The Unexpected Path

By TheFeveredBookaholic

They say the best things in life are unexpected but so are the worst things. Especially the worst things. Luc... More

Dedications
Playlist
Prologue - Lucas
Chapter 1 - Lucas
Chapter 2 - Olivia
Chapter 3 - Lucas
Chapter 5 - Lucas
Chapter 6 - Olivia
Chapter 7 - Lucas
Chapter 8 - Olivia
Chapter 9 - Lucas
Chapter 10 - Olivia
Chapter 11 - Lucas
Chapter 12 - Olivia
Chapter 13 - Lucas
Chapter 14 - Olivia
Chapter 15 - Lucas
Chapter 16 - Olivia
Chapter 17 - Lucas
Chapter 18 - Olivia
Chapter 19 - Olivia
Chapter 20 - Lucas
Chapter 21 - Lucas
Chapter 22 - Olivia
Chapter 23 - Lucas
Chapter 24 - Olivia
Chapter 25 - Lucas
Chapter 26 - Olivia
Chapter 27 - Lucas
Chapter 28 - Olivia
Chapter 29 - Lucas
Chapter 30 - Lucas
Chapter 31 - Lizzie
Chapter 32 - Emily
Chapter 33 - Jaxon
Chapter 34 - Lucas
Chapter 35 - Olivia
Epilogue - Lucas
Author's Note
NEW PROJECT - Fall 2020 Standalone
NEW PROJECT - Sweet Spot Synopsis
BONUS CHAPTER - Lucas

Chapter 4 - Olivia

58.1K 2.4K 4.8K
By TheFeveredBookaholic

I love astronomy.

I guess you could say I inherited my interest because my dad loves astronomy, just like his mother loved it. I guess when you're a West you're bound to be infatuated with the sky and every wonderful and unknown corner of it. But my father and I have a particular interest in stars and constellation.

I grew up hearing stories about what takes place in the night sky and the meaning behind each star in the galaxy. We'd lie outside in the backyard together every night and use his telescope to study different constellations. It's always been my favourite bonding activity with Dad. Something about the sky just fills me up with warmth and nostalgia so I was freaking ecstatic to learn Boston U offered an Astronomy class. I don't even care that it's an eight a.m. class. My passion outweighs anything that could make this a negative experience.

Until he walked in.

I was completely into Professor Warren's lecture when he stopped short and welcomed a new student. I just about choked on the tip of my pencil I was chewing when Lucas strutted in like he owned the place, pissed off and soaked to the bone. He was rude and snippy with our professor the same way he was with the students gawking at him. I get it on some level. Being stared at and whispered behind constantly gets irritating. But he didn't have to be such an asshole and when our eyes finally clashed, he mumbled something under his breath and sneered right at me. All I could do was think about how Zack mentioned Lucas is different now, full of hate and loathing. Then I realized Lucas has always been that way with me so it made no difference and I scoffed and looked away.

That was ten minutes ago and I can still feel his gaze burning holes in the back of my head. What the fuck is his problem?

"Can you believe Lucas Cage is in this class?" A girl in front of me whispers to her friend. She looks over her shoulder and up, where Lucas is at the very top of the lecture hall, before giggling and looking away. "God, he's hot. Like, the hottest guy on campus."

Oh, brother. I roll my eyes and tune them out. I'm no stranger to girls fawning over Lucas. He's always had his good looks and they only seem to be getting better. I'll admit it's been hard not to notice how much he's changed. He's insanely tall, I'd have to guess six foot three, and has buffed out over the last few years. His hair has taken on a wavier form that always seems to topple across his forehead and makes it look like he's not even trying. His jaw is more cut and rugged, his lips naturally full, and those intense greenish-blue eyes that you could easily lose yourself in. He's movie-star pretty but I know better than that. Inside there's nothing about him remotely appealing and that makes it a hell of a lot easier to not feel anything except hatred towards him.

"Although we've learned many things about the sky and all the mysteries of the galaxy, there are still several things we can't even begin to imagine," Professor Warren continues. "And there's no one area that tells us everything. We can learn about the planets, or the stars, or the many different galaxies. Does anyone here have a particular area of interest?"

Kudos to him for trying. This is a general course that starts at eight a.m. Half the class is sleeping and the other half aren't paying attention. Professor Warren scuffles nervously and I feel so bad for him that I'm raising my hand before I realize I've done it.

"Yes," He beams and points at me. Oh, well. What's done is done. I've never been the shy type anyway. Professor Warren looks over the attendance sheet for a moment. "Olivia West, is it?"

"Yes, sir," I nod. "My father is really passionate about stars and I grew up hearing all kinds of legends about constellations. I love stars and knowing the sky above us is alive with stories of the past."

