne and Batman have been divided into two new characters: Bruce Wayne, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Dark Claw (Batman/Wolverine).

Batman/Danger Girl
In this miniseries and company crossover, the Danger Girl team goes to Gotham City after being informed that Donavin Conrad is trying to sell a mind control gun to the Joker. Batman does not like the involvement of Danger Girl, but neither does he like the threat which they pose. The Joker does not trust Conrad and attempts to double cross him as he sends Harley and Conrad to retrieve the codes to use the device. Abbey and Sydney come across Bruce Wayne, who invite them to a gala. The Danger Girl team faces the Joker but he manages to escape. Valerie finds a way to activate the bat-signal, but when Batman shows up a fight ensues between him and Sydney. They eventually reach a truce but only exchange information before parting ways. Johnny and Valerie have set up the villains to also attend the gala, hoping to catch them there. Johnny himself goes dressed as Batman and is unmasked before the real Batman arrives and stops the villains alongside the Danger Girl team.

Earth 30-Red Son
In this alternate reality Kal-El's ship lands in Ukraine instead of Smallville. Batman is a freedom fighter who's parents were killed by Pyotr Roslov for printing anti Superman propaganda.

Batman fighting Superman
Batman is labeled a terrorist by the government, and manages to escape the police everytime. After growing jealous of Superman, Pyotr convinces Batman to work with him to take down Superman. Batman agrees but warns Pyotr that after Superman is taken care of, he's next. Batman lures Superman by kidnapping Wonder Woman. Once Superman was in position, Batman bombarded him with red sunlight in order to weaken him. After beating up the weakened Superman to a pulp Batman locked him in a cellar, unfortunately for him Superman managed to convince Wonder Woman to destroy her lasso and destroy the lamps. When his plan failed Batman told Superman of Pyotr's treachery and committed suicide but Superman had no powers in a red sun only a yellow.

This wasn't the end of The Batman as other men have taken up the mantle after his death and brought justice to the streets of Russia.

Batman in Other Media

Film

The live-action versions of Batman (1989 - 2012)
You can find a full list of Batman's movies here. In 1943 The Batman made his debut in a film serial simply entitled Batman which starred Lewis Wilson as the Dark Knight and Douglas Croft as Robin. The film was made during WWII; there is in fact a villainous Japanese scientist named Dr. Daka (J. Carroll Naish in yellow-face) as the villain. Although critically bashed, the film series did introduce the concept of the Batcave as well as a thin Alfred, prompting DC to remake the comics version into the version known today. A second film serial series was launched, which followed Batman and Robin's battle with the mad scientist The Wizard. Other characters in these films include Vicki Vale, Alfred, and Commissioner Gordon. With a higher budget and more solid acting, it is considered superior to the previous serial, but it still had errors with equipment and continuity, like the previous serial. Decades later, Batman returned to the big screen with "Batman" (1989) and "Batman Returns" (1992). Directed by Tim Burton, the two movies were darker and more serious than any comic book movie before, and were both big hits critically and financially. In 1995 Joel Schumacher made a third installment, named "Batman Forever" which tried to make Batman more family-friendly by introducing Robin and adding a sillier, campier tone akin to the 60's Adam West show. The movie received mixed reviews but was a hit at the box office, which led to Schumacher making a fourth installment, titled "Batman and Robin". The film was a massive disappointment with both critics and audiences alike, and effectively killed the Batman franchise.

In 2005 Director Christopher Nolan brought Batman back to the big screen with "Batman Begins." This was followed by 2008's "The Dark Knight," which grossed over 1 billion dollars worldwide, making Batman a legitimate box office presence. Nolan made the final chapter of his Trilogy entitled "The Dark Knight Rises," which was released on July 20, 2012.

Ben Affleck as Batman
American actor Ben Affleck will also portray the Dark Knight in the upcoming Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice film alongside Henry Cavill as Superman and Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman. This marks the first that Batman and Superman have appeared on screen together in history. The film is set for release on March 25th , 2016.

Television

Adam West's Batman in the 1960's
The next notable Batman incarnation was the weekly television series starring Adam West in the title role and Burt Ward as Robin. The series was intended to be a lampoon comedy show because of producer William Dozier's initial loathing for comic books; this gave Dozier, who also narrated the series, the idea to "overdo" the series. The stories followed a format that was villain-driven and action-comedy heavy and tended to need two parts to complete. The first part usually involved a villain committing a crime with Batman and Robin attempting to stop the criminal, only to be caught and put in a death trap. The series is notable for the high profile guest stars, most of whom portrayed Batman's villains.

