Paradox of Time

By Yel_lue04

When I opened my eyes, people seem to be displeased that I did so. It seems like, they wish I was asleep for... More

#1: Locked Up
#2: Closet Game
#3: The Arrogant Lady
#4: Tutor's Dilemma
#5: Who She Likes
#6: Unknown Person
#7: The Silver Head Maid
#8: Another Character
#9: 15th Birthday
#10: Deep Inside
#12: Hand Raised
#13: It's Not A Dream
#14: Welcome To My Life
#15: Growing Up
#16: Who Will Go Home
#17: Extension
#18: Hero's Welcome
#19: She Came Back
#20: Coping Up
#21: Replacement For The Prince
#22: Finally, Last Day
#23: Who Left and Stayed?
#24: First Task
#25: Finding Answers
#26: Tea Time
#27: Assured By Your Words
#28: Execution
#29: Just Yesterday
#30: GREAT ESCAPES
#31: Misfits
#32: Uncaged
#33: To Be Free
#34: Shocking News
Special Chapter: The Sea
#35: Across the Ocean
#36: Incident At The Wedding
#37: The Sight of Your Back
#38: A Day-Off
#40: The Fall of Andaria
#41: A Glimpse of You
#42: As Promised: The End
Final Special: Falling Again

#11: Snakes And Rats

495 32 3
By Yel_lue04

Council Building

Eleanor still sits inside the carriage. Gilbert watches her do some kind of ritual. "Is that to keep yourself from getting nervous?", Gilbert asked.

"You said the exam includes talking to some member of the council. They are just people. So, I draw a person in my palm and eat them", Eleanor explained. Gilbert flinched. "You eat them", his facepalmed.

Rendell opened the door and offered his hand. She was wearing white gloves that Charles gave her as a lucky charm. "Rendell, let's go home", Eleanor pressed her lips together. Gilbert pushed her but Rendell was able to catch her. "Your studies will not betray you. I know you can do it", Gilbert drew a person in his palm. "Open your mouth", Gilbert commanded. Eleanor did so and Gilbert pressed his palm on her lips. "Go, now", Gilbert smiled. Eleanor flushed.

"Tch, you made it sound cool", Eleanor pouted then marched toward the gate.

She can see a lot of young and older men rush inside.

Examination Room

"Young people are taking this like a game?".

"Who allowed a kid to show up?!"

"This is my 10th try".

"Ah! This sucks, the examiner changed?"

"This means that all those mentoring about the exam is useless"

Eleanor breathed in and started to answer the exam paper. This was at par with the university test she had. Most importantly, she's doing well just as how she did on the University Entrance exam.

Wow. Gilbert taught me how to memorize the timeline of this empire. It's here.

Geography is a good thing that I have developed a pictogram way of reviewing.

The rest of the exams have much to do with politics.

They were given an hour to rest and the face-to-face examination with the council member will start.

Council Garden

Eleanor saw Saphira running towards her. "Be careful, Saphy", Eleanor held on her stomach. "Ah, of course. I was just relieved to see you before you go back inside", Saphira opened the basket and placed a mat to spread the foods they prepared for the lady.

"I'll be standing on the side, milady", Saphira bowed. "Saphy, why don't you join me as well? I won't be able to finish this much", Eleanor invited. "I don't think that is allowed by...", Saphira was cut off when Eleanor grabbed her hand.

"The head maid is not here", Eleanor chuckled.

Council Room

Eleanor was amazed to see how tall the ceiling was. The walls are also properly cushioned. The door is just enough for one person to fit in.

"Do you know why the council room is designed this way?", she heard a voice and she looked forward. It was a man wearing a coat of the council. He doesn't look too young and too old.

"The cushion on the walls will serve as a way for the sounds here in this room to bounce back. That will make the voice of the speaker louder. It will also be a countermeasure for eavesdropping. This room is where laws are being made. Those who shouldn't hear such agreements are not allowed to hear such", Eleanor answered with confidence. Her voice is stable but her feet are feeling weak. She feels like falling on the floor.

The member of the council raised his head. His eyes widened to see a woman in front of him. "I wasn't able to look at the list of examiners this year. You are a peculiar one", Rufus closed the book that he was reading since he was amused.

