Paradox of Time

By Yel_lue04

When I opened my eyes, people seem to be displeased that I did so. It seems like, they wish I was asleep for... More

#1: Locked Up
#2: Closet Game
#3: The Arrogant Lady
#4: Tutor's Dilemma
#5: Who She Likes
#6: Unknown Person
#7: The Silver Head Maid
#8: Another Character
#9: 15th Birthday
#10: Deep Inside
#11: Snakes And Rats
#12: Hand Raised
#13: It's Not A Dream
#14: Welcome To My Life
#15: Growing Up
#16: Who Will Go Home
#17: Extension
#18: Hero's Welcome
#19: She Came Back
#21: Replacement For The Prince
#22: Finally, Last Day
#23: Who Left and Stayed?
#24: First Task
#25: Finding Answers
#26: Tea Time
#27: Assured By Your Words
#28: Execution
#29: Just Yesterday
#30: GREAT ESCAPES
#31: Misfits
#32: Uncaged
#33: To Be Free
#34: Shocking News
Special Chapter: The Sea
#35: Across the Ocean
#36: Incident At The Wedding
#37: The Sight of Your Back
#38: A Day-Off
#40: The Fall of Andaria
#41: A Glimpse of You
#42: As Promised: The End
Final Special: Falling Again

#20: Coping Up

382 27 1
By Yel_lue04

2nd Day of the Festival 
Eleanor's Room

Eleanor wore a blue dress with a few  embroidery on the side.

"If you're dressed like this, you won't attract men", Gilbert peeked in. "Gil. It's been a long time", Eleanor tried to hug the man but Charles appeared behind Gilbert. Eleanor felt like Gilbert was going to lose their job if she hugged him in front of Charles. "Off I go, father. Is this the right way to bow", she practiced. 

Charles sighed and assisted her to stand. "After today, you will be wearing your cloak. You look good on your mother's dress", he commented and kissed her head. "Before I leave, I'd like to check on Saphira", Eleanor looked at Mari. She led the way headed to the nursing home. 

The mansion had another extension house where sick and old maids were placed to be taken care of. Saphira gave birth some months ago and the baby is already 5 months old. "Milady", Saphira fell on her knees and bowed so low. The baby started to cry. "I am so much in debt with you", Saphira cried. Eleanor raised her and hugged the maid. "You've been strong, Saphira. Then, did you name her Bella?", Eleanor asked. Saphira nodded. "I also told her foster parents about it", Saphira smiled. Eleanor flinched but didn't make it too obvious. Maids who were enslaved due to war weren't allowed to leave their masters. If she keeps the baby in the mansion, the baby will be enslaved as well. "You're such a strong woman, Saphira", Eleanor commended and understood her decision.

Outside the Palance

Of all the places, why do I have to be stuck here? Also, my work starts today.

She got down from the carriage and walked towards the Palace Hall. She looked behind just to see if Keane would be there. She continued walking and caught some maids whispering in her peripheral vision. "Lady Eleanor, You have arrived", Chancellor Dan smiled. Eleanor gave a bow. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Chancellor. I owe you my position in the Council", Eleanor raised her head. "Don't make it sound like that. You're the one who took the exam", Dan patted her shoulder. Eleanor studied the man. He's nowhere close to being like Aileen who is stern and stoic.

"Aileen got her features from her mother", Dan informed. Eleanor flinched. "Are you able to read minds", Eleanor sighed and proceeded. Dan showed her the way toward the Crown Prince's Office. She was amazed at how the Palace was decorated. It suits her taste.

"Aileen was assigned by the Emperor to take care of the Palace", Dan said before leaving her at the front door. "Is he some kind of mentalist?", Eleanor shivered and knocked.

Crown Prince's Office

Liam opened it. "Lady Eleanor. We are waiting for your arrival. I apologize that there will be no welcome party. We are in a great pinch right now", Liam pointed at the pile of papers on the table.

"Greetings to the future hope of Andaria", Eleanor bowed. "And... I'll be roaming around. Some guest might need some directions", Liam excused himself.

No, don't leave us behind.

