Unspoken

By the_hooded_girl

Due to a traumatic event in the past, Milena has lost the ability to speak. With her family of travelers she... More

Unspoken
I
Chapter 1 Travelers of the Long Road
Chapter 2 Two birds of a feather
Note 1 Milosh kumpania
Chapter 3 You will meet a tall dark stranger
Chapter 4 The rose on the mountain
Note 2 Oszkar's kumpania
Chapter 6 Broken Trail
II
Chapter 7 Fires in the night
Chapter 8 The world outside the window
Chapter 9 Silence is the loudest scream
Chapter 10 Thieves and beggars
Note 3 Gadje - The Blackwood Household
Chapter 11 Rumor has it
Chapter 12 Pearls and roses
Chapter 13 Sophistication
Chapter 14 The girl from No Man's land
Chapter 15 If you're afraid of wolves, stay out of the forest
Chapter 16 The bond between friends
Note 4 Gadje - villagers and friends
III
Chapter 17 Lonely voices
Chapter 18 A shelter for the wind
Chapter 19 The wild at heart
Chapter 20 The sound of freedom
Note 5 - Branko's kumpania
Chapter 21 Roads untraveled
Chapter 22 New friends and old
Chapter 23 Friends in high places
Chapter 24 Family ties
Chapter 25 New paths to follow
Chapter 26 Home is where the heart is
Chapter 27 Chasing the storm
Chapter 28 Dancer in the dark
IV
Chapter 29 Names in the wind
Chapter 30 Nighttime conversations
Chapter 31 Messengers
Chapter 32 Heart of Winter
Chapter 33 Free spirits
Chapter 34 Convictions
Chapter 35 Paths in life
Chapter 36 Strays and other travelers
Chapter 37 The heart is like a river
Chapter 38 The wind whispered change
Chapter 39 The eye of the storm
Chapter 40 The long and winding road
V
Chapter 41 The call of home
Chapter 42 The end of the road
Chapter 43 The road ahead
Chapter 44 We will carry your name along the road
Epilogue

Chapter 5 When the owl sings in the night, death will follow in its flight

10.5K 394 13
By the_hooded_girl

Chapter 5 When the owl sings in the night, death will follow in its flight

“I would have thought you’d have more sense to you,” Aishe scolded them as she threw a towel at Ramiro.
He caught it and started drying off his hair and face.

Aishe turned to Milena, who she had planted on a stool. A dry blanket was over the girl’s shoulders and Aishe dried Milena’s hair with another towel.
“I have sense,” Ramiro countered, “the sense not to let Lenka stand in the rain. If I had no sense I would not have brought her to your wagon.”
The look his grandmother cast at him made him bite his tongue. “Forgive me, Puridaia, I spoke out of place.”
“Aye boy, you did. Do not stand there dripping on my floor. Look onto the shelves for something dry. Now turn around so Lenka can change.”
Ramiro turned his back to the women and Aishe helped Milena out of her gown. “Your father is already cross with you,” she told Ramiro, “must you make matters worse? What if he had seen you?”
“Even my father would understand…,” Ramiro turned to address his grandmother, but she pointed him the other way with a stern look on her face and he was quick to turn his back again. He had found a pair of clothes that had belonged to his grandfather and quickly put them on.
At the other side of the wagon, Milena averted her eyes and felt her cheeks heat up. Men and women did not change in front of one another unless they were wed. At least a curtain would divide the wagon if necessary. But Aishe had a wagon to herself and had no need for such a thing. Even though his back was turned to her, it was not proper.
Aishe sighed as she stepped in front of Milena to block her view. The old women muttered something about children and patience as she helped Milena to dress in one of her own nightgowns.
Outside, the rain had stopped and the thunder was only a vague echo in the darkness.
Aishe pulled Milena to her feet and pushed her towards the bed. “You’re staying here tonight, child.”
Milena sighed and meekly complied. She was used to going back and forth between wagons.
The first few nights she had shared Laszlo’s wagon because she was afraid of everyone else.
Once Daria had won her over, she had shifted to Cezar’s wagon, but when she grew older, Aishe had taken her in.
After Carmen’s husband had died from an infection, Milena had mostly stayed at Carmen’s wagon to help take care of Tsura.
It did not matter anymore which wagon she stayed at.
Aishe turned to Ramiro, who had changed into his dry clothes. “You will return to your father’s wagon. Do not give him more reason to harden his heart. You are both stubborn men.” She shook her head. “I pity your mother and sister.”
Ramiro sighed and glanced at Milena. He was about to say something, but his grandmother pushed him towards the door. “Out!’
She closed the door and sighed.
Milena hung her head and Aishe sighed again. “No tears, child. It’s not the end of the world Go to sleep. We’re leaving early on the morrow and we have to say farewell to Oszkar’s kumpania.” She patted Milena’s hair. “Sleep.”
Milena sighed and closed her eyes. The storm had made her wary. It didn’t take long for the sleep to take her.