"I am honored to be able to take the examination", Eleanor bowed.

"Then, hmmm. Your name?", Rufus tilted his head.

"I am Eleanor from the House of Varian", she introduced.

"And", Rufus hummed.

What am I supposed to say? It's not like a modern interview. Shall I say where I went to school and stuff like that?

"I studied under Sir Gilbert. I decided to take my exam for the Council because I am interested in the governance of the Andaria empire. And to the best of my ability, I would like to be a contributor to the Empire's continuous prosperity", Eleanor explained.

"I wasn't talking about that though. Anyways, what are your thoughts about the merchants and the nobility factions?", Rufus broke the momentum.

Eleanor felt embarrassed for being so passionate and giving that answer.

She paused for a while. She remembered Aileen talking about the disparity between the two factions. Claudia also expressed her fear of being in a social gathering because of the noble's treatment of her.

"From what I read, the merchants had risen to power since the 10th year of Emperor Theodore's reign. So that means, it's been 10 years from now. From the record of the Ministry of Finance, the merchants had outnumbered the nobles for the first 5 years but the nobles found their way to topple the merchant's riches thanks to the chancellor. They have been going around competing against each other. The wealth of the kingdom had greatly increased because of that. But then, the relationships between these people were severed. Also, the middle class and the peasants are the ones who could feel the impact of their clashes. Peasants are being forced to work more and a lot of them are dying at a faster rate. The middle class is caught in between the factions from whom they would be buying their goods. Another setback is that Merchants and Nobles are venturing to sell their goods to the neighboring kingdoms because of the higher pay. Few times in that 10 years, the Empire was able to experience short famines", Eleanor paused to grab some air.

"What you are saying is? One of them should stop existing?", Rufus circled his finger on the book.

"No one has to stop existing. If one of them disappears, the balance will be tipped off. Just imagine a field without snakes. The rats will come to feed on the rice field. If the rats disappear as well, the snakes will die of hunger. They both exist for each other. The importance of having nobles and merchants compete in the market is for the quality of the goods to be maintained and for the prices to be kept at a minimal level that the people can afford. The only thing I would suggest if I could... Would be to stop exporting goods and start building markets inside the Empire", Eleanor defended her answer.

Rufus smiled and stood up. "Where did you get that answer? Did you prepare it ahead of time?", Rufus played with the curtain behind him. "Sir Gilbert and I had this discussion in our previous lessons. He taught me the consequences of the cold war between the two factions", Eleanor responded. "Then, your idea of them co-existing came from you", Rufus asked again.

"Yes, Elder", Eleanor nodded.

"You heard her, Your Majesty", Rufus opened the curtain and Eleanor saw the Emperor smiling and looking at her.

"Greetings to the hope of Andaria", Eleanor knelt.

"Raise your head, lady", Theo stood up and used his scepter to raise Eleanor's head. "Just a few years ago, you were constantly asking for my sons. Who knew that you were hiding your knowledgeable point of view? Are you doing this to win my favor, child?", Theo asked. Eleanor looked into Theo's dark blue eyes. "I do not wish any of your sons, Your Majesty. I desire to work in the council and assist you in the shadows", Eleanor said with conviction. Theo laughed.

"The Council will decide on that", Theo smiled and left the room.

Eleanor stood up but her knees wobbled. She was probably overwhelmed to stand close to the Emperor. Rufus caught her waist having Eleanor lean on him.

"Congratulations on passing your first screening", Rufus looked away.

I passed the second screening!

Chapter end.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61.3K 1.9K 53
"Monsters aren't born. They are created. Not from the imagination of someone's deepest fears, but from tangible negative energy. Darkness formed fro...
9K 212 27
♡Mostly Gojo/Geto/SatoSugu x Fem!Reader ♡May include other characters x reader in the future. ♡AUs, scenarios, oneshots, etc. ♡Mostly Female Reader p...
225K 10.4K 100
╰┈➤ ❝ 𝙒𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙚.. 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙝𝙚𝙡𝙡 𝙖𝙢 𝙄? ❞ ∘₊✧──────✧₊∘ You lived a normal and casual life in the twenty-first century. In fact, it would be a com...
234K 3.6K 49
this is my first story, so please bear with it all characters and pictures that appear in this story are not owned by me. this will be a harem story