Eleanor closed the door behind her. "I am already here at your service, your highness. How may I help you?", Eleanor asked.

The Prince just stared at the report made. He's going to have another all-nighter job to finish the paperwork. "Pour me some tea", he said with a calm tone. Eleanor wasn't sure if her presence irritated him this time. Eleanor did just as she was asked.

Xylan sat on the table and sipped through her tea. He reacted a bit.

Was it bitter for him?

Was it too sweet?

"You just came back and you're stuck here with me to finish this paperwork. It's so unfortunate for you", Xylan finally looked at her. Eleanor pressed her lips together. She doesn't feel comfortable around the guy. Why? Because...

I freakingly confessed to him just a year ago.

"It's my duty, Your Highness", Eleanor bowed and sat at the other table prepared for her. She looked at the papers and they were all financial statements of all the money that was entering the Kingdom because of the festival. "Liam said that you're good in arithmetic. I'll leave you to that", Xylan said then started to look into the papers again. Eleanor wondered where Keane would be at this time.

Time passed and Xylan looked at the clock. Someone knocked and Eleanor went to get it. "Here I am. I heard you started working so I volunteered to deliver your food. Hang in there, brother", Keane peeked in. "Your Highness, I was looking for you when I first came. I have a gift for you", Eleanor searched in her pocket and dropped the amulet bracelet in Keane's hand. "They said it attracts physical strength", Eleanor whispered. "I'm so touched", Keane chuckled. "Then, enjoy your meal. I am also busy touring the nobles around", Keane winked at her and then left.

"I'd be preparing your meal as well, Your Highness", Eleanor closed the door and pushed the cater of dishes. She arranged them neatly on the center table. She stared at Xylan who seemed to be concentrating on his work. "Your Highness", Eleanor called his name. He didn't react. Eleanor went closer but the Prince didn't seem responsive. Eleanor grabbed the paper he was reading. "Your Highness, you have to eat your meal. You are a very important person in the Empire. You should take care of your body" Eleanor's older self is kicking in. Xylan was impressed that she was talking so politely. He became obedient and sat at the center table. "I'll be on the side, Your Highness", Eleanor looked away. "Eat with me", Xylan allowed. Eleanor flinched. There's no way she could even swallow a grain of rice. She did a lot of embarrassing things to the prince. More of it, the previous Eleanor was crazy in love with him.

Eleanor notices how elegant the Prince is when he eats. Also, he's got an amazing posture. "Are you treating Lady Claudia well? I guess you've heard that she is a candidate for being an Empress", Xylan opened. Eleanor choked and grabbed the tea. She was able to drink before being choked to death. Xylan just watched with a straight face.

How could he open that kind of topic?!

"Well. I was surprised when I heard it but if it's Claudia, I believe that she's not too hard to fall in love with. She's sweet and caring", Eleanor pointed out. Xylan remembered that he also mentioned that before. "Someone with that kind of bubbly character won't stand the atmosphere here in the Palace. Father is still rooting for Lady Aileen", Xylan looked at Eleanor but immediately looked away.

Why is he suddenly talking about it? Could it be that he's worried about his coming of age? It won't be that long. Also, doesn't he have anyone to consult this with?

"Whoever you choose, I believe she'll be a great Empress", Eleanor smiled. Xylan was able to catch a glimpse of it. Is she still faking things? If she is, then why does he feel the warmth of her smiles? 

Chapter end.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 26 23
23 year old Human, M, is woken up from a Cryo Stacis chamber, having discovered that he slept for a thousand years, and the world being populated by...
41K 1.6K 47
"𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘶𝘮𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘮𝘺 𝘱𝘢𝘪𝘯, 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘳𝘴... 𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘮𝘺 𝘭𝘪𝘧𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘴.... 𝘬𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘮𝘦...
2.5K 155 7
[adrienxgenderneutral!reader] disparate /things so unlike that there is no basis for comparison/ ━━ Rich people are the worst. ━━ disclaimer: i dont...
495K 8.4K 84
Requests are always open. Message me the details. Oh and if you get any of the references(welcome sinners) 😉