"Well said," He grins. "Care to share a particular favourite?"

"Sure," I lean back in my seat. "The story of the chained lady — Andromeda. Her mother was extremely vain and obsessed with her beauty to the point where she considered herself the most beautiful woman to exist. Poseidon took great offence from this because he created the very beautiful sea nymphs, so he created a sea monster to attack Andromeda. She didn't do anything wrong but her mother was too proud to take back her words and was willing to let her daughter take the fall for her mistakes. I think there's a great lesson in this story — that sometimes the people who are supposed to love you and take care of you only care about themselves and they'd rather see you get hurt than admit to their shortcomings. At the end of the day, people disappoint and we can't change them."

"Wonderful analysis," Professor Warren mumbles solemnly. The rest of the class is now alert and looking at me too, nodding along in agreement and hanging onto my words. "Bravo, Ms. West."

I smile in acknowledgment and Professor Warren resumes his lecture, facing the front and writing out the most common constellations. Only then do I briefly glance over my shoulder and, just like I thought, Lucas is glaring at me. I can see from all the way here how livid he is. He knew that speech was meant for him and he doesn't appreciate it one bit. His chest rises and falls with heavy breaths, lips pursed and a muscle jumping along his jaw. God, his eyes are on fire. It looks like he's trying to snap me in two with his stare alone. But I don't care. If he's mad then that means he's guilty of everything I said otherwise why should he care about my words? So I raise a disinterested brow back and face the front again. He can choke on my words the same way he left me to choke on his all those years ago.

What aren't you understanding, Olivia? I don't give a single fuck about you.

Miserable asshole.

I pull in a deep breath to ground myself. I don't want to go there. I spent my first year in LA sobbing every night thinking about the way Lucas broke my heart. I've spent the last three years rebuilding myself from the ground up and he isn't about to ruin that. I'm untouchable to him as far as I'm concerned.

"...as you've now seen that we can learn a lot from constellations." I zone back in to catch the end of Professor Warren's sentence. "Similarly—"

"Bullshit."

The class is definitely awake now. Everyone startles and looks behind them to where that came from. Lucas has stood up from his seat and is casually making his way down the stairs. He looks like he's prowling, one corner of his lip curled up and a glint in his eye.

"I beg your pardon?" Professor Warren asks warily.

"Bullshit," Lucas repeats and reaches the bottom of the steps. What the hell is he doing? We all watch as he walks up to the prof and snatches the chalk from his hands. He moves closer to the board and in large, capital letters, he spells, "BULLSHIT."

"Mr. Cage," Professor Warren starts. "This is inappropriate—"

"Shh," Lucas puts a finger to his lips and silences him. I can feel my disbelief flaring. How can he be behaving so disrespectfully? Lucas has always been on the meaner side but he also meant well. This is something else entirely. "Now what's that teachers are always on about not interrupting each other? Let me finish."

The class comes alive, whispering and trying to contain their laughter at his bold words. I'm not so amused. I can feel my jaw clench as I watch him blatantly humiliate our professor. He's enjoying it, I realize with disgust. His smirk says it all as he leans back against the professor's desk.

"Now class," He starts in a bored voice. "Can I get a show of hands? Who would like to me elaborate on why I think this is all bullshit?"

And disturbingly enough, several hands go up in the air. They're eating this up, treating Lucas's behaviour like he's some hero for what he's doing. All I can do is shake my head. Only a couple of guys have their hands down and look as annoyed as I do.

"You see, here's the thing about stories." Lucas throws the chalk in the air and catches it. He does that over and over again as he continues in a non-chalant voice. "You'll only ever hear one side and that's the side that gets told — the side that gets worshipped until everyone believes that's the entire story. But what about the side that was overshadowed or never mentioned? These bullshit constellations talk about what they want you to know and you idiots eat it up. I mean, you do know how that story ends right? The chick gets saved by a hero and they get married and live happily ever after. So sweet."

He fake pouts and the class laughs, chiming in with a chorus of "aw's" and spurring him on. My nostrils flare with barely contained anger. Exactly what the hell is he trying to prove right now?

"Maybe mother dearest knew what she was doing," He offers. Professor Warren tries to speak up but Lucas shuts him up with one glare before continuing. "Maybe she knew that the creature wouldn't kill her daughter because someone else was coming for her. I mean, that theory isn't part of any of the stories but what do we know? Were we there, class? Were we physically there and know the whole picture or is this all just putting our blind faith in something we were told?"

The class nods backs, murmuring to one another, and obviously agreeing with what Lucas is saying. Meanwhile I have steam coming out of my ears. This is so typical of him. Swooping in and claiming he didn't do anything wrong and refusing to take accountability for his actions.

