Tis the Season: A Christmas R...

By mangomonkey13

To say that Noelle hated the holiday season was a severe understatement. First was her name, which the kids... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 12

4.7K 235 5
By mangomonkey13

Nic's Family Christmas Tree

Noelle's POV

I am so screwed.   Staring in my closet trying to come up with what to wear to a Christmas Eve dinner?   How the hell would I know.   I haven't really celebrated the holiday since I was a kid.   Shit, the last family dinner I went to was at Brian's house and that was a disaster.    Since he hated his dad we rarely spent anytime with them.    

Me and families do not mix well.   Boardrooms of executives no problem.  An auditorium of students, piece of cake.   Parents and families, fuck I was clueless.   I didn't know how to relax around all that...happiness?   My family was wonderful and loving, but I was young when they died and I don't remember much.  My aunt tried her best, but she was a very closed off person and the word emotion was not in her vocabulary.  

I learned early on that she was not a shoulder for me to cry on.  Or the person to turn to when you needed advice.   She provided for me and helped me ease into the role of managing a company.  I spent my summers and breaks working and learning the ropes.   I had no issues with working since I found out people were only nice to you depending on the amount you had in your trust fund.   I threw all my energy in learning every aspect of the family business.   My aunt was acting CEO at the time, stepping in for my dad, so she was able to groom me for the position.  

She taught me all I needed to know when it came to business, but she never bothered with the family lessons.   Just great...fucking great.   Why did I agree to this when Nic called me last night?   I should have stayed strong and declined, but just the sound of his voice had my panties soaked.   I could not refuse this man anything.   Hell, I wasn't even sure yet is I ever wanted to refuse him anything.  

Stop Noelle with the crazy thoughts....focus on clothes.

Sighing, I grabbed my black fitted pants and cream cashmere sweater to go with my high black boots.    It was simply yet classy.   I added some pearl earrings, bracelet and necklace to complete the outfit.   Heading into the bathroom, I still needed to tackle hair and make up.   Trying to tame my wild red hair, I did a side braid from one sided wrapped around to the other in the back and then tied it off letting the tail drape down my shoulder.  I loved the Queen Elsa look of me.  Topping off my make up with a light lip gloss I headed downstairs to grab my coat.

The doorbell rang before I even made it to the bottom step.   He was early.   Okay deep breath Noelle, you can do this.   Just act normal and know one will realize that you suck at mingling.

Walking over to the door, I took one last deep breathe before opening it.   Nic stood there looking extremely handsome.   He was dressed in black slacks with a heavy wool over coat. 

Stepping past me his lips crashed down to mine as he shut the door with a bang.   His hands grabbed my shoulders pulling me closer to his body.

"Hell Kitten, I missed you so much.   24 hours is way too long to spend apart from you.  I cannot wait to have you all to myself later tonight."  He whispered as he placed kisses all along my jaw and neck.

A small sigh passed my lips, I loved the effect this man had on me.   My body goes from zero to a hundred with just the touch of his mouth on my skin.

Pulling back he placed on last kiss on my lips before helping me into my coat.   He waited while I closed up and locked the house.  With his hand on my lower back he guided me to his truck and helped me up before going around to the other side to get in.

The drive to his house took about 10 minutes and he drove slow due to all the snow.   As we made our way to the door he kissed me one last time.   "Relax kitten, they are going to love you as much as I do."

I was as confident as he was.   And I was still questioning the whole love thing.   I mean its only be a week, right?

The house was beautiful.   From the entry you could see directly to the main family room where the fire was roaring and the decorated tree stood in the corner.   Chairs were scattered all around to accommodate all the family members.   To my right was a giant log staircase that led to the second story wrapping around the whole upstairs exposing all the doors to the many rooms.   The entire banister and railings were decorated in garland and lights.   The whole atmosphere was very welcoming and homey.  Nothing like I imagined.   The Rosemounts were very affluent and well off.  From the grandness of the house, one would anticipate the inside to be very elegant and formal, so not the case.   This was a home and one that was well lived in.  

Nic took off my coat and placed it on the rack by the door than escorted me further into the home.   Kissing my cheek, he reassured me that all would be great and to relax.  

After all the formal introductions were done, we all settled down for dinner.   The whole experience was very surreal for me.   Most nights I ate alone, mostly in front of the TV.   It was odd to be apart of a true family dinner.   Complete chaos surrounded me.   The five kids at the end of the table were arguing who made the best cookies, while their parents cut up their food.   Nash and Nixon, Nic's father were arguing over the football game that just ended.  

Nic's mom fluttered around making sure everyone had what they needed.   Getting up several times to attend to the kids or back into the kitchen to get refills.   Did the woman ever have time to eat?   I in between Nate and Nic.   Nina, Nic's sister sat across from us with her husband George.   Looking around the table I could her at least 6 different conversations going on at once.   Ever now and then someone would direct a question my way.   At first it caught me off guard, but with Nic's hand resting on my knee I began to answer easier. 

This wasn't so bad...

