When They Were Gone

sylvia_shadow

[COMPLETED] A hacker and a military commander caught in a bloody civil war, join forces to find a vigilante t... Еще

Bombs
Why Do They Smile?
Guns
What Are They Here For?
Weapons
When Will They Stop?
Smoke
How Do They Neglect It? - I
How Do They Neglect It? - II
How Do They Neglect It? - III
Scouts
How Will We Get Around It? - I
How Will We Get Around It - II
How Will We Get Around It? - IV
Field
Where Are We Landing? - I
Where Are We Landing? - II
Where Are We Landing? - III
Where Are We Landing? - IV
Where Are We Landing? - V
Where Are We Landing? - VI
Aerocraft
How Did It Come To This? - I
How Did It Come To This? - II
How Did It Come To This? - III
How Did It Come To This? - IV
How Did It Come To This? - V
How Did It Come To This? - VI
How Did It Come To This? - VII
Chase
Why Did They Come? - I
Why Did They Come? - II
Why Did They Come? - III
Why Did They Come? - IV
Why Did They Come? - V
Why Did They Come? - VI
When
They
Were
Gone
A/N - Please Read Before The Epilogue
Epilogue: Where Do We Go From Here?
What Happens After?

How will we get around it? - III

38 4 14
sylvia_shadow

His hands gripped together, planted steadfast in front of his face as he stared at the blank, white wall. He shouldn't go. He should avoid ever seeing her again, he should refuse to do anything that would potentially put him in any more danger. He should stay and wait for everything to pass, make sure he wasn't suspicious for the next few days. And, if he did that, everything would go away and he could return to his job, his work in peace.

A shaky breath. No, if he waited it out, something was sure to happen. He would be easier to track her down and-

Why on earth did he make such a stupid mistake?! Revealing so much to someone he didn't know... What was he thinking?! And then, eating so much he threw up... What was happening in his brain?! 

He sighed. And yet, however much he told himself to do the smart thing, the safe thing, he'd already gotten dressed and readied himself to go. He looked down. Long pants and a blank t-shirt with a jacket over the top. Certainly not the standard issued clothes. No, his were taken from high-middle class storage. How? He had a few contacts in the higher areas that tended to have those clothes laying around. 

What would the camera operators think if he wandered around in something other than his standard, issued clothes?

Another sigh, he stood, turning to his normal wear and beginning to change again.

No, he shouldn't be going. He shouldn't be getting ready in the first place. He'd told Devin something other than what was shown on the records. He'd said he was visiting a girl he liked. In the records, he had no romantic attachments or any hints of futuristic romantic attachments and he had clarified that only a week or so ago. By what he said to Devin, it was obvious he'd been meeting someone much longer than a week, especially because he'd recently had little to no time to meet anyone because of the continuous stream of work. The continuous stream that had given him barely enough time to sleep.

Yet, he was somehow at the door, opening it and walking out in his issued clothes.

Was he going to work? That didn't make sense, he was heading in the opposite direction. 

Why was he walking so fast? His worried thoughts had kept him holed in his break room for too long, so long that even if he ran there, he would still be late. That didn't keep him from trying.

A smile overtook his face as he moved faster and faster towards the park and, therefore, the meeting place. Doors, walls, space passed him. A knot holed up in his throat, excitement creating bubbles of air around his vision, concentration keeping that vision from deterring. 

At each thump of his foot across the floor, his heartbeat picked up until it was racing. And he was jogging. And he was running. And then he was through, surrounded by fake trees and plastic grass. Yet, his feet kept moving towards the place his mind always ventured. The strange yet fascinating girl who caused his reckless heart to flutter at just the thought of her name. 

What was he doing? What was he doing!? He shouldn't be going anywhere near her, he shouldn't allow himself to be caught with her!

And then it did matter.

His awareness grew, returning to the present as he realised the giddied expression of his face. He forced a neutral resting face, slowing his footsteps and changing his posture as he bent his back and once more resumed his usual downed and serious image.

What was that!? I'm just... I keep digging myself into a deeper hole... Just stop, relax. If you're going to see her, you better make sure the rest of you remains composed. You may be able to quench suspicion yet... Clearing his head, removing thoughts of Pea from his mind, he walked through the park, slow and steady.

