The Art of the Con (???xMRead...

By kofpoponce

Meet Kim Y/N, a con artist, a rising star on the street. With partner-in-crime Jeongyeon, Y/N forms a 6-perso... More

Preface
Character Introductions
Chapter I - The Grab
Chapter II - The Makings of a Crew
Chapter III - The Combat Specialist
A New Character Appears...
Chapter IV - Pisces
More characters!
Chapter V - The Actress
New Character
Chapter VI - The Protege
The Final Member
Chapter VII - The Initiation
Chapter VIII - Rules
Chapter IX - Recon
Chapter X - Tutelage
2k Reads!
Chapter XI - Showtime
Chapter XII - Close Call
Chapter XIV - So Close, Yet So Far
Chapter XV - On the Run
Chapter XVI - Catch Me If You Can
Chapter XVII - Confess
Chapter XVIII - At Rest
Chapter XIX - A Familiar Face
Chapter XX - Jailbreak
Chapter XXI - One Final Toast
Chapter XXII - At Long Last
Epilogue
Thank You, Credits, and Happy Dahyun Day
Extra Dahyun Day Present
5k reads + Special Announcement
10k reads!!!

Chapter XIII - Within Our Grasp

485 38 21
By kofpoponce

Dahyun was a talker, not a listener. Listening to Jimin talk about something of little interest to her was something she was not mentally prepared for. Furthermore, the anxiety of the heist was starting to eat away at her confidence.

"Hey, babe." She placed her hand on Jimin's shoulder and gave it a slight squeeze. "I'm going to go use the restroom. I'll be back in a second."

She stepped away, rubbing her temples with two fingers. As she bobbed and weaved through the horde of businesspeople, she exited the ballroom and silently slipped into the ladies' room.

She washed her hands with cold water and splashed some on her face. She exhaled, gazing back at her pale face.

"Why is this so hard?"

She continued to look at herself and tucked a stray lock behind her ear, exhaling once more. Behind her, a toilet flushed. Out came Yoongi's assistant, Suhyun, head down, absorbed by her phone. She wore an evergreen-sequined dress that wrapped snugly above her knees. She looked up and stumbled back a couple of paces, surprised by Dahyun's presence in front of her.

"Ah, I'm sorry," she said with a slight chuckle. "I didn't expect anyone else in here."

Dahyun gave her a soft smile and stepped to the side. "That's alright. I was just leaving."

She shook off the water from her hands and made her way to the door as Suhyun began to wash her hands.

"Sorry," began Suhyun. Dahyun turned around. "Have I seen you somewhere before? You look very familiar."

Dahyun just smiled and shrugged. "I just have one of those faces."

Dahyun slid back into the ballroom and scurried around the back to help herself to another glass of champagne. Spying Jimin at the opposite end of the room, she scampered over to an open tray of champagne glasses and plucked one off. She took a light sip, allowing the carbonated liquid sizzle down her throat.

"Ms. Yoojin." To her surprise, it was Yoongi. "I apologize if I came off as rude earlier but being a CEO is not all fun and games."

Dahyun respectfully bowed. "Mr. Min, I—"

"Please," interrupted Yoongi. "Call me Yoongi."

Dahyun smiled. "Well Yoongi, I heard a lot of things from Jimin but I wanted to hear some from you personally. I have a good idea of YGM already but perhaps you can tell me more about the board?"

Yoongi nodded. "Yes. Well, on our website, you can find our entire board there but if we were to look behind the scenes, one could say it mainly revolves around seven individuals, myself included."

He pointed across the room to a group of men wearing suits.

"Aside from your boyfriend off chatting with guests, those five would be the remainder of the seven. The tall one over there is Kim Namjoon, my personal advisor. Very talented and intelligent individual. Standing to his right is Jeon Jungkook. He's the youngest one of our crowd and in charge of HR. Anything goes shit, he cleans it up and he does it very well. "

One of the men from the group dispatched from the group, veering towards the green-laced Suhyun. He grabbed her wrist and pushed them pressed against the wall.

"That would be our Mr. Worldwide Handsome, Kim Seokjin, Head of Marketing, and loves to tease the hell out of Ms. Lee, my secretary. But to be honest..." His voice dropped to a whisper. "We know they're dating and they just enjoy being very dramatic about it. Ms. Lee isn't as big on PDAs as Seokjin is."

Dahyun watched as Suhyun pushed Seokjin off her with a frustrated look on her beetroot cheeks. There were chuckles all around as Suhyun left with a huff with Seokjin trailing closely behind, probably trying to justify his actions. He reminded Dahyun of an injured puppy, whimpering and running off with his tail between his legs. As if that wasn't enough drama, a beautiful woman outfitted in a beautiful ocean-blue dress stormed over and aggressively spun around one of the board members whose back faced Dahyun. A slight gasp left her face as she did her best not to give away any recognition of the man. 

It was the spitting image of V.