***

Oszkar shook Milosh’ hand and grinned widely. “Latcho drom my man. We will meet again at the horsefair. I expect some of your best to be reserved for me, eh.”
Latcho drom,” Milosh said, “it was good to see you.”
“Remember my friend,” Oszkar said, “if you change your mind about my girls, just say the word. They’ll make good wives.”
“I will keep it in mind,” Milosh smirked.
Oszkar’s face turned serious. “One word of advice, my friend. You said you were headed West. Have a care where you set camp. They do not like our people there.”
“They do not like us anywhere,” Milosh answered.
“This is true,” Oszkar acknowledged, “the gadje have filled each other’s minds with untrue stories about our people. There is much fear. Have a care. Keep your young ones close and don’t let the women wander off alone.”
“I hear your words. We will take care.”

“Why did you leave in the middle of the night?” Daria clasped Milena’s arm, “I was worried when I did not find you this morning.”
Milena gave her an apologetic look and pressed her friend’s hand. She pointed at Aishe’s wagon.
Daria sighed. “Did you have a bad dream again? Lenka, I worry about you.”
Milena shook her head to let her know it was not necessary.
“Will you travel with us again today?”
Milena glanced at Cezar’s wagon. They were already tying in the horses. She caught a glimpse of Ramiro who avoided her eyes.
Milena sighed and shook her head at Daria.
“Daria!” Izabela called, “we are leaving.”
Daria gave her friend a pleading look. “Are you certain?”
Milena nodded and Daria hugged her. “We will speak tonight when we make camp.”
“Daria!”
“Coming mother.” She gave her friend one last, sad, glance and hurried to her family.
Milena sighed and looked at the wagon longingly. She did want to travel with them, but she did not want to be the cause for problems.
“Lenka,” Alec’s voice broke her thoughts and she turned to him. “We are breaking up. Do you have a wagon to travel with?”
Milena shook her head.
“There is room in our wagon,” a deep voice said behind her. 
Milena stiffened as she recognized the voice as belonging to Dorin.
Alec shifted his eyes between Milena and Dorin. He could feel the tense atmosphere, but was not sure what to do about it. Dorin was older than him. He could hardly stand up to him.
“Well?” Dorin said when Milena gave no reaction. It wasn’t hard to hear the annoyance in his voice.
“Lenka! Lenka!” Tsura came running at her, ignoring both boys at her side. “Momma says you can ride with us today. You will, right Lenka?” She hugged Milena’s waist.
Milena kneeled to the girl’s level and hugged her. She took Tsura’s hand and cast a sad look at Dorin. She wished she could like him better. Perhaps things would not be as hard.
“Come Lenka,” Tsura urged and started walking back to her mother.
Milena followed the little girl after one last glance over her shoulder.
Dorin stared after her. His fists stiffly at his side.
Alec bit his lip. Dorin turned to him. “What? You have something to say?”
“Nothing,” the boy answered and turned to leave. He cast Dorin a glance over his shoulder. “You know, you could try to be nicer to her. She is afraid of you.” He turned back and climbed onto the wagon next to his mother.