The row of buildings hiding their meeting place stood in front of him. He slowed further. His eyes scanned the top of the building, flicking past every name until it reached 'Chem174 - Tenbre', and he started towards it.

As he reached the corner, bracing himself to start down the side, he cooled his composure, forcing no emotion for the cameras, making sure no change would be visible at the arrival of others - whoever else decided on placing their bets in Pea's hands... if there was anyone at all. Reaching the end of the building, out of the cameras' sight, he turned, readying himself for whatever was ahead.

The space was empty. A frown. He checked his watch. 6:03... He was late... Where was she? 

Silence filled the air as a soft breeze blew, rustling his hair and dripping it over his eyes, obscuring his vision. With a sigh, he ran his hands through it, pulling it behind him and untangling it until it resembled a neat frame for his face to sit in. Maybe he should go... It wasn't too late... With another rustle, he turned around, only to have his vision once more obscured. 

A large head of dark brown hair and a light brown complexion. A few light freckles yet a stern visage was painted into her cheeks. It was the woman from the fifth grand execution. The woman who had the spy under her care, the head of the Geographical Department. What was she doing there? 

His eyes widened. She was going to report him, she wouldn't dare let another suspicious face escape her grasp, especially after she had felt the State closing down on her. She would have no qualms reporting him. 

She held out her hand. "Hello. My name is Laura. Nice to meet you."

Act normal! Maybe she'll let it slide! Grimacing, he took her hand and completed the handshake. "Hi... I'm Richard..." He drew his hand back and straightened his glasses. "So," A forced smile. "Why are you out here, Laura? Just... for a walk?"

She smiled, a sarcasm growing evident in her voice. "No, I'm not. With how much Miss Fortbec raved on about your intelligence, I assumed you'd be a lot smarter. I, with you, intend to join her mission of bringing justice to the State." She paused. "Didn't she tell you about me?"

Richard blinked. What? This woman was an associate of Pea's? She was planning to get rid of the State... in her condition? She just faced the fist of the State! What was she thinking?! "No... She didn't... I would have remembered." A pause. Then again, her insulting remarks were not needed, no matter what state she was in. "However, if you're part of this operation, I agree with you there. I did think people doing something so risky wouldn't go and reveal their intentions to a random stranger." He swallowed. That one, even if he was the one who'd said it, hit a little close to home. 

She sighed. "Whatever." Her eyes brushed over him. "You're early."

He frowned. "No, I was actually late but... so are you."

Laura pursed her lips. "She must have told us different meeting times so we wouldn't look suspicious. Smart."

A head of hair appeared behind her. A sharp noise came from the head and the hair retreated slightly, seeming to stumble back. Hearing the noise, Laura turned around and stepped to the side, allowing Richard to see the new company.

A larger man with light brown, almost blonde hair, who was about half a head shorter than Richard. He opened his mouth and smiled. "Richard? I didn't know you'd be here too! Well, I mean, I suspected, but I didn't know..."

Devin. He was Devin. But that meant... Breath rushed from Richard. It was safe. Everything was safe. That was why Devin had asked those questions... He suspected Richard of being part of Pea's group but had no confirmation unless he asked questions... And he hadn't gotten anything from Richard. He hadn't gotten solid confirmation either way. 

Richard sighed, a slight smile drawing up his cheekbones. "Why are you here? Did Pea invite you too?" 

Devin smiled. "Of course. I've been meeting Miss Fortbec for the longest amount of time... Probably about... One... Maybe two years now... yeah..."

Richard's face transformed. "Seriously? That long?"

He grinned. "Yeah, well, I'm the connection guy!" He scratched his head, finding a bit of dandruff and flicking it off his fingers.

Nodding, slightly perturbed and very uncomfortable, Richard turned away. No, he did not like Devin. "Do you think anyone else is coming?"

Laura checked her watch. "If my timing serves me correct, we're all arriving about five minutes apart... So, the next person should be here-"

A throat cleared behind Richard and he whipped around to meet a masculine figure and a tall, dark gaze. He swallowed, looking away.

A shorter lady stood beside him, black hair tied up and grey eyes piercing into him.

Pea walked forward. "Now you're all here, I should introduce you all." She looked at Richard. A glance down him. Then looked away. 

Richard smiled softly, relaxing the tension in his face. Yet, the amount of potentially dangerous people around and the man standing next to her - probably in a high and powerful position - kept his teeth on edge.  