"Uh, wh-who's that?" Dahyun asked in an attempt to subtly justify her shocked expression. She cleared her throat. "Looks like a lovers quarrel."

Yoongi sighed. "That would be Mr. Kim Taehyung, my head of security, and his wife, Lee Jieun. There have been rumors of affairs but no one knows for certain. Anywho, that last guy over there..."

Dahyun had stopped listening almost immediately as she observed Taehyung being dragged away by Jieun. The thought of being caught engulfed her mind. What would happen if she got caught? How bad would the fallout be? What would Y/N think if she messed up? Would he come to help her?

"Hey! Yoojin?" Yoongi waved his hand in front of her face. "You zoned out..."

Dahyun blinked for a second and rubbed her eyes. "I'm fine," she said. "Just a little curious about the drama revolving around Taehyung."

Yoongi dismissed it with an exaggerated wave of his hand. "He'll be fine. They'll probably bounce back in a couple of hours. But enough about YGM, how about you? What do you do?"

Dahyun was stunned. She had forgotten to prepare a backstory for the event in case someone asked.

It couldn't hurt to sprinkle a little truth in the lies, she thought.

"I'm a magician," she said. "Hobby-turned-profession. I specialize in coin sleight-of-hand but in the troupe I've been performing with lately, I've been assigned the role of 'the Seer' so I've been mainly focused on readings and divinations through psychic means."

Yoongi modded, face stretched with interest.

"'The Seer'?" He asked questionably. "So like a soothsayer?"

"Yes, for the most part, I've mimic psychics in their supernatural abilities to see the past, present, and future of people through palm readings, tarot cards, et cetera."

"Can you do one for me now?" Yoongi inquired. "If you can, that is?"

Dahyun smirked at Yoongi's somewhat condescending tone. Of course, she was up for the challenge.

"What kind of psychic would I be if I couldn't read your palms?"

Dahyun gently grabbed his right hand by the wrist and turned it palm up. She grasped his fingers and pressed them together. Earth hands. Maybe a touch of fire. "Right-handed, right?"

Yoongi nodded with a slightly shocked look on his face.

"Don't be surprised," said Dahyun. "Statistically, there's just more right-handed people than left-handed people in the world."

Her two hands spread open his right hand, the creases in his hand slowly unraveling themselves. Her left hand grasped his right thumb and pulled it away from his palm as her left hand spread his fingers open.

Short fingers. Broad palms. Probably Earth with a mix of Fire.

"You're a very straight-forward, logical person," began Dahyun. "All about tradition and you're very down-to-earth. You see life in a very practical manner, not like a daydreamer, which makes you the sort of person who, in the nicest way possible, gets what they want."

Yoongi smirked.

"This tends to result in a rather stable and secure individual but then comes this issue with immediate realities. They tend to get in the way of long-term planning or goals, which in foresight, is not very advantageous to most of your plans. There is also a hint of strong energy, charisma, and confidence, probably resulting in the personality type of a natural-born leader, a risk-taker, driven by a strong desire. Does this make sense to you?"

Yoongi nodded with a slight chuckle. "Spot-on."

Dahyun smiled and resumed her reading. "You naturally hold your fingers tight together. A very strong indicator of a rather closed-off personality. You find it difficult to divulge or share secrets with others, possibly resulting from a natural suspicion of other people."

She pried his hand open even more. With Yoongi's right hand gripped in her left hand, her finger traced the lines on his palm.

"This here―" She drew her finger across the northern regions of his palm. "―is your Heart Line. It is representative of your state of heart. As you can see, it is so faint, I would almost call it non-existent. This tends to be indicative of someone who is logic-oriented, not very emotion-driven. The briefness of the line shows how romance is of little importance to you as an individual. The line underneath it is your head line, representing your state of mind. Its immense presence on your hand suggests incredible memory and intellectual feats, thus leading to heightened focus and success. You are methodological and very keen to detail. These crosses underneath it suggest important decisions that dictate your fate. Judging by the placement of these crosses, I'd say you have already encountered one some years ago, maybe before you became the CEO, but there is another one that comes possibly soon that may result in an unprecedented demise."

Upon that final line, Yoongi's hand jerked back. He did not look very pleased. Dahyun innocently looked up and said, "Please disregard it. I just look at your hands and make something up and try to sound as convincing as possible. That's all there is to it. I'm sorry if I scared you in any way."

Yoongi looked at her and took a deep breath. His left hand rubbed his right wrist, probably a habit to calm his nerves.

"Hey!"

Dahyun twirled around to find Jimin's arms reach around her neck and clasp together, pulling the two close together.

"What're you guys talking about?"

Almost expressionless, Yoongi continued to massage his hand. "You pursue a very interesting individual. But I'm afraid right now I must take my leave. I have other guests to attend to."

On that unsettling note, Yoongi departed into the crowd of party guests as Jimin stood confused behind Dahyun.

"What did you do to him to piss him off?"

She watched Suhyun approach Yoongi and converse in somewhat hushed tones. With a shrug, she sighed.