Carmen smiled at her warmly as she pulled herself onto the wagon after lifting Tsura on. “I thought you might need some help,” she said and winked, “I hope you don’t mind.”
Milena gave her a grateful look and sat herself down.
Carmen set the horse in motion and took her place in the long line of wagons. She sighed and kept her eyes on the wagon in front of her. “I have seen you last night with Ramiro.”
Milena flinched and lowered her head. Who else had seen her?
“Don’t worry Lenka. I am not upset with you. You love him, don’t you? Have a care. I know my sister’s husband. Don’t offend him.”
Milena bit her lip and nodded.
Carmen leaned over to her. “But between you and me, I think you make a lovely pair.”

***

Suspicious eyes followed the wagons as they drove past the small village. Hostile eyes. There were no friendly faces here.
Milosh sighed. It was as he had feared and Oszkar had warned him. It was harder every year for the kumpania to make camp in this region.
Still, this was the road they had to take.
He was wise enough not to stake camp too close to the village though. He knew of a field behind the woods, a few more miles behind the town. They did not  need to run into the villagers. The last few farms they had visited had provided them with food for a few more days and they could gather wood and water in the forest.
Milosh ignored the stares his kumpania received and clacked his tongue to put his horse in a slow trot. It was better if they didn’t linger here too long.

Ramiro fell in pace beside Carmen’s wagon. “Cezar says it is better to have a man on the wagon,” he said, “these gadje do not look to us kindly. You should not be alone.”
“Your father is wise,” Carmen said. She looked at Milena. “take Tsura to the back. It is safer if you are not seen.”
Milena nodded and took the child inside the wagon while Ramiro took her spot next to Carmen.
He took the reins from her. There was a solemn look on his face.
“Do you expect trouble?” Carmen asked.
“I do not know,” he answered, “but we should avoid the village.”
One of the village’s men spat at the ground as they passed him.
A cloth of dirt barely missed Laszlo’s wagon.
Children were directed into the houses and a group of young men gathered together. None of their looks were friendly. One of them spat again.
“Get out of here filthy gypsies,” one of them called.
A rock clattered against the side of Carmen’s wagon and Milena gasped.
Tsura screamed in fright and started sobbing. She crawled in Milena’s arms and the older girl held her tightly.
“Stay in the back,” Ramiro ordered softly. He had the horse pick up speed and follow the other wagons out of the village.
Tsura cried softly. “Why are they mean to us, Lenka? I’m scared.”
Milena patted the girl’s hair in an attempt to sooth her, but to be honest she was afraid as well. The hostility brought back memories she’d rather forget.
“It is alright, simensa,” Ramiro told Tsura, “we will make camp soon and I will tell you a story, alright?”
“It will be alright, my sweet,” Carmen soothed her daughter, “stay in the back with Lenka.”

“Lenka, stay with your brother…”

“Don’t set foot in this town, you thieving scum!” one of the village’s men shouted.
‘Why?’ Milena thought, ‘why do people hate us so? We haven’t done them any wrong.’
“Lenka, why are you crying?” Tsura asked with a trembling lip. She brushed a small finger across Milena’s cheek.
“It’s alright,” Ramiro said, “the town is behind us. We will make camp far from the village.” He glanced back at Milena and gave her a comforting smile which she was unable to answer.
Ramiro looked at her tear struck face and handed the reins to his aunt. He climbed over to where Milena and Tsura were sitting and cupped Milena’s cheek. “Shh, it’s alright. They can’t hurt you.”
Tsura peeked over Milena’s arm at her cousin. “Are you two going to get married now?”
Milena’s cheeks turned red and Ramiro grinned at his little cousin. “Go sit with your mother. I need to speak with Lenka.”
Tsura pouted. “You should not be alone if you are not married.”
Ramiro ruffled her hair. “You are absolutely right. Then you should keep an eye on us to make sure we behave.” He pointed at Carmen. “From there.”
Tsura sighed, but crawled over to her mother.
Ramiro smiled amused and then turned back to Milena. His eyes turned soft. “Lenka,” he said.
Milena looked down. The memory of the storm last night was still fresh and it sent pleasant shivers down her spine. She liked having him near. She liked it too much. He was not hers. He was meant for Ihrin.
Ramiro lifted her chin. “There is no need to be afraid,” he told her.
Milena shook her head. He did not understand.
He brushed her lip with his thumb.
“Ramiro!” Carmen said sharply, “not in my wagon! The road is clear now. Go back to your father’s wagon. We can manage on our own now.”
Ramiro sighed, but rose to his feet. He leaned forward to kiss his aunt’s cheek and ruffled Tsura’s hair. “You are my favorite aunt,” he told Carmen.
She swatted at him. “Off you go rascal.”
He grinned and jumped off the wagon.
Carmen shook her head and looked back at Milena. “Are you alright, Lenka?”
Milena nodded a bit dazed and climbed back to sit with her and Tsura. She was glad to leave the village behind, but she couldn’t shake off the feeling of unease.

