Dick Grayson

Dick Grayson: The Boy Wonder

The Flying Graysons!
Born to a family of acrobats, Dick Grayson began his life with an exciting childhood growing up in the circus. With his parents, John and Mary Grayson, his family forms "The Flying Graysons," famed trapeze artists and acrobats.

These happy times soon take a turn for the worse, as the mafia begins targeting the circus. At eight years old, Dick witnesses mob boss Anthony Zucco threatens the circus owner, demanding insurance for the safety of his performers. The owner vehemently refuses the extortion and Dick goes along his way. Unfortunately, Zucco decides to use the headlining act, which happens to be The Flying Graysons, as an example.

As the Graysons plummet to earth, hundreds of spectators watch in horror. Among them are billionaire Bruce Wayne (also known as Batman). Feeling empathy for the boy's loss, Bruce decides to take the boy in as his legal ward, as none of Dick's family wanted him. The major difference between Bruce and Dick is that while Bruce's swore vengeance on his parents' grave, Dick Grayson swore justice, which helped him cope with the death better then Bruce had his own parents.

After a short while, Dick realizes what his mentor is doing all these late nights, and eventually chooses the same life as well. Bruce decides that with the boy's extensive training in acrobatics and his sense of justice, he has just what's needed to become the Batman's partner. After rigorous training from Bruce, Robin, the Boy Wonder, is christened.

Creation

Dick Grayson first appeared as Robin in Detective Comics #38 in 1940, created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger and illustrated by Jerry Robinson. He was made so that Batman would appeal to younger readers and lighten the tone of the Batman stories. Robin's name was inspired by Robin Hood; it was indicated in Dectective Comics #38, on the lower right-hand corner: "And thus Dick Grayson, by the hand of fate, is transformed into that astonishing phenomon that young Robin Hood of today -- ROBIN THE BOY WONDER". In the later years it was stated that Robin's name was taken from the robin bird, not Robin Hood. In another version it's mentioned that the name "Robin" is inspired by Dick's nickname "little robin" which his mother gave him.

The Nightwing persona was created by writer Marv Wolfman and artist George Perez, and debuted in Tales of the Teen Titans #44 in 1984.

Character Evolution

Robin

The Boy Wonder
Dick enjoys his first year as Robin describing it as an adventure; he battles villains such as Mad Hatter, Penguin, Joker, Mr. Freeze, Scarecrow, and Blockbuster. However, his so-called adventure quickly turns into a hellish nightmare when Two-Face kidnaps both the new District Attorney and Batman, suspending them both from a hangman's noose in a double gallows death trap. Batman instructs Robin to prioritize saving the D.A. He follows his orders by throwing a batarang at the noose, freeing the D.A. and therefore saving his life. Unfortunately, Two-Face's trap is a two-parter, and the false floor below the noose gives out before Robin can get to him. Robin jumps into the water after the D.A., but Two-Face pulls him out and beats him savagely while a restrained Batman watches in horror. Batman eventually frees himself and stops Two-Face, but not before Dick is permanently scarred. This frightens Batman so much that he temporarily suspends Dick, and the event continues to haunt Dick for many years afterwards. When Dick eventually returns to crime fighting, he is much stronger and smarter than before. He later studies law at Hudson University but drops out after one term due to his responsibilities as Robin.

Teen Titans

Teen Titans
After several years of fighting by Batman's side, Robin decides he's ready to fight with others his own age. Dick joins forces with Kid Flash, Aqualad, Wonder Girl, and Speedy, forming the Teen Titans. Although Robin is one of the few members of the team without traditional superpowers, he emerges as the group's natural leader due to his experience and intelligence.