"That's the lesson. That we only get part of the story and jump to conclusions and act like stuck-up bitches who know everything. We don't know shit and it's because we didn't bother to ask. We just assumed because we didn't care enough to stick around and actually learn the truth. That's why these stories are bullshit. They're. Just. Stories."

He lets the chalk clatter to the floor and steps on it, the loud crush of it resonating around the room full of pin-drop silence. There's not even a hush as Lucas goes back up the stairs two at a time and grabs all of his things. The class only comes alive again when he strips off his shirt and flings it over his shoulder. Girls shift in their seat and whisper excitedly, eyeing his body with full interest. He's ripped to perfection but does that really fucking matter? After the shit he pulled he's still going and I realize it's because this was probably the most fun he's had in weeks. Lucas loves causing chaos. It satisfies him.

"Clothes are wet," He explains to Professor Warren as he descends the stairs. "Can't be catching a cold."

I keep waiting for Professor Warren to say something but he's rooted in place, face red and clearly unsure of what to do. God, I could just punch Lucas in the face right now. I didn't realize just how true Zack's words were until now — Lucas is a fucking mess.

He gets to the bottom of the stairs and tilts his head at the girl in front of me who was whispering about him earlier. He points to her and crooks his finger, beckoning her.

"M-me?" She stammers. She exchanges an excited look with her friend when Lucas nods. "Okay."

She gets up from her desk and hastily grabs her things, sliding down the row and making her way to Lucas. He smirks at her and grabs her by the back of the neck when she reaches him, bending his head until their lips meet. He proceeds to kiss the hell out of her right there, in front of the whole class. In front of me.

Fucking dick.

It takes everything I have not to avert my eyes like I really want to. I swallow hard and watch them go at it. The class is completely abuzz when Lucas pulls away. It was a short kiss, maybe five seconds, but it was dirty and full of tongue. The girl looks dazed as she stares up at him. She seems his type, alright. Tall, blonde and lithe, huge rack and presumably no brains if she let him degrade her in front of the whole class. She looks pretty happy about it too.

"I got to get going," Lucas tells Professor Warren and flings his arm around blondie. "I have things to do. You know. Her. I'll be doing her. Thanks for a great lesson."

Then he leads her out of the classroom. Just before he steps out he glances over his shoulder until his eyes lock with mine. I keep them vacant and emotionless because I'd rather die than give him the satisfaction of showing he got to me. Whatever game he's trying to play here I don't want any part of it. If he wants to ruin his life and taint his image that's on him. I swear for a moment his mouth twitches before he looks away and then he's gone.

"Well," Professor Warren clears his throat. "That was...ah...interesting."

"You're going to complain, right?" I ask him. The rest of the class looks to me in surprise but I can't be bothered. Lucas Cage is some kind of immortal being to them. To me, he's the guy I grew up with. I've seen everything there ever was to see and I'm not intimidated. He's just like anyone else and that's exactly how I'll treat him. "Don't let him get away with that kind of behaviour, sir."

"It wasn't so bad," Professor Warren tries to wave me off. "He was just expressing his opinion and he made some good points albeit a little untraditionally."

"If you won't say anything then I will," I shrug. Even the teachers are intimated by the asshole. I already fucking hate this place. It's like a blown up Lucas Cage shrine and it makes me want to throw up.

"I don't know if that's necessary," Professor Warren looks horrified I even said such a thing. "He's important to the dean—"

"Oh, I won't be going to the dean," I laugh. "I think I'll be having a nice chat with his father. Or is anyone forgetting who I am too?"

It's a low blow but one that's necessary. I've never milked the "famous boxer family" card like this before but now I have no choice. I want it to be clear that I'm not like these people, that I don't give two shits about Lucas and that they shouldn't bother making me believe otherwise. I won't excuse him like they do.

"Right. You two are family," Professor Warren clears his throat. "Well, if you could ensure just a bit of Mr. Cage's cooperation that would be great, Ms. West. Thank you."

"You're welcome, sir," I nod.

The girls in the class all give me the stink-eye, like I personally attacked their boyfriend or some shit. Whatever. They can try to argue with me if they want but I don't take crap from anyone. My parents taught me better than that. Both of them are the boldest people I know and bet your ass I get it from them.

The rest of class is unsurprisingly mundane. After that literal train wreck, everyone is back to dozing off and zoning out. I guess class just isn't exciting to them without drama but no drama is exactly what I need. So I listen raptly to Professor Warren because I actually like this class and I can enjoy it properly with Lucas gone. Good fucking riddance. I can't imagine a semester with him. Hopefully he'll lose interest himself and drop out. He's good at that anyway — abandoning things the second he doesn't get his way.