Not an hour later there was another hold up.
Carmen pulled the wagon to a stop at the side of the road. The whole kumpania had come to a standstill and a few of the men were gathered around one of the wagons.
“Ihrin,” Carmen called when she spotted the young woman, “what has happened? Why do we stop?”
“Ersan’s wagon,” Ihrin answered while coming up besides Carmen’s wagon, “one of the wheels broke. They are untying the horses to repair it. We will have to stay the night.”
“It is too close to the village,” Carmen said concerned. She glanced over her shoulder. She didn’t like this place.
Milosh came their way, stopping at each wagon to exchange a few words, until he reached Carmen. He nodded at the women and turned to address Carmen. “We must make camp here. Ersan’s wagon needs repair and we do not have te material.”
“Are she and Alec alright?” Carmen asked.
Milosh nodded. “Yes. They were not injured. One of the horses is lame. Laszlo is tending to it. I will send some of the men into town to purchase tools for a new wheel and axle.”
“You’ll send them into town?” Carmen asked concerned, “are you sure it is wise?”
“Gadje like coin,” Milosh answered, though there was a dark look in his eyes, “they will not bother us as long as we pay their prize. And they wish to see us gone. The sooner we have what we need, the sooner they are rid of us.”
Milena bit her lip. She shared Carmen’s concern. Silently she hoped Ramiro would not be part of the group that would be send to the village.
Ihrin watched her and knew what she was thinking. “Come Lenka,” she said, “let us help Ersan empty her wagon.” She held out her hand. Milena looked at Carmen who nodded at her.
“Can I come too, mommy?” 
“No sweetheart, stay here. You’ll get in the way of the men. Lenka and Ihrin have to help Ersan.”
Milena patted Tsura’s cheek and jumped off the wagon to follow Ihrin.

Petsha and Dorin were lifting Ersan’s wagon with the help of Alec, so Ramiro and Sergei could wrench off the remains of the broken wheel.

Not far away, Laszlo was examining the horse’s hind leg while Luca was holding it by the reins.
Izabela and Daria were already helping Ersan. They were holding a basket filled with broken plates.
“Do you need some help?” Ihrin asked Ersan.
Milena lifted another basket.
“Did you see?” Daria asked while walking up to her friend, “the wagon hit a rock on the road and the wheel broke. Our wagon was right behind it.”
She picked up one of the broken plates and put it in Milena’s basket.
“Thank you for your help,” Ersan told them gratefully.
“Not many things are broken,” Ihrin informed Alec’s mother, “the men can bring some back when they go into town.”
Milena looked up nervously. Who would go? She glanced at the wagon. The men were drenched in sweat, but they had managed to get the wagon off the road.
“Vali will go,” Daria told her, “with Marius.” She sighed in concern, “they will not make it back before dark.”
“They might if they leave now,” Izabela noted.
Milena looked at the sky. The sun would go down in a few hours. She wished more would go then just Vali and Marius. The villagers did not like their people. 
On the other hand, if it were more than just the two, the gadje might see them as a threat.
She glanced at Daria. Her friend was concerned too. Vali was Petsha’s father after all.
Milosh headed back in their direction. “Aranka and Nina are gathering wood for the fire. There is a stream two miles from here.”
“The girls will get water,” Izabela said. She took the basket from Milena and placed it on a nearby log.
“It will go faster if the three of us will go,” Ihrin said. She took a large kettle and waited for Daria and Milena to join her with buckets.
The three girls crossed the makeshift camp to find the river. They crossed Vali and Marius on their way. The two men had tied one of the horses in front of a small cart and rode in the opposite direction.
“I am worried,” Daria confessed.
“There is the two of them,” Ihrin tried to reassure her, “it will be alright.”
But Milena too would be glad to travel again. This was not a good place to stop.