The series also led to a cinematic adaptation called Batman: The Movie.

Animation through the 60's, 70's, and 80's
Through the years Batman has spent more years animated on television than in a live action series. Starting in 1968, Batman and Robin made their animated debut in an hour-long series called The Batman/Superman Hour. This program, a Filmation Associates production, featured Olan Soule as Batman and Casey Kasem as Robin. The Bat-Duo were featured in numerous animated shorts which had Batman and Robin battle various Batman villains, as well as teaming up with Batgirl. These shorts eventually were repackaged as a solo TV series titled Batman with Robin the Boy Wonder, which ignored other segments in favor of solo Batman and Robin adventures. Soule and Kasem would reprise their roles in the Scooby-Doo Movies featuring Scooby and the Gang meeting Batman and Robin while battling Joker and Penguin.

In 1977 running concurrently with Challenge Of The Super Friends was The New Adventures Of Batman, featuring Batman, Robin, Batgirl, and the creature called Bat-Mite, fighting the Gotham rogues, both classic and newly created villains. (This constituted the previously mentioned Batman segments of Tarzan And The Super 7.) Because of Adam West's and Burt Ward's involvements in the show, it could be considered a continuation of the 1960s Batman series. Due to copyright issues, however, Challenge Of The Super Friends had the use of the Riddler and the Scarecrow, making them off-limits to The New Adventures Of Batman, while this series had use of the Joker, preventing his use in Challenge as a Legion of Doom member.

DC Animated Universe

Batman: The Animated Series
Starting in 1992 the critically acclaimed DC Animated Universe series of animated TV shows began, consisting of Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, The New Batman/Superman Adventures, Batman Beyond, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, Static Shock, and The Zeta Project; all of which shared continuity and actor Kevin Conroy as Batman. Throughout all these shows, a history of Bruce Wayne was recounted, from his childhood to glory days and dark times as well as him as an older man in retirement.

Many of the scripts of all the shows featured Bruce Timm, Alan Burnett, Paul Dini, Dwayne McDuffie, Stan Berkowitz, and Hilary Bader, creating a Batman that was very consistent in between all shows. All of the series have been met with acclaim due to the treatment of subject matter that told stories in a way that was child friendly but still attracted older audiences.

This is true especially for the treatment of Batman staying true to many versions of him and having stories lifted or inspired by the Batman mythos. The series also introduced Harley Quinn and Renee Montoya to the Batman mythos. Soon after Batman the Animated Series ended, Batman appeared (once again) in a guest spot for Superman: The Animated Series before starring in his own show titled The New Batman Adventures. In these adventures, Batman along with many other characters featured a new costume design many of which were recast including Batgirl who was elevated into Batman's partner. Dick Grayson left Gotham and soon used his Nightwing identity that was displayed in the comics. A new Robin came in the form of Tim Drake (who had Jason Todd's origin story). These new revamped episodes not only showed Batman fighting the same villains but new ones as well some created for the show itself.

Before the scenes in Return of the Joker, Batman was shown having many adventures with the Justice League involved in the creation of that team offering his own money and service but preferring to stay a reserve member. That did not stop him from developing friendships with Superman, Flash, Hawkgirl, and Wonder Woman, whom it is implied he shared a romantic attraction. Over the series Batman would often be the one of the critical members and often serve as a way to solve a problem showing his importance. Though Justice League is that last produced series in the DCAU, it chronologically takes place before Batman Beyond.

Batman Beyond

An old Bruce with Terry McGinnis
Batman Beyond is a continuation of Batman's legacy, the series is set in 2039, and follows a teenage Terry McGinnis as the new Batman. Many other characters that were seen in previous DC Cartoons also appeared. Bruce Wayne is seen as an elderly man, Barbara Gordon is Gotham's new commissioner of Gotham Police, taking after her dad, and Superman appears in a couple episodes, older but still active. Terry also time-traveled to meet the Justice League and also Static. Tim Drake appeared in Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker. The series was so popular that Batman Beyond has its new ongoing comic series beginning in 2011.