Indicating towards Richard, she started. "This is Richie. He's the computer brains of this operation. He's a genius with most, if not all, technology and can hack into practically anything." A small smirk at him.

Richard winced. "You know I've hacked into things?" He froze. "Wait, when did you find out?"

She smiled. "I told you, there's a reason why I picked the people I picked. I made sure to research you all before deciding to undergo anything with you." She turned back to the rest of them, a serious undertone backing voice. "He's an invaluable part of our team and I need you all to treat him with respect." A pause. "He's also pretty attractive, so please try to avoid messing up his face or anything."

Red rose across his face as Richard's eyes flicked over those present with an embarrassed wince.

Continuing, she held a hand out to Laura. "This is Laura. As you're probably aware, she's head of the Geography unit so she'll be doing our geography, locations, choosing the correct vehicles for our movement and most of our science areas. We'd be lost without her. Literally and figuratively."

Laura nodded, having already expected her introduction and, most likely, already aware of the other members' areas.

Pea nodded back at her before referring to Devin. "This is Devin. He holds all our connections to whoever we'd need, gaining access outside our area. He can also help convince anyone we need to join our cause."

He grinned, pretending to lift a hat and bowing. "It's my speciality. Yours truly is here to help and manipulate anyone you need to come to our cause... Well... If it's in a humane manner of course. I'm not about to kill someone or anything rash like that."

"Of course. I don't expect you to do any different. Why would you think so?"

He paused, smiling and looking away. 

She turned to the one Richard was most curious about - the tall man with the dark hair and stern eyes. "Don't feel any fear from being with Jeremy. He is a second command officer - and therefore above my station - but he's been with me longer than Devin."

"I thought I was your longest..."

"No." She looked at the man. "How many years now?"

Jeremy's voice was deep and heavy, like a great authoritarian beast and yet warm and strong. Everything about this man screamed masculinity. "About five I think."

"Yes... Jeremy has been with me for about five years. You can trust him."  She looked back at them. "Jeremy is the strength of this operation. Also, because he's a higher station than me, he gives us more clearance on this mission. Less suspicion... It means we'll be able to have more connections with the soldiers."

She paused. "We have another member of our group that wasn't able to meet us today. But, she will be with us when we leave. She's doing almost everything else... There was someone else... but he dropped out." A shrug. "It's fine though, he won't say anything."

Jeremy grunted. 

He was a man of little words.

Pea continued. "I'm going to run over our objective one last time. If anyone has qualms with it, tell me and you can stop meeting me." She crossed her arms. "We're tracking down the vigilante and convincing them to join us in a fight against the State. Then we will take the State down. When we find the vigilante, we will control their actions and make sure they only make things disappear that won't destroy the economy of our world. Understood?"

"Yes."

"Any questions?"

Devin cleared his throat. "Yeah... When and where are we meeting?"

She shrugged. "Don't worry about that. Jeremy or I will come and get you individually when everything's been sorted out and we're ready to leave. Understood?"

They nodded.

"Does anyone want to just... stop? Give up? This is your last chance to do so. If you agree to continue, you won't be able to drop out along the way."

Richard's mind screamed at him to back down, to take more time to consider his options, to say he couldn't because if he continued the consequences would be dire. Whether he got caught or not, taking on this mission, even the idea of it, was deadly. His heart struggled, fighting to step ahead and gain dominance, to be prevalent. Deeply, truly, he wanted to go. He wanted to stay with Pea. He wanted to be with- What was he thinking? 

And with the dark glare Jeremy's eyes bored into him, those doubts relinquished control almost as fast as they had risen.

"We want to do this."

Pea smiled. "Good." She turned to Jeremy.

He scowled down at them. "You'll hear from us shortly."

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

Love Me Again (LMA) Dulcinea

Любовные романы

64.2K 1.1K 11
*I DO NOT OWN THIS NOVEL. THIS IS MY MOST MOST FAVORITE NOVEL AND I WOULD JUST LIKE TO SHARE IT HERE IN WATTPAD FOR YOU GUYS. That's right! She's...
3.4K 108 21
She was always alone.... she never had friends she barely knew what it was like to love someone.... she was perfect.... but so broken.... lost.... A̱...
3.6K 764 14
[𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫]: Join Elena and Jake on journey around Los Angeles no one has seen so far, where they battle personal demons and emerge as a reun...