***

Gadjo approached the two men the moment they reached the village. “Didn’t we tell you to stay out of town? Get lost scum. We won’t have you steal our children!”
One of the men took a threatening step, but was stopped by one of his friends. “Careful William, they’ll put a curse on you.”
“I don’t care,” William said. He looked at the two strangers again. “Leave I say!”
Marius climbed off the wagon and raised his hands to show he was not a threat. “We only need supplies. We have coin to pay.” He paused and lowered his hands. “My name is Manus. This is my friend Igor. One of our wagons broke down. We need supplies to repair it so we can travel on.”
William and his men eyed them suspiciously. One of them leaned towards William, “Let them have whatever the need. The sooner they are on their way the better.”
William, who seemed to be the one in charge, considered it. He narrowed his eyes at Marius and Vali. “You will stay here,” he told them, “do not set foot in the village. We will bring you what you need and you will leave.”
“We will leave,” Marius nodded.
William turned his head without taking his eyes off Marius. “Thomas, George.”
Two men stepped forward. “So what do you need?” one of them asked.

***

They passed the men on their way back from the river. All five were drenched in sweat and in need of bathing.
“We took water from near the tree,” Ihrin said, “you can bathe downstream from there.”
“Thank you Ihrin,”  Sergei nodded at her, “tell the others at camp we will return shortly.”
“You three should make haste,” Dorin said, “the women should stay at camp tonight. This is not a good place to stop.”
“It’s not our fault the wagon broke,” Alec protested.
Dorin turned to him. “I did not say that.”
“We still have more water to carry,” Daria told the men, “we are too far from the stream to take all the horses. And we need to cook the evening meal.”
They had been back and forth three times.
“Return to camp,” Ramiro instructed kindly, “once we are finished and more water is needed, one of us will go with you.”
Daria nodded at her brother and the three of them returned to the others.
Ihrin looked at the darkening sky. “I am concerned for Marius and Vali,” she said, “perhaps we should have waited for the morrow to go into town.”
Gita, who was tending to the fire and steering the kettle filled with stew, overheard her words and turned to the girls. “We would have lost a day if we had. They will be back soon, you’ll see.”

***

“There,” William said while taking the purse with coin from Marius “you have what you came for. Now be on your way.”
Marius nodded at the man briefly. “We will go,” he assured them and he and Vali climbed on the wagon.
The village’s men watched the wagon ride out of town and William turned to the others. “Follow them. Take three men and make sure they leave. See where their camp is. If they come back, we’ll be ready.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

606K 24.2K 74
After dying in a tragic accident, Rhianne found herself transmigrated in a novel world as a character. To her much disappointment, she became the cha...
78.4K 4.3K 22
In a world where you have matching birthmarks with your soulmate, Dream and George weren't soulmates. In fact, they couldn't stand each other. Had D...
14.7K 591 12
This is a fiction, that imagines our GauRup in a parallel-verse. To this universe Rupali Ganguly and Gaurav Khanna carry only their names and chemist...
10.8K 292 17
When I was younger my siblings used to tell me about the family that lived in the mountains. They told me that once you went past the narrow dirt roa...