The Batman

The Batman
In 2004, another animated series was developed called "The Batman." This series ran from 2004-2008, and starred Rino Romano as the voice of the Dark Knight. This series follows the early days of Batman in the first two seasons (Batman was in his third year of Batman in his first episode), but was seen with Robin and Batgirl in the later two seasons, and even Superman; he also fought many villains, both of his regular rogues gallery and others'. The series was not connected to Batman: The Animated Series or the DCAU. The character designs were by Jeff Matsuda, who drew the character designs for Jackie Chan Adventures and an aborted Spider-Man series. The series was not as dark or gritty as Batman: The Animated Series, and it did not receive as much praise; the series, however, was successful.

Batman: The Brave and the Bold

The Brave and the Bold
Batman: The Brave and the Bold was aimed at young children and was not as dark as the previous Batman shows. Batman in this incarnation was voiced by Diedrich Bader; other versions of him were featured as well, including a manga-style Batman (voiced by Corey Burton) and a homage to the Batman featured in the show "The New Scooby-Doo Movies" (where he was voiced by Frank Welker). The show was also partially based off the Silver Age of Comic Books, and like the original "Brave and the Bold" comics, he teamed up a lot with other heroes, but did not include Wonder Woman or Superman (this mostly focused on minor A-list or B-C list characters).

Among the characters he teamed with include Green Arrow, Captain Marvel, Aquaman, Plastic Man, Red Tornado, and the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle. The series ran from 2008-2011, ending with the fourth wall-breaking episode "Mitefall". The series also had Dick Grayson as Batman and Damian Wayne as Robin for one episode. This is the only Batman cartoon that featured Dick Grayson as Batman and Damian Wayne as Robin.

Young Justice

Batman in Young Justice
Batman/ Bruce Wayne plays a key role in Young Justice. He is one of the 7 founding members of the Justice League. He is also responisble for disatching the team on covert missions. He is also a mentor to many of the members of the team especially to Super Boy who does not a great relationship with Superman. His alter ego of Bruce Wayne also plays a key role in some episodes of the series. Batman is also a mentor to three incarnations of Robins throughout the series with respects to DIck Greyson, Jason Todd and Tim Drake, as well as Batgirl/ Barbra Gordon.He is voiced by Bruce Greenwood (who previously voiced him in the animated film Batman: Under the Red Hood). Although he is not the main character, he is vital to the show. His character model is based off the design from the animated movie Justice League: Crisis On Two Earths. This version of Batman is based on Earth-16. Batman and five other members of the Justice League were manipulated for sixteen hours by Vandal Savage, in this time the six league members may have committed crime in a distant planet of Rimbor. The charagers are later dropped once the team found evidence freeing the memebers and Batamn of the crime.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993)

Following the success of Batman: The Animated Series, Batman made his animated film debut in 1993's Mask of the Phantasm, released in theaters. A new vigilante shows up in Gotham and unlike Batman, resorts to lethal force in order to take down Gotham's former mob bosses. The mysterious nature of the vigilante, as well as the similarity in appearance to Batman, causes the city of Gotham to go on a manhunt for the Batman. This film also explores Bruce's life before he took on the mantle of the Bat - in particular his serious romantic relationship with Andrea Beaumont.

Batman: Gotham Knight (2008)

Batman in Gotham Knights
Gotham Knight is an anime anthology which explores Bruce Wayne's transition from his beginning as a tormented vigilante to The Dark Knight in a crumbling metropolis rife with criminality. Gotham Knight has six distinct chapters, but its intended to be viewed as a whole. Kevin Conroy reprises his role.

Justice League: The New Frontier (2008)

Justice League Batman
Justice League: The New Frontier was based off the 2003 Elseworlds miniseries of the same name by Darwyn Cooke. Batman's character design strongly resembled Bob Kane's original Batman design. He was voiced by Jeremy Sisto in this film. The plot follows a new generation of superheroes that must join forces with the community's active veterans and a hostile US government to fight a menace on Earth.

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies (2009)

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies is based off the first six issues of the 2003 Superman/Batman series. The story follows Superman and Batman stopping an asteroid from striking Earth, and stopping Lex Luthor, who has now become the President and has put a bounty on both their heads. Kevin Conroy again voiced him.

Justice League: Crisis On Two Earths (2010)

Crisis on Two Earths
Crisis on Two Earths follows a good version of Lex Luthor from a parallel Earth who comes to the Justice League's dimension to help fight their evil counterparts. This movie is loosely based on Grant Morrison's 1999 graphic novel JLA: Earth-2. Batman is voiced by William Baldwin.