"Just a bad party trick."

----

Y/N paced back and forth in Yoongi's abnormally large office. Rosé was still tapping on the wall, trying to find any hidden secrets the room might hold. Jennie lied on the carpeted center in front of the desk, staring aimlessly at the ceiling.

"This carpet feels like a rock," complained Jennie.

"Then don't sleep on it," Rosé whipped back sarcastically.

Y/N paid no mind to the two friends babbling back and forth. His first and foremost priority was that safe.

Where would Yoongi hide a safe in this room?

He continued to pace around the room, eyes glazing over the walls and the furniture. It has to be here somewhere. His eyes continued to follow across the walls until it settled on Jennie, who still laid snug on the rug. Y/N walked to the edge and gave it a slight tug.

"Jennie, get up and help me with this."

Jennie rolled off the rug to join Y/N as they both rolled up the rug. Beneath the rug was a beautiful hardwood floor, but in the center lied a big metal safe.

"Bingo," whispered Rosé.

She knelt down before the dial and pulled out a stethoscope.

"How does that actually work?" asked Jennie.

"Pins," responded Y/N. "She's listening for the pins to drop. It'll help her find the combination code."

"Shush!" interrupted Rosé through gritted teeth. "You keep talking, I won't find those pins."

Y/N drew his breath as he watched Rosé slowly turn the dial.

"So what's in there?" asked Jennie much more quietly.

"You'll see."

A large click echoed throughout the whole room.

"Jackpot..."

The safe door popped open and Rosé swung it open.

[Please Enter Biometrics: 10... 9... 8]

Rosé's eyes practically popped out of her face as two eyepieces rose from the safe.

"Shit!" she cried out. "We're fucked. We're so fucked."

[6... 5... 4...]

Y/N rushed forward and shoved Rosé over. Hurried, Y/N stuck his eyes into the device.

[Scanning Biometrics... Biometrics Accepted.]

Panting, Y/N leaned back and collapsed on the floor. Jennie and Rosé sat there staring at the safe as the locks loudly popped out of place. Y/N sat up and stared at the two girls. "I don't think my adrenaline's pumped this hard before."

Rosé chuckled.

"What the hell just happened?" asked Jennie.

"Iris recognition biometric scans have a 90-99% accuracy rate. Just gotta bank a little bit on luck and room for error."

Rosé stared at Y/N. "So you mean to say we just got lucky?"

Y/N shrugged as he stared at an eerie blue light illuminated from within the safe.

"Who knows..."

"Can we take a look inside please?" begged Jennie.

A comforting wave of humor washed over the group as Y/N leaned forward to open the safe. As he lifted the safe door, the blue light grew brighter, blinding everyone from sneaking a peek at its contents.

"Papers?" said Jennie. "That's all that's in here?!"

She reached in and pulled out the blue pieces of parchment, examining them as Rosé and Y/N tried to recover from the blue glare.

Jennie frantically searched the interior of the safe again, this time coming up with a diamond slightly bigger than her thumb.

"No freaking way," muttered Rosé. "This can't be real. I mean, the size is absurdly enormous."

Y/N let out a chuckle. "Once we fence this, you'll all be able to live comfortably for the rest of your life."

Rosé gingerly picked up the stone and weighed it in her hand. "This has got to be at least 100 carats, maybe even 130."

She turned to look at Y/N. "This was our objective?"

Y/N picked the blue papers in the safe and gently rolled them up. "The stone is everyone else's share after it's sold. I got what I came here for."

He closed the lid of the safe as Jennie and Rosé rolled the carpet back over.

"Now what?" asked Rosé.

"Now," said Y/N with a little grin on his face. "We get the hell out of here."

(a/n: so fun fact. I do magic for fun and I kinda wanted to have Dahyun to have that kind of background too haha. There is this branch of magic called "mentalism". Unlike magic, the idea is to connect with other people on a more supernatural level. One method is called readings. Readings are a tool that false psychics and mind readers use to learn more about you. The reading that Dahyun used is called palmistry, the art of reading palms. I literally had to go research and learn palmistry just for this chapter. I hope you enjoyed it.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.1K 3.6K 28
❝ I don't remember you ❞ ❝ I remember only you ❞ Jungkook is a police officer who lost his husband in a car accident seven months ago and on the same...
29.4K 949 33
As I was about to go to sleep, two messages popped up on the screen of my phone. "I've planned a small one day picnic for us tomorrow. Just you and m...
23.5K 1K 26
π“’π“žπ“π“£π“‘π“π“’π“£ π“œπ“π“‘π“‘π“˜π“π“–π“” π“£π“ž 𝓐 𝓒𝓣𝓑𝓐𝓝𝓖𝓔𝓑. Y/n a very simple girl but her family wasn't simple. Her father was a CEO of a company...
32.9K 2K 12
In which both Jungkook and Chaeyoung losing every chance they got to experience the art of becoming one. »»-----!!!-----«« To be safe, it's rated for...