Lobo

Origin

The Last Czarnian
Pre-Crisis, Lobo was a member of the Velorpian race. Velorpians were difficult to kill, because they possessed the ability to replicate themselves from any injury short of complete vaporization. This led to overpopulation and a legacy of greed. The Psions eventually gave the Velorpians a poison that would lead to their downfall. Lobo was the only survivor.

Hired by the Citadel to attack the Omega Men, Lobo felt there was a breach of contract when he was not trusted to capture Tigorr alone. In revenge, Lobo helped the Omega Men assassinate the Gordanian leader. Lobo would later help the Omega Men for free, attributing his "going soft" to the sight of counterfeit Velorpians.

The last story of the Vega star system ended with Lobo taking the contract on his former partner, Bedlam.

Post-Crisis, Lobo was born on the peaceful planet Czarnia. By some accounts, he tore out of his mother's womb. By others, his mother told him to find what he did best before he killed her. Other accounts claim his parents became hermits due to the evil they unleashed. There were many theories as to why Lobo inflicted violence, which was unheard of on Czarnia. Though the exact cause was never determined, it was concluded that Lobo was just plain bad.

At the age of two, Lobo requested a song to be played continuously on station Cosmic Rock Zombie. It was "I Killed My Folks (No Accident)" which Wolfman Wilf played non-stop out of fear for his life. Lobo had become fed up with being like others, and set out to establish his own identity. This meant a wardrobe change.

By age 16, he had killed half the planet's population. By age 17, he had engineered a plague that caused irreversible neural damage and excruciating pain for days before the victim died. Having made himself immune, he murdered 5 billion Czarnians while he played death metal. Only one Czarnian survived the plague - Lobo's fourth grade teacher.

Having no plans to rule a dead planet, Lobo set out to find employment to feed his space dolphins. After several failed jobs, he became a bounty hunter. One of his contracts from Manga Khan was to kill the Justice League.

Creation

Initially, Lobo was a recurring character in the Omega Men and created by Keith Giffen and Roger Slifer. He was created, according to Giffen, as satire for violent anti-heroes like Wolverine and Punisher. Everything about him is outlandish and excessive, from his origin to his powers, even his very language. He was retconned by Alan Grant and Simon Bisley in 1990 and his popularity soared.

Character Evolution

As a bounty hunter Lobo will take up any contract if the money's right. Whether it be his fourth grade teacher, Santa Claus, or God himself, Lobo will get the job done. He has been barred from Heaven and Hell, effectively making him immortal by default. His speech is peppered with (what Detective Comics hoped was) family friendly profanity such as "frag" and "bastich."

He is not all that bad though, as he's always true to his word and a conservationist of Space Dolphins.

In his travels around the universe, Lobo has frequently found himself either on Earth or encountering its heroes. Lobo is rarely diplomatic and these encounters often become violent. Lobo's first trip to Earth (as well as many later encounters) saw him clash with Superman. As both of them are immensely powerful and unable to decisively beat the other, Superman usually has to find a way to appease Lobo before the damage (and the death toll) gets too severe. Due to his inability to beat Superman, Lobo will often challenge him in an effort to finally prove he is better.

Powers and Abilities

Super powered Lobo
It is said that Czarnians can only be truly killed by other Czarnians (though this does not matter to Lobo either way, as he cannot die by any means). Furthermore, Lobo has been banned from entering either Heaven or Hell. Lobo can survive unaided in the vacuum of space.