Batman: Under The Red Hood (2010)

Under the Red Hood based off the Judd Winick story arc Batman: Under The Hood, though it's slightly different. The story follows the Jason Todd Robin's death, and years later a new foe who uses the Joker's old alias wreaks havoc among Gotham City's organized crime, Batman finds him disturbingly familiar. Batman was voiced by Bruce Greenwood.

Superman/Batman: Apocalypse (2010)

Supergirl and Batman in Superman/Batman Apocalypse
Superman/Batman: Apocalypse was based off the "Supergirl From Krypton" story arc in Superman/Batman. The story follows Batman discovers a mysterious teenaged girl with superhuman powers and a connection to Superman. The girl comes to the attention of Darkseid, the evil overlord of Apokolips. Kevin Conroy once again voiced him.

Batman: Year One (2011)

Bruce Wayne in Batman: Year One
Batman: Year One is an animated movie based off the graphic novel Batman: Year One. The story will follow Batman's early days. It will have the work of Frank Miller on the movie as the writer and Bruce Timm will be working with Frank to deliver Batman's story. Batman is voiced by Ben McKenzie.

Justice League: Doom (2012)

When Batman's contingency plan to use only if the Justice League go rogue, is taken by villainous hands. Things get out of hand immediately. As it is up for Batman to save his fellow partners and friends from a threat he didn't possibly foresee in the beginning. Based on the story JLA: Tower of Babel and Justice.

The Dark Knight Returns: Part 1 (2012)

Having blamed himself for the death of Jason Todd, Bruce Wayne retires as Batman and allows Gotham City to sink into a cesspool of evil. Constantly living on the edge of life, Bruce eventually comes out of retirement with the revelation of Two-Face's return. After that, Bruce is joined by a new Robin, a young girl named Carrie Kelly, who helps him battle against the Mutants that seek to control all of Gotham. This follows Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns issue 1-2.

The Dark Knight Returns: Part 2 (2013)

Having come out of retirement, Batman sees it as the time to run out all the crime in Gotham. Armed with an army of ex-Mutants and the Sons of Batman, not everyone is happy with the extreme measures Batman is taking to stop crime in Gotham. Joker returns and it pushes Batman over the edge and because of it Superman is sent by the U.S. government to take him down for good. This sparks an all out brawl between the Dark Knight and the Man of Steel. Follows Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns issue 3-4.

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (2013)

Batman, along with the Justice League, aided the Flash in defeating Reverse Flash and the Rouges. But when Flash changes history, Bruce Wayne is killed and Thomas Wayne assumes the mantel of Batman. When Flash fixes the timeline he pays a visit to Batman and gives him a letter from his father.

Justice League: War (2014)

A new movie based off the New 52 Justice League comic. Batman is voiced by Jason O'Mara.

Son of Batman (2014)

A new movie based off the Grant Morrison story, "Batman and Son". Batman is again voiced by Jason O'Mara, reprising his role from Justice League: War.

Video Games
Mortal Kombat VS DC Universe (2008)

Batman is a playable character with his own moves and finishers in MK vs DCU.

Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009)

Batman: Arkham Asylum promotional art by Carlos D'Anda
Batman: Arkham Asylum takes place in the titular asylum as the Joker has set his plan into motion: total control over Arkham Asylum. Batman must bring order back to the asylum as he stops all of the inmates that have now been released as part of Joker's plan, and put an end to his madness.

Arkham Asylum is an action-adventure game developed by Rocksteady Studios for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC. The game holds the Guinness World Record for "Most Critically Acclaimed Superhero Game Ever", as well as several other awards such as Game of the Year (from various sources), and Best Action-Adventure Game.

Batman: Arkham City (2011)

Batman "5.0" as seen in Arkham City's cover art
Taking place one year after the events of Arkham Asylum, former Arkham Asylum warden Quincy Sharp has taken all the credit to stopping Joker's takeover of the asylum and has assumed the role of Gotham City's mayor. Converting a portion of Gotham City into a mega-prison known as Arkham City, all the inmates of both Blackgate Penitentiary and Arkham Asylum have been transferred to the new prison, and are allowed to run amok to do as they please. Batman sets into motion a plan to get himself into Arkham City to investigate what is truly going on behind its walls.