Once dinner was done we all settled in the family room for coffee and dessert.  Nixon and I were discussing the current real estate market in the north east when Nash's statement silenced everyone.  "Holy Shit.   I just made the connection.   DKS Developments.   Noelle Snow.  You are the S in DKS aren't you?   Fuck you made the list of one of the most influential woman in business today by Forbes magazine!"

Well Fuck!   Here it goes.   My body tensed as I waited for everyone to react to Nash's proclamation. 

Sarah, Nic's mom reached over and smacked him across the head.   She then apologized for her sons sudden outburst.  Sending a glare his way that could melt all the snow outside. 

That's okay Sarah, they were bound to figure it out.   Excuse me for a moment."   I quickly made my way to the bathroom at the end of the hall and locked the door.   Leaning my hands against the counter, I let me head fall forward as I tried to ease the tension in my neck.   Nic as knocking on the door asking if I was alright.   Since I couldn't hide forever, I allowed him in. 

His arms came around me, pulling me to his chest.  "Kitten, I am so sorry.   My brother is an ass and between mom and his wife he is so screwed.   Please, don't take his reaction the wrong way, but you are something of a mystery in the business world.  I can't blame him for his reaction.  Hell I had a similar one.   Please come back in?"

I leaned into him for a few more seconds absorbing his strength before we headed back to the family room.  Nash apologize profusely to me upon our return.   He didn't mean to make me uncomfortable, he was just shocked at the realization of who I was.  

The rest of the evening progress on and soon Nic and I were stepping into my home.   The stress from the evening was just starting to build as the stroke of midnight approached.   It will mark the 18th year since that fateful night I lost my parents.  

After lighting the fire, Nic's arms circled around my waist as he kissed my neck.  

"My parents and family loved you kitten.   Other than my idiot of a brother, the evening was great.    Are you doing okay?"

No, how do I tell him that I am not doing okay?   Sure his family was wonderful, but I could tell that the atmosphere changed once they discovered who I was.   Sometimes I hate having money.   The statement money doesn't buy happiness is so true, at least for me.   Money was the cause of all the pain in my life, that was the true reason why I hid behind my board and team of presidents.

"Nic, we need to talk."  I took a seat on one of the chairs by the fire as he sat across from me.

"Nic, your family was great, very nice and welcoming.  But even you had to notice the way everyone treated me differently once they knew who I was.   And I get that.   I really do.   Being who I am comes with a lot of weight tied to it.   I hide for that reason.   I don't want to live in the public eye nor do I want it out in the open who and where I am.   Most don't know my connection to DKS, at least they didn't until that article a few months ago.    Since high school I have used my mother's maiden name, so I was able to step into the shadows easier."   Rubbing my hands down my arms, I tried to hold off the numbness that was creapping through me.  

"Nic.  You are a great guy and yes we have chemistry, but lets just leave it at that.  There is no future for me and you, you have to see that now.   Our businesses work together which is also a conflict.  I think it is best if we just end this now before either of us gets to involved."   

"Bullshit Noelle!   Total bullshit.  You are running scared and that is all this is.  Well I am not going to let you.   We have something and you know it.   What we have is so much more than some chemistry.   Hell I am already in love with you, I don't know how you don't see this.    I won't let you just throw this all away because you are scared of getting hurt.   I will not hurt you.  You have to trust me on this.   We are good together, hell perfect even.  Noelle please."

He was down on his knees in front of me, but I couldn't do this.   I couldn't let him in.   Too much has happened in the past for me to know that these things never end well.   I refuse to open myself up to the hurt and disappointment again.   I may be lonely and crave this connection we have but is it enough?  

"Nic, please.   This is all too much, too soon.   You have to give me some breathing room.   We meet, then bam you are in my bed, which was wonderful, then I am meeting your family...it is all too much.   You have to step back and give me some time.   Yes I am scared, but you would be too if you were me.   I am not used to all of this, I need space.   So go home.  Enjoy Christmas with your family.   Come back on the 27th and we will talk?  Please just listen to me on this."

Frustrated Nic stood and paced in front of the fireplace.  "Okay, you win.  Two days and then I am coming back.  Two days Noelle and then no more running.   I love you dammit and I will do anything I have to in order to prove that to you."

Placing a kiss on the top of my head, Nic grabbed his coat and stormed out of my house.  

I collapsed into the chair sobbing.   What was I going to do?  Could I love him?   My body and heart said yes, but my brain and common sense were screaming NO.  Why is this all so hard?   Maybe because my heart is so damaged, there may not be any hope.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

128 3 11
Several years after moving to San Francisco for a fresh start, home interior designer Noelle Clark returns to her hometown of Silverwood Falls for th...
11.2K 492 17
Noelle Banks has spent the last 5 years despising the fact that she presented as an omega. She feels stripped of her choices and a slave to her insti...
17.5K 1.8K 16
When Sutton gets dumped right before what was supposed to be a romantic Christmas weekend getaway in the mountains, she makes a Christmas vow: a man...
28.3K 415 21
It's a Calvin Christmas like no other - singing carols, reading 'Twas The Night Before Christmas, and Scott burning the turkey. Yep, your typical Ch...