When class is dismissed I go to Professor Warren's desk. He looks up from his papers and smiles at me.

"What can I do for you, Ms. West?"

"I just wanted to thank you for an interesting class. You're really good at what you do, you know? Please don't be put off by Lucas's behaviour. It had nothing to do with your class or material. He has family problems so he's been lashing out."

"Yes, I was very sorry to hear." He takes his glasses off and sets them down. "And if my knowledge is correct, his mother is your aunt?"

"Not by blood," I clarify. "Both my parents and his are best friends so growing up together we considered each other family."

"And that would mean that you are also going through what he's going through. I'm sure this isn't easy on you either."

My throat tightens briefly. As bad as it sounds I've been trying not to think about it. It's just so overwhelming. "Yes. It's trying times for all of us."

"Well, I want to thank you for your professionalism and kindness in the face of everything. You're very bright, Ms. West. Bright with a spine of steel."

"Thank you," I smile. "I'll see you next week."

"I hope so," He nods back. God, he's sweet. He didn't deserve what Lucas did. I meant it when I said I'm going to talk to Uncle Jax. I know him and Lucas are already at odds and this is going to make it worse but I don't care. Lucas is spiralling out of control and that's not going to help anyone. Everyone needs to stop making excuses for him.

When I step outside the building the sun is out again. It's a little breezy but nice enough for a walk so I figure a coffee run is next. I need to take my mind off things. I've just started down the sidewalk when someone calls for me. I turn around and find a guy jogging toward me but I don't recognize him.

"Hey," He says breathlessly when he reaches me. "It's Olivia, right?"

"Yeah," I hoist the strap of my shoulder bag higher. "Do I know you?"

"Not yet," He grins and holds a hand out. "I'm Beck. I just had Astronomy with you."

"Right. Hi," I shake his hand and briefly place him. I think he was sitting behind me. He was already in his seat when I walked into class and I remember thinking he was cute. He has that whole brown eyes brown hair thing going on with an adorable smile that reveals two dimples. "Sorry I didn't recognize you."

"That's okay. It was a busy class," He stuffs his hands in his pocket. "Cage is...interesting."

I snort. "That's one way to put it."

"You were really bad-ass in there, standing up for the prof like that. You're really outspoken. It's refreshing."

"Thank you. Both my parents are that way so I've always been the type."

"Must be cool having a famous dad, huh? Man. Cameron West. He fought like a machine in his days."

"Thanks," I smile a little warily this time. It's hard to tell when someone is being genuine or just trying to use you because your dad is a legend. I've lost a lot of friendships over the years because people were more concerned about wanting to look cool than actually caring about me. I hardly make new friends now, at least ones I take seriously.

"Oh, I really didn't mean it like that," Beck clarifies when he notices my expression. "I mean yeah, it's awesome your dad is Cameron West but I'm more interested in you. I mean, you really impressed me in class. I...uh..."

He trails off then while he tries to find the right words. I cross my arms, amused as hell. I can tell he's being sincere and that makes his nerves all the more appealing.

"Look," He blows out a breath. "Could I buy you a coffee sometime? Maybe you could tell me more about those constellation stories you know?"

I laugh under my breath. So he does know what he's doing. I jerk my head to the right. "I was just on my way to grab one. Your treat?"

"Absolutely," He grins. Those deep-seated dimples definitely make my stomach do a little dip. Ok, he's cuter than I thought he was. "So, tell me about you."

We start walking then and fall into easy conversation and it's nice. Nice and normal and easy. Everything Lucas isn't. And that's exactly what I like.

__________________________

A/N

Goddamn! The angst and drama came to play in this chapter!

So yeah, what I said about Lucas not being everyone's cup of tea? Exhibit A. And if you think this is bad, he's going to get worse. This is Lucas in a good mood pretty much. He is the asshole of all assholes and guess what? I love it.

But if he's not for you, then you don't have to read this story and you definitely don't have to leave comments about how you don't like him. Instead, lend me your patience or you'll sorely miss out on his kick-ass character development and the way this story will hit you everywhere.

Please VOTE, comment and share if you liked this chapter!

Happy Reading :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

629K 27.8K 17
The only worthy man is the man willing to spill blood. There is no greater gang feared in the streets of New York than South Bloods. They kill, they...
4.4M 101K 49
Dakota is just like every other 17 year old high school senior. Or that's what everyone thinks. Everyone sees Dakota as this funny, sarcastic, and...
43.1K 1.6K 62
"I already killed your mother, Cam." As the words left my enemy's mouth like a mocking sneer, I growled under my breath at the mention of my old name...
4.8M 171K 44
*Warning: LABELLED MATURE. Due to sexual content and graphic language, this book is recommended for readers 17+ in age* *CANNOT be read without readi...