Arkham City was developed by Rocksteady Studios for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC, as well as an "Armored Edition" for the Wii U. As with its predecessor, Arkham City has won several awards such as Game of the Year, Best Action Game, and Best Performer Award (for Mark Hamill as the Joker).

Batman: Arkham Origins (2013)

Batman "0.9"
A prequel to Rocksteady's Arkham series, Origins takes place on Christmas Eve during Batman's second year as the Dark Knight. The villainous Black Mask has placed a bounty on the mysterious vigilante's head, sending top assassins such as Deathstroke to take down the Caped Crusader. Batman must figure out why Black Mask is after him whilst proving to the GCPD that he is on their side.

Arkham Origins is being developed by Warner Bros. Games Montreal, unlike the previous games which were developed by Rocksteady Studios. The game is set for release on October 25th, 2013 for the PlayStation 3, Wii U, and Xbox 360.

Injustice: Gods Among Us (2013)

Batman he appears in Injustice: Gods Among Us
Batman is a playable character in Injustice: Gods Among Us, a DC Comics fighting game developed by NetherRealm Studios for the PlayStation 3, Wii U, and Xbox 360.

Batman: Dark Tomorrow (2003)

Dark Tomorrow was released on April 11, 2003. The game's plot was co-written by Scott Peterson of DC and Kenji Terada.

Lego Batman: The Video Game (2008)

The first Lego Batman game, it features three stories in which Batman and Robin have to defeat various criminals. It also has the same three stories playable from the villains' perspective.

Lego Batman 2: DC Superheroes (2012)

The Cover for Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
A sequel to the first Lego Batman game, this introduces many other superheroes from the DC universe and is the first Lego game to feature voice acting.

Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham (2014)

Batman will also appear alongside many other DC characters in the third game of the Lego Batman series.

Batman: Arkham Knight (2015)

The final installment of the Batman Arkham games, set approximately one year after the events of Batman: Arkham City. Scarecrow has forced the entire city of Gotham to evacuate allowing the cities criminals and many of Batman's villains to take over the city. This is the first game in which the Batmobile will be able to be controlled and driven by the character.

Books
Batman: The Ultimate Evil

While aiding a beautiful social worker in her crusade against child abuse, millionaire playboy Bruce Wayne comes to a shocking revelation about his childhood--knowledge that nearly destroys him. Desperate for answers, The Batman follows a twisted trail of perversion from Gotham City to Southeast Asia, where he faces The Ultimate Evil.

Written by: Andrew Vachss
Batman Begins

Based on the eagerly awaited new feature film-the exciting origins of the ultimate crime fighter!

Bruce Wayne is dead. The young heir to the Wayne empire disappeared seven years ago. His vast fortune has been given away, and the crime wave that began with the brutal murder of his parents has turned Gotham City into a living hell. The last holdouts against corruption-the cops who can't be bought, the D.A.s who can't be intimidated-are outnumbered and outgunned. They need help... fast.

A world away, in a dank Himalayan prison, a nameless, hardened man fights every day to survive. He has spent seven years scouring the globe, studying the criminal mind, looking for an answer to the ugly riddle of his childhood. But something has been looking for him, too. Here, in the darkest places of his own anger, Bruce Wayne will discover his destiny-and an ordinary man will become a legend.

Written by: Dennis O'Neil
Batman: Dead White

Who better than Batman to protect the dangerous city of Gotham, where even the cops are crooks? But the latest imminent terror might be too much for the burgeoning Caped Crusader, who is still carving out a place for himself in the minds of Gotham's criminals.

There's a host of deadly new weapons in Batman's glittering, sinister city-in the hands of a psychotic mastermind called White Eyes. With his radical murder machine, the fiendish leader of Gotham's racist Bavarian Brotherhood can move beyond dealing drugs and hot guns to pursue his real passion: the white supremacist takeover of America.

The homegrown terrorists' first strike-at the heart of our nation's capitol-is only weeks away. But first they'll test out their killer toys on Batman, who is hot on the trail of White Eyes and his brutal militia. Ounce for ounce, muscle for muscle, Batman's no match for the cunning villain and his wicked new firepower. At least, that's how White Eyes sees it.

Batman has other ideas...

Written by: John Shirley
Batman: Inferno

Gotham's never been so scorching, the Joker's never been more despicable, and Batman's never been in such grave danger.

With more than thirty fires raging out of control across the city, Gotham is indeed a hell on earth. But torching the population is small potatoes for the arsonist extraordinaire known as Enfer. The pyromaniac's mad masterpiece is Arkham Asylum, blazing like a Roman candle and engineered to provide the perfect escape for Arkham's most infamous inmate, the Joker. But the dire situation goes from bad to beyond monstrous when the archvillain's path to freedom leads directly to the Dark Knight's cave.

The Joker believes in striking while the iron is hot . . . and now it's never been hotter. After all, the diabolical villain has devised the ultimate joke: launch the mother of all crime waves, masquerading as the Caped Crusader himself! With Gotham erupting in flames and its #1 crime fighter fast becoming its #1 enemy, the burning question is: Who's going to get the last laugh?

Written by Alex Irvine
The Dark Knight

Following on from 2005's critically acclaimed "Batman Begins", Christopher Nolan returns to direct "The Dark Knight", where Christian Bale's man-behind-the-mask is joined by Heath Ledger as The Joker. Batman continues to fight crime on the dark streets of Gotham City, but when a crazed psychopath unleashes a fresh reign of chaos, it seems Batman has met his match in the ultimate crime lord, The Joker. The official novelization is essential reading for fans wanting the full story of this extraordinary movie, and is written by acclaimed comic book writer ("Batman", "Green Lantern/Green Arrow") and editor Denny O'Neill.

Written by: Dennis O'Neill
Batman: Fear Itself

Batman strikes fear in the hearts of criminals, but there's a killer stalking Gotham who's even better at inspiring fright-and his method just might be unbeatable . . . because it's invisible.

Unbeknownst to the general public, a powerful new designer drug has hit the streets of Gotham, courtesy of an evil genius determined to turn the expression "scared to death" into lethal reality. Unlike the Caped Crusader, who petrifies only villains, this mastermind is targeting decent citizens-and he's come up with the ultimate delivery system. After all, the public can't refuse something they can't see, hear, or smell. That's the beauty of a terror toxin that is undetectable by the human senses. And with all of Gotham's super-villains incarcerated, Batman must hunt down a mystery madman about whom he knows nothing.

Maybe the Dark Knight should be afraid . . . because there's plenty to fear when you go head-to-head with fear itself.

Written by: Michael Reaves
The Dark Knight Rises

Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman return in the thrilling and hotly anticipated conclusion to Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy.

The blockbuster movie will introduce new faces to the franchise as well, including Selina Kyle (Anne Hathaway), Bane (Tom Hardy), John Blake (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), and Miranda Tate (Marion Cotillard).

From the team that brought you Inception, The Dark Knight Rises is guaranteed to be the blockbuster hit of 2012. This enthralling official novelization will transport fans into a Gotham City once again under threat.

Written by: Greg Cox
Board Games and Heroclixs

In 2002 to 2013-present there have been a game called Heroclixs and they have made Batman from every pack in Heroclixs as a playable hero in the game and has points as power. They have made a pack for the first tim e based in the 1966 Batman Tv Show from 1966-1968 now in Heroclixs games form and there collectables from TV shows and comics.

In 1999 there was a game called Monopoly it was called Justice League of America in the 1960's with the small team of Justice Leaguers and Batman is a playable hero in the board game.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

172K 3.9K 53
โ i loved you so hard for a time, i've tried to ration it out all my life. โž kate martin x fem! oc
53M 377K 65
Stay connected to all things Wattpad by adding this story to your library. We will be posting announcements, updates, and much more!
251K 7.2K 130
"๐‘ป๐’‰๐’†๐’“๐’†'๐’” ๐’“๐’†๐’‚๐’๐’๐’š ๐’๐’ ๐’˜๐’‚๐’š ๐’๐’‡ ๐’˜๐’Š๐’๐’๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ ๐’Š๐’‡ ๐’Š๐’ ๐’•๐’‰๐’†๐’Š๐’“ ๐’†๐’š๐’†๐’” ๐’š๐’๐’–'๐’๐’ ๐’‚๐’๐’˜๐’‚๐’š๐’” ๐’ƒ๐’† ๐’‚ ๐’…๐’–๐’Ž๐’ƒ ๐’ƒ๐’๐’๐’๐’…๐’†."
5.1M 45.2K 53
Welcome to The Wattpad HQ Community Happenings story! We are so glad you're part of our global community. This is the place for readers and writers...